Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 2 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #2101
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
now we dont gotta pay $20 to those "abuelitas" selling their parking spaces on game day.......
 9 years ago '05        #2102
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
now we dont gotta pay $20 to those "abuelitas" selling their parking spaces on game day.......
true but i can just imagine how much itll be at dolphin stadium
 08-21-2007, 04:22 PM         #2103
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The real Heisman deal
By Terry Bowden, Yahoo! Sports
August 20, 2007

Terry Bowden
Yahoo! Sports
Every year at this time, we play the game of who will win the Heisman Trophy as the most outstanding player in college football.

We hold this award up in recognition of our sport's very best player, knowing good and well that this is just not so. The Heisman Trophy really is not about who is the best player in college football, but actually who is the right player at the right position on the right team.

That would most likely be the quarterback on the team that has the best chance to play for the national championship. Or it could be the running back on a BCS team who rushes for more yards than anyone else. There is a slight chance that it might even be a great wide receiver, who has a bunch of exciting 10-second video clips shown every week on television.

But it won't be a lock-down cornerback, or a dominating left tackle, or a bone-crushing middle linebacker. It won't necessarily be the best athlete on the field or the No. 1 player taken in the NFL draft.

It will be a guy such as John David b00ty of Southern Cal. That is, the starting quarterback on the team that is most likely to be ranked No. 1 at the end of the regular season. Under the unstated guidelines for selecting a Heisman Trophy winner, he is the perfect candidate. He is Troy Smith, Eric Crouch, Danny Wuerffel and Gino Torretta all rolled into one. (And please, this is not a knock on b00ty … he didn't make up the rules.)

ADVERTISEMENT

The Heisman Trophy winner will be just that. … The Heisman Trophy winner.

Now don't get me wrong. I love the Heisman Trophy as much as anybody. It is still the greatest individual award offered in the game and, as a former keynote speaker at the prestigious Heisman dinner event in New York City, let me say that it is great for college football. The list of award winners is a virtual who's who of the game's most famous personalities.

But if you're looking to find the definitive list of the most outstanding players in college football, they all won't be on the list of Heisman finalists. That is why I am going to give you my own special list of the top 10 candidates for college football's very best player. So, without further ado, here are my preseason predictions for what I call the "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" Heisman Trophy Award:

1. Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas – This guy is the best back to come out of college football since LaDainian Tomlinson in 2001. He is a big, powerful runner who can fly. If he had come out after last season, he would have been drafted ahead of Adrian Peterson. He can run over you, around you, or past you, and also has really soft hands. At times, he even lines up as the shotgun quarterback and has completed 7 of 9 passes for three touchdowns. He is the second running back in the SEC to rush for over 1,000 yards as a freshman (along with Herschel Walker) and after gaining 1,647 yards last season, he was second in the Heisman voting. If Arkansas can stay in the hunt for the SEC West title for most of the season, McFadden will remain the front-runner. And folks, I'm not just putting him No. 1 because he is a running back. He is the best of the best.

2. Jake Long, OL, Michigan – This guy is the elite offensive lineman in the country. At 6-foot-6, 320 pounds, he is big enough to pile drive any defensive lineman off the ball, and with his quick feet he can still pass protect with the best of them. Tailback Michael Hart made most of his 1,562 yards behind Long last season, and the Michigan passing tandem of Chad Henne to Mario Manningham also will benefit from Long's presence. He has lined up extensively at both right and left tackle and plays with a mean streak that makes him downright nasty to line up against. Long is the top-rated offensive tackle in the 2008 NFL draft and he will be the favorite for the Lombardi and Outland awards.

3. Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville – When you see this guy playing quarterback in the Big East, he looks like a man among boys. I'm not just talking about his physical size (6-4, 224) but his demeanor and presence as a leader and field general. He plays especially big in big games and shows Joe Montana-like poise under pressure. He is 18-3 as a starter and led Louisville to a 12-1 record last season, including a 24-13 victory over Wake Forest in the Orange Bowl, where he was named most valuable player. Louisville should be favored in every game this year, except perhaps at West Virginia, and if he can lead the Cardinals to a victory in Morgantown, he just might take his team to the national championship game.

4. Calais Campbell, DE, Miami – In 2006, North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams was selected No. 1 in the 2006 NFL draft, but Campbell is a better football player. At 6-8, 280, the Miami junior is clearly the "prettiest" player in the country. But don't think for a second that Campbell looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane. He is the best defensive player on the best defensive team, and with his speed and quickness he is nothing less than a sack machine. Calais has a very low stance for a player as tall as he is and with his quick first step and long arms, he is almost impossible to stop at the line of scrimmage. He will be the first defensive player taken in the 2008 NFL draft.
 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM         #2104
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
5. Steve Slaton, RB, West Virginia – I know I'm revealing my age, but Slaton reminds me of a young Tony Dorsett. Dorsett won the 1976 Heisman Trophy and redefined "great college running back" with his ability to "accelerate into a crack" and "split the seam." Anybody who remembers the great DOR-sett ripping apart a very good Notre Dame team for 303 rushing yards in 1975 knows what it means to compare a running back to Dorsett. "Touchdown Tony" was literally in a class by himself. Slaton now sits in the front row of that same classroom, and as Bum Phillips used to say, "they may not be the only backs in that class but it doesn't take very long to call roll." Last season, Slaton rushed for 1,744 yards and 16 touchdowns. He solidified his position as one of the great running backs in college football in the 2005 Sugar Bowl against Georgia, rushing for 204 yards in an upset victory and being named MVP. That performance remains a record for most rushing yards in a BCS bowl game.

6. Sam Baker, OL, Southern California – Another great offensive lineman who could work his way into becoming the game's best player. If not for offseason knee surgery, I might even have him rated above Michigan's man mountain Jake Long. Although all indications are that Baker is fully recovered, he had to remove some loose cartilage in his kneecap, I still want to see how he performs in his first few games. This will be his fourth year starting for the Trojans. Coach Pete Carroll brags on Baker's tenacity and savvy and also has high praise for his dedication and leadership. At 6-5, 305, Baker has shown the ability to fill that all-important left tackle spot, which in the NFL, remains the second-highest paid position after quarterback.

7. Glen Dorsey, DT, Louisiana State – Dorsey has all the physical tools to dominate on every single play. He is big, strong, fast and has exceptional athletic skills. But his greatest attributes are his intangibles. Dorsey plays with a non-stop motor on every snap – in every practice as well as every game. He is a great leader on and off the field. He is heavily involved in community service and espouses the theme "Dream Big" when addressing youngsters across the state of Louisiana. He is the bell cow of a defensive front that gave up only 97.1 yards rushing per game last season. With All-American Tyson Jackson playing next to him at defensive end, Dorsey will face fewer double teams than any defensive lineman of his caliber in the country. Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said that Dorsey is so hard to block that offenses must design their entire game plan around him. And, adds former LSU offensive coordinator, Jimbo Fisher, "He is the nicest kid on the team, too."

8. DeSean Jackson, WR, California – This diminutive 6-0, 170 wideout, who runs a 4.38 40-yard dash, is arguably the most exciting offensive player in college football. A junior, he will be one of the top NFL draft choices of 2008. Not only was Jackson the Pac-10's second-leading receiver in touchdown catches in 2006, but he also had four punt returns for touchdowns (five in his career). With the emergence in the pros of guys such as Devin Hester and Ted Ginn Jr., college coaches are understanding even more the importance of a player who can take it to the house in the kicking game as well as on offense.

9. Kenny Phillips, S, Miami – Like Ed Reed and Sean Taylor, Phillips is the next great Hurricanes safety. He is coming off a sensational sophomore season. During his first start as a true freshman against Clemson, he led the team in tackles with 13 and made the game-winning interception in the third overtime. He comes into 2007 as the No. 1 defensive playmaker in the country. Not only is he an exceptional pass defender with his quick reaction time and sub 4.5 40 speed, but he is also big and physical enough to come down into the box and play the run. His label as the quarterback of the Miami defense is bolstered by the fact that he is a 2006 ACC All-Academic team selection. Coach Randy Shannon says of Phillips that he has "the body of Sean Taylor and the knowledge and speed of Ed Reed." I say he might just be the best player in college football.

10. Matt Ryan QB, Boston College – Don't be surprised if Brian Brohm and Ryan go 1-2 in the NFL draft in 2008. But because Ryan matriculates in Chestnut Hill, and not a more high-profile football program, he will come into the season under the radar. But don't be surprised when he ends the 2007 season by shattering virtually every ACC passing record. Even though he suffered a sprained ankle in his opening game against Western Michigan and a broken foot in a victory over Virginia Tech on Oct. 12, Ryan put up some pretty impressive numbers in 2006. He led the ACC in total offense (242.2 yards per game) and passing yards per game (245.2) while leading BC to a 10-win season. Ryan's teammates call him "Matty Ice" because he is cool on the field, never losing his composure while staying in charge of the huddle and game plan. No quarterback in college football "manages" the game better than Ryan. He is a tough, gutsy competitor with a powerful arm and excellent mechanics who prefers to stand in the pocket rather than scramble around.

Terry Bowden is Yahoo! Sports' college football analyst. For more information about Terry, visit his official web site.
 08-21-2007, 04:26 PM         #2105
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Yea.. Well now everyone can tail gate at dolphin stadium.. Only Beef I got with the stadium is how far it is from the field.. And how much more I am going to have to pay to sit in my seats..
 9 years ago '04        #2107
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
Former Players and Coaches on the Move

Aug. 21, 2007

By: Hurricanesports.com

Michael Irvin (Courtesy: UM sports media relations)

The following former players and former coach Jimmy Johnson gave a statement on the move from the Orange Bowl to Dolphin Stadium.

"This is a real positive move. I understand there is some nostalgia at the Orange Bowl. But in the long run, there is a very big financial benefit to the university, and that's important. The fan experience will be so much better at Dolphin Stadium. The nostalgia for the Orange Bowl will last as long as it takes fans to get out of their cars in the parking lot, and then they sit in those nice seats and go to the concession stands and see that wonderful venue. Once that happens, the nostalgia will be history."
-- Jimmy Johnson

"Yes, we will miss the Orange Bowl. Tradition means that we had great success there. But we can't live in yesterday's success. We have to move forward to tomorrow's success. The truth of the matter is, it's business. If we want to continue to see the University of Miami do well and be able to compete, there's a business side to it. Yes, I love the Orange Bowl, but we need the suites and we need to make money so we can continue to bring in the best professionals to teach the student-athletes not only to prepare them on the football field but to prepare them for life. It's about a lot more than just football."
-- Michael Irvin

"When I played, we lost only five games from 1986 through 1990 and we never lost in the Orange Bowl, so I have fond memories of the Orange Bowl. It's a shame that more money could not be raised to keep the Canes there. I live in Dallas now, and it's the same thing with the Cotton Bowl - who wants to renovate an old stadium? You have to do what you have to do. Dolphin Stadium has great turf. It's an awesome stadium. UM has to do what's best for the kids."
-- Russell Maryland

"I played in both stadiums. As a player, the Orange Bowl is awesome when that place gets rocking. As a fan, obviously the Orange Bowl leaves a lot to be desired - everything about it. It's an old building. It doesn't have video replays and TVs like most college stadiums have now. But in time they can get the same energy at Dolphin Stadium."
-- Gino Torretta

"I hate to see us leave the Orange Bowl. But, when it comes down to it, a game has to be played and we have to go to Dolphin Stadium. All you're going to get is a different kind of atmosphere. It's a pro stadium. We have to go to Dolphin Stadium and make it our home, and the only way to make it our home is by kicking the behinds of the first team we play. Let them know this is our new home. Make sure they know it."
-- Santana Moss
 9 years ago '04        #2108
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
8/21 Practice Report

Today's practice was short after yesterday's scrimmage, but the action was crisp and there weren't too many mistakes on either side. Let me go straight into the tidbits...

- Kyle participated in some early drills but sat out the rest of the practice. He was standing with Carlos Armour and Chris Perry on the sideline watching, so I'm guessing his knee just needs some rest at this point. Adewale Ojomo, Randy Phillips, Demetri Stewart, Anthony Redd*ck, and Lee Chambers were running around and rehabbing. I did not see Glenn Sharpe or Daryl Sharpton.

- The starting offense was LT- Fox, LG- Bain, C- Rochford, RG- Morse, RT- A rotation of Rutledge and Youngblood, TE- Farr, WR- Leggett/Shields/Jenkins (slot), QB- Kirby and HB- JJ. Orlando Franklin and AJ Trump worked with the second team.

- The starting defense was DE- Moncur, DT- Hendricks, DT- Dixon, DE- Campbell, LB- McCarthy, LB- Gooden, CB- DVD, SS- Cooper, FS- Phillips, CB- Grant, NB- Wiggins. I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy and Gooden are the starting LBs in nickel even when Sharpton is 100%, as they are the two best coverage 'backers on the team.

- The only 11-on-11 work I saw was when the team ran their first team three wide offense against the first team nickel defense. The alignments never changed from shotgun slot and nickel, but the chains moved and the team drove as if it were a game situation.

Kirby impressed me with his composure and intelligence throughout the drive, as he avoided pressure, threw it away when necessary and repeatedly took what the defense gave him. He hit Shields and Leggett on sharp outs and curls and checked down to JJ when he had space to run. At the 15 yard line, Kirby threw a fade that Leggett went up and grabbed over DVD for a touchdown. KF has shown nice touch on the fade throughout August, especially to LL and Shields. After the TD, the offense did not go all the way back to their own 20, instead going back to the opposing 30. On the first play of the new drive, Kirby hit Shields in stride with touch past Chavez Grant and Kenny Phillips for a TD.

- It's tough to tell whether you're looking at the starting KO team or KR team, as many of those players overlap and they practice against each other. However, I'm pretty sure our current starting KO team is Chavez Grant, Darnell Jenkins, Willie Cooper, Richard Gordon, Allen Bailey, Spencer Adkins, Kylan Robinson, Tavares Gooden, Kylan Robinson, DVD and whichever kicker wins the job. Today the team was working on post-safety punt-offs, so the kicker was Matt Bosher.

- Kayne Farquharson beat Bruce Johnson and made a nice adjustment on a lob from #14 for a 25-yard gain. It was almost identical to their connection in yesterday's scrimmage. #14 (Byrne?) is our third string QB right now, and Kayne is starting to consistently make catches.

- Doug Wiggins did a good job as a nickelback today, as he has throughout camp. He had a nice PBU of a pass intended for Darnell Jenkins and got a big chest bump from Calais Campbell. Wiggins is very physical, and he looks to have good feet and ball skills.

The next practice is on Thursday.
 08-21-2007, 07:09 PM         #2109
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 21, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Wide receiver George Robinson was a sleeper recruit with a ton of upside coming out of Miami Central High School in 2006. But now he's no longer a Hurricane.

Robinson redshirted last year after suffering a torn ACL uring practice in October. He underwent surgery Oct. 10. He made a full recovery and was participating this fall but was buried on the depth chart.

"He decided not to come back," coach Randy Shannon said. "He went through spring, decided to take another opportunity - not school-wise as far as transferring - but another career with his life."

At Miami Central he played in a run-based offense and had 20 receptions for 379 yards and two touchdowns as a senior. He attended Miami Carol City High before transferring as a junior - his junior year he had touchdowns in both his team's playoff games.

* In other news from the field today, coach Randy Shannon said QB Kyle Wright is "fine."

"He practiced a little bit (today), is still aggravted a little bit," Shannon said. "If there was a game today, yeah he probably could have went if there was a game today."
 9 years ago '04        #2110
booie4 
space
space
$4,874 | Props total: 585 585
i heard G Robinson signed wit Slip n Slide records, anyone from miami know if its true
 9 years ago '04        #2111
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 booie4 said:
i heard G Robinson signed wit Slip n Slide records, anyone from miami know if its true

really ? ...i guess that would explain him leaving college....even though that would still be a dumb decision.

but truthfully i kinda feel bad for him..he's taking a lot of heat right now for quitting the team, when truthfully he shouldnt have never even been on it...he's not Miami Caliber...to put it nicely.

thanks Larry for another f*ck up
 9 years ago '04        #2112
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 C.R.I.P. said:
really ? ...i guess that would explain him leaving college....even though that would still be a dumb decision.

but truthfully i kinda feel bad for him..he's taking a lot of heat right now for quitting the team, when truthfully he shouldnt have never even been on it...he's not Miami Caliber...to put it nicely.

thanks Larry for another f*ck up
just one of a million reasons why that guy is out of a job, he couldnt evaluate talent if his life depended on it
 9 years ago '04        #2113
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
There are some interesting notes to be had from the Hurricanes' annual testing of their players' speed, strength and agility. Keep in mind that these measureables are not all-important. For example, there have been tons of speed receivers who lacked great hands, toughness, the ability to get off the line or read a defense. Conversely, there have been many star players who never tested well.

But I still find these tests interesting. I still think they give an indication of who has raw athletic ability. What they do with that ability, however, is the key. Here are some general observations:

*The Canes have great speed in the secondary but need a lot more at wide receiver. The team is DEEP at cornerback.
*This year's recruiting class did wonders for the Canes in terms of adding speed at running back, notably Lee Chambers and Graig Cooper.
*If anybody deserves the nickname "Freak" on this team it's probably 6-8, 280-pound defensive end Calais Campbell because of his size, leaping ability and overall talent. Or tight end Richard Gordon for his size and speed. Or linebacker Spencer Adkins for his power and quickness.
*If you had pick one player whose measurables don't match their stats it would have to be wide receiver Khalil Jones. But if Tavares Gooden doesn't win a starting job and have a productive year as a senior, add his name to the list.

Now some more individual observations:
QB - Kirby Freeman is faster than all his veteran running backs. Freeman's 4.4 is also faster than all but two of his receivers.
QB - Freshman Robert Marve is another excellent athlete, especially for a QB. He ran a 4.59.
RB - Freshman Graig Cooper is as fast as we thought he was with a 4.43 timing. He is also second on the team with a 38.5 vertical leap. A great athlete.
RB - Freshman Lee Chambers, much less heralded than Cooper, is the Canes' fastest RB with a 4.4. Chambers also has the best vertical leap on the team at 39 inches. And Chambers' 3.8 percent body fat was second-lowest on the team . I am eager to see what Chambers can do on the field.
RB - Javarris James, the Canes' leading rusher last year, did not crack the top 10 in the 40-yard dash. Nor did he make the shuttle or 10-yard dash top-10s. That means James is neither extremely fast or quick. But he obviously is tough and has good vision, smarts, instincts and cutting ability.
RB - Derron Thomas made the Canes' top 10 in the shuttle. His quickness is his calling card. The Canes need to get him more involved in the offense or special teams.
WR - Sam Shields is the team's fastest player with a blazing 4.26. He also tested very well in shorter bursts. But the Canes really have no other burner. The only other WRs in the Canes' top 10 are Khalil Jones and Kayne Farquharson.
WR - Khalil Jones, despite his excellent size (6-2, 215) and very good speed (4.43), has been a complete bust so far, making no impact as he heads into his junior year. He is also second on the team with a 38.5 vertical leap. Why he has yet to be productive is a mystery the Canes need to solve.
WR - Kayne Farquharson, a junior-college transfer, also has two years of eligibility left. His speed (4.46) is actually faster than advertised. He also has a ton of confidence. I am hopeful he can back it up when it counts.
WR - Sophomore Ryan Hill tied for third in the shuttle, which shows that while he may not have top speed in the 40, he is very quick.
WR - Freshman Leonard Hankerson (4.71) did not run well. He has great size (6-3, 200) and huge hands. He may have an NFL future if he shaves his 40 time significantly.
WR - Jermaine McKenzie is redshirting due to injury. While he is at it, he needs to improve his speed (4.68) and add weight to his frame (6-2, 170). Skill-wise, he has excellent ability.
TE - Richard Gordon is a scary dude. His 4.51 timing is 11th best on the team, ahead of numerous smaller players at receiver, defensive back and running back. Gordon, a 6-4, 260-pounder, is only a sophomore. Get him the ball!
TEs - Dajleon Farr and Chris Zellner are on the team's top 10 in the 10-yard sprint, showing they have short-burst quickness. Zellner is also the Canes' strongest TE in the bench press (370).
OG - Senior Andrew Bain is the Canes' strongest player in the bench press (445).
C - Freshman Harland Gunn, who may redshirt this season, is a beast in the weight room. He is the team's strongest freshman in terms of bench (390) and squat (525). When you include the veterans, his bench is already the team's third best.
DE - Calais Campbell is one of the nation's most incredible athletes. He is 6-8 and 280 pounds and has a 37-inch vertical leap. How exactly do you throw over him?
DE - Sophomore Courtney Harris, touted for his pass-rushing potential, is the team's quickest d-linemen with his top-10 timing in the 10-yard sprint.
OLB - Junior Spencer Adkins is a player who should break out this year. He is the second strongest player in the bench press (410) and is top 10 in quickness.
OLB - Tavares Gooden is 5th on the team with a 4.43 timing. He is also 5th with a 38-inch vertical leap. He is top 10 in the bench press (350) and 10-yard run. How is this 6-2, 240-pounder struggling to secure a starting spot? How is he not a dominator nationally? Doesn't add up.
MLB - Freshman Allen Bailey would seem to be too slow (4.93) to play LB for the Canes. But the 6-4, 270-pounder bench-presses 365 and has a phenomenal -for-his-size 34-inch vertical.
OLB - Colin McCarthy showed some of his athletic ability with his 37-inch vertical.
CB - Freshman DeMarcus Van Dyke is tied for second-fastest player on the team (4.34). The 6-1, 165-pounder also has the lowest body fat (an amazing 2.7 percent).
CB - Bruce Johnson tied Van Dyke with his 4.34 timing. He also finished second in the shuttle and tied for second in the 10-yard dash.
CB - Senior Glenn Sharpe, numerous knee injuries and all, is the quickest player on the team in the shuttle and the 10-yard dash. He is also second on the team with a 38.5 vertical leap. That comes in handy for a DB.
CB - Carlos Armour is the team's tallest corner at 6-3. He is also 7th on the team with a 37.5 vertical leap. I don't foresee WRs beating him in the air often if at all.
CB - Junior Randy Phillips has a nice skill set. He has great size for the position at 6-0, 205 pounds. He is top five on the team in vertical leap (38). And he is tied for third in the shuttle.
S - Freshman Joseph Nicolas surprised some people with his top-10 time in the 40 (4.50) and top-10 finish in the vertical leap (37). With Anthony Redd*ck out for the year and Lovon Ponder injured at the moment, he has moved up to second team on the depth chart.
 08-22-2007, 02:47 PM         #2114
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 22, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Monroe (LA) Ouachita High School TE Tyler Edwards hasn't spoken with college coaches since the dead period began.

But he says he stayed in contact with Cane coaches before the dead period and will be calling them in the near future.

"Miami is a school I'm looking at definitely," the 6-foot-4, 240-pounder with 4.6-second speed. "Miami, LSU, Alabama, Nebraska and Florida – that's my top five."

Many think he will wind up at LSU because of his proximity to the school and because his brother played there.

But he says that's not necessarily the case.

"I grew up in Louisiana, so they have that in their favor," Edwards said. "I've been there a couple of times, feel comfortable there. But they're not leading. None are above the others. Miami's had the top tight ends come out of there and go in the first round. I like that. Florida just won a national championship and has a great atmosphere down there. Alabama, (Nick) Saban's there and I know he'll turn the program around. Nebraska's a great school, has a great history. I kind of connect with them."

Edwards says he expects it to be difficult when it comes time to make a final decision.

He will be setting up official visits to each school.

"Some want me to come and see games - Miami wants me to come after the season," he said.

Edwards took an unofficial visit to Miami in late July.

"I hung out with the coach, talked to coach Randy (Shannon) and just watched some of the players work out," Edwards said. "I saw Ddgerrin James and Bubba Franks working out. I was impressed. It surprised me because people were telling me how their weight room and stuff wasn't as nice and as great, but I liked it down there.

"Coach (Shannon) – he was telling me that at Miami they had a lot of tight ends come out of there and go to the NFL, and the coaches said how they really want me, that I'm a top priority. They treated me like family down there."

Edwards says he'll decide after all his visits.

"I'll sit down with my family, my brother and talk about everything," he said.

What does he want in a program?

"Early playing time, a great atmosphere, the coaches - I want to feel at home while I'm down there," he said. "And the tight end situation there and their past history with tight ends and if they throw to the tight ends a lot ... how they use the tight ends."

As a junior Edwards had 25 receptions for 328 yards with five touchdowns.

He lists over 25 scholarship offers.
 08-22-2007, 02:48 PM         #2115
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

August 22, 2007

Gary Ferman, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Benjamin Jones bio

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Miami Northwestern High School DE Benjamin Jones is enjoying the quiet of the dead period.

"I haven't been talking with any coaches," he said. "I'm concentrating on my team. We're looking good. Every day we're getting better."

Northwestern has a big game early-season game against Texas's Southlake Carroll, which has won 79 of its last 80 games and 48 in a row.

It will be nationally televised Sept. 15 at 7 p.m.

"Everybody's hyping it up like that's the most important game, and most likely it is, because that's for the national ranking," Jones said.

Jones says he'll be taking all his official visits after his senior season.

"I just want to play my season, don't want any interruptions," he said.

But he will take unofficial visits to UM for games. He may go with teammates – five of them have already committed to Miami.

"I'll go to a few of them," he said. "I've gotten invitations to games from Miami in the mail saying they look forward to seeing me at the game, things like that."

Jones lists his top three as Miami, LSU and Ohio State.

"Those are the main three," he said. "I'm going to take a couple more visits also, but I'm not sure where yet."

Of what he likes about UM and the out of state programs, Jones said, "Miami, it's like a family over there. I know mostly all the coaches, have talked to them. A few of my teammates are going there, so I'd love to play with them again. That's the reason I'd love to go to Miami.

"For the out of state schools, I love to go out of state and see new things, meet new people, experience new things."
 9 years ago '05        #2116
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
damn ive never been so exxcited for a high skool game....cant wait to see the south carroll and northwestern game
 9 years ago '07        #2117
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
 Deeangoe said:
damn ive never been so exxcited for a high skool game....cant wait to see the south carroll and northwestern game
I know, rite
 9 years ago '04        #2118
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
South Florida speed shines with '08 outside backers
One word that describes this 2008 outside linebacker class -- fast.

While its average size may be equivalent to the measurables of a strong safety, do not let the vitals fool you. This year's group is filled with explosive pursuers who often mask their slighter frames by generating tremendous power and explosiveness in the short-area. The majority of these prospects are elite sideline-to-sideline chasers with rangy, athletic frames who possess major upside for growth while maintaining their exceptional speed.

Jimmy Johnson, left, started the trend of recruiting speedy outside linebackers, one of whom was current Miami coach Randy Shannon.
In the mid-to-late 1980s, Jimmy Johnson turned around a struggling University of Miami program and won a National Championship with his theory of sliding guys down from their natural high school positions (i.e. strong safeties to outside linebackers) to gain perimeter speed advantages, despite physical limitations. The theory that size can be gained in a college weight training program and speed can simply not be coached is still prevalent among several national programs -- and in the eyes of the evaluators at Scouts Inc.

First-year Hurricanes coach Randy Shannon witnessed Johnson's recruiting methods first hand as a starting linebacker for the Canes and has wasted little team building his 2008 class with some of the fastest pursuing outside linebackers in the country. Many of these prospects reside in the ESPN 150 and in the southern region of the Florida, where Shannon played his high school ball.

High public school enrollment in recent years and the growing participation in the sport of football could explain the recent influx of talent in south Florida. Some of the top high school coaches we spoke with in the region stated that there has also been an increased emphasis placed on prep football by towns and school districts in recent years.

The impact is apparent -- five out of our top six outside linebackers on the ESPN 150 reside in south Florida, with Nigel Carr (Jacksonville, Fla./ First Coast), the No. 1-rated prospect, leading the way.

Carr is a physically-gifted athlete with a supreme blend of size and athleticism. At 6-foot-2, 219-pounds, he flashes the speed at outside linebacker to chase down quicker skill players on the perimeter and the strength and explosiveness to anchor the run at defensive end. His long, rangy frame should blow up at the next level with added bulk while retaining his great acceleration.

Carr is a fine example of a defender whose speed may be best utilized slid down at defensive end and matched up against slower, less mobile offensive tackles on the edge. He will be taking his great scheme versatility to long-time defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews at Florida State.

No. 2 OLB Ramon Buchanan (Melbourne, Fla./ Palm Bay), who will be joining Carr in the ESPNU All-American Game and competing against him at the University of Miami, defines the word upside and is potentially one of the more underrated defensive prospects in the country.

Buchanan possesses a chiseled, rangy frame that could still add a few inches of height and definitely a ton of bulk over his college career. He flashes great acceleration and fast-twitched athleticism in the short-range and is a relentless sideline-to-sideline pursuer with excellent speed. Buchanan is a fierce hitter who plays with the physicality of a 225-pound backer at the point of attack.

Lerentee McCray (Dunnellon, Fla.), Jordan Futch (Hollywood, Fla./Chaminade-Madonna) and Marcus Robinson (Homestead, Fla.) are a trio of fast pursuing south Florida linebackers who will join Buchanan at the "U".

At 6-foot-2, 200-pounds, McCray possesses a tall, rangy frame dripping with potential. The No. 3-rated outside linebacker possesses excellent change-of-direction quickness and closing speed on the perimeter. His diagnosing skills need some improvement, but he offers some of the best overall run and pass support range in this class.

Futch possesses a bit more size and is one of the more physically impressive linebackers in this class. The ESPN 150 member plays with great reactive athleticism and consistently gets an excellent jump on the football. Technique is a bit raw in some areas, but we feel this kid has a chance to wreak havoc on the perimeter with his blend of size and excellent closing speed.

When talking about great defensive versatility in this year's ESPN 150, it is hard not to mention the fast-attacking Robinson. We feel this physically-gifted athlete could put his hand down and excel at defensive end with his great burst off the line or utilize his deceptive fluidity and great sideline-to-sideline range as a stand up perimeter linebacker. Continued physical development and refinement of skills could dictate his college position and success.

Our No. 4 and 7-ranked outside linebackers may not be from south Florida, but these Dallas natives can make just as many plays in space. Keanon Cooper (Dallas/Skyline) excels at every defensive position he is employed at by head coach Reginald Samples. We feel the explosive burst he displays at defensive end and good range he flashes at strong safety will transition to an impact outside linebacker in college. Cooper will be showcasing his versatility at the ESPNU High School All-American game.

Emmanuel Acho (Dallas/Saint Mark's) is the seventh and final outside linebacker to crack ESPN's top 100 in 2008. Acho is one of the more well-balanced prospects in this group. He flashes the physical strength to make plays between the tackles, speed to pursue sideline-to-sideline and fluidity to cover quicker slots.

Nolan Brewster (Littleton, Colo./J.K. Mullen), whose father Tim is the head coach at Minnesota, will join Acho at Texas and currently blends good size, speed and great instincts at safety. We feel his tall, lean frame will continue to fill out, and his great vertical closing speed will be better utilized attacking on the perimeter in college.

Christian Wilson (McKees Rocks, Pa./Montour) is another talented outside linebacker prospect playing in the ESPNU All-American Game in January. At 230-pounds, Wilson is an excellent athlete who currently shines on both sides of the ball. We feel he will excel as a strong-side linebacker in college with his good blend of size and closing speed.

The south Florida flavor returns as Sean Spence (Miami, Northwestern) concludes our top ten prospects for 2008 and Tarik Rollins (Hollywood, Fla, Chaminade-Madonna College Prep) starts to round out our top linebabackers in the ESPN 150.

Spence, who plays on a team packed with Division I prospects and is slight in physical stature, could have slipped through the national cracks -- but not in our eyes. The ESPNU All-American Game linebacker flashes excellent acceleration and sideline-to-sideline range while also showing great explosiveness filling between the tackles. Give him a year in college weight training program and he could be a difference maker at the next level.
 9 years ago '06        #2119
ANOMOLIE 
space
space
$247 | Props total: 0 0
It's gonna be fun watching Northwestern. I enjoy watching Streeter,Johnson and Harris. So much talent.
 9 years ago '04        #2120
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
 madness said:
There are some interesting notes to be had from the Hurricanes' annual testing of their players' speed, strength and agility. Keep in mind that these measureables are not all-important. For example, there have been tons of speed receivers who lacked great hands, toughness, the ability to get off the line or read a defense. Conversely, there have been many star players who never tested well.

But I still find these tests interesting. I still think they give an indication of who has raw athletic ability. What they do with that ability, however, is the key. Here are some general observations:

*The Canes have great speed in the secondary but need a lot more at wide receiver. The team is DEEP at cornerback.
*This year's recruiting class did wonders for the Canes in terms of adding speed at running back, notably Lee Chambers and Graig Cooper.
*If anybody deserves the nickname "Freak" on this team it's probably 6-8, 280-pound defensive end Calais Campbell because of his size, leaping ability and overall talent. Or tight end Richard Gordon for his size and speed. Or linebacker Spencer Adkins for his power and quickness.
*If you had pick one player whose measurables don't match their stats it would have to be wide receiver Khalil Jones. But if Tavares Gooden doesn't win a starting job and have a productive year as a senior, add his name to the list.

Now some more individual observations:
QB - Kirby Freeman is faster than all his veteran running backs. Freeman's 4.4 is also faster than all but two of his receivers.
QB - Freshman Robert Marve is another excellent athlete, especially for a QB. He ran a 4.59.
RB - Freshman Graig Cooper is as fast as we thought he was with a 4.43 timing. He is also second on the team with a 38.5 vertical leap. A great athlete.
RB - Freshman Lee Chambers, much less heralded than Cooper, is the Canes' fastest RB with a 4.4. Chambers also has the best vertical leap on the team at 39 inches. And Chambers' 3.8 percent body fat was second-lowest on the team . I am eager to see what Chambers can do on the field.
RB - Javarris James, the Canes' leading rusher last year, did not crack the top 10 in the 40-yard dash. Nor did he make the shuttle or 10-yard dash top-10s. That means James is neither extremely fast or quick. But he obviously is tough and has good vision, smarts, instincts and cutting ability.
RB - Derron Thomas made the Canes' top 10 in the shuttle. His quickness is his calling card. The Canes need to get him more involved in the offense or special teams.
WR - Sam Shields is the team's fastest player with a blazing 4.26. He also tested very well in shorter bursts. But the Canes really have no other burner. The only other WRs in the Canes' top 10 are Khalil Jones and Kayne Farquharson.
WR - Khalil Jones, despite his excellent size (6-2, 215) and very good speed (4.43), has been a complete bust so far, making no impact as he heads into his junior year. He is also second on the team with a 38.5 vertical leap. Why he has yet to be productive is a mystery the Canes need to solve.
WR - Kayne Farquharson, a junior-college transfer, also has two years of eligibility left. His speed (4.46) is actually faster than advertised. He also has a ton of confidence. I am hopeful he can back it up when it counts.
WR - Sophomore Ryan Hill tied for third in the shuttle, which shows that while he may not have top speed in the 40, he is very quick.
WR - Freshman Leonard Hankerson (4.71) did not run well. He has great size (6-3, 200) and huge hands. He may have an NFL future if he shaves his 40 time significantly.
WR - Jermaine McKenzie is redshirting due to injury. While he is at it, he needs to improve his speed (4.68) and add weight to his frame (6-2, 170). Skill-wise, he has excellent ability.
TE - Richard Gordon is a scary dude. His 4.51 timing is 11th best on the team, ahead of numerous smaller players at receiver, defensive back and running back. Gordon, a 6-4, 260-pounder, is only a sophomore. Get him the ball!
TEs - Dajleon Farr and Chris Zellner are on the team's top 10 in the 10-yard sprint, showing they have short-burst quickness. Zellner is also the Canes' strongest TE in the bench press (370).
OG - Senior Andrew Bain is the Canes' strongest player in the bench press (445).
C - Freshman Harland Gunn, who may redshirt this season, is a beast in the weight room. He is the team's strongest freshman in terms of bench (390) and squat (525). When you include the veterans, his bench is already the team's third best.
DE - Calais Campbell is one of the nation's most incredible athletes. He is 6-8 and 280 pounds and has a 37-inch vertical leap. How exactly do you throw over him?
DE - Sophomore Courtney Harris, touted for his pass-rushing potential, is the team's quickest d-linemen with his top-10 timing in the 10-yard sprint.
OLB - Junior Spencer Adkins is a player who should break out this year. He is the second strongest player in the bench press (410) and is top 10 in quickness.
OLB - Tavares Gooden is 5th on the team with a 4.43 timing. He is also 5th with a 38-inch vertical leap. He is top 10 in the bench press (350) and 10-yard run. How is this 6-2, 240-pounder struggling to secure a starting spot? How is he not a dominator nationally? Doesn't add up.
MLB - Freshman Allen Bailey would seem to be too slow (4.93) to play LB for the Canes. But the 6-4, 270-pounder bench-presses 365 and has a phenomenal -for-his-size 34-inch vertical.
OLB - Colin McCarthy showed some of his athletic ability with his 37-inch vertical.
CB - Freshman DeMarcus Van Dyke is tied for second-fastest player on the team (4.34). The 6-1, 165-pounder also has the lowest body fat (an amazing 2.7 percent).
CB - Bruce Johnson tied Van Dyke with his 4.34 timing. He also finished second in the shuttle and tied for second in the 10-yard dash.
CB - Senior Glenn Sharpe, numerous knee injuries and all, is the quickest player on the team in the shuttle and the 10-yard dash. He is also second on the team with a 38.5 vertical leap. That comes in handy for a DB.
CB - Carlos Armour is the team's tallest corner at 6-3. He is also 7th on the team with a 37.5 vertical leap. I don't foresee WRs beating him in the air often if at all.
CB - Junior Randy Phillips has a nice skill set. He has great size for the position at 6-0, 205 pounds. He is top five on the team in vertical leap (38). And he is tied for third in the shuttle.
S - Freshman Joseph Nicolas surprised some people with his top-10 time in the 40 (4.50) and top-10 finish in the vertical leap (37). With Anthony Redd*ck out for the year and Lovon Ponder injured at the moment, he has moved up to second team on the depth chart.
id like to point out a couple things

-Javarris James didnt participate in any testing due to a leg injury from the spring.

- Lance Leggett didnt participate due to a injury from the spring(usually a 4.45-4.50 guy)

- Darnell Jenkins didnt particpate in the spring at all due to family issues(his last official time from a year ago was like a 4.38)

-Glenn Sharpe ran a 4.3 something.

-McKenzie has been timed at a 4.39 on campus before, i guess he had a bad run

- Hankerson plays way faster than a 4.71

so we have a pretty fast team
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy