Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside She Doesn't Skip Ass Day!
54 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Personality Test: What Did You See First?
46 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA David Stern: There Was Never A Chris Paul To Lakers Trade To 'Void'
39 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Melo IG post to his boss Phil Jackson
65 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #3081
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
i guess...dudes like taylor, reed, buchanon, rumph, etc etc made me so spoild i was expecting phillips to be that same type of gamebreaker

but then again these last 2 years ive missed more canes game becuz of work than ever in my life
 9 years ago '04        #3082
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
A perfect finish for Northwestern
Top-ranked Northwestern scored the game-winning touchdown with 18 seconds left to defeat Deerfield Beach and advance to the Class 6A state championship next week.

Northwestern's nightmare scenario was less than three minutes from becoming a reality.

The Bulls were witnessing another championship dream ruined by Deerfield Beach until a defensive stand on fourth-and-goal gave Northwestern the ball on its own 1-yard line with 2:31 left.

That's when the more than 15,000 fans at the Orange Bowl on Friday night watched the No. 1-ranked team in the country put together a drive that will be remembered as one of the greatest finishes in Miami-Dade County high school football history.

A 5-yard touchdown run by Northwestern's Tyresse Jones with 18 seconds left capped a 12-play, 99-yard game-winning drive that lifted the Bulls to a 19-14 comeback victory against the Bucks in a Class 6A state semifinal.

''That's the kind of stuff champions are made of,'' said Northwestern senior defensive end Marcus Forston, who was one of several tacklers who stopped Deerfield Beach quarterback Denard Robinson on a 1-yard sneak on fourth-and-goal at the Northwestern 2-yard line. ``A finish like that separates the great teams from the good teams.''

Deerfield Beach (11-3), which handed the Bulls their last loss in the Class 6A semifinal two years ago, got the ball back with 12 seconds left at its own 20-yard line.

Robinson completed a 15-yard pass to Demarcus Fleming and advanced to the Bulls' 40-yard line on a penalty with one second left.

But Deerfield Beach could not get a play off after the clock restarted and time expired.

Northwestern (14-0) tied the Miami-Dade County record for consecutive victories with 29 in a row.

The Bulls join Carol City (1996-97) and Southridge (1993-94), which had 29-game winning streaks during back-to-back championship seasons.

The Bulls will try to accomplish that feat and break the record when they play Orlando Boone (14-0) next Saturday at 7 p.m. in the Class 6A state championship game at the Florida Citrus Bowl in Orlando.

''That's some storybook stuff,'' Northwestern coach Billy Rolle said. ``We never quit. We felt as long as we stayed within one score, we'd have a chance. But that was special.''

The drive started with a nearly disastrous play when quarterback Jacory Harris threw a screen to Kendal Thompkins, which he bobbled and dropped in his own end zone with a defender poised to make an interception.

Junior running back Daquan Hargrett got Northwestern out of the hole by rushing for 11 yards and a first down.

After a short completion to Aldarius Johnson, an encroachment penalty on the Bucks gave the Bulls another first down at their own 23.

Jones ran a draw play for 15 yards and another first down.

Harris then connected with Thompkins on an 18-yard completion into Deerfield Beach territory. Then on the longest play of the series, Johnson caught a quick pass from Harris and scampered to the Bucks' 18-yard line with 1:08 left.

Three plays later, Northwestern faced a fourth-and-1 on the Bucks' 9-yard line with 31 seconds left.

The Bulls had already been stopped twice on fourth-and-1 earlier in the game on a draw play and a quarterback sneak.

''I was frustrated the whole game because we kept getting stopped on these plays we're not used to running,'' said Harris, who completed 11 of 22 passes for 195 yards and two touchdowns. He threw only his fifth interception of the season in the second quarter, which Khambrel Garland returned 34 yards for a Deerfield touchdown.

``I knew I had to put it in the hands of our playmakers and get it done.''

Instead of running, Harris delivered a quick pass that Johnson caught for a 4-yard first-down completion just as he was hit by a Deerfield defender at the 5-yard line.

Johnson had dropped three passes earlier in the game, including two potential touchdowns. But this completion set up Jones' winning score on the ensuing play.

''I told the guys in the huddle to have faith in me and I'd carry it into the end zone,'' Jones said. ``I wasn't even supposed to play because my shoulder was hurt. But I had to be there to come through for this team.''
 9 years ago '05        #3083
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
damn crazy final 2 mins
 9 years ago '04        #3084
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Bulls proving they're special

The Northwestern High football team had won renown, a No. 1 ranking and 28 straight games by usually trampling its opponents and amassing an average of six touchdowns on the scoreboard.

Until Friday night.

The Bulls proved they can win close ones, too. Turn up the suspense to white-knuckle intensity, blast the pressure to blowtorch force, and the Bulls still find a way.

In the Class 6A state semifinal, Northwestern barely beat the clock and Deerfield Beach, 19-14, with a cinematic 99-yard drive that left everyone tingling.

Is it too early to call it the last classic in the soon-to-be-demolished Orange Bowl, a stadium that has hosted so many?

As Northwestern fans exhaled and extracted fingernails from between their teeth, they were ready to call the Bulls' incredible comeback one of the best ever.

And there is no question this Bulls team is one of the best ever, perhaps the very best, in Miami-Dade County high school history.

We've got to wait another week before making a firm declaration. Northwestern has to beat Orlando Boone in Orlando for the state title.

On Friday, the Bulls made their fans wait until there were only 18 seconds left in the game. That's when Tyresse Jones ran into the end zone for the game-winning touchdown.

ONE LAST CHANCE

For most of the night, underdog Deerfield Beach clung to a 14-12 lead, repeatedly stuffing the bigger Bulls on big defensive plays and flitting by them on key offensive plays.

Northwestern got one last chance, after Deerfield failed to score on fourth down. The Bulls took over on their own one-yard-line with 2:31 left.

Quarterback Jacory Harris surveyed the 99 yards between himself and victory, took a deep breath and channeled New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady.

''I knew I had to drive my team all the way down the field,'' he said. ``I remember Tom Brady doing the same thing against the Ravens. I envisioned what he did. I kept replaying it.''

Then, with the clock ticking loudly in their heads, Harris and his teammates did what they've been doing since they were little kids: They ran the two-minute drill, and they ran it to perfection, with rushes up the middle, passes to the sideline and a fourth down completion with 31 seconds left.

When Jones scored, Bulls bedlam.

They are heroes in Liberty City. And all of Miami.

Harris wore 305 stickers under his eyes. He was representing his neighborhood with poise and pride.

NO PANIC

You got the sense throughout the game that the Bulls were subconsciously procrastinating, that they knew deep down they had the ability and grit to pull victory out of their pockets.

''Physically, they beat us, but we found some heart from somewhere,'' Northwestern coach Billy Rolle said. ``Even though they outplayed us, I really never felt panic. I thought we could pull it out.''

Now they have won 29 straight, tying the county record held by Southridge and Carol City.

Early in the season, Northwestern traveled to Texas and defeated then No. 1-Southlake Carroll High in a packed, hostile Dallas stadium to take over the top spot. They needed to win the rest of their games to be named the undisputed national champions. They have one game to go.

This is Northwestern's time. There was the Southridge era, under coach Don Soldinger. Hialeah-Miami Lakes, coached by Joe Brodsky, and Carol City, coached by Walt Frazier, were also dominating teams.

Most steeped in lore are the Coral Gables teams of the 1960s, coached by Nick Kotys. In 1964, the Cavaliers won the mythical national title.

But back then, high school teams didn't travel around the country, as they do now. Nor were they analyzed on the Internet and ranked in various polls. Nor were their games broadcast on TV.

Northwestern has established itself as finest in the land in 2007, when scrutiny of prep football is much more precise.

''Right now, I would rank this Northwestern team No. 1, Coral Gables No. 2 and Carol City in its heyday No. 3,'' said William Wilcox, the game's announcer. ``But they've still got to win the state title. I'm confident because I'm a Bull. Class of 1967. Wherever we roam, we call it home.''

Wilcox has been calling high school games for 26 years. He saw Deerfield beat Northwestern two years ago in a strikingly similar scenario -- except that a Bull receiver was out of bounds when he caught what would have been the winning score.

''It's tough to compare eras, and the kids today are certainly bigger and faster,'' he said. ``But this Northwestern team has done it all.''

This Northwestern team also came back from the chaos and scandal of last season, when a star player was charged with s3xual battery in a school bathroom and administrators and coaches were fired or transferred for allegedly protecting him. Superintendent Rudy Crew considered suspending the football program.

This team has distanced itself and distinguished itself. On Friday, the Bulls screwed their courage to the sticking point, and they did not fail.

''What a ball game!'' Wilcox shouted into the microphone. ``Remember, remember, remember.'
that bold part's for u, Ra
 9 years ago '05        #3085
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$14,645 | Props total: 595 595
lol @ Brock Berlin starting for the Rams tomorrow (today technically). Didn't think I'd see the day he started an NFL game.
 9 years ago '04        #3086
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
December 9, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Dunnellon (FL) High School LB Lerentee McCray says he is no longer a Miami commitment.

But he says it's not by choice.

"Yesterday coach (Michael) Barrow called me and we made an agreement where I'm not committed anymore," McCray said.

McCray says Barrow asked him not to take any visits, but when he said he was going ahead with the visits that he was told "I'm no longer on the board."

Miami has been burned in recent years by late decommitments, so coaches are apparently taking a different approach this year.

"They didn't want me taking the visits, heard all these rumors (about a late decommitment)," McCray said.

UM already has a large number of commitments and has seemingly more on the way, and coaches apparently don't want to risk committing to a player who is not going to be there on signing day. Antone Smith, Preston Parker and Deonte Thompson are among the recent top prospects who indicated they were going to Miami only to change their minds in the final hours of recruiting.

McCray's reaction to being told UM no longer considered him a commitment?

"I was surprised," McCray said.

He says, if not for that, he would still be a Cane commitment right now.

But he also says "I don't know if I would have wound up at Miami."

McCray visited Tennessee this weekend and says "it went pretty well for the most part."

He says he will also visit Florida, South Carolina and Florida State.

McCray currently lists over 40 scholarship offers.

Where will he wind up now?

"Right now I don't know," McCray said. "I'm just trying to make the best decision for me, a business decision."
 9 years ago '04        #3087
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,798 | Props total: 1401 1401
figured it was only a matter of time before he bounced.

but we might get some good news tommorow. dont know who but supposidly.

and dont forget we're still in the running for AB....and all signs point in a good direction
 9 years ago '06        #3088
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,695 | Props total: 12228 12228
Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

i hope we do have some good news coming up soon, cause if the coaching staff are just giving up on recruits cause there wavering we are in big trouble

9 years ago '07        #3089
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
long as we got the northwestern boys
 12-10-2007, 12:01 AM         #3090
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 madness said:
that bold part's for u, Ra

Good looks! Thats whats hood for real. Get in that Tom Brady state of mind.

I knew we weren't going to get all the recruits but I got greedy and I'm pissed . Whatever I have some doubts about Shannon in some of his choices but not in his closing ability. I might say hes got a little Jimmy Johnson mind games in him. Keep it up!
 9 years ago '07        #3091
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
if anyone that has a scout.com account could post this

9 years ago '05        #3092
space
space
Alright I haven't been following nearly as close as I should have been. What can you guys tell me about Jacory Harris? Looks a little light for a QB. Is he gonna be the QB that gets Miami back on the right track, or do you think the kid that got injured before the year started is (Mavre or something I believe).

Also is Ramon Buchanan related to Philip?
 9 years ago '04        #3093
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 QualityRecords said:
Alright I haven't been following nearly as close as I should have been. What can you guys tell me about Jacory Harris? Looks a little light for a QB. Is he gonna be the QB that gets Miami back on the right track, or do you think the kid that got injured before the year started is (Mavre or something I believe).

Also is Ramon Buchanan related to Philip?
Evaluation: For a guy who is such a good athlete and can make things happen with his legs, Harris has the upside to be just as good a passer in time. He is very much like former Ohio State QB Troy Smith -- a competent passer with the potential to be an excellent passer with some development. He plays in a scheme that really accentuates his strengths. He's in a very deep shotgun on every snap and gets good depth away from the line. They spread it out, which makes him dangerous as a dual-threat guy when things break down because he is an explosive runner with good initial quickness. He is a lanky athlete with good height -- is built like a receiver. He is a shifty and smooth athlete who can create his own plays when the initial play breaks down. He will make people miss, and when he is on the perimeter, he puts tremendous pressure on a defense because he can throw it. He has a whip-like release and more-than-adequate arm strength. He shows enough zip to fit the ball into tight spots when on time and shows solid touch and accuracy on the fade route. He throws very well on the move to either side and can throw across his body. For all of Harris' athletic skills, he can be erratic. Will c*ck and wind-up at times, and delivery mechanics can be inconsistent. Feet are not always set, and his accuracy suffers. Loses power on the deep ball and can only go so far vertically. You worry about the fact that he is rarely, if ever, under center. Overall, Harris is the ultimate spread offense QB -- he can run, he can throw and he is competitive. He is blessed with having great players around him and a scheme that suits him. Needs to be in a similar style at the next level to maximize his tools.

whoever wins the battle out of marve and harris will easily be an upgrade over the recent QBs

and i dont think ramon buchanon is related to phillip
 9 years ago '05        #3094
space
space
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to madness again.

I'll get you with props soon enough, thanks for posting that.
 9 years ago '04        #3095
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
NW's Spence exudes brains with the brawn
Northwestern linebacker Sean Spence, a UM commitment, has anchored the Bulls defense with his mental and physical talents.

Before Jacory Harris pieced together the magical 99-yard drive, before Tyreese Jones steamrolled his way into the end zone to save the season of the nation's No. 1-ranked high school football team last Friday night, Sean Spence had only a few seconds to react to what his football instincts were telling him.

Deerfield Beach had a fourth-and-goal at the Bulls' 2-yard line and quarterback Denard Robinson was only a dive and a stretch away from ending Northwestern's 28-game winning streak. But like he usually does, Spence, the brains of Northwestern's defense, saw what was coming and told his team what to do to stop it.

''He was looking around for a hole,'' said Spence, a 6-foot, 195-pound senior and University of Miami commitment, who has started 41 consecutive games at weak-side linebacker for Northwestern since his freshman year. ``I saw his eyes and I hollered, sneak, sneak, sneak.''

Defensive tackle Marcus Forston heard his best friend's voice and did the rest.

''We knew what he was doing and we outsmarted them,'' Forston said. ``It was win or go home.''

Northwestern (14-0) will play for the Class 6A state championship Saturday night -- and a potential mythical national title -- when it takes on Orlando Boone (14-0) at the Citrus Bowl. The Bulls know the reason they still have that opportunity is because of the many plays -- including the one last Friday -- their defensive leader has made.

''Sean is the defense,'' said defensive coordinator Rodney Harris, whose son is star quarterback Jacory Harris. ``He's the brains of the entire defense. Without Sean's presence on the field or in the classroom or on the boards, we're a different ball team.

``The kid has a special knack for football. He knows the game. He understands it well. He's always prepared. He's a film freak. He loves to sit down and break down his opponents. He picks little tendencies they may have. Overall, he's just incredible.''

HEATING UP

Spence, one of six current Bulls orally committed to the University of Miami, has made more tackles and big plays for Northwestern's defense in the past three years than any player.

In the past couple of weeks, colleges have turned up their intensity in his recruitment. Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer, Florida a.ssistant Doc Holliday and North Carolina coach Butch Davis have visited Northwestern in the past week trying to sway him and Forston. But Spence said he is UM-bound.

''There's no place like home,'' Spence said. ``I want to play in front of my fans, my family, my mom and dad. Plus, I want to play with these guys. We're family.''

Larry Blustein, who has followed recruiting in South Florida since 1971, says he believes the Hurricanes are getting a special player in Spence, rated the 15th-best outside linebacker in the country by Rivals.com.

''Sean Spence is a Jesse Armstead clone,'' Blustein said. ``People said Jesse [a former Hurricane] was too skinny at 6-feet, 200 pounds, that he needed to play safety. How many years did he play linebacker in the NFL? Sean is just like him, smart, athletic. He's always two steps ahead of the game.''

REGULAR STANDOUT

Spence has been a football star and exceptional student all his life. Growing up in Opa Locka, he played quarterback, running back and linebacker at Bunche Park Optimist. In the classroom, he has made the honor roll regularly. As a senior at Northwestern, he has a 2.9 GPA and has an impressive score of 24 on the ACT.

Forston said Spence spends so much time studying, he often has to beg him to go out. ''He's a mama's boy,'' Forston said. ``People see the dreads, the [gold teeth in his mouth] and the first thing they probably a.ssume is he's a thug or a hard-headed kid. But he's not. He's a humble guy that you can call for anything. He comes and picks me up everyday for school. He's my alarm clock. He screams at me and wakes me up.''

It didn't take coaches at Northwestern long to discover Spence's talent or his smarts. Spence never got a chance to play for his father, Sam, on the Bulls' JV football team and made his first start against Carol City as a freshman in a playoff game.

A year later as a sophomore, he was eating lunch in the Bulls' locker room and dissecting film with Bulls coaches. Before long, Spence was making audibles and checks and leading the defense. But it's his instincts that make the biggest impression, coach Billy Rolle said.

''I try to make my presnap reads before the play begins,'' Spence said. ``I look at the offensive lineman's hands. Is he pressing hard or is he sitting back? Where are the quarterback's eyes? A lineman will tell you a lot of what's going to happen. By me studying film, I know what's going to happen before it happens.''

Together, Spence and Forston said they have big plans to help UM next season. And there's a chance both could play early. But for now, all that matters is the final game they'll play in blue and gold.

''The first thing I got to do when I get there [UM], is get stronger, learn the defense, the little things,'' Spence said. ``But for now, all I got to worry about is Boone.''
 9 years ago '06        #3096
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,695 | Props total: 12228 12228
good looks madness
 9 years ago '04        #3097
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Off to Orlando

I'm leaving to the land of mouse today for the state high school football championships at the Citrus Bowl and I've got to say this is probably the most excited I've been about covering football all season.

Northwestern, St. Thomas and Booker T. Washington have a chance to do something special as teams. But what's most exciting to me will be seeing this amazing collection of talent -- many of them future Canes -- play their final high school games. The past couple of months, I've grown to get to know these kids, like Jacory Harris, Marcus Forston, Sean Spence and Brandon Harris about as good as I did guys like Kenny Phillips, Bryan Pata, Dwayne Bowe and many others while I was on the high school beat for six years.

This group of seniors is about as talented and as special I've ever been around. Not only are they amazing on the field, but they have tremendous character and personality off it. And they're all smart kids too, who don't want to be around trouble. I spent four hours at Northwestern on Tuesday watching Forston and Spence break down film, then chucked it up with the guys during practice. With the exception of Streeter, whom I'm still convinced is 50-50 on the Canes, I think all of the best players on the Northwestern and Booker T. rosters will end up Canes.

Not that other coaches aren't trying to stop that from happening. Forston and Spence told me North Carolina's Butch Davis stopped by last week. Florida a.ssistant Doc Holliday was there on Tuesday when I was at there and Andre Fernandez spotted Tennessee coach Phillip Fullmer there on Wednesday. On Tuesday, I saw Holliday take Spence and Forston into Billy Rolle's office for 10 minutes alone.

But Canes fans have no reason to worry. Behind the scenes, I get the sense these Northwestern kids are simply having fun with this recruiting process. But what about the rumors? The players are just having fun with the people who call them everyday to bother them about where they're leaning. The biggest thing is they're trying not to be rude to these college coaches -- or those recruiting reporters -- who stop by their schools to see them. When Holliday left, Forston rolled his eyes and told me, "That guy doesn't quit. But I guess he has to because if not he'll get fired."

Forston, who is slowly becoming a bit of a UM fan favorite through this recruiting process because of some of his comments, hit me with some great lines Tuesday when I asked him about what opposing coaches were telling him to try to sway him from The U. Forston said many opposing coaches are trying to put down Miami's facilities, they bring up safety, the shooting deaths of Pata and Sean Taylor, the current losing going on and the future of Randy Shannon as coach. Forston, though, isn't buying any of it. And he's even got a nickname for Holliday -- "Snake Eyes."

"Like I said before and I'll say it again even though they don't care, I'm committed to the Hurricanes. That's the first thing I tell them. The things the tell me is how big their facilities are. How they got a stadium on their campus. How they got an academic building inside the stadium. But that doesn't matter to me. It's the coaching staff around you and the work ethic that's built in you that's going to get you to the next level, not no facilities. The University of Miami might have two whirlpools and the next one might have six, but it's still doing the same job.

"The worst thing anybody said was how Miami is not a safe environment. But they don't know where I stay at. I live in the Pork 'N Beans projects, Liberty City housing. It can't get no worse than that. So, I tell them, if I can stay out of trouble around there, how am I going to get in trouble in Coral Gables? You can take me to hell and I'll find a way to get out of that."

"Another thing, people have been saying, 'Oh its not the old Miami. They're finished.' But I'm going to prove them wrong. Once you're a great program, you'll always be a great program. Everybody has a bad season... they had a group of young guys. Now, we come in, guys from Northwestern and Booker T. who have played together for a long time and things will change."

Forston said he expects for him and Spence to be roommates when they enroll in classes in January. Although, Forston told me he's still waiting on his test score to return before he can enroll. "I'm going to be there," he promised me. "Don't worry about that."

- As for quarterback Jacory Harris, who told me he liked Oregon last week and caught slack on websites for saying what he said, he told me Tuesday that after a day or two he realized it was crazy to think about leaving South Florida. Jacory, though, did tell me his feelings were hurt a bit by some of the comments he read online from irate fans. "People we're saying on your blog, we don't need Jacory. Forget him. We got Robert Marve. That's messed up man." Can't say I didn't warn you guys.

- As for Spence, he told me he did like his trips to North Carolina and Tennessee earlier this year, but like Harris realized "there's no place like home." Spence, who is close with cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke, said he had conversation with linebacker coach Michael Barrow that made him feel better in the recruiting process and "sealed the deal." He said he and Forston love the fact UM players have been treating them "with open arms."
 12-15-2007, 01:02 AM         #3098
Jeans&Sneakers 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hawaii shout out to Sean Taylor during U-Dub game..RIP

...i was at that game and i believe Brennan threw up the "U" sign after he scored one of the touchdowns
 9 years ago '04        #3099
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Jeans&Sneakers said:
Hawaii shout out to Sean Taylor during U-Dub game..RIP

...i was at that game and i believe Brennan threw up the "U" sign after he scored one of the touchdowns
yeah i saw that, that was real cool of brennan to do
 9 years ago '04        #3100
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL | STATE CHAMPIONSHIP WEEKEND
NW, Booker T. stars could be future Canes
Miami's Northwestern and Booker T. Washington will be vying for state championships Saturday. On weekends next fall, several of their players could be playing together for the University of Miami.

ORLANDO -- What would happen if the best players at Northwestern, the nation's No. 1 high school football team, and Booker T. Washington, ranked fourth nationally by ESPN, were teammates instead of crosstown rivals?

What if Northwestern star quarterback Jacory Harris had his talented trio of star receivers in Aldarius Johnson, Tommy Streeter and Kendal Thompkins, plus Booker T.'s dangerous duo of Davon Johnson and Thearon Collier? What if a defense had Booker T.'s Brandon Harris patrolling the secondary with Northwestern's Sean Spence at linebacker and big defensive tackle Marcus Forston up front causing havoc?

''It would be cheating,'' Forston said. "It just wouldn't be fair to other teams.''

Little by little, the dream is coming together.

Six current Bulls (Harris, Johnson, Thompkins, Forston, Spence and offensive lineman Brandon Washington) and two Tornadoes (Johnson and Collier) have orally committed to the University of Miami. Brandon Harris, Streeter, Northwestern offensive lineman Ben Jones and a few others are being pressured to be next.

Saturday when the Tornadoes (13-0) and Bulls (14-0) play in the Class 4A and 6A state championships at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. respectively, at the Citrus Bowl, UM fans will be tuning in to catch a glimpse of arguably the most important additions to the Hurricanes' future.

It also will be a chance to watch Miami-Dade high school history. Monsignor Pace, a Miami private school, and Carol City won state titles on the same day in 2003. For the first time, two Greater Miami Athletic Conference schools will be playing for state championships in the same year.

For the Bulls and Tornadoes it could be a special ending to a special season. But for UM fans, the start to a special future.

''Playing together is something we talk about a lot, especially now,'' said Brandon Harris, a 5-10, 175-pound cornerback who is rated the 87th best player in the country by Rivals.com, regardless of position.

"We've talked about it for awhile. I've known those guys at Northwestern, Sean and Tommy, since I was in elementary school with them. I played against Jacory and Marcus in middle school. When the Hurricanes were still playing and we were all there for the games at the Orange Bowl all the guys would bring it up. How could we lose if we all played on the same team? Nobody would beat us.''

SPECIAL SEASONS

While the rest of the college and pro football teams in South Florida have been nothing short of disappointing, the Bulls and Tornadoes have been spectacular the last three seasons.

Booker T., which will take on Ponte Vedra Nease (13-1) at 1 p.m., has gone a combined 35-3 since Harris' first career start as a sophomore.

Northwestern, which will take on Orlando Boone (14-0), has won 29 consecutive games and has a chance to put together a 38-2 record in the past three years.

Larry Blustein, who has covered recruiting in South Florida since 1971 and now works for MSLCombines.net, said it is all a result of the special senior classes at both schools.

In all, he estimates there are around 50 FBS (formerly known as Division I-A) players on the teams' varsity rosters combined. He says the underclassmen on both teams are also very talented.

At Northwestern, he has been most impressed with sophomore defensive tackle Todd Chandler and junior safety Tevin McCaskill. At Booker T., he says sophomore running back Eduardo Clements and lineman Jose Jose and junior safety Natturner Harris are future stars to watch.

Blustein says there isn't a hotter spot in the country for talent than in the five miles separating the schools in Overtown (Booker T.) and Liberty City (Northwestern). Chris Lawlor, the editor of ESPN's High Elite 25 National High School football rankings, agreed when asked earlier this year.

''There's never been two great teams -- No. 1 and No. 4 in the country -- within a 10-minute drive of each other like this,'' Blustein said. "You had Miami High and Gables in the 60s, but that was a different time.

"The closest thing to it would be a place like [Los Angeles, Texas or Oklahoma].''

HOW GOOD?

But just how good are these players? Blustein says there is a lot of potential NFL talent at both schools. But says many of them, including a few who are undersized, need to survive the difficult transition to the next level.

He thinks Jones (6-6, 270) and Streeter (6-5, 200) have NFL bodies, but Jones still needs to learn how to play tackle and Streeter is more of a complimentary, No. 2 receiver. Blustein likes Washington (6-4, 315), who projects as a guard at the next level, but says he will have to do what former Hallandale High star Davin Joseph did to ''achieve the rare feat of playing guard in college'' and making the pros.

He loves Jacory Harris' leadership ability and says Forston (6-1, 300) has talent, but needs to "stop taking plays off.''

And he likes the speed Johnson and Collier have, but says both, listed under 6-feet, need to prove they can take hits at the next level.

His top three: Aldarius Johnson, Brandon Harris and Spence.

''Those guys have all the ingredients,'' Blustein said. "If Aldarius isn't starting next year, I think UM's coaches are going to need their heads examined.''
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside im going to FAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont care anymore
47 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
J Prince really think he a godfather
175 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Guy Tricked By Tr@nny - Cringe Video
244 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If you like women, you'll LIKE this thread. If you like men, SLAP this..
57 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Trevor Noah Spittin Real on The Breakfast Club
75 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside YouTube superstar PewDiePie vows to DELETE his channel once he hits 50m..
65 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Keep it 100: Would you jump in this 3some
72 comments
24 hours ago
@misc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy