70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
130 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '05        #2481
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,950 | Props total: 5 5
Everyone will appreciate this
 9 years ago '05        #2482
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,896 | Props total: 290 290
ne body know or heard if saturdays game vs duke is gonna be televised?
 9 years ago '07        #2483
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,219 | Props total: 7 7
 Santoro said:
Everyone will appreciate this
haha Sebastian k!lled it !!!:applause::applause::applause::applause:
 9 years ago '04        #2484
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
September 25, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Miami Northwestern OL and Cane commitment Brandon Washington attended last Thursday night's game against Texas A&M as an invited recruit.

"It was a very good game," he said. "I wanted to come see them play, wanted to see how they bounced back from the loss to Oklahoma. I thought they should have beat the heck out of FIU. Against Texas A&M they played great.

"The fans showed much love. They showed me that if I come there it would be great for me."

Washington attended the game with several teammates, including OL/DL Ben Jones, who has a UM offer but has not made a decision yet.

"I told him you have love, that he should commit," Washington said. "Everyone was yelling his name wherever he went.

"I hope he comes to Miami, but I don't know. I know he likes Ohio State, but I want him to go to Miami. He's a great player."

Washington says he will be taking other visits: "I haven't set them up yet, but I want to get up to LSU, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, and I may go to North Carolina," he said. "I'll take them after the season."

The chances he sticks by Miami in the end?

"It's very strong commitment," Washington said. "What I think about is my family. College-wise I want them to be part of the experience, be able to get to every game."

Washington is playing left tackle in high school but says "I think they need me at guard (at Miami)."
 9 years ago '04        #2485
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 25, 2007

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Some might view the next two weeks as a slight break for the Canes with games against perceived lesser opponents Duke and North Carolina.

Just don't tell coach Randy Shannon things will be easy this Saturday against the Blue Devils.

"We're not going to take them lightly last year they had a chance to beat us," Shannon said. "It was coming down to the last play of the game and it was a great play by Willie Cooper to get us out of that situation. This team understands what Duke is about, what kind of pressure they put on us last year. As you watch tape they played Navy tough, came back late in the game against Virginia, beat Northwestern at Northwestern. Those are things you take (into) account."

Shannon added, "I've been watching a lot of Duke tape they don't ever quit," Shannon said. "They always keep f!ghting, playing hard the whole entire game. They have the capability of making big plays and that's how they get back in games. They're aggressive on defense. When they blitz, they blitz. They line up everybody on the line of scrimmage, say if you can beat us throwing the ball, beat us throwing the ball. They're not as exotic as they were on defense last year. They line up and say, `Beat us.'

"Defensively we have to do a good job of making sure we stop the run and don't give up big plays. Their quarterback (Thaddeus Lewis) is doing an unbelievable job right now reading coverages. He looks like he did at Hialeah Miami Lakes when he played (there). He's doing a great job. The run game does just enough to keep you off balance for what they're trying to get done."

In injury news Shannon said DT Josh Holmes is back and will play this week.

"He's all cleared, ready to go," Shannon said.

And he had some surprising news: Linebacker Romeo Davis will play some special teams this week, Shannon said.

"He practiced the last two weeks," Shannon said.

And he also said safety Lovon Ponder is on his way back and could practice tomorrow.

And linebacker Glenn Cook is possibly two weeks away from getting back in action, Shannon said.

"He's still out," Shannon said. "Glenn just got his boot off last week. He'll be another maybe two weeks, depending. It just depends.

"We're starting to get everybody back healthy."

Shannon said Glenn Sharpe, who is back from injury, "just has to earn his way back" at cornerback.

"Around here everybody's up for competition," Shannon said. "He could have played (last week). He just has to get back in the rhythm."

Here's what else Shannon was talking about:

Q: You led 20-2 last year with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter and almost lost at Duke.

Shannon: They never quit. That's the one thing on tape that team is never going to quit, keeps playing hard.

Q: Thaddeus Lewis is from down here.

Shannon: I watched him, recruited him. He wanted to leave town and we had quarterbacks on the roster. He did what's best for him. I've liked watching him play, and everybody watches his career from Miami.

Q: Willie Cooper saved that game last year with a big play late, the interception.

Shannon: he just read what they were doing and broke on the ball. That was the key to the game. It was a great throw. If Willie didn't read it right we'd have lost the game to Duke.

Q: How are the DB's doing?

Shannon: Those guys are understanding we can't give up big plays. The defense is doing a good job in the secondary. All the cornerbacks are doing a good job. We go by practice at cornerback. Whoever's not blowing a.ssignments, that's who we go with.

Q: Is Bruce Johnson your best cover corner?

Shannon: Yes. He's got some natural skills. He feels like he's been here forever. He's played the nickel, corner. Bruce has done a lot of good things for us. Bruce has matured a lot - that's a tribute to him understanding what it takes, that football can be taken away from you. Kelly (Jennings) is not around, and I think that's made him grow up a lot and understand what it's all about now.

Q: Will we see the direct snap a lot again?

Shannon: That's just game plan situations. You can't use it every game because people will prepare for it. You just have to have it in your game plan to make people work on it. It's like the option. Nobody likes to see option football because that makes you work on it in practice and takes away from what you're trying to get done.

Q: Talk about Willie Cooper's progress.

Shannon: Willie's doing great. He had two forced fumbles (last week). He's a senior, is playing well. He plays hard. He's played special teams. This is his opportunity to play. He played weakside linebacker, strongside linebacker, safety, he's a guy that moved around and understands what it takes. He's never had an attitude, has always been positive. He knows his role, that whatever we need he'll do very well at that position.
 9 years ago '04        #2486
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Q: Is the direct snap something you're seeing more and more in football?

Shannon: A lot of people use it for goal line, short yardage, that's when you see it. Arkansas uses it. LSU used it against us two or three years ago. A lot of people use it on key situations. Now, you use it every week and people will game plan it and it won't be effective. You have to pick and choose when you use it.

Q: When Graig Cooper fumbles what do you do?

Shannon: Fumbles are not acceptable around here. He knows that he has to work this week. If he doesn't get it done he won't play. That's the bottom line.

Q: So if he fumbles again he's out the leash is that short?

Shannon: It isn't the leash is short. Kyle let Kyle keep fumbling we'll get him out of the game. It's not Cooper, it's not Kyle - everybody's that way. Turnovers can demoralize you on offense. Not one person, turnovers in general. We work on it every day and will work on it even harder this week. Cooper, after the game, 1:30 at night he called me after the game, said `Coach, this is Cooper, I won't do it again.' I said `Do what?' He said, `Fumble twice.' I said, `Coop, understand how it is. We cannot accept turnovers. Be prepared to work hard next week. If you don't somebody else will play.' It's not a short leash, it's just turnovers. You can't win game turning the football over, and everybody understands they have competition behind them. If Cooper fumbles the ball Shawnbrey McNeal is behind him. You think Cooper doesn't realize Shawnbrey can play? I'm not trying to be tough, but that's the only way you get guys to understand. Then they'll work harder.

Q: You get calls late from players a lot?

Shannon: I get a lot of phone calls from players late at night, things they've done in the game or they just want to talk. Not just Cooper a lot of guys call me, because they want to do well. I really, really respect them. But they also understand me, that we have to play the best guys that give us the opportunity to win.

Q: Why are there the fumble problems?

Shannon: We hit those guys. I hit the running backs with dummies for two weeks, quarterbacks the same way. It's just guys not concentrating, lack of concentration. Jimmy Johnson always said never tell a guy `Hold the football.' He just tells them `Protect the football.' (He said) don't ever say `Don't fumble' because then all they do is think about holding the football and not running. Say protect the football, and all they do is squeeze it a little more when they're running. So we say protect the football. You have to stress those things in practice.

Q: What happening on Kyle Wright's fumbles?

Shannon: He's getting hit from behind. He has to protect it from behind.

Q: How do you get focused this week?

Shannon: Watch last week's game against Duke. That's all you have to do, turn on that film and guys understand how easy it is to lose a game against somebody you thought may not be a great opponent. We have to make sure we stay focused on what we have to get done as a team.

Q: Who made the call to have this as a noon game, since there's no TV?

Shannon: The whole building made the call Paul Dee, up front, myself - it's not a one-person show.

Q: You'd rather play day games?

Shannon: I love to play games in the day. The sun, heat - people aren't used to the weather. I'd play all of them in the day if it was up to me. But it's TV rules.

Q: Guys have traditionally had an advantage at night in the Orange Bowl?

Shannon: When I was a player we played in the day. The heat was an advantage.

Q: What did Kyle do differently this past week?

Shannon: He didn't try to win the game. He threw one pass to Dedrick Epps, a one yard out route Epps made it a first down. Cooper made one guy miss, a first down on a screen pass. He wasn't forcing any balls, was going to take what people were giving him. Just get it in the athlete's hands and now they make the plays happen.

Q: How does that happen?

Shannon: Coaching. Coach (Patrick) Nix and those guys do a great job.

Q: Are you getting to a point with RB Charlie Jones where you may have to redshirt him? He's still in a boot.

Shannon: No. I don't know yet. It's still a long way off, a lot of games left.

Q: How is kickoff coverage?

Shannon: Bad. That's one thing we're going to work on this week is kickoff coverage. We're changing the lineup on kickoff, are going to put some starters on kickoff. And our kicker has to do a better job getting the ball downfield. That's one emphasis we're going to work on. We have to have better field position. We can't give people a short field. We have to be an aggressor and pin them down deep. That's going to be a major factor this week.

Q: Who are some of the starters on kickoff coverage?

Shannon: I don't know yet. Every starter is going to have two special teams (that they do). We have to mix guys around.

Q: Is it something new with using starters on kickoff coverage?

Shannon: No. Sean Taylor and Antrel Rolle started on special teams all four years, Ed Reed, DJ Williams, Jon Vilma were starters on special teams.

Q: Are the receivers helping Kyle out?

Shannon: The whole offense is doing great. Everyone's doing what they're supposed to do, getting open, he's finding the receivers, the running game is going, the offensive line (is doing well).

Q: David Strimple got a punt attempt last game. Matt Bosher is still the starter?

Shannon: He is. Strimple was out to kick it in (from short). We have roles for everybody. Strimple is a kick it in the end zone, down it on the 5, 10. Bosher is hang time, getting it 40, 45 yards with a 4.0 hang time. That's how we're using both of them now. Strimple is better at kicking it down inside the 5. Now Strimple has a role with us on the team.

Q: How is Duke on defense?

Shannon: They do a good job on defense. They've given up a lot of points, but they're lining up eight in the box. They're playing the run or they're blitzing. They've given up some plays. We have to take advantage of what they give us, be patient.

Q: Duke's Vince Oghobaase was recruited by Miami.

Shannon: He came in on a visit. Vince was a big guy that came on a visit that we thought would be a great player here, but he chose Duke. That's all it was.

Q: The ACC is pretty wide open?

Shannon: It's early. We haven't gotten deep down in conference play. Boston College and Virginia have played more conference games. Everyone else is just getting started like we are. Get around the seventh game of the season and you'll know the two or three teams that are battling for it.

Q: With you having the first four games non-conference, does that help?

Shannon: I don't know. When you have a new team early you have some kinks you have to get out. Hopefully the kinks are out. We had to work on red zone offense, will continue to work on that. We worked on receivers catching the ball. Now we have to work on special teams (with kickoff coverage). As we keep working we keep getting better and improving, never take a step back, we'll be fine.
Q: You gave up 17 points late against Texas A&M. What's your perspective on that?

Shannon: We didn't finish the game. That's the thing we didn't do. What Duke does is keep f!ghting. We didn't finish the game. Those guys have to finish the game. They come to the University of Miami to play. If you get on the field you have to make sure you have pride, play defense and offense the way you should at the University of Miami. Those guys didn't respond. Late in the game they cost us points. I was disappointed in that. The team was disappointed. You work so hard to play well and end on a good note, and something like that happens.
 9 years ago '04        #2487
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 25, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

KYLE WRIGHT Q&A

Q: Coach Randy Shannon said you didn't try to win the game single-handedly last week, and that helped you.

Wright: That's something coach Shannon has stressed not just to myself, but everyone just go out and do your job. Coach (Patrick) Nix had challenged me the week before, tells me before the game to see how many completions you can get. I think we just went out and had fun, played loose, and that was the end result. (Nix and Shannon) impressed on me to not do more than I should. I probably did that in the past to compensate for other things. I thought the entire offense played great (Thursday). You throw a one yard route to Dedrick Epps and it goes for eight or nine yards. That's the kind of night we had.

Q: You improved a lot from the FIU game.

Wright: I knocked a little of the rust off (vs. FIU). I hadn't played a full true game since last November. I made some stupid mistakes. That's something I can learn from and you won't see me do again.

Q: Your receivers have stepped up.

Wright: Everybody has. The offensive line has given me plenty of time to get the ball to those guys, and those guys have stepped their game up, have really started making plays and catching the fumble.

Q: What happened with the fumble?

Wright: It's frustrating. You try to run, keep drives alive, get first downs, and it's just been twice someone gets me from behind. I have to do a better job of holding the ball up high when I get in traffic. That's something I'm constantly working on.

Q: What do they do in practice to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Wright: We do ball security drills every day. But today they were a little more intent coach Shannon was over there making sure guys were really trying to strip the football, putting a lot more pressure on guys.

Q: You had a big game against Duke last year. But is it important to have balance this week?

Wright: They do some different looks we haven't seen, but we feel we can run and pass the ball against it. It's definitely important to have a balanced attack. People want to say the run sets up the pass, the pass sets up the run. It's equally important. We have to have balance. That's what we strive for in this offense.

Q: There's an opportunity now to put together a nice little run.

Wright: Now that we turn our focus to the ACC games you have to take it one game at a time, especially with a team like Duke. Last year was a perfect example if you don't stay in it the whole game they're going to stay around as long as you keep them around. They're going to play hard from the first snap to the last snap. That's really how the ACC is this year from top to bottom.

Q: How did Thursday night compare to your other past performances? Was it your best?

Wright: I don't look at it in terms of what I did. This team for the most part put together a great game, and I was part of it. I feel I did come out and was the most efficient I've been distributing the football. That's something I've been working on. A big win like that was something we came in saying we needed. And it was very positive to get a big win like that.

Q: How big was that win?

Wright: If you were in the locker room after the game you can tell it was like a weight was lifted off everybody's shoulders. It was a very, very good feeling.

Q: What happens to you if you fumble this week?

Wright: I don't know. It's not going to happen again. I don't want to find out.
 9 years ago '04        #2488
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 26, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Miami Northwestern High School DL/OL Benjamin Jones says he enjoyed his experience at Miami's game against Texas A&M Thursday night.

"It was a lot of fans, I saw a lot of love," said Jones, who attended with several teammates. "A lot of fans knew who I was. We got a lot of attention - they were telling us how much we wanted us to come there.

"They knew my name. I was surprised. They were saying they love me and they can't wait for me to come out there. Everybody's asking me, `When are you going to commit?' I tell them `I'll decide after I take all my visits.'"

He has yet to set up any trips, but says he expects to take official visits to Ohio State, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson and Auburn.

He says Miami will not be an official visit, but he says he will take an unofficial visit to campus.

Teammate Brandon Washington has said that Jones likes Ohio State, and Jones says of the Buckeyes that "I like that they have a great tradition, but I haven't been up there yet. They're high on my list, and Miami's up there with Ohio State."

Jones says LSU rounds out his top three.

"Whatever school I go to has to have good coaches, a good bond with all the coaches, including my position coaches," he said. "And have everybody like a family. I want to make the right decision."

Coaches Jeff Stoutland and Clint Hurtt are recruiting Jones for Miami.

And either could wind up being his position coach if he chooses the Canes.

"I haven't played much on defense this year, I've been playing mostly offensive line," Jones said. "It's going great. I went over there (from defensive end) to help the team, and so far it's come along well. I might play offensive line in college. Miami said I can play either. They want me to play offensive tackle or defensive end. I don't care which I play; it doesn't matter to me."

Jones says his teammates that have already committed to Miami are putting on the pressure.

"They tell me, `Man, what you waiting for to commit?'" Jones said. "I don't say anything, just smile."

He adds, "(Having my teammates at Miami will) take a toll on my decision."
 9 years ago '04        #2489
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 26, 2007

Miami Norland High School DL Sean Ferguson got a visit at his school from Cane coaches two weeks ago.

"They came to watch film," Ferguson said. "The coach said he likes me, will see how I progress during the season."

So far, so good.

Ferguson has seven sacks and 22 tackles through four games.

"The season's going great," Ferguson said.

Ferguson lists offers from Mississippi Sate and South Florida, among others.

The Canes haven't come calling with an offer yet, but he hopes they will soon.

"I don't know if I'll get an offer, but if Miami offers me, man, they're going to be No. 1," Ferguson said. "That's my home town. I've always been looking up to Miami growing up."

With the Canes not offering yet, though, Ferguson says, "Right now I have no favorites."
 9 years ago '04        #2490
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 26, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Freshman cornerback Demarcus Van Dyke has a special reason to look forward to the game against Duke on Saturday: He'll be going up against his former Optimist teammate, Blue Devil quarterback Thaddeus Lewis.

Lewis used to throw Van Dyke touchdown passes when the two were youngsters playing for the Northwest Boys' and Girls' Club.

Yes, Van Dyke was a receiver in those days.

"Thaddeus has a strong arm, can take a defense apart," Van Dyke said. "He's a great quarterback, has great receivers. He's real athletic, has good poise in the pocket."

The two have stayed in touch.

They talked on Monday.

"He said he's prepared to play against us," Van Dyke said. "I said, `Alright.' He said to get ready to play Saturday. Thaddeus is a real humble guy. He'll talk smack about a game like this, though. He'll say how he's going to come out and play against us."

That's not exactly affecting Van Dyke's confidence.

"I know we'll show that we're the real Miami," Van Dyke said. "We're going to play our game. "

Van Dyke needs some lessons on how to trash talk to Lewis.

Told by a reporter that he could remind Lewis of the interception he threw at the end of last year's game, Van Dyke said, "I could remind him, but I didn't want to bring it up."

There will be no Mr. Nice Guy on Saturday.

"We needed a big win against a good team like Texas A&M, and now we're going into the conference schedule and we're going to show everybody who the real Miami is," Van Dyke said. "I'm real excited going into my first conference game. I want to see how I compare to those guys."

Van Dyke said he's taken to heart what Randy Shannon has told the team about finishing.

"Coach Shannon preached to us that going into the fourth quarter (last year) it was 20-2 and they came back, that at the end of games we have to go for the k!ll," Van Dyke said.
 9 years ago '06        #2491
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
damn when its all said and done this can be a great recruiting class for O Line as well, lets just wait and see how the chips fall

9 years ago '04        #2492
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 26, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Coconut Creek (FL) Monarch High School DE Andrew Smith told his coaches two years ago that he wanted to be a Hurricane.

At the time it seemed like a pipe dream.

Heck, even into this season it seemed unlikely.

The 6-foot-3, 230-pounder with 4.69-second speed only has gotten offers from the likes of Iowa, Indiana, Troy, Central Michigan, Akron and FAU.

But today he landed his dream offer.

He says defensive line coach Clint Hurtt called with an offer. And he accepted it on the spot.

"I'm a Hurricane," Smith said. "I was surprised they offered, and coach Hurtt was excited when I committed. It's a dream come true. I've been a Hurricanes fan all my life. That's the chance for me to be at my hometown team.

"I had gone to their summer camp and they were really impressed, but they hadn't seen any game film on me and wanted to wait (to offer). After they saw my first games this season they decided to offer. I showed what type of player I am."

He's had seven sacks and over 20 tackles in those first four games.

Last year he had 65 tackles and nine sacks. And that was in eight games he had two games cancelled due to weather.

Smith has played linebacker and also defensive end and tackle this season. He'll be an end at Miami.

"He comes off the ball real well, is a good pass rusher," Monarch High coach Ron Williams said. "There's no doubt he's Miami caliber. I've coached the kid since ninth grade, and that was his first year playing."

"I'm proud of him. This is what we've been shooting for the last couple of years. He always said he wanted to go to Miami. It was a good day for the kid."

Smith says he won't take any official visits.

"It's a done deal," he said. "That's where I'm going."

His goals at UM?

"Just to be the best player, one of their top defensive players coming out and follow the Miami tradition on defense," he said.
 9 years ago '04        #2493
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,690 | Props total: 474 474
:applause:welcome to the hurricane fam
 9 years ago '07        #2494
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
this recruiting class is legit as f**k...those NW boys know how to play
 9 years ago '04        #2495
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 27, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Randy Phillips figured he'd be playing safety at some point in his Miami career.

He was always oversized for a cornerback.

So when he was called upon to make the move from cornerback two games ago, he did it seamlessly.

"It's been great," Phillips said. "I prepared myself for it, knew the whole defense. So whenever that situation came I was going to be ready for it. When it came I knew the whole defense so I got to play early."

He says he played as many snaps as Kenny Phillips or Willie Cooper against Texas A&M.

And he was an a.sset in the big win.

"A win like that will boost our confidence, put the team where we need to be," Phillips said. "But we aren't there yet. There are things we didn't accomplish. We're going to keep getting better."

Phillips says he isn't surprised that, even after the win over the top 20 team, that the Canes remain unranked.

"What other people think about us, we don't really care," Phillips said. "That's going to handle itself. By the time we go to Florida State we should be 6-1, should be rolling. That's what we really are focusing on, just taking care of each week. Whatever they rate us, they rate us. If they don't (rank us), eventually they will."

Here's what else Phillips was saying:

Q: What kind of motivation is last year's close game at Duke?

Phillips: We had a lot of players out (due to suspension). I didn't play that game. They come down here, we're going to go out and execute. Whatever the score ends up it is. If it's close, we'll take the win. If it's a blowout we'll still take it.

Q: Do the guys on the team like day or night games?

Phillips: We're all going to prefer in our minds a night game, but it's best for the team at day time at 12 because teams coming from the north are not used to the heat and this is what we practice in every day. We're going to be running around. They're going to be cramping up, getting dehydrated, and we'll just roll.

Q: How hard was it to watch the Duke game at home last year?

Phillips: I wasn't even watching the game. I don't think it was on cable, and I was back in Belle Glade not even watching. Then it flashed across ESPN the last couple of plays and I was like, `Wow.' Then I saw Coop intercept the ball and I was relieved. We had a lot of players out in the secondary, and Coop handled his business, did great for the team.

Q: How has Cooper matured?

Phillips: He's always been mature. Coop is one of the players that is going to work hard, give everything he has. Right now he's doing a great job at safety, him and Kenny (Phillips). When I moved to safety it made them better because I'm challenging them (for playing time).

Q: Coach Randy Shannon said he gets calls from you guys late at night.

Phillips: With coach Shannon being through a lot of things growing up, he's been in each players' shoes in some kind of way. We can relate to him like a head coach and brothers. Things we can't talk about with other family members or coaches we can talk about with coach Shannon because he's got some kind of experience in that department. It's great having a head coach like that, that's open.

Q: How important are these next few games?

Phillips: Coach Shannon, one of his pet peeves is when we play teams like Duke or North Carolina, those are the teams that sneak up and get you because people take them light. Players get in the mindset, `Oh, we're going to coast this week because we have Duke or North Carolina.' But not this year. We're going to work harder than ever. We're going to work on some things that need to be improved and then go out and execute.
 9 years ago '04        #2496
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 27, 2007

College Park (GA) Banneker High School DB Darrell Simmons says he's fielding weekly phone calls from Cane offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, who recruits his area.

"I talked to him last week and we set up an official visit for the Georgia Tech game," Simmons said. "Coach Nix just tells me that they would love me to be down there to play in their defense, that he loves the way I play."

The Canes are in good shape right now with Simmons.

"Miami's leading right now," he says. "Alabama is No. 2 and Tennessee is No. 3."

He says Alabama is not trailing the Canes by much.

"When I went down for Alabama's Junior Day I liked everything about them," said Simmons. who says he will also take an official visit to Florida. "I would love to be part of something like that."

Of Miami he says, "It's just a school that I know has a winning tradition, academics, everything, sends players to the NFL. I've loved them since I was a little boy."

Simmons watched the UM-Texas A&M game, and says "That kind of game helps a lot for a recruit. It's good to know that Miami's getting back to the way they were. They fell down for the Oklahoma game, but you could see the potential."

Simmons says he wants to have a final decision in place by the end of October, since he plays to graduate early and enroll in college in January.

So far this season Simmons has 25 tackles and five sacks for his 2-1 team. He also has 15 receptions on offense, one for a touchdown.
 9 years ago '04        #2497
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 27, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

CARLOS ARMOUR Q&A

Q: What are your thoughts on Duke?

Armour: My thoughts abut this matchup is we had them a year ago. They're a team that plays hard, plays to the final whistle. We have to go in expecting them to play hard and give us good opposition. We can't take any opponent lightly.

Q: Talk about the fallout from the Texas A&M win.

Armour: It was good for both sides of the ball. It showed guys trust in what the program is trying to do. It put us in a good position to show that we can get it done.

Q: You were suspended for last year's game. When did you see Willie Cooper's interception?

Armour: I saw it on TV. Like everyone saw, it was a great play. He read his key, was in position to make a play. And we came out victorious for it. Coop's a smart guy, has great talent. He's mentally sharp, is one of the leaders of this team. He's a guy that's not very verbal, but he leads through actions and motivates guys through action.

Q: Miami's not ranked.

Armour: We're not worrying about ranking. It doesn't matter till week 6 or 7. Right now we're just correcting mistakes from game to game.

Q: What do you think about the play of all the freshmen?

Armour: It shows a lot of maturity with the guys coming out of high school this year. Guys are hungry and they're still maturing through the process. They're making plays, flying around.

Q: If you lost to Duke, what would that have been like for the program if Willie doesn't make that play?

Armour: I can't even answer that.

Q: You're contributing now. What does that mean to you?

Armour: It means a lot I came in with high expectations to contribute. Injuries have been my setback. I'm just going to do my role and contribute to the team in any way I can.

Q: Was there any sense of satisfaction on the deflection that was intercepted?

Armour: Yeah. It overwhelmed me because I don't want to let the other 10 guys on the field down. I want to do my part. That's what satisfied me the most, that I didn't let them down. That play gave us an opportunity to get the offense back on the field. The whole secondary plays with the same mentality don't let the next guy down.
 9 years ago '04        #2498
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 27, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

CHAVEZ GRANT Q&A

Q: How fired up are you guys to get conference play cracking now?

Grant: We've been waiting on it. Now we're going to start our streak toward winning the ACC. It's our first conference game. We're going to prepare like it's any other game, but we know it's more important than any other game. We're still going to play our hardest, will prepare the same and will go out there and win.

Q: How hard is it not to get overconfident against Duke?

Grant: It's not that hard once we think about last year. Last year they played us close. We know they're a tough football team, will play the whole four quarters. It's not that hard because we know if we take them lightly they might have a chance to come out and win the game.

Q: Is there any player backlash with Miami not in the top 25?

Grant: No, not really. I don't see many guys talking about it. I think maybe we just have to prove ourselves a little more. We're going to go out and play and show we should be ranked.

Q: How does it affect the defense when the offense does well?

Grant: It gives us more confidence. It fires us up, gets us excited to go out and just dominate because we see them dominating. We feel to make it a complete game we have to do the same thing. They give us energy and we give them energy.

Q: Coach Randy Shannon called some direct snaps last game.

Grant: Everyone likes to see exciting plays. We have good players, have exciting running backs and receivers. When those direct snaps come we look for something big to happen because we know those guys can make those plays. It's good to see something off the wall rather than a traditional offense.

Q: Was the Texas A&M win what this team needed heading into the ACC?

Grant: I think so. Winning against any team shows we're a good team. But with them being ranked we felt we had to dominate them. That's what we did. At the end of the game we kind of let up a little bit. We're going to work on finishing the game, because Duke will play the whole game. We're going to practice every week like we have a big game to play.

Q: Do you like having an animated coach like Randy Shannon on the sideline?

Grant: Yes. It gives you more energy, more confidence. You can play loose a little bit, have some fun. You see him running around, having fun with the guys, it just feels better.

Q: Willie Cooper made the big play last year at the end of the Duke game.

Grant: He came up big for us. We always talk about guys preparing like they're going to start. That was his first time starting, playing that many plays. He showed what it means to just keep practicing like you're a first-teamer.
 9 years ago '06        #2499
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,724 | Props total: 12271 12271
big ups cap
 9 years ago '06        #2500
YERCELL 
space
space
$3,970 | Props total: 0 0
Man, did you guys hear about Willie Williams? I was just watching ESPN and they said he got pulled over and had marijuana and he's been dismissed from school. Thought that was rather interesting.
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
30 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Maliah can get it boy damn
52 comments
1 day ago