Is 16 bars equal to 16 lines? (w/ a POLL this time)

most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
113 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
62 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
77 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
81 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

ONE bar is equal to...
ONE line. 34 33.33%
TWO lines. 51 50.00%
i have no fuckin idea... 5 4.90%
i THOUGHT i knew... but not sure anymore. 12 11.76%
Voters: 102. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 04-28-2006, 11:22 AM         #21
f0twenty  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
In reality...8 bars is 16 lines...and 16 bars is actually 32 lines....believe me..I rap myself and actually know the difference between it..

And count the seconds in a song for one verse...and I can guarantee its anywhere from 35-42 seconds..depending on how long or short the lines are themselves...a typical 16 is like 40 seconds though..because an 8 line chorus would be 20 seconds roughly...
 04-28-2006, 12:03 PM         #22
choong  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
depends on ur flow, the tempo of the track n how u spitting it.....i wrote 16 for a slow flow then i decided to spit it wid a fast flow instead n it only took up half of the track, had to write anova 16...but when i normally write bars....a line a bar usually dus it
 04-28-2006, 12:08 PM         #23
Apostrophe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
there is NEVER more than 16 bars per verse, otherwise the song would be uneven!!!!
Alot of songs are more or less then 16. They just cant be an odd number. You could spit 18 or 20 but never 19 or 21. Well I guess you could it would just sound like you didnt know what the fu*k you were doing. Look at Bis, he often spits 50 to 100 straight. It all depends on how the beat is constructed. And your discription was flawed. Not every dude has the same rhyme scheme. Heres 2 bars from G rap compared to 2 bars from Canibus from the same song. Same amount of bars, but vastly different ryme progression.

G RAP
Cops see me in Maddox, then let ya dame have it, flames to the attic
The stains on ya fabric, the paint in the graphic

Bis
The whole globe scared of my flow, spirit world scared of my soul
Nowadays it's like I'm scared to be known
 04-28-2006, 12:09 PM         #24
Don Cartagena  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JaEx said:
1 bar = 2 lines
he got it right :applause:
 12 years ago '05        #25
YARKONE 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,500 | Props total: 378 378
16 bars = 32 lines.
 04-28-2006, 12:27 PM         #26
KandyRedSS  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 killawee said:
Music can be however many bars u want it too, ive layed tracks wit 14 bars, 12 bars etc. u can even do 7 bars if u line the music up like that
the BASIC bars for rap music then is 16 for a verse, 8 for a chorus, rinse n repeat.
 04-28-2006, 02:04 PM         #27
KillaCam2939  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
1 bar = 2 lines IMO, thats what I've always thought.
 12 years ago '04        #28
Jamaro85 
space
space
$10,610 | Props total: 3 3
 KandyRedSS said:
yall need to quit acting like since u think thats what it is, then thats what it is.

a line is 1 measurement of music

a bar is 2 measurements of music

there is NEVER more than 16 bars per verse, otherwise the song would be uneven!!!!

16 bars or 32 lines

example:

"Well i'm ridin by myself, well really, not really." <----one line, one line ends when u say the word ur going to rhyme.

"So heavy in the trunk, make the car pop a wheelie" <-----add that in, then u got urself a bar!!!

so....

"well im ridin by myself, well really not really.
so heavy in the trunk, it makes the car pop a wheelie."<----thats a bar, say 16 times, and i bet u money that u the chorus comes right up.
I'd have to take your money. How often do you see rappers spit 32 lines in a verse?

"Riding by myself, well really not really
So heavy in the trunk make the car pop a wheelie
Who? Weezy baby, or call me young Baby
My money 360, you only 180
Half of the game too lazy
Still sleeping on me, but I'm 'bout to wake 'em
Yup, I'm 'bout to take 'em to New Orleans and bake 'em
Yeah, its hot down here, take a walk with Satan, yeah
Come on mama, let the Carter make ya
Toss ya like a fruit salad, strawberry grape ya
They ball when they can and I'm ballin' by nature
Addicted to the game like Jordan and Peyton
Y'all in the race and me, I'm at the finish line
Been runnin' for too long, it's time to give me mine
Straight down your chimney in your living room, its I
Weezy, allergic to winter time"

You say repeat 2 lines 16 times? That would be 32 lines, and that's definitely not what most rappers spit in a verse, including your own example here.

So you guys talking about 1 bar = 2 lines, maybe that is correct, but then why is it common for people to say 16 bars are in a verse?

Looking at the above verse there are 16 lines, but according to your theory its only 8 bars? I'm lost.

Last edited by Jamaro85; 04-28-2006 at 02:28 PM..
 04-28-2006, 03:05 PM         #29
Crank  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this sh*t again... BARS have to do with music not lyrics... all you sayin you rap and know what your talkin about have no clue... the only ones that are gonna give you a straight answer are producers.... how many lines are spit in a bar depends on the artist... if twista is rappin over a 4/4 beat he is usually gonna spit many lines in 1 bar... if he is on a 3/4 beat he is gonna spit pretty much 1 line per 1 bar...

yall look for answers too much... there is no straight forward, this is how it is, with measures and lines... it all depends on the producer and the artist to see how many lines are in a bar
 04-28-2006, 03:18 PM         #30
DEEPEE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jay-z said, you only get half a bar, "fu*k Y'all n*ggas"

That's half a line so one bar would be one line.
 04-28-2006, 03:27 PM         #31
Crank  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JustForgetIt said:
everybody who says 1 bar is equal to 2 lines are fu*kin text battlers who never made a fu*kin song. dumb a.ss people. musically, a bar is a measure which is 4 beats and would be one line for a rapper regardless of the tempo. that one line is said during those 4 beats and if it goes any longer shorten that sh*t up. such as

I come from tha < BLOCK > anywhere on the < SPOT >

thats one bar and the words in the < > are usually said on the snare which is usually on the 2nd and 4th beat.

if anyone says different they're fu*king stupid and i hope they go to a real studio thinking that dumb sh*t. dumb text battlers

ok so what if you have a beat pattern that goes in the following

S M W

or

S M W S M W

or for that matter what if one bar equals....

S M W S M W S S M W S M
 04-28-2006, 03:29 PM         #32
Arkanjal  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jamaro85 said:
I'd have to take your money. How often do you see rappers spit 32 lines in a verse?

"Riding by myself, well really not really
So heavy in the trunk make the car pop a wheelie
Who? Weezy baby, or call me young Baby
My money 360, you only 180
Half of the game too lazy
Still sleeping on me, but I'm 'bout to wake 'em
Yup, I'm 'bout to take 'em to New Orleans and bake 'em
Yeah, its hot down here, take a walk with Satan, yeah
Come on mama, let the Carter make ya
Toss ya like a fruit salad, strawberry grape ya
They ball when they can and I'm ballin' by nature
Addicted to the game like Jordan and Peyton
Y'all in the race and me, I'm at the finish line
Been runnin' for too long, it's time to give me mine
Straight down your chimney in your living room, its I
Weezy, allergic to winter time"

You say repeat 2 lines 16 times? That would be 32 lines, and that's definitely not what most rappers spit in a verse, including your own example here.

So you guys talking about 1 bar = 2 lines, maybe that is correct, but then why is it common for people to say 16 bars are in a verse?

Looking at the above verse there are 16 lines, but according to your theory its only 8 bars? I'm lost.
people are stuck on thinking a "line" is just when it rhymes....thats INCORRECT. what you posted was 16 bars, not 16 lines. each bar is broken up as such:

Riding by myself / well really not really
So heavy in the trunk / make the car pop a wheelie

listen to where the snares hit, that is typically at 1/2 a bar each. and each of them is a "line".
 12 years ago '04        #33
Jamaro85 
space
space
$10,610 | Props total: 3 3
 Arkanjal said:
people are stuck on thinking a "line" is just when it rhymes....thats INCORRECT. what you posted was 16 bars, not 16 lines. each bar is broken up as such:

Riding by myself / well really not really
So heavy in the trunk / make the car pop a wheelie

listen to where the snares hit, that is typically at 1/2 a bar each. and each of them is a "line".
A line is a vague term, but my definition of it is simply line as in the written breakdown of it...in the case of the verse I posted the end of each written line rhymed. I know what you mean though
 12 years ago '04        #34
EmpTClip 5 heat pts
space
space
$576 | Props total: 337 337
16 bars is 16 lines, if your a twista or krazie bone you dont change it its all the same, they just put more words into one bar then everybody else the formula has been the same for awhile now, if you say otherwise your either

#1-not a real emcee, your just doin it on the net and have learned everything you know about hip hop on the net

#2-you cant count

#3-dumb point blank
 04-28-2006, 04:10 PM         #35
Crank  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 JustForgetIt said:
wether the snare is there or not, all bars are counted like 1 2 3 4 unless the time signature was like 3/4 which is rare in rap. that would be counted 1-2-3. that too would still be considered one bar. once u reach 1 again that starts the other bar. producers know this [ or def should ] and rappers should. your rhyme should still be said on the 4th count or either a little bit before or after or you'll be offbeat. theres plenty of sites giving the same definition of bar such as

which says a bar is a measure

i see what your saying and in most cases thats true but not always... if someone is asking how many lines are in a bar a lot of the time 1 bar or 1 measure equals one line but not always....

as long as the rapper is on beat it doesnt matter if he says 18 lines in 1 bar or 1 line in one bar....

and i agree with you everyone should go an look up the definition of a bar, real definition not some random n*ggas definition, and in none of those definitions will you see the word line... youll see measure and maybe meters, maybe youll see some odd looking drawings over lines, those are notes, or each beat, and the lines are called barlines... nowhere in that definition will you see a rhyme or a bar is a line or any sh*t like that
 04-28-2006, 04:16 PM         #36
Arkanjal  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 EmpTClip said:
16 bars is 16 lines, if your a twista or krazie bone you dont change it its all the same, they just put more words into one bar then everybody else the formula has been the same for awhile now, if you say otherwise your either

#1-not a real emcee, your just doin it on the net and have learned everything you know about hip hop on the net

#2-you cant count

#3-dumb point blank
take a poetry class, learn what a line is, apply that to rap, then reconsider calling people dumb.
 12 years ago '06        #37
A-1 AFiciaL 
space
space
$1,521 | Props total: 53 53
When it comes to hip hop
1 bar = 1 line

A 16 bar verse has 16 lines. not 32

Songs usually have 48 bars (3 16's) and a 8 bar chorus

End of story
 12 years ago '06        #38
A-1 AFiciaL 
space
space
$1,521 | Props total: 53 53
Wow..20 ppl said one bar is 2 lines

fu*kin jus stop listenin to hip hop haha
 12 years ago '04        #39
EmpTClip 5 heat pts
space
space
$576 | Props total: 337 337
 Arkanjal said:
take a poetry class, learn what a line is, apply that to rap, then reconsider calling people dumb.

lol.. i know what a true bar is, its a measure of music y i know this? because i took music class, plus i produce

but when im writting down a verse never do i put TWO lines as ONE bar, that dont even make sense at all, rap and poetry are two different things all though there similar you write the sh*t differently, y i know this? because i have taken a poetry class..lol

some poetry dont even rhyme, but its still poetry, when do u hear RAP songs not rhymin, threw the whole thing? i know what im sayin

theres alot of non emcees speakin on this if you dont rap or havent done any form of music in your life dont speak you wont get it and if you do rap
 04-28-2006, 06:05 PM         #40
FaceMob  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
16 bars is 2 lines.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
177 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
133 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
98 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
56 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Biggie Smalls was Official South Side Compton Crip
59 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
76 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
202 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
75 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy