Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
182 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
54 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Jay Z's Tidal Is Running Out Of Cash & On Verge Of Bankruptcy, Lost $36..
77 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Lonzo Ball still disrespecting Nas
64 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 12 years ago '04        #1
6734 pageviews
91 comments

teegray1124 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,379 | Props total: 256 256
Nov 10 - PlayStation 3s won't play borrowed, used, or rented games

The official story: "We have made no official statement regarding coding for PS3 games."--Sony spokesperson.

What we heard: Given the billions of dollars it sinks into its movie, music, and games divisions, it's little wonder Sony is big on digital rights management. The company has implemented anti-copying measures for years and has admitted it has been installing cloaking rootkits to hide DRM programs. (It has since issued a patch to remove the rootkit.)

Those familiar with Sony's CD DRM practices were unsurprised when Joystiq reported that the company has patented DRM software that could prevent PlayStation 3s from playing used or borrowed games. The site cites US Patent #6,816,972, which is for "a device and method for protection of legitimate software against used software and counterfeit software in recording media." Specifically, the patented technology would verify that when software was inserted into a "machine" (read: console), it was registered to that machine. If it couldn't, the technology would prompt the machine to shut down, preventing the software from being accessed.

Such measures would be fine and dandy, were they targeted at pirated software. But the patented tech--which bears the name of Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi--is specifically designed to prevent used software from being sold. "Since only titles for which legitimate software has actually been purchased and which have been initially registered in the machine table can be used, resale (so-called used software purchase) after purchase by an end-user becomes practically impossible," it reads. Such measures would also prevent lent or rented software from being played.

But would Sony incorporate technology from Patent #6,816,972 into the PS3? On one hand, doing so would guarantee that each gamer would buy a new copy of each PS3 game, theoretically meaning bigger sales to help defray the steep cost of next-gen development. It would also remove the PS3 from the used-game trade, a market from which Sony gets no revenue.

However, there would be some major drawbacks to implementing Patent # 6,816,972 technology into the PS3. It would mean forfeiting the rental market to Microsoft's Xbox 360. Though there are signs that the game-rental stories are in decline--Blockbuster Video is reportedly shopping around its GameRush subsidiary--Netflix-esque services like GameFly are gaining in popularity. Then there's the fact that many people can't afford to buy a whole lot of games. When presented with a choice between a console that does play rented games and one that doesn't, which way do you think they'll go? There's also the risk of sparking a blacklash like the one currently raging over the BMG DRM rootkit.

source:
[pic - click to view]

http://www.gamespot.com/n .. ic_id=23921409

91 comments for "Nov 10 - PlayStation 3s won't play borrowed, used, or rented games"

12 years ago '04        #2
---Max-Payne--- 
space
space
$5,472 | Props total: 23 23
It says rumour dude

Last edited by ---Max-Payne---; 11-10-2005 at 02:48 PM..
 11-10-2005, 02:51 PM         #3
DarkSidesHero 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
But the patented tech--which bears the name of Sony Computer Entertainment president Ken Kutaragi--is specifically designed to prevent used software from being sold.
hmmm.....if this is so then the rumor might just be true.....eh oh well.....good goin Ken!
 11-10-2005, 02:53 PM         #4
LanceUppercut 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Rumor

1) It wouldnt be good for Gamestops and other Video Stores that likely make a goood little bit off of reselling used games, and Rental Stores.

2) It could be good or bad for developers less sharing more buying, or less buying due to the fact they have little resources when sampling games and will essentially have to go on hearsay alone.

I doubt this will be implemented, IMO it's to big of a "What If"

And patents mean nothing, other than you have the right to whatever is patent is for, not that it is guaranteed to be used.

Last edited by LanceUppercut; 11-10-2005 at 02:55 PM..
 12 years ago '04        #5
Ill Fred 
space
space
$2,724 | Props total: 408 408
well sony already got a lawsuit with that rootkit because it literally messes up the computers.
 11-10-2005, 02:56 PM         #6
LanceUppercut 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Ill Fred said:
well sony already got a lawsuit with that rootkit because it literally messes up the computers.
And...?
 11-10-2005, 02:57 PM         #7
Spanish 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
They puttin it out there to measure the consumers backlash.if the consumers dont seem to care then everyone will have to buy new games for the PS3.That FUKIN SUCKs.Most of my games I buy used cuz there cheaper.now I wont be able to take the game to my boys crib to wip his a.ss in some Tekken9 or some sh*t.
 12 years ago '04        #8
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
that's easy to get around though reagrdless if it's implemented...the hackrs will create a disc that you put into your ps3 first and it will tell that program that game is a new one so you could play whatever you want whenever you want...they CAN'T STOP THE HACKING they can only hope to contain it...
 11-10-2005, 03:21 PM         #9
UpStart 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
so take the system

^^^aimed towards Spanish

Last edited by UpStart; 11-10-2005 at 03:22 PM..
 11-10-2005, 03:25 PM         #10
Tha_Watcher_8-| 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
if they do then theres no point on gettin a ps3. Cant even borrow a friend's game............ I kno blockbuster gonna b pissed
 12 years ago '05        #11
g0tt1 211 heat pts211
space
space
$8,986 | Props total: 1260 1260
some nerd will find a way to do it
 11-10-2005, 03:30 PM         #12
rara2003 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i know its a rumor but that would suck for the ps3 users
 11-10-2005, 03:31 PM         #13
lloydbank$69 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Oh man if sony does that they can forget selling any playstations. I love PS man they better not
 12 years ago '04        #14
MainEv3nt|M 21 heat pts21
space
space
$21,294 | Props total: 29 29
how the fu*k a ps3 gon know u borrowed a game lmao
 12 years ago '04        #15
famoussasjohn 17 heat pts17
space
space
$9,705 | Props total: 193 193
i dont get it , game rental places use RETAIL games so wtf?
 12 years ago '04        #16
boimannie2004 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,713 | Props total: 484 484
 famoussasjohn said:
i dont get it , game rental places use RETAIL games so wtf?
They talking bout RETAIL games. Basically the first system that the game is played on is the ONLY system that will be allowed to play it. I don't know how they would impliment that tho because wouldnt the ps3 have to burn/write some sort of system key or something to the disc to "lock out" any other ps3 system
 12 years ago '04        #17
money36 2 heat pts
space
space
$3,691 | Props total: 128 128
Thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard for a console. There is no way that would ever happen.
 12 years ago '05        #18
Pegcityplaya 
space
space
$1,747 | Props total: 0 0
Xbox 360
 11-10-2005, 04:14 PM         #19
LanceUppercut 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 money36 said:
Thats the dumbest thing i have ever heard for a console. There is no way that would ever happen.
Its basically a product key that PC games use, just without the key
 11-10-2005, 04:15 PM         #20
LanceUppercut 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lke I said a patent is the furthest thing from a guarantee or confirmation.

So im not worried at all until something is official.

Last edited by LanceUppercut; 11-10-2005 at 04:16 PM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Pineapple Pwussy 🍍 😻
40 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
215 comments
23 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Guy programs old Chuck E Cheese Animatronics to perform Pop Lock and Drop It
38 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
144 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fake Ashanti Look WAAY BADDER Than The Real Ashanti
36 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
191 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
85 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
male rape survivor talks about how he got raped twice
54 comments
20 hours ago