Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
54 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Warren Sapp blames CTE for sexually harassing woman
62 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
73 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
130 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-20-2006, 03:06 PM         #1
14108 pageviews
18 comments

richardsonc 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1 inch in your arms a day

someone probly posted this already, and this is not my work log i havent done it yet..... but here ya go fam

this article was in M&F, haven't tried this myself yet but I loved reading it, crazy arm workout

Gain One Inch in One Day
Try it for yourself -- the most amazing arm program ever printed in M&F
Story by: David Sandler, MS, CSCS, CCS

A little more than 10 years ago, when I was in the prime of my lifting career, I tried an arm program that purported to add an inch in size in 24 hours. Being young, ambitious and looking for every possible way to get huge, my lifting partner and I set out to tackle this insane nine-hour, 90-set workout.

In short, we performed three triceps/biceps supersets every hour on the hour and two supersets on the half-hour, from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m. Combined with an elaborate eating plan, serious muscle soreness, nausea, light-headedness and overall malaise, we proceeded to train like maniacs to gain that inch. And we did! In fact, two weeks later, we still had nearly three-quarters of an inch remaining.

A few thousand hours of schooling, research and training later, I decided it was time to ask why, and more importantly, to see if we could replicate the results in a lab setting while using a less-intensive program. We decided that to do this routine in about half the time, we'd need to do two-thirds of the original volume to produce a similar effect. I and four other men, regular lifters ages 22-35, took on the daunting task of doing 60 sets in five hours. This is our journey.

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN

We exercised at 20-minute intervals, manipulating the number of sets and the muscles' time under tension each workout within each hour of the program. We chose only barbell and dumbbell exercises; since no one except the extremely dedicated (or insane) wants to hang out in a gym for five hours, this bad boy -- still five hours long -- is built for home. You'll need a bench, a set of dumbbells, a barbell and a.ssorted weight plates.

Each workout is a superset (see "The 1-Inch-in-a-Day Arm Routine"). Don't rest between exercises for more than the time it takes to put one weight down and pick another up; take about 90 seconds of rest between supersets. It's critical that you move quickly so you have time to rest between workouts. The first group of exercises takes nearly nine minutes to complete, allowing only 11 minutes to prep for the second group of exercises; by the end of the day, those 11 minutes will feel like 11 seconds!

Control your rep speed as much as possible, and employ cheating for only the last rep or two. Choosing the amount of weight to use can be tricky, but follow these general rules of thumb: For each exercise, choose a weight with which you can get the prescribed number of reps and maybe one or two more, but no more than that. As a starting point, you could use 70% of your one-rep max for each move. Also realize that you may have to drop your poundages as the day progresses, but don't ever go so light that the lift is no longer challenging.

After the first hour, we were all up three-quarters of an inch relaxed, a half-inch flexed. Each hour, we re-recorded measurements. After our final sets, we were up an average of three-quarters of an inch flexed and 1 full inch relaxed. Of course, by the end of the program, brushing our teeth, scratching our backs and anything requiring the arms to flex less than 90 degrees was next to impossible. In fact, our arms were basically stuck at an isometric hold of about 120 degrees for the rest of the day.

Twenty-four hours later we measured again. Results for most had not changed, as we averaged a half- to three-quarters of an inch across the board both flexed and un-flexed. Good news, though: We'd all returned to almost full range of motion. By the end of the week, with no workouts in between, the group averaged between a quarter- to half-inch gain.

SCIENCE WEIGHS IN

Other scientific studies regarding this kind of workout simply don't exist. In the scientific community, the only people crazy enough to try this were in the lab with me that day. Yet some explanations could theoretically be responsible for the gains.

Let's first look at mechanisms for muscle hypertrophy. We know that muscle size increases by increasing the thickness of the myofilaments, or protein strands, within the contractile portion of the muscle. We also know that the number of myofibrils, the contractile structure made up of myofilaments, increase with training. Some research has shown that it may also be possible for muscle fibers themselves to split, known as hyperplasia, after which the new fibers increase in size, although this hasn't been well documented in human beings. Lastly, the entire cellular structure -- all the proteins, cell walls and other material that supports and anchors the contractile machine itself -- increases in overall size and thickness via training.

So we know we can increase fiber thickness, but can it be done as quickly as on this program? Technically, no.

SWELL GAINS

The most logical explanation for our gains lies in the way the body handles injury to a cell. When a muscle is damaged, it's swarmed with new satellite cells that go to work rebuilding the tissue. At the same time, swelling begins to occur from increased water retention by the muscle fiber itself. This water retention appears to stay for a few days or more with very heavy resistance training. In fact, participants in a 1998 training study were reported to maintain tissue swelling for up to seven days post-exercise! Over a long enough period, however, the cell would surely return to normal size.

Thus, swelling seems to be the culprit, but the story doesn't end there. The permanent effect -- the reason we seem to have been able to hold part of our gains (one-quarter- to a half an inch) for several months at the time of this writing -- is from our continued training. Since returning to our normal training programs, we've maintained the size, meaning we've maintained the overall volume of the tissue simply because we began another breakdown process before the muscle fibers completely returned to normal. In the long run, this may pose a problem, as effects of the swelling-repairing process can overcome your gains if you don't strike the proper balance of training and recuperation. That's a matter of ongoing scientific discovery.

In the meantime, I would suggest attempting this program only at three-month intervals, taking a full week off before resuming any exercise in which the arms play a significant role. Needless to say, don't train if you still feel pain or tenderness or show marked bruising or swelling.

An inch in a day? As farfetched as it may seem, it actually is possible. I lived it -- and now it's your turn to try it for yourself. M&F

David Sandler, MS, CSCS, CCS, is a professor of exercise physiology and strength and conditioning at Florida International University, where he directs the strength and conditioning curriculum. Sandler is also a founding partner in StrengthPro, a Miami-based strength-consulting firm:
[pic - click to view]

www.strengthpro.com

The 1-Inch-in-a-Day Arm Routine

Time* Exercise Sets Reps
0 Standing Barbell Curl 3 8
-- superset with --
Seated Two-Hand Overhead Dumbbell Extension** 3 8
20 Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curl 2 12
-- superset with --
Two-Arm Dumbbell Kickback 2 12
40 "Crazy 6's" Barbell Curl*** 1 6
-- superset with --
"Crazy 6's" Lying Barbell French Press 1 6
Repeat this every hour for five hours total.
Rest 90 seconds between supersets.

* Time refers to the part of each hour the listed exercises are performed. For instance, "0" could be 2 p.m., "20" would be 2:20 p.m. and "40" would be 2:40 p.m.
** Use a low-back bench or chair if you have one; otherwise sit at the end of a flat bench.
*** Crazy 6's use a six-second positive and six-second negative for six reps (total of 72 seconds of tension on the muscles).

Nutritional Support
As for the eating plan we followed during our insane five-hour, 60-set workout, it was just as crazy. We ate once per hour, and these were our five meals:
Meal 1: 1 banana, plus mix together: 8 oz. ground turkey, white rice, garlic-basil tomato sauce and your choice of spices
Meal 2: Same as Meal 1
Meal 3: 4 hard-boiled egg whites + 1 banana
Meal 4: 6 oz. fat-free cottage cheese mixed with your choice of fruit
Meal 5: 40 g whey protein + 6 fat-free Oreo cookies (a reward for the effort!)

18 comments for "1 inch in your arms a day"

11 years ago '06        #2
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,832 | Props total: 1170 1170
This is rediculous...has anyone actually tried this and got these promising results? To be honest i doubt any will...The volume is way to great...a total of 60 sets on bi's and tri's in a span of FIVE HOURS?? Im not guna even waste anymore time on this BUT i will prop u for the effort on findin the article becuase i always like readin different routines and the "promises" that following will bring...Just remember, in this industry if sumthing sounds too good to be tru....its probaly is...Take it ez

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 06-20-2006 at 09:28 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #3
allstar3004 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$519 | Props total: 44 44
^

damn man, actually try it before you say it dont work.
 11 years ago '06        #4
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,832 | Props total: 1170 1170
 allstar3004 said:
^

damn man, actually try it before you say it dont work.
I never said it wont...i said it doubt it will...i explained why...Two theories here which is mine vs his and the guy that wrote the artice himself said...How could you sit here and tell me doing 30 sets on your bi's and 30 sets on your tri's within 5 hours will not overtrain ure arms? Its common sense...And unless this person has found a routine which defies principles adopted by many weightlefters worldwide i doubt it can gurantee its outrageous promises. Like i said before
this industry if sumthing sounds too good to be tru....its probaly is
....Dont get caught up in the hype....
 06-21-2006, 02:19 AM         #5
Awperator2  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
nothing that will actually help you in the long run will happen in 1 day, stop trying to get fast results
 06-21-2006, 07:50 AM         #6
Daddy's Home...  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'ma just go head and quote myself...

Daddy's Home... said:
His arms grew from increased blood flow, lactic acid and internal bruising and swelling... It has nothing to do wit muscular growth and his arms would be back to normal within a week, no, two days...
See how he tries to say he kept half to a quarter of his gains...? Notice the vague, nearly non-existant attempt at an explanation... "we began another breakdown process before the muscle fibers completely returned to normal"... So he's in a constant state of overtraining then, never recouperated... That sounds great... Could never backfire or hamper gains, nuh uh... In fact, what he's saying there, is that a muscle fiber is larger before it's fully recouperated, than after... Come on...

Seriously, it's in M&F... This cat prolly doesn't believe what he's saying himself, he just needs to post his monthly article to get his check so he can keep writing on the side about what he really believes, till he gets published and enough of a name to live off that...

As far a having to try suttin before saying whether or not it works... If I told you that you could fly if you flapped your arms really, REALLY fast, would you seriously go out and try that sh*t, or would you go wit common sense, logic and physics and laugh it off as a joke...?

Right...
 11 years ago '05        #7
victorious187 
space
space
space
$787 | Props total: 545 545
thats wild dog
 11 years ago '05        #8
couplewords 
space
space
$1,072 | Props total: 0 0
I'm surprised they let that article in the magazine...they usually have decent advice in there. But no one should try this....its real irresponsible to advice anyone to try this. Bodybuilding is simple....and takes time
 06-21-2006, 10:38 PM         #9
Montro  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
..........I remain skeptical
 06-22-2006, 04:16 PM         #10
fmf_123  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
kkkkkkk

Last edited by fmf_123; 10-29-2006 at 01:06 PM..
 11 years ago '06        #11
canal_boys 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,305 | Props total: 445 445
thats sum ridic stuff
 06-27-2006, 06:47 PM         #12
ILLmag 7  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
who has the time for that?

06-27-2006, 07:38 PM         #13
SeaN diggz  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im Not Gonna Lie I Have Tryed This And While I Can Say I Have Seen Results I Could Honestly Say It Was No More Then Half Of Inch And I Considerd It Me Being Swollen Instead Of Actually Gaining Because 1 Week Later I Was No Bigger Then The Week Before Only Maybe That Extra 1/4
 11 years ago '04        #14
brooklonsfinest 
space
space
$1,379 | Props total: 51 51
 SeaN diggz said:
Im Not Gonna Lie I Have Tryed This And While I Can Say I Have Seen Results I Could Honestly Say It Was No More Then Half Of Inch And I Considerd It Me Being Swollen Instead Of Actually Gaining Because 1 Week Later I Was No Bigger Then The Week Before Only Maybe That Extra 1/4

i believe it will work, but i dont think its worth risking injury....this is for serious body builders IMO
 11 years ago '06        #15
jwhaley 
space
space
$624 | Props total: 0 0
sounds too good to be true
 11 years ago '05        #16
kaderg911 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,299 | Props total: 0 0
yeh tru say
 11 years ago '06        #17
imthatinfamous 39 heat pts39
space
space
$7,997 | Props total: 3482 3482
props god
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
76 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
43 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
290 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
97 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
251 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside PUBG XBOX ONE Official Thread
156 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
113 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy