Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Woman makes husband lose it after convincing him she's adopted wild co..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Shout out to my young bosses wifing boss bi-ches
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 3 - Las Vegas math teacher - smash or pass
48 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside BREAKING: OAKLAND PARTY FIRE- death toll to reach up to 40, 9 people f..
42 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 08-13-2007, 09:31 PM         #2041
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 13, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

The highlight of today's afternoon practice, and perhaps the entire fall to date, was a 99-yard touchdown pass to Darnell Jenkins.

The offense was working on a drill in 11-on-11's coming out from its own goal line.

Jenkins tore downfield and was picked up by safety Kenny Phillips.

Phillips got a finger on the deep pass, but Jenkins then secured it and raced into the end zone.

"We were all the way back there," Jenkins said. "It might have been 100 yards."

H-back Dedrick Epps and WR Ryan Hill also had receiving touchdowns today.

* Calais Campbell had a rare feat for a defensive end today: He got an interception on a checkdown pass to one of the running backs. It was in two-minute drills, so he simply fell down after snaring the pass.

"I had a stunt inside, it got picked up so I had to spy," Campbell said. "The quarterback threw it, I jumped up and just caught it. I just batted it and it went back in my hands.

"After I fell down with it I got tackled by Eric Moncur and all the other linemen jumped on. It felt good, but it kind of hurt. It was a lot of pain. When you make a play that's the worst thing everybody laying on top of you (celebrating), pounding your helmet. But it feels good when you get up."

* It was an impressive showing for the offensive line in goal line drills today.

The line was fired up after coach Jeff Stoutland got on them early in drills for being sluggish. Stoutland won't have much to complain with after the group's showing in goal line drills: In five chances to score on the goal line, the offense scored four times.

In the past that's almost unheard of in fall practices against the UM defense.

"Since I've been here we've never done that," OL Derrick Morse said. "Two out of five is good on our defense. We were out there battling today."

"We came out and did what we have to do up front," OT Chris Rutledge added. "We're trying to be a meaner group up front, a lot more physical."

Graig Cooper and Javarris James had rushing touchdowns today, and FB Jerrell Mabry ran in a pair of scores.

"He's a big man," Morse said of Mabry. "He might be 280 pounds, but he's trucking. He's like the bus, that's what we call him."

Campbell says he's impressed by what he's seen out of the offensive line the last few days of practice.

"They're like a pro offensive line right now," Campbell said. "They're all f!ghting. They want it. Today they played real well, had some key blocks. They wanted it bad and made some key plays."

Of the overall offense, Campbell says, "They look amazing. They'll be scoring a lot of points this year, are going to shock some people."

Campbell said the defensive line "isn't where we want it to be." But he adds, "We're making some progress and we'll be where we want to be by Sept. 1."

The line was helped by the return of DT Teraz McCray today - he was back in for 11-on-11 work this afternoon in full pads. He'd missed the last several practices with injury.

* After the morning practice OL coach Jeff Stoutland called Derrick Morse one of the three top effort guys he's ever had.

Where does Morse get that drive from?

"I've just got a little bit of pride and don't want anybody to beat me," Morse said. "I don't want to go in and watch film and see another guy physically manhandle me. I don't want the younger guys to see that. I have too much pride to let that happen. As long as you're going 100 percent, controlled aggression ... As coach Stoutland said, effort requires no talent. I'm not the most talented guy, but I'll go 110 percent."

Of working in at center, Morse said, "I love guard, it's more smashmouth, but whatever it takes. They might need me at center at some point this season, so I'm working at it to get acclimated to it."

* New faces working on the side with the injured players in the afternoon practice were RB Lee Chambers and DE Steven Wesley. There was no immediate update on the status of either, but neither injury appeared severe.
 08-13-2007, 09:31 PM         #2042
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 13, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

Entering the fall, receivers coach Marques Mosely mused that Lance Leggett and Sam Shields had the kind of ability that could force opponents to double-team them, opening up others to make plays.

But now it's another receiver that is making the biggest splash.

Senior Darnell Jenkins, who has never put together a consistent season at UM, is opening eyes.

Mosely told CaneSport.com after today's practices that Jenkins "is playing like he's one of the best receivers in the country right now."

He's certainly been a touchdown machine so far in fall camp. He had four touchdowns in the last two days of practices and had a 99-yard score in today's drills.

"Darnell is really having fun," Mosely said. "When you have a guy as athletic as he is, confident as he is and experienced as he is, it makes me as a coach have a lot of fun when I can watch Darnell make the plays he's making. The other receivers see him making the plays he's making, and they know there's no reason they can't go out and do the same thing. It's spreading in a sense to where one guy makes a play, all of a sudden it feeds off to the other guys."

Jenkins says he's happy with his play this fall.

"I'm just practicing trying to get better day by day," Jenkins said. "There's always room for improvement. I just try to get better every day. What's done is over with now, so I have to move on and continue to make plays."

Will Jenkins start a.ssuming he keeps playing at this level?

"I'm not going to say right now," Mosely said. "He's definitely playing like he's a starter."

What is different about Jenkins this fall?

"I'm just more mature, willing to accept whatever role I have to play on this team," Jenkins said.

Mosely also spoke about Shields and Leggett.

Shields is the fastest Hurricane with sub-4.3 second speed. Mosely said of his progress this fall that, "Sam is a very explosive athlete. Sam brings a lot of maturity. He's grown over this past summer. Being a true freshman (last year), stepping on the field the second play of the game against Florida State, that's a lot on a true freshman. But at the same time it really helped him grow as an athlete and as a young man. So I'm looking forward to Sam having a big year."

Leggett struggled with dropped passes in a couple of practices last week, but Mosely says he's gotten things straightened out the last few practices.

"Things like that are going to happen Lance had days there where he dropped balls, had a tough time," Mosely said. "But he came back out and worked his butt off. He just has to relax and catch the football. Lance and I had a good talk after (the drops) and he's had good days ever since then. I look for Lance to step it up and really progress as the year goes on."

Overall Mosely says he's very happy with his receiving corps.

"They're really competitive," he said. "We have a lot of depth now, so I can move guys in and out. If one guy doesn't want to step it up, I'm going to put the next guy in in a heartbeat. That's the beauty of having a little depth.

"There's been a tremendous amount of progress with our receivers (this fall). They're playing with a lot of confidence right now. They really fly around and make plays. You see different guys making plays, and that's a good thing for us as an offense, because if teams want to rotate the coverage to one guy or the other, we'll just come backside or go frontside depending on what the defense decides to do. If we all can continue to make plays and stay competitive and aggressive, this receiver group is going to be really good this year."

* In other news, Mosely elevated a couple of first-year Canes to second team for a good portion of today's drills: Kayne Farquharson and Leonard Hankerson.

"We're moving guys around," Mosely said. "I want to find out what guys can do. I don't want to wait until the Marshall game and we get in the second quarter and someone's hurt ... I want to make sure these guys are ready now. I want to see if guys can adjust I'm going to demote you and promote you. We have to stay mentally tough, physically tough."

Mosely added of Hankerson that "He is already physically ready to play at this level. It was just the mental capacity of whether Hank was going to be able to handle the mental part of playing at this level. Hank is definitely going to be able to help us out this year."
 08-13-2007, 09:31 PM         #2043
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 13, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

JEFF STOUTLAND Q&A

Q: How is shifting guys around on the O-line, using Derrick Morse at center some, working out?

Stoutland: Good. You have to be prepared for everything. In my opinion it's the best thing to do. You're going to experience injuries on the offensive line no matter where you're at. And so I would hate like heck to be in a game and all of a sudden we have an injury and don't have an answer for it. We're always staying one step ahead. This is the time to do it right now in preseason and really get an evaluation of whether a guy can play a position or not. We didn't have a lot of players in the spring, unfortunately, so we didn't have a lot of time to evaluate back then.

Q: So Morse is more a backup plan at center? He's a guard working some at center?

Stoutland: I don't know. If he shows he can be the best center ... it all depends on what the situation is. If he shows he's as good a center as one of the other guys, then I can put Andrew Bain at right guard. There's a lot of combinations you can do, but you really want your best five players on the field. It's not fair to have a guy on the bench that's as good as someone on the field. That's not right, in my mind.

Q: What's your overall level of satisfaction with the offensive line play so far this fall?

Stoutland: Well, it's a long way to go. I like the seriousness of the group. They're here to study and learn. When it gets time to execute they're doing a decent job of that. There's still room for improvement. But there's still a long way to go in camp.

Q: Can you name the two or three linemen that you're the happiest with how they've done?

Stoutland: Well, they're all doing some good things at times. I can't point two guys out right now. It wouldn't be fair to the other players. As a group, collectively, I think they're all playing hard. I can say this: Derrick Morse plays his tail off. He gives the greatest effort, is probably in the top three guys I've ever coached in terms of his effort level, how hard he plays on every play. He doesn't take plays off. He's consistent.

Q: What's going on with Orlando Franklin and his preparedness to play as a true freshman?

Stoutland: He's working at it right now and doing a good job. Physically, he's where a fourth or fifth year guy would be. That part of it is there. Now it's a matter of learning the system, the techniques he has to use. And that's really a struggle for him, the biggest struggle for him, to master those things.

Q: Is Reggie Youngblood back primarily with the first group now at right tackle?

Stoutland: I consider Youngblood a starter. I consider (fellow tackles) Chris Rutledge and Jason Fox starters. I'm going to be real honest: They're all going to play. We're not going to end the season with bald tires. We're going to have treads left. We're not going to go the whole season with two guys going every snap. We're going to roll those guys in all year long and they're going to be better for it and we're going to be better for it. All three of those guys are real good players, know what they're doing from a mental standpoint.

Q: So you may take it to Tuesday before the first game to name starters?

Stoutland: Yeah. And it can go week-to-week after that. Because if I just said we have three tackles I don't care who starts. They're all going to play. We're going to roll them in and out. And I like to do that with the guards too, have three guards you can do that with.
 9 years ago '04        #2044
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
 madness said:
he ran for 348 yards in a game as a junior, a dade county record
no it aint, not close

frank ran for 410yds and 370 and 36something in highschool,
 9 years ago '04        #2045
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
no it aint, not close

frank ran for 410yds and 370 and 36something in highschool,
damn, i coulda sworn i read that jones broke the record
 9 years ago '04        #2046
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Canes' Gordon a special combination
Richard Gordon's blend of power and speed might make him one of the most lethal kick returners in the nation this season.

[pic - click to view]

'Once I get going I'm a train,' UM kickoff returner Richard Gordon said.

Close your eyes and imagine this: He's 6-4 and 265 pounds, huge, chiseled and fast -- part hulk, part blur. And he is gaining momentum in an open field, like a truck burling downhill.

And you have to stop him.

Now open your eyes and take a look at the University of Miami's newest kick returner, Richard Gordon, a unique hybrid who might redefine the concept of taking one back.

Gordon is big enough and strong enough to play defensive end, talented enough to play tight end and versatile enough to do both and also return kickoffs.

PURE POWER

''I wish we wouldn't tell people about him because there is not a kicker in the nation who is going to be able to take him down,'' UM place kicker Daren Daly said. ``The other day [during a scrimmage] I ran across the field just to have him run me over. I didn't tackle him. He just ran me over on his way down the field.

"He's going to run over a lot of people, and if a kicker tries to stop him, they are pretty much going to get k!lled. Richard is like 265 pounds, and he runs a 4.5. He is going to run you over. You're not stopping him.''

That's the idea, and UM coach Randy Shannon likes it, the vision of a bigger, stronger -- and yet fast -- kick returner who puts fear in the opposition every time he touches the ball.

'The first time I saw him [run back kickoffs], all I thought was `Oh my God,' '' UM cornerback Randy Phillips said. ``Oh my God.''

This is part of the new-look Hurricanes, a team searching for any way to climb back into the national spotlight, a team hungry enough to throw a few new wrinkles into the game.

Gordon is more than a wrinkle.

''He's a novelty,'' said UM a.ssistant coach Joe Pannunzio, who coaches special teams and tight ends.

What Gordon represents is untapped talent, like so many other players on this team.

Now he hopes to come right at every UM opponent, a scary thought.

''I like seeing the fear in their eyes,'' Gordon said. ``I don't mind scaring them. I need to scare them so they will get out of my way.

"I want them to think about that before they come at me. And if they don't kick it to me, then I'm still going to be out there as a blocker for the one they do kick it to.''

Gordon, a sophomore from Miami Norland High who also went to Milford Prep (N.Y.), switched from tight end to defensive end in the middle of his freshman season and played 12 games on special teams -- as a tackler.

''I still want to be on the special teams,'' Gordon said. ``I want to do both, tackle them and run back kicks.''

When he says, ''run back kicks'' Gordon can't help but smile.

"Yeah, it's fun. I really want to do it. I'm very athletic, and they're just trying to find a place for me to play. Wherever they want to put me, I'll play there.''

It's still a work in progress.

''Everybody would like the idea of having a 265-pound guy returning kicks,'' Pannunzio said. ``You've got to have some talent to do that, so we are working with him, and we'll see. He looked good the other day in the scrimmage, so we are going to give him a shot. He's fast. He's scary.''

UM probably will use Gordon along with DajLeon Farr at tight end this season, but if this experiment works on kick returns, Gordon might turn into one of the most dangerous kickoff returners in the nation. He had a couple of long touchdown returns -- including one from the end zone -- in prep school.

SHOW OF SPEED

''I ran back kicks at prep school, and the coaches here talked to my prep school coach and started to talk to me about doing it in the spring,'' Gordon said. ``When I ran them back in prep school, the other teams would kick the ball to me because they thought I was so big that I wasn't going to go anywhere. But I ran two back and one was out of the end zone. My prep coach was always bragging about how I could run them back. He told [the coaches at UM].''

Gordon can't wait to run one back in a game, and predicts he will return at least one for a touchdown and probably more this season.

''I feel good to be back there running them back,'' he said. ``I believe I can run more than one back this year, and bring it to the 50 most of the time. Once I get going I'm a train.''
 9 years ago '05        #2047
stillsouf 
space
space
$919 | Props total: 6 6
^^^We gon put that bi*ch out da game in the 1st quarter :finger:
 9 years ago '04        #2048
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 stillsouf said:
your team must win a mininum of 3 national titles to post in this thread
 9 years ago '06        #2049
DEDOS 120 heat pts120
space
space
$57,564 | Props total: 11928 11928
 stillsouf said:
phillips is gonna give yall wide outs or RB a concusion :slap:
 08-14-2007, 02:42 PM         #2050
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 14, 2007

Matt Shodell, CaneSport Magazine

Related Links:
Keon Wilson bio

Talk about it in The Storm Center

Poplarville (MS) Pearl River Community College LB Keon Wilson says he's still weighing his options.

He lists three offers from Miami, South Florida and Ole Miss.

"Right now I'd say it's an 80 percent chance I wind up at Miami," the 6-foot-1, 240-pounder with 4.5-second speed says.

He's entering his sophomore season at Pearl River CC. Last season he had 117 tackles, two interceptions (one returned for a touchdown) with 12 sacks.

"I talk to Miami coaches, throughout the week I talk to them maybe twice," Wilson said. "I talk to coach (Clint) Hurtt. He talks about the program being on the rise, how I can come in and be effective."

Wilson says he expects to make a final decision "toward the end of my season."

He attended Jacksonville Raines High School he was an All-State selection as a senior - and his family has since moved to Miami.

"I'll be back in town for Thanksgiving," Wilson said. "Once I'm in town I'll go by and check things out."
 08-14-2007, 02:43 PM         #2051
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 14, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

The first time Cane players learned about The List, more than half the team was on it.

Coach Randy Shannon read each name off at a team meeting and told the players to wait outside of the meeting room for him.

He then took them down to Greentree Practice Field school clothes, sandals, backpacks and all and had them run gassers.

"I had to do that," DE Calais Campbell said. "Now I'm good. I'm not going to be on The List again."

What got Campbell on the list was returning books late.

Like Campbell, most of the team got the hint after that. The List has dwindled significantly nowadays.

"Lately there's hardly anyone on it," OT Reggie Youngblood said. "I was on The List one time. I forgot to turn my books in, got punished for that. That's the last time that'll happen. That's it."

If your name is called during team meetings, you're not happy.

"Coach Shannon calls out the names, says `See me outside,'" Cyrim Wimbs says. "When they come back inside they're soaked, full of sweat. I figure whatever it was they did, it can't have been good."

Offensive lineman Matt Pipho sees the players on The List disappear.

And then he'll see them an hour later in the locker room.

"They disappear and you hear stories and legends," Pipho says. "People come back in the locker room that have puke on them just from rolling he'll make them roll down the field."

And it's not just roll around a bit and you're done.

It's a competition among all the players on The List.

The fastest player to finish rolling the set distance is done with the punishment.

The rest have to keep rolling.

What can get you on the list?

"Not following team rules, just not doing what you're supposed to do, what coach Shannon has instructed you to do," OL Andrew Bain says.

Will having a cell phone in the football office get you on the list?

"That will get you on the list," Bain says. "And get your phone taken away."

If your equipment's not on in time for the start of practice?

"That'll get you on The List, too," he says. "If he tells you anything has to be done by a certain time and you don't do it by a certain time, you're on The List. If you're supposed to get a tutor or do something to help you get better in a class, see a teacher, and you don't do it that'll get you on The List."

Missing rehab or getting a bad report from a professor will get you on the list.

So what really happens to players on The List?

"I don't know and I don't want to know," Wimbs says. "I stay off the list."

Derrick Morse says, "They run, they get demoted, they get a bad rap. You don't want to be a list guy here. You're on that list, at the team meeting coach Shannon will just say, `See me after this.' And then they're on the field and they're running in jeans, whatever you don't change, go right to the thing. And that's not always the punishment. It depends on what it is. It might be `You were first team, now you're second team.' Guys know the severity of it. The worst thing you can do is demote somebody, take away your playing time."

Players will do anything to stay off The List.

Which means they are concentrating on doing the right things.

And that's how Shannon wants it.

"I just try to stay out of trouble with him he's not a guy you want to get in a bad situation with," Jason Fox says.

Morse adds, "I would never get on The List because I fear The List."
 08-14-2007, 02:43 PM         #2052
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 14, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Related Links:
CaneSport TV: Robinson talks about the move

CANESPORT TV: Robinson talks move

Redshirt freshman Kylan Robinson played plenty of positions in high school.

He was a tight end, receiver and defensive end as a freshman, sophomore and junior when he was living in Anchorage, Alaska.

And he played receiver and tailback after moving to Tampa, Fla. as a senior.

But now he's playing a whole new position.

Robinson, who arrived at UM as a tailback and moved to H-back this summer, is now a linebacker.

Robinson says he's unsure if the move is permanent.

Coaches asked if he wanted to play linebacker after injuries to Anthony Redd*ck and Glenn Cook depleted the unit. Darryl Sharpton has also missed several practices and continues to be out.

Robinson thought about it for a couple of days and decided to make the move starting today.

"I just decided it was best for the team and best for me, so I made the move," Robinson said. "In the spring they had talked to me about it, but I didn't really take it under consideration."

Robinson was getting second team reps today. And he admits he didn't really know the nuances of the plays the defense was running.

"I don't know much about linebacker," Robinson said. "The thing I don't know is filling my gaps that was a learning experience for me."

Robinson still wears his familiar No.36 jersey, but instead of an orange offensive jersey he's putting on the white defensive one in practice.

How did Day 1 on defense go?

"I think I did alright," said Robinson, who played weakside linebacker behind Spencer Adkins. "I had a couple of mistakes, but everybody makes mistakes."

A big adjustment for Robinson: Having to make big hits on his running back buddies.

"It was a little different they talked a little trash to me before practice," Robinson said. "I got in there and got them."

He says, overall, he's glad he made the move.

"Defense I felt is a better fit for me because I'm more aggressive," Robinson said. "On offense you have to do certain a.ssignments. On defense you do extra a.ssignments, but you're also free, too."
 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM         #2053
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 14, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

There were no touchdown passes in today's one-hour-and-15-minute practice in shells.

There was a touchdown run, though: Walkon fullback Gabriel Diaz hammered through for a score in the two-minute drill.

That was the highlight of the day for the offense.

The second team was given 1:35 on the clock and two timeouts and came through.

"It wasn't as good a day as yesterday (for the offense)," said OL Andrew Bain, who says he's getting first and second team reps at left and right guard.

Overall, OL Derrick Morse said the line didn't perform consistently well today.

"Yesterday we had a great day we just have to be consistent and come out tomorrow and do what we have to do," Morse said.

There should have been a score through the air today: Darnell Jenkins was open for a touchdown, but another receiver ran the wrong route and tried to catch the ball. It deflected away from Jenkins incomplete.

* TE Dajleon Farr said the offense did "alright" today.

"We had mistakes like fumbled snaps," Farr said. "But we still got a lot of work done today."

* DT Antonio Dixon is working in mostly with the first team with Teraz McCray and Josh Holmes banged up.

Of how the defense is doing, he said, "We're banged up right now but just have to keep pushing."

* The team is gearing up for the second scrimmage of the fall tomorrow.

"We're excited for the scrimmage," OL Reggie Youngblood said. "Last scrimmage was like a game. It was a lot of fun, people flying around. So I'm excited, everybody's excited."

* Working on the side with the injured players today: DT Dwayne Hendricks, who had his right ankle taped but was jogging; Darryl Sharpton, Charlie Jones and Lee Chambers. OL Joel Figueroa was also limited today. And LB Colin McCarthy has been held out the last two days, but there was no immediate information available on his status.

* The first group defensive line at the start of today's practice: DL Eric Moncur, Antonio Dixon, Luqman Abdallah, Calais Campbell. LB Spencer Adkins. The second team DL: Vegas Franklin, Joe Joseph, Abdallah (took reps at both), Courtney Harris. Jared Campbell was working as the second team safety ahead of Joseph Nicolas. The second team linebackers were Eric Houston, Allen Bailey and Kylan Robinson.

* DE Steven Wesley is working with the second and third teams.

"Coach (Clint) Hurtt told me that I progressed a lot from the spring," Wesley said. "So I guess I'm doing pretty well so far.

"I feel more explosive, stronger than when I first got here."
 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM         #2054
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 14, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

RANDY SHANNON Q&A FOLLOWING TUESDAY'S PRACTICE

Opening statement: Practice was short, it was crisp. It was about one hour and 15 minutes of practice. We were fine-tuning some stuff for the scrimmage tomorrow.

Q: What do you hope to get accomplished in the scrimmage?

Shannon: The same thing as the last time, just get some work in for game-type situations.

Q: It'll be a little longer than the last scrimmage?

Shannon: Maybe two minutes longer, that's all.

Q: Kylan Robinson is moving to defense?

Shannon: He's moved to defense, linebacker. (We moved him for) depth, a lot of guys are nicked up right now. He's an athlete, so you can play athletes at any position.

Q: He wanted to make the move?

Shannon: No, we just asked him, and he said okay, he wants to help the team out.

Q: How was he doing at H-back?

Shannon: He was doing fine. He moved because he wanted to help the team. We asked him to move.

Q: Is this a permanent move, or just until everybody is healthy?

Shannon: I don't know yet. It depends on how he does at linebacker.

Q: Do you expect Dwayne Hendricks back in a couple of days?

Shannon: He should be. He practiced today.

Q: How is the offensive line doing?

Shannon: We've been mixing, mingling people around. We're trying to prepare for different situations.

Q: How is A.J. Trump doing at center?

Shannon: He's doing fine. We have about four or five guys f!ghting for that spot right now.

Q: At halftime and before the scrimmage you take the team in the locker room. Why is that?

Shannon: Game time situations, that's all we're doing. The more you can get used to game time situations, the easier it is for the players.
 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM         #2055
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
A lot of updates today
 9 years ago '04        #2056
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$16,785 | Props total: 1381 1381
tommorows the second scrimmage..so should be alot more news

im going to post some pics from the first one i found
 9 years ago '04        #2057
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Scrimmage Report: 8/15
Aug. 15, 2007

[pic - click to view]

Kirby Freeman and Kyle Wright

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- The Hurricanes scrimmaged for the second time this fall.

Like last week, Randy Shannon wanted it to be a game-like scrimmage. The teams were divided up and played four quarters with college officials. There was even a video replay.

SHANNON QUOTES

"It was fun today. We got a lot of work done today. We ran the ball pretty decent. We had a couple of bad plays on special teams and that's why we practice special teams. Overall, the offense and defense did a great job. There were some big plays on special teams, but they were called back because of penalties that we can not have on this team."

NEWS & NOTES

* WR Sam Shields caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from Kirby Freeman as he caught the ball at the top of his jump.

* RB Javarris James had a 40-yard touchdown run as he bounced to the outside. James had the best day of all of the backs.

* RB Graig Cooper had a big punt return and is being used at running back, wide receiver, kick returner, and punt returner this fall. BONUS VIDEO: Cooper Discusses Scrimmage

* QBs Kyle Wright and Freeman did, "a good job today" according to Shannon. They played on both teams. When one would make a good play, the other would congratulate him and when they would make a mistake, the other would show encouragement.

* S Jared Campbell intercepted a pass and nearly returned it for a touchdown except he fumbled the ball before the goal-line. "Jared is doing a wonderful job for us right now running with the second-team."

* LB Kylan Robinson did well today. Shannon said he ran around well and is a smart kid.

* RB Shawnbrey McNeal has cleared his physical and practiced for the first time yesterday and participated in the scrimmage yesterday.

* Shannon on the freshmen: "We are going to play five to eight freshmen on this team that will help us out.

* The offensive line shuffled throughout the scrimmage, which was different than the last scrimmage when they kept a basic lineup.

* The team also had substitutions, but did not have any penalties with running guys in and out.

* The next and final scrimmage of the fall is scheduled for Tuesday.
 9 years ago '04        #2058
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
WR Jenkins Impressed NFL Scouts
Aug. 15, 2007

[pic - click to view]

Darnell Jenkins

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- With NFL scouts at practices recently, they were curious about senior WR Darnell Jenkins.

According to a source close to the program, two NFL teams showed particular interest in Jenkins.

The scouts said Jenkins was sure to be a mid-round draft pick if he had a good senior season.

With the NFL cracking down on behavior problems, they wanted to know about Jenkins' character especially after Jenkins was sent home in the spring because of family issues.

"I am more into it now with the support of my teammates," Jenkins said. "I'm just happy to be back on the team. I just have to give it my all on every play."

Jenkins, a 5-foot-10, 190-pound wideout has caught 62 passes for 675 yards and four touchdowns in his career.

This year, Jenkins is looking to have a breakout season and excel in the new offense where he has played primarily in the slot.

"Whatever Coach Shannon wants me to play, that is where I have to play so I got no choice, but to settle with that," said Jenkins on playing as the slot receiver.

Last season he caught 13 passes for 183 yards in three games before suffering a season-ending knee injury. He was on pace for 56 catches and 793 yards.
 9 years ago '04        #2059
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
2008 Immediate Impact Recruits
Aug. 15, 2007

[pic - click to view]

Sean Spence

Top 5 Potential Immediate Impact Recruits

Today we bring you another Top 5 list, but this one is a bit different. In fact, it may never happen because there are no guarantees as to who will actually end up a Hurricane, but based on the verbal commitments that the University of Miami already has, we pick five players who we feel will be immediate impact recruits. To be an immediate impact recruit does not mean you are the best recruit, but the one who will walk in the door and make an impact, i.e. make an immediate difference.

5. Marcus Forston, Miami Northwestern, DT

In the eyes of many, Forston is the top recruit in the class. Hes a five-star defensive tackle and regarded as the No. 2 defensive tackle in the country. A dominating force in high school, he will have the opportunity for immediate playing time as there are no dominating defensive tackles on the roster at the present time and unless some players drastically improve, Forston will more than likely not be redshirted. The current tackles are rather young, but we really wont know how good they are until the season begins.

4. Marcus Robinson, Homestead, OLB/TE

The reality of Marcus Robinson is that he probably wont academically qualify for the University of Miami, but the other reality is that if he does, hes got the type of athletic gifts that will get him on the field somewhere. Whether its at outside linebacker or at tight end, Robinson is flat out one heck of a football player. With major depth problems at linebacker, Robinson would be the type of athlete the Canes have been missing on the outside since Rocky McIntosh.

3. Sean Spence, Miami Northwestern, LB

Sean Spence roams the field and mans the middle for Northwestern. He projects as an outside linebacker, but again, it is Miamis thinnest position, which means the opportunity to play immediately will be there. Hes the best linebacker on the best defensive team in the state of Florida. He flies around the field like nobodies business and is simply a big time playmaker. He brings a major excitement to the field. The biggest concern is his size and there are thoughts that he could end up moving to safety, Spence is a bad boy of a linebacker and would definitely be a gem on special teams as a freshman and could sneak in some time on defense as well.

2. Jordan Futch, Hollywood Chaminade, OLB

He wants to play safety, but at 6-foot-3, 220 pounds right now, there is no way that is going to happen. He will be one heck of a linebacker and already has some serious U passion. The question for any Class 2A level player is that that level of competition sometimes doesnt prepare a player for the next level, at least immediately. Futch is coming from the same school as Jon Beason and Glen Cook. Beason made a splash, but Cook has struggled a bit. If Futch is anything like Beason, consider that a major success.

1. Aldarius Johnson, Miami Northwestern, WR

While every other player on my list is purely speculation being that three of them are linebackers and the Canes have five current commitments at linebacker, its clearly a gut feeling as to who will make the biggest impact immediately. However, this one leaves no doubt for me. At 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Aldarius Johnson will step foot on campus and be the next great Miami receiver. Ill go one better. Aldarius Johnson will be the best receiver ever leaving Miami. Again, I said leaving Miami. Not talking about an NFL career, but in three years, he should have every UM record. Hes that good. Lance Leggett and Darnell Jenkins will be gone giving Johnson the opportunity to show what he can do immediately. The fact is, its impossible to coach speed and impossible to coach someone to have excellent hands like Johnson has, and definitely, its impossible to coach the size that he has. Hes already smashed every Miami-Dade County high school record and will probably break his own records this year. I havent been this impressed with a high school football player that Ive seen play since Willie Williams, someone who strikes fear into opponents. Here is an example, a corner plays ten yards off A.J. and he still flies by the corner to the point where the corner falls over. Its simply too easy for A.J. But A.J. is minus the 14-page rap sheet.

Didn't Make the Cut: I don't make a habit on commenting on players I've not seen, so I didn't include guys like Ramon Buchanan and Lerentee McCray. But at the same time, Patrick Robinson is the No. 1 corner in the country and I don't have him listed either. Reason being Miami has a lot of young corners who should be back next year. Therefore, I don't see Johnson getting a lot of reps. In fact, if I was Shannon I'd consider redshirting him because of the experience at the position next year. Obviously, QB Jacory Harris has about as much chance to start next year as I do. If Robert Marve is healthy, he'll be the starting barring an injury or some incredible surge from Kirby Freeman. I think it will take some time for Davon Johnson and Thearon Collier simply because they aren't that big and will need to put on some muscle.
 9 years ago '04        #2060
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
However, this one leaves no doubt for me. At 6-foot-3, 195 pounds, Aldarius Johnson will step foot on campus and be the next great Miami receiver. Ill go one better. Aldarius Johnson will be the best receiver ever leaving Miami. Again, I said leaving Miami. Not talking about an NFL career, but in three years, he should have every UM record. Hes that good.
:wow:
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Only A Matter Of A Time
104 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Chick With The A$$ From J. Cole's False Prophets Video...
70 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside "Here Lies Drake... Bodied By A Acting N!gga AGAIN": Shia LaBouef Confi..
135 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chris Pratt Keeps Cropping Jennifer Lawrence Out of Photos & It Never ..
46 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jim Jones Responds To Cam'ron: You A F*ck Boy With No Honor
106 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Police: Man kills parents, dismembers and dissolves bodies after than..
64 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside China Warns iPhones Have A Serious Problem
16 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
audio inside J. Cole - False Prophets
196 comments
2 days ago