Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Forbes: Highest paid YouTube stars :wtf:
145 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Reason why jeremih got kicked out of the tour and possible going to get..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Soulja Boy - Beef (Quavo Diss)
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This picture more rare than Papoose without a hat
45 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 08-28-2007, 07:15 AM         #2201
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
True on All Points CRIP..

Kyle has been given every excuse a QB could have... Simply put, He Does not make good decisions. People say he has the tools to be a great QB.. But in the end, what good are tools when you dont know how to use them?

I believe Kirby gives this team the best chance to win.. Plus, time to think about the future and choose the JR with 2 years to lead us into next season as well.
 9 years ago '04        #2202
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
Kirby Freeman named Hurricanes starting QB

By Kevin Clark | Sun-Sentinel.com
11:33 AM EDT, August 28, 2007

Article tools

* Share this
o Digg
o Del.icio.us
o Facebook
o Furl
o Google
o Reddit
o Spurl
o Yahoo
* Print
* Single page view
* Reprints
* Reader feedback
* Text size:increase text sizedecrease text size

Click here to find out more!

CORAL GABLES - The Hurricanes' months-long battle for starting quarterback ended Tuesday morning when Coach Randy Shannon announced junior Kirby Freeman as the starter, beating out senior Kyle Wright.

"He did a great job preparing for the upcoming season in the film room," Shannon said. "He's going to do a great job for us against Marshall."

Freeman started four games last season -- winning two of them, after Wright went down with a broken thumb. He passed for a career-high 272 yards against Nevada in the MPC Computers Bowl. Freeman has practiced more than Wright after injuries forced Wright to miss practices. Shannon said that Wright's knee soreness had nothing to do with the decision. Wright, a two-year starter, is 14-7 all-time as a starter and was 5-4 in his starts last season.
 9 years ago '04        #2203
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space

August 28, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

The debate raged all spring and into the fall: Which quarterback should start for first-year coach Randy Shannon -- the more experienced Kyle Wright, or the more elusive Kirby Freeman?

Coaches remained mum on the subject all fall and didn't allow the media access to the quarterbacks other than one brief, well-scripted appearance early in the month.

But today the silence was lifted.

Shannon's decision?

Moments ago he said Kirby Freeman is the starter.

CaneSport.com will have all the details of what Shannon and the quarterbacks were saying in the hours ahead.

Many considered Freeman a darkhorse candidate coming out of spring practice.

Last season in the only four starts of his career (he became a starter after Wright was injured) he showed a tendency to throw into coverage, with eight interceptions compared to seven passing touchdowns.

But he had a strong fall camp and edged out Wright, who was hampered lately by what reportedly is a hyperextended knee. Wright has practiced with the knee wrapped tightly.

What no doubt tantilizes coaches is Freeman's extra dimension of being able to run the ball with his 4.4-second speed. First-year offensive coordinator Patrick Nix certainly has experience working with mobile quarterbacks after developing Reggie Ball at Georgia Tech.

Nix has an emphasis on the run game and diminishing turnovers, so that's something Freeman will have to manage with if he hopes to remain the starter beyond Saturday's game against Marshall.

Again, CaneSport.com will have all the details of what Shannon and Freeman are talking about in the hours ahead, so stay tuned.
 9 years ago '04        #2204
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,790 | Props total: 1395 1395
Depth Chart Offense:

SE
9 - Lance Leggett
13 Ryan Hill

LT
64 - Jason Fox
or 76 Chris Rutledge
73 Cyrim Wimbs

LG
72 Andrew Bain
74 Orlando Franklin

C
62 John Rockford
70 AJ Trump

RG
71 Derrick Morse
61 Joel Figueroa

RT
77 Reggie Youngblood
or 76 Chris Rutledge
67 Tyrone Byrd

FL
87 Khalil Jones
8 Darnell Jenkins
85 Leonard Hankerson

TE
11 DajLeon Farr
or 88 Chris Zellner
84 Richard Gordon

QB
7 Kirby Freeman
3 Kyle Wright

TB
5 Javarris James
or 2 Graig Cooper
21 Derron Thomas

FB
Jerrell Mabry
or 18 Dedrick Epps
 9 years ago '04        #2205
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Depth Chart Defense

LE
94 Eric Moncur
47 Vegas Franklin

LT
93 Dwayne Hendricks
92 Josh Holmes

RT
54 Teraz McCray
96 Antonio Dixon

RE
81 Calais Campbell
49 Courtney Harris

SLB
44 Collin McCarthy
59 Eric Houston

MLB
52 Tavares Gooden
50 Darryl Sharpton
57 Allen Bailey

WLB
48 Spencer Adkins
36 Kylan Robinson

LCB
30 DeMarcus Van Dyke
23 Tervaris Johnson

RCB
6 Randy Phillips
or 27 Carlos Armour

SS
1 Kenny Phillips
29 JoJo Nicolas
37 Jared Campbell

FS
28 Willie Cooper
or 35 Lovon Ponder
 9 years ago '04        #2206
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Special Teams Depth Chart

PK
46 Francesco Zampogna
17 Daren Daly

KO
17 Daren Daly
46 Francesco Zampogna

P
25 Matt Bosher
17 Daren Daly

KC
86 Ross Abramson
62 John Rochford

PC
86 Ross Abramson
62 John Rochford

PR
2 Craig Cooper
24 Chavez Grant

KOR
13 Ryan Hill
84 Richard Gordon
 9 years ago '04        #2207
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
August 28, 2007

Steve Megargee
Rivals.com College Football Staff Writer
Balance of power shifting
Revamped staff for FSU
New-look 'D' for Gators
USF coming on fast
Countdown to Kickoff

Miami coach Randy Shannon needed to make only one statement to grab his players' attention.

"Raise your hand if you've won a national championship."

There were no arms in the air. Shannon can raise both of them, and may as well kick a leg up in the process.

Shannon, 41, was a starting linebacker on Miami's 1987 national champions. He worked as a graduate a.ssistant on the 1991 Miami team that won a share of the national title. And he served as defensive coordinator on the 2001 national championship squad that is generally regarded as one of the greatest teams of all time.

Randy Shannon knows what it takes to play championship football at Miami.
"So if you've never won one, trust me,'' Shannon told his players. "I can show you how to do it."

That championship experience has helped Shannon win the immediate respect of a team eager to erase the memories of a 2006 season marked by turmoil and tragedy.

Miami went 7-6 last year and has finished outside the top 10 the past three seasons, mainly because of an offense that has failed to exceed the 13-point mark in nine of its last 10 losses. Miami never stopped playing championship-caliber defense under Shannon, who has coached 15 first-team All-Americans and 17 first-round NFL Draft picks during his career as an a.ssistant.

That's why junior defensive end and All-America candidate Calais Campbell refuses to see Shannon as a rookie coach. Campbell instead thinks of Shannon as a future coaching legend.

"I feel like he's a genius," Campbell said. "He's a true football junkie."

Shannon already commands so much authority that the Hurricanes are willing to follow his long list of demands.

As soon as the Hurricanes hired Shannon to replace coach Larry Coker, the longtime defensive coordinator issued a set of rules that shook up a program not necessarily known for its discipline.

# Any player discovered with firearms is immediately kicked off the team.

# If any player is caught using a cell phone in class, he loses his phone privileges for two weeks. If there are any other players in that particular classroom, they also must give up their phones.

# A player can't move off campus until he has earned at least a 2.5 grade point average.

"You've got guys who are more into everything they're doing," senior offensive guard/center Derrick Morse said. "Coach Shannon brings out the best in everything you do, whether it's watching film, going to class, practicing or playing. If you're not playing to your potential, he'll let you know about it and won't let you deal with it. It's what every school needs. We lacked it, and we've got it now."

Miami certainly needed some type of fresh start after one of the most turbulent seasons in the program's history. After opening the year as the 12th-ranked team in the nation, the Hurricanes needed to end the season with two consecutive wins to avoid a losing season.

All those losses didn't cause nearly as much embarrassment as a brawl with Florida International that only heightened the national perception of Miami as a renegade program, even if the label wasn't entirely accurate. Miami's graduation rate for football players has exceeded the national average 14 of the last 16 years, and the Hurricanes ranked 11th out of 119 Division I-A teams in the most recent NCAA Academic Progress Rate standings.

One month after the Florida International f!ght, the Hurricanes would mourn the death of defensive end Bryan Pata, who was fatally shot Nov. 7 outside his off-campus apartment.

Miami coach Larry Coker was fired toward the end of the season despite winning 80 percent of his games, claiming one national title and playing for a second championship during his six-year tenure.

WHERE'S THE OFFENSE?
The biggest question surrounding new Miami coach Randy Shannon is whether the life-long defensive coordinator can upgrade the Hurricanes' dormant offense. Here's a look at where Miami ranked in total offense and total defense during Shannon's six seasons as the Hurricanes' defensive coordinator. We've also included Miami's final record each of those years.
Year Total Offense Total Defense Record
2001 8th 6th 12-0
2002 6th 7th 12-1
2003 41st 2nd 11-2
2004 66th 28th 9-3
2005 73rd 4th 9-3
2006 87th 7th 7-6
"Miami's a unique place," Shannon said. "If you go 9-3 at some places, that's the greatest thing in the world. Go 9-3 at Miami and they try to fire you. That's the bottom line. Miami's a place where the standards are high, and you've got to accept that the standards are high."

Shannon knows the Miami community's expectations of its football program because he's lived there almost all his life.

He grew up in the Liberty City section of Miami and attended Miami Norland High, where he starred in basketball and track as well as football. Shannon went on to letter four years at Miami and was named the team's most inspirational player in 1988.

After a two-year playing career with the Dallas Cowboys, Shannon returned to Miami and spent seven years as a defensive a.ssistant.

Shannon then worked three years on the Miami Dolphins' coaching staff before he rejoined the Hurricanes as a defensive coordinator. In five of the six seasons since Shannon's return, the Hurricanes have been ranked among the nation's top seven teams in total defense.

That background made Shannon a natural candidate for Miami's head coaching position, but the Hurricanes weren't in any hurry to hire him as Coker's replacement.

Miami officials approached Rutgers coach and former Hurricanes a.ssistant Greg Schiano, who withdrew his name from consideration. The Hurricanes' desire to juice up their dormant offense also caused them to interview Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, whose Red Raiders had led the nation in passing yardage every year from 2002-05.

Shannon finally was announced as Miami's next coach three weeks after Coker's dismissal. Campbell remembers jumping for joy when he heard the news.

"With his leadership ability, motivational ability, knowledge of the game, the way players play for him and his recruiting skills, it would be impossible for him not to be a good coach," Campbell said.

Led by Marcus Forston and his teammates, Shannon is getting back to dominating the Dade County area in recruiting.
Campbell wasn't the only one celebrating.

Shannon's promotion drew such widespread praise that the Hurricanes' media guide includes several testimonials from a Who's Who list of Miami alumni, including Pro Football Hall of Famer and former Miami teammate Michael Irvin, who called the new Miami coach one of the smartest football players he's ever known.
 9 years ago '04        #2208
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
"He has an instinctive feel for all that is involved in being a winner," Irvin said. "The program is in good hands because the program's in his heart. He will teach his players what the Miami spirit is all about. He understands that it is a privilege to play at Miami, and with that privilege comes a responsibility to uphold the success and pride of those who came before, those who are there now and those who will follow."

Shannon hasn't hesitated to preach that message to Miami's current and future players.

Instead of making promises to recruits, Shannon expects recruits to promise they'll follow his rules.

"We let every parent know our rules and what we expect out of kids," Shannon said. "We don't even talking about playing time. We talk about what's expected out of them and what we expected them to bring to the University of Miami. These (rules) are the things you've got to live and die by. If you can't live and die with those things, don't come to the University of Miami."

That tough-love approach hasn't exactly hurt Shannon on the recruiting trail thus far. Miami already has commitments from 16 high school seniors, including a pair of five-star prospects and seven four-star recruits.

One of those five-star recruits Miami Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Forston said Shannon's message attracted him to the school.

"He doesn't just talk about football," Forston told CaneSport.com. "He talks about life and school and other things besides football. I liked that."

Forston's commitment reflected Shannon's emphasis on keeping South Florida's best players close to home. Thirteen of Miami's 16 commitments come from Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties.

Shannon's status as a Miami native has paid off in a big way.

"With the great tradition Miami has, a lot of these kids grew up watching the 'Canes," said Miami Northwestern coach Billy Rolle, whose roster includes five seniors who have committed to Miami. "A lot of them have relatives who have played there. And with Coach Shannon being a product of Dade County, I think it really helps from that standpoint."

Shannon's recruiting success bodes well for the future, but plenty of questions remain about how soon the Hurricanes can return to national title contention. The Atlantic Coast Conference media picked the Hurricanes to finish third in the Coastal Division this season.

As a career-long defensive a.ssistant, Shannon also must prove he can upgrade an offense that ranked 87th in the nation in scoring and total yardage last season. Miami's quarterback situation wasn't settled until Tuesday, when Shannon announced that Kirby Freeman would start Saturday's season opener against Marshall instead of Kyle Wright.

All that uncertainty hasn't lowered Shannon's expectations. He has been around long enough to see Miami beat the odds before.

"I'll put it to you this way," Shannon said. "A first-year head coach, a first-year defensive coordinator and a first-year offensive coordinator won a national championship (in 2001). It can happen. That's why you never limit yourself."
 08-28-2007, 11:13 AM         #2209
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Told YA!! =)
 9 years ago '04        #2210
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
@sam shields being the first player suspended under the new regime...i hope this isnt a preview of whats to come this season, we need him to step up
 9 years ago '06        #2211
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,595 | Props total: 12016 12016
DVD starting corner :wow:
 9 years ago '05        #2212
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 madness said:
@sam shields being the first player suspended under the new regime...i hope this isnt a preview of whats to come this season, we need him to step up
what did sam shields do?
 9 years ago '04        #2213
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 Deeangoe said:
what did sam shields do?
violated team rules, they didnt say which one
 08-28-2007, 01:23 PM         #2214
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Is he gone for the first game?

And although I'm not surprised that its Kirby I would have liked to see Kyle under this offense. Lets hope Randy made the right choice here
 08-28-2007, 03:53 PM         #2215
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Randy has not given any reason to doubt him..

Have Faith...

GO CANES!
 08-28-2007, 11:27 PM         #2216
Bezerk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 RakimAllahNY said:
Is he gone for the first game?

And although I'm not surprised that its Kirby I would have liked to see Kyle under this offense. Lets hope Randy made the right choice here
yes he is, that fu*king idiot... :(
 08-28-2007, 11:31 PM         #2217
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thats some fu*king BULLsh*t.. I been hyping this guy up since they recruited him. "Next Moss, Wayne or Johnson, watch out hes gonna murder your favorite team". First game of the year he drops a crucial pass and now this. n*gga's blew up my phone after he dropped laughing now this :finger::finger:
 9 years ago '07        #2218
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,219 | Props total: 7 7
i have seen that on espnU they are going to broadcast the Marshall game is there any other way to get this game other than espnU?
 9 years ago '04        #2219
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 KingOnSlaught said:
i have seen that on espnU they are going to broadcast the Marshall game is there any other way to get this game other than espnU?
i'm sure someone will provide a link to a stream
 9 years ago '07        #2220
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,219 | Props total: 7 7
 madness said:
i'm sure someone will provide a link to a stream
aight cuz i am already lookin for one of them progs that broadcast espnU
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 4 - Man With Gun Arrested at Comet Ping Pong
160 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Best Buy Buy 2 Get 1 Free 12/4/16-12/10/16
50 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 4 - The People's Cabinet?...Trump's administration for millionaire..
108 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Why Derrick Rose Got Injured, Scientifically
59 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Blackberry Byke
40 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Killing Me Softy
34 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Middle School Student in China Proposes to His Teacher, Gets Mercilessl..
39 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy