most viewed right now
NBA What’s waiting for LiAngelo and LaMelo Ball in Lithuania
56 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside Dec 12 - The Alabama Special Election Live
160 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '06        #321
SHootar 48 heat pts48
space
space
$22,362 | Props total: 1784 1784
this was a joke of a game

pitts o-line got dominated like i've never seen an o-line get dominated b4.

pretty much 85% of the drop backs there was a free rusher at the QB lickin his chops. it was disgusting.

why they didn't put ben in the gun in the very first quarter is beyond me.
 11-26-2006, 04:06 PM         #322
ChlnChiefn  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ravens
 11 years ago '04        #323
OnTheReal 
space
space
$4,219 | Props total: 495 495
RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from the game.

fu*kin sorry a.ss squeelers.

Your team sucks, your season is over, Big Jen is #1 on Jacked Up this week, now your season is done and your coach will retire after this season.
 11 years ago '06        #324
yumflip 4 heat pts
space
space
$9,615 | Props total: 2237 2237
 WillyHBonnie said:
I'm so glad I get to change my Avy!!!

Hey Flex, do you know where Bridgeville and Moon Township are??
If you come in on 76.....when you hit 79 south toward the city, it connects to 70S....Bridgeville is bout 20 minutes outside city on 70S....not too far from where I live....nice area....u goin there?

Last edited by yumflip; 11-26-2006 at 04:27 PM..
 11-26-2006, 08:07 PM         #325
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yeah are season is just about over but o-well will be better next year.... will prob will have a new coach too but maybe its a good thing he seem like he lost his fire like it dont matter to him if we when or lose he finally got a ring
 11-26-2006, 08:08 PM         #326
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WillyHBonnie said:
I'm so glad I get to change my Avy!!!

Hey Flex, do you know where Bridgeville and Moon Township are??
its a good bit away from me why?
 12-01-2006, 04:39 AM         #327
sOUFjERZz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
seasons over
 11 years ago '05        #328
Sheeed 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$12,028 | Props total: 12 12
soo much for this thread
 12-04-2006, 09:19 AM         #329
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The Steelers were looking to get back in the win column this week, and did so by defeating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 20-3 at Heinz Field.

Ben Roethlisberger was 12 for 25 for 198 yards and two touchdowns. Willie Parker had 22 carries for 61 yards.

Tampa Bay quarterback Bruce Gradkowski was looking for a happy homecoming, but the Steelers didn't want to be any part of that. Gradkowski was under pressure all day and was sacked five times and intercepted twice. The Buccaneers also added a fumble to their miscues.

"It was a good win," said head coach Bill Cowher. "I thought our defense did a really good job setting the tone early with the first three-and-out and with a little adversity off the interception. I thought they did a good job. Our coverage team was excellent today. It was a good win. We have a short week to get ready for Cleveland."

The win improves the Steelers record to 5-7, while Tampa falls to 3-9.

The Buccaneers got the ball to start the game and weren't able to go anywhere. Cadillac Williams was stopped by Aaron Smith and James Farrior for no gain to open the game. Gradkowski was forced to scramble for a yard, and on third-and-nine was sacked by Joey Porter for an eight-yard loss.

Willie Parker got the call early for the Steelers, but had nowhere to go, getting stopped for short gains of two and one yards. On third-and-seven Roethlisberger hit Heath Miller over the middle for an 11-yard gain. But, the momentum quickly swung in the favor of the Buccaneers when Derrick Brooks intercepted Roethlisberger's pass that was intended for Nate Washington at the Tampa 32-yard line. Brooks returned it nine yards to the 41-yard line.

It was a quick three and out for the Buccaneers and then back to work for the Steelers offense. Parker had two short gains before Roethlisberger hit Cedrick Wilson for 13-yards. The Steelers faced another third-down and Roethlisberger went right back to Wilson for another 13-yard gain, but Wilson was shaken-up on the play. Roethlisberger was sacked for a seven-yard loss, but came back and completed a 14-yard pass to Najeh Davenport, just shy of the first down. The Steelers were going for it on fourth-and-one from the Tampa 36-yard line, but Kendall Simmons was called for a false start, forcing them to punt.

Gradkowski came out firing, completing a 21-yard pass to Michael Clayton. But on the next play, Larry Foote was there for the interception at the Tampa 38-yard line and returned it 11-yards to the 27-yard line.

Roethlisberger completed an 18-yard pass to Santonio Holmes, and Parker had two short carries. On third-and-two Roethlisberger hit Jerame Tuman in the end zone for the touchdown, giving the Steelers a 7-0 lead.

The defense continued to stymie the Buccaneers offense. Galloway went around right end on the reverse for a seven-yard gain, but on the next play Williams was stopped for a four-yard loss. Porter blitzed and knocked Gradkowski for an eight-yard loss, his second sack of the game and the 60th of his career, moving him into fourth place on the Steelers all-time sack list.

Dan Kreider had a rare carry for the Steelers, taking it up the middle for five yards. Roethlisberger found Washington for 24-yards to the Steelers 41-yard line. The drive stalled there, with Parker getting hit for a two-yard loss, and two incomplete passes forcing the punt.

Gradkowski got the offense moving, completing an eight-yard pass to Joey Galloway and a nine-yard pass to Clayton. He hit Williams for a nine-yard gain, which was initially ruled a fumble, but Tampa challenged the call and it was overturned. Williams came back with a five yard run, and Mike Alstott added another five. The defense tightened the reigns then, holding Clayton and Williams to three-yard runs, before Gradkowski was sacked by Brett Keisel for a six-yard loss.

Roethlisberger drove the Steelers into Tampa territory, completing passes to Parker for 25 yards and Washington for 18 yards. The Steelers were able to convert their drive into a 50-yard Jeff Reed field goal, giving them a 10-0 lead at halftime.

The Steelers went three-and-out on their first drive of the second half, but got the ball back fast courtesy of the defense. Farrior hit Williams, forcing the ball loose and Foote recovered. They wouldn't hold on to it for long, though, with another three-and-out.

Both teams exchanged possessions again before Tampa got the ball with great field position at their own 34-yard line. They were backed up to the 39-yard line after a five-yard false start call. Gradkowski went for it all, but a wide open Clayton dropped what would have been a touchdown. Gradkowski came right back with a 24-yard pass to Galloway to the 15-yard line. He went back to Clayton, who made an 11-yard catch over the middle to the three-yard line. Alstott was stopped for a loss of one by Farrior and James Harrison. Gradkowski went to Maurice Stovall in the corner of the end zone, but Bryant McFadden went airborne and came down with the interception, ending the scoring threat.

The Steelers kept it on the ground, with a five-yard run by Parker, and a 15-yard facemask penalty tacked on. Parker added runs of five and three yards, giving the Steelers third and short. Roethlisberger went deep to Washington on the left sideline, where he pulled in the 36-yard reception. On the next play the Steelers hit pay dirt when Roethlisberger hit Miller for a 16-yard touchdown, stretching the lead to 17-0.

The defense kept the pressure on Gradkowski, and when Deshea Townsend came unblocked on the blitz he went down before he was even touched for the sack, forcing the punt. It would be another quick possession for the Steelers, who went for it on fourth and two but turned the ball over on downs. The Bucs couldn't move the ball on their ensuing driving, and also turned it over on downs after coming up a yard short on fourth and two.

Parker got the call on the next drive as the Steelers tried to use the clock. He had consecutive runs of three, seven, four and 14 yards. Davenport then added carries of three and one yards. On third-and-six he was knocked for a loss of two yards. Reed came in for a 32-yard field goal, but it went wide left.

The Bucs got the ball back, but didn't hold on for long when Clint Kreiwaldt intercepted him and returned it 12 yards to the Tampa 27-yard line.

Charlie Batch came in at quarterback to close the game out for the Steelers offense, and led them to a Reed field goal, giving them a 20-0 lead. The Bucs scored a field goal on the last play of the game to avoid the shutout, giving the Steelers a 20-3 win.

INACTIVES: Steelers – WR Willie Reid, RB Duce Staley, S Troy Polamalu, C Marvin Philip, OG Chris Kemoeatu, OT, Willie Colon, WR Hines Ward and 3rd QB Brian St. Pierre; Buccaneers – CB Alan Zemaitis, S Donte Nicholson; C Nick Mihlhauser, OT Donald Penn; WR Paris Warren; DE Charles Bennett; DT Jon Bradley; and 3rd QB Luke McCown.
 12-06-2006, 06:28 PM         #330
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Wednesday, December 6, 2006
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Letting go of Duce Staley was not easy for head coach Bill Cowher, but injuries at other positions made it necessary.

With Hines Ward and Cedrick Wilson both out for Thursday's game against the Browns the Steelers needed depth at that spot and brought in Lee Mays. They also were looking for help on special teams and brought in Chidi Iwuoma to help there.

"It was a tough decision just from the standpoint of how much I appreciate what he has given to this team and how he has handled everything," said Cowher. "He has contributed to this football team, just with his presence in the locker room and how he handled the role. He understood everything going into it. He was Willie's (Parker) back up and then the other players had to be part of the kicking game and he understood that and accepted it and was truly professional about it."

Cowher thinks that Staley, who is 31, can still contribute to a team and hopes that he lands on his feet somewhere soon.

"I still think he can run," said Cowher. "I hope somebody picks him up. He is still a good football player and a super person. He will be a great a.sset to a football team. We didn't have a choice with the situation we had with injuries."

It's the second year in a row that the team signed Mays late in the year, and he was actually in Pittsburgh visiting when he got the call that he was wanted back.

"It worked out pretty good from that standpoint," said Cowher. "He looked good in practice. He stays in pretty good shape. The same thing happened a year ago. Maybe based on last year he thought it's getting around December and Pittsburgh will be calling him again."

Iwuoma, who was waived on Sept. 6, feel like is home now that he is back in black and gold.

"I am happy to be back. It's a place where at least I know where the lunch room is," said Iwuoma. "It's been a tough season, but I am definitely happy to be back."

Iwuoma spent time with the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams after being waived by the Steelers and is hoping to now stay put.

"It's been really tough," he said. "I haven't been able to be settled anywhere. Not to mention flying around everywhere, it's been tough on my body.

"It's just a great situation to be back here and hopefully I will have an impact on whatever they ask me to do."
 12-06-2006, 06:32 PM         #331
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
When is a Tuesday like a Thursday, a Wednesday like a Friday, and a Monday like a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday combined? When you're part of the new Thursday night football series on the NFL Network, that's when.

One day after the Steelers upped their record to 5-7 with a 20-3 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Coach Bill Cowher, his staff and the players were beginning a whirlwind week that will have them cram six days of healing and preparation into about 72 intense hours, all culminating with an 8 p.m. kickoff against the Cleveland Browns on Thursday, Dec. 7 at Heinz Field.

Back in April, the NFL Network announced its schedule of primetime regular-season games airing as part of the NFL's new Thursday/Saturday "Run Up to the Playoffs" national package. The 2006 game telecast schedule on NFL Network features five Thursday night games and three Saturday night games from Weeks 12 to 17 of the NFL season.

This week, it impacts the Steelers and the Browns.

"If you're a fan, it's great to have football in the middle of the week, unless you are playing in it," said Coach Bill Cowher. "I guess both teams are in the same situation, but I am not a big fan of it at this time of year. It is what it is. It is part of the entertainment business we are in. It will be nice over the (following) weekend, but there will be a lot of work between now and Thursday."

Cowher joked that he was going to have to condense three days into one just to get the week started, but there was some truth to what he said.

During a typical week, a team will use Monday to look back at the game just played and begin to formulate a plan for the upcoming opponent. On Tuesday, the coaches meet for hours until they come up with the game plan for the next opponent. On Wednesday, that game plan is presented to the players, and the first meetings and practice sessions are devoted to implementing it.

On this week's Monday, the Steelers spent little or no time reviewing the Buccaneers game, the coaches devised the game plan and then it was presented to the players later the same afternoon with a practice scheduled for early in the evening.

There it is – Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all crammed into one 18-hour period.

"I went back, and the three Thursday games we've played since I have been here, we always took Monday and gave the players the day off and game-planned and then came in and worked two days," said Cowher. "We were 0-3 in those games, so that's why I kind of looked around and talked to some teams that have done this.

"The consensus was to come in (Monday) afternoon and try to treat this like a Wednesday, and tomorrow will be like a normal Thursday, and then Wednesday will be like a Friday, like you do in the preseason because you are playing the next night, so we will still have a little workout on Friday, and go to the hotel on Wednesday night and get up and have a normal game day routine."

If somebody ever makes the claim than an NFL player doesn't even know what day it is, now you know why.

"I think the last Thursday game we played was Thanksgiving Day," said Cowher. "It's been a while. Today is like a Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday all in one. Monday was this morning. We're in the middle of Tuesday with (this press conference). Once I leave this room it becomes Wednesday."

The league did make some concessions to the teams it earmarked for these Thursday night games: all of the games will match opponents from the same division, which should ease preparation time since the participants engage in a home-and-home series annually, and the teams that play on Thursday night all are at home on the previous Sunday to eliminate spending time on travel.

Still, it's safe to a.ssume no coaches were in favor of this, and it's even safer to a.ssume they weren't asked.

"We don't get consulted about schedules, we don't get consulted about rules, we don't get consulted about a lot of things," said Cowher. "We get more consoled than we get consulted."

And so it was that on Monday night, almost exactly 24 hours after their 4:15 p.m. game against the Buccaneers ended, the Steelers were back on the practice field.

"We're not going to have any 9-on-7s, we won't wear shoulder pads this whole week," said Cowher. "I'm not that foolish to do that. It is important preparation-wise to see it, rep it and go through it. I think it's important that we start thinking of Cleveland and get some normality this week."

Good luck with that.
 11 years ago '05        #332
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,495 | Props total: 129 129
now the natti need 2 lose atleast 2 games and b.more need 2 lose 1 (against pitts) and pitts need 2 win all games left then we still good 4 another wildcard spot

...geah...
 12-08-2006, 11:41 AM         #333
styles354  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
sup steelers fans
 12-08-2006, 02:30 PM         #334
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The temperatures at Heinz Field were bitter cold, with it dipping into the teens before the final gun sounded, but the Steelers were on fire as they defeated the Cleveland Browns, 27-7.

The win improves the Steelers record to 6-7, while the Browns fall to 4-9. It also evens the series between the two teams at 55 wins each, including two post-season wins by the Steelers.

Running back Willie Parker had the best game of his career, carrying the ball 32 times for a Steelers record 223 yards, breaking a record set by Frency Fuqua when he rushed for 218 yards in 1970 against Philadelphia. It is also the second 200-yard game of the season for Parker as he became the first Steelers running back ever to have two 200-yard games.

Ben Roethlisberger completed 11 of 21 passes for 225 yards and a touchdown, before being spelled by Charlie Batch late in the fourth quarter.

"Obviously it was a good night, and I'm happy for Willie Parker," said head coach Bill Cowher. "He's such and unselfish kid and I couldn't be happier for him. What a job the offensive line did, and I thought Ben (Roethlisberger) did a great job too. That first touchdown pass was thrown right into the teeth of the wind. It was a heck of a throw."

Rookie wide receiver Santonio Holmes made his first NFL start and responded with four catches for 81 yards. Fellow rookie Anthony Smith also had his first start and intercepted Browns quarterback Derek Anderson, ending a potential scoring drive.

"Anthony Smith I thought was really good," said Cowher. "He made some big hits. He made the big interception. Santonio (Holmes) made some big catches today. The one on third down in the third quarter was a big catch. Those two kids played well."

The Steelers defense shut the door on the Browns ground game, allowing just 18 yards on 11 carries. Quarterback Derek Anderson, making his first start, completed 21 passes for 276 yards, with most of the yards coming late in the game.

The Steelers had good field position to start the game when Sean Morey returned it 22 yards to their own 35-yard line. Parker had two short runs before Roethlisberger hit Santonio Holmes for a 17-yard gain. Roethlisberger hit Morey for a 12-yard gain, but he was called for pass interference, negating they play. On third-and-20 Roethlisberger's pass to Nate Washington was incomplete, forcing the punt.

Anderson came out established the passing game right away with a 16-yard completion to Joe Jurevicius. He hit Braylon Edwards for four yards and came back to Jurevicius for 18 yards. On first down Anderson went to Kellen Winslow for two-yards and Reuben Droughns added five on the ground. On third-and-three Terrelle Smith was stopped for one yard.

The Steelers got backed up deep in their own territory at the three-yard line, but quickly worked their way out. Parker had a three-yard run and Roethlisberger went to Dan Kreider for a six-yard completion. On third-and-one Parker broke off left guard for a six-yard gain. Parker surpassed 1,000 yards for the season on his next carry, an 11-yard scamper off right end. Roethlisberger had a 16-yard completion to Holmes along the left sideline to the Browns 49-yard line. Roethlisberger then went for broke, hitting Washington deep for a 49-yard scoring strike to give the Steelers a 7-0 lead.

The defense stopped the Browns with a quick thee-and-out, but on the punt James Harrison was called for running into the kicker, giving the Browns a first down and new life. Anderson had a 15-yard completion to Droughns and a 13-yarder to Steve Heiden. But on third down his pass to Edwards fell incomplete.

The offense headed things up, moving the ball consistently downfield. Roethlisberger started it with a 17-yard completion to Walter Young for his first NFL reception. Three plays later he found Morey for 15 yards. Parker took it on the ground for gains of eight and two yards, before Roethlisberger connected with Washington for 18 yards to the Browns 21-yard line. Parker took it up the middle for 12 yards and off right guard for four yards to the five-yard line. The Steelers couldn't punch it in the end zone and called on Jeff Reed for a 23-yard field goal to give them a 10-0 lead.

After stopping the Browns with three-and-out the Steelers had a perfect opportunity to extend their lead. Parker went off right guard for a 20-yard gain, but fumbled and it was recovered by Browns linebacker Kamerion Wimbley.

Just as quick as the Steelers gave the ball away, they got it right back. Anderson was hit by Aaron Smith and the ball came loose, but the officials ruled him down by contact. The Steelers challenged the call and it was overturned, with Smith getting the forced fumble and recovery and giving the Steelers another shot at extending the lead.

Parker rattled off a 26-yard gain but on third down Holmes couldn't pull in a pass near the goal line. Reed's 35-yard field goal attempt was blocked and the Steelers came away empty on the drive.

After stopping the Browns for another three-and-out, the Steelers almost gave them the ball right back. Najeh Davenport got the call at running back, but fumbled on the first play. Holmes was there for the recovery, but the Steelers were in a hole at second-and-18. Parker had a three-yard gain and on second-and-15 Davenport was stopped short for a 13-yard gain.

The Browns drove down the field before the end of the half, but Phil Dawson's 40-yard field goal attempt sailed wide left.

The second half started with a bang for the Steelers. Parker went up the middle for a 16 yard gain, and then came right back with carries of seven, 10 and three yards. Roethlisberger went to Holmes over the middle and he went airborne for an acrobatic 23-yard reception. Parker had a four-yard carry and Roethlisberger scrambled for three, giving the Steelers a third-and-three. Roethlisberger was under pressure, but scrambled, avoiding the sack and then finding Jerame Tuman for an 18-yard gain to the seven-yard line. Parker had two short runs and then Roethlisberger capped the 91-yard drive when he went off left end for a two-yard touchdown, extending the lead to 17-0.

The defense pulled off another big stop and the offense made it count with big plays. Parker went up the middle for 39 yards, then Roethlisberger found Davenport for 21 yards. Parker went off right tackle for 11 to the Browns three-yard line. He then took it in to the end zone for the touchdown, giving the Steelers a 24-0 lead.

The Browns offense drove into Steelers territory, but Anderson's pass for Edwards was intercepted by Anthony Smith at the 10-yard line, stopping their drive. The Steelers were able to convert the turnover into a 28-yard field goal to give them a 27-0 lead.

Anderson was able to get the Browns moving in the fourth quarter, taking them on a five-play, 63-yard drive that ended in a 45-yard touchdown pass to Edwards, denying the Steelers of a shutout.

INACTIVES: Steelers – S Ryan Clark, S Troy Polamalu, C Marvin Philip, OG Chris Kemoeatu, OT Willie Colon, WR Cedrick Wilson, WR Hines Ward, 3rd QB Brian St. Pierre; Browns – S Brian Russell, RB Jerome Harrison, C Rob Smith, LG Isaac Sowells, RG Fred Matua, WR Travis Wilson, DL Orpheus Roye; 3rd QB Charlie Frye.

SCORING SUMMARY
1ST QUARTER
TD Nate Washington, 49 Yd pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick is good), 3:18. Drive: 8 plays, 97 yards in 4:14.
2ND QUARTER
FG Jeff Reed 23 Yd, 9:15. Drive: 15 plays, 78 yards in 5:48.
3RD QUARTER
TD Ben Roethlisberger, 2 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 5:32. Drive: 12 plays, 91 yards in 7:29.
TD Willie Parker, 3 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 1:47. Drive: 4 plays, 74 yards in 2:05.
4TH QUARTER
FG Jeff Reed 28 Yd, 7:26. Drive: 12 plays, 61 yards in 7:39.
TD Braylon Edwards, 45 Yd pass from Derek Anderson (Phil Dawson kick is good), 5:20. Drive: 5 plays, 63 yards in 2:06.
 12-08-2006, 02:31 PM         #335
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Willie Parker wasn't born when Frenchy Fuqua rushed for 218 yards against the Philadelphia Eagles back in 1970. He never saw him play a down in his Steelers career, as Fuqua's last season was 1976 and Parker wasn't born until 1980.

But he has heard the name mentioned by running backs Coach d*ck Hoak, who coached Fuqua.

"I really don't know too much about Frenchy," said Parker. "Coach Hoak talks about him all the time. I was young, and I really don't know too much about him."

There is one thing that Parker did know about Fuqua, that his performance on that day in 1970 was the best single game rushing total ever turned in by a Steelers running back – until Thursday night. Parker broke the record, rushing for 223 yards in an amazing performance against the Browns.

Parker was close to the record mid-way through the second half and head coach Bill Cowher kept him in there, despite the fact that the Steelers had a commanding lead.

"Coach Cowher came to me and asked me if I wanted to run some more," said Parker. "I asked him why he asked me that, and he told me that I was eight yards away from the record. So I said, 'Yeah, I want to run some more.' He told me that when I got the record that he was going to pull me, so I said, 'Well, you do what you have to do.'"

Parker came off the field to a huge ovation from those who braved the cold weather at Heinz Field, but his warmest reception was when Cowher greeted him on the sideline.

"He told me how proud he was of me, and how far I've come," said Parker. "It's like a father and son relationship. He just embraced me and kind of got emotional."

Parker also worked his way into the record books for being the first running back in Steelers history to rush for 200 yards twice in his career. Parker rushed for 213 yards against the New Orleans Saints on Nov. 12.

"It means a lot," said Parker of his second 200-yard game. "I came a long way, and it means a lot. But, the best thing that I got out of the game was the win. The team just gathered around each other and just rallied to win. The accolades aren't really what I'm about. I'm not going to dwell on it – it just happens."
 12-08-2006, 05:37 PM         #336
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 11 years ago '05        #337
The Utmost 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,495 | Props total: 129 129
at the larry foote stomp..cracks me up every time
 12-08-2006, 08:41 PM         #338
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
So much stuff has to happen for us to get in the playoffs. But if its going to happen to anyone it will happen to us lol
 12-17-2006, 10:31 PM         #339
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The Steelers had a convincing win over the Carolina Panthers, defeating them 37-3 with a combination of explosive offensive play, tenacious defense, and strong special teams. The win improves the Steelers record to 7-7.

Running back Willie Parker, who had struggled on the road this season with a 46-yard average, carried the ball 23 times for 132 yards and a 41-yard touchdown.

Ben Roethlisberger completed 10 of 17 passes for 125 yards, with a touchdown pass and running for a score as well.

The defense brought the pressure and sacked quarterback Chris Weinke five times, including one and a half sacks by Brett Keisel. Weinke completed 18 of 28 passes for 170 yards and one interception. Wide receiver Steve Smith was held to five receptions for 56 yards.

The defense also held the Panthers in check on the ground, allowing just 43yards rushing, with DeShaun Foster gaining 42 of those yards on seven carries.

The Steelers special teams have taken heat all season, but did their part in the win. The coverage units were strong, with big hits, and the return game flourished when Santonio Holmes scored on a 65-yard punt return. The Steelers also blocked a punt, which eventually lead to a touchdown.

"I thought we did a lot of really good things today," said head coach Bill Cowher. "I thought we played a very good game today. We were able to take away Steve Smith, and he is the heart and soul of that football team.

"I thought our offense did a good job. We got off to a rough start, but we didn't turn the football over, we didn't have penalties and we didn't beat ourselves. When we do those things we are a pretty good football team."

The Steelers offense started off slow, with the Panthers stopping them for a one-yard loss in their first three drives of the game. The first two drives ended in sacks, one by Chris Gamble on the corner blitz and the second when Michael Rucker came around left tackle for the hit, looking like it would be a long day for Roethlisberger.

But they finally got things going late in the first quarter. Parker had a six-yard gain off right end and on third down Roethlisberger hit Hines Ward for nine yards and a first down. Parker rattled off nine more yards, and it was right back to Ward for an eight-yard gain.

Roethlisberger went for broke to Holmes in the end zone, but it fell incomplete. They got a break, though, when Richard Marshall was called for defensive pass interference on the play, giving the Steelers a first-down at the Panthers 17-yard line. Parker was knocked for a two-yard loss, but the Steelers got it right back and more. Najeh Davenport caught a short pass and turned it into an 18-yard gain to the Panthers one-yard line. Roethlisberger then took it himself for one-yard and the touchdown, his second rushing touchdown of the season.

The Steelers defense, which held the Panthers to three-and-out on two of their first three drives, continued to pressure Weinke and stymie the Panthers offense following the score. James Farrior sacked Weinke for an eight-yard loss and a false start penalty put the Panthers in a hole they couldn't get out of.

Parker tore through the Panthers on the next drive, opening with carries of 21 and 11 yards. The Steelers then pulled a play out of their bag of tricks when Cedrick Wilson took the handoff, then threw it to Ward for a 21-yard gain. Parker had carries of five and nine yards, and on fourth-and-one Roethlisberger took it up the middle for two yards. Roethlisberger went to rookie Santonio Holmes, who fought his way to the end zone. But Carolina challenged the call, and it was ruled Holmes elbow was down before the ball crossed the goal line, taking away the score. Jeff Reed came on for a 19-yard field goal, giving the Steelers a 10-0 lead.

With the offense and defense playing so well, it was just a matter of time before special teams made their impact. After a three-and-out, the Panthers were forced to punt, and James Harrison blocked Jason Baker's attempt and Ike Taylor recovered and returned it two yards to the Panthers 10-yard line.

Parker had a two-yard gain, but Al Wallace sacked Roethlisberger for a five-yard loss. Roethlisberger went to Davenport on the screen pass and he followed the blocking of Alan Faneca into the end zone for a 13-yard touchdown, giving the Steelers a 17-0 lead.

The Panthers added a John Kasay field goal near the end of the half, to give the Steelers a 17-3 lead going into the locker room.

The Steelers came out in the second half and stopped the Panthers on their opening drive, but added to their lead with their first drive when Reed hit his second field goal of the day.

After a quick three-and-out by the Panthers, the Steelers went back to work. Nate Washington had a nice 14-yard reception for a first down before the Steelers went to the ground. Parker had two short carries, before he burst through a hole created by Heath Miller and Faneca and broke free for a 41-yard touchdown run, to extend the Steelers lead to 27-3.

The defense came up with another big stop, but it looked like the Panthers were going to finally get a break when Holmes muffed the punt and the Panthers recovered. But it was the Steelers who were getting the break as the Panthers were called for illegal procedure. The Panthers were forced to kick again and this time Holmes made them pay for the mistake, returning it 65 yards for a touchdown, giving the Steelers a 34-3 lead.

Anthony Smith closed the door on the Panthers when he intercepted Weinke. The offense came back on the field, with Charlie Batch at quarterback and Parker and Ward also on the sidelines resting. Reed added his third field goal of the game, to give the Steelers a 37-3 lead which would hold as a final.

SCORING SUMMARY
1ST QUARTER
None
2ND QUARTER
TD Ben Roethlisberger, 1 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 14:55. Drive: 9 plays, 63 yards in 3:13.
FG Jeff Reed 19 Yd, 4:25. Drive: 13 plays, 84 yards in 5:47.
TD Najeh Davenport, 13 Yd pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick is good), 1:54. Drive: 3 plays, 10 yards in 1:01.
FG John Kasay 37 Yd, 0:04. Drive: 8 plays, 52 yards in 1:50.
3RD QUARTER
FG Jeff Reed 45 Yd, 4:40. Drive: 12 plays, 63 yards in 7:49.
TD Willie Parker, 41 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 0:13. Drive: 7 plays, 67 yards in 3:56.
4TH QUARTER
TD Santonio Holmes, 65 Yd punt return (Jeff Reed kick is good), 14:27.
FG Jeff Reed 26 Yd, 4:01. Drive: 13 plays, 32 yards in 9:20.
 12-17-2006, 10:32 PM         #340
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
46 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
218 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
42 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
56 comments
22 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
151 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
191 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
322 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
139 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy