Jul 11 - Blacks - Here's What SOME (Latinos) Think About You

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
104 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Offset got a new $70k Ric Flair chain
46 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
vida guerra
10 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Snoop Dogg Issues Warning To George Zimmerman: I Have Jay-Z’s Back
89 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

????????

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #1
10020 pageviews
230 comments

memyselfni 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,555 | Props total: 1 1
Jul 11 - Blacks - Here's What SOME (Latinos) Think About You

[pic - click to view]

http://www.heraldsun.com/ .. /4-751477.html

Jul 10, 2006 : 8:34 pm ET

DURHAM -- Latino immigrants bring negative attitudes toward blacks with them from their home countries rather than develop them after they arrive here, a team including four Duke and two UNC researchers say.

The study, which will appear in the August issue of the Journal of Politics analyzed survey data drawn from Durham residents in 2003.

Latinos also more often identified with whites than blacks, although whites were less likely to see themselves as having much in common with Latinos.

The survey asked 500 residents nearly equally divided among the three groups. The researchers chose Durham because of its nearly 500 percent increase in Latino population between 1990 and 2000, and because its black population spans socioeconomic levels.

"What surprised us most was the high level of negative stereotypes on the part of Latino immigrants," said Paula McClain, a professor of political science at Duke University and the study's lead author. "We were also, I guess, pleasantly surprised at the low level of stereotypes of blacks held by whites in Durham. Less than 10 percent of our sample of whites held negative stereotypes of blacks. And that blacks were more tolerant of Latino immigrants than Latino immigrants were of blacks."

The survey asked such questions as whether members of one group saw the others as hardworking, trustworthy or easy to get along with.

A majority of Latino immigrants, 58.9 percent, said few or almost no blacks are hardworking. Nearly one-third said few if any blacks are easy to get along with. And nearly 57 percent said few if any blacks could be trusted.

Only one-third of blacks, on the other hand, said they distrusted Latino immigrants; 42.8 percent said most or nearly all Latinos are easy to get along with; and 72 percent characterized them as hard-working.

Negative views toward blacks tended to be higher among male Latinos but lower among those who were more educated. Although it was too small to be statistically significant, some evidence suggested that unfavorable perceptions lessen with time spent in the United States.

Latinos seemed unlikely to have absorbed the attitudes from whites, the researchers said, mostly because whites were more positive toward blacks. Only 9.3 percent of whites said few blacks work hard, only 8.4 percent said few or no blacks are hard to get along with and only 9.6 percent said few if any blacks can be trusted.

More than three-quarters, 78 percent, of Latinos said they have more in common with whites than blacks. But whites said they have more in common with blacks -- 45.9 percent, as opposed to 22.2 percent saying they have more in common with Latinos.

Blacks were split on whether they have more in common with Latinos or whites -- 49.6 percent and 45.5 percent, respectively.

Through El Centro Hispano, Durham's Latino community supports advocacy for the economic interests of poor people of all races and ethnic backgrounds in Durham, said Alba Onofrio, El Centro's director. One way it does so is as a member organization of Durham CAN, which stands for Congregations, a.ssociations and Neighborhoods.

Friction arises from causes besides race, she said.

"We find that more often it's a matter of class and not of race," Onofrio said.

And although Hispanics are El Centro's main constituency, it aids other local immigrants, such as the Tanzanian a.ssociation, which meets at its offices, she said.

Onofrio suggested that Durham Latinos' attitudes toward blacks may be affected by black-on-Hispanic robbery, which gained a high profile in the mid-1990s as Latino immigration to Durham increased. But that, too, has more to do with blacks and Latinos living in close proximity, with both groups in dire economic straits, rather than race per se, she said.

"That creates a tension, because people aren't able to see out of that box that they live in," she said.

Although the study didn't look at crime, other evidence suggests Latino immigrants' attitudes about race may be formed in Mexico, where most Durham immigrants are from, McClain said. Recent studies there have documented racism and discrimination toward darker-skinned people, she said.

Three others of the study's 10 authors are at Duke: Niambi M. Carter, Victoria DeFrancesco Soto and Monique Lyle. UNC researchers Gerald F. Lackey and Kendra Davenport Cotton participated, as did J. Alan Kendrick of St. Augustine's College in Raleigh.

In the United States, relations can improve as long as people are willing to examine their presuppositions, McClain said.

"If you recognize these attitudes exist, you can begin to ameliorate them," she said. "The question is, since they exist, what do we do about them?"

230 comments for "Jul 11 - Blacks - Here's What SOME (Latinos) Think About You"

07-11-2006, 10:28 AM         #2
SweetHIBISCUS26 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think it's a class thing...in south american and caribbean countries complextion is a pretty good indicator of socioeconomic standing...most of the time. So it's only natural for immigrants to come to North America with these preconceived ideas...
 11 years ago '04        #3
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
I knew of the prejudice attitudes some latinos felt about us.

It kind of makes you wonder why the few that do feel this way would wake up and realize they are getting used by the elite just like blacks are and have been for decades.

But that moment will come soon in time.....
 07-11-2006, 10:38 AM         #4
KINGB4EVER'06 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
WTF HOW CAN (SOME) LATINOS FROM MEXICO LOOK DOWN ON BLACK PEOPLE...........SMFH WERE NOT HARD WORKERS????? THIS sh*t BOILS MY BLOOD I SHOW LOVE TO ALL RACES I CAN'T HATE THEM IT'S JUST 1 fu*kED UP STUDY....LOL........AT A LARGE AMOUNT OF ILLEGALS NOT BEING ABLE 2 SPEAK ENGLISH AND SAYING WERE HARD 2 GET ALONG WITH .............
 07-11-2006, 10:44 AM         #5
r-dog1116 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Its the world we live in........
 11 years ago '04        #6
certifiedplaya1 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,365 | Props total: 162 162
man there is a neighborhood down here where all the mexicans absolutely hate us(blacks) , i kno this because they came to my nieghborhood and started spraypainting all this sh*t and trying to start f!ghts with us for no damn reason but one did get there a.ss whooped tho hahahaha
 11 years ago '05        #7
Hyphy707 
space
space
$1,622 | Props total: 1 1
Just another reason for the white man to separate us. I'm latino, my dad came from honduras in 71' and there's hella blacks out there. They do have a preconception of blacks, but in San Francisco, I ended up in an all black and samoan school, so all my friends were black. Then i moved up north to a white county, and same thing, there was a natural friendship that was built between myself and blacks. Most of my friends are black, but i have a lot of white, polynesian, middle eastern friends. Latinos and blacks are more united in the Bay Area than in somewhere like Los Angeles. The Bay has so many different culture's it's like a melting pot like NY. People don't really trip off race over here, some do, but not enough to make a difference. My dad used to hate blacks, but over time, it was all because of the Black Panther sh*t that was going on back then, when they were terrorizing latinos for no reason, and they weren't like the blacks back in Honduras. To hate a race is ignorant. I wonder who these "qualified people" who were interviewed were? Here's the thing, we all have different colors, cultures, styles, languages, but we're all in this f!ght together, so many latinos ARE black, by skin, but come from Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Venezuela, Columbia, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Cuba, Dominican Republic, we have to accept them, because they're all our people. I don't see why everyone wants US to hate eachother, we're all just trying to succeed and not be sold like slaves to the federal prisons. True there's more latinos than blacks in the US. but who's the cause of that?? Corporate America, who has more influence than the Prez.

Props if ya feel me, and props if you're not gonna let no poll in the middle of nowhere change your feelings toward another. Cuz I won't.
 11 years ago '05        #8
Hyphy707 
space
space
$1,622 | Props total: 1 1
 BRAZZ said:
who cares what they think...tell those low life spikes to get a job that pays more then 9.00
See this? That's ignorance. Come to Cali even the day laborers make like $12 and hour. maybe where you're from, but in Cali, we got dough, everybody does. You're probably the type that would blame a latino person cuz you can't get a job right? :finger:

Dumb fucs like you never get through in life with silly thoughts like that.
 11 years ago '04        #9
RAPSOURCE2003 10 heat pts10
space
space
$2,218 | Props total: 17 17
 KINGB4EVER'06 said:
WTF HOW CAN (SOME) LATINOS FROM MEXICO LOOK DOWN ON BLACK PEOPLE...........SMFH WERE NOT HARD WORKERS????? THIS sh*t BOILS MY BLOOD I SHOW LOVE TO ALL RACES I CAN'T HATE THEM IT'S JUST 1 fu*kED UP STUDY....LOL........AT A LARGE AMOUNT OF ILLEGALS NOT BEING ABLE 2 SPEAK ENGLISH AND SAYING WERE HARD 2 GET ALONG WITH .............

DO U EVEN WORK????????

WELL ENOUGH OF THAT I SEE THIS THREAD IS ABOUT TO START INTO SOME RACIST sh*t.... THINGS LIKE THIS MAKES US MORE DIVIDED AGAINST EACH OTHER............................................. .................................................. .
 11 years ago '04        #10
dj X 33 heat pts33
space
space
$18,739 | Props total: 6445 6445
tengo un gato en mis pantalones!!!!!!!!!
 11 years ago '06        #11
Kick Dayez 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,686 | Props total: 254 254
 memyselfni said:
"If you recognize these attitudes exist, you can begin to ameliorate them," she said.

never heard that one before
 07-11-2006, 11:09 AM         #12
NoneyaB 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Similar to what "Hyphy" said, it depends where in the U.S. you are talking about as to how latinos and blacks view each other. Like NY is more of a united thing, I think, then L.A. and what not.

But that poll seems real suspect anyways. I don't believe for a second that only 10% of whites view blacks with negative stereotypes. That's total bullsh*t. I've been to North Carolina, and the white people there were racist as sh*t towards me. Security in the mall tried to jack my boy up for stealing, when he didn't take a damn thing.

Last edited by NoneyaB; 07-11-2006 at 11:11 AM..
 11 years ago '04        #13
memphis10 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,599 | Props total: 2994 2994
In the South I can pretty much understand, Blacks and whites been here for awhile then you have those mexican immigrants coming in being so prejudicial with a low education.

sidenote:

Africans helped in the building of the aztec and inca civilizations and were incorporated in to their society. Africans transversed over the Atlantic ocean seeking trades over periods of time, it's documented there artifacts and
writings. A percentage of Africans a.ssimilated into their societies.

11 years ago '04        #14
Rufus The Stunt 
space
space
space
$4,355 | Props total: 0 0
The oppressed just about always mimic the oppressors so who can really be surprised. We do it within our own race as well (the light skinned obsession). The black man is the most hated, yet most feared organism to ever exist.

But this article is just trying to start some sh*t
 11 years ago '04        #15
memphis10 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,599 | Props total: 2994 2994
 07-11-2006, 11:16 AM         #16
NoneyaB 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 memphis10 said:
sidenote:

Africans helped in the building of the aztec and inca civilizations and were incorporated in to their society. Africans transversed over the Atlantic ocean seeking trades over periods of time, it's documented there artifacts and
writings. A percentage of Africans a.ssimilated into their societies.

Yeah, also when slaves were initially brought over into the Americas, they were used as free labor right alongside the South American indians (Incas, etc.) that had been victims of European imperialization. They a.ssimilated into their societies through that.
 11 years ago '04        #17
ItAlY2BkLyN 238 heat pts238
space
space
$22,155 | Props total: 9511 9511
Props for posting news, but these kind of threads do nothing except spread hate and fuel the fire between us. I hate to see that the threads that put one race against another are the ones that are always on fire. Until there are no more stories like this in the news, we can never begin to move foward.

You should have also put a poll choice that is not negative ie "who gives a fu*k about this story"

Last edited by ItAlY2BkLyN; 07-11-2006 at 11:20 AM..
 07-11-2006, 11:20 AM         #18
NoneyaB 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 majestic75 said:
everybody thinks NY is like one big ball of racial harmony, where all races get along. it's the complete opposite. ny is one of the most segregated places in the country. when my older brother and cousins were in school they had all kids of race riots...black vs white, black vs puerto rican, white vs spanish etc.
I been living in NY for a couple of years now, and I ain't trying to say all races get along. I'm just saying, from what I see, blacks and latinos get along more than in a place like L.A. I guess it depends where you're at in NY though too.
 07-11-2006, 11:25 AM         #19
crmlbywonder 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
alot of hispanics feel they are "stuck" with us and they want to "move up" to a class with white people.
 07-11-2006, 11:35 AM         #20
Pexiliod 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
man the same goes both ways, some blacks aint tolerant n some are, same wit latinos n whites..these survey's are what keeps people segregated..u go to school to do dirty work for free, its called mind control and its used to have us f!ghtin each other..that sh*t is an one area, that sh*t isnt even of the whole country..go to africa and ask them how they feel bout african americans..same sh*t just segregating us to think low of the next man...what we need is unity and peace, not this unneccesary research that doesnt benefit anybody but the government because they can control population also *cough* Katrina *cough*...
Home      

most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
83 comments
24 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
124 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
90 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
53 comments
24 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
69 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
173 comments
24 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
80 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
36 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy