The Offical Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
58 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
234 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
248 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #101
crownroyall2k 
space
space
$955 | Props total: 0 0
Phuck The Steelers!! I Hate Them!!
 08-11-2006, 09:41 AM         #102
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^ Kiss The Rings All Five Of Em!
 08-11-2006, 09:49 AM         #103
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

The Terrible Towel was created by Myron Cope during the 1975 playoffs. Myron Cope was a radio/tv personality in Pittsburgh, and had been for a long time until he recently retired. Anyway, he was looking for a way to excite the Steelers fans, and promote his tv and radio programs, and decided that he would ask them all to bring a yellow dish towel to the game and wave it. Myron made an appearance on the 11 o'clock news and passed out Towels to all the news anchors, reminding fans to bring theirs to the game on Sunday. This idea was met with some skepticism, even by the Steelers players (namely Andy Russell). Some, including Russell, claimed it was just a gimmick and the Steelers were not a gimmick team. However, come game time, the fans all showed up in force, waving their yellow dish towels. The Steelers won the game, against the Baltimore Colts, 28-10 and the Terrible Towel was born. The Steelers organization had yellow towels printed with the phrase "Myron Cope's Terrible Towel" just in time for Super Bowl X, where the Steelers faced the dreaded Cowboys. Of course, the Steelers would win that game, and the craze for Terrible Towels would grow exponentially. Nowadays, should you stop by Heinz Field during a Steeler game, you would surely see thousands of fans waving their Terrible Towels in unison. Although the Terrible Towel is supposed to be reserved strictly for playoff use, it can be seen flying throughout the stadium (home or away) during regular season and even preseason games.

Many miraculous plays have been credited to the Terrible Towel. It starts with the first appearance of the Terrible Towel in a playoff game against the Baltimore Colts in 1975. Wide receiver Frank Lewis wiped his hands on a Terrible Towel, then made an unbelievable one-handed catch. In the same game, Andy Russell returned a fumble 93 yards for a touchdown. A crazed Steelers fan would later write the following verse about this play:

He ran ninety-three
Like a bat out of hell,
And no one could see
How he rambled so well.
"It was easy," said Andy,
And he flashed a cooked smile,
"I was snapped on the fanny
By the Terrible Towel!"

The legend continues with the Super Bowl that year vs. the Cowboys. The Steelers jumped out quick and, with 7 minutes left, were up by 18 points. As the story goes, Cope stuffed his Terrible Towel in his briefcase and proceeded to head down to the locker room for post-game interviews. Well, after the Towel was put away, the Cowboys would mount a ferocious comeback, coming within 4 points of pulling out the win. All because of a towel.

Due to its popularity, the Terrible Towel has been printed in various forms over the years. A new black Terrible Towel was created, as well as Terrible golfTowels, Terrible beachTowels and Terrible Towels featuring the Steelers logo. Also, a special edition Terrible Towel was created in 2004, following Myron Cope's retirement.

Today, should you visit the Football Hall of Fame in Canton, OH, you would see three Terrible Towels hanging for all to see, enshrined for the ages.

For the record, all proceeds from the sale of Terrible Towels go to the Allegheny Valley School. The Allegheny Valley School is located in Coraopolis, PA (just outside of Pittsburgh) and serves children, adults, and seniors with physical disabilities. The sales have raised over 1 million dollars for the school.
 08-11-2006, 09:51 AM         #104
Hurricane Ra  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hope we see you n*gga's in the playoffs, its gonna be ON...

08-11-2006, 09:51 AM         #105
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Roethlisberger happy to be starting
Friday, August 11, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Ben Roethlisberger has said all during training camp that he wants to start against the Arizona Cardinals in tomorrow's preseason game.

And on Thursday, word came that he is getting his wish when coach Bill Cowher announced he will start the game.

"That was my goal, to get out there and show everybody I was ready to get out and play," Roethlisberger said. "We'll see what happens.

"I don't know what the play calls are going to be, if they're going to be all runs or all passes. I'm just going to be excited to be able to get out there and take that first snap."

Roethlisberger's playing time will be limited, but it will be a big step for him after suffering injuries in a motorcycle accident just two months ago. One of the big questions will be how he reacts to any hits, but the goal is to now put him in a situation where he doesn't have to worry about that.

"I'm always apprehensive about getting hit, regardless if I was in an accident or not," said Roethlisberger. "The best protection I have is my offensive linemen and I have all of the confidence in the world in them that they will protect me and hopefully I won't take any hits this week.

"Everyone talks about how it will be good to take a first hit. But, if we can avoid it, that will be the best thing to do until the season starts."

In addition to playing himself, Roethlisberger is looking forward to seeing how his teammates do out there. Charlie Batch will be the number two quarterback, with Shane Boyd and Omar Jacobs following him. After working in camp for two weeks, Roethlisberger wants to see them in game action.

"There will be a lot of guys I am looking forward to see how they go out and perform," said Roethlisberger. "It will be good to see a lot of the receivers and how the quarterbacks do. It will be a time for a lot of guys to be able to shine."
 08-11-2006, 10:38 PM         #106
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

"Invincible" hits close to home for some Steelers
Friday, August 11, 2006

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers enjoyed their annual movie day this week - the time when head coach Bill Cowher cancels practice and takes the players to a local theater to catch the newest releases on the big screen.

It's a good chance to get away from football for a while and just relax. But football was front and center at the theater for some of the players, who got a sneak peak at the Disney film "Invincible," the real life story based on the NFL career of Vince Papale (played by Mark Wahlberg) of the Philadelphia Eagles (1976-78).

Papale answered the call to an "open tryout" by then head coach d*ck Vermeil. The 30-year bartender and Eagles season ticket holder never played college football, but tried out and ultimately earned a spot on the team's roster.

For some of the Steelers players, the story hit close to home, including wide receiver Sean Morey, who went through a lot of ups and downs before finding success with the Steelers.

"There are just so many parts of the movie that I thought I could really relate to in his career and the things that he experienced," said Morey. "It's a culture shock coming to the NFL, but it was really worth it for me. It was a struggle and I adapted and I eventually made a team. It took me five years to make. I've been cut more times than I'd like to admit and I've really been very blessed to have the opportunity to play in the NFL.

"I just felt that the movie was indicative of the type of struggles that players go through to get to the NFL and then to make it in the NFL. I think Coach Cowher said it very well that it just gives you that respect for the game and the people who have played the game before us and the things that they went through. It's still the same game and they had to endure a lot to make a team and fulfill their dreams. I think that film really parallels a lot of the same experiences that I've had throughout my career."

First-year defensive lineman Shaun Nua, who spent most of last season on the Steelers practice squad, also could relate to the story as he came in to the NFL without a lot of people believing in him.

"When I started out, not very many people thought that I could make it this far," said Nua. "Some parts of the movie reminded me of myself and it was an awesome film. He went through a lot because he was an older guy and still had his dream and that's probably the most common thing. We both had the same dream to play in the NFL."

"Invincible" opens nationwide on Aug. 25 and running back Willie Parker plans a return trip to the theater to see it a second time.

"It motivated me," said Parker. "It was just like my career. He came the same way I came. That's why it was motivational to me. And when it really comes out in theaters, I'm going go see it again. I'm going to get it on DVD and tell my parents to go see it because it's just the way my career started."
 08-12-2006, 02:28 PM         #107
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

The Steelers open the preseason at Arizona against the Cardinals at 4:05 on Saturday. The game will be the first one in the Cardinals new stadium. The game can be seen on KDKA and FSN Pittsburgh

KDKA-TV (Channel 2) in Pittsburgh will televise the game locally. In addition, FSN Pittsburgh will televise the game.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Last edited by flex001; 08-12-2006 at 02:36 PM..
 08-12-2006, 02:30 PM         #108
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Here We Go Steelers Here We Go!!!! Pittsburgh Steeler Time!!!
 08-12-2006, 02:33 PM         #109
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
My Prediction 28-21 Steelers!
 08-12-2006, 02:38 PM         #110
nasir43  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pre-Season's kickin off fellas

Guys I'm really excited to get a look at

Santonio Holmes- for obvious reasons, hes a burner
Willie Reed- This guy needs to be our PR and KR, watchin him at FSU, damn
Nate Washington- My sleeper to be at least tha slot rec by tha end of tha year
James Harrison- dude is a monster, we need to get him on tha field as much as possible
Ben- hows he gonna look 15 lbs lighter, gotta get that first hit to tha mouth overwith
Fast Willie- supposedely put on some more weight and looks even better than last year
Bryant McFadden- gonna be tha best CB on tha team by tha end of tha year
Anthony Smith- dude can hit, eventual starter at FS
Coke- needs to take that next step, esp if we lose Ike
Omar Jacobs- see what this dudes got
 08-12-2006, 02:50 PM         #111
steadycrippn  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah i just wanna c matt leinart play .. cuz that dude jay cutler playd good for the denver
 08-12-2006, 02:51 PM         #112
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 nasir43 said:
Pre-Season's kickin off fellas

Guys I'm really excited to get a look at

Santonio Holmes- for obvious reasons, hes a burner
Willie Reed- This guy needs to be our PR and KR, watchin him at FSU, damn
Nate Washington- My sleeper to be at least tha slot rec by tha end of tha year
James Harrison- dude is a monster, we need to get him on tha field as much as possible
Ben- hows he gonna look 15 lbs lighter, gotta get that first hit to tha mouth overwith
Fast Willie- supposedely put on some more weight and looks even better than last year
Bryant McFadden- gonna be tha best CB on tha team by tha end of tha year
Anthony Smith- dude can hit, eventual starter at FS
Coke- needs to take that next step, esp if we lose Ike
Omar Jacobs- see what this dudes got
yep cant wait till game time i wanna also see wut Cedric Humes is goin do out there

Look At all The Steeler Fans In AZ Haha We Go AnyWhere For Are Team!
Correction Steeler Fans Are Everywhere

Last edited by flex001; 08-12-2006 at 02:58 PM..
 08-12-2006, 03:57 PM         #113
PrimetimePlayer  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Papale answered the call to an "open tryout" by then head coach D*ck Vermeil. The 30-year bartender and Eagles season ticket holder never played college football, but tried out and ultimately earned a spot on the team's roster.

@ them censoring D*ck Vermeil
 08-12-2006, 04:34 PM         #114
nasir43  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Happy with tha first team offense. They moved tha ball well, Ben and Parker looked really good (no homo). Taking into account tha vanilla schemes on defense im not too upset. Ike and Carter were gettin picked on. Front 7 was lookin real good.
 08-12-2006, 06:17 PM         #115
nasir43  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
How great was it to see tha Steelers on tha field again?!?!?
 11 years ago '04        #116
Drunk By Myself 
space
space
space
$1,811 | Props total: 0 0
that turd needs to get off my d*ck also...i havent been in this thread for days and hes giving me hate...

dude seriously needs a life...
 08-13-2006, 03:00 AM         #117
sOUFjERZz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
holmes looked good today but anthony smith
stole the show
 08-13-2006, 05:13 PM         #118
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

The Steelers first preseason game was not what they had hoped for, losing on the road to the Arizona Cardinals, 21-13.

"From an execution standpoint we have a long way to go and I think that was very evident tonight," said head coach Bill Cowher.

Ben Roethlisberger started at quarterback, completing three of four passes for 29 yards.

"He looked fine," said Cowher of Roethlisberger. "I liked the way he was out there. He looked good in the pocket. He made some plays. It was good he had the chance to get hit a couple of times. I told him in the future though I would rather he go down than f!ght to get free. That's what happens. You get out there and don't think about those things. It was good for him to get out there and just play. From that perspective I am glad we got that out of the way."

Kurt Warner looked sharp for the Cardinals, completing nine of 13 passes for 118 yards and two touchdowns.

The Steelers scored on field goals by Jeff Reed and Mark Brubaker and rookie quarterback Omar Jacobs found rookie tight end Isaac Smolko in the closing minutes for the Steelers only touchdown of the day.

"I was impressed with him coming in," said Cowher. "He got out there and did a nice job at the end and made a nice throw to Isaac for the touchdown."

"I thought Shane (Boyd) did some good things. He handled the one minute at the end of the first half very well."

Rookie safety Anthony Smith was a bright spot for the Steelers with two interceptions.

"Anthony Smith is a good football player. He is a natural safety," said Cowher. "He is the one kid I thought really showed up today."

One thing that did disappoint Cowher was the allowing the Cardinals to convert on eight of 13 third downs.

"Our third down was atrocious on defense."

Quarterback Stats:

CP/AT
YDS
TD
INT

S. Boyd
8/16

O. Jacobs
5/7

B. Roethlisberger
3/4

C. Batch
3/4

GAME SUMMARY

The Steelers started the game on offense with Roethlisberger leading the way for the black and gold. Willie Parker came out running, with gains of two and five yards, and then Roethlisberger hit Verron Haynes for an 11-yard gain. Roethlisberger found Parker for a seven-yard gain and Nate Washington went around left end for a 10-yard gain on the reverse.

Roethlisberger found himself under pressure from strong safety Adrian Wilson, but escaped and completed an 11-yard pass to tight end Heath Miller. Parker was the go-to guy again for a five-yard gain, but Roethlisberger's first incompletion of the game left the Steelers with a tough third-down situation from the Arizona 26-yard line. Roethlisberger, lining up in the shotgun, couldn't escape the pressure and was sacked by Bertrand Berry and Antonio Smith for a 10-yard loss.

Kicker Jeff Reed was called upon, but his 54-yard field goal was wide left.

The Cardinals came out on offense with something to prove in their new state of the art stadium. Quarterback Kurt Warner moved the offense down the field, completing passes to Larry Fitzgerald and Bryant Johnson. J.J. Arrington had a reception and was called upon in the ground game as the Cardinals moved the ball to their own five-yard line. Warner then hit Johnson for a five-yard touchdown to give the Cardinals a 7-0 lead.

As was the plan going into the game Charlie Batch came in on the second series for the Steelers offense. Batch came out firing on his first snap, completing an 18-yard pass to Cedrick Wilson. Duce Staley came in at running back, carrying the ball four times for 12 yards on the drive.

Rookie Santonio Holmes had his first catch in a Steelers uniform, reaching up and pulling in an eight yard reception.

Batch was able to move the Steelers to the Cardinals 30-yard line, but the drive stalled there and Reed came back on, this time hitting a 48-yard field goal to close the lead to 7-3.

Both teams exchanged possessions, before Warner went back to work for the Cardinals. Warner hit Anquan Boldin for a 15-yard gain. On a third-and-nine, Warner found Johnson for a 20-yard gain. Running back Marcel Shipp had four straight carries for 12 yards and then Warner went back to Boldin for a nine yard gain. Warner then capped off the drive by connecting with Obafemi Ayanbadejo for a 15-yard touchdown, to extend the lead to 14-3.

The Steelers saw their third quarterback of the first half when Shane Boyd came into the game. Boyd's first pass was incomplete over the middle to Washington. On third down Boyd lined up out of the shotgun and was forced to scramble, gaining only three yards and forcing the punt.

The defense stepped up big for the Steelers on the next drive. Rookie safety Anthony Smith, a third-round pick out of Syracuse, intercepted John Navarre's pass and returned it 10-yards to the Cardinals 35-yard line.

Boyd got his first work under pressure taking over with just 1:08 on the clock. Boyd hit rookie wide receiver Willie Reid for eight yards and then six yards. He then completed a seven-yard pass to Holmes and a 13-yard pass to Quincy Morgan. Rookie kicker Mark Brubaker then hit on a 24-yard field goal to close the lead to 14-6 at the half.

The Cardinals got the first shot on offense to start the second half. Damien Anderson came in at running back and had a four-yard gain. The Cardinals got a first down when Navarre found LeRon McCoy for six yards. The Cardinals managed another first down before the defense got stringy, stopping Anderson for gains of just one and two yards. Navarre's pass to McCoy over the middle was short and the Cardinals were forced to punt.

Boyd continued to lead the offense and on third-and-four he scrambled out of the pocket for an 11-yard gain. The offense managed another first down courtesy of a Cardinals penalty, but they sputtered and couldn't go anywhere.

It was time for the defense to step it up and it was Smith again making the big play. On first down, Navarre was looking for McCoy, but Smith went for it and came down with his second interception of the game.

Boyd completed an 11-yard pass to Holmes, but then had two fall incomplete. An illegal contact call against the Cardinals gave the Steelers a first-down and new life. After two incomplete passes, Boyd hung in the pocket and fired a bullet to Reid for a 12-yard gain. But a few plays later, Boyd's pass for Holmes was intercepted by Gerald Hayes and returned eight yards to the Cardinals 22-yard line.

The Cardinals made the interception count. Navarre hit Carlyle Holiday for six yards and then McCoy for 19 yards. It was then Diamond Ferri who went to work, with four carries for 15 yards and then capped it with a five-yard touchdown run to extend the lead to 21-6.

Rookie Omar Jacobs came into the game in the fourth quarter, but didn't find much success in his first drive. Jacobs first pass was incomplete to Sean Morey, then he came back and connected with Morey for two yards. On third down his pass was incomplete to Walter Young.

The defense shut down the Cardinals on their next drive, giving Jacobs another shot. He got rid of the first drive jitters, settled down and completed the first pass of the drive to Morey for eight yards. John Kuhn went off right tackle for 11 yards and then Jacobs connected with Morey again for 12 yards. It was back to Kuhn, who went off left tackle for nine yards.

Jacobs had a short dump off pass to Cedric Humes, who caught the pass around the Cardinals 43-yard line and then broke free down the sideline for a 33-yard gain to the Cardinals seven-yard line. An encroachment call against the Cardinals gave the Steelers the ball at the three-yard line. Humes pounded up the middle for a two-yard gain. The Steelers got a break when on the next play Humes fumbled, and it was recovered by Willie Colon in the end zone, bringing it back to the line of scrimmage.

It was then pay dirt for Jacobs and the offense, as he hit rookie free agent tight end Isaac Smolko for one yard and the touchdown in the corner of the end zone, closing the lead to 21-13, but with little time on the clock.

The Steelers tried the onside kick, but the Cardinals recovered and ran out the clock.

HOW THEY SCORED

FOURTH QUARTER

Score: Steelers 13, Cardinals 21
Play: Isaac Smolko 1-yard reception from Omar Jacobs.
8 plays, 80 yards, 3:19

Score: Steelers 6, Cardinals 21
Play: Diamond Ferri 5-yard run
Drive: 11 plays, 78 yards, 5:28

THIRD QUARTER

No scoring
SECOND QUARTER

Score: Steelers 6, Cardinals 14
Play: Mark Brubaker 24-yard field goal
Drive: 6 plays, 29 yards, 1:08

Score: Steelers 3, Cardinals 14
Play: Obafemi Ayanbadejo 15-yard reception from Kurt Warner
Drive: 11 plays, 71 yards, 5:33

Score: Steelers 3, Cardinals 7
Play: Jeff Reed 48-yard field goal
Drive: 8 plays, 54 yards, 4:14

FIRST QUARTER

Score: Steelers 0, Cardinals 7
Play: Bryant Johnson five-yard reception from Kurt Warner
Drive: 12 plays, 56 yards, 6:22
 08-13-2006, 06:34 PM         #120
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ah hahahahaha look at all those hater that dont like the fact that their team sucks and couldent take the superbowl champs down. This thread is awesome and so are the steelers all you haters
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
27 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
53 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
207 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
83 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy