Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News Tiny Puts T.I. On Blast She's Confesses Cheating With Flo..
28 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Oh My Damn!!!!
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
'Member Lil B?
32 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Derrick Rose high as sh-t
19 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 08-17-2007, 11:38 PM         #2081
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 17, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

The offense continued its trend of making big plays in practices with some big plays in Friday's two-a-day.

After a 40-yard catch by Leonard Hankerson and a touchdown grab by Ryan Hill in the morning's work, it was Sam Shields with a big play in 11-on-11's this afternoon.

"It was a little 9 route, went for about 40 yards," Shields said.

WR Kayne Farquharson added, "It was double coverage and he caught the long bomb and kept running."

Hankerson said of his catch in the morning session that, "I had an adjust route, got on top of the DB and the quarterback threw a perfect pass. It went for about 40, 50 yards."

Hankerson said Hill's TD catch this morning was a 40-yard score.

In the afternoon session he made a nice catch on a hitch on the back side for a solid gain.

With all the big plays from the receivers this fall, Hankerson said, "We're just coming out and trying to have some excitement, have fun, just do what we can do."

Hankerson said he is working mostly with the second team.

Farquharson also had a big play today in the a.m. practice.

"It was a back side bomb – I went up and got the ball, the safety hit me but I still held onto the ball," Farquharson said.

A highlight on defense in the afternoon session was an interception by Kenny Phillips.

Despite some plays from the offense this afternoon the defense was able to shut down the offense on many other occasions.

"I think the defense won the afternoon session," CB Bruce Johnson said. "The offense did a real good job in the morning, though."

* Freshman Graig Cooper has struggled to hang onto punts, estimating he's bobbling about one in every 10.

"I've just got to work on it," he said. "It happens when I'm mentally tired. It's real frustrating, but if I keep working at it I'll get better at it.

"I can't be dropping them. Coaches are telling me technique things, but I'm still dropping them. It's just something I have to work on. I'm pretty confident I'll get it straightened out."

* Special teams coach Joe Pannunzio told CaneSport earlier today that Matt Bosher has emerged at punter.

Bosher said after the afternoon session that he's also hoping to emerge as the placekicker.

"Me, Francesco (Zampogna) and Daren (Daly) are all taking field goals right now," Bosher said. "I feel I'm hanging in there with them."

Bosher said Zampogna has a "cannon" of a leg, which could mean he is best suited for kickoffs.

Bosher said Randy Shannon is preparing him for game-day pressure by "sending the house" in punt situations in practices.

"They're getting me used to the rush," Bosher said.

* CB Bruce Johnson was working as a first team cornerback with Randy Phillips sidelined by a minor injury.

* Doug Wiggins is working primarily at nickel.
 08-17-2007, 11:38 PM         #2082
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 17, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

With the season-opener just two weeks away, it appears the starting offensive line in that game will hinge on one player: Derrick Morse.

Coaches are working Morse, who started at right guard last year, more and more at center, and he was playing that position exclusively today.

What is the benefit of having him at center?

Big-time, if coaches feel the other best four linemen are guards Orlando Franklin and Andrew Bain along with tackles Jason Fox and Reggie Youngblood.

If Morse doesn't work out at center he would return to right guard. That would mean A.J. Trump would be the likely center and either Bain or Franklin would be coming off the bench.

And yes, coaches are quick to point out there is still competition ongoing with guys like Chris Rutledge and John Rochford also trying to work into the mix.

But the bottom line is, if Morse at center means the Canes get their best five linemen on the field together, it's the most likely option.

"We have to do what's best for this football team," line coach Jeff Stoutland said. "Whatever that five guys are that are the best five guys – if it happens to be another guard (that's among the best five guys), then he might have to play center. Someone's got to play center. I'm not going to put a center on the field when I've got another guy on the bench (and the center) is not as good."

Morse has a lot to learn at center, though.

You have to be much quicker off the ball than you do at guard. And there's the mental learning curve.

"The center sets all the run schemes – who on your team has the intelligence, leadership quality to do that?" Stoutland said. "That person is the conductor of the band. Nobody overrules the center. What the center says goes.

"I always thought (Morse) had those qualities. He's a very good learner. Now, are we taking away his aggressiveness as a guard? It's a great point. We haven't determined that yet, because I feel he's real aggressive as a center as well. These are the things that we're going through every day. I'm going to a meeting now - we're going to talk about this situation as it goes. Derrick played center all day today, didn't play guard. That gives us an opportunity to look at him on film and see what's the best mixture. We're trying to figure this out."

Stoutland also makes the point that the move, if it happens, will also help Morse in the eyes of NFL scouts.

He would be useful to teams at guard or center.

"The intention is to help this team, but we also take care of our players here," Stoutland said. "This is something he has to learn anyway."

In the past Morse has told CaneSport he is more at home at right guard, which is understandable considering he never lined up at center in his life until this spring.

And he missed part of the spring due to injury.

He's never played center in a game.

But he says he'll play wherever will help out the team most.

Asked if he now sees himself as a center, Morse told CaneSport.com today that "I don't know. I'm just trying to learn both positions, and it's tough. Center is totally new. Some days are good, some days are bad. I'm trying my best."

* Former UM center K.C. Jones spoke to the team several days ago.

"He spoke to the offensive line for me, and we put a highlight film of K.C. on," Stoutland said. "It's a phenomenal film. You want to get excited before practice? Watch that film."
 9 years ago '04        #2083
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
August 18, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

The plays of the day in Saturday's practice: Interceptions on back-to-back snaps by safety Kenny Phillips. Phillips had a chance for another interception at another point in practice, but he couldn't handle it.

The offense's highlights were a couple of inside run plays that went for big gains.

Players said the receiving game was working more on mid-range passes, and there were no long TDs.

Ryan Hill had a couple of nice catches for double digit gains in 11-on-11 work. He's playing with the first team in four-receiver sets. Lance Leggett also had a nice catch on a post route.

Players' takes on the day's work:

* TE Dajleon Farr: "We did pretty well on offense, had a few bad plays that the defense capitalized on. Going out against a great defense, we always get good work in."

* S Lovon Ponder (he is splitting first team reps with Willie Cooper): "We did well, but got a little lackadaisical during the hurry-up offense period."

* DE Calais Campbell: "It was back and forth (between the offense and defense doing well). That's how it's been recently - all fall the offense will do a couple of good plays, the defense will do a couple of good plays. After Kenny's back-to-back interceptions the offense had a couple of plays. So it's back and forth."

* Daren Daly nailed a 51-yard field goal during today's work. Francesco Zampogna also had a long field goal that split the uprights.

* In extensive kick return drills to start today's work the team was using four returners: Richard Gordon, Kayne Farquharson, Ryan Hill and Joseph Nicolas.

* RB Charlie Jones has his left foot in an immobilizing boot. He's been with the injured players for over a week but this is the first time he wore the boot.

Coach Randy Shannon said Jones has an appointment with team doctor John Uribe later today.

"We'll just wait and see, take it day by day," Shannon said.

A new face with the injured players this morning was Adewale Ojomo. The injury did not appear severe, as he was doing rehab work on the side. Among those also remaining out today were Lee Chambers, Chris Zellner and Chris Perry.

* CB Randy Phillips was not practicing and Shannon said "he got a little nicked" yesterday "but should be fine for the scrimmage (on Monday)."

* Andrew Bain says he's getting even reps between left and right guard in practices.

With all the mixing and matching on the line - including using Derrick Morse more and more center - Bain said, "We've been working at it all summer. Coach said we're rotating our line around this year because we have a bunch of able players."

Morse and John Rochford were rotating in at center today.

* The No. 1 defense at the start of the morning's work: DBs Kenny Phillips, Willie Cooper, Carlos Armour, Demarcus Van Dyke. LBs Spencer Adkins, Darryl Sharpton, Tavares Gooden. DL Calais Campbell, Eric Moncur, Antonio Dixon, Dwayne Hendricks.

Chavez Grant was the first team nickel back.

* Among players working in with the second team defense in early drills: DTs Joe Joseph and Chaz Washington; LBs Eric Houston, Allen Bailey and Eric Houston; safeties Lovon Ponder and Joseph Nicolas.

* There was a 20-minute lightning delay during the morning's work.

* The team practiced in full pads today and returns for a morning practice tomorrow. On Monday the team has an early morning scrimmage at the Orange Bowl that is closed to the public and the media.
 9 years ago '04        #2084
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The most number of players ran after practice today for disciplinary reasons.

SHANNON QUOTES

"We are just holding everybody accountable for what they do. It is not one situation. Whenever those guys are not being a part of the team doing the things we need to get done, that is my responsibility to get them to understand that."

NEWS & NOTES

* The guys that ran after practice due to disciplinary reasons are: WR Sam Shields, WR Kayne Farquharson, LB Darryl Sharpton, DE Adewale Ojomo, DT Josh Holmes, OL Ian Symonette, and OL Chris Barney.

* After practice Shannon addressed the team voicing his displeasure. With the team on one knee, he stood up TEs DajLeon Farr and Dedrick Epps to single them out in front of the team.

* LB Glenn Cook will miss the 2007 season with ligament damage in his foot according to sources close to the program. Cook suffered the injury on Aug. 8 and it was originally believed that he would miss at least three games. Cook, a fifth-year player, is eligible to apply for a medical redshirt.

* CB Randy Phillips did not practice today after suffering a minor injury yesterday, but should be fine for the scrimmage on Aug. 20 according to Shannon.

* LB Colin McCarthy did not practice today and has been on and off the field since he began.

* RB Graig Cooper scored a nice rushing touchdown today. However, Cooper worked on punt returns after practice and had a very hard time catching the ball. Cooper needs to improve on catching the ball closer to his chest as opposed to letting the ball drop down below his waist, which leaves him in an unbalanced position. Cooper also had a tough time finding the ball.

* DE Eric Moncur is looking to become a strong complimentary player to Calais Campbell. Shannon said: "I think Eric Moncur brings a tremendous a.sset to what we are trying to do as a team with his enthusiasm and how powerful he is and he can play the run game."

* CB DeMarcus Van Dyke is looking to start this year as a true freshman. Shannon said: "Kenny Phillips started as a true freshman. Anthony Redd*ck started at safety so everybody's position is up for grabs."

* CB Glenn Sharpe is still injured. Shannon on if he will play the first game: "I don't know. He's injured right now and if he comes back, he comes back. We are not going to sit around and wait for anybody."

* Shannon thinks the goal for a kickoff coverage team is to tackle them before the 25-yard line because kickoffs are backed up five yards this year. Shannon doesn't believe more injuries will occur because there will be more returns.
 9 years ago '06        #2085
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,579 | Props total: 11962 11962
* LB Glenn Cook will miss the 2007 season with ligament damage in his foot according to sources close to the program. Cook suffered the injury on Aug. 8 and it was originally believed that he would miss at least three games. Cook, a fifth-year player, is eligible to apply for a medical redshirt.

:banghead:
 9 years ago '07        #2086
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
damn, the young lb's gotta step up...who 2nd team rite now
 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM         #2087
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

August 18, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

PATRICK NIX Q&A

Q: Talking to your a.ssistants and talking about your background, people say you're going to definitely run the ball first and foremost. Is that pretty accurate?

Nix: Yes, pretty accurate. There's a reason why - my background, most places I've been, played, wherever, we've been in the top of the conference in rushing. I'm a believer that you have to be able to run the ball to win. I think coach (Randy Shannon) will tell you that you have to be able to stop the run to win on defense. That's the name of the game. If you want to win championships ... it's one thing to set numbers and records and all this kind of stuff, but we're not here to do that. The record we want are wins, losses. We want to win every game and lose none. In order to do that you have to establish a run game.

Q: Are Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman still running neck and neck?

Nix: Yeah. Both of them are doing really well. They've both had a great camp, are very supportive of each other, have done a good job of working together and working with the whole offense. They have done really well. I still think we have two quarterbacks that we can win the national championship with. They both are very similar in their style in what they do. They both can make every throw, make reads, so you don't have to change offenses for one or the other.

Q: Does that make it even harder to pick a starter?

Nix: It makes it better. Because now we have two instead of one. You feel a little bit more comfortable – if something happens to one, you've got the other. I've been in situations where we had one, and that was all we had. So you had to be extremely conservative and very careful with what you did, and go to bed praying every night that he doesn't get hurt, because if he does you don't know what you'll do. So it's nice to have two of them that have the ability that they both have.

Q: Is the final scrimmage on Monday at the Orange Bowl going to be big in your decision-making process?

Nix: No. One practice – we've had 18 now and we'll look at all 18. Monday will be practice No. 20. You put them all together and look at all of them, because different things factor into it. Who knows? They might both play, one of them (might) play. We'll make that decision. We haven't talked about it, haven't thought about it. Right now we're trying to get our whole offense ready and the whole team ready to go play. They're just one of those pieces to the whole puzzle.

Q: How has the offense been progressing?

Nix: It's been good. We've seen a lot of improvement. Guys are working hard, have a lot going in on them. The defense has a lot going in on us. It's been good competition not only on our side of the ball at certain positions, but also going against our defense. It's been good, a lot of energy, guys flying around, getting a lot of good effort. We just have to keep building on it.

Q: Has any player made a dramatic improvement in the last two weeks?

Nix: I wouldn't say there's anyone in particular. I think all of them have gotten a lot better. A lot of it's because all of them are learning the system a little bit better. They're learning the details of it now, which is making them better. That's at every position, every player.

Q: At center, do you see Derrick Morse getting more comfortable there?

Nix: He's a football player. (Morse) can do anything, play anywhere. He can do a lot of different things. His experience and knowledge, all the stuff he brings to the table – he can probably play any position up front that we needed him to.

Q: So if the game was tomorrow you'd be comfortable with him playing center?

Nix: Oh, yeah. No doubt.

Q: You've said in the past that the level of talent on offense at UM is similar to what you had at Georgia Tech. Is that still how you feel?

Nix: I think the talent level is very good at Georgia Tech; I think the talent level is very good here. There's a reason why both teams are really good and are going to compete, and probably both teams are going to play very well this year. Both teams have good talent.
 08-18-2007, 09:13 PM         #2088
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

August 18, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Coach Randy Shannon was not a happy man after this morning's practice.

He gathered the team around after the session ended and lashed into players. He paid particular attention to a pair of offensive players for what apparently was a case of running incorrect routes too often.

The message Shannon said he was getting across?

"We're just holding everybody accountable for what they do," Shannon said. "It's not one situation. It's just (whenever) those guys are not being part of the team, doing the things we need to get done, that's my responsibility to get them to understand that."

Players got the message.

"He was just notifying people, because we always want to speak the truth to each other, and if someone needs to pick it up, then as a team we have to tell them – `Hey, you have to pick it up, have to carry your weight around here,'" OL Andrew Bain said. "We need each person each week, because Lord knows what's going to happen in a game. So we need each person to step it up, be ready to play, know what we're supposed to do and give great effort.

"That's what coaches are there for – to let you know `Pick this up,' `You're doing this well.' That's what his job is, to motivate us and get us going in the right direction and make sure we're doing the right things."

After practice several players endured punishment.

Darryl Sharpton, Adewale Ojomo, Sam Shields, Kayne Farquharson and Josh Holmes did up-downs (where a player walks a few steps and then drops down on all fours, then repeats it over and over). They also did crab walking and pushups, and Holmes did roly-poly's (rolling the length of the field).

Ian Symonette and Chris Barney were told to do extra running after practice and remained out on the field running laps 15 minutes after the rest of the team left the field.

"Coach Shannon really wants this to be a team where we're accountable for each other," OL Tyrone Byrd said. "He basically told us today to keep competing and working hard. He sees good things in us, so he wants us to keep pushing and wants to motivate us to keep on pushing each other and competing."
 08-18-2007, 09:13 PM         #2089
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 18, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

COACH RANDY SHANNON Q&A FOLLOWING SATURDAY'S PRACTICE

Q: How was it out there today?

Shannon: There was some good work out there after a two-a-day (on Friday). Guys flew around. We worked on a couple of situations that were pretty good. Guys flew around and had fun today. If we keep the enthusiasm day in and day out we're going to be fine.

Q: It's exactly two weeks until the season opener. How would you a.ssess where this team is right now?

Shannon: We're on a steady pace right now, doing the things we can get done. You don't ever want to be great until the end of the season, want to have corrections every week that you can get better on. At this point in time, physically, they're doing a great job sustaining. We haven't had a day off, and they're pushing through it and f!ghting through it. The mind is the thing that gets tired, but they're not tired. They're fresh, upbeat. As long as they keep that going until the first game we're going to be fine.

Q: LB Colin McCarthy limped off the field and into the locker room early.

Shannon: He's nicked still. It's the same aggravated injury. He practiced two (times) yesterday, came out for half the practice (today) and then we sent him back in.

Q: Players are saying the offense looks better this fall compared to the last several years in practice.

Shannon: I don't worry about last year. I just know those guys are practicing hard, they're competing and doing a lot of good things out there. And they have confidence. If they have confidence a lot of good things can happen great.

Q: How does Eric Moncur complement Calais Campbell?

Shannon: Eric brings a tremendous a.sset to what we're trying to do as a team with his enthusiasm, how powerful he is, and he can play the run game. Eric started last year the first part of the season till he got injured. We're excited about what he's doing, and he's competitive.

Q: What are his strengths?

Shannon: I don't know. I can't tell you that. You're going to tell the enemy.

Q: Could CB Demarcus VanDyke really start as a true freshman? He continues to work with the first team.

Shannon: Kenny Phillips started at safety as a true freshman. Anthony Redd*ck started at safety. Everybody's position is up for grabs.

Q: Will Glenn Sharpe be ready for Game 1?

Shannon: I don't know. He's injured right now. When he's able to come back, he comes back. But we're not going to sit around and wait for anybody that's injured. If the game was today could we use Glenn? No. Could we use some of the other guys that are injured? No. So we have to coach the guys we have and treat every day like a game day.

Q: Moving the ball back to the 30-yard line, is that going to make a huge difference in games?

Shannon: Oh, yeah. The biggest thing that people don't realize: If somebody shanks it (on a kickoff) you're starting at the 45-yard line. That's going to be valuable on field position, because you have to have a great kickoff team. And then the return team, you automatically get it past the 30. So you have to get guys that can try to down the guy inside the 25 instead of the 20.
 9 years ago '04        #2090
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,789 | Props total: 1391 1391
RANDY SHANNON Q&A FOLLOWING SUNDAY'S PRACTICE

[pic - click to view]

Q: How was it today out there?

Shannon: It was a typical Sunday practice. It was good. The guys flew around. We had a couple of two-minute drills that we worked on today, which was good. We were just getting ready for the scrimmage tomorrow (morning, which is closed to the public and the media). You go through things today that are short and quick and sharp, get ready to scrimmage tomorrow.

Q: a.ssuming Kyle Wright can scrimmage tomorrow, what do you look for out of him and Kirby Freeman?

Shannon: Nothing. Just go out and manage the game and score points and give us the best opportunity to win. Nothing more than what we've been asking now. That's the greatest thing about them – they just go out there and play and have fun.

Q: Is there any separation between them?

Shannon: They're still even.

Q: Is there any update on Glenn Cook?

Shannon: Don't know. (Dr. John) Uribe was over here yesterday, looked at him, said when he heals he'll be fine.

Q: He'll be out for the season?

Shannon: Don't know. Everybody's different. He could be, could not be. It depends if his body turns around and two weeks from now he's ripping and running and everything's healed and he's ready to go, he starts. If not he has to keep going.

Q: How encouraged are you by the offense?

Shannon: They did a great job this spring and are doing a great job this camp. There's enthusiasm there and they're playing the game like it should be. We as a staff just want those guys to go out and compete and have fun, and when you have opportunities to make the big plays … if you're not having a big play just be consistent and stay focused.

Q: If a player like Kyle doesn't go in a scrimmage, how does that hamper your ability to evaluate him?

Shannon: It really doesn't make a difference. We've had two scrimmages already and have a third one. Some guys may not play tomorrow, but we have evaluations on everybody on this team through the first two so far. So we'll be fine.

Q: Did Kyle's injury just happen this weekend?

Shannon: He's been competing the whole camp with it. But now it's time for us to relax (him), get him ready for the game.

Q: How much has Kirby Freeman improved from the spring to now?

Shannon: You always get improvement. That's one thing both those guys do, improve every day. You want improvement from everybody to help us go out and win games.

Q: Colin McCarthy didn't practice?

Shannon: No he didn't. He's nicked up again. He was out for one or two days, came back for two days, now back out again. Nicks come and go. I'm not a psychic to tell you when guys can come back or cannot come back. It's just the way it is.

Q: Did Randy Phillips or Glenn Sharpe practice today?

Shannon: No. They're nursing little injuries, so they're still out right now. Typical DBs and receivers – they always get nicked up and sore, because they do the most running out of everybody.

Q: Will Randy Phillips play in the scrimmage?

Shannon: I don't know. I'll know after meetings today the prognosis of how sore he is and stuff like that.
 9 years ago '04        #2091
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Freeman Steps up with Wright Out

[pic - click to view]

With Kyle Wright sitting out with an apparent knee injury today, Kirby Freeman stepped up his game.

Freeman threw three long touchdowns in 11-on-11 work and also had a touchdown pass in 7-on-7's.

Sam Shields, Lance Leggett and Ryan Hill caught the touchdowns in team drills.

"They were all 60-yard plus touchdowns," receiver Darnell Jenkins said.

Hill said of his score that "It was a bubble screen. The corner blitzed, I caught it, made a move and hit the sideline. It went for 70 or 80 yards. We had those two other touchdowns in 11-on-11 and also had a touchdown in 7-on-7 to Lance, over 50 yards.

"This was one of our better days. The last few days we've been stepping it up, and today was one of our better days."

Safety Lovon Ponder gave credit to the offense in today's workout.

"We've got fast guys making big plays – Sam and Ryan Hill, those guys are 4.2, 4.3 guys," Ponder said.

Asked if he likes seeing the offense get some big plays since that could mean good things for the offense's explosiveness this season, Ponder said, "Well, in practice we're enemies, so I don't want to see them throw any deep balls. If it was against another team, another color, I'd like it."

Ponder said a couple of the long scores were busts by defensive players.

"They were busts where guys weren't in the right position, but then (the receivers) just turned on their athletic ability," Ponder said. "It was just some guys had some little mental mistakes (on defense), that's all."

* Freshman CB Demarcus VanDyke continues to work as a first teamer.

He had a nice play today, breaking up a pass in the two-minute drill on a fourth down play to end a drive.

"I'm just trying to learn the system still, get technique down," he said.

How is that coming?

"I'm coming along because guys like Lovon, Randy Phillips, Kenny Phillips help me along," he said. "I'm picking their brain."

VanDyke says he's arriving in the football offices at 6:45 every morning to go over film before practice.

"I leave about 10 o'clock (at night) after watching film, so I'm working all day," VanDyke said.

* Of the offense's play today, VanDyke said, "The offense did pretty well today. They had a lot of long runs. Khalil Jones, Sam Shields, Ryan Hill, Lance Leggett did their thing today."
 9 years ago '04        #2092
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
Wright held out with Knee-Injury

[pic - click to view]

In nine days coach Randy Shannon will name a starting quarterback.

But for today, at least, there was only one starter.

Kyle Wright was held out of almost all work today because of a bad knee.

Wright has worn a knee brace in recent practices, but today was the first time he was unable to run or practice on the bad knee.

As the team ran in warmups he gingerly walked alongside them.

When the quarterbacks lined up for their throwing drills, he stood in the back with a football in his hand. Coaches don't want him even dropping back until the knee gets better.

And it's unclear when that will happen.

Coach Randy Shannon said Wright is "sore," adding that "he's fine, will be ready to go tomorrow."

The team is scrimmaging tomorrow morning at the Orange Bowl, and it's closed to the public and the media.

Shannon later qualified by saying "I don't know (if he'll scrimmage). It depends on how sore he is. It just depends."

Shannon said Wright's injury is not worrying him.

But then, asked if any injuries are worrisome to him, Shannon said, "No. What can you do about them? They are what they are."

Shannon said he doesn't expect the injury to factor into his decision nine days from now.

"Whoever's getting the job done is getting it done," he said, adding that Wright and Kirby Freeman remain neck and neck.
 9 years ago '07        #2093
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
cant wait for the opener
 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM         #2094
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Interesting about the KW injury... We will see what happens..
 08-20-2007, 06:14 PM         #2095
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
BY BARRY JACKSON
In what has been billed as a choice between tradition and financial security, the University of Miami is expected Tuesday to resolve an issue that has divided its fan base: whether to leave the Orange Bowl and move to Dolphin Stadium.

And all signs point toward leaving the Orange Bowl, unless the trustees surprisingly vote against the wishes of the UM administration.

UM President Donna Shalala supports moving to Dolphin Stadium and is expected to recommend that to the board's executive committee Tuesday, according to three officials with direct knowledge of the discussions. One trustee member could not recall any occasion when the executive committee did not follow Shalala's recommendation.

Shalala, who has been non-committal about her preference publicly, privately has expressed confidence that the move to Dolphin Stadium will be approved.

Miami City Manager Pete Hernandez also has said he believes UM is ''inclined'' to move to Dolphin Stadium.

The decision will be made by the 17-person executive committee, which is made up of several prominent local businessmen and women. One executive committee member said Shalala asked the trustees not to express an opinion publicly before the meeting.

One executive committee member expressed intentions to vote to move to Dolphin Stadium as long are there's confidence that the stadium's infield dirt will be removed at some point, which would be a.ssured if the Marlins leave soon after their lease ends in December 2010. That person noted the city of Miami's offer to renovate the Orange Bowl ``is not a good business plan.''

The infield dirt issue concerns several trustees and UM officials, because the first month of the college football season overlaps with the final month of baseball season. But in the past, Dolphin Stadium officials have said they were exploring ways to solve that problem.

Inside the UM athletic department, there is strong support for leaving. Among the reasons, according to officials close to the negotiations:

• UM would earn at least $1.5 million more annually at Dolphin Stadium, and that number could rise above $4 million depending on premium seat sales and other factors. That extra revenue would help fund several other athletic program projects, including upgraded on-campus facilities for football and other sports. A proposed on-campus basketball practice facility also is making its way through the approval process.

UM would receive a greater share of revenue at Dolphin Stadium in several areas. At the Orange Bowl, UM would not pocket any revenue from suites and concessions, and would be required to pay the Orange Bowl 50 percent of gross ticket receipts for club seats. UM also would need to pay the Orange Bowl a $3 surcharge on every regularly-priced ticket excluding student, complimentary, suite and club seats.

• Dolphin Stadium granted UM's request for a long-term lease (25 years). That eased the concerns of some UM trustees and officials who worried that Huizenga Holdings might try to change the terms of the deal in five or 10 years, and that UM wouldn't have another option because the OB would have been demolished by then.

• The UM administration has serious concerns about the viability of the city of Miami's financing plan. Though the city has offered $206 million, only $88 million already is available, mostly from a general obligation bond and a convention development tax.

The rest hinges on receiving $45 million from historic tax credits and generating $73 million in stadium revenue bonds. Though Hernandez has expressed confidence the city will receive the tax credits, one UM official called the $45 million a ''very aggressive number.'' And the city won't apply for the credits unless UM commits to the project.

The city doesn't want the OB getting the historic designation if UM leaves, because that would restrict what the city would do with the land.

If the credits aren't granted, some of the ''luxury-type'' amenities might need to be scaled back, said John Paccione, managing director of Jones, Lang, LaSalle -- the city's consultant on the OB project. If that happens, it's unlikely the city could generate as much as $73 million in stadium revenue bonds, a UM official said.

''This kind of deal is no different than a whole lot of deals that have been successfully delivered,'' Paccione said. ``Is there an element of risk? Sure there is. But there's a high level of confidence that the financial approach is viable.''

• The amenities offered at Dolphin Stadium, which is undergoing a substantial renovation, also appeal to UM officials. One said the school would be moving from the ACC's worst stadium to its best if the move is approved.

Though the decision will be made far above coach Randy Shannon, an official who has spoken with him said he supports the move because of the belief playing in a newer stadium with more spacious locker-rooms and the world's largest replay scoreboard would help recruiting.

One of the appealing aspects of the Orange Bowl -- the fact that the seats are closer to the field than at Dolphin Stadium -- appears more of an issue to several trustees than to the UM coaching staff.

UM officials also have pointed out to trustees that the school has nearly the same number of alumni within a 20-mile radius of both stadiums. If the Canes move, the school would provide students with on-campus transportation to Dolphin Stadium.

Though UM's lease with the OB runs through 2009, Hernandez has said the school very likely would be allowed to leave after this season if it wishes. That decision also could be made as early as Tuesday.

If UM leaves, Hernandez said the OB land would be a viable site for a retractable-roof stadium for the Marlins.
 9 years ago '04        #2096
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
orange bowl or dolphin stadium, it dont matter, a field is a field.....as long as they win games the recruits will come and money will be poured into the program
 9 years ago '07        #2097
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
yea, but a new field wouldnt hurt haha
 9 years ago '04        #2098
Cap Peeler 7 heat pts
space
space
$12,861 | Props total: 0 0
damn so we're leaving the OB behind... fu*k it it's time to win games at Dolphin Stadium now.

Here are some pics of how it's gonna be looking like at Dolphin Stadium now...

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

9 years ago '05        #2099
Deeangoe 2 heat pts
space
space
$12,895 | Props total: 290 290
props....tailgating isnt looking so bad now
 08-21-2007, 03:11 PM         #2100
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 21, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Players say Monday's closed orange vs. white scrimmage at the Orange Bowl was big on running the ball and defense.

There were some nice runs – players mentioned Graig Cooper in particular as showing some nice moves on his carries – and Derron Thomas emerged as the leading ball carrier statistically.

"Derron had a lot of good plays," RB Javarris James said.

But there weren't many big passing plays, and it was the defense on both sides that ultimately carried the day.

The only score was a field goal.

"The offense did pretty good – we drove the ball down, but had a couple of penalties," James said. "We moved the ball pretty well."

Even though he says the defense "played extremely well," DE Calais Campbell left Monday's scrimmage somewhat disappointed.

It was the first scrimmage he says he can remember in recent memory where he didn't have a sack.

"They ran the ball a lot," Campbell said. "We're coming along, are fine-tuning everything. I feel (the defensive players) got a lot better on technique, a lot of different things. We made a lot of progress and got a lot better.

"As a team effort we all played extremely well. We were just going out there and having fun in our last scrimmage, playing and competing."

* The biggest play of the scrimmage was a long return by Richard Gordon.

* Kyle Wright did not participate in the scrimmage as he continues to be held out with an apparent knee injury. Sources tell CaneSport.com the injury is not considered serious, and he could return to action at some point this week. Coach Randy Shannon has said both Wright and Kirby Freeman remain even in the competition to name a starter, and he will announce a starting QB next Tuesday.

* The length of the scrimmage, according to James: "Half a game."
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Best Twerking Vines
31 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Trumpgrets: Trump Voters ALREADY Regret The Fu€kery They Commi..
360 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I'm fu-king PISSED _____________ ! stole my Rosario Dawson
162 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - ATL strikes AGAIN: Man raped by homo thug crew snapchat setup
156 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside J Cole 4 Your Eyez Only Documentary! Drake Stans Come See a TRUE Hip Ho..
36 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Soulja Boy caught Pump faking he in Singapore but really in a ratcher ..
57 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Island Girl Is A Lightskin Goddess
68 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 2 - Man who gunned down ex-NFL player in road rage case released wi..
142 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy