Sep 13 - The East Coast Killed Hip-Hop" - Pimp C

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
94 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Game a cornball for how hard he went at Meek for no reason
63 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
34 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #81
Crazy Chi Guy 
space
space
$348 | Props total: 0 0
OH YEAH ONE MORE THING...I'M SICK OF n*ggaS FROM NEW YORK TALKIGN sh*t ABOUT WE CREATED THIS AND WE MADE THIS FAD AND THIS FAD...fu*k IF IT WASNT FOR THE RECORDS THAT YALL SAMPELDEDDDD IN THE EARLY AGES OF HIP HOP...AND THOSE RECORDES THAT YALL SAMPELDED WERE FROM RNB ARTIST FROM THE SOUTTTHHHHH AND THE MIDWESTTTTTT...YAL n*gga WOULDNT HAVE A HIPHOP SOUND...SO SHUT THAT BULLsh*t UP....AND JUST ENJOY MUSIC n*gga
 11 years ago '04        #82
RatedQue 51 heat pts51
space
space
$3,375 | Props total: 1044 1044
Somebody take me back to 95-99 when hip hop was good Heltah Skeltah, Boot Camp, Wu Tang, Biggie, Nas was still bout sh*t, Jay, the Rawkus movement, sh*t does kinda suck now. Production be saving these n*ggas
 09-14-2006, 06:48 AM         #83
howiegee  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hip hop is a form of music that we all know come from the hoods. I wouldn't say hip hop is dead. we always want fresh sh*t. The down south flavor was new and raw. east had it's time.west had it's time. there is a whole lot of ground still to uncover. we originated it and it will forever be fresh. This to, shall pass.
 09-14-2006, 07:22 AM         #84
dlettern  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hip hop aint dead, the music just sucks right now.....wtf is pimp c talkin about?!?!?!? as if his talk about "candypaint" and "pimpin hoes" is really keepin it alive.....its like the late 80's again when california dominated then f'd things up with every other song being gang-related, it took nyc to come back with biggie, nas, and every other rapper at that time from nyc to bring respect back into hip hop and thats what will happen again.....rappers down south just mad cuz they wanna be the only ones eatin. straight up, theres sum southern rappers that r ill, but they're a handful compared to their majority.....hate if u want, but u know its true
 09-14-2006, 07:33 AM         #85
Mcmasterlock  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
New Yorkers get mad over anything,Hip-hop is dead because everybody wants to rap about crack so damn much.
 11 years ago '05        #86
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
 markmcfc1 said:
Y'all stop cryin' mayne, on the east. Y'all been eating for years... We all got grillz in our mouth, now they want grillz in they mouth on the east. I ain't trippin', do your thing. But, don't be crying that hip-hop's dead. If hip-hop's dead, it's y'all fault that hip-hop's dead. So, get your backpack, jump on the train and get your paying gig up and get in the know." (Pimp C on 97.9 The Box) (There's definitely more to Pimp C's comments, so be sure to check it out at the end of this post.)

Not unlike 50 Cent's "southern rap hurts hip-hop as a whole" statement earlier this year. The problem with these claims is that people often take a specific controversial portion and run with it, missing the message entirely. Truth be told, 50 and Pimp are both right, in a way.

I'll explain.

Inept southern rappers like D4L, Mike Jones and Yung Joc are often mistaken as being representative of the dirty south sound. Not to mention the countless "Lil' No-Names" and "Young No-Skill" wannabes out there., who make it all too easy to clown on southern hip-hop by creating half-assed ear pollutants that somehow manage to float their way to No.1.

On the other hand, some east coast (read: NY) fanatics are busy lamenting "hip-hop is dead" instead of focussing on their craft. Much like the "No Snitching" movement, the "Hip-Hop Is Dead" movement has gone from annoying to moronic. Everywhere you turn, you're greeted by this fallacious slogan. It's the title of Nas' forthcoming album and the sub-title of 50 Cent's latest diss-fest., It's the introductory skit on the aforementioned G-Unit mixtape. Virginia rapper Skillz has also squeezed a song out of it. In fact, I won't be surprised if "Hip-Hop Is Dead" t-shirts soon start circulating the internet. Yea...yea, hip-hop is dead. But, how much are we doing to rescue it from the hands of the corporate machinations that's been manhandling this business for decades? What have we done to empower those who truly care about this art form?

You see, that's exactly the type of attitude that has forced this girl named hip-hop to her grave. Hip-hop's dead because people ain't paying attention. When was the last time you actually went out and bought albums that absolutely deserve your $9.99 as opposed to buying horrible music that radio (aka pay-for-oplay) has forced onto your ears? If you're so concerned about hip-hop, why don't you go out and cop The Roots' new album Game Theory--arguably the best album of the year so far? What stops you from picking up Trae's Restless which rivals T.I.'s King for southern rap album of the year? When was the last time you paid to see V-Zilla perform live? Even though you've heard of K-Rino, have you ever bothered to send your Rick Ross' CD on vacation and give Rino's Time Traveler a spin?

Hip-hop is dead because people are terrified of change. Too cool to try new things. Look, if the only Cham you're familiar with is a pink-wearing, ear ring-rocking Harlemite, then you're probably responsible for hip-hop's death. If the only Tip you'll ever listen to is the guy from A Tribe Called Quest, maybe you should be arrested for k!lling hip-hop. If you've already dismissed Young Dro as an off-brand version of T.I. without having heard anything besides "Shoulder Lean," then it could be your fault that hip-hop's dead.

Don't get it twisted, though. I've always had an ecclectic taste in music. To paraphrase Luda, Rizoh's universal, never limits himself to the south. But, my point is that people need to embrace new sounds instead of tearing it down. Stop whining about what region's really running things (or should be running things). It's time to start paying attention to the MUSIC

Get the fu*k outta here. I'm sick of this conversation, all these fu*kin internet "know it alls" can eat a d*ck. Hip Hop aint dead its just headlined by the likes of voices such as Young Joc. As a new artist...he sells close to platinum on his debut with roughly 700,000. Busta Rhymes a veteran struggles to go gold. It is what it is. The youth is going to gravitate to what they like. Blame the school system. Blame the parents. Hip Hop is far from dead. The majority is just being expressed in a different voice. Hate it or Love it...
 11 years ago '05        #87
Bobby's World 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,742 | Props total: 4818 4818
 dlettern said:
hip hop aint dead, the music just sucks right now.....wtf is pimp c talkin about?!?!?!? as if his talk about "candypaint" and "pimpin hoes" is really keepin it alive.....its like the late 80's again when california dominated then f'd things up with every other song being gang-related, it took nyc to come back with biggie, nas, and every other rapper at that time from nyc to bring respect back into hip hop and thats what will happen again.....rappers down south just mad cuz they wanna be the only ones eatin. straight up, theres sum southern rappers that r ill, but they're a handful compared to their majority.....hate if u want, but u know its true

EXACTA-fu*kIN-MUNDO. I totally agree. This sh*t is the 80's all over again. All these fu*kin f*g**ts running around. All that androgyny sh*t is back. Muthafu*kas is wearing blazers and belt chains and sh*t. Muthafu*kas walking around with tight a.ss jeans on talkin bout oh its "E Saint Leron" or whatever the fu*k! Yo it is what it is. Hate it or Love it...
 09-14-2006, 09:28 AM         #88
DJ1Mic-KingOfPA  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 C.R.I.P. said:
grills originated down here tho..
NO WAY

88 flav was in crown heights rockin gold fronts...

94 wu tang was out in the island ghost had plats, rae had plats

down south didn't start fu*kin wit dat sh*t till like 96-97
 11 years ago '06        #89
loudobbs 
space
space
$454 | Props total: 8 8
 markmcfc1 said:
Y'all stop cryin' mayne, on the east. Y'all been eating for years... We all got grillz in our mouth, now they want grillz in they mouth on the east.
Man doods in the east have had grills in they mouths forever son. And hiphop aint dead its a matter of what you choose to listen to, go kop
Serius Jones - King Me (The Official Street Album) &
Shinobi - Back Against The Wall (Hosted By DJ L-Gee) Mixtape
 11 years ago '04        #90
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,414 | Props total: 6439 6439
hip hop isnt dead. the way it is right now it will never be. i would be tired if there qwas only one style out but there are so many now. its just evolving
 11 years ago '04        #91
CrAkKedOuT 961 heat pts961
space
space
space
$23,674 | Props total: 15140 15140
[QUOTE=Djkommish6]shut up HIP HOP IS DEAD, because the machinist as you said DID indeed force us to listen to CRAP D4L ISH!!!/QUOTE]
do they really "force" you people to listen to the music? IMO no!. If you dont like whats being played on the radio then dont listen to that station or the radio in general. Expand your musical horizon by gettin into the underground scene. So much talent there its rediculous.

I can honestly say I havent listened to the radio for a couple of years now. Hot97 played the same songs everyday at the same time. The same old 5 "old skool" songs. Power105 isnt any better either.

All I do is hit up these forums and look for that underground talent that needs to be heard and then spread the word about them.

Last edited by CrAkKedOuT; 09-14-2006 at 10:20 AM..
 11 years ago '05        #92
caliblacc 1 heat pts
space
space
$942 | Props total: 71 71
now the east now how the west felt about when they got all the spins on the radio for the past 20 30 years westcoast had the torch for a brief time in the late 80's and early 90's but the east didnt give a fucc about the west after that. So I agree stop bi*chin stop cryin hip hop is hip hop
 09-14-2006, 10:53 AM         #93
wizard420  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
if you listen clear
have an I for detail and efficient ear
i won't disappear
i'm keep on givin
keep bein driven
keep on livin -masta ace "long hot summer" 2004

hip hop is only dead 2 those who don't fu*k with
common,the roots, mos def,kweli,kanye,nas,Jay-Z,Lupe,luda just 2 name a few...
get your mind right boys
 09-14-2006, 11:01 AM         #94
buddakon  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Unkleluc said:
We aint forced to listen to sh*t, uall choose yall paths..the only garbage rappers i jam to is Cam'ROn..all That "Laffy crappy" sh*t is a.ssdenine

about 90% of the songs played on the radio, are garbage or re-run songs that are so overplayed, the song itself loses all effect.
Dude, i dont care wat any1 else says, lil' jon is not a rapper. i dont know wat to fukin call him, but if i hear snap your fingers, i will go insane.
 09-14-2006, 11:05 AM         #95
sym007  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 daone2fear said:
First of all, Hip Hop is not DFL, Jay-Z, or any other rapper. Hip Hop is a culture. Rap is the music of Hip Hop. Graffiti is the art, so forth and so on. Now, rap music is just that "MUSIC". It's an art form. If there was only one style of rap it would be boring. Really boring. For every outkast you need bone thugs n harmony. For every Young Joc you need Lupe Fiasco. It's an art form. What if all the great painters or all the great writers wrote the same. BoOOOO. They don't for a reason. Some books you like some you don't. Some people love romance novels, some love murder mystery novels. Just like beauty can't be defined (no matter how hard people try it's truely in the eye of the beholder), you can't define Rap Music. You just can't. Some people like this, some people like that. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion. There is no way that I will say something is wrong for Rap music just because I don't like it. No way. If D4L is selling then obviously there is someone that likes it. Just listen to what you like. That's it, plain and simple. Hip Hop isn't dead by far. Neither is the music of hip hop (rap). You can tell the difference between Marvin Gaye and Teddy Pendegrass right. That's the beauty of music. Differents styles. The same applies to rap music. Some like the strong vocals of Teddy some like the smooth vocals of Marvin. But you won't here people saying oh Marvin is wack because he sings smoothly or Teddy is trash because he yells. People who down any type of rap music are the ones that are k!lling "hip hop (rap)", to use the common catch phrase of idiots. You don't have to sh*t on it, just don't like it. For the record my favorite Rapper to listen to is J, my favorite of all time is PAC. My fav groups are BTNH, Outkast and NWA.

Also, there is nothing wrong with commercial rap music. It is need for without it Rap music would suffer as a whole. Listen to jay on Moment of Clarity. You need people like him and Talib. These rappers that are commercial make the money to keep this thing important and in the eyes of the public. They are "commercial" if that's what you want to call it. But that helps build companys that employ lots of black men (minorities). Rocafella, murder Inc, Ruff Ryders, No Limit, Cash Money, G Unit, Aftermath, Ruthless Records, Def Jam, So So Def, Disturbing the Peace, Grand Hustle, Slip and Slide, Rap-A-Lot...the list goes on. All these are commercial a.ss label. But we all love them. They all offer something different.

this statement should officially close the thread. enough is said. hip-hop is dead is more of a catch-phrase to express the essence of the golden era of hip-hop being at an end and the older flavor not heard throughout mainstream before the further exploitation of recent hip-hop than hip-hop as a whole being dead. hip-hop is dead is a means of a way to inspire people who enjoy the roots of hip-hop to emphasize it more into creating more knowledgable music into making people think. but hip-hop has formulated into different styles and aspects which the attention is now focused more towards the south and is being shared with them. the music business is about selling a product and whatever means necessary to do it. like life's cycle, thing's change and what goes around comes back around. without the bad there would be no meaning of good. everything must have balance to maintain for further existence. and like this guy said, everyone has there own opinion and has there own interests. it's just sometimes, we get influenced by change, in which is part of human nature.
 11 years ago '05        #96
Clutch City Kid 139 heat pts139
space
space
$28,267 | Props total: 28691 28691
anyone who thinks real hip hop is dead....do yourself a favor and go bump some Blue Scholars or some Boom Bap Project....hip hop is alive and running, yall just gotta start sampling more artists you normally wouldnt...
 11 years ago '04        #97
336db336boy336 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,070 | Props total: 556 556
grillz came out way before the 80's........ya'll just had pull out and the south had perminents...........ya'll talk about the snap sh*t but ya'll started the dancing sh*t wit the HARLEM SHAKE and now ya'll got CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP.................every rapper from the south dont rap like D4L, AND LIL JON and the other 1 hit mutha fu*kas.................we got real n*ggas that can spit to...........luda,jeezy,outkast,goodie mob,scarface, ugk, young dro,t.i., rick ross, trick,lil wayne, young buck.............so its both sides east wack n*ggas, south wack n*ggas, west wack n*ggas.....................hiphop is alive and will always be just open your ear to the real sh*t and request the real sh*t and support the real sh*t cause thats the only way the radio's are going to know what to put out there...................just my opinion

Last edited by 336db336boy336; 09-14-2006 at 11:17 AM..
 09-14-2006, 11:21 AM         #98
Kboiwonder  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
pimp c need to go some where wit that bullsh*t cuz if it wasnt for the east coast he wouldnt be rapping (the east coast orginators of this art form) and i do believe it was my n*gga HOV (JAYZ) who help bring these n*ggas outta the dark underground wit wack a.ss n*gga like lil flip Garbage houston,lol. And i do believe its the south coming out wit these wack a.ss dance tracks like
"laffy taffy"(d4l)
"lean wit rock wit it" (DMFB)
"walk it out" (unk)
which are all garbage has nothing to do wit hip hop or any lyrical content besides put words together that rhyme MEANING NOTHING!!!!!!! besides T.I., Lil wayne, n my mia n*gga Rick Ross the south is wack!!!(honorable mention paul wall, slim thug) everybody can't do it like 50 n the unit, by keeping it hood n commercial makin it for the streets n for the airplay its call Talent
(by the way lookout for the hot southside jamaica queens NYC eastcoast sh*t from my n*gga LLOYD BANKS Rotten apple 10/10/06 hottest n*gga out) CHEA!!!!!!!!!!!!
 11 years ago '04        #99
336db336boy336 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,070 | Props total: 556 556
besides T.I., Lil wayne, n my mia n*gga Rick Ross the south is wack!!!(honorable mention paul wall, slim thug) everybody can't do it like 50 n the unit, by keeping it hood n commercial makin it for the streets n for the airplay its call Talent
What? n*gga u is fu*kin crazy.......................the east got some wack mutha fu*kas just like the south got some wack mutha fu*kas....................but dont lable the south off of:dj unk, lil john, dem franchise boys, and d4l music..................ya'll started the dancin sh*t like i said before with the harlem shake so dont criticize the south for doing the same sh*t ya'll did...................we just watched ya'll get money doing real gansta rap and lyrical rap and dancing then we did some dancing tracks and some gangsta sh*t and some lyrical sh*t..................its a big a.ss cycle(ya'll time is coming again) then when ya'll time is up we coming again..........................plain and simple

Last edited by 336db336boy336; 09-14-2006 at 12:03 PM..
 09-14-2006, 12:32 PM         #100
ejj241  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
To say the music coming out today is bad is just dumb. Its different for sure and some of it sounds good and some sounds bad, like any genre of music. Hip Hop is alive and well with the south boys getting paid like they have always done and for some reason new york feels very threatened so they say hip hop is dead. Everyone should just shut up, go in the studio and start recording tracks that actually say something. There is a lot of good b00ty music out there and its good for the clubs but again alot of the rappers arent saying anything worth really hearing. Just my opinion.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
75 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
85 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
115 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of “I’m not racist”
103 comments
1 day ago