Miami Hurricanes

most viewed right now
SOULJA BOY GOONS steal MIGOS CHAIN !!!!!
48 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump is finally free
150 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Kidd Kidd EXPOSES Lil Wayne's Ghostwriters & SLAMS Him For His Black Li..
54 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Forbes Reveals The Highest Paid Athletes of All-Time
52 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

0 0%
Voters: 0. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 9 years ago '04        #2021
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,689 | Props total: 474 474
Practice Report: 8/11 Morning

Randy Shannon
OPENING STATEMENT

“This morning was the first practice of our two-a-day today,” head coach Randy Shannon said. “I feel like we got some things accomplished as far as four-minute offense. I think offense and defense did a good job on both sides of the ball. The receivers came out today and really played hard and did a lot of good things for us. The last couple days they had been down, but they have picked it up and I was impressed with what they are doing today.”

NEWS AND NOTES

* Shannon is putting a greater emphasis on special teams this year because he believes games can be won and lost on special teams.

“I believe in special teams you can win most games,” Shannon said. “If you look here at the past at Miami we have won games on blocked-punts, blocked field goals, and a couple of punt returns have been big for us. We have to emphasize those things and if we are going to win games we have to do it.”

“I don’t talk about (putting an emphasis on special teams). Everybody just kind of knows it. When we start turning on film and we start seeing stuff we have done, they see the punt return and defensive touchdown and a fumble caused. Those are things we emphasize all the time.”

* LB Darryl Sharpton returned to practice today after missing a few days with an minor injury. “He practiced today,” Shannon said. “I can’t say (how he looked), he was out there flying around, but you don’t know as far as coverage and that stuff. He made a couple plays today which is good.”

* CB Glenn Sharpe practiced with the injured players today. Shannon said he is “a little sore” and “will be fine tomorrow and maybe this afternoon he can get some work.”

* Shannon on first two-a-day of the preseason and the current rules mandating a certain amount of two-a-days. “This isn’t two-a-days any more, we really just have one-a-days. This is like regular spring football so there is really no soreness. They have 24 hours to rest and they are used to it; it’s easy.”

* Shannon on dealing with injuries and working guys in with different unit personnel on offense and defense. “I am always thinking about game time. You are going to have injuries, and nicks and busted chin straps and things like that. We have to put guys in situations where they are going to work with different guys. You always do it in practice because if you do it in game time they may be shocked.

“We have been doing it for the last six years on defense and now we are doing it on offense and defense. Even on special teams we are looking at different guys each time. The more we do that the better we’ll be.”

* Shannon said he will evaluate the film for the morning practice before deciding if this afternoon’s practice is in full pads or shells. Practice begins this afternoon at 3:20.

* NFL scouts from the Patriots, Ravens, and Jaguars watched the morning practice.

Kickers In Beginning of Practice

Daren Daily: 3-for-3.

Francesco Zamponga: 2-for-2

Matt Bosher: 1-for-2. The miss came on a long field goal which was blocked by cornerback Carlos Armour, who was coming off the edge.

Injured Players

CB Glenn Sharpe, DT Teraz McCray, DT Chris Perry, S Lovon Ponder, RB Charlie Jones, DT Josh Holmes, LB Romeo Davis, and S Anthony Red*ck,.
 9 years ago '04        #2022
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
Its a wide open battle, a battle that will probably be wide open until the week of preparation for the opener against Marshall.

The position I am talking about is wide receiver.

There are at least seven players who are legitimately vying for time. They are Darnell Jenkins, Lance Leggett, Khalil Jones, Ryan Hill, Leonard Hankerson, Sam Shields and Kayne Farquharson, but more than likely, only four or five will be regulars in the rotation.

That being said, its wide open. Its good that there is competition, but is also quite a scary proposition because no one has even come close to truly separating himself.

If the ball kicked off today, my guess is that the starters would be Lance Leggett and Sam Shields. Darnell Jenkins would be the third receiver with Ryan Hill and Leonard Hankerson filling in the four and five spots. Now, imagine Jermaine McKenzie hadnt been in the car accident thats essentially ended his season. Many players were saying that McKenzie had a legit chance to start.

But what is now may not be in the next two weeks.

Looking at each of the receivers, well give a few comments about each.

Darnell Jenkins He is the old man of the group and the most experienced, however, Jenkins has not exactly had what one would call a successful career at UM. Coming out of Miami Central, Jenkins was all-world. But since hes arrived at UM, mediocre at best would be the word to describe how hes played. Dropped passes have plagued Jenkins as have injuries. Hes been inconsistent throughout his career. I dont know what makes people or coaches think some miraculous change will come about, but there seem to be a rejuvenation to Jenkins after a period of time spent away from the team. Well see what happened.

Lance Leggett Clearly the most physically gifted of the receivers, Leggetts career has been similar to Jenkins although hes been more productivity. Expectations of Leggett have been huge as he was rated as one of the best receivers in the nation in high school. He runs like a gazelle and can fly. Hes supposed to be able to stretch the field, but effort has seemed to be an issue with Leggett in the past, as have a case of the alligator arms. Hes not the strongest as he has a slim build, but Leggett has the tools. Its a matter of concentration and simply wanting it more.

Sam Shields Physically strong and very fast, Shields brings a lot to the table. He can motor down the field and has pretty good hands, although, hes had issues catching the ball at times too. Shields came in as a highly touted receiver, but the vision that people still have of Shields following his freshman year was the drop in the fourth quarter against Florida State. Shields is having a good fall camp and right now is probably the best of the group.

Ryan Hill A cornerback coming from Tallahassee Lincoln, Hill was converted to wide receiver and he did a pretty good job. He may be a little bit behind in terms of experience as a receiver in comparison to the rest of the guys as he was one of the best corners in the country coming out of high school. Hill is very fast, but hes not very big although he has gained weight and strength and is around 200 pounds. Hill does have a lot of potential to keep on getting better.

Leonard Hankerson Just a freshman, Hankerson is expected to get a lot of time this year. Hes physically really big, at 63, 210 pounds or more. Hes got huge hands and catches just about everything. For Hankerson, it will be about picking up the playbook quickly because a lot is expected of him. Hankerson has tremendous hops so he will definitely be a receiver that the quarterback wants to go especially in the red zone with the fade patterns.

Khalil Jones Now a junior, Jones is someone that really hasnt gotten much burn. Hes physically strong and has good speed, but hes not really been given a chance. Having seen him play in high school, he simply did not play on a team at Northwestern that threw the ball very much at the time. The Bulls are completely opposite now chucking it all over the field, but when Jones was there, it was primarily a running team. So he may have been a little bit behind, but at the same time, hes not done enough to make you say wow.

Kayne Farquharson Sometimes its better to be unknown than it is for everyone to know your name. Thats what Kayne is suffering through now. Unidentified teammates had made comments about Farquharson prior to Fall practice that he did a little too much talking and not enough producing during the summer. That has since changed as he has quieted his tone a bit and is maybe starting to realize that it isnt just about him, but his production on the field in practice hasnt. The fact is for all the hype of the JUCO All-American, he was expected to make an immediate splash and hes not come close. But the other reality is that he still never played a down of football in high school, so he has got to be a late bloomer no matter how great he was in JUCO. A dropped touchdown pass in Thursdays scrimmage surely didnt help his cause. The concern here on Farquharson though is that with Aldarius Johnson, Thearon Collier, Davon Johnson and potentially Tommy Streeter joining in next year, if Farquharson doesnt get burn this year, the coaches may lose him mentally.

Opinion My opinion overall is that the starters should be Shields and Leggett with Jenkins being the third guy. However, Id be quite tempted to get Hankerson in there a lot along with Hill rounding out the top five. Either way, its going to be very competitive and hopefully it can only help make the team better.
 9 years ago '06        #2023
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
$57,715 | Props total: 12260 12260
 RakimAllahNY said:
Did you guys hear anyone caught skipping class has to roll 100 yards down the field and back. Thats a Howard Schnellenberger type punishment. These guys are gonna be k!lling n*gga's when the season starts.
weight training alone makes em beast

but now this :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

in shannon we trust

:rasta:
 08-11-2007, 05:27 PM         #2024
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Is the Report from this Afternoon Available?
 9 years ago '06        #2025
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
 08-12-2007, 07:53 PM         #2026
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Coach Shannon: A Lot Of Things To Fix

August 12, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Talk about it in Gary Ferman's War Room
Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

RANDY SHANNON Q&A AFTER SUNDAY'S PRACTICE

Opening statement: Today we had some situational stuff. Some goal line, some two-minute drill, stuff like that. It went back and forth. The defense did a great job, then the offense turned around and picked it back up. So it was about 50-50 today. Guys flew around, practiced with a lot of enthusiasm. Coming off a two-a-day practice you expect them to be sluggish, but they weren't. They were flying around pretty good, so that was exciting to see those guys do that.

Q: You're a third of the way through the fall. Do you say anything to guys as far as some days they may have off days or some days they may be better?

Shannon: No. You just have to get them mentally focused. That's the one thing about when you go through summer workouts mentally guys shut it down. You've always got to keep them (focused on) the big picture instead of the small picture. Always be positive, never be negative, because once you're negative they're going to always keep going down. You always want to be positive. No matter if the worst things happen you're positive and good things will happen eventually.

Q: You gave a little pep talk today at the start of practice?

Shannon: I just told them what we expected in practice today. That's it. (I do that) every other day, three days, when I feel like talking to them a little bit.

Q: Are you where you want to be at this point in the fall?

Shannon: We've still got a lot of things to fix and work on. It's always a working process. But we'll get there. If the guys keep working the way they're doing we'll be fine.

Q: What has surprised you the most so far this fall?

Shannon: I don't know if anything has surprised me, because the expectation is always high in practice. I don't get surprises very much. I may get a little down if a guy comes out loafing around a little bit, but otherwise I don't get surprised because we expect those guys to come out and compete every day.

Q: Is it beneficial when you have a defense with so many returning players does it make the offense better?

Shannon: I think competition makes you better. You can have a lot of talent, but you can lose a lot of games if you're not going to put forth the effort and work hard every day. I think the work ethic and guys competing against each other every day, that's the biggest thing we have to do.

Q: How are the young linebackers doing?

Shannon: They're doing fine. You throw them in the fire, coach them and keep going. Coach them like they're going to be a starter and they're going to be starters.

Q: You are selling the family thing. Do you think players buy into that?

Shannon: I don't know if it's a buy into it (thing). I think they want to win games, and the only way you can win games is if everybody's on the same page and has faith and trust in each other.

Q: Is it easier to get your message across to this group than you thought it would be?

Shannon: I don't think about it. I really don't. I just try to, every day, come out here and we practice. You see something, you've to correct it and make sure guys understand the big picture and not the small picture.
 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM         #2027
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sundays Practice News And Notes

August 12, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Never miss breaking news on Miami sports and recruiting. Sign-up for CaneSport.com Wireless Text Alerts sent right to your cell phone!

With Glenn Cook out for at least the first several games of the season, the battle at weakside linebacker is heating up.

Both Spencer Adkins and veteran Tavares Gooden are receiving first team reps there.

Gooden is also filling the every-position role of Cook, working in for depth at strongside linebacker and even middle linebacker.

"I just want to play, just help out the team wherever need be," Gooden said. "I can't be selfish. I know coach (Randy) Shannon know what he's doing. Whatever the plan is, that's what I'm going to do."

Even if Gooden doesn't start, he seems a.ssured of plenty of action at any of the three positions.

"I play everything, I'm doing all three," Gooden said. "I play middle with the one group (with Darryl Sharpton still somewhat limited due to injury), and at outside I play mostly with the two group.

"I have to stay positive and just keep playing, try to learn it all in case someone goes down in the linebacker corps."

Of how Adkins is progressing, Gooden said, "He's holding it down, is going out there and flying around to the ball, playing hard. He's going to be a player for the team."

* Coach Randy Shannon gathered the team around at the start of drills and spoke for about five minutes.

"The thing he emphasized the most is go out there and play like you played when you were a little kid," receiver Lance Leggett said. "You didn't worry about how hot it was. You went out at 9 o'clock in the morning and didn't want to come in until it was 6 o'clock at night. So that was the mindset everyone was thinking about being like little kids."

* Safety Kenny Phillips says he's impressed with the corps of true freshmen.

"The freshmen are doing pretty well," he said. "They're all making plays on the offensive side, are getting to the ball on the defensive side."

He singled out safety Joseph Nicolas, saying, "He's playing a lot right now, is doing a pretty good job."

* In injury news, Lovon Ponder returned to workouts today and had an interception.

DT Teraz McCray was also back with the defense.

"He's getting back in drills and we'll go step by step with him," Shannon said.

* H-back Chris Zellner limped off the practice field at the end of the day's work favoring his left knee. There was no immediate update on his status, but it did not appear serious as he was not being attended to by trainers as he left the field.

* The team holds its second two-a-day tomorrow.
 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM         #2028
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Offense Has Nose For End Zone In Sundays Pratice

August 12, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Fifth-year senior WR Darnell Jenkins has seen the Cane offense's decline over the last four years.

And he says he's sure that decline will end this season.

"This isn't the same offense because everyone's coming in with a positive attitude, a must-do attitude," Jenkins said. "It's either you get it done, or sit down. We're competing, and it just looks like a race out there. Everyone's nervous because everyone's playing so well, and no one knows the decision that's going to come from coach (Randy) Shannon the week before the game (on the starting receivers).

"I think all the receivers are doing the right thing, and the quarterbacks, whatever his read is, with everyone running the right routes it opens it up for everybody. We're having fun the O line, receivers, quarterbacks, everybody on offense. We've come together as a whole."

The offense certainly had some big plays today, following on the heels of a strong afternoon practice yesterday.

In three overtime drills today the Cane running backs punched the ball into the end zone each time Javarris James, Derron Thomas and a walkon fullback had the touchdowns.

"The offensive line picked it up, went at the defense," receiver Lance Leggett said.

And there were big plays in the passing game throughout this morning's work. First-year WR Kayne Farquharson had the play of the day with an 80-yard touchdown in 11-on-11 work (he had a 60-yard score yesterday).

Of his touchdown today, Farquharson said, "The corner blitzed and the safety stepped up. The quarterback threw it over the safety's head, I caught it and pulled away."

Farquharson says he's currently a second-teamer, but he says he's not thinking about playing as a true freshman.

"I'm just going to work hard and we'll see what happens," he said.

Jenkins had a short touchdown today in red zone drills. That score followed on the heels of his three touchdowns in yesterday's workouts (Jenkins says he, Sam Shields and Lance Leggett are primarily sharing first team reps right now).

Khalil Jones also found the end zone today in 7-on-7's.

"We're having fun out there," Leggett said.

It wasn't total domination by the offense in today's work.

The defense stopped the offense completely in goal line work.

"They didn't get a yard," defensive back Randy Phillips said.

And there were two interceptions Lovon Ponder, who is off the injured list (he had an ankle injury), had one, and Tavares Gooden had another. Gooden also had a fumble recovery in red zone work. Ponder had another chance for an interception but couldn't handle the pass.

* Leggett says he had a good practice today.

"I had struggled for three days," Leggett said. "I was just stressing myself. I'd miss one pass, then was just getting down on myself. But coach Shannon and coach (Patrick) Nix were talking to me, said to just keep f!ghting, that you're going to have days like that."
 08-12-2007, 07:55 PM         #2029
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Swasey Weights In: The Freshman Numbers

August 12, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

Strength and conditioning coach Andreu Swasey says he's "overly pleased" with how the team is doing in the weight room and conditioning-wise this fall.

And he was impressed with the numbers the true freshman class put up when they reported over the summer and into fall drills.

Here's a rundown on the freshmen numbers:

BENCH PRESS

Harland Gunn, 390
Allen Bailey, 365
Chris Perry, 330
Adewale Ojomo, 315
Tyler Horn, 300
Damien Berry, 265
Joseph Nicolas, 275
Jared Campbell, 275
Lee Chambers, 255
Daniel Adderley, 245

POWER CLEAN

Allen Bailey, 352
Harland Gunn, 300
Tyler Horn, 242
Joseph Nicolas, 242
Daniel Adderley, 220
Jared Campbell, 220
Adewale Ojomo, 220
Demarcus Van Dyke, 176

SQUAT

Harland Gunn, 525
Allen Bailey, 500
Tyler Horn, 375
Adewale Ojomo, 365
Jared Campbell, 345
Joseph Nicolas, 345
Lee Chambers, 325
Daniel Adderley, 300
Demarcus Van Dyke, 275

VERTICAL

Lee Chambers, 39 inches
Joseph Nicolas, 37
Adewale Ojomo, 36
Allen Bailey, 34
Kayne Farquharson, 34
Leonard Hankerson, 33
Demarcus Van Dyke, 33

40-YARD DASH

Demarcus Van Dyke, 4.34
Lee Chambers, 4.40
Kayne Farquharson, 4.46
Joseph Nicolas, 4.50
Daniel Adderley, 4.59
Jared Campbell, 4.68
Leonard Hankerson, 4.71
Adewale Ojomo, 4.90
Allen Bailey, 4.93

5-10-5

Joseph Nicolas, 4.28
Lee Chambers, 4.31
Daniel Adderley, 4.32
Leonard Hankerson, 4.53
Jared Campbell, 4.55
Kayne Farquharson, 4.56
Allen Bailey, 4.65
Adewale Ojomo, 4.76

BODY FAT %

Demarcus Van Dyke, 2.7
Lee Chambers, 3.8
Leonard Hankerson, 4.4
Joseph Nicolas, 5.0
Jared Campbell, 5.2
Kayne Farquharson, 5.4
Damien Berry, 5.6
Daniel Adderley, 6.1
Allen Bailey, 7.5
Adewale Ojomo, 11.0

- Robert Marve's numbers from before his car accident: 285-pound bench, 285-pound squat, 242-pound power clean, 4.59 seconds in the 40, 33-inch vertical, 6.2 percent body fat. Jermaine McKenzie's numbers: 33.5 inch vertical, 4.68-second time in the 40, 4.6 percent body fat.

- Note that numbers for true freshmen Shawnbrey McNeal and Orlando Franklin (other than that he ran a 5.03-second 40 and has 22.9 percent body fat) were unavailable. The numbers of Doug Wiggins and Graig Cooper were included in a weight room report CaneSport.com ran in the summer (they reported in January). To review that information CLICK HERE

Swasey says of the freshmen, as a group, that "In the weight room their strength, they came in with a good base, especially Harland Gunn and Allen Bailey - you can tell there are some guys that can develop real well. They're not obese, not overweight. You look at Harland, he's coming in being able to play for us, Tyler Horn is the same way. It's definitely promising looking with our freshmen that we have."

Typically Swasey will ask freshmen what they run in the 40.

When they test you can usually add .1 or .2 seconds to their times.

"Their high schools test them, they get tested at Nike, so now kids have a consistent time on them and know what they run," Swasey said. "And I test them myself. They're coming in pretty good."

Of how ready this freshmen class is to get immediate playing time physically vs. past classes, Swasey said, "It's a trend over the years on what is becoming more of a norm everyone's starting to lift more. Now kids have better planning (in high school), know about nutrition. It's being monitored at kids' homes, some of them have personal trainers. It's just a trend, the way of the world in training to become a good athlete. If you want your kid to have an opportunity they can't be overweight, have to learn how to eat to give themselves a chance to compete for a scholarship and to play on this level at college."

- Swasey's reaction when he first laid eyes on Allen Bailey?

"Freak," Swasey said. "I mean, he's 278 pounds and verticaled 34 inches. That's amazing."

- Under Larry Coker the team would sit in rows and do stretching while they were seated on the field before practices.

Now the team does that toward the end of practice, warming up before practice with light running and standing exercises.

"That's always been in our arsenal," Swasey said. "Coach (Randy) Shannon starting out wanted to do a little changeup just to break the monotony. The thing with new change, you just want to give kids a little different changeup. It's a form of not doing the static stretches and doing mobility stuff and then doing the post-static stretching."

Swasey says the stretching they're doing now vs. the past can help eliminate tissue pulls.

And the team is also doing more warmup exercises that help reduce shoulder/rotator cuff injuries.

But there's still no stretch or strength exercise that will prevent a torn ACL.

"That's the one thing about our sport, I don't know how you prevent that what are you going to do, train a knee?" Swasey said. "Small tissue pulls, cramping can be prevented with proper stretching, balance in how you train and hydration. But talking about knees if I give you a direct blow on your knee, there's not much you can do to stop it if you're planted in the ground. We have had our misfortunes with some knee injuries, but at the end of the day you have to look at how they come back from it. Every one of our guys comes back from it, which is a credit to (Dr. John) Uribe and the rehab that our training room does and the strength phase (of Swasey's workouts)."

- Something else the team is doing for the first time: Continuing to lift after the first week of two-a-days.

"We never did it before for the full two-a-days," Swasey said. "Two-a-days is changing. It isn't the old two-a-days. (There's only three two-a-days this year) so, talking to coach Shannon, he brought it up that we'll try to lift more through this phase, continue to build strength. This is not a phase for us to down-load in the summer. This is the second stage of us getting into our competition phase. For me it's always been in the plan, but with coach Shannon starting new he's allowed me to move ahead and go full-force with it."

- Swasey's take on the strength and conditioning level of the team right now: "I think right now, with how coach Shannon is doing practice, this is the key there's an acclimation phase where you get in football condition. In the summer you're not doing that. I'm excited. When you get in football shape on top of your great summer phase, now you're dealing with an explosion. I'm overly impressed with our practice. Coach Shannon has a great tempo with them running around and playing at full speed, and I think that's going to make a world of difference in games, especially in the fourth quarter.
 9 years ago '06        #2030
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
good looks rakim

:rasta:
 9 years ago '07        #2031
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,135 | Props total: 8 8
damn gunn is strong as hell
 08-13-2007, 01:17 AM         #2032
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lee Chambers looks like an unreal athlete.. Hes gonna be one of those guys your gonna have to game plan to stop in the future. James, Cooper, Chambers and McNeal.. Gonna be scary
 9 years ago '04        #2033
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
we had no depth at RB at all last year. james was nicked up, moss was hurt/fat, but the biggest disappointment to me has been charlie jones, he broke county records in high school (which is amazing when u think of what running backs have come out of dade) and was a 5-star recruit, i thought he was gonna beast when he got to college

but we've got some good depth this year with different types of backs, we've got big, pounding runners (watch out for kylan robinson) and speedy, explosive backs who can really fly

Last edited by madness; 08-13-2007 at 01:51 AM..
 08-13-2007, 07:20 AM         #2034
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"(There's only three two-a-days this year)"

Hmm.. I thought it was five..

Guess i was wrong.
 9 years ago '06        #2035
DEDOS 121 heat pts121
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
Lee Chambers looks like an unreal athlete.. Hes gonna be one of those guys your gonna have to game plan to stop in the future. James, Cooper, Chambers and McNeal.. Gonna be scary
OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

THUG U !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 9 years ago '04        #2036
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
 madness said:
we had no depth at RB at all last year. james was nicked up, moss was hurt/fat, but the biggest disappointment to me has been charlie jones, he broke county records in high school (which is amazing when u think of what running backs have come out of dade) and was a 5-star recruit, i thought he was gonna beast when he got to college

but we've got some good depth this year with different types of backs, we've got big, pounding runners (watch out for kylan robinson) and speedy, explosive backs who can really fly
charlie jones was never that great to begin with, even in high school. Seen him play a couple times, and he didnt break no records. Mr. Gore still got those
 9 years ago '04        #2037
KiNgJaMeS305|M 58 heat pts58
space
space
$22,871 | Props total: 32 32
August 13, 2007
POLL: Pick the Greatest Hurricanes
We invite you to select the greatest Hurricanes by position.

Our finalists are the most decorated, accomplished or otherwise notable football 'Canes ever. There's also a wild-card category in case we left anybody out.

This is preliminary voting. Advancing to the 12-man Finals will be the winners of the seven positions; the three other top vote-getters; the one player most unjustly ignored in the voting (my choice); and the "wild-card"-category winner (your choice), based on your comments.

Click the link to vote
 9 years ago '04        #2038
madness 7 heat pts
space
space
space
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
charlie jones was never that great to begin with, even in high school. Seen him play a couple times, and he didnt break no records. Mr. Gore still got those
he ran for 348 yards in a game as a junior, a dade county record
 08-13-2007, 03:24 PM         #2039
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KiNgJaMeS305 said:
August 13, 2007
POLL: Pick the Greatest Hurricanes
We invite you to select the greatest Hurricanes by position.

Our finalists are the most decorated, accomplished or otherwise notable football 'Canes ever. There's also a wild-card category in case we left anybody out.

This is preliminary voting. Advancing to the 12-man Finals will be the winners of the seven positions; the three other top vote-getters; the one player most unjustly ignored in the voting (my choice); and the "wild-card"-category winner (your choice), based on your comments.

Click the link to vote

Voted.. I love Warren Sapp as a player and everything but that hes beating Jerome Brown like that is insane. And they needed to Cortez Kennedy cause he was unreal too.
 08-13-2007, 09:30 PM         #2040
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
August 13, 2007

CaneSport.com Staff

The Hurricanes are holding their second two-a-day of the fall today.

In the morning practice session a new face with the injured players was H-back Chris Zellner, who was limping and favoring his knee.

"He's injured," coach Randy Shannon said. "He'll be able to make the first game, should be back within two to three days."

Demetri Stewart, Glenn Sharpe and Charlie Jones were among those still also working with the injured players this morning.

Defensive tackles Teraz McCray and Josh Holmes also continue to be limited. Earlier this fall they were the first teamers.

"They're coming back off injury," Shannon said. "It's minor, nothing major (as far as the injury). (With them out) it gets other guys reps. So now, when those guys get reps, you make your team better. As long as they come back sometime this week we'll be fine. They'll get 10, maybe 15 days of practice in before the first game, and that's plenty."

* The first and second team offense in coming out drills this morning:

FIRST TEAM: Kyle Wright at QB; Javarris James at RB; WRs Lance Leggett, Sam Shields and Darnell Jenkins; H-back Dedrick Epps (the formation did not include a TE); OL (from left to right) Jason Fox, Orlando Franklin, AJ Trump, Derrick Morse and Reggie Youngblood.

SECOND TEAM: Kirby Freeman at QB; Graig Cooper at RB; WRs Leonard Hankerson and Kayne Farquharson; TE Richard Gordon/TE Dajleon Farr; OL (from left to right) Tyrone Byrd, Andrew Bain, John Rochford, Joel Figueroa and Cyrim Wimbs.

* Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff said after the morning session that Glenn Sharpe is close to returning to the field from injury.

"The more he practices, gets reps, that'll help his confidence and give him confidence his injuries are back to 100 percent," McGriff said. "He was doing well (before going out with a minor injury). I'm looking forward to him picking back up where he left off from."

McGriff also said there's no depth chart right now at cornerback. The team is rotating players around to see who can get the job done best.

"We haven't formulated a depth chart," McGriff said. "We have an idea, but haven't nailed down who will go with the ones, twos. You'll see freshmen out there with the ones. But it doesn't mean they're going to be there when we kick off. We're just trying to find the right chemistry."

With Lovon Ponder out a few days due to injury, McGriff said freshman Jared Campbell stepped up with more reps.

"He's coming along, is learning the plays daily," McGriff said.

McGriff said Willie Cooper is the primary backup to Ponder and Kenny Phillips at safety. Joseph Nicolas is also in the mix for immediate playing time at safety.

McGriff said of Randy Phillips that "That kid must be made of Kevlar, because you can't tell that he's having those personal problems off the field (with his brother dying recently). He's handled it extremely well. He uses football as his outlet, refuge. He has not let it affect his play at all."

Of Bruce Johnson, McGriff said, "Bruce is doing great. I really think Bruce can be a great defensive back here at the University of Miami. He's got all the tools to be a good player, and I'm really looking for him to give us a shot in the arm at corner and also at nickel."

* The team will practice in full pads this afternoon.

RANDY SHANNON Q&A FOLLOWING MONDAY A.M. PRACTICE

Q: How was the morning practice?

Shannon: We flew around a little bit, backed off a little bit in terms of time we were on the field (it was an hour-and-a-half practice). Guys did a lot of good things. We had a bunch of situational stuff, some two minute stuff, third down situations.

Q: How different will your next scrimmage be from the first one?

Shannon: Just more time on the clock.

Q: When do you scrimmage again?

Shannon: (Maybe) Wednesday. I don't look at a schedule. I show up for work and look at the schedule that morning.

Q: How are the tight ends doing?

Shannon: They're doing well. We have good competition with Dajleon Farr and Richard Gordon, Dedrick Epps, Chris Zellner. All of them can run, catch. They're big and they can block. So we're kind of excited by what they're doing right now.

Q: So there won't be just one guy at tight end that will be the guy there?

Shannon: Everyone on this team has talent. Once you try to make one guy THE guy, that guy's going to get tired. So you better make sure you have another guy to come in and step up. I remember the time we had Mondriel Fulcher and Bubba Franks. Both of them were splitting time, but both were great players because each of them were getting maybe 35 plays apiece instead of 65. When you have that kind of rotation it can wear a (defense) down. They have a lot of talent.

Q: Who are the long and short snappers?

Shannon: Ross Abramson and John Rochford, same from last year. So we don't miss a beat with that.

Q: Do you feel better about the depth on this team as opposed to the last couple of years?

Shannon: Yeah. There's a lot of guys coming back that played a lot of game situations even though they're young in age. When you have that you feel kind of confident in what you can get done. And they're competing, because they know if you don't compete that the next guy will take your position. It's nothing personal with this team, it's all about competing and being the best you can be.

Q: Talk about Javarris James.

Shannon: He's been doing fine. It's competition. You've got Graig Cooper, Derron Thomas has been picking it up a little bit. Charlie Jones got a little nicked and (Thomas) picked it up because he knows this is his opportunity.

Q: Talk about Sam Shields.

Shannon: He's a year older. You can't go in on offense and have five true freshmen starting. People have to realize you had Jason Fox, Shields, Ryan Hill moved the week of Florida State, Javarris James ... you had a bunch of young guys (playing last year). You can't win games that way consistently, because when the middle of the season comes the drudgery hits those guys. Now they understand how it is and they're running around having fun in practice.

Q: How far has Shields come in a year?

Shannon: He's improved a lot. We're not accepting anything less. He has to keep getting better each day.

Q: Shawnbrey McNeal and Chris Perry still aren't practicing?

Shannon: No, still not. They have to be cleared by physicals.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Have You Ever Met A Real Hitman?
161 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Introduction to Pizzagate
124 comments
23 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside Air Jordan 11 Space Jam On Feet
72 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Pink Toe With Ridiculous Buns
82 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Detriot Rapper TeamEastside Peezy locked up on Federal Racketeering cha..
126 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING First Official Trailers
170 comments
18 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Alien: Covenant Footage Just Screened And The Reactions Are In
29 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I can't believe I'm on this page right now....
44 comments
21 hours ago
@games
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy