Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
154 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
127 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
33 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #3121
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
There we go, this is a great pick up.

ever miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

When it came to five-star LB Arthur Brown's announcement today that he would attend UM, Hurricane recruits were transformed into fans.

They were watching or awaiting word on Brown's choice just like the rest of the recruiting world.

"I was watching it on the computer (with a live video stream)," LB commitment Jordan Futch said. "I had no idea where he would pick. I was sitting here like everyone else, shocked. I thought we had a good vibe. But you never knew because he didn't do any interviews. I liked him, he liked me and it worked out perfectly and I'm excited to have him on board.

"I was so excited when he picked Miami. This was extremely big for this recruiting class. I think to land Arthur is a big jump for the linebacker corps, and he'll be a great a.sset to the University of Miami family."

CaneSport spoke with several defensive commitments after Brown's announcement, and all said landing Brown is a major step in the right direction for the Hurricane program.

"The list keeps going up with Miami commits helping to rebuild the program," end Andrew Smith said. "It makes us feel pretty good that we have a good class of linebackers coming in with us. I'm looking forward to this defense getting right.

"The coaches are doing an awesome job getting all these recruits to commit. Everybody is ready to rebuild Miami and bring it back to where it used to be."

Brown's commitment will mean more competition for linebackers like Futch, Brandon Marti and the rest of the linebackers on board. These players are all about competition and aren't shying away from trying to beat out the five-star for a job down the road.

"We're bringing in a good crop of talent, and hopefully we will change the program," Marti said. "They're bringing in five or six linebackers, so there will be competition, but you just have to just work hard and learn the system.

"Coach (Tim) Walton and (Michael) Barrow have been going on recruiting trips, and they like who we're bringing in."

Recruits say they think a reason Shannon & Co. were able to land the kind of top talent that was missing in recent recruiting classes is how hard they work.

And what they preach.

"The coaches and coaching staff and everybody around Miami is doing a great job this year," DB Joe Wylie said. "From the time that you meet them they don't lie to you, everything is honest. The family atmosphere everyone talks about is real. It's a real tight-knit family they have, and that's why they're getting the exceptional players they have."

Futch and Forston lent a hand in landing Brown
A couple of recruits also get some credit for helping land Brown. DT Marcus Forston has talked up Miami to Brown numerous times, and Futch drove down for an unofficial visit while Brown was on campus a few weeks ago. The pair hit it off.

"Me and Marcus really worked our butts off to get him to commit," Futch said. "And I know coach Barrow did a wonderful and terrific job with him. He did a tremendous job recruiting Arthur, showing him the U. We preach family, and this family is what it's all about."

With five stars comes a lot of expectations, of course. Some players live up to them, some don't. Zach Kane, a two-star linebacker commitment from New Jersey, says he's not going to be giving any thought to stars when he's trying to beat out Brown and others for a job.

"It's definitely better to have higher ranked kids than lower ranked kids on a team, but you never know who does these rankings they're rating me off my junior year film," Kane said. "Coach (Jeff) Stoutland said this is a top recruiting class, that they want to start all these freshmen so when they're seniors they'll have four years of experience. They're trying to make a championship team out of it."

Having a playmaker like Brown in the middle of the defense certainly won't hurt as the Canes try to return to their former glory.

"Getting him makes things that much better," Wylie said. "The fact that he plays on defense means a lot to me. Now having exceptional talent in front of you - seeing I play safety - it makes me feel when we get on the field at the same time it makes my job that much easier."

With a highly ranked class that is expected to swell to over 30 players by Signing Day, there will be a lot of freshmen vying to play right away next season.

And that's a selling point for these coaches. A 5-7 season certainly doesn't seem to have hurt anything in Coral Gables.

"The fact that Miami did go 5-7 and there's so many positions to be battled for next year, it makes it that much easier to get the top players," Wylie said.

* Brown's younger brother, Bryce Brown, is also a highly sought recruit. The junior running back will have a big choice to make next year.

Futch spent time with Arthur and Bryce when they were on campus.

"I don't know if it's a package deal, but if we get his brother as well to follow, that would be awesome to get another running back," Futch said. "They're two very talented kids that come from good parents, a good household, have great character."
 9 years ago '07        #3122
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
whats the deal with Tim Walton out as d-coordinator?
 9 years ago '04        #3123
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1401 1401
 ttime236 said:
whats the deal with Tim Walton out as d-coordinator?
he was fu*king up ..basically.

Good DB Coach..Hell of a recruiter...but he wasnt cut as a DC...at least not just yet
 9 years ago '05        #3124
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
so whats that mean...he going back to db coach or hes out of the picture entirely??
 9 years ago '04        #3125
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
 Deeangoe said:
so whats that mean...he going back to db coach or hes out of the picture entirely??
i think he's gone completely

one name being thrown out there as a potential replacement is ed orgeron, the ex-mississippi coach. he coached miami's d-line back in the day.

or maybe shannon promotes barrow to DC, who knows.

either way, expect shannon to be way more involved with the defense from this point on, their performance last year, especially in the last 3 games, was inexcuseable.
 12-18-2007, 03:11 AM         #3126
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
To me the defense suffered more from injuries and lack of talent then coaching. If anyone should be replaced its our Offensive Coordinator. Hes god awful and fu*ked up so many easy inside the 5 plays. He cost us at least 10 touchdowns I can remember.
 9 years ago '04        #3127
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Injury not serious for UM recruit Jacory Harris

Northwestern quarterback Jacory Harris underwent an MRI Monday morning to check the severity of the knee injury he suffered in Saturday's Class 6A state championship game in Orlando.

Harris told The Miami Herald he strained the MCL and ACL of his left knee, and did not tear any ligaments as he had originally feared.

''The doctor was examining my leg and he said that the ACL was also a bit loose,'' said Harris, who suffered the injury with 11:41 left in the Bulls' 41-0 win against Orlando Boone that clinched the team's second straight state title. "You can tell [University of Miami quarterback] Robert Marve I'll be ready to compete with him in the spring.''

Harris, a University of Miami commitment, was walking on crutches with his left leg wrapped in a cast at school Monday. He said he will have to wear the cast for a week and then a protective brace for his knee for the following six weeks.

Harris is one of four Northwestern players, including defensive lineman Marcus Forston, linebacker Sean Spence and wide receiver Aldarius Johnson who said they will enroll early at UM.

Harris was undefeated as the Bulls' starter the past two seasons, leading Northwestern to a consensus No. 1 national ranking this season.
 9 years ago '04        #3128
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
To me the defense suffered more from injuries and lack of talent then coaching. If anyone should be replaced its our Offensive Coordinator. Hes god awful and fu*ked up so many easy inside the 5 plays. He cost us at least 10 touchdowns I can remember.
i think the offense will be fine next year, as we gradually incorporate more of the spread offense into the playbook. the playmakers we have coming in at WR and QB flourished in the spread in high school. i dont even think a moron like nix can fu*k up with the new toys he'll have to play with.

and i think walton got shafted because the defense got worse as the year went on, missed tackles, linebackers and DBs out of position, blown coverages....it was a mess.
 12-18-2007, 03:25 AM         #3129
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

No. 1 LB Brown adds to outstanding Miami class
by: Billy Tucker
posted: Monday, December 17, 2007 | Print Entry
filed under: Football Recruiting, Insider Recruiting, Miami (FL) Hurricanes, USC Trojans

With the commitment from ESPN's No. 1-rated linebacker prospect Arthur Brown (Wichita, Kan./East) this afternoon, Randy Shannon and linebacker coach Michael Barrow not only added to the talented depth of linebacker prospects heading to Miami in 2008, they potentially added a linebacker with the physical tools and fierce-hitting style to carry on the tradition of great All-Americans at the position like the aforementioned Barrow. Brown is a rare defensive talent and we expect the No. 6-rated overall player in the ESPN 150 to make and an immediate impact with the Canes next fall.

As a Scouts Inc. staff, we were an awe of his talents from an evaluation standpoint when viewing junior film this past spring. Watching him play live in the fall not only justified our high rating but actually impressed us even more.

Brown possesses a great blend of size and speed, but it his explosiveness in the short-area that is rare and a component of his game that you just can't coach. When this fast-twitched athlete zeroes in on a ball carrier, he generates velocity so quickly that he hits with the power of a 230-pound 'backer. That rare ability allows him to blow up plays at the point of attack with strength or burst through the small, backside run crease underneath the cutoff block for five-yard losses. Not many spots between the white lines that Brown can't make plays from; he can attack downhill between the tackles, chase sideline-to-sideline with great range or make an athletic play in coverage with the hips and fluidity of an elite skill player.

Miami did part ways with ESPN's No. 6 OLB Lerentee McCray (Dunnellon, Fla.) last week, but Brown's commitment still gives the Canes six potential prospects at outside linebacker in their 2008 class, including five in the ESPN 150. However, this pledge could precipitate the move from linebacker to end for stud pass-rusher Marcus Robinson (Homestead, Fla.) and perhaps keep Ramon Buchanan (Melbourne, Fla./Palm Bay), ESPN's No. 2-rated outside backer, as a hybrid strong safety.

Linebacker depth is probably not a problem for Shannon, a former Hurricanes linebacker himself, and a Miami program that could earn the label as the new Linebacker U once Brown and Co. finish what project to be outstanding college careers.

Miami currently holds down the No. 1 recruiting class heading into the holidays with an impressive 11 ESPN 150 members and 26 total commitments. The defensive speed is impressive and it has done a great job in ours eyes addressing all areas of team needs.

A note to keep your eye on is the possibility that Shannon and Barrow went after Brown aggressively to land a high-valued prospect, regardless of position, but also in anticipation of a few more Sunshine State linebackers looking around and going elsewhere, like McCray.
Video of his first interview after he announced. Everyone can watch it.

Last edited by Hurricane Ra; 12-18-2007 at 03:30 AM..
 9 years ago '04        #3130
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
UM FOOTBALL
Defensive coordinator Walton fired
Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon fired Tim Walton after a season in which the defense, once college football's best, was ranked 30th nationally.
Posted on Tue, Dec. 18, 2007Digg del.icio.us AIM reprint print email
BY MANNY NAVARRO, BARRY JACKSON AND SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN

TIM CHAPMAN / MIAMI HERALD STAFF
According to sources, UM defensive coordinator Tim Walton has been fired.
Nation's No. 2-rated LB chooses UM
Injury not serious for UM recruit Jacory Harris
An ailing University of Miami offense was joined this season by something unfamiliar to Hurricanes football fans the past several years -- an ailing defense.

And in response, UM coach Randy Shannon has taken action.

Shannon fired defensive coordinator Tim Walton on Monday, two sources close to UM confirmed Monday night.

Walton, 36, served as defensive backs coach for his first three seasons with the Hurricanes, then was promoted to defensive coordinator before the 2007 season. But UM's defense -- by far its strength for several years -- grew considerably worse as this past season progressed.

The Hurricanes, who finished 5-7 and are not going to a bowl game for the first time in 10 years, were ranked 30th nationally in total defense, 53rd in scoring defense, 38th in pass defense, 63rd in pass efficiency defense and 41st in rushing defense.

In 2006, UM was ranked seventh in total defense, 13th in scoring defense, 40th in pass defense, 24th in pass efficiency defense and fourth in rushing defense.

UM athletic director Paul Dee, who was at the Hurricanes men's basketball game Monday night, neither denied nor confirmed the news through a.ssociate athletic director Jim Frevola.

''We're not making any comments regarding personnel changes,'' Dee told Frevola to relay to The Miami Herald. ``You'll have to refer all personnel questions to coach Randy Shannon.''

Shannon, the former UM defensive coordinator, recently told reporters he would not fire any coaches, saying how important it was to maintain stability.

''You've got to get stability,'' Shannon said. ``Remember when the Pittsburgh Steelers were doing good? stability. That's the key. You've got to be stabilized. You can always go in and every other year fire somebody, get a new guy in, fire somebody, get a new guy in, [and] you'll go up for a little bit and then you're going to go back down. You've got to build that foundation for what you're trying to do.''

Walton, from Columbus, Ga., was a four-year letterman as a defensive back at Ohio State from 1990 through 1993. He started his career as an a.ssistant at Bowling Green, moving on to Memphis, Syracuse and finally Louisiana State, before he left former LSU coach Nick Saban for Larry Coker's Canes in '04.

In 2005, the UM pass defense led the nation, allowing 152.1 yards per game. This season, the UM pass defense gave up 212.1 yards per game. In 2007, UM allowed 345.9 yards per game and 26 points per game.

Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Forston, a five-star recruit who has orally committed to the Hurricanes for next season, was shocked to hear the news.

''That's the guy I built my relationship with in recruiting,'' Forston said of Walton, who recruited all six of the current Northwestern commitments. ``It won't change the way I feel about UM, but I really liked Coach Walton. He was somebody you could always go to.''
 9 years ago '04        #3131
1000bluntz 
space
space
$15,029 | Props total: 2229 2229
Heard from a very reliable source that PJ is a Gator and Brandon Harris might be as well. I feel better about PJ and the source I heard it from was dead on last recruiting season with his intel.
 9 years ago '06        #3132
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,723 | Props total: 12271 12271

can somebody get this article?
 9 years ago '04        #3133
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
December 18, 2007

Jeremy Crabtree
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

Related Links:
Video: Brown announcesVideo: Harper announcesHarper, Brown gallery

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
WICHITA, Kan. Watching his brother make his announcement Monday afternoon at the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame, five-star 2009 prospect Bryce Brown couldn't help but think ahead of where he will be a year from now.

Will he be announcing his decision at a press conference?

Will he be picking Miami, the school his five-star brother Arthur Brown, announced for?

Bryce Brown learned a lot from watching his brother's announcement on Monday.
Will he be making his announcement in Wichita or somewhere else?

Brown, the nation's No. 10 player in the 2009 class from Wichita (Kan.) East, talked about all of these things with Rivals.com on Monday. But make no mistake about it, the 6-foot, 212-pound running back was extremely proud of his older brother, he felt blessed to get to learn from his experiences.

"It's a blessing watching him go through the process," Brown said.

"I learned a lot of information that's helpful for me. I can take that information and process it and it'll help me when I'm picking out my college. Hopefully my decision and how I handle the process turns out just as good as Arthur's did.

"This is something we're going to all remember. It's a blessing to go through this and then what I'll go through next year. I have to give a lot of thanks to God first and then my family for letting me a part of this with Arthur. Both of my parents did an excellent job of raising us."

Brown, who already has offers from more than 50 schools and lists some top teams like Florida, Florida State, Kansas, Kansas State, Michigan, Nebraska, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Miami, USC and Texas A&M, said it started to sink in that he will be making a big announcement like Arthur when he saw around 100 friends and family pile into the press conference.

It definitely sunk even more when the cameras from television stations all over the state turned their bright lights on to hear about where Arthur was heading.

"At first, I was thinking, 'man, me next year, this will be me.' " Brown said. "But I was here early so it settled in with me. I just wanted to see everybody's face and reaction when he announced his college. I know he made the right decision. He said God led him to Miami, and God doesn't make mistakes. God led him to The U, so The U is where he needed to be."

The question on everybody's mind now is will he be at Miami also?

"Just because he's going there, doesn't necessarily mean I'm going there, too," Brown said.

"It would be nice to play with my brother at the next level. I've always played with him, but I'm going to go through the process myself and take what I can from it. If the Spirit leads me to Miami, then I'll go to Miami. But it could lead me somewhere else."

Brown reportedly has narrowed his list to 15 schools he's going to consider. He said on Monday he wasn't ready to release that information, but he also said it won't be too long before he does so he can avoid the "headaches" of having to deal with 50 schools recruiting him.

There's also been a lot speculation that Brown has played his last down of football in the state of Kansas.

Rumors have been flying for weeks that Brown and his family would follow Arthur to city where he picked to play his college football in.

Brown said is a possibility he and his family are considering.

"There's been some talk (moving to Miami)," Brown said. "We're going to sit down with my parents and with Brian (Butler) here to see what opportunities are out there. We're going to pray about it and let God make the decision in the end."
 9 years ago '04        #3134
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
 1000bluntz said:
Heard from a very reliable source that PJ is a Gator and Brandon Harris might be as well. I feel better about PJ and the source I heard it from was dead on last recruiting season with his intel.
you daydreaming.

If the gators get Johnson, they won't get brandon harris. And even if johnson does go to uf, and brandon doesn't wind up in Miami, he'll most likely go to LSU.
 9 years ago '04        #3135
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
thanks cap
 9 years ago '04        #3136
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
December 20, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Homestead High School LB Marcus Robinson has set up official visits to Florida and Florida State for January.

But he remains a Cane commitment.

And he says it's solid.

"It's still a real solid commitment," Robinson said. "I'm taking the visits really just to make sure Miami's my best choice and to have fun."

Robinson says he's told Cane coaches about his visit plans and that "They don't mind."

Robinson hosted linebackers coach Michael Barrow last week.

"We were talking about what it would be like if everybody that committed to Miami came," Robinson said. "It would be a great recruiting class, I know that."

Robinson says he's especially excited to have some of the Miami Northwestern players with him at UM.

"That would be good having some of those guys lining up with me," he said.

Head coach Randy Shannon also stays in regular contact with Robinson. The two last spoke four days ago.

"He was just saying to keep doing well in my classes," Robinson said. "It wasn't about football. To me he's a cool dude."
 9 years ago '04        #3137
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
December 20, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Miami Northwestern High School OL Benjamin Jones says the earliest he will announce a final decision is the middle of January.

That's because he's taking some visits between now and then.

The 6-foot-5, 280-pounder will visit Clemson the first weekend in January and has set up an LSU visit for Jan. 18. He's not sure yet when he'll be visiting UM, but says he will definitley take an official there.

He says Tennessee is also in his top four, and he will visit there at some point as well.

Does he have a frontrunner?

"They're all the same," Jones said. "It'll be based on my visits to those schools.

"When I know, that'll be it."

Asked specifically about Miami, Jones simply says, "They're high on my list."

Jones spoke with Cane coaches after his team's state title win last weekend.

"I talked to coach (Jeff) Stoutland," Jones said. "He was congratulating me on the win, saying we did a good job in the win."

Jones says he made big strides this year in the transition from defensive line to offensive line.

"Everything just came natural he said. "I worked on technique a lot."

He knows he'll have a lot more work at the next level.

"It's a big transition (to college), because the high school level is not all that, and the college level is all about technique," he said.
 9 years ago '04        #3138
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
December 19, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Miami (FL) Archbishop Carroll High School CB George Baker remains an Auburn commitment.

But he says the Hurricanes are very much on his radar.

He's waiting to see if he gets a Miami scholarship offer - coach Patrick Nix visited him at school last week and they spoke about the status of an offer.

"That went well," the 5-foot-11, 167-pounder with 4.4-second speed said. "He was just telling me that coach (Randy) Shannon was out of town and that him and coach (Wesley) McGriff really like me but that they're waiting on coach Shannon to come in town so he can look at my tapes to see if they're going to offer. Coach Nix said to save a visit for them."

Assuming UM offers, Baker says he would visit in January. He also has January visits planned for UCF Jan. 11 and South Florida Jan. 25. He took a visit to Rutgers last weekend.

"It went well," Baker said. "Rutgers is also in the picture."

Baker finished his senior season with 40 tackles, three interceptions and two forced fumbles. He played running back on offense and had 209 carries for 1,643 yards and 19 touchdowns.

Baker says he "doesn't know" if he'll remain committed to Auburn if the Canes offer.

"I grew up watching Miami," he said. "Miami is my favorite team. It's in my hometown, I live three blocks away from the campus."

He says he initially committed to Auburn because "I went up there on my visit and I fell in love with it. I felt like it was a perfect fit for me."
 9 years ago '06        #3139
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,723 | Props total: 12271 12271
good looks cap
 9 years ago '04        #3140
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
WR Travis Benjamin commits

Another high profile high school receiver has committed to the University of Miami. Belle Glade Glades Central's Travis Benjamin, a four-star Rivals.com rated recruit, said he told recruiting coordinator Clint Hurtt moments ago he's chosen the Hurricanes.

"I felt like it was time -- Miami's a great fit for me," said Benjamin, who at 5-11, 165 pounds and 4.4-speed in the 40 said he hopes to not only play receiver but contribute on punt and kick returns next season. " I'm very excited to be a part of this class. I think when you put a lot of good players together you can turn things around. I want to help turn things around at The U."

Benjamin, the cousin of former Hurricane defensive back Alphonso Marshall, becomes the fifth receiver to committ to the Hurricanes joining Northwestern's Aldarius Johnson and Kendal Thompkins and Booker T. Washington standouts Davon Johnson and Thearon Collier. The Hurricanes are likely done recruiting receivers although I'm told a spot will likely be left open for Northwestern's Tommy Streeter.

Benjamin says he is qualified for UM with a 2.8 GPA and 18 ACT score and will enroll at UM in the fall.

:applause:the takeover has begun
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
22 hours ago