most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
128 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
115 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-16-2006, 02:40 PM         #141
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Jerome Bettis Caring for Kids All-Star Event

Former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis will host the Inaugural Jerome Bettis Caring for Kids All-Star Event on Friday, Sept. 8 at Heinz Field.

Quarterback Charlie Batch will be presented with the first Jerome Bettis Award for Humanity and Community Service. This annual award will presented to a Pittsburgh individual who demonstrates the image of the award title. Batch was chosen because of his commitment to his hometown of Homestead, PA by bringing to the area programs for the children through his Best of the Batch Foundation and upgrading basketball courts and football fields for the kids to use.

Tickets can be obtained through email -- or phoning 412-913-5957.
 08-16-2006, 09:56 PM         #142
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
just seen the new preview bens hand is rapped up ahhh wut happend?
 08-17-2006, 12:46 AM         #143
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
He hit it on like one of the last two days of practice on a shoulder pad. Practice was like 5 minutes away from being over. It really sucks but I think he will be ok. Coach Cower said that it dident seem like it was going to be that big of an injury so im hoping the best. Maybe his super healing strenght will kick in again and he will be ok in a few days
 08-17-2006, 04:57 AM         #144
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^ haha yeah lets hope.. but this yeah atleast maddox aint goin b r back up! the homestead kid can handle it if he gots to
 08-17-2006, 01:08 PM         #145
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Another good day buys a perk
Thursday, August 17, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. – Two good days in a row bought them some extra time tonight.

After Wednesday's second of two practices, Coach Bill Cowher called the team up and announced that curfew was going to be extended for one night. The cheer that resulted was as loud as anything heard from the fans lining the hillside today at St. Vincent College.

"There was an extended curfew, which at this point in camp, was a positive statement from their perspective," said Cowher. "This has been two good days. We have Family Night tonight, and there are no meetings.

"It's been a good camp. These guys are working very hard. I think we're getting a lot done. We've picked it up. Young guys are starting to get as better feel for what they're doing. You can sense that. The speed was always there with the first groups, but you're seeing it permeate through the team, where guys are starting to become more comfortable with what they're doing. "

INJURY UPDATE: "Sean Morey (wrist) injured it yesterday when he was blocking on a play," said Cowher. "He has a cast on it. He may be out here (Thursday) with it, he may be able to play on Saturday. We'll a.ssess it, but right now we don't think it's anything real serious.

"I think Ben (Roethlisberger) hit his thumb on the second-to-last play that he was in there on a shoulder pad. We'll look at it and a.ssess it. I'll have more information (Thursday).
"Duce (Staley) just needed a day off. He's at this point, and we have to take each guy subjectively. He's worked good. He'll be back out (Thursday)."
 08-19-2006, 02:18 PM         #146
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Roethlisberger listed as day-to-day
Friday, August 18, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Ben Roethlisberger is listed as question for Saturday's preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings at Heinz Field with a thumb injury he suffered in practice on Wednesday.

He is listed as day-to-day, but head coach Bill Cowher indicated the injury should not require any further testing.

Roethlisberger was bothered by an injured thumb last year when he helped lead the team through the playoffs and to a win in Super Bowl XL. He joked after practice on Thursday that some might not see the latest injury as such a bad thing because of that.

"I played all last year with a broken thumb, so I could do it," said Roethlisberger. "I'm sure there are some fans out there happy I did this again."

Roethlisberger did not practice on Thursday, allowing the thumb to rest.

"It's one of those things, we're going to let it heal up," Roethlisberger said. "It's just a strain of the ligaments. It's a good day to take a day off and let it heal. We're going day by day. It feels better than it did yesterday and, hopefully, tomorrow it will feel better than it did today.

"It's all right. I think we're going to be okay. It's like getting a day off."

Quarterback Charlie Batch will see action with the first team on Saturday if Roethlisberger does not play.

"I have to take advantage of these opportunities because it might be the only opportunity to work with the starters throughout the course of the season," said Batch. "We'll take it day by day and see what happens."

"Mr. Right Now," The PovertyNeck Hillbillies video featuring Roethlisberger, will make its national TV debut at 5:55 p.m. Monday on the Great American Country (GAC) music video channel.
 08-19-2006, 02:23 PM         #147
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Heinz Field Management Issues Advisory for Saturday's Steelers Game

Steelers Team Pass Brings You A Game Day Experience

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers and Heinz Field management remind fans attending the Steelers preseason opener against the Minnesota Vikings Saturday night about some traffic and access matters.

Kickoff for Saturday's game is 8 p.m. Fans are encouraged to arrive early to allow enough time to pass through stadium security. All fans entering Heinz Field will be subject to full pat downs.

The Coca-Cola Great Hall and the South Plaza (Gates A and B) will open at 5 p.m. — three hours before kickoff. Gate C (access to the seating bowl, club lounges and suites) will open at 6 p.m.

Fans are also reminded of the following stadium policies:

· Coolers, bags, backpacks and large purses (larger than 8˝ by 11) will be prohibited. Small purses, fanny packs, small camera cases and binocular cases and diaper bags will be permitted, however, all bags are subject to inspection. All bags that do not pass security must be returned to vehicles. In addition, Thermoses will not be permitted in the stadium.

· Media must present identification and check-in prior to being admitted to the stadium.

Parking

Fans without pre-sold parking and cash parkers arriving after late afternoon, should utilize parking areas in the Golden Triangle, Station Square or one of the Port Authority's Park and Ride Lots.

For $5.00, convenient Golden Triangle parking is available at eight (8) Pittsburgh Parking Authority Garages, the Mon Wharf and the Convention Center. Private garages with $5.00 parking include the Blattner-Brunner Building, the PPG Building, Fifth Avenue Place and US Steel Building.

From Downtown parking lots, fans can access Heinz Field via sidewalks on the Roberto Clemente Bridge and the Ft. Duquesne Bridge.

Reserve, pre-sold parking lots around the stadium open at 3 p.m. Tailgating is permitted in the pre-sold lots surrounding the stadium.

Public Transportation

The Port Authority will operate a shuttle bus between the First Side garage and Heinz Field for $1.25 one way. The Port Authority will route most buses destined for Heinz Field and after the game via the Clemente Bridge, providing convenient shuttle service. Shuttle stops include the Clemente Bridge, at the Byham Theater, Liberty Avenue at Heinz Hall and opposite the Wood Street "T" Station.

Fans can board the "T" at the First Avenue Station and ride free to and from the Gateway Center Station. The Gateway Clipper Fleet Steelers shuttles will operate from Station Square, where approximately 3,000 parking spaces are available.

Postgame Traffic

Police will operate three lanes of the West End Bridge southbound for vehicles exiting the game. Fans exiting east to I-376 should use the left lane (third lane from the right). Fans exiting to Route 50 via Route 60 should also use the left lane. Fans exiting south to I-279 and routes 51 and 19 should use the right lanes.

Also, after the game, Allegheny Avenue will be northbound only, from Reedsdale Street to Ridge Avenue, with the right lane leading to the Ft. Duquesne Bridge only. Further, the right, curb lane of General Robinson Street eastbound, from Mazeroski Way to Federal Street, will be for buses only.

Fans exiting to East I-376 from the Golden Triangle are directed to the Blvd. of the Allies entrance heading eastbound toward Oakland.

Fans exiting from Station Square southbound can now use the new Wabash (HOV) Tunnel. No limitations on the number of occupants after Heinz Field events. At the south end of the Tunnels, at the junction with Rte. 51, turn left to Rte. 51 South and Rte. 19 South via West Liberty Avenue (Truck Rte. 19); turn right to South I-279, Greentree Road, Rte. 50 and Rte. 60.
 08-19-2006, 02:27 PM         #148
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Steelers vs. Vikings
TODAY August 19, 2006, 8:00 PM Heinz Field KDKA-FSN Pgh

KDKA-TV (Channel 2) in Pittsburgh will televise the game locally. In addition, FSN Pittsburgh will televise the game.
 08-19-2006, 07:02 PM         #149
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ben will start!
 08-19-2006, 07:29 PM         #150
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
a great frist drive by the steelers ben was doin his thing the vikings just could stop us and the d was great they couldnt move the ball on there 1st drive
 11 years ago '04        #151
OnTheReal 
space
space
$4,220 | Props total: 495 495
Minnesota 17, Steelers 7

Steelers will come back down to earth this year.
 11 years ago '04        #152
jumpman2304 25 heat pts25
space
space
$14,421 | Props total: 3927 3927
we winnin
 08-20-2006, 04:28 PM         #153
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Steelers.com

The Steelers lost their second preseason game, falling to the Minnesota Vikings 17-10 at Heinz Field.

"I don't know if we made a stride," said head coach Bill Cowher. "We might have taken a baby step tonight. We did some things better than the week before. We have a long way to go in a short period of time. We still made some mistakes. We just didn't play consistent in the first half."

Ben Roethlisberger started for the Steelers despite an injured thumb suffered early in the week in practice. Roethlisberger played just one series for the second straight week, completing three of four passes for 30 yards and one touchdown.

"Ben did fine," said Cowher. "He went out there and we worked with the no huddle. He wants to do it. He had great command of it. I thought Charlie did a good job in the one-minute."

Roethlisberger had hoped to have the chance to warm-up more prior to the start of the game, but a thunder storm that delayed the starting time by 15 minutes hampered that.

"Coming into today's game it was one of those things that we said let's go out there and warm up and then see how we feel," said Roethlisberger. "It hurt having the rain and not having a chance to warm it up, but Coach (Mark) Whipple and I did some throwing inside of the tunnel and it felt good enough that we came outside."

Roethlisberger's work was limited, but he did get the Steelers on the board early with a 16-yard touchdown pass to Cedrick Wilson.

"He ran a good route," said Roethlisberger. "We did a no huddle. Pretty much the whole drive was a no huddle drive. We give the offensive line a lot of credit. It's hard to hear out there sometimes, but they blocked up the guys and the receivers got open. We got the ball to Cedrick and found the end zone."

GAME SUMMARY

The Vikings got the ball to start the game, but the Steelers defense was swarming early on. Chester Taylor was stopped for a one-yard loss by Ike Taylor on the first play from scrimmage. Brad Johnson completed a three-yard pass to Chester Taylor, but Ike Taylor came up with the stop again. On third-and-eight Johnson connected with Tony Richardson, but Aaron Smith hit him for a five-yard loss.

The Steelers started off with Nate Washington going around the left end for 20 yards on the reverse from Willie Parker. Parker went off right tackle for five yards and then Roethlisberger hit Cedrick Wilson for seven yards. Roethlisberger then found Quincy Morgan for a seven-yard gain, giving the Steelers third-and-three at the Vikings 16-yard line. Roethlisberger, lined up in the shotgun, found Wilson in the end zone for a 16-yard touchdown to take an early 7-0 lead.

It was a quick comeback by the Vikings. Johnson opened the drive with a seven-yard pass to Troy Williamson. On second and three, Travis Taylor was stopped by Troy Polamalu for a nine-yard loss, but Ike Taylor was called for a 15-yard unnecessary roughness penalty. Johnson took advantage of the penalty and moved the ball down the field. On third-and11 from the Steelers 12-yard line he found Jermaine Wiggins for the touchdown, tying the score at 7-7.

Charlie Batch came in for the Steelers on their second offensive series, but it was three-and-out, with Duce Staley gaining two yards and then Batch throwing incomplete to Wilson and Morgan.

The Vikings got the ball on their own 40-yard line to start their next drive. Johnson worked the air game and Chester Taylor moved the ball on the ground. The Vikings capped the drive with a 38-yard field goal by Ryan Longwell, giving the Vikings a 10-7 lead.

Batch got the offense in gear, with Staley gaining five yards on two carries, and then finding Verron Haynes for a 14-yard gain. Batch then hit Nate Washington for gains of 13 and 20 yards. But, on second-and-nine from the Vikings 27-yard line Batch's pass intended for Santonio Holmes was intercepted by Darren Sharper at the Vikings nine-yard line and returned 27 yards.

Omar Jacobs took over at quarterback for the Steelers to start the second half. Jacobs threw incomplete to rookie Willie Reid and was sacked for a five-yard loss in his first series.

Tarvaris Jackson, who came in for the Vikings at quarterback in the second quarter, remained behind center to start the second half. Jackson completed passes to Richard Owens for 11 yards and Steven Jackson for 11 yards, giving the Vikings a first down on the Steelers 32-yard line. On the next play, though, rookie free agent Mike Lorello got to Jackson, sacking him for a seven-yard loss. Jackson rebounded quick, completing a 26-yard pass to Ryan Hoag. Three plays later he found Jason Carter for a six yard touchdown, giving the Vikings a 17-7 lead.

The Steelers were unable to move the ball on offense, and quickly gave the ball back to the Vikings.

Mike McMahon came in at quarterback for the Vikings with 6:07 left in the third quarter. The Vikings stayed with two straight carries by Ciatrick Fason. McMahon's first two passes fell incomplete, before he completed a 42-yard pass to Carter to the Steelers 33-yard line. The defense stepped up big then, when Rian Wallace intercepted McMahon and returned it 27 yards.

John Kuhn carried the ball three straight times for the Steelers, including a key 11-yard run on third down. Jacobs hit rookie tight end Jon Dekker for 19 yards. Cedric Humes had a two-yard run off of right tackle to the nine-yard line and on third-down Jacobs pass to Lee Mays in the end zone was broken up by Will Hunter. Jeff Reed came on for the 32-yard field goal, closing the gap to 17-10.

The Vikings went three and out, and the Steelers took over at their own 18-yard line with Shane Boyd under center. Willie Reid went around left end for an eight-yard gain, and Humes had a nine-yard run for a first down. It was back to Kuhn for two short gains, and on third-and-five Jacobs pass to Walter Young was incomplete. On fourth down the Steelers were forced to punt, but the Vikings had too many men on the field, and the Steelers went for it on fourth and short. Boyd took it himself around left end for a 17-yard gain to the Vikings 39-yard line. They were not able to capitalize on the break, as Kuhn had a one-yard run, and then Boyd threw incomplete to Mays and Reid, while under pressure.

Wendell Mathis had carries of nine and four yards for the Vikings, before McMahon had two straight incomplete passes. On third-and-10, Anthony Smith applied the pressure and sacked McMahon for a 13 yard loss.

Boyd led the Steelers on a late fourth quarter drive, but on fourth-and-six Humes could not pull in Boyd's pass and the Steelers fell 17-10.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST QUARTER
TD Cedrick Wilson, 16 Yd pass from Ben Roethlisberger ( Jeff Reed kick is good), 10:12. Drive: 6 plays, 55 yards in 2:32.
TD Jermaine Wiggins, 12 Yd pass from Brad Johnson ( Ryan Longwell kick is good), 4:38. Drive: 9 plays, 76 yards in 5:34.
FG Ryan Longwell 38 Yd, 12:56. Drive: 13 plays, 40 yards in 5:33.
2ND QUARTER
None
3RD QUARTER
TD Jason Carter, 6 Yd pass from Tarvaris Jackson ( Ryan Longwell kick is good), 9:20. Drive: 8 plays, 56 yards in 4:12.
FG Jeff Reed 32 Yd, 0:38. Drive: 8 plays, 33 yards in 3:31.
 08-20-2006, 04:51 PM         #155
nasir43  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 OnTheReal said:
Minnesota 17, Steelers 7

Steelers will come back down to earth this year.

Its tha preseason, first team offense one drive one TD. 1st team D woulda shut em out barring a stupid penalty bye Taylor and they arent even all healthy or playing as intensely as they will be.

Keep thinkin that, tha Steelers arent goin anywhere.
 08-21-2006, 05:12 PM         #156
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Staley getting work during the preseason
Monday, August 21, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Duce Staley might have only 12 carries so far this preseason, but he is enjoying every one of them.

Staley didn't play in the preseason last year because of a knee injury. So, this season, every run is a step in the right direction.

"I think I'm getting there," said Staley. "The more reps you get, your timing is starting to come back and you're starting to get that feel. Things are starting to come back to me and that's what it's about."

Staley also missed time during the regular season and he feels like he has something to prove.

"I think I do," said Staley. "I think I've got a lot to prove to myself. I've got to go out there and stay confident, go out there and make sure mentally I'm focused, mentally I'm strong enough, to go out there and handle the things I can control on the field. I need to go out there and not try to do too much, go out there and see what I can do. That's important."

Linebacker Joey Porter returned to action against the Vikings after missing the Steelers first preseason game because of knee surgery he had during the off-season.

"I needed to get out there and see how I was going to feel in the real-game atmosphere," said Porter. "It held up pretty good. I was fatigued a little bit, but I feel like I can get better. Overall, it was pretty good."

Head coach Bill Cowher used Saturday's game to give the first-team offense and quarterback

Ben Roethlisberger a chance to work with the hurry-up offense. He was pleased with the results.

"We wanted to work on the no-huddle and you can see that he (Ben) wants to do it," said Cowher. "He's got great command. I thought he had a good presence out there.

"He knows what he wants to run. He has the ability to call what he wants to call. We have a chance to talk to him if we see certain things. It will be a nice option to use at any point. We wanted to work on it and be able to do it. I know he's eager to do it. It's another option that we'll have."
 08-22-2006, 05:43 PM         #157
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Not much to smile about :hang:
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. – The Steelers had just completed the seven-on-seven portion of the penultimate practice of this training camp, and Coach Bill Cowher thought it was time.

Cowher gathered the team around, and he talked to the a.ssembled players and coaches for a few minutes. If he was angry, the people watching from the sideline couldn't tell, but those who have watched him coach this team know he didn't stop practice to start throwing platitudes around.

"We had a little heart-to-heart talk," said Cowher. "I wasn't looking for an immediate effect. It was more of putting things in their proper perspective."

And then he did just that for the media.

"We're 16 days away from our first game, and it's important to understand that," said Cowher. "When we come out here, we have to get things done. There have been high standards set around here, and I have to let them know where I think they are."

Watching from the sideline, it was obvious this wasn't one of the best practices of camp. There wasn't a lot of consistency in the performances, and there were times when it wasn't very crisp either.

A receiver would make a great catch of a ball thrown a bit off target, and then a few snaps later the same guy would drop one that hit him right in the chest. It was that kind of a day, the kind of day when even Hines Ward couldn't find a reason to crack a smile.

Ward, who practiced on Monday for the first time since before the first preseason game because of a balky hamstring, did not work on Tuesday. After the session, Ward was glum when he talked about it.

"It's not 100 percent, and there's no need for me to push it until it is 100 percent," said Ward. "I just have to be smart now. It's not the regular season. I'm not going to step foot on the field until I'm 100 percent again. I don't want to continue to aggravate it."

On Monday, Ward practiced until he said he felt the hamstring "bite," and afterward he said how he felt the following day was going to tell him a lot. Obviously, he didn't like what the hamstring told him on Tuesday.

"I worked it hard yesterday," said Ward. "It's frustrating, because you are putting in the time and effort, but it's not 100 percent yet. It's day to day. Hopefully, it feels a little better tomorrow. If I don't practice, I'm more than likely not going to play (in Philadelphia)."

All over the NFL, top-flight players are missing practice with hamstring injuries. The Steelers are trying to prevent this from becoming a season-long issue with Ward.

"It's a very frustrating injury, as you can see from all around the league," said Cowher. "It's very hard to put any definitive time on these things. He did some work yesterday, and I don't think he set himself back, but we have to be very careful about this. You don't want to re-injure the thing. I told him to be patient and go through the process."

CAMP NOTES: Tuesday's practice ended with a couple of repetitions of the one-minute drill. The first session matched the No. 1 offense vs. the No. 1 defense. Ben Roethlisberger got the team in position for a field goal, which was the goal of the drill. He had Cedrick Wilson wide open for a touchdown, and the ball was on target, but Wilson apparently lost the ball in the sun and never even got his hands on it.

The second repetition turned into a showcase for Anthony Smith. On the first play, Smith sacked Shane Boyd. On the fourth play, Smith intercepted Boyd to end the drill and the practice.

INJURY UPDATE: James Harrison had his foot stepped on. He was taken up to the locker room for an X-ray, which was negative. He then returned and finished the practice … Shaun Nua returned to practice.

Last edited by flex001; 08-22-2006 at 05:44 PM..
 08-22-2006, 11:53 PM         #158
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I cant wait for the season to beggin and the steelers to shut up all the haters
 08-23-2006, 09:07 PM         #159
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Broken thumb sidelines Townsend
Wednesday, August 23, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

LATROBE, Pa. – Call it the second most famous thumb on the St. Vincent College campus.

Coach Bill Cowher said that starting cornerback Deshea Townsend broke his right thumb during Tuesday's afternoon practice session here, and that he won't play in Friday's preseason game against the Eagles in Philadelphia.

Cowher said he believes the injury happened during the red zone drill that preceded the final period of the practice. On the play in question, Townsend broke nicely on a route by Lee Mays and intercepted a pass from Shane Boyd at the 1-yard line.

"He has a slight fracture of his thumb," said Cowher. "Deshea will not play this week (in Philadelphia), and we'll take it week-to-week from there. It will not require surgery, which is a good thing."

Cowher said both Ricardo Colclough and Bryant McFadden will play right cornerback in the game against the Eagles. Colclough also is the primary backup to Ike Taylor on the left side.

Colclough was the team's second-round pick in the 2004 NFL Draft, and during his rookie season he made the adjustment from playing his college football at Tusculum to the NFL and contributed 15 tackles and 1.5 sacks while playing in all 16 games.

But by the end of the 2005 season, Colclough was passed on the depth chart by Bryant McFadden, the team's second-round pick last year. It was McFadden who was inserted in the specialty defenses down the stretch and in the playoffs; it was McFadden who was covering Marvin Harrison on the Colts' final two offensive plays in the AFC Divisional Playoff Game.

As a result, this was seen as a potentially critical training camp for Colclough. As a third-year player, Taylor made the jump to the starting lineup, and the Steelers wanted to see what Colclough was going to do in his third NFL training camp.

"(Colclough) has had as good a camp as he has had since I've been here," said Cowher. "I told after the first week that he was playing well. I said, 'You've done this in the past and then you hit a wall.' Can he sustain it? He has sustained it to this point. I'm not ready to say that he's there after playing two preseason games, but I do like the manner with which he's playing. He's a focused player. He's been a consistent player day-in and day-out on that practice field and he's been able to take that into the games. Now can he sustain that? Time will tell but I do like where he is right now."

McFadden seems to have picked up where he left off as a rookie. He is a physical cornerback who competes on every route, on every throw, and he has made his share of interceptions during the practices here.

"I know the defense a whole lot better than what I did last year," said McFadden. "I've got a better understanding of where the coaches want me to be during different calls, so that's the biggest difference from last year."

As for the game against the Eagles, Cowher said the regulars would play more than they have in the first two preseason games, but he wouldn't be pinned down to a specific number of quarters or series. He did say they would not play into the third quarter, but he added they might play the whole first half.

The competition to replace Chris Hope as the starting free safety will continue, with Tyrone Carter getting the start in Philadelphia. But Ryan Clark also should get some work with the first unit.

"I'm not ready to name a winner I guess, or name a starter at this point," said Cowher. "It's working itself out. We're gathering information every day at practice and certainly in the game. As soon as we make a definitive decision, we'll let you guys know."

INJURY UPDATE: Ulish Booker tore the ACL in his left knee, and he will be placed on the injured reserve list … Chukky Okobi (neck) won't play against the Eagles, and Cowher said there is a chance he'll be able to participate in practice next week … Isaac West (knee), Jerame Tuman (hamstring) and Hines Ward (hamstring) also won't play.

About Ward, Cowher added, "Hines isn't ready to go out there, but we're still encouraged by his progress, even though it's going slow. That's the truth. These things are really hard to a.ssess on a long-term basis. I think we've just got to be patient and we're trying to do so."
 08-24-2006, 03:04 PM         #160
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Too early to make an a.ssessment
Thursday, August 24, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers wrapped up training camp this morning and head to Philadelphia for their third preseason game. The almost four weeks spent at St. Vincent College were productive for the team, but it's still too early for head coach Bill Cowher to give a complete a.ssessment of the team.

"We've gotten quality work done out here. We really have," said Cowher. "Where we are, it's hard to say right now who we're going to be. That's all too hard to a.ssess. It's a different football team than in years past. Every year is different and as long as we understand that. This is where the foundation starts and the identity will be something that will work itself out in the first four or five weeks."

Following the Steelers final full practice on Wednesday, the players were ready for a game. But it wasn't football they were playing.

The final night of training camp meant a softball game between the offense and the defense. It was a spirited game, with those not playing sitting on the hillside cheering their teammates on.

Hines Ward pitched for the offense and Ike Taylor for the defense.

The offense came out on top 7-6, when Cedrick Wilson knocked in the winning run in the last inning with a base hit.

Bruno Sammartino, a pro wrestling legend in Pittsburgh, visited the Steelers at training camp on Wednesday.

Sammartino watched the practice from the end zone and then met up with head coach Bill Cowher after practice. The two previously met at a golf outing hosted by Mike Ditka.

"It was good to see Bill again because he told me what a big fan he used to be," said the 71-year old Sammartino. "That was very flattering to hear that from the Super Bowl coach. Certainly Bill Cowher is a legend. He has been there 15 years and taken them all the way to the Super Bowl. That qualifies him as a legend.

Sammartino, who watches every Steelers game, enjoyed his first-ever trip to camp.

"I see it on the news all of the time but this is the first time I ever came here," said Sammartino. "I am a huge, huge Steelers fan."
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
71 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
85 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
vida guerra
83 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
84 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
34 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
56 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
106 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
187 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy