NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
28 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
59 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12 years ago '04        #221
JHawk972 
space
space
$1,340 | Props total: 5 5
IRVING, Texas - The Keyshawn Johnson era has apparently ended.

Is a new era about to begin?

The Cowboys made just one move Tuesday, releasing wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson, avoiding his $1 million roster bonus due if he was still on the roster Wednesday. Johnson was only expected to count $3.5 million against the cap in 2006.

However, it was likely Johnson would have asked for a much larger contract over the next couple of years, especially after turning in two solid seasons during his two-year stay in Dallas.

So that begs the question: Does this move open the door to sign Terrell Owens, the fiery receiver who was officially cut by the Eagles on Tuesday?

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones only addressed the release of his own player Tuesday, saying in an issued statement Tuesday, "Keyshawn is one of a handful of the top competitors that have ever played for the Dallas Cowboys. The more he was a part of our team, the more we appreciated him as a player."

Johnson led the Cowboys last year with 71 catches, and was second in receiving yards with 839 and six touchdowns. A clutch third-down receiver, his 25 catches on third down left him sixth in the NFC and eighth in the NFL in the all-important category.

With Johnson now out of the picture, the Cowboys certainly must address the wide receiver position.

An obvious solution, although somewhat chancy considering his history, would be signing Terrell Owens, who was finally released by the Philadelphia Eagles Tuesday afternoon. Owens quickly becomes the most talented wide receiver on the open market, and possibly the best overall free agent available.

But with Owens' talent also comes the baggage that ultimately led to his mid-season suspension by the Eagles. Owens publicly ripped quarterback Donovan McNabb and was reportedly involved in a locker-room f!ght with former Eagles defensive end and current team consultant Hugh Douglas.

The Eagles desperately tried to trade Owens here in the last two months but to no avail. Teams knew all along of the Eagles would eventually release the problematic wide receiver.

So now everyone finds out with Owens available and the Cowboys in need of a wide receiver if there is a match waiting to take place.

Whatever happens, the Cowboys have some big shoes to fill caused by releasing Johnson. This past season, Johnson moved into the NFL's all-time top 20 in career receptions, currently standing 20th with 744 catches, just behind 18th-place Michael Irvin and Charlie Joiner, tied at 750. With 71 receptions last season, Johnson has recorded 60-or-more catches in nine-of-10 NFL seasons and has caught a pass in all 151 games in his career, the second longest active streak in the NFL (Marvin Harrison -- 155).

Johnson came to the Cowboys in 2004 through a trade with Tampa Bay involving Joey Galloway. Johnson was deactivated for the last six games of the 2003 season with the Bucs for conduct detrimental to the team. That occurred only one season after Johnson was an integral part of Tampa Bay's run to Super Bowl x*xVII.

Johnson quickly reunited with Cowboys head coach Bill Parcells, who coached him for three seasons with the New York Jets, the Cowboys paying him a $4 million signing bonus on a four-year deal.

In the last two years, Parcells has spoken very highly of Johnson, a player that not only came up with clutch receptions, but often did some of the dirty work, blocking downfield and sometimes even in the pocket against the blitz.

But with Johnson turning 34 in July, the Cowboys obviously feel the need to get younger at the position, especially with Terry Glenn set to turn 32. Plus, while Johnson did play 31 games in the last two seasons, he has needed clean-up knee surgery after both seasons.

By releasing Johnson, the Cowboys will only save about $2.5 million salary cap room. Again, it was unlikely Johnson would have played for his current contract, which called for an additional $1.5 million in base salary.

And that's far below market value for second- and third-receivers. Johnson certainly didn't miss the 49ers giving former Cowboys receiver Antonio Bryant signing a $15 million deal on Monday that included a $5 million signing bonus, or the Redskins shelling out $11.5 million of guaranteed money to former Steelers receiver Antwaan Randle El.

The Cowboys might even have some reworking to do with Glenn's contract. After leading the Cowboys with 1,136 yards, the club's first 1,000-yard receiving season since 1999 (Rocket Ismail), Glenn is only scheduled to count $2.52 million against the cap this season, including a $2 million base salary.
 03-15-2006, 11:50 AM         #222
sleepy  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yep.. i have a feelin t.o. is goin to the cowboys

be funny if he dont.. the cowboys wont have t.o. or keyshawn
 12 years ago '04        #223
JHawk972 
space
space
 Maroon_Tiger said:
why are you still on bx?!??! i thought our bet solidified your e-termination

btw, you're news is late
wtf?? what bet. ANNNNNDDD was it posted???
 12 years ago '04        #224
JHawk972 
space
space
 Maroon_Tiger said:
yeah we had a bet w/ the bills this year... if they won more than 8-9 games, i would never come on here again... and if they didnt, you were to be gone

dont act like you dont remember
na i really dont but i havent been on here in months i was training to be a cage f!ghter
 03-15-2006, 12:07 PM         #225
jody slim  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i think they'll take him
 12 years ago '04        #226
pntblank 
space
space
$1,402 | Props total: 0 0
haha...i knew that would be coming...
 12 years ago '04        #227
Gtownkid04 
space
space
$6,868 | Props total: 68 68
 BangOut said:
Giants Signed Will Demps former safety from the Baltimore Ravens along with Quentin Harris, RW McQuarters, Sam Madison, and Jason Bell god damn..not bad to bolster up our secondary

Gibril and Demps is a nasty young safety line up
So did the Eagles get him or the Giants? conflicting reports. who has a source?
 03-15-2006, 12:40 PM         #228
30 1 3rd D  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Gtownkid04 said:
So did the Eagles get him or the Giants? conflicting reports. who has a source?
ayo sorry bout the conflicting report.. i mistyped i was still tired this morning. hah.

The Giants continued rebuilding their secondary last night when they agreed to terms on a deal with Baltimore Ravens free safety Will Demps. The 26-year-old is expected to sign a five-year contract today, according to his agent, Tony Agnone. The deal includes a $3 million signing bonus and is believed to be worth $12 million.

He canceled his visits to Miami and Minnesota after agreeing to the Giants' deal.
 03-15-2006, 12:41 PM         #229
30 1 3rd D  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jaguars sign OL Mike Williams

Lawyer Milloy rumored to be going to ATL

Kimo VonOelhoffen is a NY Jet

Ryan Clark is a Steeler
 03-15-2006, 12:45 PM         #230
30 1 3rd D  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Eagles sign QB Jeff Garcia per ESPN
 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM         #231
SiZ108  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jets signed Von Oelhoffen (Pitt) ...

and LB Matt Catham from (NE)....

On the way back to the top bi*ches !
 03-15-2006, 12:58 PM         #232
ShellSpitta1  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
only way jets gettin to the top is if they get a good qb
they should draft Vince Young .. hes a quicker donovan mcnabb
 12 years ago '05        #233
BoSox84 
space
space
$21,183 | Props total: 26 26
Good signing, but they need a lot more help
 12 years ago '04        #234
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,926 | Props total: 4287 4287
 30 1 3rd D said:
Eagles sign QB Jeff Garcia per ESPN
they must be puttin together the Anti-Owens Organization up there in philly
 03-15-2006, 01:47 PM         #235
30 1 3rd D  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 C.R.I.P. said:
hah.. philly was the only team interested in garcia
 12 years ago '04        #236
Gtownkid04 
space
space
 C.R.I.P. said:
lol, got 2 QBS that hate him with a passion
 03-15-2006, 02:09 PM         #237
williams31  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
they need to trade abraham for schaubb...thats what they really need to do
 03-15-2006, 02:24 PM         #238
cpalmer1  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 williams31 said:
they need to trade abraham for schaubb...thats what they really need to do
But how good is Schaubb? Can he challenge to be the starting QB.
I hope the Jets can get the 15th pick and get a RB.
Good pick ups.
 12 years ago '04        #239
BangOut 
space
space
$1,779 | Props total: 0 0
g-town hit up espn they got all the new sh*t ya kno
 12 years ago '04        #240
Gtownkid04 
space
space
Eagles re-sign Darnerian McCants
Home      

most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
89 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
41 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
216 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Dragon Ball FighterZ Jump Festa 2018 Trailer
39 comments
20 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
88 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
94 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy