Image(s) inside The Girl Who Allegedly Gave Lil Peep The Drugs That Killed Him
118 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL Jerry Jones Catching Heat For Video With "Racial Comments"
67 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Minneapolis Tribune: Harden's NBA 'Eurostep' is unfair and maybe should be..
49 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA After That Awful GAME, Lonzo Ball DROVE & LOCKED HIMSELF IN LAKERS GYM TO ..
60 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 09-02-2007, 12:38 PM         #2181
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sh0wty said:
I will be in Norman on Friday.. I will take pictures for my peeps here on the bx..

Thats whats up.. I can't wait for that game for real..
 10 years ago '04        #2182
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,817 | Props total: 4073 4073
Graig Cooper in Action

10 years ago '07        #2183
KingOnSlaught 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,222 | Props total: 12 12
anyone know of a site i can go to, to buy a custom made jersey?
 09-02-2007, 01:52 PM         #2184
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
September 2, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

In his first interview since coach Randy Shannon announced that Kirby Freeman would be the starting quarterback, Kyle Wright tells CaneSport.com that he's "doing fine."

"I just continue to work hard every day and I know I'm going to get my opportunity," he said. "I know I'm going to get my opportunity and I just have to be ready. I'm still on this team, I'm still a quarterback on this team. I'm just going to keep working hard and not let anything get me down."

Wright says something that has bothered him is criticism by fans that he's somehow selfish.

Wright says blogs and message board posts were brought to his attention by Hurricane coaches.

"I know some things have been said that I'm not a team player and that I'm selfish," Wright said. "But you can ask the coaches – that's about as far from the truth as it can get. I'm still here, I'm still working hard, and I'm still going to support my teammates. That's coming from a lot of people who don't know me and don't know who I am. That's all I can say about that. I'm just going to go out and work hard and that's it."

While perhaps that perception in part arose when Wright declined to meet with reporters following Freeman being named the starter, Wright says the reason he didn't talk was, "I really didn't have anything to talk about. It was tough for me, but I really wanted to go out and still have a good practice. It was hard. But I'm far from selfish and far from not being a team player. That's absolutely not what I am. That's unfortunate that (some fans) think that, but that's far from the truth. I'm still here and I'm still going to work hard."

Shannon was asked today about the perception that Wright is a selfish player.

"Everybody's got their opinion," Shannon said. "I can't tell the fans what their opinions are.

"I think Kyle has done a wonderful job with this team. He's still competing every day in practice to be the best he can be. We had a two-minute drill (in practice) the other day and he almost got one in the end zone to win it for us. So Kyle is not shutting it down, and Kyle is very positive. He had a great time at the game cheering Kirby, the offense and being involved."

Wright says he is simply trying to make the best out of a difficult situation.

He says he was "definitely surprised" when Shannon announced Freeman would be the starter last week.

He thought he had shown he should be getting the first snap this year.

"Obviously I was disappointed," Wright said. "But there was nothing I could do about it. I have to go out and work every day, just be ready.

"I could go one of two ways, and I'm just going to continue to work and be ready when I get my chance."

Asked if he thinks that the fact that Freeman has two years of eligibility while he has only one weighed into the decision, Wright said, "There was a lot of thoughts that went through my mind. The only way that I'm going to get through this and keep going is to keep working hard, not read the media."

Wright says he believes his chances of being named the starter were hurt by a week of missed fall practice due to a knee issue.

"That wasn't the way you want to draw it up," Wright said. "I don't know if that went either way, but there's nothing I could do about that. It's just something that happens, and it was unfortunate, that's for sure."

A former can't-miss quarterback prospect from California, Wright hasn't faced the prospect of being benched when he's healthy since his early years at UM when he arrived as the Gatorade National Player of the Year.

So it was difficult for him to watch on as Freeman led the team yesterday.

"I've faced adversity on and off the field since I've been here, and this is another thing that I have to deal with," Wright said. "I'm not going to let it get me down."

Was it hard for him to be out on the field and not even play in mop-up duty against Marshall?

"Of course," Wright said. "You always want to be out there and want to play. It was definitely hard, but that's not going to keep me down. I'm going to keep working. I know my time's going to come, and when that happens I'll be ready."

* Wright says he wasn't helping call plays in against Marshall, but that he was helping coordinator Patrick Nix keep an eye on what the Herd cornerbacks and safeties were doing.

"Being on the field you can see things a little differently," Wright said.
 09-02-2007, 03:54 PM         #2185
Sh0wty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
RAKIM can we get that article on Shannon and the Corrections..

Thanks.
 10 years ago '05        #2186
DymeKatcha 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,138 | Props total: 921 921
 C.R.I.P. said:
Graig Cooper in Action

Props. All about the U
 10 years ago '05        #2187
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$53,924 | Props total: 6740 6740
here's a nice background for ya'll

[pic - click to view]

10 years ago '05        #2188
DymeKatcha 6 heat pts
space
space
$9,138 | Props total: 921 921
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lame a.ss, Can't stop thinking about US, No body gives a fu*k about FSU wack a.ss.......Can't wait to wipe yall a.ss out.....
 10 years ago '05        #2189
Junior G 114 heat pts114
space
space
$53,924 | Props total: 6740 6740
 DymeKatcha said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lame a.ss, Can't stop thinking about US, No body gives a fu*k about FSU wack a.ss.......Can't wait to wipe yall a.ss out.....
can't stop thinking about yall? :rolleyes:

I won't even comment on us vs. ya'll, because I respect some Miami fans on here. but I thought it was a nice background ya not feeling it? :rolleyes: :applause:
 10 years ago '06        #2190
ANOMOLIE 
space
space
$248 | Props total: 1 1
Here's a highlight tape of the U vs Marshall game. Props to who ever made it.

10 years ago '04        #2191
Playnogames305 
space
space
space
$662 | Props total: 0 0
Dropped balls still a concern for Shannon
Shields' return will boost unit

Lance Leggett led all UM receivers with four receptions for 31 yards in the win over Marshall. (Sun-Sentinel/Michael Laughlin / September 1, 2007)

By Shandel Richardson | South Florida Sun-Sentinel
September 3, 2007
Article tools
E-mail Share
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Furl Google Newsvine Reddit Spurl Yahoo Print Single page view Reprints Reader feedback Text size: CORAL GABLES - University of Miami coach Randy Shannon had little to complain about in Saturday's season-opening victory against Marshall.

But if there were one concern, it would be the play of the wide receivers. They dropped several passes, slowing some drives that might have made the Hurricanes' offense look more productive.

"We had too many drops," Shannon said during his weekly Sunday news conference. "We got in a lot of third-down-and-3 or 4 and the receivers had balls hitting their hands. The thing I will say is the offense didn't get down on themselves ... That's a sign of the team growing."

Related links
Going down Photo
Quarterback Kirby Freeman completed just 9 of 21 passes for 81 yards, but his numbers would have been more respectable minus the drops. Darnell Jenkins and Khalil Jones had at least one dropped pass. It surprised Shannon because most of the receivers were solid in preseason.

"I think those guys pressed themselves too hard," Shannon said. "Darnell and Lance [Leggett], those guys are making plays all through camp. They were open. They were probably just shocked that they were open that much."

The wide receiver unit receives a boost with the return of sophomore Sam Shields for this week's game at Oklahoma. Shields was suspended for the team's opener for violating team rules. It provided opportunities for freshman Leonard Hankerson, sophomore Ryan Hill and junior Kayne Farquharson, who all had one catch.

The passing offense appeared conservative because it mostly featured short routes. Shannon said it was an attempt to get the ball to the receivers, and let them make plays. Leggett caught a team-high four passes for 31 yards, but most of the receptions were made within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.

"Eventually, Lance is going to make somebody miss," Shannon said. "Sometimes, it may be a 2-yard gain and everybody will be upset. But it's not a negative play."

LOOKING AHEAD

There is little time to celebrate the first victory under Shannon. After Oklahoma's impressive 79-10 victory against North Texas, the Hurricanes now find themselves as a 10-point underdog going against No. 8 Oklahoma.

"You can't dwell on [the Marshall win]," Shannon said. "They can go out and party all night. You can get Gatorade doused on your head. You have everybody in Miami patting you on the shoulder. But you know what? That's never going to win the game next week against Oklahoma."

Shannon did say it is at least easier to prepare for this week's opponent. Marshall had mostly a new coaching staff, but Oklahoma made no changes.

"The best thing about playing Oklahoma is the coordinators are the still same, both offense and defense," Shannon said. "So we'll have an idea what they do and we'll have a good game plan."

Mabry Out

Fullback Jerrell Mabry was on crutches after Saturday's game. He was evaluated by team doctors Sunday.
 09-03-2007, 01:32 AM         #2192
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
September 2, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

A day after Miami's 31-3 win over Marshall, coach Randy Shannon summed up his first victory as head coach.

"Guys did a lot of good things on the field, but we also have a lot of corrections," Shannon said. "Defensively we (allowed) too many deep balls down the middle of the field. It was miscommunication and coverage busts. When we played the scheme right we got interceptions and sacks. Some guys were playing one coverage and others were playing (a different coverage). Every big play that came up was because of communication problems.

"Special teams-wise we had some big plays, some big opportunities. We had two aggressive penalties, guys trying to get a big block. Chavez Grant got one (block in the back penalty) that broke Graig Cooper, but like I tell those guys, Cooper will make someone miss. Don't take those chances. So Chavez learned from it.

"The biggest thing was no delay of game or substitution problems. The offensive line had one false start, the holding calls were down dramatically. Those guys are learning."

Shannon also said he was pleased with the play of quarterback Kirby Freeman even though UM didn't have 100 yards passing.

"He played well, decent enough to win the game," Shannon said. "You look at his stats and they're not tremendous, but we had too many drops. We got in a lot of third down and three, and receivers have drops. The offense didn't get down on themselves, which is the sign of a team growing."

Shannon also said receiver Sam Shields, an anticipated starter before he was suspended for violating team rules, will return to action against Oklahoma this weekend.

"He'll play this game," Shannon said.

Asked if that's a big addition for the team, Shannon said, "Not really. He's just a guy. We've got to coach the guys that are going to be there like we did this week."

Shannon knows his team has a big challenge in traveling to face the top 10 Sooners.

Asked if he thinks a win Saturday will put his team on the national map, Shannon said, "I don't know we've ever been off the map. Like anything, we have a brand new coaching staff, 7-6 last year, so nobody's going to put you at that higher level. If we were 11-1 with a brand new coaching staff we'd probably be top 5, top 3. I don't worry about those things. We just have to go out and play this Saturday, and whatever happens, happens. If we win, great. We still have another 10 games left to play. So it's not a one-game season for us. We have to take it step by step."

In injury news, Shannon said he thinks WR Darnell Jenkins is fine. Jenkins appeared to be favoring his right shoulder in the locker room.

"He played the entire game," Shannon said. "You're always going to be sore after the game."

He had no update on FB Jerrell Mabry, who was on crutches after the game.

Shannon also said he's unsure if CB Glenn Sharpe or DT Josh Holmes will be available to face Oklahoma.

Here's what else Shannon was talking about:

Q: Cooper and Javarris James seemed close on several of their carries to breaking even longer runs.

Shannon: That's the thing I tell those guys. Graig and Javarris, even Derron Thomas – when he got in the game he made players miss. We've got the players to do it. This offense did a great job of not getting the big, big major penalties. The (holding) with Orlando Franklin was bad, but then he came back and he's the one that threw the key block to spring Cooper the next play (for a 56-yard gain). So that's the thing. We have to get the ball in their hands and make guys miss. When they're playing off Lance Leggett, give it to him. Seven or eight yards, now it's second down and three. Eventually Lance is going to make somebody miss, and there's nobody else behind that cornerback. Those are things we're going to try to take advantage of all the time. Sometimes it'll be a two-yard gain, but it's not a negative play. We don't (want to) take negative plays.

Q: Lance almost split the DBs and stayed on his feet on some of those quick throws.

Shannon: We used to do those things with Santana and Reggie. Those guys get one shot, make a guy miss and it's a touchdown. Sometimes it doesn't have to be the deep ball downfield that's a great pass. One thing, we were two for eight on third down. I thought we were in more third down situations. But third down was mostly five (yards) and less, which is a good thing.

Q: People say, "Well, it was only Marshall."

Shannon: You know what? Marshall will always have a good team. They've got the quarterback, but that other quarterback isn't bad either. They've got some skill guys. Their freshman running back isn't bad. Once they get momentum going they use the tight end well. The skill guys with the ball in their hands, they'll give people problems. Everyone thinks Marshall is Marshall, but when Byron Leftwich was there they were putting up points.

Q: Were you surprised at the Michigan upset?

Shannon: I'll never be surprised when upsets come. I'm not surprised at all. It always happens every year. Someone's always going to lose early to an opponent they're not supposed to lose to.

Q: Did you watch the Oklahoma game last night?

Shannon: We'll get the film in, break it down, evaluate it. We have last year's games. This year's game after the first or second quarter the game was over. You can't really look at the entire game and get tendencies off it, because the game's over early and now coaches screw around with tendencies for the second, third, fourth quarter, do different plays to make you work on something they may not run. You have to get the good quality games in. Everybody has their trend on what they do. The best thing about playing Oklahoma is that the coordinators are still the same, both offensively and defensively. So we'll have an idea of what they do. And we'll have a good game plan.

Q: Oklahoma passed for over 400 yards in the opener. And your pass defense was a concern against Marshall.

Shannon: It wasn't a concern. We gave up two or three busts, which was communication problems. That's not a concern.

Q: Oklahoma was throwing the ball a lot.

Shannon: Oklahoma will run the ball. Coach (Bob) Stoops does a good job in run-pass. They're going to run the ball, do some play-action to get deep balls on us. That's what they do best, and every coach knows in America the only way you can win is if you establish the run game, do a lot of play-action passes to get big plays and keep defenses off balance.

Q: You told the team after the game they had five minutes to enjoy the win?

Shannon: I don't even know about five. It might have been shorter than that, about three or two.

Q: How hard was it for you to adhere to that five minutes, because it was your first win as head coach.

Shannon: When (players) gave me the game ball after the game I gave it to (trainer) Bobby Revilla as soon as I walked into the locker room. The game's over. Game balls don't really make or break you. You have to get ready for the next opponent. You can't dwell on it. You can party all night, get Gatorade thrown on your head, have everyone in Miami pat you on the shoulder. But you know what? That isn't going to help you win the game next week against Oklahoma. So we have to be prepared for it, get it out of our minds quick.

Q: So you don't want the kids celebrating at night after the game?

Shannon: I can't tell kids what not to do. But they know make sure you understand just don't let my phone ring at midnight and we have no problems.

09-03-2007, 01:32 AM         #2193
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Q: You were slapping hands with people before the game, were with the team over with the band afterward. When was the last time you enjoyed a win that much?

Shannon: Before the game, that was just old guys I coached, haven't seen in years. You have to understand, it's good to see those guys. There's guys I coached that have made careers with their lives, which is something I always feel good about. I get enjoyment out of that. Football games, they're great, but when you see those guys come back and support you, even older guys from before my time, it's just good to see those guys still supporting the University and being part of the program.

Q: It wasn't an extra special win for you personally?

Shannon: Just a normal win. That's all it is. Everyone thinks the year we won the national championship was a great time. I came on the field, talked to Don Bailey, somebody else, went in the locker room, showered and that was it. That's how life is with me right now. I don't get too emotional about life.

Q: How big a concern were the dropped passes?

Shannon: It's a concern. Third and three to four, you make that catch, the ball is still moving. But I'm not concerned about it. I think those guys pressed themselves too hard. Darnell Jenkins and Lance, those guys have been making plays all through camp. They were open, probably just were shocked they were so open because they've been going against our defense for a long period of time. Darnell dropped a ball, had his head down. I said, `Darnell, you've got another three quarters to go. Let it go. When you get another opportunity just catch the ball.' They put pressure on themselves for no reason. They're entitled to make a mistake. That's just a part of football.

Q: What were your thoughts on the crowd?

Shannon: It was a noon game. We had 39,000 at a noon game. We can't even get 39,000 at a night game sometimes. The student section was 5,000. That's more than half of the students on campus. And then we got the fans to come out and support the University for a noon game. That usually doesn't happen. I think that's the start of something special, something new. I keep saying if the fans can support us and have the momentum like they had in the stadium yesterday the way it was going, it'll be a great time. The fans were really into the game. It was fun. The players talked about it after the game. It was great.

Q: How did Demarcus VanDyke and Dwayne Hendricks do?

Shannon: They really, really did well. Van Dyke really stepped up. He didn't go out and play like a nervous freshman. He moved around, played well, played fast, did a lot of good things. I'm pleased with him, but he's got to get better every week. That's one thing we have to do as coaches. Like typical freshmen, they think they had a great game and the next week slack off with their work ethic. I'll ride Van Dyke hard, and coach (Tim) Walton and (Wesley) McGriff will ride him hard because that's the one thing about young guys – they always take the good and just run with it, don't let it go. Dwayne in the past played 15, 20 plays a game. Now he stepped it up, played maybe 40. So that was even better for him. And Antonio Dixon came in and did a good job. We had a little rotation going, rotated four defensive ends in pass rush situations. It was good.

Q: It'll be a shock for young players going to Norman, Okla.

Shannon: It won't be a shock. You have to think about it. Some of these kids are from Texas. They've played in big games before in Dallas, Tex., 30,000 or 40,000 fans screaming in rival games. Kids from Northwestern, there's always been big games. Just because it's Oklahoma and there'll be 80,000 or 105,000 - those fans won't make any difference between those yard lines. They won't.

Q: Will you prepare them for crowd noise?

Shannon: I don't even worry about it.

Q: Last year the team was 1-4 on the road. Do you worry about any carryover to this year?

Shannon: No. Last year was last year. If you watched them yesterday they were still flying around and having fun out on the field. I mentioned this, that I really thought the offensive line was going to be key to what we're doing. You look how they blocked yesterday. They didn't slack off, kept pounding it, running, moving. That's the thing that people have to understand about us. We're a different team. Those guys are going to go out and play and know they're going to substitute, but when the opportunity comes I'm going to help this team win and don't worry about if you're in our out. Just go out and play and have fun.

Q: How did Tavares Gooden do at middle linebacker?

Shannon: He played well. Last year he asked to move to middle linebacker at one point in time because we had injuries. I said, `No, no, no, no.' This year in nickel situations we put him at middle linebacker the whole entire camp. We were nicked up at middle linebacker with injuries, and with him and Colin McCarthy playing the same position and Spencer Adkins came along well, the only guys we had left were Allen Bailey and Eric Houston. So we took the two best guys and split them – the older guy always moves. So he moved to middle linebacker. Next thing you knew he was a found guy. I asked him the difference. He said nothing, it's easy for him.

Q: How is this coaching staff doing?

Shannon: Coach (Patrick) Nix is the supervisor of offense. (Tim) Walton is the supervisor of defense. Joe Pannunzio is the supervisor of the special teams. Would you believe I help coach Pannunzio? Whatever he wants to run, I help him even though I'm the head coach. One thing I love about this staff, there's no hidden agendas. Everybody just wants to win. It isn't about myself, me, my guys are doing this – it's all about the team. That's one thing with this coaching staff that's great. We're all in it together.

Q: When Javarris was asked about his touchdowns, he said he wished Cooper got them. You don't see that too often.

Shannon: No you don't. This is a special, special team this year. I wish well for them, I think we're going to do well. And it's a unique situation.

Q: So you like the foundation here as far as chemistry?

Shannon: Chemistry and everything we're trying to get done. Like going to the stadium we don't ride as offense and defense. We just mix up. We're riding to the bus, talking, and you start to feel the bond with that guy. When you keep it separate you can't build that bond. Kareem Brown called me last night around 10:30. I said, `How's it going Kareem?' He said, `Coach, I'm glad you all won, I'm proud. But coach, you told me once I leave college it's strictly business and I have no more friends.' He said, `Coach, I really don't have anybody I can a.ssociate with, because everybody's trying to get a job, trying to feed their families. And I miss college. I appreciate the times we had on defense. Make sure you get that whole team to understand now on enjoying each other instead of just offense and defense.' And when he called I felt better, because I know I'm doing the right thing when you have guys that can call that are at the next level and understand it.

Q: How was Matt Bosher's performance?

Shannon: It was fine. His one punt he tried to pooch, his first of the game, it went straight up and came back down on the 20. He was nervous. He kicked one down to the (three). That's going to happen with a guy first time doing it. He's nervous. He'll get better.

Q: How about Francesco Zampogna?

Shannon: He missed one and made one, so he's 50/50. He made his extra point. He's doing well.

Q: Do you see more completeness in Javarris James' game?

Shannon: He has to keep getting better every week. I was in the offensive huddle and he grabbed Cooper, said `When you see that guy come up make sure you protect, because if you don't protect we'll have problems.' I was happy about that.

Q: Any memories of playing Oklahoma when you were a player at UM? That was for the national championship.

Shannon: It was a good game, a chance to win a national championship. But that doesn't have anything to do with this Oklahoma game this week. That was my heyday. That has nothing to do with where these guys are now. I don't think half these guys were even born that I'm coaching right now.

Q: You're not nostalgic, are you.

Shannon: I don't even watch (the old UM games) when they come on TV. I like military pictures, though, watch them all the time.

Q: Is there anything that hasn't worked out the way you wanted it to?

Shannon: Not really. Those guys are really doing the things it takes to win. In this (team meeting) room and on this team, I'm the only one that's ever won a ring. I think those guys are trying to buy into what they want. And that is a ring. They want to win a national championship.
 09-03-2007, 12:26 PM         #2194
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
September 3, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Ramon Buchanon bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Melbourne (FL) Palm Bay LB and Cane commitment Ramon Buchanon says there's a simple reason he earned the nickname "Cookie."

"I guess I eat a lot of cookies," he said. "Some people said I was a cookie monster - that started in eighth grade. I still eat a lot of cookies. I like chocolate chip cookies - I eat any kind of them. I'll eat about 10 at a time."

And it was a sweet start to the season for the linebacker.

He had seven receptions for over 100 yards and a touchdown and also rushed for over 50 yards in a season-opening win. On defense he had over 10 tackles.

While Buchanon says he remains a UM commitment, he did attend the University of Florida's game unofficially over the weekend.

"I went to watch their game," he said. "It was alright. I went with my coaches and three of my friends."

How hard is UF recruiting him?

"Even harder (than before he committed to UM)," Buchanon said. "At the game coaches brought me to the side separately and were talking to me in the locker room.

"They told me they have the courses I want to major in (automotive engineering) and about the crowd, how they have the largest crowds."

Buchanon says he decided to go to the game because "My coaches were going there for a tailgate, one of my coaches is a booster and he asked if I wanted to come and I said `Sure.' Two of my coaches went."

Buchanon says he spoke with Cane coaches two days ago.

"Coach (Michael) Barrow was asking me what's going on, how my family's doing," Buchanon said. "That was the first time I talked to them in a while (because of the dead period). He asked me am I still going there, and I said `Yeah.'"

Buchanon says there's "Higher than a 90 percent chance" that he'll be a Cane in the end.

"The Hurricane coaches, they're real cool," he said. "And I have family down there, my grandparents, aunts and uncles, cousins, most everyone in the family."
 10 years ago '07        #2195
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18

can someone post this? thx
 09-03-2007, 07:02 PM         #2196
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ttime236 said:

can someone post this? thx

September 3, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Even though the Hurricanes aren't ranked while Oklahoma is in the nation's top 10, Sooners coach Bob Stoops said today that he certainly isn't taking anything for granted against UM this Saturday.

"We're looking forward to a challenge with Miami coming, a great game coming," he said. "(Miami's) a good, solid football team this year. If you watch them, as always you see physical good looking players that play hard, a lot of speed and they're coached well. They're in position and play hard. That's what you usually see when you watch a good Miami team.

"These kind of games are exciting for all the fans in both programs for sure."

Oklahoma threw for over 400 yards in its opening 79-10 win over North Texas.

Miami, meanwhile, had some busts in the secondary in a win over Marshall.

Stoops was asked if he'll try to take advantage of the Cane defensive backs.

"They've got a good slid secondary, guys that make plays," Stoops said. "You have to be able to execute and run your routes correctly. Each week it's the same thing, trying to beat coverage."

This game could turn into a battle of redshirt freshmen running the ball with Graig Cooper for Miami and DeMarco Murray for Oklahoma.

"There's more and more players that are ready to play (early in college) because of how they're developed in high school, Stoops said. "The high school coaches do a great job, develop their bodies sooner, more lifting regimens, training regimens. Some of the guys come in with the bodies and physical ability to compete. I thin the high schools really do a great job even mentally of getting these guys prepared."

Stoops was asked if there's anything about Miami that keeps him up at night.

"I'm not much on staying up at night," he said. "I'm not a big worry guy. You respect how hard they play, their overall speed at all positions. Offensively those great running backs you see can break a play all the time. You see defensively great fronts, guys up front that really cause a lot of problems for you. It's just a solid team with a lot of good players. Randy (Shannon) will do an excellent job with them."

* UM has several young players that will be playing in their first hostile road environment.

Shannon has already said he doesn't see that as a big deal.

And Stoops agrees.

"They've got a tradition rich program, great players there," he said. "I don't see that as going to matter to them at all. They're going to come in here and play hard like they always do. I don't see where that's an issue. I feel the same way with our young freshmen we bring on the road – they get ready to play. If you have a strong program it doesn't matter where they're at."

* Of redshirt freshman Sam Bradford, who had a strong first game, Stoops said, "The scrimmages and all you appreciate what he's done. But until you get out in game-like conditions you don't really know. He handled the whole situation in a positive and good way. He did a great job of putting (the hype) aside and doing his job. He managed it all in a really positive way, managed his emotions well, threw the ball well, and that will give him confidence to just do his job. You don't have to be superman, just do what you're capable of doing and let the guys support you."

* Stoops was asked if he has any recollection of the past great Miami-Oklahoma battles.

"I do," he said. "I remember watching them back in the mid 80's. they were great teams, great players all over the place, great players. They were great games for sure. Both teams between the two of them there's not a lot of losses there."
 10 years ago '04        #2197
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,817 | Props total: 4073 4073
told yall FSU was overrated ...there was no reason for them to be ranked.
 10 years ago '04        #2198
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$12,965 | Props total: 2748 2748
i'm watchin the marshall game replay....damn colin mccarthy was all over the field, shuttin down everything
 10 years ago '04        #2199
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
Future looks bright for Canes

Randy Shannon's eight-month joyride as UM's coach meets its first potential speed bump Saturday at Oklahoma. But whatever happens, what Shannon and his staff have done to upgrade UM's talent isn't merely great -- it's historically great, one expert a.sserts.

''For a new coach, Randy Shannon has had the greatest impact in the shortest time in the past 25 years in coaching,'' said Tom Lemming, who has analyzed recruiting for 29 years. `` Urban Meyer had a top 10 recruiting class in his first year at Florida. That would be the only guy to compare him to. But Pete Carroll didn't do this at USC and Charlie Weis didn't at Notre Dame.

``Shannon is going to control South Florida. Florida and Florida State will have to look elsewhere. With Shannon's personality and ability to recruit, the recruits will stay loyal.''

For the '08 class, Lemming ranks UM behind only Notre Dame, ''but Miami could wind up No. 1.'' Of UM's 17 non-binding oral commitments, 11 are among ESPN's top 140 national prospects, led by Pompano Beach Blanche Ely defensive back Patrick Johnson (8th) and Miami Northwestern defensive tackle Marcus Fortson (28th).

Projecting recruits is obviously unscientific. But factoring in next year's oral commitments (if they follow through), this freshman class (which Shannon and staff solidified) and Larry Coker-regime holdovers, the long-term future suddenly looks bright, especially at:

Defensive back (five promising freshmen, led by DeMarcus Van Dyke, and blue-chipper Johnson presumably easing the potential loss of junior Kenny Phillips to the NFL); linebacker (sophomore Colin McCarthy and junior Spencer Adkins are emerging and UM has five oral commits, including four players ranked in ESPN's top 92 at any position), running back (QB Kirby Freeman on Tuesday already was calling the Javarris James/ Graig Cooper combo the nation's best) and receiver (analysts believe impact players should emerge from Leonard Hankerson, injured Jermaine McKenzie, and '08 oral commits Aldarius Johnson of Northwestern and Davon Johnson of Booker T. Washington).

Even if Freeman, a junior, remains average, there's long-term optimism at quarterback with Robert Marve and '08 oral commitments Jacory Harris (Northwestern) and Taylor Cook (Altair, Texas). ''Harris and Cook are big-time prospects,'' Lemming said. ``Taylor's more polished, but Jacory might be better suited for that offense.''

UM's also in contention for other top prospects, including two from Krop -- linebacker Etienne Sabino (UF and USC are among others in the mix) and cornerback Travis Howard.

''Shannon has set the stage for what could be an amazing six-year run of talent,'' Florida Football editor Corey Long said. ``He's upgraded speed and talent at every position -- receiver the most.''

• Freeman, who knows he must improve, said last year if his first target was covered, his first instinct was to run. ''Now I'm coming off the first, second, third reads'' before doing that.
 10 years ago '04        #2200
madness 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
A look back at UM's rivalry against Oklahoma
Randy Shannon, who was a UM player the last time the Canes played Oklahoma, knows history will mean little when the teams meet Saturday.

The day was Sept. 27, 1986, and Oklahoma football coach Barry Switzer was through with the Miami Hurricanes -- or so he thought.

''I never want to play them again,'' Switzer grumbled following Miami's 28-16 regular-season victory in the Orange Bowl.

Turns out Switzer would not only play Miami again, he would relinquish his No. 1 ranking and the national championship to the second-ranked Canes on Jan. 1, 1988, in the Orange Bowl.

Oklahoma went 33-3 during the 1985, '86 and '87 seasons. Its only losses: to Miami.

As Miami (1-0) prepares to meet the No. 5 Sooners (1-0) in Oklahoma on Saturday for the first time since its championship victory, everybody but UM coach Randy Shannon is talking Hurricanes-Sooners. Shannon started at strong-side linebacker when UM won its second national title 20-14 that New Year's Night in 1988, but he refuses to look back.

''I love those guys, but I've got to let them times go,'' Shannon said Tuesday. ``We've got to worry about this football team. It's a new generation, a new start, fresh faces. It ain't Barry Switzer. It ain't Jimmy Johnson. It's Randy Shannon and it's Bob Stoops. It ain't Troy Aikman and Jamelle Holieway. It ain't Steve Walsh and Vinny [Testaverde]. I mean, it's two different guys. So, that's the thing we've got to concentrate on.

``I don't mean no disrespect for what happened in the past, but this is an ABC game, nationally televised. We should get nationwide coverage and that's the thing that's special that everyone needs to be talking about. It's an opportunity for everybody in America to see two great teams play Saturday.''

Most don't disagree. But they're still talking the mid-1980s while they await the 2007 kickoff.

Jimmy Johnson -- UM coach for those three consecutive victories against OU (after OU won in 1973 and '75) -- said he and Switzer, who are NFL studio analysts for Fox Sports, ``are planning a little segment Sunday called Grouchy Old Coaches.

''[Terry] Bradshaw is going to moderate it, and we'll go back and forth,'' Johnson said. ``We still laugh about those games.''

`SCARED TO death'

Johnson said he was ''scared to death,'' the first time he played Oklahoma in 1985, ``because I had a history of coming up on the short end at Oklahoma State.''

But after the first two victories, Johnson said he knew UM would win at home against a ``one-dimensional team.''

Even Melvin Bratton, UM's extraordinary fullback who tore the anterior cruciate ligament of his left knee late in UM's title game to end his collegiate career, can look back and smile.

''I blew out my knee but we won the national championship,'' Bratton said this week. 'Before the game, as one of the team captains, I remember saying, `If I have to give up a part of my body to win this game tonight, I'm willing to do so.' I didn't mean it literally. But that's how much I wanted to win.

'When Dr. [John] Uribe came across the field, picked up my knee, shook it and told the trainer, `It's gone,' I started crying. But I went in the locker room, changed, got crutches, came back on the sideline and cheered the guys. Between the adrenaline and the pain medication, I was pretty jovial -- sad, too.''

Oklahoma came into the 1988 Orange Bowl game with the No. 1 offense in the country, averaging 43.5 points, 499.7 total yards and 428.8 rushing yards with its wishbone attack.

Against the UM defense, the Sooners rushed for 179 yards, passed for 76 and scored 14 points. Maybe they were spooked by defensive end Dan Stubbs, who stood near the Oklahoma bench during pregame stretching, and told Oklahoma kicker R.D. Lashar, ``We're going to kick your [behind].''

When an unidentified Oklahoma trainer taunted Stubbs back, telling The Miami Herald, ''I told him his momma dressed him funny. I told him he was illiterate, too,'' Stubbs rushed the trainer and shoved him in the chest. ''I'll mess you up,'' Stubbs yelled.

`NO LOVE LOST'

Tolbert Bain, a starting cornerback, said he and Johnson pulled Stubbs away.

''No love lost there,'' Bain said this week. ``They hadn't beaten us the two previous years and we weren't going to lose another national championship with Coach Johnson.

``The atmosphere of the Orange Bowl that night was very electric.''

While the defense rolled, the UM offense was having a pretty good night of its own, quarterback Steve Walsh recalled. ''We were not intimidated whatsoever,'' said Walsh, who completed 18 of 30 passes for 209 yards, including touchdowns to Bratton and Michael Irvin, and one interception. ``For the most part we were able to control the ball at will.

``As stressful as the season was, with the wear and tear your body takes, to be able to walk off the field being the best, there's not another feeling like that in the world.''

Can UM, 10 ˝-point underdogs, win four in a row? The old Canes, naturally, say yes.

''The University of Miami is not North Texas,'' said Bain of the team the Sooners beat 79-10 last weekend. ``Randy will have them prepared.''
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Rap God Back: Official Eminem "Revival" Anticipation and Discusion thre..
421 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Hoops hottie's sexy basketball videos are a total slam dunk
51 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Columbian teacher arrested for forcing students to have sex with her
150 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside Shots Fired: Blizzard's New Commercial Decimates EA & The Pay To Win Cu..
45 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ohhhh sh-t is this it fellas. Eminem "Revival" Tracklist!!!!!
69 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snoops reaction when Jay Z wrote “Still Dre”😎
204 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BX ever smashed any of these popular INSTAGRAM chicks?
186 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nov 15 - Terry Crews names his molester live
84 comments
21 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy