Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 09-03-2007, 01:32 AM         #2341
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
September 2, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

A day after Miami's 31-3 win over Marshall, coach Randy Shannon summed up his first victory as head coach.

"Guys did a lot of good things on the field, but we also have a lot of corrections," Shannon said. "Defensively we (allowed) too many deep balls down the middle of the field. It was miscommunication and coverage busts. When we played the scheme right we got interceptions and sacks. Some guys were playing one coverage and others were playing (a different coverage). Every big play that came up was because of communication problems.

"Special teams-wise we had some big plays, some big opportunities. We had two aggressive penalties, guys trying to get a big block. Chavez Grant got one (block in the back penalty) that broke Graig Cooper, but like I tell those guys, Cooper will make someone miss. Don't take those chances. So Chavez learned from it.

"The biggest thing was no delay of game or substitution problems. The offensive line had one false start, the holding calls were down dramatically. Those guys are learning."

Shannon also said he was pleased with the play of quarterback Kirby Freeman even though UM didn't have 100 yards passing.

"He played well, decent enough to win the game," Shannon said. "You look at his stats and they're not tremendous, but we had too many drops. We got in a lot of third down and three, and receivers have drops. The offense didn't get down on themselves, which is the sign of a team growing."

Shannon also said receiver Sam Shields, an anticipated starter before he was suspended for violating team rules, will return to action against Oklahoma this weekend.

"He'll play this game," Shannon said.

Asked if that's a big addition for the team, Shannon said, "Not really. He's just a guy. We've got to coach the guys that are going to be there like we did this week."

Shannon knows his team has a big challenge in traveling to face the top 10 Sooners.

Asked if he thinks a win Saturday will put his team on the national map, Shannon said, "I don't know we've ever been off the map. Like anything, we have a brand new coaching staff, 7-6 last year, so nobody's going to put you at that higher level. If we were 11-1 with a brand new coaching staff we'd probably be top 5, top 3. I don't worry about those things. We just have to go out and play this Saturday, and whatever happens, happens. If we win, great. We still have another 10 games left to play. So it's not a one-game season for us. We have to take it step by step."

In injury news, Shannon said he thinks WR Darnell Jenkins is fine. Jenkins appeared to be favoring his right shoulder in the locker room.

"He played the entire game," Shannon said. "You're always going to be sore after the game."

He had no update on FB Jerrell Mabry, who was on crutches after the game.

Shannon also said he's unsure if CB Glenn Sharpe or DT Josh Holmes will be available to face Oklahoma.

Here's what else Shannon was talking about:

Q: Cooper and Javarris James seemed close on several of their carries to breaking even longer runs.

Shannon: That's the thing I tell those guys. Graig and Javarris, even Derron Thomas – when he got in the game he made players miss. We've got the players to do it. This offense did a great job of not getting the big, big major penalties. The (holding) with Orlando Franklin was bad, but then he came back and he's the one that threw the key block to spring Cooper the next play (for a 56-yard gain). So that's the thing. We have to get the ball in their hands and make guys miss. When they're playing off Lance Leggett, give it to him. Seven or eight yards, now it's second down and three. Eventually Lance is going to make somebody miss, and there's nobody else behind that cornerback. Those are things we're going to try to take advantage of all the time. Sometimes it'll be a two-yard gain, but it's not a negative play. We don't (want to) take negative plays.

Q: Lance almost split the DBs and stayed on his feet on some of those quick throws.

Shannon: We used to do those things with Santana and Reggie. Those guys get one shot, make a guy miss and it's a touchdown. Sometimes it doesn't have to be the deep ball downfield that's a great pass. One thing, we were two for eight on third down. I thought we were in more third down situations. But third down was mostly five (yards) and less, which is a good thing.

Q: People say, "Well, it was only Marshall."

Shannon: You know what? Marshall will always have a good team. They've got the quarterback, but that other quarterback isn't bad either. They've got some skill guys. Their freshman running back isn't bad. Once they get momentum going they use the tight end well. The skill guys with the ball in their hands, they'll give people problems. Everyone thinks Marshall is Marshall, but when Byron Leftwich was there they were putting up points.

Q: Were you surprised at the Michigan upset?

Shannon: I'll never be surprised when upsets come. I'm not surprised at all. It always happens every year. Someone's always going to lose early to an opponent they're not supposed to lose to.

Q: Did you watch the Oklahoma game last night?

Shannon: We'll get the film in, break it down, evaluate it. We have last year's games. This year's game after the first or second quarter the game was over. You can't really look at the entire game and get tendencies off it, because the game's over early and now coaches screw around with tendencies for the second, third, fourth quarter, do different plays to make you work on something they may not run. You have to get the good quality games in. Everybody has their trend on what they do. The best thing about playing Oklahoma is that the coordinators are still the same, both offensively and defensively. So we'll have an idea of what they do. And we'll have a good game plan.

Q: Oklahoma passed for over 400 yards in the opener. And your pass defense was a concern against Marshall.

Shannon: It wasn't a concern. We gave up two or three busts, which was communication problems. That's not a concern.

Q: Oklahoma was throwing the ball a lot.

Shannon: Oklahoma will run the ball. Coach (Bob) Stoops does a good job in run-pass. They're going to run the ball, do some play-action to get deep balls on us. That's what they do best, and every coach knows in America the only way you can win is if you establish the run game, do a lot of play-action passes to get big plays and keep defenses off balance.

Q: You told the team after the game they had five minutes to enjoy the win?

Shannon: I don't even know about five. It might have been shorter than that, about three or two.

Q: How hard was it for you to adhere to that five minutes, because it was your first win as head coach.

Shannon: When (players) gave me the game ball after the game I gave it to (trainer) Bobby Revilla as soon as I walked into the locker room. The game's over. Game balls don't really make or break you. You have to get ready for the next opponent. You can't dwell on it. You can party all night, get Gatorade thrown on your head, have everyone in Miami pat you on the shoulder. But you know what? That isn't going to help you win the game next week against Oklahoma. So we have to be prepared for it, get it out of our minds quick.

Q: So you don't want the kids celebrating at night after the game?

Shannon: I can't tell kids what not to do. But they know make sure you understand just don't let my phone ring at midnight and we have no problems.

09-03-2007, 01:32 AM         #2342
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Q: You were slapping hands with people before the game, were with the team over with the band afterward. When was the last time you enjoyed a win that much?

Shannon: Before the game, that was just old guys I coached, haven't seen in years. You have to understand, it's good to see those guys. There's guys I coached that have made careers with their lives, which is something I always feel good about. I get enjoyment out of that. Football games, they're great, but when you see those guys come back and support you, even older guys from before my time, it's just good to see those guys still supporting the University and being part of the program.

Q: It wasn't an extra special win for you personally?

Shannon: Just a normal win. That's all it is. Everyone thinks the year we won the national championship was a great time. I came on the field, talked to Don Bailey, somebody else, went in the locker room, showered and that was it. That's how life is with me right now. I don't get too emotional about life.

Q: How big a concern were the dropped passes?

Shannon: It's a concern. Third and three to four, you make that catch, the ball is still moving. But I'm not concerned about it. I think those guys pressed themselves too hard. Darnell Jenkins and Lance, those guys have been making plays all through camp. They were open, probably just were shocked they were so open because they've been going against our defense for a long period of time. Darnell dropped a ball, had his head down. I said, `Darnell, you've got another three quarters to go. Let it go. When you get another opportunity just catch the ball.' They put pressure on themselves for no reason. They're entitled to make a mistake. That's just a part of football.

Q: What were your thoughts on the crowd?

Shannon: It was a noon game. We had 39,000 at a noon game. We can't even get 39,000 at a night game sometimes. The student section was 5,000. That's more than half of the students on campus. And then we got the fans to come out and support the University for a noon game. That usually doesn't happen. I think that's the start of something special, something new. I keep saying if the fans can support us and have the momentum like they had in the stadium yesterday the way it was going, it'll be a great time. The fans were really into the game. It was fun. The players talked about it after the game. It was great.

Q: How did Demarcus VanDyke and Dwayne Hendricks do?

Shannon: They really, really did well. Van Dyke really stepped up. He didn't go out and play like a nervous freshman. He moved around, played well, played fast, did a lot of good things. I'm pleased with him, but he's got to get better every week. That's one thing we have to do as coaches. Like typical freshmen, they think they had a great game and the next week slack off with their work ethic. I'll ride Van Dyke hard, and coach (Tim) Walton and (Wesley) McGriff will ride him hard because that's the one thing about young guys – they always take the good and just run with it, don't let it go. Dwayne in the past played 15, 20 plays a game. Now he stepped it up, played maybe 40. So that was even better for him. And Antonio Dixon came in and did a good job. We had a little rotation going, rotated four defensive ends in pass rush situations. It was good.

Q: It'll be a shock for young players going to Norman, Okla.

Shannon: It won't be a shock. You have to think about it. Some of these kids are from Texas. They've played in big games before in Dallas, Tex., 30,000 or 40,000 fans screaming in rival games. Kids from Northwestern, there's always been big games. Just because it's Oklahoma and there'll be 80,000 or 105,000 - those fans won't make any difference between those yard lines. They won't.

Q: Will you prepare them for crowd noise?

Shannon: I don't even worry about it.

Q: Last year the team was 1-4 on the road. Do you worry about any carryover to this year?

Shannon: No. Last year was last year. If you watched them yesterday they were still flying around and having fun out on the field. I mentioned this, that I really thought the offensive line was going to be key to what we're doing. You look how they blocked yesterday. They didn't slack off, kept pounding it, running, moving. That's the thing that people have to understand about us. We're a different team. Those guys are going to go out and play and know they're going to substitute, but when the opportunity comes I'm going to help this team win and don't worry about if you're in our out. Just go out and play and have fun.

Q: How did Tavares Gooden do at middle linebacker?

Shannon: He played well. Last year he asked to move to middle linebacker at one point in time because we had injuries. I said, `No, no, no, no.' This year in nickel situations we put him at middle linebacker the whole entire camp. We were nicked up at middle linebacker with injuries, and with him and Colin McCarthy playing the same position and Spencer Adkins came along well, the only guys we had left were Allen Bailey and Eric Houston. So we took the two best guys and split them – the older guy always moves. So he moved to middle linebacker. Next thing you knew he was a found guy. I asked him the difference. He said nothing, it's easy for him.

Q: How is this coaching staff doing?

Shannon: Coach (Patrick) Nix is the supervisor of offense. (Tim) Walton is the supervisor of defense. Joe Pannunzio is the supervisor of the special teams. Would you believe I help coach Pannunzio? Whatever he wants to run, I help him even though I'm the head coach. One thing I love about this staff, there's no hidden agendas. Everybody just wants to win. It isn't about myself, me, my guys are doing this – it's all about the team. That's one thing with this coaching staff that's great. We're all in it together.

Q: When Javarris was asked about his touchdowns, he said he wished Cooper got them. You don't see that too often.

Shannon: No you don't. This is a special, special team this year. I wish well for them, I think we're going to do well. And it's a unique situation.

Q: So you like the foundation here as far as chemistry?

Shannon: Chemistry and everything we're trying to get done. Like going to the stadium we don't ride as offense and defense. We just mix up. We're riding to the bus, talking, and you start to feel the bond with that guy. When you keep it separate you can't build that bond. Kareem Brown called me last night around 10:30. I said, `How's it going Kareem?' He said, `Coach, I'm glad you all won, I'm proud. But coach, you told me once I leave college it's strictly business and I have no more friends.' He said, `Coach, I really don't have anybody I can a.ssociate with, because everybody's trying to get a job, trying to feed their families. And I miss college. I appreciate the times we had on defense. Make sure you get that whole team to understand now on enjoying each other instead of just offense and defense.' And when he called I felt better, because I know I'm doing the right thing when you have guys that can call that are at the next level and understand it.

Q: How was Matt Bosher's performance?

Shannon: It was fine. His one punt he tried to pooch, his first of the game, it went straight up and came back down on the 20. He was nervous. He kicked one down to the (three). That's going to happen with a guy first time doing it. He's nervous. He'll get better.

Q: How about Francesco Zampogna?

Shannon: He missed one and made one, so he's 50/50. He made his extra point. He's doing well.

Q: Do you see more completeness in Javarris James' game?

Shannon: He has to keep getting better every week. I was in the offensive huddle and he grabbed Cooper, said `When you see that guy come up make sure you protect, because if you don't protect we'll have problems.' I was happy about that.

Q: Any memories of playing Oklahoma when you were a player at UM? That was for the national championship.

Shannon: It was a good game, a chance to win a national championship. But that doesn't have anything to do with this Oklahoma game this week. That was my heyday. That has nothing to do with where these guys are now. I don't think half these guys were even born that I'm coaching right now.

Q: You're not nostalgic, are you.

Shannon: I don't even watch (the old UM games) when they come on TV. I like military pictures, though, watch them all the time.

Q: Is there anything that hasn't worked out the way you wanted it to?

Shannon: Not really. Those guys are really doing the things it takes to win. In this (team meeting) room and on this team, I'm the only one that's ever won a ring. I think those guys are trying to buy into what they want. And that is a ring. They want to win a national championship.
 9 years ago '06        #2343
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11928 11928

hook me up famo

09-03-2007, 12:26 PM         #2344
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
September 3, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Ramon Buchanon bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Melbourne (FL) Palm Bay LB and Cane commitment Ramon Buchanon says there's a simple reason he earned the nickname "Cookie."

"I guess I eat a lot of cookies," he said. "Some people said I was a cookie monster - that started in eighth grade. I still eat a lot of cookies. I like chocolate chip cookies - I eat any kind of them. I'll eat about 10 at a time."

And it was a sweet start to the season for the linebacker.

He had seven receptions for over 100 yards and a touchdown and also rushed for over 50 yards in a season-opening win. On defense he had over 10 tackles.

While Buchanon says he remains a UM commitment, he did attend the University of Florida's game unofficially over the weekend.

"I went to watch their game," he said. "It was alright. I went with my coaches and three of my friends."

How hard is UF recruiting him?

"Even harder (than before he committed to UM)," Buchanon said. "At the game coaches brought me to the side separately and were talking to me in the locker room.

"They told me they have the courses I want to major in (automotive engineering) and about the crowd, how they have the largest crowds."

Buchanon says he decided to go to the game because "My coaches were going there for a tailgate, one of my coaches is a booster and he asked if I wanted to come and I said `Sure.' Two of my coaches went."

Buchanon says he spoke with Cane coaches two days ago.

"Coach (Michael) Barrow was asking me what's going on, how my family's doing," Buchanon said. "That was the first time I talked to them in a while (because of the dead period). He asked me am I still going there, and I said `Yeah.'"

Buchanon says there's "Higher than a 90 percent chance" that he'll be a Cane in the end.

"The Hurricane coaches, they're real cool," he said. "And I have family down there, my grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, most everyone in the family."
 9 years ago '07        #2345
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8

can someone post this? thx
 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM         #2346
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ttime236 said:

can someone post this? thx

September 3, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Even though the Hurricanes aren't ranked while Oklahoma is in the nation's top 10, Sooners coach Bob Stoops said today that he certainly isn't taking anything for granted against UM this Saturday.

"We're looking forward to a challenge with Miami coming, a great game coming," he said. "(Miami's) a good, solid football team this year. If you watch them, as always you see physical good looking players that play hard, a lot of speed and they're coached well. They're in position and play hard. That's what you usually see when you watch a good Miami team.

"These kind of games are exciting for all the fans in both programs for sure."

Oklahoma threw for over 400 yards in its opening 79-10 win over North Texas.

Miami, meanwhile, had some busts in the secondary in a win over Marshall.

Stoops was asked if he'll try to take advantage of the Cane defensive backs.

"They've got a good slid secondary, guys that make plays," Stoops said. "You have to be able to execute and run your routes correctly. Each week it's the same thing, trying to beat coverage."

This game could turn into a battle of redshirt freshmen running the ball with Graig Cooper for Miami and DeMarco Murray for Oklahoma.

"There's more and more players that are ready to play (early in college) because of how they're developed in high school, Stoops said. "The high school coaches do a great job, develop their bodies sooner, more lifting regimens, training regimens. Some of the guys come in with the bodies and physical ability to compete. I thin the high schools really do a great job even mentally of getting these guys prepared."

Stoops was asked if there's anything about Miami that keeps him up at night.

"I'm not much on staying up at night," he said. "I'm not a big worry guy. You respect how hard they play, their overall speed at all positions. Offensively those great running backs you see can break a play all the time. You see defensively great fronts, guys up front that really cause a lot of problems for you. It's just a solid team with a lot of good players. Randy (Shannon) will do an excellent job with them."

* UM has several young players that will be playing in their first hostile road environment.

Shannon has already said he doesn't see that as a big deal.

And Stoops agrees.

"They've got a tradition rich program, great players there," he said. "I don't see that as going to matter to them at all. They're going to come in here and play hard like they always do. I don't see where that's an issue. I feel the same way with our young freshmen we bring on the road – they get ready to play. If you have a strong program it doesn't matter where they're at."

* Of redshirt freshman Sam Bradford, who had a strong first game, Stoops said, "The scrimmages and all you appreciate what he's done. But until you get out in game-like conditions you don't really know. He handled the whole situation in a positive and good way. He did a great job of putting (the hype) aside and doing his job. He managed it all in a really positive way, managed his emotions well, threw the ball well, and that will give him confidence to just do his job. You don't have to be superman, just do what you're capable of doing and let the guys support you."

* Stoops was asked if he has any recollection of the past great Miami-Oklahoma battles.

"I do," he said. "I remember watching them back in the mid 80's. they were great teams, great players all over the place, great players. They were great games for sure. Both teams between the two of them there's not a lot of losses there."
 9 years ago '04        #2347
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
told yall FSU was overrated ...there was no reason for them to be ranked.
 9 years ago '04        #2348
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
i'm watchin the marshall game replay....damn colin mccarthy was all over the field, shuttin down everything
 9 years ago '04        #2349
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Future looks bright for Canes

Randy Shannon's eight-month joyride as UM's coach meets its first potential speed bump Saturday at Oklahoma. But whatever happens, what Shannon and his staff have done to upgrade UM's talent isn't merely great -- it's historically great, one expert a.sserts.

''For a new coach, Randy Shannon has had the greatest impact in the shortest time in the past 25 years in coaching,'' said Tom Lemming, who has analyzed recruiting for 29 years. `` Urban Meyer had a top 10 recruiting class in his first year at Florida. That would be the only guy to compare him to. But Pete Carroll didn't do this at USC and Charlie Weis didn't at Notre Dame.

``Shannon is going to control South Florida. Florida and Florida State will have to look elsewhere. With Shannon's personality and ability to recruit, the recruits will stay loyal.''

For the '08 class, Lemming ranks UM behind only Notre Dame, ''but Miami could wind up No. 1.'' Of UM's 17 non-binding oral commitments, 11 are among ESPN's top 140 national prospects, led by Pompano Beach Blanche Ely defensive back Patrick Johnson (8th) and Miami Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Fortson (28th).

Projecting recruits is obviously unscientific. But factoring in next year's oral commitments (if they follow through), this freshman class (which Shannon and staff solidified) and Larry Coker-regime holdovers, the long-term future suddenly looks bright, especially at:

Defensive back (five promising freshmen, led by DeMarcus Van Dyke, and blue-chipper Johnson presumably easing the potential loss of junior Kenny Phillips to the NFL); linebacker (sophomore Colin McCarthy and junior Spencer Adkins are emerging and UM has five oral commits, including four players ranked in ESPN's top 92 at any position), running back (QB Kirby Freeman on Tuesday already was calling the Javarris James/ Graig Cooper combo the nation's best) and receiver (analysts believe impact players should emerge from Leonard Hankerson, injured Jermaine McKenzie, and '08 oral commits Aldarius Johnson of Northwestern and Davon Johnson of Booker T. Washington).

Even if Freeman, a junior, remains average, there's long-term optimism at quarterback with Robert Marve and '08 oral commitments Jacory Harris (Northwestern) and Taylor Cook (Altair, Texas). ''Harris and Cook are big-time prospects,'' Lemming said. ``Taylor's more polished, but Jacory might be better suited for that offense.''

UM's also in contention for other top prospects, including two from Krop -- linebacker Etienne Sabino (UF and USC are among others in the mix) and cornerback Travis Howard.

''Shannon has set the stage for what could be an amazing six-year run of talent,'' Florida Football editor Corey Long said. ``He's upgraded speed and talent at every position -- receiver the most.''

• Freeman, who knows he must improve, said last year if his first target was covered, his first instinct was to run. ''Now I'm coming off the first, second, third reads'' before doing that.
 9 years ago '04        #2350
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
A look back at UM's rivalry against Oklahoma
Randy Shannon, who was a UM player the last time the Canes played Oklahoma, knows history will mean little when the teams meet Saturday.

The day was Sept. 27, 1986, and Oklahoma football coach Barry Switzer was through with the Miami Hurricanes -- or so he thought.

''I never want to play them again,'' Switzer grumbled following Miami's 28-16 regular-season victory in the Orange Bowl.

Turns out Switzer would not only play Miami again, he would relinquish his No. 1 ranking and the national championship to the second-ranked Canes on Jan. 1, 1988, in the Orange Bowl.

Oklahoma went 33-3 during the 1985, '86 and '87 seasons. Its only losses: to Miami.

As Miami (1-0) prepares to meet the No. 5 Sooners (1-0) in Oklahoma on Saturday for the first time since its championship victory, everybody but UM coach Randy Shannon is talking Hurricanes-Sooners. Shannon started at strong-side linebacker when UM won its second national title 20-14 that New Year's Night in 1988, but he refuses to look back.

''I love those guys, but I've got to let them times go,'' Shannon said Tuesday. ``We've got to worry about this football team. It's a new generation, a new start, fresh faces. It ain't Barry Switzer. It ain't Jimmy Johnson. It's Randy Shannon and it's Bob Stoops. It ain't Troy Aikman and Jamelle Holieway. It ain't Steve Walsh and Vinny [Testaverde]. I mean, it's two different guys. So, that's the thing we've got to concentrate on.

``I don't mean no disrespect for what happened in the past, but this is an ABC game, nationally televised. We should get nationwide coverage and that's the thing that's special that everyone needs to be talking about. It's an opportunity for everybody in America to see two great teams play Saturday.''

Most don't disagree. But they're still talking the mid-1980s while they await the 2007 kickoff.

Jimmy Johnson -- UM coach for those three consecutive victories against OU (after OU won in 1973 and '75) -- said he and Switzer, who are NFL studio analysts for Fox Sports, ``are planning a little segment Sunday called Grouchy Old Coaches.

''[Terry] Bradshaw is going to moderate it, and we'll go back and forth,'' Johnson said. ``We still laugh about those games.''

`SCARED TO death'

Johnson said he was ''scared to death,'' the first time he played Oklahoma in 1985, ``because I had a history of coming up on the short end at Oklahoma State.''

But after the first two victories, Johnson said he knew UM would win at home against a ``one-dimensional team.''

Even Melvin Bratton, UM's extraordinary fullback who tore the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee late in UM's title game to end his collegiate career, can look back and smile.

''I blew out my knee but we won the national championship,'' Bratton said this week. 'Before the game, as one of the team captains, I remember saying, `If I have to give up a part of my body to win this game tonight, I'm willing to do so.' I didn't mean it literally. But that's how much I wanted to win.

'When Dr. [John] Uribe came across the field, picked up my knee, shook it and told the trainer, `It's gone,' I started crying. But I went in the locker room, changed, got crutches, came back on the sideline and cheered the guys. Between the adrenaline and the pain medication, I was pretty jovial -- sad, too.''

Oklahoma came into the 1988 Orange Bowl game with the No. 1 offense in the country, averaging 43.5 points, 499.7 total yards and 428.8 rushing yards with its wishbone attack.

Against the UM defense, the Sooners rushed for 179 yards, passed for 76 and scored 14 points. Maybe they were spooked by defensive end Dan Stubbs, who stood near the Oklahoma bench during pregame stretching, and told Oklahoma kicker R.D. Lashar, ``We're going to kick your [behind].''

When an unidentified Oklahoma trainer taunted Stubbs back, telling The Miami Herald, ''I told him his momma dressed him funny. I told him he was illiterate, too,'' Stubbs rushed the trainer and shoved him in the chest. ''I'll mess you up,'' Stubbs yelled.

`NO LOVE LOST'

Tolbert Bain, a starting cornerback, said he and Johnson pulled Stubbs away.

''No love lost there,'' Bain said this week. ``They hadn't beaten us the two previous years and we weren't going to lose another national championship with Coach Johnson.

``The atmosphere of the Orange Bowl that night was very electric.''

While the defense rolled, the UM offense was having a pretty good night of its own, quarterback Steve Walsh recalled. ''We were not intimidated whatsoever,'' said Walsh, who completed 18 of 30 passes for 209 yards, including touchdowns to Bratton and Michael Irvin, and one interception. ``For the most part we were able to control the ball at will.

``As stressful as the season was, with the wear and tear your body takes, to be able to walk off the field being the best, there's not another feeling like that in the world.''

Can UM, 10 ½-point underdogs, win four in a row? The old Canes, naturally, say yes.

''The University of Miami is not North Texas,'' said Bain of the team the Sooners beat 79-10 last weekend. ``Randy will have them prepared.''
 09-05-2007, 12:01 PM         #2351
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm back, went to the Casino for my bday and blew like 5 grand. So before I k!ll myself I wanted to post this.

September 5, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Lerentee McCray bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center

The pressure is on for Cane LB commitment Lerentee McCray.

He says everywhere he turns it seems people are telling him not to go to Miami.

"Most people around here root for Florida," he said. "People around here, I get criticism from Florida fans all the time. They say `You have to think about how Florida's 30 minutes down the road and that's where you need to be.'

"And the Florida coaches tell me that if I go there that everyone can get to come and watch my games."

Is that tempting?

"It is a little bit, but I try to stay focused on where I want to go and where I need to be," McCray said.

It doesn't help that his high school coaches are Florida and Florida State fans.

"They are all for whatever I want to do, but they also said it would be even better if I go to FSU," McCray said. "But they don't really try to lean me there."

McCray says approximately 10 colleges are still calling him on a weekly basis.

He remains in UM's corner.

"I'm still committed to Miami," he said. "It's still pretty strong, about the same.

"I just like everything about Miami - the coaches, the environment down there."

McCray says he will take all his visits and he's setting his first trip for Oct. 19.

Schools he's considering visiting along with Miami include Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, Wisconsin and LSU.

He says he had hoped to attend UM's season opener unofficially but couldn't make it.

"I'll try to make it there pretty soon," he said. "I talked to coach (Michael) Barrow, was just talking to him about how their game went, what I thought about the game. He was just seeing how it was going with me, stuff like that."

McCray's first game didn't go as well as Miami's.

His team lost, 37-7.

"We had a lot of miscues on offense and special teams," he said. "I was at linebacker and running back. I had 60 yards rushing, only got the ball six times. On defense I had around 15 tackles and a sack."
 9 years ago '04        #2352
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
UM quarterback Robert Marve returns to practice field

CORAL GABLES - Miami quarterback Robert Marve and wide receiver Jermaine McKenzie took a big step in their recoveries Tuesday.

Six weeks after the freshmen suffered serious injuries in a rollover crash, they were in uniform on the Hurricanes' practice field. Both are still limited in what they can do, and there isn't a timetable for when - or if - either may be cleared for game action this season.

"It feels good,'' Marve said. ``I think it's a blessing that I'm back on the field.''

They were hurt shortly past midnight on July 16 in the one-car crash on Interstate 75, about 110 miles away from Miami's campus. McKenzie fell asleep while driving Marve's 2007 Dodge Charger; the car rolled several times before coming to rest on its roof.

Marve suffered a broken wrist, dislocated finger and a deep cut on his left (non-throwing) hand, while McKenzie broke a neck vertebrae and wore a brace for several weeks. Another Miami player, linebacker Colin McCarthy, suffered minor injuries in the crash.

``I don't know my status,'' said McKenzie, who had the brace removed last week but isn't yet cleared to wear a helmet during workouts. ``Right now it's still day to day.''

It's still possible that one or both will be medically redshirted after the season, preserving their first year of eligibility.

Marve was one of the most sought-after quarterbacks in the country last season, after leading Tampa Plant High to a state Class 4A championship. He set state records with 280 completions, 48 touchdowns and 4,380 passing yards as a senior, earning him Florida's ``Mr. Football'' award.

``He's just going out there and doing fundamental stuff and things like that. He's not practicing,'' Miami coach Randy Shannon said. ``He's working on conditioning and getting his throwing motion down. ... No timetable, just when the body heals. He's throwing a little bit, but we're not going to let him get any contact.''
 9 years ago '04        #2353
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
True freshman DeMarcus Van Dyke impresses at Miami

CORAL GABLES - Miranda Lovett wandered into the Boys and Girls Club on 114th Street in Miami and signed up her 4-year-old son for a football league for 6-year-olds.

Fourteen years later, DeMarcus Van Dyke would jet past his peers again — starting for the University of Miami as a true freshman cornerback. But on that day years ago, how did Lovett convince organizers to let her 30-pound son play with boys two years older?

"Well," she admits, "I changed the birth certificate a little bit."

There were many advantages to roaming secondaries while peers were exploring nap time. Coaches now rave about Van Dyke and how his good technique is because of his early start.

"He is fast, but he's a student of the game and a coachable kid," UM defensive coordinator Tim Walton said.

"He does what you ask him to do."

Last week coach Randy Shannon yelled out across the field, "Hey, Phillip!" Van Dyke was confused until he was informed that for a brief instant, Shannon had mistaken Van Dyke for Phillip Buchanon, a former first-round NFL Draft pick for the Hurricanes.

The road from Pace High School to Coral Gables was longer than anyone thought it would be. Van Dyke, from a family of Hurricanes fans, committed to Florida when he was a senior in high school.

"The people down in Miami were calling me a traitor," he said.

Van Dyke and his mother agree that while his word rested in Gainesville his heart was still in Miami.

Immediately after making his commitment, he had doubts.

In response to Van Dyke's indecisiveness, his mother left a list of questions in the kitchen, questions like, "What school will develop you the best as a football player?" Every day after school for a week, Van Dyke wrote down the answers, the answers changed from day to day, but at the end of the week, the answer was Miami.

"Running through that [Orange Bowl] smoke — it's a dream," Van Dyke said. "I saw them run through it against Florida State, and it's one of the reasons I came here."

Van Dyke attributes his speed to his development with coaches. Through the years, he worked closely with Pace defensive backs coach Mario Smith.

But the strength, he says, comes from Lovett, the single mother who raised Van Dyke and his two brothers.

While Van Dyke started learning his position by preschool, Lovett was working double shifts at the post office six days a week. In 10th grade, Van Dyke was exploring other sports such as basketball and track, thinking football wasn't his ticket.

Every night, Lovett and Smith were a.ssuring Van Dyke he would not only play football, but play it at the highest level.

"She is a warrior, just like I will be," Van Dyke said. "There have been lots of bad things, but you can never tell, and that's how I have to act."

Their relationship reached a high last week. Lovett saw the news on the Internet at the County Line post office and immediately text messaged Van Dyke — he was a starter.

"I didn't know whether to laugh or cry," she said. "I just know that everyone in the office heard me scream."

Shannon gave a positive review of Van Dyke's debut in Saturday's 31-3 victory against Marshall. He played nearly the entire game at cornerback.

"He was jamming receivers, knocking them out of bounds and covering guys," Shannon said.

He was the only freshman starter. Once again, DeMarcus Van Dyke was ahead of everyone else.
 9 years ago '06        #2354
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11928 11928
 madness said:
Future looks bright for Canes

Randy Shannon's eight-month joyride as UM's coach meets its first potential speed bump Saturday at Oklahoma. But whatever happens, what Shannon and his staff have done to upgrade UM's talent isn't merely great -- it's historically great, one expert a.sserts.

''For a new coach, Randy Shannon has had the greatest impact in the shortest time in the past 25 years in coaching,'' said Tom Lemming, who has analyzed recruiting for 29 years. `` Urban Meyer had a top 10 recruiting class in his first year at Florida. That would be the only guy to compare him to. But Pete Carroll didn't do this at USC and Charlie Weis didn't at Notre Dame.

``Shannon is going to control South Florida. Florida and Florida State will have to look elsewhere. With Shannon's personality and ability to recruit, the recruits will stay loyal.''

For the '08 class, Lemming ranks UM behind only Notre Dame, ''but Miami could wind up No. 1.'' Of UM's 17 non-binding oral commitments, 11 are among ESPN's top 140 national prospects, led by Pompano Beach Blanche Ely defensive back Patrick Johnson (8th) and Miami Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Fortson (28th).

Projecting recruits is obviously unscientific. But factoring in next year's oral commitments (if they follow through), this freshman class (which Shannon and staff solidified) and Larry Coker-regime holdovers, the long-term future suddenly looks bright, especially at:

Defensive back (five promising freshmen, led by DeMarcus Van Dyke, and blue-chipper Johnson presumably easing the potential loss of junior Kenny Phillips to the NFL); linebacker (sophomore Colin McCarthy and junior Spencer Adkins are emerging and UM has five oral commits, including four players ranked in ESPN's top 92 at any position), running back (QB Kirby Freeman on Tuesday already was calling the Javarris James/ Graig Cooper combo the nation's best) and receiver (analysts believe impact players should emerge from Leonard Hankerson, injured Jermaine McKenzie, and '08 oral commits Aldarius Johnson of Northwestern and Davon Johnson of Booker T. Washington).

Even if Freeman, a junior, remains average, there's long-term optimism at quarterback with Robert Marve and '08 oral commitments Jacory Harris (Northwestern) and Taylor Cook (Altair, Texas). ''Harris and Cook are big-time prospects,'' Lemming said. ``Taylor's more polished, but Jacory might be better suited for that offense.''

UM's also in contention for other top prospects, including two from Krop -- linebacker Etienne Sabino (UF and USC are among others in the mix) and cornerback Travis Howard.

''Shannon has set the stage for what could be an amazing six-year run of talent,'' Florida Football editor Corey Long said. ``He's upgraded speed and talent at every position -- receiver the most.''

• Freeman, who knows he must improve, said last year if his first target was covered, his first instinct was to run. ''Now I'm coming off the first, second, third reads'' before doing that.
thats whats really good
 09-05-2007, 06:56 PM         #2355
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yo can we get those rivals articles Rakim
 09-05-2007, 08:41 PM         #2356
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
60% Chance of Rain on Saturday...

FAVORS THE U!!
 9 years ago '04        #2357
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
September 5, 2007

Carey Murdock
SoonerScoop.com Editor

Talk about it in The Crimson Corner
There's a commercial playing during Big 12 Conference games this year. It's a commercial that portrays every day people being heckled by a voice off-camera.

In the commercial, someone makes fun of an old man trimming his hedges in black knee-high socks – that sort of thing.

SoonerPhotos.com
Brent Venables wouldn't mind if Miami came into Norman with a f!ghting attitude
It's trying to promote better sportsmanship by fans. It ends with a tagline saying something about the viewer not wanting to be heckled, so why would they do the same to a student-athlete?

The first time I saw it, I laughed, but not at the people being heckled, or even the cleverness of the commercial. I laughed at the sentiment of the commercial - that the Big 12 actually wasted precious advertising space on such a hopeless and utopian view of big-time college athletics.

College football has become one of this country's biggest sporting events. Colleges benefit from the dollars these events bring in. But they somehow want to wish away the bad parts of big-time sporting events.

Or at least the parts they perceive as harmful or bad for the game.

Somehow sportsmanship and goodwill aren't things Sooner and Hurricane fans are thinking about heading into Saturday's showdown in Norman.

And that's not such a bad thing. Because as much as the NCAA and the Big 12 Conference want us hugging, laughing and cheering as one loving family inside Memorial Stadium on Saturday, that just won't happen.

Because that's not reality.

Reality is what's getting ready to happen this Saturday when Miami steps onto Owen Field.

It's Sooner fans wanting to exact some revenge for what happened between these two teams in the mid-80's – something for which current players and coaches feel absolutely no sense of atonement.

But the present day drama still lies in Miami and Oklahoma. The Hurricane are looking to pave the road back to respectability.

And that path runs right through Norman.

The Sooners are a program that wants to prove they can no longer be pushed around by anybody, including a program known for their brash antics and bully mentality.

It's a Miami program with a notorious past of pre-game skirmishes and in-game f!ghts.

When Miami and Notre Dame had a series in the late 80's and early 90's, it was deemed the Catholics vs. the Convicts but Golden Domers.

Last season, the Hurricane were involved in an ugly benches-clearing brawl with Florida Atlantic.

Thirty-one players were suspended following that game and it led to head coach Larry Coker losing his job.

Even before that nasty incident in the Orange Bowl, the Hurricanes had been involved in altercations the year before. Following a 40-3 loss to LSU in the Peach Bowl, Miami and LSU players locked up in an ugly brawl which spilled over into the stadium tunnel.

When Miami visited Louisville last season, they caused a ruckus during pre-game warm-ups when they gathered on the 50-yard line and started stomping on the Cardinal mascot.

It's a reputation that Randy Shannon has been asked to change with his new position as head coach at Miami.

But with Miami coming to town, it's likely that this won't be your average football game in Norman.

Miami is trying to rebuild its swagger under Shannon. And that could mean plenty of talking before things kickoff on Saturday.

And the OU players and coaches know that.

"We've talked to them. They'll come in here very confident and sure of themselves and our players aren't stupid either," said defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "They know. That's all part of it. They know."

The Sooners are no strangers to pregame altercations. They've had their fair share of such goings on inside the Cotton Bowl over the years.

It's never been a situation that's gotten out of hand for Oklahoma.

"I like a certain degree of the pregame shenanigans," admitted Venables. "It adds a little spice to it and it can excite guys."

"It gets everybody juiced up, there's emotion involved and let the kids have fun and go out and compete."

With so much talk of student-athletes and grade point averages and community service, it's nice to know that sometimes football is still considered a challenge, a f!ght and a battle each and every Saturday.

It's the reason fans flock to Memorial Stadium every weekend. And it's the reason tickets will be at a premium on Saturday.

And to put on blinders and to think that things aren't said which could make mother's cringe in these contests is completely naοve. It's actually something that a lot of players want out of games like this one.

"It gets everybody into the game and ready to play," said Reggie Smith of trash-talking during games. "Nobody's gonna be half-stepping, it's gonna be all out. We're not supposed to but it wouldn't bother me. It wouldn't bother me none."

Talking to OU players and coaches, they expect some amount of bravado coming from the Canes this Saturday. In fact, you get the distinct impression that they'd welcome some of those pregame shenanigans this Saturday.

"I feel as though if you put us against the wall, we're going to come out f!ghting," said Nic Harris. "That's what the fans expect and that's what all of us expect. I'm not saying literally f!ghting, but on the field and within the aspect of playing football. We're going to come out and we're going to grind and work for it each and every down and each and every inch."

But regardless of whether Miami comes into Norman and tries to push the Sooners around, Venables knows there are limits to these types of matchups and these types of emotions.

And none of the history or perceptions about this Miami program takes away from the respect Oklahoma has for the type of athletes they'll be facing this Saturday.

When the subject has turned to the Miami players and their talent level during this game week, these Sooners stand up and take notice.

"That doesn't take away from the tradition, that doesn't take away from the swagger and that doesn't take away from The University of Miami," added Harris. "They're still going to come out and play and they're still going to come out to play up to their ability."

"That (pregame emotion) is not going to help you win," said Venables. "What you want to do, all that being said, is you have to maintain a composure and a focus on how it is you're going to win a game."

That may be true. But it still would be fun to see a little bit of that Miami swagger at midfield on Saturday morning.

Even the Big 12 goodwill toward men department couldn't turn that one down.
 9 years ago '04        #2358
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 5, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

NORMAN, Okla. -- Head coach Bob Stoops and select players met with the media at the weekly football press conference in the Kerr-McGee Stadium Club Tuesday.

HEAD COACH BOB STOOPS
Opening Comments:
"Getting into last week, I was pleased overall with the clean and solid play in all parts of our game offensively, defensively and special teams.
"Offensively, everyone wondered how Sam Bradford would handle the situation. Regardless of the situation and who you are playing, going out in his first game, I thought he was remarkable how cool, calm and collected he was and how he executed. He was excellent in the huddle and at the line of scrimmage. I could think back to several years and first year quarterbacks having two or three fumbled snaps. A lot of things can go wrong, and he just executed in a wonderful way. He threw the ball well with those bubble screens.

"It depends how the other team is playing you, sometimes that play is an option instead of handing it off. He hit those guys going downhill going full stride. He really played well and threw some nice deep balls. He was only off-target on two. One was a deep bomb and was just overthrown by a couple of steps, but it was really out there in a good spot. The other one was an out-route, but the rest of it was really solid. Our receivers came up with some great plays off of the catch."

"Juaquin Iglesias was one of our players of the game and had an exceptional night. He and Malcolm Kelly, who had some great plays of his own. Jermaine Gresham made some nice runs, as did DeMarco Murray in his first start scoring five touchdowns. The protection was solid by the offensive line and they really competed well."

"Defensively, I thought our structure and positioning on the ball and tackling were very sharp. I have seen us in some early games in other years, regardless of who we are playing, busting a.ssignments and alignments and giving them something because of us not communicating properly. It has happened in other games and it didn't happen last week. Guys were very solid and very good. The secondary and the linebackers really got some good pressure up front."

"Nic Harris was a player of the game for us. He applied a lot of pressure, had a sack and an interception for a touchdown. He had a very solid day."

"I was really pleased with the kicking game as well. I felt the guys punted well and Garrett (Hartley) kicked the ball in a great way on his kickoffs. We were able to pin them inside the 15 yard line most of the night. Lewis Baker was exceptional covering kicks."

"We have a perspective on the win. (North Texas Head Coach) Todd Dodge and his staff have only been there a short while to work with that group. We have full understanding of all of that, but I was just overall pleased with our play. That is what we really always pay attention to."

On the matchup versus Miami:
"We are really excited to have a great match up this week with Miami. They are another tradition-rich program who we have a good history with and had a lot of great games with, important games. Miami is a program we have great respect for when we watch those guys play. Randy Shannon does an excellent job. I have known Randy a long time and he has been there and always had great defenses. I know he will do a great job with them, and already has with them in the first game versus Marshall. They are well-coached and always in position. They are very competitive and talented guys running around with a lot of speed and size. Miami is an excellent program and an excellent looking team coming in here this week."

"Offensively, they are excellent running the football. They have two really great running backs. Even when you restrict running lanes, they can find something and make something happen and make people miss them. We will see a lot of athletic receivers and a quarterback who can do a nice job with his legs as well as throwing if they chose to emphasize it more, which I am sure they will. They have a balanced attack, and any time you can run the football it helps with your passing game."

On challenges his team will be face with Miami:
"The defensive front is one of the better ones in college football. It is early in the season, but watching them last week and watching them play last year, they have excellent personnel all across the front four. They have great depth with guys that come in to rotate. To me, they are picking hairs who is starting because they are all really good. Sometimes I feel that way with our front when we rotate eight or nine guys. They have excellent quality players, not only up front but in their experienced secondary and excellent backers. It is a solid defense and one that has been together. Randy (Shannon) and his staff have always had a record of good defenses."

On how he will approach the running back rotation this week:
"We are going to play them like we have planned all along. We want to rotate those guys in and give guys a series here and a break here. If a guy breaks a big run then he is usually gassed, then we will throw another guy in there who is fresh. Hopefully in the fourth quarter then we have fresh guys still coming at them. I see that as a great advantage to have some guys that will keep each other fresh who are really quality players. The offense doesn't change with them, but they all have a little different style."

On the offensive line's play against North Texas:
"Everyone always just loves to talk about the quarterback, but if you aren't being helped then you are going to have a hard time. The line protected him, along with our tight ends and full backs. The protection was really good, and that was a big part of it. Again, you saw some receivers make some plays on short throws that really helped us statistically."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

JUNIOR RECEIVER JUAQUIN IGLESIAS
On playing Miami:
"They're a good team, and always fast. We just have to prepare like we do every week and just focus. We have to be ready for everything that they throw at us and everything they're going to line up for us. It seems like the offense is pretty good and their defense may make some stops for us, so we are going to try and carry it over and come out there ready to play. I think we're ready. We're going to be ready by the time the game comes. We're just going to practice hard and we'll be prepared."

On past games against Miami:
"Coach pulled up an article about the Miami-Oklahoma game yesterday and it is a big game and it just puts that much more emphasis on the game. We know it's going to be a good game and we're going to give it our best."

On the emphasis of playing Miami:
"Coach said that these games mean a lot to the fans and a lot to the program, but he told us when it comes to Saturday it we just have to be prepared to play the 2007 Miami team. It puts a lot on our shoulders. But like coach said you come to Oklahoma to play games like this and face these types of challenges. It's a big challenge for us. I know I've been waiting to play against Miami and it's just one of those teams you grow up watching on TV and we're excited for it."

On moving past Saturday's victory:
"We just take it week by week and we have to consider that what happens in the past is done. This week is different and it's a bigger challenge for us and we're not going to dwell on the past."

On quarterback Sam Bradford since Saturday's win:
"Yesterday it seemed like he's more confident and we're proud of him. I know I was behind him from the beginning. Just seeing him out there I'm ready for him to play for him to see some more. He did a great job and you can tell just the way he throws the ball that he's more confident in himself and hopefully that will carry over."
 9 years ago '04        #2359
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

SENIOR DEFENSIVE END ALONZO DOTSON
On playing "smart football":
"I think a lot of the credit goes to Coach Stoops stressing and making it a strong point that we do the things that we can control. There's simple things that we can control before the ball is snapped. After the ball is snapped holding on to the ball and making sure we have great ball security. When you go back over the stats turnovers can hurt you and we all know that in this game. We try to keep that to a minimum. We just have to play smart football and Coach Stoops stressed from spring to summer not to do little things that can hurt us and put us on the eight ball.

On the team's chemistry:
"We spend so much time together. You begin to build a relationship with guys. If I'm with you all day and we go out to eat and the movies you start to care about that guy a little more. So I think we hold each other more accountable and we don't want to let each other down. I think there is a strong bond on this team. It is a special team and we do seem to hold each other more accountable on the field and off the field. We try to do everything we do right so we can go further. We break it down on the simple things and a lot of teams don't do that. I think that the bond has created a focus on the little things."

JUNIOR CENTER JON COOPER
On his first game:
"I think I did alright. I think I could have done better , along with everyone else. We have a lot more potential than we played, but I think we played pretty well."

On the team's knowledge on the size of this game:
"Oh yeah. We have known it for a while. We have talked about it for a while. It is huge. We are excited about it, I am sure they are excited about it. I'm sure they are confident and they should be. We are confident too. We are ready for a great game."

On the performance of the offensive line:
"We feel we have a lot to improve. We played pretty well as a unit but we always feel like we can get better and better every game so we hope to get a lot better this next game."

On the challenge of Miami:
"They are a great challenge. They are good up front and they have strength, speed and size so we have to get better during the week."

On Sam Bradford:
"He is a great player, good kid. We all knew what he could do so it was just nice to see him do it out on the game field."

On the key to Miami:
"We are going to have to be physical, we are going to have to be fast, we are going to have to execute well. We can't make mistakes or they will capitalize on them. They are very capable guys, they move around the field. But we will be ready, the bigger the challenge the bigger the opportunity."

SENIOR LINEBACKER LEWIS BAKER
On Curtis Lofton playing middle linebacker:
"He is a guy that knows what he is doing. He has a lot of confidence going in as a middle linebacker and that makes you feel comfortable going in and playing with a guy like that. He has been here a while and when you see him putting in the work, watching extra film learning the little things, as a teammate you appreciate that. Knowing that he knows what he is doing and he trusts you and you trust him, it makes it a whole lot easier."

On Miami coming in and running the ball:
"I think that is everybody's game plan in football these days because once you get to the passing game and that is all you have things aren't always too good. But yeah we think they will come in and try to run and our plan is to shut it down."

On the rivalry between OU and Miami:
"You hear it every once in a while around town and Coach Stoops told us a little bit about it. He talked to us about the history. It makes you want to play harder on Saturday. I grew up in Florida and my favorite team was Florida State so it will be fun."

On his performance:
"I am happy, as a linebacker I feel I can always do better. It was a fun game but I hope to just keep getting better."

On the Miami offense:
"They do a lot of things. They try to make it hard for you to key in on one thing. They are good at what they do. I think the main thing is that they are going to come in and try to run the ball and our plan is to stop it."

On what the win last Saturday did for the team:
"The main thing is that we have a bunch of young guys. Coming out and starting that way gives everybody a lot of confidence and we are going to need that going into this game coming up."

JUNIOR SAFETY NIC HARRIS
On what he has learned about the history of the OU-Miami series:
"I have learned that before my years of playing it was a great game. There is a lot of tradition and history behind it and it is going to be a great game Saturday. It is going to be a great test early. We just have to come in and have a great week of preparation."

On coming out so strong in the season opener:
"It is a great start to come out the way we did, you kind of ride on a high. But we also have to keep things in perspective and have a great week of practice this week."

On Sam Bradford:
"He came out and had a great week. You couldn't ask for much more than what he did. If he comes out and does that again, it is going to be great."

On the Miami offense:
"From my understanding they are pretty much a balanced offense. They are going to give you a steady dosage of running and passing. We just have to come out and read our keys and play to the best of our ability."

On Miami with a new head coach:
"They are still the University of Miami and they still have that speed. They are still going to come out ready to play each and every down. We have to come out ready for it and play to the best of our ability."

On the difference in Miami and North Texas:
"We look at each opponent as being the best we have ever played. We have to come out and play like this game is our last game. We take it one day at a time. We have to play like it is a bowl game. We have to come out and start early. We have to have great preparation to make sure we understand what is coming at us. We can't let the running backs get into the grove."

On the team's ability to stay focused:
"I think Michael Jordan said it best, 'Focus and determination is to be able to think about absolutely nothing, when absolutely necessary.' So we just came out and had that focus. We came out and didn't waiver. We just have to do the same thing this week. We just try to be perfect and anything less is unacceptable."

DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR BRENT VENABLES
On the statement that Miami has declined in recent years:
"I think it is a false statement that Miami is in decline. Their record may not be indicative of the talent they actually have. It is a program with great pride and tradition. In their mind they have a clean slate and they will come here and compete hard all four quarters. "

On Miami's ability:
"When I watch them I see great speed and ability. They are tough, physical and talented. Those Florida kids are tough, hungry and prideful. We know they are going to be a quality opponent and we are looking forward to the challenge."
 9 years ago '04        #2360
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 5, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

OL Derrick Morse isn't guaranteeing a victory on Saturday at Oklahoma.

But he's coming pretty close to guarantee territory.

Asked "How big a statement would it be if you guys can actually win this game?" Morse responded, "I think it's going to be a huge statement WHEN we win. Oklahoma's a great team. They're ranked and we're not. So just knocking off a ranked team is going to be great."

Pressed on the `When we win' comment, Morse said, "Well, I don't play to lose. I don't go up there expecting to lose. It's not why I came to Miami. I expect to win. I expect to go up there and win."

Morse says he's confident the UM line will get the job done against a solid Sooner defensive front.

But that doesn't mean it will be easy.

"They have a lot of moves and they're very powerful," Morse said. "Watching them play North Texas (in the opener), the way they manhandled guys sometimes with different club moves and ripping up the field ... and they play all the way the whole play, don't have any loafs. They're going to be playing to the end; we're going to be playing to the end. It's going to be a good battle."

Morse adds that the Oklahoma defensive front "Is very similar to our defensive guys. I believe their defense is very similar to our defense, and we've been going against them all camp. We know how tough our defense is, so we know we're in for a tough, long game."

How many yards per carry does Morse think UM can realistically average against Oklahoma?

"I think four or five is realistic having JJ (Javarris James) and Coop (Graig Cooper) back there," Morse said. "As long as we block it. It all depends on the offensive line. If we get the front four blocked I know Javarris and Coop are going to make some guys miss. And I think there's no reason why we shouldn't get four or five yards a carry."

Miami didn't allow any sacks and had 260 yards rushing in Game 1 against Marshall.

The team hopes to ride that momentum on Saturday.

"It gives us a tremendous amount of confidence going into this week against Oklahoma," Morse said. "As an offensive lineman, seeing over 250 yards rushing it makes you feel you got your job done. We did real well. There's always room to get better and we know that. We're playing Oklahoma, which is a great team. We'll see this week how we do and how we respond."

* Morse said true freshman Orlando Franklin played well against Marshall.

"He did an awesome job subbing in all game," Morse said. "He played tough, played hard all game. He's full of energy and it's good to have him in there to have that rotation."
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside TMZ - 50 Cent Wins $14.5 Million From His Former Lawyers
55 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago