Denver Broncos Official Discussion Thread **2006 Season**

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
61 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Tay K has signed a record deal with 88 Classic Records worth millions.
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
136 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
69 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #141
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
$11,499 | Props total: 155 155
Smith, Walker providing Plummer, Broncos with a dual receiving threat

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
September 28, 2006

ENGLEWOOD - It was a joke; at least, Rod Smith chuckled after saying it.

And, like all good humor, it might have been funny because there was a sliver of truth underlying the comedy.

Smith on Sunday was addressing the early-season, big-play emergence of fellow Broncos receiver Javon Walker.

He then related a conversation the two recently had.

"I tell him my job is to try and keep the sticks moving. I play 10 1/2 yards at a time," Smith said, referring to catches that produce first downs.

Then, speaking of Walker, the team's splashiest offseason acquisition, Smith added: "He plays 45 yards at a time."

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"The thing is, it works" Smith said.

It works because Smith isn't the kind to cause a stink about someone moving in on his turf.

There's no question Smith has been the Broncos' go-to receiver since the 2001 opener, when Ed McCaffrey shattered his left leg against the New York Giants.

McCaffrey returned the next season but wasn't completely the same after the gruesome injury.

Ashley Lelie was drafted in 2002 to potentially take Smith's place as the No. 1 receiver but failed to progress.

All Smith has done since is produce 1,000-yard receiving seasons in four of the past five seasons and cement his top-dog status on the depth chart.

But for the first time in a while, Walker at least has opened for discussion whether Smith has been surpassed as the top target, even if three games probably isn't a representative sample.

"I'd like to say we have two No. 1s, really," said veteran safety John Lynch, a co-captain with Smith. "They're great complements to each other. And they're both explosive."

That top-dog designation never was the driving force for Smith in a look-at-me NFL environment in which the cameras Sunday panned in on frustrated Cincinnati receiver Chad Johnson while two teammates hauled in touchdowns while the Bengals were leading at the time.

That isn't how Smith operates, which only helps because Walker is moving in on his turf.

It helps, too, that while Walker might at least be positioning himself to take over Smith's mantle, he isn't caught up with labels.

"I don't really get into all that. I just try to make plays when my number's called," Walker said. "I could be a No. 3, and I'm going to make a play, regardless. No. 1, No. 2, No. 3. It doesn't matter."

During Lelie's work stoppage during the offseason - largely driven by Smith's presence, Walker's acquisition and their effect on Lelie's depth-chart placement - Smith said being the team's top wideout is hard to quantify in a team game.

"To be honest, statistically, I led this football team in yards, catches and touchdowns probably every time except once or twice the past nine years, and when I was playing with Ed McCaffrey, I was always considered the No. 2 receiver," Smith said shortly after the draft in April. "Even though my numbers were better than his.

"But you know what? You never heard me say anything about it because that's not important to me. What's important to me is winning football games."

This season already is bearing similarities to McCaffrey's and Smith's coexistence during their heydays.

Smith and Walker each have made 11 catches, with Smith averaging 8.5 yards a reception and Walker 22.7.

Play-calling, defensive matchups and reduced playing time because of concussion symptoms have contributed to Smith's lower numbers.

Walker's first touchdown in a 17-7 victory Sunday against the New England Patriots came in single coverage by cornerback Ellis Hobbs, and quarterback Jake Plummer took advantage.

Walker's second touchdown, an 83-yarder, occurred with the Patriots in a cover-2 scheme in which a reserve safety cheated too far inside.

"I'm feeling good," Walker said. "And it's like I've always said: For a receiver, if you can just get opportunities to make plays, you try to do that. That's the confidence I had in Green Bay, and it's the confidence I'm trying to bring here. I look at Rod, the defense, and when guys are making plays, it just becomes contagious."

Assistant head coach Mike

Heimerdinger oversaw the McCaffrey-Smith combo as receivers coach in the late 1990s and sees similarities.

The Broncos offense is about attacking defenses, and what they play determines who gets the ball. Having Smith and Walker eases the game-planning burden because each is a complete receiver.

"You don't have to design anything. It's balanced," Heimerdinger said.

"The only thing I have to compare it to is in Tennessee, I used to have to design things to get Derrick Mason the ball. He was our No. 1, and we worked around that. Here, we have two guys that are capable, so you can balance stuff up and take advantage of coverages."

The way Lynch sees it, Smith's turn downfield will come, even if the receiver is the "10 1/2-yard guy."

"I don't know when it's coming, but we're going to see that Rod Smith for 70, 80 yards," Lynch predicted. "He hasn't lost that."
 09-30-2006, 10:51 AM         #142
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 datdude41 said:
If the Raiders offense played the Raiders defense...both sides would lose.

Ahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahah!!!!!
 11 years ago '04        #143
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
thats brutal, but hey you know who I am a fan of tomorrow

I AM A BALTIMORE RAVENS FAN FOR A DAY, SMASH THEM CHARGERS PLEASE!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!
 09-30-2006, 05:56 PM         #144
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
lol the ravens D will give LT a hard time cuz the passing game is not there in san diego
 09-30-2006, 06:34 PM         #145
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this is a season thread... it runs all through the 06 season.
 09-30-2006, 06:40 PM         #146
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
:eek:
 11 years ago '05        #147
BlastttOFF 
space
space
$2,768 | Props total: 18 18
 DrunkenMonkey58 said:
lol the ravens D will give LT a hard time cuz the passing game is not there in san diego
there not gonna stop LT. they might slow him down but there aint no way theyre stopping him. hes not gonna wear down either cuz he's probably gonna split touches with Turner.

ravens gonna be in trouble tomorow.
 11 years ago '04        #148
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
 89s Pied Piper said:
i know but its for the broncos. broncos fukin lick testies
and now that Vince Young is starting for the Titans, the Oakland raiders are the official worse team in the NFL. no contest :applause:
 11 years ago '04        #149
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
okay what a day for the Denver Broncos

2-1 Broncos (2 win streak)
2-1 Chargers (1 lose streak)
1-2 Chiefs (1 win streak)
0-3 Raiders (3 lose streak)

thanks crows, but now its time for you to face a real football team, prepare to encounter the Orange Crush and the dynamic offense of Mike Shannahan.

Next Monday, we will see who has the best Defense in the AFC!!

I can't wait.

Last edited by K1; 10-01-2006 at 07:13 PM..
 10-01-2006, 07:18 PM         #150
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BlastttOFF said:
there not gonna stop LT. they might slow him down but there aint no way theyre stopping him. hes not gonna wear down either cuz he's probably gonna split touches with Turner.

11 years ago '04        #151
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
Ravens D still allowed 150 yards rushing, they got trouble if they don't stop Denver's run game.
 11 years ago '05        #152
Link4444 
space
space
$1,008 | Props total: 30 30
How the fu*k is Tatum Bell still 2rd in rushing after a bye week and sharing carries? Guess Tatum was the best choice.
 11 years ago '04        #153
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
 Link4444 said:
How the fu*k is Tatum Bell still 2rd in rushing after a bye week and sharing carries? Guess Tatum was the best choice.
lol nah, the stats diddnt update yet.

but yeah Tatum is the best choice.

Last edited by K1; 10-02-2006 at 04:28 AM..
 11 years ago '04        #154
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
Here are the updated stats through Week 4, what I did was compared stud RBs who only played 3 games like Tatum, yeah these stats might not mean much its only after Week 4, but I thought it be a cool thing to post we diddnt play but Tatum Bell is still in the top 10 with rushing yards with 295 tied at 9 with Larry Johnson but get this LJ has 16 more carries than Tatum Bell, they both only played 3 games, personally I thought that was a nice stat since LJ was so hyped for goin for 2000 this season, keep in mind all RBs I am comparing only played 3 games.

Tatum Bell 58 carries 295yds YPG: 98.3 - 5.1avg
Larry Johnson 74 carries 295yds YPG: 98.3 - 4.0avg

Tatum Bell has the highest rushing avg in the league at 5.1 ypc (50 touch minimum) behind him is Laurence Maroney with 4.9 ypc.

This one don't mean much considering we only had 3 games but Tatum Bell is averaging 98.3 yards a game, thats tied with LJ for 2nd in the league, first is LT with 100ypg.

The guy we traded away for Champ Bailey and a draft pick (which we obtained Tatum Bell) both only playing 3 games.

Clinton Portis 53carries 237yds YPG: 79.0 - 4.5avg
Tatum Bell 58carries 295yds YPG: 98.3 - 5.1avg

We got a future stud RB and a future HOF corner for Portis not too shabby huh.

really only downfall is Tatum hasn't found the end zone yet this year, but he will does that mean he sucks? No does Warrick Dunn suck? no he also hasn't found paydirt yet but hes the leagues 3rd best rusher over 4 games. People need to stop saying Tatum sucks cause he hasnt found the end zone yet this year

oh yeah and LT only rushed for 5 more yards than Tatum in 3 games on 74 carries, and the chargers played the raiders, titans, and ravens.

LaDainian Tomlinson 77carries 300yds YPG:100 - 3.9avg
Tatum Bell 58 carries 295yds YPG: 98.3 - 5.1avg

I think Tatum can win the rushing title if he stays healthy he can put 100yds up each game I bet. :applause: even if he doesnt win the rushing title, he will still be a good RB for us if he stays healthy he can be a stud RB

Last edited by K1; 10-02-2006 at 04:29 AM..
 10-02-2006, 07:12 PM         #155
DrunkenMonkey58 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BlastttOFF said:

:wow: :wow:

11 years ago '04        #156
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
I love how we get no respect from the media, ahaha I love it cause watch when we start winnin more games they gonna hop on the bandwaggon.
 10-04-2006, 07:33 AM         #157
sebastian 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 K1Entertainment said:
I love how we get no respect from the media, ahaha I love it cause watch when we start winnin more games they gonna hop on the bandwaggon.
It's that way every fu*king year, it was even that way when we won back to back superbowls & TD was running for 2,000 yards.
 11 years ago '04        #158
K1 68 heat pts68 OP
space
space
space
^true

MONDAY WHERE YOU AT?!??!?

hurry the fu*k up!

Last edited by K1; 10-07-2006 at 04:21 AM..
 10-07-2006, 06:40 AM         #159
ill800 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you denver fans ready to be dissappointed?
 11 years ago '04        #160
OnTheReal 
space
space
$4,220 | Props total: 495 495
I'm starting to get amped baby WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ill800

We gonna do this son.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Get abused in an employee meeting brehs lol
48 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
105 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
74 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Jeezy dissed Ralo on "Respect" , i told Ralo and its about to go down.
274 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Dustin Hoffman Accused of Sexual Misconduct by 5 More Women, Includin..
36 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside F*ck That: Atlanta Businessman Breaks Down How Crazy Expensive Is It to..
65 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
179 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
66 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy