The Offical Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
58 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
234 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
248 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 10-01-2006, 03:13 PM         #241
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Thursday, September 28, 2006
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers returned to practice on Wednesday, taking advantage of some extra time to get work done during their bye week.

For quarterback Ben Roethlisberger this week is a chance to look back at his performance so far this season and see what he needs to do to get things rolling for the long haul ahead.

One of those things – run the ball more.

Roethlisberger and head coach Bill Cowher talked this week and one thing that was encouraged was for the quarterback to take off running more when the opportunity arises, something that has been a strength his first two seasons.

"I talked to coach about it; we decided that maybe I need to get out a little more, run a little more," said Roethlisberger. "I've kind of gotten away from running the ball. He said, 'Yeah, take your 6 yards and slide.'

"We'll see. I'm not going to go out and try to change anything. I'm just going to continue to play the way that I play and just try to make smarter decisions."

Roethlisberger's rushing stats so far this season are listed as two carries for a loss of one yard. He isn't going to be going out on the field looking to run, but rather make sure he has it available as an option.

"When it comes to scrambling, it's kind of the fine line," said Roethlisberger. "It's not necessarily something you design, but it's not something you want to do too soon. We went back and looked at the film. There's probably a couple of plays where I got out of the pocket and maybe I tried to stay a passer too long rather than just take the yardage and get down. It's a fine line to walk, but we'll find a way to just get back to playing my style of football."

One thing that might help Roethlisberger running is putting on more weight. He lost around 15 pounds after his motorcycle accident in June and Cowher has encouraged him to put a few pounds back on.

"We've talked about it," said Cowher. "I am encouraging him to make sure he eats snacks at night."

Roethlisberger knows that the Steelers are better than their 1-2 record. He knows that it isn't time to panic, that things can and will turn around.

"People look at it like we're sliding backwards and I don't think so," said Roethlisberger. "We've got some ways to go, but I think we're making progress. Offensively, we will come around, because our defense is playing great right now. I feel that we let them down. We won't let that happen again."

Last edited by flex001; 10-01-2006 at 03:19 PM..
 10-01-2006, 03:15 PM         #242
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Friday, September 29, 2006
By Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

After three games, and a 1-2 record, the Steelers are not where they want to be and the stats show it.

The Steelers offense is ranked 12th overall in the AFC and 25th in the NFL and the defense is 11th in the AFC and 13th in the NFL.

The Steelers are also tied for the league in turnovers with eight, but are not ranked at the bottom in the takeaway/giveaway department thanks to the defense creating six turnovers.

Head coach Bill Cowher knows that the numbers aren't where he wants the team to be and that it is going to take a total team effort to turn things around, something that they haven't gotten yet.

"When you look at the three phases and how we a.ssess it after three games, we have got nothing out of the return game and the kicking game," started Cowher. "Offensively we lead the league in turnovers. That is not a good stat to lead the league in. We have had some critical drops on third downs. We got the running game going. We did that two out of three weeks. We had the bad outing against Jacksonville. The line has played pretty solid."

It's not just special teams and the offense that needs to step it up. While the defense has turned in some strong performances, there is room for improvement there as well.

"We have not done a good job of holding them in the red zone," said Cowher. "One of the stats that was glaring to me from the other day (against Cincinnati) was we were in the red zone six times and we scored two touchdowns. They were in the red zone three times and scored three touchdowns. You talk about holding them to field goals when they get down there and scoring touchdowns when you get down there. Those things come back."

Cowher has confidence that the team will bounce back. It's just a matter of being consistent in all of those areas of the game, not showing signs here and there, but getting everything to work together each game.

"No one wants to be where we are right now, but it is where we are," said Cowher. "You just have to play. That's the hole we have dug for ourselves. It is what it is. I do like this football team. We are a good football team that is not playing consistent right now.

"This is collectively a better football team. We've done a lot of good things. I don't want them to lose sight of that. At the same time we are doing things that have not allowed us to win football games or play consistently week in and week out and yet it is still week three. There is still a lot of football left. I still think we are a good football team."
 10-01-2006, 03:17 PM         #243
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Friday, September 29, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

Every NFL team is given one weekend off during the course of a 16-game regular season schedule, and regardless of where that weekend falls on the calendar it's only natural to take stock of things during it.

For the second straight season, the Steelers' off weekend has come after just three of the 16 games, and while this makes the process of identifying trends a bit more difficult, well, it's going to happen anyway.

As the Steelers boarded their charter for the flight back from Jacksonville in the wee hours of Sept. 19, it seemed reasonable to have some concerns about the offensive line. The Jaguars have a solid defense, and the strength of that unit is its front four, but physical football is supposed to be the Steelers' game, and during those three hours at Alltel Stadium their offense had been handled physically.

The proof could be found in the statistics – Willie Parker was held to 20 yards on 11 carries, and the Steelers offense managed just 26 yards rushing in a game in which they didn't trail by more than one score until the final few minutes of the fourth quarter.

Yes, the Jaguars employ a pair of Pro Bowl defensive tackles in Marcus Stroud and John Henderson, but the Steelers' mind-set is that they should be able to gain more than 26 yards rushing even if the game was against a reincarnation of The Steel Curtain in its prime.

Coach Bill Cowher has said often that he believes it takes about four games at the start of each season for that particular team to find its identity, and after the loss to the Jaguars there were questions about whether the Steelers of 2006 would be able to execute the power offense that had helped them win Super Bowl XL.

Coming up next, and on a short week at that, was a game against the defending division champion Cincinnati Bengals, and the Steelers' ability to run the football was going to be extremely important to the outcome.

By definition, a cliché is a trite _expression that conveys a common idea, and one of the all-time football clichés is that games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage.

That cliché applied in the run-up to Steelers-Bengals I because the loss to the Jaguars six days previous had shown what happens when their offensive line gets handled physically.

When that happens, there is no running game, which means there's no time for Ben Roethlisberger to throw, which means there's no offensive continuity, which means the defense ends up being on the field for 37 minutes. And allowing an offense as balanced and potent as Cincinnati's to be on the field for 37 minutes seemed to be a recipe for disaster.

In the three games these teams had played in 2005, the outcome was tied pretty directly to how well the Steelers ran the football. In the only game in which they were held under 100 yards rushing, they lost. In the first meeting, they had rushed for 221 yards and won by two touchdowns; in the AFC Wild Card game they rushed for 144 and won by two touchdowns.

The Bengals recognized this correlation as well, because in the offseason they spent money on two unrestricted free agents who could help in this area -- safety Dexter Jackson and defensive tackle Sam Adams.

The record will show that the Steelers lost to the Bengals on that Sunday at Heinz Field, but it was not because their offensive line was handled physically. In fact, the line was the offense's best unit all day.

Each of the starters played well, but some special recognition deserves to go to Kendall Simmons, the guard who usually tangled with Adams whenever the Bengals behemoth was on the field.

Adams is listed at 350 pounds, which looked to be about 50 pounds under the correct number, and Simmons moved him on some plays and put him on the ground on some others.

The Steelers fan the football effective and consistently against the Bengals. Parker finished with 133 yards and two touchdowns; the Steelers finished with 170 as a team, a total that was more than what they mustered in that playoff game last January at Paul Brown Stadium.

The Steelers lost to the Bengals, and they are 1-2 today as their bye weekend begins. Their record is not what they expected of themselves to this point of the season, but as they continue the process of forging their identity for the rest of 2006 they can be confident that the offensive line is capable of holding up its end.
 10-01-2006, 03:20 PM         #244
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
props to yall both way to stand up for the steelers!
 11 years ago '04        #245
the_mia_team 
space
space
$253 | Props total: 12 12
What up just gotta support the pittsburgh thread, im not much of a football guy, its actually my least favorite sport, considering i play baseball for colelge im more of a baseball guy and with the Pittsburgh Pirates though they suck but hey I aint band wagon i like my team.

I aint hatin on football im jsut saying tis not my thing, you can tell a pittsburgh person from everyone else in the US, were different, Mike Ditka was born and raised in Pittsburgh and even had an interview saying Pittsburgh people stand out from everyone

Dont hate on our area, PGH 412 all day everyday
 10-13-2006, 06:17 PM         #246
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Roethlisberger ready to start over
Thursday, October 12, 2006
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Ben Roethlisberger is looking for a fresh start this week.

And you can't blame him.

The team's 1-3 record can't be wiped clean from the NFL standings, but the fresh start approach could be good for the team.

"I think what I'm going to do, and what some of these guys are going to do, is start the season over right now," said Roethlisberger. "We're 0-0 and we're looking for our first win. I need to start a new season. I'm ready to start over and I think a lot of these guys are feeling the same way. It's going to be good because a lot of us are going to get back on the same page again and start over."

The team hasn't put up the numbers they would like to on offense, including zero touchdown passes by Roethlisberger.

"We need to do a lot of things on offense. It's more than just the big play," he said. "We need to run the ball better; we need to throw the ball better. I think if we take those baby steps, we can make strides."

But he still feels like they have shown some good signs and hopefully they can carry that further.

"We've put together some good drives at times," said Roethlisberger. "Last week in particular, we put together some good stuff. But it just seems like there's that one play that stops us. If we can eliminate that one play that ends up k!lling us and biting us in the butt, put good plays together and not make that critical mistake, then we can continue that drive and put it in the end zone."
 10-13-2006, 06:18 PM         #247
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Brown back in black and gold
Thursday, October 12, 2006
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

PRESS RELEASE

The Steelers brought back a familiar face when they signed linebacker Chad Brown to a one-year contract because of injuries.

"Chad has played in a lot of football games," said head coach Bill Cowher. "He brings experience to the position. I thought we needed a guy with experience. He knows this defense. I know he can line up as a third-down rusher. It's going to take some time. You have to be careful how much you expect from him in a very short time. It's good to have him back."

Brown was drafted by the Steelers in the second round in 1993 and played for them from 1993-96, including being a member of the Super Bowl x*x team. Brown started 49 games and registered 299 tackles (204 solo) and 30 sacks for the Steelers.

"It was a little odd because I am not at Three Rivers but I am with the Steelers still," said Brown about returning to the Steelers. "It's real familiar. These lockers look like the same as our lockers at Three Rivers Stadium. Coach (Bill) Cowher, Coach (John) Mitchell and d*ck LeBeau are still calling the defense. It's odd, but it's odd in a good way."

Brown left the Steelers after the 1996 season and signed with the Seattle Seahawks, where is played for eight seasons. He signed with the New England Patriots in 2005 and started five games, recording 54 tackles. Brown has recorded 1,097 tackles and 78 sacks during his career.

He was released by the Patriots prior to the start of the 2006 season when he was injured and actually expected to return to them at some point.

"I knew they were releasing me because I was injured," said Brown. ""I couldn't help the team at that moment. There was a good chance I would come back and play for them. I stayed in New England and continued to work out. I am sure there would have been the possibility of me coming back if I was here."

Depth at outside linebacker was needed because James Harrison and Joey Porter were both ruled out for the game against the Chiefs with injuries.

"I bring a body who can play on Sunday and that's what they need at the linebacker position," said Brown. "Perhaps I can help some of the younger linebackers, how to be a professional, how to take care of your body. This game is so special. You only get to play this game for a short period of time. This is my 14th season and that is well beyond your average career. While you can play it, you have to put all you can into it. Once it's over, you never get to play football again. If I can come here, help this team win some games, teach the young guys and at the same time play this great game of football why not."

To make room on the roster for Brown the Steelers released tight end Tim Euhus. Euhus was on the inactive list for the first four games of the season.
 10-13-2006, 06:19 PM         #248
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Steelers-Chiefs Match-ups
Friday, October 13, 2006
By BOB LABRIOLA

Steelers.com

The following are some of the interesting match-ups to watch when the Steelers host the Kansas City Chiefs for the first time since 1989. Kickoff for the game at Heinz Field is set for 4:15 p.m.

STEELERS DE AARON SMITH VS. CHIEFS RG WILL SHIELDS: Each of these guys is among the best at his position, as well as being an extremely valuable part of what his team hopes to get accomplished. The Steelers defensive line has been a strength throughout this season, and Smith is playing at a high level once again. Shields still is respected as one of the top guards in the NFL. The Chiefs know they're going to have to be able to run the ball consistently to win in Pittsburgh, and once tackles Willie Roaf and John Welbourn retired during the summer, Shields a.ssumed the title of best/most irreplaceable of the Chiefs' offensive lineman. Larry Johnson is a magnificent talent, but he hasn't been able to match the production he had at the end of the 2005 season so far, and a lot of that has to do with the Chiefs' offensive line not being as dominant as it was. Still, the Chiefs need to run the ball, and the Steelers want to stop it so that QB Damon Huard has to beat them. Shields vs. Smith is a matchup that will go a long way in determining which team inflicts its will on the other.

STEELERS P CHRIS GARDOCKI AND PK JEFF REED VS. CHIEFS KR DANTE HALL: The Steelers know first-hand what Hall can mean to the outcome of a game. In the second game of 2003, the Steelers held a 10-0 first-quarter lead on the Chiefs in Arrowhead Stadium when Hall returned a kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown that made the score 10-7. That single play turned the game around completely, and the Chiefs went on to post a lopsided 41-20 win. For Gardocki, placing his punts is going to be very important, because kicking the ball to Hall in the middle of the field puts a lot of strain on a coverage unit that will be without James Harrison. For Reed, height will be important, because if the ball doesn't carry deep into the end zone, Hall is going to bring it out anyway. A special teams touchdown could cause a swing as significant in the momentum of this game as it did in the 2003 game.

STEELERS RT MAX STARKS VS. CHIEFS DE TAMBA HALI: In Kansas City, people are saying that the outside pass rush being provided by DEs Jared Allen and Hali is the best the team has had since the days of Neil Smith and Derrick Thomas, which is either very heady praise or a sad commentary on the personnel playing the positions since. Anyway, a dangerous up-field pass rusher can cause all sorts of problems beyond the obvious. If Hali is giving Starks problems with his speed, Kendall Simmons, who plays next to Starks, could be impacted as well. It's going to be important for Ben Roethlisberger to play well, and for that to happen he's going to need to feel comfortable in the pocket. Keeping Roethlisberger clean is going to mean winning this matchup.

STEELERS LOB CHAD BROWN VS. CHIEFS LT JORDAN BLACK: With Kyle Turley out last week, Black started here, and with Turley questionable this week, the Steelers may see him here as well. With Joey Porter out with a hamstring injury, Arnold Harrison will be making his first NFL start, and the Steelers reacted to the situation by adding veteran Chad Brown. The last time Brown, 36, was in a Steelers uniform was in 1996, which was 10 years ago, and so his understanding of the team's defensive scheme is expectedly cloudy. But what Brown can still do, so the Steelers believe, is come off the corner as a situational pass rusher, which always has been the strength of his game. Brown should have some fresh legs, and if he can burst past Black on just a couple of occasions, the havoc he causes could result in a big play or two for the Steelers.

STEELERS WRs HINES WARD AND CEDRICK WILSON OR SANTONIO HOLMES: Besides protection, another important factor in getting Roethlisberger off to a good start on Sunday is going to be one or more of the receivers doing something extraordinary. In each of the Steelers' three losses, the passing attack has been sub-standard, and in each of the losses wide receivers have dropped catchable balls. The drops aren't solely responsible for the ineffectiveness of the passing attack, but there often comes a time when somebody has to do something to help the group turn a corner. The Steelers receivers will be going against a veteran pair of CBs in Ty Law and Patrick Surtain, and what they may have lost in speed they can make up with savvy and experience. Somebody needs to make a play for the Steelers, and the earlier in the game it comes, the better off the team will be.
 10-13-2006, 09:24 PM         #249
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Still an awesome Thread. Keep it going and I like te new Avy. Win or lose we still steelers fans. I prop you whenever I see you bro
 10-14-2006, 03:34 PM         #250
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good lookin
 10-14-2006, 03:35 PM         #251
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
PITTSBURGH — The Steelers signed rookie cornerback Jovon Johnson from their practice squad to the active roster, making him available for tomorrow's game against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Johnson (5-9, 177) was signed to the Steelers' practice squad on October 10. He previously spent time in the New York Jets' training camp but was waived on Aug. 28.

To make room for Johnson, the Steelers released veteran quarterback Brian St. Pierre. St. Pierre (6-3, 230) was signed to Pittsburgh's practice squad on Sept. 4, two days before being signed to the team's active roster. He spent last year with the Baltimore Ravens.

St. Pierre was originally drafted by the Steelers in the fifth round (163rd overall) in the 2003 NFL Draft and then spent time on both the active roster and the practice squad for Pittsburgh. After being waived on Sept. 3, 2005, St. Pierre was signed to the Baltimore Ravens' practice squad on Sept. 22, 2005, and signed to the active roster on Dec. 8. St. Pierre, who was waived by the Ravens on Sept. 2, 2006, has played in one career game, which was the Steelers' season finale against the Buffalo Bills on Jan. 2, 2005
 10-15-2006, 04:42 PM         #252
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST QUARTER
TD Willie Parker, 3 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 10:45. Drive: 7 plays, 73 yards in 4:15.
TD Nate Washington, 47 Yd pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick is good), 0:50. Drive: 2 plays, 58 yards in 0:45.
2ND QUARTER
TD Willie Parker, 8 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 9:31. Drive: 9 plays, 80 yards in 5:15.
TD Hines Ward, 13 Yd pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick is good), 6:20. Drive: 3 plays, 65 yards in 1:32.
FG Jeff Reed 32 Yd, 0:00. Drive: 12 plays, 76 yards in 4:12.

GAME INACTITVES: Steelers - WR Willie Reid, RB Duce Staley, CB Jovon Johnson, LB Joey Porter, C Marvin Philip, G Kendall Simmons, OT Willie Colon and LB James Harrison. Chiefs - QB Trent Green, CB Benny Sapp, RB Michael Bennett, LB Rich Scanlon, OG Tre Stallings, C Rudy Niswanger, OT Will Svitek and WR Dante Hall.

Starting lineup changes: Steelers - Chris Kemoeatu will start at RG in place of Kendall Simmons and Bryant McFadden will start at RCB in place of Deshea Townsend. Chiefs - Jordan Black will start at LT in place of Kyle Turley.

Last edited by flex001; 10-15-2006 at 04:44 PM..
 10-15-2006, 06:26 PM         #253
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

Things clicked on all cylinders for the Steelers as they got back on track and defeated the Kansas City Chiefs 45-7 at Heinz Field.

The much-needed win improves the Steelers record to 2-3.

The offense, which had their ups and downs this season, was right on the mark. Ben Roethlisberger completed 16 of 19 passes for 238 yards and added two touchdowns, his first scoring strikes of the season.

The ground game was equally effective, with Willie Parker carrying the ball 21 times for 109 yards and two touchdowns and Najeh Davenport adding 12 carries for 78 yards and a touchdown.

The Steelers defense was swarming all day, not allowing the Chiefs to get in sync at any point. Quarterback Damon Huard finished the day completing 16 of 32 passes for 162 yards and one interception. The Chiefs ground games was brought to a halt, with Larry Johnson having 15 carries for just 26 yards and the Chiefs gaining only 38 yards on the ground.

The Steelers came out strong on their first drive of the game. Roethlisberger hit Santonio Holmes around the Steelers 36-yard line and he turned inside and then broke free for a 50-yard gain, slowing down only when he tripped up on his own at the Chiefs 24-yard line. Parker added a seven-yard gain around left end, and a defensive offside call gave the Steelers a first down at the 12-yard line. Roethlisberger hit Cedrick Wilson for a nine-yard gain to the three-yard line. Parker went around right end for no gain, but came right back and on the next carry took it up the middle for a three-yard touchdown to give the Steelers an early 7-0 lead.

Johnson got the call for the Chiefs offense early with short gains of two and four yards. Damon Huard then hit tight end Tony Gonzalez for eight yards and the first down. Huard went back to Gonzalez for a five-yard gain and Samie Parker for eight yards. Two incomplete passes by Huard, though, would stop the drive at the Steelers 46-yard line.

Roethlisberger came out firing on the next drive, hitting Wilson for a 19-yard gain. Parker had two-yard gain, but was called for illegal motion on the next play, giving the Steelers second-and-13 from their 31-yard line. Parker went up the middle on the next play, getting back four yards. Roethlisberger looked to go deep on the next play, but his Nate Washington couldn't come down with the pass on the right sideline.

The defense stepped up, forcing a quick three-and-out by the Chiefs.

The Steelers got the ball with excellent field position at their 42-yard line and took advantage of it. Parker went off right tackle for 11 yards to get things rolling. On the next play, Roethlisberger went right back to Washington, who caught it at the 12-yard line, bounced off the defender and then took it into the end zone for a 47-yard touchdown, extending the Steelers lead to 14-0.

The defense responded again forcing the Chiefs to another three-and-out and the offense took advantage of their aggressive play.

Parker came out running with a 25-yard gain off left end. He was stopped, though, for a one-yard gain on the next play and Roethlisberger was sacked by Ty Law for a six-yard loss. On thtird-and-15 from their 40-yard line, Roethlisberger lined up out of the shotgun and hit Hines Ward over the middle for a 28-yard gain. Parker added a seven-yard gain and Roethlisberger found Ward in a crowd for a seven-yard gain. Parker went off left tackle for nine yards, where he was stood up by Greg Wesley. Parker, though, was unaffected by the hard hit and on the next play twisted and turned around the defenders for an eight-yard touchdown and a 21-0 lead.

The Steelers got the ball back quickly thanks to the continued tough play by the defense, which forced another three-and-out. Davenport came in to give Parker a break and responded with a 48-yard run to the Chiefs 17-yard line. Parker came back in and added a four-yard carry. On the next play, Roethlisberger went to Ward in the end zone for a 13-yard touchdown and a 28-0 lead.

The stellar defensive play continued for the Steelers. On third down Troy Polamalu burst through the line and stopped Johnson for a two-yard loss, forcing the fourth three-and-out for the Chiefs in the half.

The Steelers added a 32-yard Jeff Reed field goal to go into halftime leading 31-0 and dominating on all fronts. The Steelers gained 372 yards in the half, while holding the Chiefs to 47 total yards.

The second half started the way the majority of the first half went for the Chiefs – with the Steelers forcing another three-and-out. But it looked like they would finally catch a break. On the Steelers ensuing drive, Parker fumbled and Kawika Mitchell recovered for the Chiefs at the Steelers 22-yard line.

But it wouldn't be. Huard threw two incomplete passes, before Polamalu intercepted him and returned it 49 yards. A 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty was tacked on to the play after Johnson tackled Polamalu by his hair, giving the Steelers a first-down at the Chiefs 18-yard line. But the Steelers were unable to capitalize on the interception as Reed's 28-yard field goal attempt went wide right.

The Chiefs offense came to life on their next drive. Huard completed two passes to Parker for 17 and 15 yards. He then found Eddie Kennison for 25 yards to the Steelers 17-yard line. Johnson capped the drive with a two-yard touchdown run.

Things kept rolling for the Steelers offense as they answered the Chiefs score, moving the ball down the field courtesy of the ground game and finishing it off with a one-yard touchdown run by Davenport, extending the lead to 38-7.

Linebacker Rian Wallace added a 30-yard interception return to put the finishing touches on the win.

GAME INACTITVES: Steelers - WR Willie Reid, RB Duce Staley, CB Jovon Johnson, LB Joey Porter, C Marvin Philip, G Kendall Simmons, OT Willie Colon and LB James Harrison. Chiefs - QB Trent Green, CB Benny Sapp, RB Michael Bennett, LB Rich Scanlon, OG Tre Stallings, C Rudy Niswanger, OT Will Svitek and WR Dante Hall.

Hines Ward has now caught a pass in 124 straight games, a Steelers record…Chad Brown's sack in the game was the 31st of his Steelers career, moving him into a tie for 12th place on the team's all-time sack list with Mike Merriweather.

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST QUARTER
TD Willie Parker, 3 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 10:45. Drive: 7 plays, 73 yards in 4:15.
TD Nate Washington, 47 Yd pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick is good), 0:50. Drive: 2 plays, 58 yards in 0:45.
2ND QUARTER
TD Willie Parker, 8 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 9:31. Drive: 9 plays, 80 yards in 5:15.
TD Hines Ward, 13 Yd pass from Ben Roethlisberger (Jeff Reed kick is good), 6:20. Drive: 3 plays, 65 yards in 1:32.
FG Jeff Reed 32 Yd, 0:00. Drive: 12 plays, 76 yards in 4:12.
3RD QUARTER
TD Larry Johnson, 2 Yd run (Lawrence Tynes kick is good), 6:00. Drive: 11 plays, 80 yards in 4:21.
4TH QUARTER
TD Najeh Davenport, 1 Yd run (Jeff Reed kick is good), 12:40. Drive: 13 plays, 62 yards in 8:20.
TD Rian Wallace, 30 Yd interception return, 3:31.
 10-15-2006, 07:11 PM         #255
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Theres my boi. Keep it going. Good job
 10-17-2006, 07:56 PM         #256
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers seemed to have found a one-two punch in their ground game with Willie Parker and Najeh Davenport.

Parker had 21 carries for 109 yards, his third 100-yard game this season, and added two touchdowns against the Chiefs. Davenport had 12 carries for 78 yards, including a 48-yard run, and scored from a yard out.

Davenport was signed after the Steelers defeated the Miami Dolphins and many looked at him to take over the role that Jerome Bettis filled. But, despite his size at 6-1, 247 pounds, he brings something different to the table than Bettis did.

"I don't think I'm the type of back Jerome was," said Davenport. "I like to use my speed as an accent, although I got run down by a defensive lineman."

Davenport was talking about a second-quarter run when he broke free for 48-yards, but was tracked down by Chiefs defensive lineman Jared Allen and tackled at the Kansas City 17-yard line.

But his play, the first extensive playing time he has received since signing with the team, impressed many.

"It seems like he just got here," said guard Alan Faneca. "To pick it up enough and get in a game and help us out like he has - that's big. That's something, especially for a running back coming in and getting a feel for a system, and seeing how we're doing and see how we look at plays. To do that in a month, that's asking a lot."

The Steelers ground game has had ups and downs this season, but after a game when the team put up 219 total rushing yards, it seems it's on the rise.

"We did a good job," said Faneca. "Everybody got their hands on the ball back there. We were clicking up front and I think we have to do our job up front, foremost, and give them the holes to run through.

"We have to get that going before we get the passing game going and everything kind of plays off of that. I think everybody knows that."
 10-17-2006, 07:57 PM         #257
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Tuesday, October 17, 2006
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Just when they needed it most, the Steelers not only got a win, but they got complete game from all aspects of the team.

No aspect was more obvious, though, than the play of quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

After throwing seven interceptions and no touchdowns in his three starts this year, Roethlisberger turned it around on Sunday against the Chiefs and threw two touchdown passes and had no interceptions.

"It was about being smart; throwing to the guys in the black jerseys, not the white jerseys," said Roethlisberger. "We did a good job of not turning the ball over. I found the guys that were open. I haven't seen any stats, but I think we did a good job of completing passes – short ones, long ones, a lot of different types of plays."

He also had more time to throw. Against the Chargers a week earlier he found himself under pressure much of the game and was sacked five times. Only one sack was allowed against the Chiefs.

"The pocket was big. I had lots of time to sit in there," said Roethlisberger. "I don't think I had to get out of the pocket at any time. The line did a phenomenal job. I can't say enough for how those guys did - all five of them. Chris (Kemoeatu) did a great job of stepping up for Kendall (Simmons). Those guys gave me a pocket, and when we do that and the receivers get open, I think we can be pretty dangerous."

Roethlisberger completed 16 of 19 passes for 238 yards and a passer rating of 153.8, a far cry from the 41.7 rating he had through the first three games of the season.

"We wanted to go out offensively and play better football," said Roethlisberger. "We had a lot of critics this week, as we probably deserved, so we went out and proved them wrong. But the biggest thing is that we went out and executed the game plan.

"We never fall into believing the critics. We believe in what's going on in the locker room, and we believe in each other. We know that we haven't played good football – we don't need outside critics to tell us that. We had to come out and play Steelers football, and I think we did a good job of doing that, in all phases of the game."

The passing game was well distributed, with Roethlisberger throwing to seven different targets. Four receivers had over 40 yards receiving, with Hines Ward having five receptions for 59 yards and a touchdown and Nate Washington catching three passes for 68 yards and a touchdown.

"It was important for us to come out and really get it going early," said Roethlisberger of the offense. "We did a good job of that. The first two plays, we weren't sure what was going to happen, and then we came out and really started making plays. We moved down the field really well – I'm not sure how many times we punted, but I don't think it was too many. It was important. I was really happy to be on the same page with the receivers and really get things cooking."

The Steelers now have to keep the momentum going. They travel to Atlanta to take on a dangerous Falcons team on Sunday and are hoping to keep things rolling.

"We hope that this can be a turning point for us," said Roethlisberger. "We didn't have our heads down; we didn't think this was a do-or-die situation. We knew that we had to come out and play good football, and I think we did a good job of that.

"I felt good out there today, though, I felt that things were really clicking well. I'd love to feel like this every week."
 10-17-2006, 08:40 PM         #258
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

10-17-2006, 09:23 PM         #259
Krieger08  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Oooh I like them, I like them. But I think they need to add another one to the collection
 10-17-2006, 11:00 PM         #260
flex001  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Krieger08 said:
Oooh I like them, I like them. But I think they need to add another one to the collection
YESSIR!! dont worry were gettin another one this year... we always have gone back 2 back
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
27 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
53 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
207 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
83 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy