Miami Hurricanes Preview 2006

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
68 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
60 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA 5 Players Who Were Lebron Before Lebron
52 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12 years ago '04        #101
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
$17,925 | Props total: 4285 4285
Interview about the 2nd string DL

some have whispered this spring that Miami's second-team defensive line is as good as its first team.

And today the second team got a chance to prove whether that was true.

Second-team ends Calais Campbell and Eric Moncur and backup tackles Luqman Abdullah and Eric Moncur were informed in a line meeting earlier today that they would be working with the first team in this afternoon's practice.

How did they do?

"Today was a decent day, wasn't as good as it could have been," Campbell said. "They just wanted to see how some of our guys would do against some of the other guys on offense. It wasn't a line change. They just wanted to see how we'd perform against the No. 1 O line. They were just giving us a chance to show what we could do against some of the more experienced guys."

How did the starting line take the temporary demotion?

Campbell said, "They were cool with it. they know it's a competition for a position. I don't think it's that big a deal. It's not an official change, just to get better work.

"Our D line, we have 15 players that can play against Florida State or any team and do a good job. It just happens that the first team's the first team, the second team's the second team."

* Campbell said of his progress this spring that "A lot of my personal goals I've been reaching. I like what I've been doing."
 12 years ago '04        #102
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
Kirby Freeman talking about Transfering Rumors
Backup quarterback Kirby Freeman says "everybody" has been inquiring as to whether he'll remain at Miami after he indicated a few weeks ago that he was considering transferring.

And Freeman says he's still weighing his options and may not have a definite decision following the spring on what his future will hold.

"It's not important to me right now, the decision," he said. "I don't want to leave. Right now, if I had to make the decision right now, I'm not leaving. When will I make it? I'm not sure.

"There are just so many great things happening right now, it'd be hard to leave and turn away from the situation I've got right here. To say I wouldn't (transfer), I can't come out and say that right now. But what I could say is that I don't want to and I don't see it happening. I'm just having so much fun here. I've set my situation of staying or leaving aside, because for our team to move forward we've got to do that. It's not even in my mind right now. Things will take care of themselves. I hope and pray that everything works out."

* On if he's accomplishing what he set out to get done this spring, Freeman said, "I am. It's exciting. We're just ending up on some good days. This new freshness we have with the staff and the attitude, it's really coming a long way for us. We're into some things right now that have the potential to be really good for us. And we're starting to have that big picture of winning a lot of games back in our mind. So that's nice."
 04-11-2006, 06:16 PM         #103
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Youngblood holds own protecting QB By Jorge Milian

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Sunday, April 09, 2006

CORAL GABLES ? From the moment he stepped on the University of Miami campus last fall, Reggie Youngblood was tagged as the heir apparent to left offensive tackle Eric Winston, who protected the backside of Miami quarterbacks for most of the past three seasons.Youngblood, a 6-foot-5, 307-pound sophomore, has lived up to that designation this spring by solidifying a spot in the lineup that will open the 2006 season against Florida State on Labor Day.Facing veteran defensive ends Bryan Pata and Baraka Atkins, Youngblood has more than held his own in spring practice, which ends Saturday with the spring game in the Orange Bowl.

That's a welcomed development for UM coach Larry Coker whose offensive line must replace four starters. The only incumbent is center Anthony Wollschlager. Of the other offensive linemen on the roster, only Derrick Morse (6) and Andrew Bain (1) have started a game.

No position on UM's line is more important than left tackle, which shields the blind spot for right-handed quarterbacks Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman. With Freeman hinting he may transfer before the start of the 2006 season, a focus on protecting Wright will be imperative.

"He's going to be as good as advertised," Coker said of Youngblood. "He's still young. He's still learning, but he's really going to be a good player, a difference-maker type player. I'm not concerned about him."

Despite playing behind Winston, Youngblood got important snaps as a freshman. After not seeing action in UM's first four games, the Houston native played in the final eight and was used regularly when the Hurricanes went to an unbalanced line that employed three offensive tackles.

"That was real big to get the nerves out," Youngblood said of his freshman experience. "Now, I can just go out and play and not worry about the crowd or the speed of the game or anything."

Youngblood's past opponents usually have done the worrying. As a high school senior, Youngblood was a Parade All-America and was ranked as the nation's No. 9 overall player by Rivals.com.

"He's a talented guy," offensive line coach Mario Cristobal said. "You always worry if a young guy can handle things. ... (but) he's smart, he's tough, he's explosive and he's large."
Posted by mmadl ( Apr 09 2006, 11:43:56 PM EDT ) Permalink Comments [0]

Estero's Morse gains in stature Canes OL weighs 320 pounds now
 12 years ago '04        #104
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
Nike camp MVP

There may not have been one overwhelming performance at this past weekends Nike camp in Miami but there were still several players who shined all camp long making it very tough to pick a camp MVP. The wide receiver position was arguably the strongest in the camp and that's where we decided to go for our choice as the top player in the event.

Tom Hauck

Nike camp MVP Alphonso Bryant has a college body for a WR right now
The criteria for our camp MVP is two fold- a player who does well in both the testing and football portions of the camp. Some players test off the charts but can't play the game while others stand out in the position drills but don't test well enough to gain consideration for camp MVP honors.

Following the testing portion of the camp and position drills, Homestead (Fla.) linebacker Maurice Harris looked like the leading candidate for camp MVP. He tested off the charts earning the top SPARQ Rating of the day (90.91) and looked smooth and active in the position drills. Although he performed well in the one on one drills as well, Harris finished as the No. 3 LB in the event according to our lead LB coach Chris Gizzi and came up just a little short.

There were several very good linemen on both sides of the ball and had mammoth tackle Kevin Bryant, 6-6, 380 pounds out of Hallandale (Fla.) worked out (said sore hamstring limited his mobility, still did camp best 39 reps on the bench) who knows what might have happened. One scout in the area told us he feels Bryant might be the state's best offensive and defensive lineman.

When the one on one drills kicked off, we watched the linemen go at it for a bit and then flocked over to the wide receiver/defensive backs. Our lead WR coach, Tom Shaw, had told us earlier that there were three receivers who were really turning heads for him.

Those three were Jermaine McKenzie from Bradenton Academy (Fla.), Taurus McKinley out of Belle Glade (Fla.) Glades Central and Alphonso Bryant from Homestead (Fla.).

"All three of those kids are big time," Shaw said. "It's tough to pick one who is the best in the group but all three of those kids can really play. All three can run, have good hands and are aggressive going after the ball."

We arrived just in time to see Bryant streak right past a defender for an easy touchdown and a few players later, make an incredible leaping reception jumping over the defender who had blanket coverage on him. At a rock solid 6-0, 190 pounds, Bryant tested off the charts as well running a 4.46-40, 4.28 in the shuttle, jumped 33 inches in the vertical and did 21 reps on the bench and his 84.65 SPARQ Rating will be one of the best of any receiver test this year.

So after taking everything in and talking to the rest of the staff, we decided Bryant deserved the honor of camp MVP.

"Wow, I was never expecting that," an excited Bryant said Monday morning. "My main goal coming in was to improve on every one of my marks from the camp last year and to try and learn something to help me become a better player. I worked really hard in the off-season, especially on my strength and improved my bench reps from 14 to 21. I also learned a lot about what I need to work more on like route running and things like that.

"I had a great time at the camp and it's a great experience to be able to come out and showcase our skills. I was a little nervous last year but I was more relaxed coming in to the event this year because I knew how everything was going to be so I could just go out there and compete hard. There were some real good defensive backs out here and it was fun competing against them."

Bryant was on the Rivals.com pre-season 100 to watch team and has been on the all-Dade team since his sophomore year. We love his combination of size, speed and athleticism and feel he has every tool to be a big time college player in a few years. On the recruiting front, the receiver has received several offers already and told us six schools stand out right now.

"Miami is my top school followed by Florida State, Florida, Clemson, USC and LSU," Bryant said. "I have offers from Miami, Florida St,ate Florida, South Carolina and Pittsburgh and letters from just about everywhere else. I want to take my trips and go through the recruiting process before I make a commitment anywhere."
 12 years ago '04        #105
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
Check this dude out.

kid is amazin and will commit when offered and he will more than likely get that Coker really likes him.

The way El Camino (Calif.) Junior College WR Kayne Farquharson sees things, becoming a Miami Hurricane is his destiny.

Yes, his first name is pronounced `Cane.'

And he grew up in Miami, attending Homestead High School. So why have most recruitniks never heard of the 6-foot-2, 185-pounder?

Because he never played a down of high school football.

"Back in high school I had to babysit my baby sister," he said. "My mom was a single parent with two jobs. I had to provide for my family at the time."

His break came after he graduated, when he was "discovered" at a church football camp by a friend who had ties to El Camino Junior College.

Farquharson applied and was accepted, then came out for the football team. He became a starter after catching five passes for 120 yards and a touchdown in his team's first pre-season scrimmage that year.

"It all came naturally," he said. "I didn't have a hard time picking up the offense or anything like that."

He earned All-Conference honors as a freshman after catching 23 passes for over 500 yards with six touchdowns. He also returned a punt 60 yards for a score and scored on a reverse.

He caught the eye of then UM receiver coach Curtis Johnson.

"He said I could definitely be a Hurricane as long as I hold my end of the bargain and get my grades," Farquharson said. "My grades are coming well. I graduate in December."

Since the new staff was hired, Farquharson has spoken with offensive coordinator Rich Olson.

"Him and my head coach know each other well," Farquharson said. "Right now it's in the process (for an offer). If I get offered I would commit right on the spot, there's no secret about it. Right now the new coaching staff just got in, so everything started all over."

Just how good is Farquharson, who so far lists offers from Kentucky and Oregon State?

"He's really good," El Camino a.ssistant head coach and offensive coordinator Gene Engle said. "He made All-Conference as a freshman as a kick returner and receiver. He's doing really well."
 04-12-2006, 10:12 PM         #106
Sh0wty 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ya'll cats going to the Spring Game too?
 04-12-2006, 10:13 PM         #107
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I wish I was, man fu*k boston, I cant wait till iget back to the MIA...

Ayo hit up the sig if you got any espn insider about miami you wanna know about.
 12 years ago '04        #108
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
 Sh0wty said:
Ya'll cats going to the Spring Game too?
i would if i didnt live in south carolina. n my license stop gettin suspended. speedin my a.ss.

i got some articles comin.
 04-12-2006, 10:17 PM         #109
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Updated: Feb. 1, 2006
Grading the top 25 classes of 2006
Insider
By Tom Luginbill
Scouts, Inc.

Here are the top 25 classes, complete with letter grades, for 2006:

1. Florida: A
The nation's best receiver, the nation's third best quarterback and 11 ESPN 150 players. Urban Meyer sold his program well and has gotten the prospects he needs for both his spread offense and his 4-3 defense.

2. USC: A
So much for rebuilding. They've filled holes with three talented running backs and answered defensive needs with two of the nation's top safeties and outside linebackers.

3. Texas: A
Texas struck early to keep most of the top talent in their own state -- only two players come from outside of Texas. QB Jevan Snead will compete for the starting job and OLB Sergio Kindle is already on campus and can be impact player as a freshman.

4. Georgia: A
Despite QB Matthew Stafford being largely anonymous throughout the recruiting process, he is one of the top quarterbacks in the country and will compete for the starting job. Georgia added safety Reshad Jones to cap off a stellar class in the defensive secondary. On signing day they also added a top running back in Knowshon Moreno.

5. Notre Dame: A
Notre Dame increased athleticism and team speed across the board as Charlie Weis parlayed surprising on-field success to the recruiting trails. RB James Aldridge reminds us a lot of a young Cadillac Williams.

6. Florida State: A-
Late addition wide receiver Damon McDaniel adds an offensive weapon and linebacker Marcus Ball fills a need on defense. S Anthony Leon, one of the most underrated players in the country, coupled with S Myron Rolle, our No. 1 overall rated player, will make an imposing secondary for years to come.

7. Oklahoma: A-
Along with Adrian Peterson, No. 1 rated RB DeMarco Murray could be part of the best 1-2 punch backfield in the country. He's the most versatile player in this class and has the potential to wow as a freshman. On signing day Oklahoma landed two big in-state prospects in defensive tackle Gerald McCoy and TE Jermaine Gresham.

8. LSU: A-
The Tigers have dominated the state of Louisiana and have added speed to their secondary with No. 1-rated corner Jai Eugene and three safeties rated 7.0 or above. LSU added another top defensive tackle in Charles Deas to go along with No. 1 rated tackle Al Woods.

9. Penn State: A-
Maryland is now getting a zip code in State College -- they've snagged three ESPN 150 recruits from the state. No. 1-rated DE Maurice Evans is the best player nobody knows about, for now.

10. Ohio State: A-
The Buckeyes have started to reload at linebacker with two ESPN 150 players at the position. They've also filled key impact positions at defensive end and running back with in-state players Robert Rose and Chris Wells.

11. Michigan: B+
Michigan addressed defensive secondary needs with the addition of safety Jonas Mouton and S/CB Steve Brown. Justin Boren and Steve Schilling fit the mold of typical Michigan maulers from offensive lines of past.

12. Auburn: B+
Last year's class was loaded on the defensive side, and this year the Tigers are meeting needs at quarterback and wide receiver on offense. The defense hasn't been neglected though as they've filled needs along their front seven.

13. Clemson: B
The Tigers made a big late addition with running back C.J. Spiller. Clemson has addressed needs in the front-seven with bookend ESPN 150 defensive ends Jamie Cumbie and Ricky Sapp. ESPN 150 DB Byron Maxwell could play either corner or safety and is a physical presence.

14. Mississippi: B
Ole Miss has not seen potential impact players like this since Eli and Archie Manning played in Oxford. High school teammates Markeith Summers and Allen Walker coupled with RB Cordera Eason make an explosive trio.

15. Oklahoma State: B
Like Oklahoma, the Cowboys have been able to have a huge presence in the state of Texas. They've also lured in-state ESPN 150 DE Derek Burton to Stillwater.

16. Pittsburgh: B
The Panthers weathered the storm of a disappointing early season and were able to keep key early commits that came with the hype of Dave Wannstedt returning home to coach. DT John Malecki is a potential sleeper.

17. Miami, Fla.: B-
Coaching changes right in the thick of recruiting season didn't help. Though they lost QB Patrick Devlin to Penn State, they landed a huge RB prospect in Kylan Robinson, a transfer from Anchorage, Alaska who burst on to the scene in Tampa.

18. Alabama: B-
The strength of this class starts with the addition of in-state offensive lineman Andre Smith. Should be an impact player the moment he steps on campus. Had QB Greg McElroy played as a junior, he might have had a lot more publicity. He's a solid get after missing out on QBs Tim Tebow and Mitch Mustain. The Tide's defensive back seven has some nice additions, including high-motor LB Charlie Higgenbotham.

19. UCLA: B-
The Bruins have worked their way into competing with USC for California's top recruits, but they still don't have much to show for it with the likes of LB Joshua Tatum and RB Stafon Johnson picking the Trojans over the Bruins.

20. Tennessee: B-
The Vols have a better class than many are giving them credit for. Sleeper QB Nick Stephens out of Texas has real upside. They have three solid tight ends, though Lee Smith may end up being a defensive end at the college level.

21. Louisville: B-
Late additions of S Brandon Heath and DE Deantwan Whitehead provide a big boost on the defensive side of the ball for the Cardinals. Luring Josh Chichester out of Ohio, who's a big receiving target, is a big coup.

22. Texas A&M: B-
Texas has ruled the state everywhere except at running back; the state's three top-rated runners, Michael Goodson, E.J. Shankle and Latreal Cooper, will all head to College Station. Jerrod Johnson and Kenny Brown also add depth at wide receiver.

23. Maryland: B-
The Terps let an opportunity to land an outstanding class slip away by letting some of their in-state talent leave the border. That said, the Terps landed two top in-state kids in CB Pha'Terrell Washington and WR Drew Gloster.

24. Virginia Tech: B-
The Hokies are a perennial top-10 program and their recruiting class isn't about stars. It's about quality from top to bottom. Frank Beamer and his staff do the best job of projecting prospect upside out of any program in the country.

25. North Carolina: B-
The Tar Heels added depth and team speed across the board. There really wasn't a position other than kicker that they missed on. Getting ESPN 150 DT Aleric Mullins on signing day was a nice exclamation point.

Tom Luginbill is the national director of recruiting for Scouts Inc.
 12 years ago '04        #110
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
we got an very solid class IMO this was a class full of attitude and of that old cane swagger and alot of character(so was last years class) and they want to win and they no they need to work hard to be the best. look out for Ryan Hill and Javariss James. and Coker and Company are finna bring in a hell of a class this year to. but fu*k stars and rankings. Let the Gaytors win the recruiting championships while we play in the NC game.
 04-12-2006, 10:22 PM         #111
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Anyone heard any news on Edge's little brother, i know he was recurting and accepted.
 12 years ago '04        #112
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
 RakimAllahNY said:
Anyone heard any news on Edge's little brother, i know he was recurting and accepted.
yeah he in. if the rivals site hurry up ill post the article on him. he is a beast has great moves says he has improved his speed. oh i almost forgot about my man sam shields he's the most underated WR this year he's is a beast.
 04-12-2006, 10:25 PM         #113
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 C.R.I.P. said:
yeah he in. if the rivals site hurry up ill post the article on him. he is a beast has great moves says he has improved his speed. oh i almost forgot about my man sam shields he's the most underated WR this year he's is a beast.

Word, I aint ever worried about our class, never has to be rated high. We get speed at every postions and tha U swagga. Those lists are always the same UF always up there never make noise.
 04-12-2006, 10:29 PM         #114
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Player Commitments - Miami
NAME POS HT WT HOMETOWN GRADE
Sam Shields WR 6'1" 179 Sarasota, FL 83.5
Kylan Robinson RB 6'1" 217 Tampa Bay, FL 82.7
Chaz Washington DT 6'3" 295 Destrehan, LA 80.2
Graig Cooper RB 5'11" 188 Memphis, TN 79.4
Ian Symonette OT 6'9" 340 Houston, TX 79.1
Matt Bosher K 6'1" 180 Jupiter, FL 78.9
Ryan Hill CB 6'0" 178 Tallahassee, FL 78.4
Josh Holmes DT 6'2" 255 San Diego, CA 78.0
Jason Fox TE 6'7" 250 Crowley, TX 77.4
Steven Wesley DE 6'3" 225 Bartow, FL 77.1
Tervaris Johnson S 6'2" 203 Opa Locka, FL 77.1
Dedrick Epps TE 6'4" 234 Richmond, VA 75.9
Colin McCarthy ILB 6'1" 215 Clearwater, FL 75.4
Chavez Grant CB 5'10" 169 Miami, FL 70.7
Richard Gordon TE 6'4" 235 Miami, FL 70.0
Daniel Stegall QB 6'2" 180 Greenwood, AR 67.0
Joel Figueroa OG 6'5" 330 North Miami, FL 40.0
Chris Lewis DE 6'3" 240 Fresno, CA 40.0
· Complete Conference Signing Lists

If you pick a player I can get you insider scouts inc on each player.

Last edited by Hurricane Ra; 04-12-2006 at 10:30 PM..
 12 years ago '04        #115
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
we got that RB LeSean McCoy from PA he is a monster he was the #1 rated RB last year til he got hurt he still in Prep School then he gon sign and come here next year. and they forgot about George Robinson Wr from Dade County some say he was the best in dade but he didnt get alot of attention because he plays on a majority run team. the only problem with this class is that we didnt sign enough Wr.

Last edited by C.R.I.P.; 04-12-2006 at 10:32 PM..
 12 years ago '04        #116
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
April 12,2006 Practice Report

The Hurricanes went through a two-hour practice in full pads Wednesday afternoon at the Greentree Practice Fields.

"We had a pretty long practice today. It was a good workout for us," said head coach Larry Coker." The running backs did a nice job today. The pass protection running the ball was really good, and I'm really encouraged by that, and we continue to get better. Charlie Jones, Derron Thomas and Andrew Jones all did a nice job."

Coker talked about his new coaching staff, which includes six new a.ssistants.

"The players have been really receptive to the new coaches, and there> '> s some special things they're being taught. Once they know they're going to get better, they start to gravitate to it."

The Hurricanes will scrimmage again at 3:20 p.m. Friday, their last time on the Greentree Practice Fields until August. Many Hurricanes alumni are expected to be in attendance.

The annual spring game and the BankUnited CanesFest will be held at 10:00 a.m. Saturday at the Orange Bowl. The spring game is free to the public, and so is parking.
 12 years ago '04        #117
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
Javarris James Interview

Immokalee High School RB and Cane signee Javarris James isn't exactly having trouble finding a place to help him keep in shape this spring.

His cousin, NFL star Edgerrin James, keeps a home in Immokalee with a generously sized weight room.

"He built it, and me and a lot of the guys on the team work out there," Javarris said. "It's for him when he comes in the off-season, but he lets me use it, my cousin and other guys going to college next year. He's got everything in there you can name. That's why we prefer working there than in high school, because the high school weight room is small and doesn't have as much equipment as Edgerrin's."

Javarris says his older cousin has also helped him with words of advice.

"He said that the most important thing is getting in shape," Javarris said.

To that end, James is running track for Immokalee.

He's participating in the 400-relay and shot put. He also competed in the 200 earlier in the season.

One of his meets involved another UM signee, Sam Shields.

"We were just chilling a little bit," Javarris said.

He's stayed in touch with some other future teammates thanks to the Internet.

"I talked to Ryan (Hill) a couple of times on myspace, told him I hope he's working out and getting ready, and he told me same thing," James said. "We were just saying we have to bring the U back. I was also talking to Chaz Washington and Steve Wesley on there. You send a comment on their page and they write you back."

James says when he joins his future teammates at Miami he's going to work hard to try and play right away, but that if he redshirts "I'm not going to complain about no playing time, because this is not high school. All the running backs at UM can run the ball."

James remains on track to graduate with qualifying marks.

"I just have to go to class, that's it," he said.

He says he will be attending Miami's Spring Game this Saturday.

* James said he hopes to wear the same number Edgerrin wore at UM, No. 5. But Ryan Hill also told CaneSport he's requested that number.

"I'm supposed to get No. 5, but I don't know," James said. "I asked coaches for it. But it doesn't really matter. I want it, he wants it, whoever gets it, gets it."
 12 years ago '04        #118
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
Greg Olsen Interview

year ago, tight end Greg Olsen was taken out of some games by opponents' blitzes, forcing him to remain in as a blocker.

Will that change under new offensive coordinator Rich Olson's scheme?

Olsen thinks so.

"I'm excited," Olsen said. "You can ask any tight end -- they'd rather be a receiver. It's something they're making an effort on. The offensive line's pass blocking is coming along real well. When the season starts we'll be in good shape.

"The offense is coming along pretty well. We've put in most of the offense as of now. Now it's just a matter of executing and continuing to get better."

Olsen was asked whether he sees this offense ahead of where it was at this time a year ago.

"We've always really struggled (in the spring), especially on the weekend in scrimmages," Olsen said. "I don't even know if since I've been here we've ever really scored. And in the scrimmages we've had, we've had six touchdowns. I don't remember a year before where we've had half that. Our defense is probably one of the best in the country. Matching up against them, we'll have more success against other teams."

As for how his own progress is coming this year, Olsen said, "I think I've gotten better, especially in blocking for the running game. I think I've gotten a lot better than I was last year. In the passing game I've just worked on some little things to free myself up. Playing against this defense and these linebackers makes you better every day."

A new face at tight end this spring is Richard Gordon.

How does Olsen see Gordon's progress?

"He's doing well," Olsen said. "He's a young guy. He's got all the physical ability. He just has to come along and learn what's going on. Once he does that, he'll be fine. He'll be a good player."

* Olsen also gave his take on new tight ends coach Joe Pannunzio.

"He's good," Olsen said. "He's a real good coach, brings a lot to the table, a lot of experience. He's been a head coach, he's coached at a lot of big-time schools. He's really helped us out a lot."
 04-12-2006, 10:42 PM         #119
Hurricane Ra 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Why cant I give you rep points, its been like 8 months and i propped like 200 people since
 12 years ago '04        #120
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts OP
space
space
Jon Beason Q&A

Q: How is the linebacker group coming along?

Beason: I think coach (Randy) Shannon right now, what he's trying to do is double-training. He's switching guys around, making sure everyone knows everything. That's often how you become a better player, is just knowing the whole scheme.

Q: You're the only linebacker who has lined up as a first-teamer every day this spring.

Beason: To say I'm a definite starter, I think I will be. But I don't take that for granted. Every day I have to come out and prove it, because these young guys are very talented and they're intelligent, too. I've just got the reps on them.

Q: You guys have really gotten moved around. On Saturday Romeo Davis was a first-teamer. Two days later he's a third-teamer at the other outside linebacker spot. It seems linebacker has really gotten a lot of shaking up in the depth chart this spring. Why do you think that is?

Beason: Because coach Shannon's standard is high for us. If you're not having a good day and he's upset about it, is getting tired of you making the same mistake over, he'll flip it around just to mess with your head. It doesn't mean you're not going to start. That's just how he does it, and it makes you come out every day and compete.

Q: Middle linebacker has been a problem area since Jonathan Vilma left. What's your take on that spot entering this year?

Beason: With coach Shannon being our (linebackers) coach, we're getting it directly from the source as far as him being the coordinator. That's helping us a lot. Glenn Cook, he could have played two years ago at MIKE as well as anybody just based on (not making) mistakes, knowing his a.ssignment. And Darryl Sharpton is very intelligent also. Darryl is lightning fast, very strong. As soon as he learns it, he's going to be playing a lot.

Q: Along with Sharpton, young guys like Willie Williams and Spencer Adkins could have big roles.

Beason: I look at last season for myself and say there's 20, 25 percent of plays I should have made. I didn't make them just because of the fact that I didn't know it pre-snap or I wasn't 100 percent sure, so I was a little bit timid to go. And those guys are kind of like in that bubble of getting through that now. It takes some game experience to get that out. Practice, you can't simulate it. It's going to be a process, and I think they'll still be able to contribute like I did last year.

Q: How much better do you feel you are now compared to the end of last season?

Beason: Wow. I don't know what happened, but I just remember everything (Shannon) says now. Sometimes you go into a meeting and it's `Okay, we're going to put in six blitzes, now go out there and run them.' And everyone in there is thinking about so many different things that they forget the old stuff. But in my case, it's been reinforced so many times that now it clicks. I don't have to write anything down. I just know it.

Q: Have you put on any weight since last season?

Beason: I weigh 236. I was 225 during last season. And I was up to 240. I lost weight doing the morning runs (before the spring).
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
46 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
82 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
126 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
57 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
347 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
When You Catch The Homie Wearin Fake Red 11s
16 comments
1 day ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy