70 of the Most Useful Sites on the Interweb + Other Maybe Useful Sites
155 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 21 Savage Responds To 22 Savage
130 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside This J. Cole "4 Your Eyez Only" Fan Theory Is Going To Blow Your Mind
98 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Picture of the day: Bill Nye The Science Guy, YG, Dj Mustard, Belly
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 08-25-2007, 07:24 PM         #2161
-Scar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wish I knew how cuz I'd hate to ask for my other teams right after you did that for me...

if you get a chance cool if not much appreciated anyway
 08-25-2007, 07:31 PM         #2162
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lemme guess

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

08-25-2007, 07:41 PM         #2163
-Scar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

you already know......
 08-25-2007, 08:05 PM         #2164
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
MY NFL TEAM = CHARGERS!

Nice job Ra
 08-25-2007, 08:08 PM         #2165
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 23, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

With the season set to kick off in nine days,Richard Gordon and Ryan Hill told CaneSport today that they will be the opening kick returners.

"It's going to be fun," Hill said. "I'm just trying to figure out who they're going to kick it to – either way we feel we're a threat. If Richard gets it ... we'll try to make big plays with either one of us. We're definitely looking for big things in the return area."

Hill's agility make him a good match as a returner – he ran the third-fastest short shuttle time on the team in post-spring testing with a 4.09-second time. He tested at 4.56 seconds in the 40 and has excellent leg strength and explosiveness with a 405-pound squat and 279-pound power clean.

"To be honest, I haven't done much returning – didn't do it in high school," Hill said. "I guess it's something that comes natural to me. I love having the ball in my hands. That's why I also love slot receiver, because it gives me a chance to do a lot of things. I just have a little knack for it, I guess."

Gordon doesn't fit the mold of a traditional returner. He's 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds, the opposite of the diminutive Hill.

Asked his style of returning kicks, Gordon says, "Stiff arm, run them over, break tackles."

Gordon certainly fits the mold of a returner with 4.51-second speed, a 4.28-second short shuttle time, a 500-pound bench, 301-pound power clean and 35.5-inch vertical.

"I'm not too much of a guy who runs and looks where I'm going to cut it up at," Gordon said. "Basically I run and then when a hole opens up I hit it. I'm just running full speed.

He returned kickoffs in prep school and took two back for score.

And he almost took one for an 80-yard return in the team's most recent scrimmage - referees ruled he stepped out of bounds as he was racing up the sideline and into the end zone.

"I broke one tackle at the 30- yard line, stiff-armed him and outran everyone else," Gordon said. "I ran past everybody, but was so close to the sideline that they said I was out. I didn't see it, though."

As strange as it might have seemed just a month ago, Gordon may be the first Hurricane to touch the ball in a game this season.

"I'm looking forward to making big plays," Gordon said. "I have the best blockers. Coaches say to keep making big plays. They're depending on me to do well out there."

* Players said the punt returner job remains open. Graig Cooper has struggled handling the ball at times in practices, and coaches are also looking at Chavez Grant, Shawnbrey McNeal and Demarcus VanDyke there. Cooper and VanDyke have also gotten work at kick returner.
 08-25-2007, 08:08 PM         #2166
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

August 23, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Throughout the fall Derrick Morse and A.J. Trump have gotten the notoriety, with one or the other predicted to be the team's likely starting center for Game 1.

But there's an overlooked player who is getting just as many first team reps as either of those players.

And he says "I'd like to say I have a real good chance (to start)."

Meet the forgotten man, John Rochford.

The 6-foot-2, 273-pounder from Linwood, N.J., was never a part of the offensive line plan until now.

After redshirting in 2003 he spent the next two years as a snapper. Last year coaches moved him to H-back, where he got some goal line work, and he continued to snap.

He figured he'd continue in that role this season.

But then along came Randy Shannon and Jeff Stoutland.

And now they have him believing. And playing at the top of his game.

Rochford says he split first team reps with Trump today in practice - the first against a scout team.

"I'm excited about that, feel very confident in there and just want to do whatever I can to help the team," Rochford said. "I think we're going to use a lot of guys on the line this year, it won't just be five guys in there. You're going to get a lot of fresh bodies in there, which is going to be good for our team. We've got some good depth this year."

What is different about Rochford this year?

"A lot," he said. "Just knowing this is my last year, I was very highly motivated coming into the spring with these new coaches. I just felt some camaraderie with them, a real connection with them. I felt they had faith in me, especially in the spring. So I just took that into the summer and just worked real hard. It carried over on the field and I've been playing well ever since. I hope I can keep it up throughout the season.

"When I got an opportunity in the spring to get some reps at center, that's when I started believing I can really make an impact, play at least and help the team."

The chance Rochford starts against Marshall?

"I've been getting a lot of reps with the first team - it hasn't been made official yet, that's a coaches decision," Rochford said. "And whatever decision they make, I know it's going to be best for the team. If I'm the second guy I'm going to prepare like I'm the first guy on the depth chart no matter where I'm at."
 08-25-2007, 08:09 PM         #2167
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 24, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

RANDY SHANNON Q&A FOLLOWING FRIDAY'S PRACTICE

Q: How was practice?

Shannon: We practiced hard today, a lot of special teams, but concentrated a little more on Marshall. It was a good practice. Tomorrow we have off and we'll start back up Sunday.

Q: Do they do any work on days off?

Shannon: Rehab (for injured players). Guys are going to come by and watch some film on their own, (so) you don't have to make things mandatory.

Q: How is John Rochford doing?

Shannon: Very good. He's doing good. He's practicing hard, is doing very good things for us on offense. Him, Derrick Morse, A.J. Trump, we've got some guys that are working there.

Q: Is he in the pack to start at center?

Shannon: Everybody's in the pack at center.

Q: On Tuesday you announce to the public your starting quarterback. The quarterbacks are not going to find out at that time right?

Shannon: No. I don't know when (they'll find out).

Q: How are you working the reps with Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman right now?

Shannon: Like we did the whole time in camp, the same thing (with both rotating in).

Q: When you name a starting quarterback, is that THE starter in your mind? Or is it something where if he falters the next guy comes in?

Shannon: Whoever your starting quarterback is you just have to go with. Just like anybody at defensive line, linebacker, running back – a starter's a starter. You go with them, have confidence in him getting it done.

Q: Might they both play in the Marshall game?

Shannon: We haven't talked about that yet. Me and coach (Patrick) Nix, the coaching staff, we'll sit down and talk about those things when the time comes.

Q: How is the running back situation with Charlie Jones out?

Shannon: We have a lot of running backs. Lee Chambers practiced today, the whole entire practice. So Lee's back. Shawnbrey McNeal is back. Derron Thomas, Graig Cooper and Javarris James, we have some depth there.

Q: Do you have a No. 1 punt returner?

Shannon: No, not really. We have guys working there. We'll make that decision when it comes.

Q: Will Glenn Sharpe be ready for Game 1?

Shannon: Don't know yet.

Q: How is Richard Gordon doing as a kick returner?

Shannon: Richard did it in high school and did it at prep school. He's running around and doing a lot of good things.

Q: Did you have people keeping an eye on the parking garage for the spy today? Did that concern you?

Shannon: I don't worry about things like that. It is what it is. If somebody wants to watch practice, they can watch practice. I mean, you can't worry yourself about those type of things. We just try to do our best with the security, and if it doesn't work, hey, it doesn't work.
 08-25-2007, 08:09 PM         #2168
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

August 24, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

OL Derrick Morse says he wouldn't be shocked if he's listed as the first team center on Tuesday when the depth chart is released. But that seems unlikely as he says he's primarily only played right guard in recent practices.

"They've been keeping me at right guard for a while now," he said. "It's a new offense, so I've been put there and I'm mostly concentrating on guard right now. But you never know what's going to happen – I'm still getting some reps at center, too."

Morse says he doesn't "feel as comfortable" playing center as he does at guard.

And he says John Rochford and A.J. Trump are "doing a great job at center."

"That's good, because I can focus more on guard," Morse said. "They've really stepped it up and done a great job. It's good."

* Players said the offense had an outstanding practice today. The offense was working on blitz pickups and doing mostly passing drills in scout team work.

Big plays in the passing game came from Sam Shields, Khalil Jones and Kayne Farquharson.

* Players are going back and forth between scout team and first and second team, so nobody knows who will be redshirted yet.

Kayne Farquharson and Leonard Hankerson were sharing duty with the regular players and scout team today.

* Walkon PK Francesco Zampogna says he still sees himself being in the race to start. He's getting reps in practices along with Daren Daly and Matt Bosher - Bosher is anticipated to serve as the punter.

"I'm doing well," Zampogna said. "It's a competition."

Zampogna said he was surprised he received a sixth year because he applied to the NCAA in April.

"I decided to do it on my own, had serious injuries my freshman and sophomore year," he said. "It was a little late to file for it, but it worked out."

Zampogna also said all three players also continue to work in on kickoffs.

* Defensive linemen Josh Holmes and Dwayne Hendricks were held out today. Sophomore linebacker Colin McCarthy, defensive end Steven Wesley and center A.J. Trump all practiced.

* RB Derron Thomas had this to say about freshmen RBs Shawnbrey McNeal and Lee Chambers: "They look real good. They're young, so it was hard on them when they came in. But they're working real hard. They're going to both be good running backs. They're quick, shifty. Shawnbrey is the speedster. They're going to be good."

* The team does not practice tomorrow.
 08-25-2007, 08:09 PM         #2169
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 25, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

As the anxiety ramps up in the minds of Hurricane fans awaiting Tuesday's announcement on UM's starting quarterback, the parents of Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman are taking different approaches.

The Wright family, obviously the most anxious since Kyle is a senior, declined to share their thoughts on the impending decision that could have major implications on their son's future.

"We don't have a comment about it at all," Kyle's mother said.

But Freeman's parents, Steve and Jani, were happy to discuss their feelings.

Steve, who is a long-time high school coach in Brownwood, Tex., says he can relate to what coach Randy Shannon is going through in trying to choose the right quarterback.

"I've been on the coaching end, the decision end of it," Steve said. "The bottom line is I understand every phase of this situation."

While Steve can be objective about the football side of the decision,he knows whose name he wants to hear come out of Shannon's mouth.

"Kirby's my son - I'm pulling for the boy, have been pulling for him since the day he came out of that delivery room," Steve said. "If it doesn't go that way (with him starting), my whole deal is this: I'm pulling for the Miami Hurricanes."

Jani, whose father was a football coach, says she's "not overly anxious like a lot of mothers might be."

She adds, "If I were going to be anxious about this, I wouldn't have sent him to Miami. I feel like the coaches are going to put the best player on the field. We're trying to be very supportive of the team, that is what we're trying to do. You've got to have that, because if you don't it won't work, period. I did the same thing last year, the year before."

The Freemans say they get asked all the time if Kirby will be named the starter.

Their answer is always the same: They have no idea.

For one thing, the quarterbacks have no idea yet who will get the nod. And, besides, mom and dad only talk to Kirby once or twice a week this time of year.

"He goes to practice or school early, gets home at 9 p.m.," Jani says.

When she does talk with him, Jani says she tries to avoid football discussions.

"That's what everyone wants to talk to him about," she said. "I talk about his classes, his everyday life. Everybody talks about football, and he gets sick and tired of answering questions. The way I look at it is if he wants to talk about it he'll bring it up. It's `Let's talk about this new professor.' There's a lot of great, great people in Kirby's life other than the football end of it. Sometimes you need to step out of that box. As his mom I want to be one that he can step out of that box with."

But it will be all about the football box Tuesday morning, a.ssuming Shannon doesn't inform the quarterbacks of the decision at some point before Tuesday morning. Jani says she won't exactly be hanging around waiting for the phone to ring. A health insurance worker, she's spending Tuesday morning signing up 525 school employees.

But when that phone call comes, she does say she'll take a quick break.

"I'll tell whoever, `Do you mind if I take this call, we're kind of on edge with Kirb,'" she said. "It's a small community, but I can't stop my life because of this decision that's being made."

Steve will be in his office at 5 a.m. on Tuesday preparing scripts for the day's practice.

He'll be busy with school and football the rest of the day.

He says he's not overly anxious about hearing who the starter will be, in part because he says he knows Kirby has tried his best.

"That's all you can ask," Steve said. "As far as us sitting around waiting on an announcement to be made, that is not the case. We know this: Kirby has tried as hard as he can try, and we know that he has two years left with the Hurricanes. I want it to be a deal that, when he leaves there, that he was able to accomplish all the things he went there to accomplish. The Hurricanes were in the mix in the big scene at that time (Kirby signed). That's one of the big things that I really, really hope is accomplished out there on a team basis, get to experience back into the BCS and into that national game."

One thing neither Freeman parent wants to see is second-guessing by fans regardless of the starter Shannon names.

"When someone might question who is on the field, not on the field, last time I checked most of our occupations are based on wins and losses," Steve said. "As good a fans as we have and Miami has and probably real knowledgeable fans, there's probably a good chance that the people that are on the (practice) field – the coaches – know who is most productive.

"I never figured out why some people say a kid should or shouldn't be on the field – coaches know. We're in a hotbed of high school football in Texas. Everyone doesn't always agree with what I do. But I'm not out there to create controversy. I'm out there to create the best team. It takes a lot of pieces to the puzzle. I don't go to the Chevrolet dealer and say `Here's the floor plan you should use, this guy should be your lead salesman.' My point is coaches are coaching because they have a passion for the game, have passion for the kids playing the game and they have a passion for the school. And, in the end, they're going to try to do all the right things to make it be successful, I promise you."

If Freeman is named the starter, Steve says he'd be "elated."

"I'd look forward to his abilities to begin playing and building on momentum in a protective mode," Freeman said. "He hasn't had the luxury of any mulligans (in the past). He was the backup guy, went in a couple of years ago, but everything he's done for two years is in a protective sense. There's a difference being able to play on your momentum and your team's momentum vs. playing in a protective mode knowing there is no mulligan. You botch it in a practice, black mark. Do it again in practice, black mark. Do it in a game and you get pulled.

"If he is named, then his ability now is to begin performing relaxed a little bit ... let him work off that momentum."

Mom adds, "He's a guy that, put him in the heat of the battle and he loves to step up to the plate, bring it on."

Jani says she's endured people asking her why Kirby wasn't playing in the past couple of years.

"I've had a lot of parents ask me `Aren't you furious, why don't they put Kirby in?'" Jani said. "What good is it going to do for me to tell Kirby I'm mad at the coach? Will that help Kirby? It won't do any good. I'm going to support whoever's there, support Kirby and that's just the end of it.

"I'm not at practice every day. Were there times I thought he should have been given an opportunity the last two years? Absolutely. But, under circumstances of where you screw up (you'll get pulled), I guarantee you'll screw up. Either give a real opportunity or don't."

So what happens if Wright is named the starter?

"We've been through that rodeo before already," Steve said. "I know a year ago, that's kind of the way things evolved. But last time I checked (Kirby) finished things up pretty good. He waited and waited and waited last year and finally got his time. Things worked out fairly well."

* Regardless of who is named the starter, expect a lot of Brownwood locals at the Oklahoma game.

"We're six hours from Norman, Okla., and there'll be a pretty good entourage from Brownwood going there," Steve said.
 08-25-2007, 08:11 PM         #2170
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ra Comin Thru like usual..
 08-26-2007, 03:21 AM         #2171
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is the sig I really wanted to get everyone to rock.. But no animated Sigs..

[pic - click to view]

08-26-2007, 03:36 AM         #2172
Black_Deuce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Canes bi*ch!!!

I aint pass thru here in a minute
 08-26-2007, 03:46 AM         #2173
-Scar- 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yeah that animated one ain't bad.........
 9 years ago '04        #2174
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
August 26, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Time's almost up.

Coach Randy Shannon says he'll publicly name a starting quarterback on Tuesday. He has no choice anymore. After waiting through spring practice, summer workouts and now fall practice, the season is about to begin and somebody has to take the first snap.

It will be up to Kyle Wright or Kirby Freeman to prove this thought wrong, but conventional wisdom tells you that if one of them were capable of being a marquee quarterback that he would have risen to the top a long time ago. Truth is, this is probably Ryan Clement vs. Scott Covington all over again more than say Bernie Kosar vs. Vinnie Testaverde.

But with decision time looming, we take a look at the plusses and minuses of the two candidates.

KYLE WRIGHT

Pros: Wright is a veteran with 21 starts under his belt, the greatest edge he has over Freeman. He also has a stronger and more pinpoint arm. When healthy, he is a 4.6 40 guy, which is enough to get out of the pocket and do some things. He looks like a prototypical NFL quarterback. If all things were equal, you would want him to win the job.

Cons: Wright was injured for the last half of the past season and now has a gimpy knee. He likely won't have much escapability, at least early in the year, which is something he would probably need at Oklahoma in Game 2. Wright also took a step backward last season, throwing eight touchdowns with seven interceptions (he had 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions as a sophomore). Blame offensive coordinator Rich Olsen for some of that, but not all of it. It's not the kind of progress you like to see. His biggest problem is a tendency to focus in on one receiver too much and telegraph his passes. On his third offensive coordinator at UM, Wright has never found consistency and unquestionably is a victim of poor coaching under Dan Werner and Olsen/Todd Berry, who were unable to help him achieve his potential. Now Patrick Nix is in charge of the quarterbacks and is arming them with a new offense that has a lot of people excited. But Wright has never pulled away from Freeman, which in our opinion is something the senior needed to do to earn Shannon's endorsement. If you were Shannon and you had two even quarterbacks, who would you choose? The one who has one season of eligibility left or the one with two years left? We feel that this will work against Wright as much as any other factor when Shannon and Nix sit down to make their final decision.

Analysis: Going purely on experience, Wright is your man. But with a gimpy knee and in his final year, the CaneSport staff feels coaches could decide that the better option would be to go with the mobile Freeman. Playing the junior would build toward next year when Miami should be poised to make a new title run with its array of young talent. And, in addition, Wright didn't distance himself sufficiently this fall from his competitor. In a neck-and-neck race, coaches could decide to go with the faster guy who has an extra year of eligibility.

KIRBY FREEMAN

Pros: On paper, Freeman is a premier dual threat quarterback with incredible 4.4-second speed. He has a strong enough arm and he showed he can get the job done through the air in last year's bowl win against Nevada, throwing for 272 yards. He's enjoyed a strong fall camp and is at least neck-and-neck with Wright based on his August performance, from what insiders are saying.

Cons: Freeman's passes aren't always on target - he hit on just 54.6 percent of his passes last year - and he tends to take chances with his downfield throws. He also has shown a strong tendency to favor scrambling instead of sticking with the play and looking for his receivers - if his first read is covered. That isn't necessarily condusive to building an offense under a new coodinator. Freeman must learn to move through his progressions and not panic and commit too quickly to the run.

Analysis: Freeman is far from a perfect quarterback. He has shown a tendency to throw the football up for grabs and doesn't always protect it like he should when scrambling to make plays. With him as a starter, Miami was life and death to beat Nevada in a bowl game and only went 2-2 at the end of last season. But Freeman's elusiveness could also mean coming up with the big play that the Canes have missed in recent years. UM coaches must weigh his propensity for turnovers against his big-play ability. The conservative approach would be to name Wright the starter.
 9 years ago '04        #2175
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
August 26, 2007

Randy Rodgers, special to Rivals.com
Rivals.com Football Recruiting

In "The Breakdown," veteran talent scout Randy Rodgers is analyzing film of a select group of the nation's top prospects for Rivals.com. Rodgers has more than 35 years of experience in the college recruiting arena. He was the recruiting coordinator at the University of Illinois (1988-91) and the University of Texas (1992-97) and is one of the leading authorities on high school football talent analysis in the country. In this edition, Rodgers takes a defensive tackles.

Defensive Tackles
DeAngelo Tyson
6-2, 276, Statesboro (Ga.)
Tyson in action

Big and powerful. Uses his hands and arms very well. Understands leverage and does a really nice job of protecting his legs. Didn't really show a burst to the ball, but neutralizes blockers and stays alive. Gets a push on pass rush and can definitely collapse the pocket. Don't know his weight room numbers, but shows a lot of "field strength". Committed to the University of Georgia. Would expect him to be a four-year fixture.

Marcus Forston
6-2, 286, Miami (Fla.) Northwestern
Fortson in action

I REALLY liked his quickness off the snap. Thought he was the quickest and best reacting of all the players in this group. Plays end and tackle. Can get off blocks, shows excellent speed for big man. His functional speed has to be a lot better than his testing speed. He has the best combination of leverage and speed and can be used on both ends of DL stunts. I really liked his body angles when engaged. Can be a force in any scheme. Committed to Miami.

Jarvis Humphrey
6-2, 290, Cedar Hill (Texas)
Humphrey in action

Powerful, especially in lower body. Played all spots in defensive line, can pass rush from either inside or outside. Played hard, really punished ball carriers when he tackled. Can definitely get penetration, almost impossible to block if shaded. Once he gets part of the shoulder pad, the play is over and he is loose. I liked the way he used his power to get off blocks. Clearly the best interior prospect in Texas and committed to the University of Texas.
Garrett Goebel
6-5, 264, Lombard (Ill.) Montini
Goebel in action

I really liked Goebel's versatility. Plays DE, DT, and Nose. Had the best combination of height and speed. Has really long arms and very active hands. Has a nice swim move. Although I didn't see any chase plays on his highlight tapes, I thought he had really good feet and ran well. I don't see him as an "edge" player, but I do think he best suited to be a "five technique" and could play in either an even or odd scheme. Verbally committed to Ohio State.
Brandon Thompson
6-2, 291, Thomasville (Ga.)
Thompson in action

I really like DL's with "eligible numbers" and Thompson wore both #34 and #35 on his highlight tapes. That shows he is an "athlete". Very quick off the snap. Big lower body, has power, gets off blocks, very disruptive. I thought he had the best highlights in terms of big plays and the best acceleration to the ball in this group (despite what every body's listed 40 times were). I definitely see him as a nose, who could be entrusted to control both A gaps and leave linebackers freed up to pursue.
Stacey McGee
6-5, 255, Muskogee (Okla.)
McGee in action

Big and long. Has an elongated stance, which he will need to tighten up to play inside. May be best suited to be a "five technique". Needs to show more diversity. I thought he relied too much on "swipe and swim" techniques and needed to show more leverage in his play, especially when inside. However he definitely shows power when engaged. He would be a kid I would want to see more regular game tape on, rather than just highlights.
Masengo Kabongo
6-3, 279, Fairfield (Conn.) Fairfield College Prep
Kabongo in action

Definitely a power player. Shows good leverage on both sides of the ball. Appears to be very strong in lower body. Shows a lot of field strength when he tackles. Didn't see a burst to the ball, but he is a hustler and his team scheme would be wise to funnel plays inside, because I will bet he usually shows up at the ball.
Roderick Davis
6-2, 300, Aldine (Texas) Eisenhower
Davis in action

Another player with excellent power and lower body strength. He plays a lot of DE, which is probably the best use of team personnel, but doesn't have the speed to play outside in college. Does have very good quickness off the snap, plays with a very good pad level, and does a really nice job of keeping his feet moving while engaged. Verbally committed to Texas A&M
Templeton Hardy
6-4, 295, Sardis (Miss.) North Panola
Hardy in action

He definitely had the most plays in his video, but with the worst quality of tape. Good quickness, good penetrator. Seems to just run through blocks. Wasn't blocked very much when he slanted. Has long arms but couldn't a.ssess upper body strength, because he leads with shoulder pads rather than hands. Did make a lot of downfield plays in pursuit. Verbally committed to Mississippi State.

Last edited by Cap Peeler; 08-26-2007 at 09:44 AM..
 9 years ago '04        #2176
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
June 29, 2007

Randy Rodgers, special to Rivals.com

In "The Breakdown," veteran talent scout Randy Rodgers is analyzing film of a select group of the nation's top prospects for Rivals.com. Rodgers has more than 35 years of experience in the college recruiting arena. He was the recruiting coordinator at the University of Illinois (1988-91) and the University of Texas (1992-97) and is one of the leading authorities on high school football talent analysis in the country. In this edition, Rodgers takes a look at wide receivers.

Wide Receivers
Tavarres King
6-1, 169, WR, Mt. Airy (Ga.) Habersham Central
King in action

Appears skinny and wiry on tape, but has great open field skills. Really dangerous as a punt and kickoff return man. Has vision in open field, sets up blockers really well. Definitely a "catch and run" receiver, who is utilized best on short passes, screens, reverses, etc. Most dangerous after the catch.
Deion Walker
6-4, 186, WR, Christchurch (Va.)
Walker in action

Nice combination of size and speed. Athletic enough to play quarterback. Has really good deep speed. Outstanding concentration on deep balls, and really good sideline awareness. Soft hands. A lot bigger than most of the players on the field. This competition appears to be small school, but he passes the litmus test of dominating the competition.
Chris Tolliver
6-1, 180, WR, Rayville (La.)
Tolliver in action

Really, really fast and really, really dangerous. Can go deep, but best used as a short to medium range receiver where he can run after the catch. So much faster than competition. Excellent change of direction skills, can make tacklers miss, likes to reverse field. Can really blow by DBs and has separation speed when he needs it. Averaged almost 20 yards per catch. Outstanding as a kickoff returner—has a nice sense of hitting the crease at full speed.
Jameel Owens
6-3, 210, WR, Muskogee (Okla.)
Owens in action

What impressed me most was how "smooth" he was. Doesn't appear as fast as listed, but he runs away from tacklers. Decent route runner and a strong runner after the catch. Is really a triple threat—can run, catch, and throw—and so he becomes a weapon for coaches that like trick plays. Can line up anywhere and be effective.
Julio Jones
6-4, 215, WR, Foley (Ala.)
Jones in action

Really outstanding feet for a big man. Gets out of trouble when hemmed in. Has acceleration and can run after the catch. Shows really good concentration on deep balls. Team can use him on reverses and short routes. Too big to collision, so he can't be pressed at the high school level. Hard to tackle in the open field.

Aldarius Johnson
6-2, 200, WR, Miami (Fla.) Northwestern
Johnson in action

One thing you can see is his speed. He creates separation because of opponent respect for speed. Catches with hands, gets feet down quickly after the catch and is ready to make a move and run. Would guess he could also be a good return man.

Michael Floyd
6-3, 195, WR, St. Paul (Minn.) Cretin Derham Hall
Floyd in action

Dominates the competition. Big target who is hard to tackle after the catch. Uses body well to shield defenders on both short and deep balls. Catches with hands, shows good concentration on deep balls over the head. Looks like a big running back after he catches the ball and actually plays that spot some. What I think separates him from others is his wide variety of inside routes—ability to run crossers, digs, curls, drags. He can be a standout as an inside or outside receiver.
D.J. Shoemate
6-0, 219, WR, Anaheim (Calif.) Servite
Shoemate in action

Listed as an athlete in the database, because he plays running back as much as wide receiver. Excellent speed, can make tacklers miss. Most dangerous after the catch, because he is a running back. Would be a terrific third down back, because he has some bulk, and really runs choices and wheel routes effectively. Impossible for HS linebackers to match up with. Committed to USC. Does a lot of the things that a former USC running back, now in NFL, can do.
A.J. Green
6-4, 185, WR, Summerville (S.C.)
Green in action

Really a special player. Can make all the plays. Big enough that he can't be pressed by HS corners. Outstanding deep speed to create respect, which leaves him open underneath. Big, soft hands. Has the ability to make tacklers miss. Physical player who is an outstanding defensive player, could be a big time safety, but has good enough feet to play corner at this level. Committed to Georgia—can't imagine him not playing right away.
Brice Butler
6-2, 178, WR, Norcross (Ga.)
Butler in action

Really smooth. Has tremendous body control, terrific sideline awareness, excellent jumper, who will win all the "jump balls." Outstanding in the red zone, because he is equally effective on posts, corners and fades because of size, jumping ability and body control. Physical runner with stiff arm, can make tacklers miss. Really does a nice job breaking routes off and would clearly be the go-to guy on all third and fourth down plays.
 9 years ago '04        #2177
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,799 | Props total: 1402 1402
 Cap Peeler said:
August 26, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Time's almost up.

Coach Randy Shannon says he'll publicly name a starting quarterback on Tuesday. He has no choice anymore. After waiting through spring practice, summer workouts and now fall practice, the season is about to begin and somebody has to take the first snap.

It will be up to Kyle Wright or Kirby Freeman to prove this thought wrong, but conventional wisdom tells you that if one of them were capable of being a marquee quarterback that he would have risen to the top a long time ago. Truth is, this is probably Ryan Clement vs. Scott Covington all over again more than say Bernie Kosar vs. Vinnie Testaverde.

But with decision time looming, we take a look at the plusses and minuses of the two candidates.

KYLE WRIGHT

Pros: Wright is a veteran with 21 starts under his belt, the greatest edge he has over Freeman. He also has a stronger and more pinpoint arm. When healthy, he is a 4.6 40 guy, which is enough to get out of the pocket and do some things. He looks like a prototypical NFL quarterback. If all things were equal, you would want him to win the job.

Cons: Wright was injured for the last half of the past season and now has a gimpy knee. He likely won't have much escapability, at least early in the year, which is something he would probably need at Oklahoma in Game 2. Wright also took a step backward last season, throwing eight touchdowns with seven interceptions (he had 18 touchdowns and 10 interceptions as a sophomore). Blame offensive coordinator Rich Olsen for some of that, but not all of it. It's not the kind of progress you like to see. His biggest problem is a tendency to focus in on one receiver too much and telegraph his passes. On his third offensive coordinator at UM, Wright has never found consistency and unquestionably is a victim of poor coaching under Dan Werner and Olsen/Todd Berry, who were unable to help him achieve his potential. Now Patrick Nix is in charge of the quarterbacks and is arming them with a new offense that has a lot of people excited. But Wright has never pulled away from Freeman, which in our opinion is something the senior needed to do to earn Shannon's endorsement. If you were Shannon and you had two even quarterbacks, who would you choose? The one who has one season of eligibility left or the one with two years left? We feel that this will work against Wright as much as any other factor when Shannon and Nix sit down to make their final decision.

Analysis: Going purely on experience, Wright is your man. But with a gimpy knee and in his final year, the CaneSport staff feels coaches could decide that the better option would be to go with the mobile Freeman. Playing the junior would build toward next year when Miami should be poised to make a new title run with its array of young talent. And, in addition, Wright didn't distance himself sufficiently this fall from his competitor. In a neck-and-neck race, coaches could decide to go with the faster guy who has an extra year of eligibility.

KIRBY FREEMAN

Pros: On paper, Freeman is a premier dual threat quarterback with incredible 4.4-second speed. He has a strong enough arm and he showed he can get the job done through the air in last year's bowl win against Nevada, throwing for 272 yards. He's enjoyed a strong fall camp and is at least neck-and-neck with Wright based on his August performance, from what insiders are saying.

Cons: Freeman's passes aren't always on target - he hit on just 54.6 percent of his passes last year - and he tends to take chances with his downfield throws. He also has shown a strong tendency to favor scrambling instead of sticking with the play and looking for his receivers - if his first read is covered. That isn't necessarily condusive to building an offense under a new coodinator. Freeman must learn to move through his progressions and not panic and commit too quickly to the run.

Analysis: Freeman is far from a perfect quarterback. He has shown a tendency to throw the football up for grabs and doesn't always protect it like he should when scrambling to make plays. With him as a starter, Miami was life and death to beat Nevada in a bowl game and only went 2-2 at the end of last season. But Freeman's elusiveness could also mean coming up with the big play that the Canes have missed in recent years. UM coaches must weigh his propensity for turnovers against his big-play ability. The conservative approach would be to name Wright the starter.

id be suprised at this point if it wasnt Kirby Freeman..
 08-26-2007, 06:59 PM         #2178
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 26, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Jordan Futch bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Hollywood Chaminade-Madonna LB and Cane commitment Jordan Futch gave Hurricane fans a scare when he went down with an apparent injury during his team's preseason game this weekend.

He had to be carried off the field and was later on crutches on the sidelines.

The good news for UM fans: He's fine.

"I had severe cramping to my legs, both legs," he said. "I'm good now."

Futch had seven tackles and a 40-yard reception before the injury.

Of why he returned to the sidelines on crutches later in the game, he said, "I couldn't walk at all. It was to the point they talked about taking me to the hospital. I didn't want to go, figured I would be fine. If I put too much pressure on, it would have started cramping, so crutches helped take the pressure off. I wanted to watch my boys play, go out and support them."

Futch was fully recovered in time to watch his fellow commitments in the Miami Northwestern game.

"There were a lot of (UM) players there," Futch said. "I sat with all of them – Richard Gordon, Lance Leggett, Darnell Jenkins, Demarcus Van Dyke, Kayne (Farquharson), Romeo Davis, Khalil Jones, Robert Marve, Randy Phillips.

"We were just watching the game, talking about the players. They talked about how they used to play high school ball, about that."

Futch asked Van Dyke a lot of questions.

"He said learn the playbook, that my chances are better of getting on the field if I learn the playbook early," Futch said. "He said when I take my official they'll show me around, that we'll have a good time."

Futch says he thinks Northwestern will go undefeated and win another state title.

"After the game we all went on the field, showed them that we're there and supporting them," Futch said. "We showed them all love. The defensive players (on Northwestern) were mad because they let them put up so many points on the board. Their philosophy was `No one puts 21 points up on us.'"

Futch spent a lot of time talking with Tommy Streeter and Benjamin Jones after the game.

"I think they'll all be at Miami," Futch said. "I think everybody that has a Miami offer that doesn't commit will feel left out, feel real bad next year."

Futch's opening game is this Friday against Glades Day High School.
 9 years ago '04        #2179
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
August 27, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

With fall drills wrapping up and a week left before the first game, the CaneSport.com staff takes a look at the fall's biggest surprises and hands out some awards:

CANESPORT'S PICK AS STARTING QUARTERBACK

On Tuesday coach Randy Shannon will name his starter.

And the CaneSport staff thinks he should name Kirby Freeman to start Game 1 over Kyle Wright.

The reason?

There are many, but perhaps the biggest is simply that Freeman has another year left at UM while this is Wright's final season. With both quarterbacks so close in fall drills, it makes sense to continue to develop the guy that can help you beyond one season.

It's apparent by now that neither quarterback is consistently great, but the fact that Wright as a fifth year senior couldn't clearly distance himself from Freeman this fall should put him on the bench.

And, behind a line that has been shuffled around all fall, Freeman's elusiveness is also a big plus. Wright's knee woes won't help him in the pocket either - it remains to be seen if he'd be 100 percent by game time.

THE TOP YARDAGE BACK

The question was posed recently by a local radio station: Will Javarris James rush for 1,000 yards this season? CaneSport's Matt Shodell answered no. And there's a reason for that. The reason? Graig Cooper. This freshman is no ordinary first-year player. His explosiveness and potential to break every carry for a long gain mean he likely won't only be sharing carries with James, but he'll also be a big weapon in the receiving game. He'll be moved all over the field to create mismatches, and the CaneSport staff believes he will have more total rushing and receiving yards than James this season. That's not a knock on James – it's simply a reflection of Cooper's extraordinary ability.

BREAKOUT CANDIDATE: OFFENSE

Certainly Graig Cooper is the top breakout candidate here. CaneSport's choice after Cooper? It's not Dajleon Farr, Orlando Franklin or Leonard Hankerson, who all show promise. The nod goes to tight end Richard Gordon. When's the last time you saw a 260-pounder returning kickoffs? Well, that's what coaches are planning on having Gordon do this season, and it's a sign of his incredible athletic ability. The guy runs a 4.5-second 40 and has a mid-30 inch vertical. He's a freak, and you better believe Randy Shannon wants him lining up at tight end as well. The biggest question with Gordon is his knowledge of the offense. After moving from defense this summer that is the biggest factor that will hamper his playing time. But look for him to make some big plays before the season is over on both offense and special teams.

BREAKOUT CANDIDATE: DEFENSE

It seems pretty obvious to most that have watched him in practices and his limited game work that Colin McCarthy will be something special. He's been nicked up in fall drills, but a.ssuming he can get back to close to 100 percent for the start of the season we expect big things from him. The name Dan Morgan has been whispered on Greentree Practice Field when insiders watch McCarthy play. He just needs to stay healthy and get on the field.

BIGGEST SURPRISE OF FALL CAMP

This honor goes to Demarcus VanDyke, who took advantage of injuries to Glenn Sharpe and Randy Phillips to get significant action with the first team. He is a lock to play right away and says he will be starting in Game 1. He's an excellent one-on-one technician.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT OF FALL CAMP

This dishonor goes to DT Antonio Dixon. He still isn't in as good shape as he needs to be to in order to play every down. And that's what the Canes needed from him entering the fall.

THE LEADING RECEIVER

While there's been a lot of chatter about how this could finally be Lance Leggett's breakout year and how Sam Shields is the fastest player on the team, we think Darnell Jenkins will emerge as the go-to threat in the passing offense. He is by far playing the best ball of his career, and he had a solid start last season before suffering a season-ending injury. Jenkins has been a touchdown machine in fall drills, and we expect that to continue into the season.

WILL CALAIS BREAK THE RECORD?

UM's sack record is 17, set by Daniel Stubbs in 1986. And Calais Campbell has said he will shatter that. Last year he had 10.5 sacks. And yes, he is a year older, a year stronger and a year wiser. But he also will have teams constantly game planning him and doesn't have Kareem Brown or Baraka Atkins to take pressure off him. Campbell has vastly improved his run defense skills this year, but while we do think he'll have double digit sacks we don't think he gets more than 15.

TEAM'S TOP TACKLER

Last year Jon Beason (92 tackles) and safety Brandon Meriweather (91) led the team in tackles. This year CaneSport's pick to take over the leading tackler role is middle linebacker Darryl Sharpton. Traditionally the middle linebacker gets the most action, and when the player at that position is consistently good the tackles stack up. We think Sharpton will be consistently good.

PREDICTION - FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE, SEASON

Sorry Daren Daly, Matt Bosher and Francesco Zampogna. We don't think you'll match Jon Peattie's inconsistent 63 percent number of last season. If Peattie, with his experience, couldn't get it done, how will a completely inexperienced group that has seen no one emerge head and shoulders above the other do? Not well. Our pick for field goal percentage, season: 58.

FINAL RECORD

Coming off last season and with a new head coach along with first-year offensive and defensive coordinators, a double-digit win season would have to be considered successful. Our pick for the team's final record: 10-3
 9 years ago '04        #2180
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
ugust 27, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Travis Benjamin bioVideo highlights

Talk about it in The Storm Center

On signing day a year ago the Canes appeared on the verge of landing stud WR Deonte Thompson, from Belle Glade (Fla.) (Fla.) Glades Central High School.

It didn't happen.

Thompson opted for the University of Florida at the last minute.

And this year UM was on the verge of a commitment from another Glades Central receiver, Travis Benjamin.

Benjamin had told the CaneSport.com staff over the summer that he was planning on becoming a Cane, at one point indicating he was only a day away from giving his word.

Then he pushed that back to an Aug. 22 date for announcing. But now that's been pushed back indefinitely.

The reason?

The Gators.

Benjamin says he's waiting to see if the University of Florida will offer. He says their coaches haven't indicated when a decision will be made on the offer.

"They have a good program football-wise, their football team is like a family, a bond," Benjamin said. "They probably will offer. (If they do) it's hard to tell what I'll do. I'll have to talk to my people."

Benjamin won't talk about why he was suddenly swayed from a potential UM commitment.

He says LSU and Ohio State are also in the race.

Benjamin is staying in touch with Cane coaches.

He says the last time he talked to WR coach Marques Mosely "we were talking about how the game plan will be, how other schools will be double guarding me and stuff. (Miami coaches) want me, tell me to to make a wise decision."

Benjamin's team is gearing up for its season-opener this Friday against Palm Beach Lakes.

He says he'll attend UM and UF games this season unofficially.
Home      

most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
204 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Would You Put A Ring On It Even After Her Past?
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 9 - Shocking New Poll Shows A Vast Majority Of Trump Voters Live I..
70 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
94 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Future ROY Ben Simmons blocks his Sexy ass Sister on Twitter
108 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pic of Every Artist Featured On J Cole's 4YourEyezOnly... Full Lyrics ..
107 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ronnie from Jersey Shore is dating someone from the Kardashians
30 comments
19 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Maliah can get it boy damn
52 comments
1 day ago