Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
NFL Man quits nearly 30 year stadium job after Buffalo Bills kneel during the ..
161 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA reporter asks Melo about coming off the bench
79 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj congrats Cardi B for her #1
52 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
OT Shannon Sharpe's response to President Trump's comment..
47 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 10 years ago '04        #2301
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,669 | Props total: 3664 3664
Nix: Im Going to Have a Baby

Patrick Nix ran off the Orange Bowl field late Thursday night with his young sons Bo and Caleb in tow. Asked if he'd take time for an interview, he said, "It'll have to be real quick. I'm going to have a baby."

The Miami Hurricanes' new offensive coordinator had more on his mind than just scheming against the Texas A&M defense. His wife, Krista, was due to have a baby.

She drove herself, her parents and mother-in-law to the game and watched from the press box. She even did a live interview with ESPN, but she didn't have to leave for the hospital.

"I'm doing great. No contractions," she told CaneSport after the game. "We made it through the game, that's all we asked. And we'll have the baby in the morning."

Asked to describe her feelings about the game and being on the brink of delivering their fourth child, she said, "My feelings are ecstatic with the "W," so how can you have anything else? Babies give you good perspective on life. Win or lose we would have had a baby in the morning.

"We're sure going to know that tonight will be a lot better. Sleep a lot better with a `W.' I'm real glad we got through the game and I didn't have to go to the hospital by myself, so that was good. It takes a lot of pressure off Patrick to be able to get through the Thursday night game. That's what we noticed when we saw the schedule and I first knew I was pregnant -- Thursday night game. So the best scenario would be to have it Friday morning, knowing that we had a 10-day week. So we're doing good."

The Nix's 9-year-old daughter, Emma, raced up to her mother, patted her on the stomach and said, "No baby yet."

"No baby yet," said Krista.

While Patrick Nix was unleashing a game plan that the Hurricanes executed superbly in the 34-17 upset of the Aggies, Krista Nix had a game plan of her own in case she had contractions.

"We were going to get to Baptist Hospital," she said. "My doctor was hopefully going to get to the game. I told him if I had to page him at the game at least he could ride with me. So we were good to go.

"And then we had it set up that our security guy would get Patrick there as soon as possible. Not that fourth babies are not real important and that daddies want to be there, but you had a job to do tonight. We had to get through tonight.

"It's like he always says, 'I might miss the first two hours of this one's life, but I'm feeding it for the next two or three years.'"

The Nix's did not know if they would have a boy or girl.

"It's a surprise," Krista said. "All of ours have been surprises."

Before heading to the locker room, Patrick Nix talked briefly with his wife. And he agreed to a brief interview.

"It's hard to put it into words," he said when asked his feelings about the game and baby. "To be honest, we've been so focused on the game. And the one thing about the baby, you know it's going to be there. All you can do is wait for it and hope everybody's healthy. I called my wife constantly during the day, stuff like that. Also got work in. No sense worrying about it or anything like that. You prepare for a game and go do it.

"And the other thing is she had her mom and my mom here, so we were in good hands. So I knew I just had to go do my job and let her do her job."

Asked about his game plan for the Aggies, Nix said, "It wasn't a game plan, it was guys playing. Our players made plays, and that's what we have to have. Kyle [Wright] played great, receivers played great. Darnell [Jenkins] made some huge catches on third down early in the game. And probably we won the game when we got that first drive going and got the touchdown there. Sam [Shields] made a couple big plays, Lance [Leggett] had a big play that could have been a touchdown if we just threw it out there for him. The running backs ... the turnovers are what's disturbing. We've got to correct that, because we can't have that. Overall it was encouraging, the guys played good."
 10 years ago '05        #2302
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$14,914 | Props total: 1023 1023
I just got home a couple hours ago after going to the game last night. I left after the field goal that gave us 34 so I missed a TD apparently. I almost missed my flight home cause I was a little hung over from the post game celebration.
 10 years ago '04        #2303
1000bluntz 
space
space
$16,818 | Props total: 9452 9452
Man Cooper is WAY better than James, I don't give a fu*k what anybody says. I was sorely disappointed when the Gator staff backed off of him last year when there was a point when he could have very well been a Gator. I'm not too mad considering we have a lot of talent and will have Moody and possibly Darrel Scott and/or Franklin Green/Jamie Harper.
 10 years ago '05        #2304
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,006 | Props total: 588 588
so i had an calais campbell sighting last night
getting twisted at mister moes
 09-21-2007, 02:34 PM         #2305
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 1000bluntz said:
Man Cooper is WAY better than James, I don't give a fu*k what anybody says. I was sorely disappointed when the Gator staff backed off of him last year when there was a point when he could have very well been a Gator. I'm not too mad considering we have a lot of talent and will have Moody and possibly Darrel Scott and/or Franklin Green/Jamie Harper.

yall got to much speed as is. NCAA needs to regulate that sh*t
 10 years ago '04        #2306
1000bluntz 
space
space
$16,818 | Props total: 9452 9452
 RakimAllahNY said:

yall got to much speed as is. NCAA needs to regulate that sh*t
Word we could field a pretty decent a.ss track and field team with the skill guys we got.
 10 years ago '04        #2307
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,669 | Props total: 3664 3664
 1000bluntz said:
coop is not better than james.

he's good but he's not james.

James rarely fumbles.
James has better vision
is a stronger runner.

only thing Coop does better is that he has top end speed.

JJ will be a 1st Day pick..bank on it. he's not flashy but he gets 3-4 yards out of nothing.
 10 years ago '07        #2308
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,222 | Props total: 12 12
i am sick as fu*k and having the canes slap them boyz up is better than any drug ive been taking
 10 years ago '04        #2309
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,859 | Props total: 0 0
September 21, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport.com Staff
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Seffner Armwood High School OL Matt Patchan has things narrowed down.

A bit.

He says he has three official visits set up, and that he may not take any more than that as he is graduating in December.

The lucky three?

Florida, LSU and Miami.

He's visiting UF for the Auburn game Sept. 29, will be at LSU for its Auburn game Oct. 20. He will have UM leave the final impression on him when he takes in the Canes game against Virginia Nov.10.

That is Miami's final game in the Orange Bowl, and Patchan says he will take the visit with his father and uncle, who are former Cane players.

"That should be exciting," Patchan said. "It'll be a fun game, will be exciting.

"(My father and uncle will) enjoy it. There's going to be a lot of old players there, too, so hopefully they'll have a good time with that. The Orange Bowl will always be a part of hteir lives. They won't forget the times they played."

Patchan says he has no frontrunners among the top three right now.

He says he talks to coaches at each school once a week.

"I talk to (Joe) Pannunzio, (Jeff) Stoutland and coach (Randy) Shannon at Miami," Patchan said.

Of his impression of Stoutland, Patchan said, "I think he's a good coach, very knowledgeable, and the players are really enjoying him as a coach there."

Patchan's team won its first three games, but he missed one and a half of them due to a suspension – he was ejected from the game against Plant High by referees and lost his appeal to have an ensuing one-game suspension lifted.

In the full game he played he had 10 tackles, three sacks and three tackles for losses while playing both ways.

He plays left tackle on the offensive side of the ball.

This dude is the best Guard in Florida, it would be huge if we picked him up and stole him from gaytor country cuz after all, he's from Seffner-Armwood
 10 years ago '04        #2310
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 22, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Altair (TX) Rice Consolidated QB and Cane commitment Taylor Cook has helped his team to a 3-0 start, including a 36-21 win over Brookshire Royal, which plays a classification ahead of Rice High.

Cook says that was his best game of the year – he had two touchdown passes with one interception that he says "wasn't a smart decision."

The 6-foot-7, 210-pounder says he's working hardest on "just getting quicker, stronger, faster, making better reads."

He says the Canes are the only school actively recruiting him – he's told other schools he's a solid UM commitment.

"I'm only visiting Miami," he said.

Cook says he thinks he can come in and compete to start right away.

"I'll be ready," he said. "I'm going to take off baseball (this spring) and will work on getting better and will try to compete and try to win the job when I get there."

How realistic is it that he might play right away?

"I have just as good a chance as Jacory (Harris) has because we're both out of high school," Cook said. "It's going to be tough because Kirby (Freeman) will be a senior, but anything's possible."

Cook says he sees talent on UM's offensive side of the ball that can make this an explosive team.

"They have athletes at receiver and everything," Cook said. "They have to get things together and they'll be fine."

He says he speaks with UM offensive coordinator Patrick Nix every week.

"We just catch up, talk about the week, how they're playing their game, how I'm going to go about my game," Cook said.
 10 years ago '04        #2311
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Word out there is that Deonte Thompson wants to transfer to Miami.... Is this true?
 09-23-2007, 09:37 AM         #2312
Sh0wty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its A Rumor.. But Randy has gotten plenty of "Transfer Requests"
 10 years ago '05        #2313
Santoro 12 heat pts12
space
space
$7,949 | Props total: 5 5
Everyone will appreciate this
 10 years ago '05        #2314
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$13,006 | Props total: 588 588
ne body know or heard if saturdays game vs duke is gonna be televised?
 10 years ago '07        #2315
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,222 | Props total: 12 12
 Santoro said:
Everyone will appreciate this
haha Sebastian k!lled it !!!:applause::applause::applause::applause:
 10 years ago '04        #2316
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 25, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Miami Northwestern OL and Cane commitment Brandon Washington attended last Thursday night's game against Texas A&M as an invited recruit.

"It was a very good game," he said. "I wanted to come see them play, wanted to see how they bounced back from the loss to Oklahoma. I thought they should have beat the heck out of FIU. Against Texas A&M they played great.

"The fans showed much love. They showed me that if I come there it would be great for me."

Washington attended the game with several teammates, including OL/DL Ben Jones, who has a UM offer but has not made a decision yet.

"I told him you have love, that he should commit," Washington said. "Everyone was yelling his name wherever he went.

"I hope he comes to Miami, but I don't know. I know he likes Ohio State, but I want him to go to Miami. He's a great player."

Washington says he will be taking other visits: "I haven't set them up yet, but I want to get up to LSU, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, and I may go to North Carolina," he said. "I'll take them after the season."

The chances he sticks by Miami in the end?

"It's very strong commitment," Washington said. "What I think about is my family. College-wise I want them to be part of the experience, be able to get to every game."

Washington is playing left tackle in high school but says "I think they need me at guard (at Miami)."
 10 years ago '04        #2317
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 25, 2007

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room

Some might view the next two weeks as a slight break for the Canes with games against perceived lesser opponents Duke and North Carolina.

Just don't tell coach Randy Shannon things will be easy this Saturday against the Blue Devils.

"We're not going to take them lightly – last year they had a chance to beat us," Shannon said. "It was coming down to the last play of the game and it was a great play by Willie Cooper to get us out of that situation. This team understands what Duke is about, what kind of pressure they put on us last year. As you watch tape they played Navy tough, came back late in the game against Virginia, beat Northwestern at Northwestern. Those are things you take (into) account."

Shannon added, "I've been watching a lot of Duke tape – they don't ever quit," Shannon said. "They always keep f!ghting, playing hard the whole entire game. They have the capability of making big plays and that's how they get back in games. They're aggressive on defense. When they blitz, they blitz. They line up everybody on the line of scrimmage, say if you can beat us throwing the ball, beat us throwing the ball. They're not as exotic as they were on defense last year. They line up and say, `Beat us.'

"Defensively we have to do a good job of making sure we stop the run and don't give up big plays. Their quarterback (Thaddeus Lewis) is doing an unbelievable job right now reading coverages. He looks like he did at Hialeah Miami Lakes when he played (there). He's doing a great job. The run game does just enough to keep you off balance for what they're trying to get done."

In injury news Shannon said DT Josh Holmes is back and will play this week.

"He's all cleared, ready to go," Shannon said.

And he had some surprising news: Linebacker Romeo Davis will play some special teams this week, Shannon said.

"He practiced the last two weeks," Shannon said.

And he also said safety Lovon Ponder is on his way back and could practice tomorrow.

And linebacker Glenn Cook is possibly two weeks away from getting back in action, Shannon said.

"He's still out," Shannon said. "Glenn just got his boot off last week. He'll be another maybe two weeks, depending. It just depends.

"We're starting to get everybody back healthy."

Shannon said Glenn Sharpe, who is back from injury, "just has to earn his way back" at cornerback.

"Around here everybody's up for competition," Shannon said. "He could have played (last week). He just has to get back in the rhythm."

Here's what else Shannon was talking about:

Q: You led 20-2 last year with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter and almost lost at Duke.

Shannon: They never quit. That's the one thing on tape – that team is never going to quit, keeps playing hard.

Q: Thaddeus Lewis is from down here.

Shannon: I watched him, recruited him. He wanted to leave town and we had quarterbacks on the roster. He did what's best for him. I've liked watching him play, and everybody watches his career from Miami.

Q: Willie Cooper saved that game last year with a big play late, the interception.

Shannon: he just read what they were doing and broke on the ball. That was the key to the game. It was a great throw. If Willie didn't read it right we'd have lost the game to Duke.

Q: How are the DB's doing?

Shannon: Those guys are understanding we can't give up big plays. The defense is doing a good job in the secondary. All the cornerbacks are doing a good job. We go by practice at cornerback. Whoever's not blowing a.ssignments, that's who we go with.

Q: Is Bruce Johnson your best cover corner?

Shannon: Yes. He's got some natural skills. He feels like he's been here forever. He's played the nickel, corner. Bruce has done a lot of good things for us. Bruce has matured a lot - that's a tribute to him understanding what it takes, that football can be taken away from you. Kelly (Jennings) is not around, and I think that's made him grow up a lot and understand what it's all about now.

Q: Will we see the direct snap a lot again?

Shannon: That's just game plan situations. You can't use it every game because people will prepare for it. You just have to have it in your game plan to make people work on it. It's like the option. Nobody likes to see option football because that makes you work on it in practice and takes away from what you're trying to get done.

Q: Talk about Willie Cooper's progress.

Shannon: Willie's doing great. He had two forced fumbles (last week). He's a senior, is playing well. He plays hard. He's played special teams. This is his opportunity to play. He played weakside linebacker, strongside linebacker, safety, he's a guy that moved around and understands what it takes. He's never had an attitude, has always been positive. He knows his role, that whatever we need he'll do very well at that position.
 10 years ago '04        #2318
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
Q: Is the direct snap something you're seeing more and more in football?

Shannon: A lot of people use it for goal line, short yardage, that's when you see it. Arkansas uses it. LSU used it against us two or three years ago. A lot of people use it on key situations. Now, you use it every week and people will game plan it and it won't be effective. You have to pick and choose when you use it.

Q: When Graig Cooper fumbles what do you do?

Shannon: Fumbles are not acceptable around here. He knows that he has to work this week. If he doesn't get it done he won't play. That's the bottom line.

Q: So if he fumbles again he's out – the leash is that short?

Shannon: It isn't the leash is short. Kyle – let Kyle keep fumbling we'll get him out of the game. It's not Cooper, it's not Kyle - everybody's that way. Turnovers can demoralize you on offense. Not one person, turnovers in general. We work on it every day and will work on it even harder this week. Cooper, after the game, 1:30 at night he called me after the game, said `Coach, this is Cooper, I won't do it again.' I said `Do what?' He said, `Fumble twice.' I said, `Coop, understand how it is. We cannot accept turnovers. Be prepared to work hard next week. If you don't somebody else will play.' It's not a short leash, it's just turnovers. You can't win game turning the football over, and everybody understands they have competition behind them. If Cooper fumbles the ball Shawnbrey McNeal is behind him. You think Cooper doesn't realize Shawnbrey can play? I'm not trying to be tough, but that's the only way you get guys to understand. Then they'll work harder.

Q: You get calls late from players a lot?

Shannon: I get a lot of phone calls from players late at night, things they've done in the game or they just want to talk. Not just Cooper – a lot of guys call me, because they want to do well. I really, really respect them. But they also understand me, that we have to play the best guys that give us the opportunity to win.

Q: Why are there the fumble problems?

Shannon: We hit those guys. I hit the running backs with dummies for two weeks, quarterbacks the same way. It's just guys not concentrating, lack of concentration. Jimmy Johnson always said never tell a guy `Hold the football.' He just tells them `Protect the football.' (He said) don't ever say `Don't fumble' because then all they do is think about holding the football and not running. Say protect the football, and all they do is squeeze it a little more when they're running. So we say protect the football. You have to stress those things in practice.

Q: What happening on Kyle Wright's fumbles?

Shannon: He's getting hit from behind. He has to protect it from behind.

Q: How do you get focused this week?

Shannon: Watch last week's game against Duke. That's all you have to do, turn on that film and guys understand how easy it is to lose a game against somebody you thought may not be a great opponent. We have to make sure we stay focused on what we have to get done as a team.

Q: Who made the call to have this as a noon game, since there's no TV?

Shannon: The whole building made the call – Paul Dee, up front, myself - it's not a one-person show.

Q: You'd rather play day games?

Shannon: I love to play games in the day. The sun, heat - people aren't used to the weather. I'd play all of them in the day if it was up to me. But it's TV rules.

Q: Guys have traditionally had an advantage at night in the Orange Bowl?

Shannon: When I was a player we played in the day. The heat was an advantage.

Q: What did Kyle do differently this past week?

Shannon: He didn't try to win the game. He threw one pass to Dedrick Epps, a one yard out route Epps made it a first down. Cooper made one guy miss, a first down on a screen pass. He wasn't forcing any balls, was going to take what people were giving him. Just get it in the athlete's hands and now they make the plays happen.

Q: How does that happen?

Shannon: Coaching. Coach (Patrick) Nix and those guys do a great job.

Q: Are you getting to a point with RB Charlie Jones where you may have to redshirt him? He's still in a boot.

Shannon: No. I don't know yet. It's still a long way off, a lot of games left.

Q: How is kickoff coverage?

Shannon: Bad. That's one thing we're going to work on this week is kickoff coverage. We're changing the lineup on kickoff, are going to put some starters on kickoff. And our kicker has to do a better job getting the ball downfield. That's one emphasis we're going to work on. We have to have better field position. We can't give people a short field. We have to be an aggressor and pin them down deep. That's going to be a major factor this week.

Q: Who are some of the starters on kickoff coverage?

Shannon: I don't know yet. Every starter is going to have two special teams (that they do). We have to mix guys around.

Q: Is it something new with using starters on kickoff coverage?

Shannon: No. Sean Taylor and Antrel Rolle started on special teams all four years, Ed Reed, DJ Williams, Jon Vilma were starters on special teams.

Q: Are the receivers helping Kyle out?

Shannon: The whole offense is doing great. Everyone's doing what they're supposed to do, getting open, he's finding the receivers, the running game is going, the offensive line (is doing well).

Q: David Strimple got a punt attempt last game. Matt Bosher is still the starter?

Shannon: He is. Strimple was out to kick it in (from short). We have roles for everybody. Strimple is a kick it in the end zone, down it on the 5, 10. Bosher is hang time, getting it 40, 45 yards with a 4.0 hang time. That's how we're using both of them now. Strimple is better at kicking it down inside the 5. Now Strimple has a role with us on the team.

Q: How is Duke on defense?

Shannon: They do a good job on defense. They've given up a lot of points, but they're lining up eight in the box. They're playing the run or they're blitzing. They've given up some plays. We have to take advantage of what they give us, be patient.

Q: Duke's Vince Oghobaase was recruited by Miami.

Shannon: He came in on a visit. Vince was a big guy that came on a visit that we thought would be a great player here, but he chose Duke. That's all it was.

Q: The ACC is pretty wide open?

Shannon: It's early. We haven't gotten deep down in conference play. Boston College and Virginia have played more conference games. Everyone else is just getting started like we are. Get around the seventh game of the season and you'll know the two or three teams that are battling for it.

Q: With you having the first four games non-conference, does that help?

Shannon: I don't know. When you have a new team early you have some kinks you have to get out. Hopefully the kinks are out. We had to work on red zone offense, will continue to work on that. We worked on receivers catching the ball. Now we have to work on special teams (with kickoff coverage). As we keep working we keep getting better and improving, never take a step back, we'll be fine.
Q: You gave up 17 points late against Texas A&M. What's your perspective on that?

Shannon: We didn't finish the game. That's the thing we didn't do. What Duke does is keep f!ghting. We didn't finish the game. Those guys have to finish the game. They come to the University of Miami to play. If you get on the field you have to make sure you have pride, play defense and offense the way you should at the University of Miami. Those guys didn't respond. Late in the game they cost us points. I was disappointed in that. The team was disappointed. You work so hard to play well and end on a good note, and something like that happens.
 10 years ago '04        #2319
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 25, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room

KYLE WRIGHT Q&A

Q: Coach Randy Shannon said you didn't try to win the game single-handedly last week, and that helped you.

Wright: That's something coach Shannon has stressed not just to myself, but everyone – just go out and do your job. Coach (Patrick) Nix had challenged me the week before, tells me before the game to see how many completions you can get. I think we just went out and had fun, played loose, and that was the end result. (Nix and Shannon) impressed on me to not do more than I should. I probably did that in the past to compensate for other things. I thought the entire offense played great (Thursday). You throw a one yard route to Dedrick Epps and it goes for eight or nine yards. That's the kind of night we had.

Q: You improved a lot from the FIU game.

Wright: I knocked a little of the rust off (vs. FIU). I hadn't played a full true game since last November. I made some stupid mistakes. That's something I can learn from and you won't see me do again.

Q: Your receivers have stepped up.

Wright: Everybody has. The offensive line has given me plenty of time to get the ball to those guys, and those guys have stepped their game up, have really started making plays and catching the fumble.

Q: What happened with the fumble?

Wright: It's frustrating. You try to run, keep drives alive, get first downs, and it's just been twice someone gets me from behind. I have to do a better job of holding the ball up high when I get in traffic. That's something I'm constantly working on.

Q: What do they do in practice to make sure it doesn't happen again?

Wright: We do ball security drills every day. But today they were a little more intent – coach Shannon was over there making sure guys were really trying to strip the football, putting a lot more pressure on guys.

Q: You had a big game against Duke last year. But is it important to have balance this week?

Wright: They do some different looks we haven't seen, but we feel we can run and pass the ball against it. It's definitely important to have a balanced attack. People want to say the run sets up the pass, the pass sets up the run. It's equally important. We have to have balance. That's what we strive for in this offense.

Q: There's an opportunity now to put together a nice little run.

Wright: Now that we turn our focus to the ACC games you have to take it one game at a time, especially with a team like Duke. Last year was a perfect example – if you don't stay in it the whole game they're going to stay around as long as you keep them around. They're going to play hard from the first snap to the last snap. That's really how the ACC is this year from top to bottom.

Q: How did Thursday night compare to your other past performances? Was it your best?

Wright: I don't look at it in terms of what I did. This team for the most part put together a great game, and I was part of it. I feel I did come out and was the most efficient I've been distributing the football. That's something I've been working on. A big win like that was something we came in saying we needed. And it was very positive to get a big win like that.

Q: How big was that win?

Wright: If you were in the locker room after the game you can tell it was like a weight was lifted off everybody's shoulders. It was a very, very good feeling.

Q: What happens to you if you fumble this week?

Wright: I don't know. It's not going to happen again. I don't want to find out.
 10 years ago '04        #2320
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
September 26, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Miami Northwestern High School DL/OL Benjamin Jones says he enjoyed his experience at Miami's game against Texas A&M Thursday night.

"It was a lot of fans, I saw a lot of love," said Jones, who attended with several teammates. "A lot of fans knew who I was. We got a lot of attention - they were telling us how much we wanted us to come there.

"They knew my name. I was surprised. They were saying they love me and they can't wait for me to come out there. Everybody's asking me, `When are you going to commit?' I tell them `I'll decide after I take all my visits.'"

He has yet to set up any trips, but says he expects to take official visits to Ohio State, LSU, Ole Miss, Clemson and Auburn.

He says Miami will not be an official visit, but he says he will take an unofficial visit to campus.

Teammate Brandon Washington has said that Jones likes Ohio State, and Jones says of the Buckeyes that "I like that they have a great tradition, but I haven't been up there yet. They're high on my list, and Miami's up there with Ohio State."

Jones says LSU rounds out his top three.

"Whatever school I go to has to have good coaches, a good bond with all the coaches, including my position coaches," he said. "And have everybody like a family. I want to make the right decision."

Coaches Jeff Stoutland and Clint Hurtt are recruiting Jones for Miami.

And either could wind up being his position coach if he chooses the Canes.

"I haven't played much on defense this year, I've been playing mostly offensive line," Jones said. "It's going great. I went over there (from defensive end) to help the team, and so far it's come along well. I might play offensive line in college. Miami said I can play either. They want me to play offensive tackle or defensive end. I don't care which I play; it doesn't matter to me."

Jones says his teammates that have already committed to Miami are putting on the pressure.

"They tell me, `Man, what you waiting for to commit?'" Jones said. "I don't say anything, just smile."

He adds, "(Having my teammates at Miami will) take a toll on my decision."
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Imagine the backshots
58 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside I wanna bury my face in this rappers @ss
111 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside I Just woke up did nibiru hit us?
34 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Stevie J's latest 𝔅uild-Ǻ-Bit©h
52 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Sep 24 - Trumps NFL tweets are an illegal act.
88 comments
22 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I see riri ima eat it like panini
42 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sep 24 - Sir Jigga launches private airline
62 comments
22 hours ago