Kanye West - Late Registration (2005)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Today's world summed up in one picture
21 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Well Damn DRAKE - PLEASE FORGIVE ME Video out now non apple link come i..
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Waka Flocka Flame Responds To Gucci Mane's Hot 97 Interview
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside For $100,000 would you do it?? Hmmm..
109 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

what yall think
5 BX - This is Hot! You gotta cop it! 1,500 48.89%
4 BX - Very Good... Highly recommended 860 28.03%
3 BX - It's Alright. Not great, but not crap as well 461 15.03%
2 BX - I suggest you stay away from this one 85 2.77%
1 BX - Trash! Don't waste your time on this! 162 5.28%
Voters: 3068. Sorry, you cannot vote on this poll (Boxden members only)

[Click here to become a member]

Props Slaps
 08-19-2005, 06:29 PM         #401
osama 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
not feelin it... kanye needs to stick to the beats.
 08-19-2005, 06:44 PM         #402
kaream3 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im really feeln this album....its great beats, greatt verses of Ye(improved a lot)...nice features....some straight crack songs like Bring Me Down/Addiction/Roses...gave it a 4...would have liked to see anoither exlcusive Jay verse, that would have made it a 5
 11 years ago '05        #403
Left Hook 25 heat pts25
space
space
$12,900 | Props total: 443 443
definately more laid back, but i don't hear the same Kanye I did a few years back. i loved College Dropout.

..Never Let Me Down, Family Business, Through The Wire, Jesus Walks, All Falls Down..damn good tracks.

I might grow on Late Registration though..for now I'm not too fond of it :|

Overall: 7.5/10

Average against Kanye's debut, but for 2005 it's a nice album.
 08-19-2005, 06:56 PM         #404
Tha_Beast 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Surprisingly Brilliant....album of the year? Either This or Game - Documentary. Flip a coin....
 08-19-2005, 07:05 PM         #405
footloose 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Alright, I wrote this review for another site earlier, so I'll stick it up here.

The difficult second album. The sophomore album jinx. Call it what you will, but it has consigned an innumerable amount of artists to the musical scrapheap. What Kanye West faced with his second album was tougher than most. His debut album, The College Dropout, was one of the most critically acclaimed albums of last year, and the best hip hop debut for years. A huge amount of award nominations followed, but generally werenít converted into award wins. Feeling neglected, West began to lash out, most famously at the Grammyís, where he lost out to Gretchen Wilson in the Best Debut album category. A shamelessly c*cky, and some would say downright arrogant man, didnít seem to be doing himself any favours in the media. He was, for all intents and purposes, the Josť Mourinho of hip hop. With all his talk, he was going to have to back it up, and he had done A LOT of talking.

But back it up he did, and his new album, Late Registration, has justified a lot of his self aggrandising. Itís a more experimental album than his debut, which sees him collaborating with the lead singer of Maroon 5, and composer Jon Brion, who scored Magnolia and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind. It doesnít look like a template for a successful second album in the hip hop genre, but it works. By god, it works.

The sound is mellower, more soulful and more mature this time around, with only Crack Music and Diamonds from Sierra Leone bringing a harder edge to the album, but the result is a more cohesive sound for the album. Samples from Curtis Mayfield and Shirley Bassey lend certain tracks a familiarity to them even if you are hearing them for the first time. The standout track for me, Touch the Sky, samples Curtis Mayfieldís ďMove on UpĒ, with the trumpets driving this fantastic song. Lyrically, West displays a diversity that wasnít evident in his debut. He talks about subjects ranging from his grandmotherís illness to black Americaís drug problems, money hungry females to the conflict diamond trade, and a very personal ode to his mother, which is accompanied by a xylophone which sounds reminiscent of an old fashioned music box.

Truth be told, this album is more in the soul genre than the hip hop genre, a few tracks excepted. Regardless, it is my favourite album this year since Commonís ďBeĒ, which funnily enough, was also produced by one Kanye West. Jon Brionís influence is plainly evident, with dreamlike strings and delicate piano featuring in a number of songs, but they are all given Westís unique treatment. Whether or not it is better than the College Dropout isnít evident yet, but itís a damn good accompaniment. All in all, one of the most unique and refreshing albums of the year, and most definitely worth a listen.

Anyone that doesn't agree. fu*k y'all! :finger:
 08-19-2005, 07:16 PM         #406
spittwell 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
sh*t is fire....wish kanye was on the track with common though

missin that bittersweet track...too bad

5 mics
 11 years ago '05        #407
reeps. 
space
space
$2,623 | Props total: 0 0
My only problem with some of the production, well 2 songs really - was that the sample (or bassline melody) had been used in previous tracks, which make it sound less fresh.

For example, 'Drive Slow' uses the same melody as Masta Ace's 'Revelations' track on his Long Hot Summer album. Also the saxaphone sample obviously from 2pac's 'Shorty Wanna Be Thug'.

And then the song 'Bring Me Down' has the same sample melody used in Beanie Sigels 'Lord Have Mercy', except its not used in the exact same way.

But still, musically this album is amazing. I'm not gonna compare it to Collage Dropout, but as far as production goes this is the album of 05 so far. Common's Be is obviously better lryically, so it's a clear winner in that category for me.

- Very, very good. Highly Reccomended for sure.
 08-19-2005, 07:41 PM         #408
big_r 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I gotta say Kanye came a bit harder on a majority of "Be".

"Chi City" and "Be" trump every beat on this album. Maybe I'm just bias cause "Be" is the album of 05 so far.

Kanye comes through with a solid effort, but the amazing LP that everyone is looking for will most likely come from NC's Little Brother. "The Minstrel Show" has Source Editor-In-Chiefs quitting their jobs!

As far as this record, its good. Nothing to k!ll someone over. Got a few dope joints, but its not as consistent as "College Dropout". I know people are saying its good because its experimental, but sh*t shouldn't be good just because it is "refreshing".
Best album of the summer I think, but this summer has been especially whick whick whack!
 11 years ago '05        #409
Rockobox 76 heat pts76
space
space
$12,376 | Props total: 1 1
5BX. So far, best album of the year...
 11 years ago '04        #410
gunit4life 
space
space
$2,110 | Props total: 0 0
I gave it a 4, but i think its nearly a 5, lets say a 4 1/2, there were a couple tracks that werent upto par, but other than that this sh*t is classic masterpiece.
01.Intro (gotta love it, its bernie mac again)
02.Heard Em Say ft Maroon 5 dude (damn catchy as, whos feelin this already?? MEME)
03.Touch The Sky (classic ROC sh*t, man sounds like Jay should of been over this sh*t!)
04.Gold Digger (damn Jamie k!lled this sh*t, nice single to drop too)
05.Skit #1 (well no comment, but was on his first lp so so)
06.Drive Slow (on dat 2pac sh*t, damn Paul Wall k!lls it!)
07.My Way Home (this track is average, its good but not the best)
08.Crack Music (glad Game didnt rap on this, beat is fiyaaa, Kanye k!lls it!)
09.Roses (not feelin this one)
10.Bring Me Down ft Brandy (again these lyrics was from Rapcity in the booth like start 2004)
11.Addiction (Kanye tears the flow on this one, and the hook is FiiYA)
12.Skit 2
13.Diamonds(remix) ft Jayz (well track is lil old, but sh*t is still fiyaaa HOV k!lls it)
14.We Major (well the artist on here speaks for itself, how kanye do it?)
15.Skit 3
16.Hey Mama (nice slow track, feelin it)
17.Celebration (average track nothin to speak on this one)
18.Skit 4
19.Gone ft Consequence, Cam (well the hook is fiiya, and all artists k!ll this track)
20.Diamonds (well this was the orginal, again nice a.ss track)
21.Late (hidden track) (nice hook again, damn he did alot of sampling on this one)
 08-19-2005, 07:56 PM         #411
trifethenolife 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
ill give this 4 out of 5. its not as good as college dropout and the beats arent as good as common's be but i like the cinematic feel/old school hip hop/bluesy sound he got going on. best sh*t on there is drive slow, my way home, addiction and we major.
 08-19-2005, 08:24 PM         #412
mixthein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mdthejericho said:
Line of the year:

I think I died in the accident cuz this must be heaven

wow

You're a dumbass.
 11 years ago '04        #413
bibbyboi 24 heat pts24
space
space
$10,502 | Props total: 1051 1051
i aint really like it...id prolly give it a 2 or 3....nowhere near where college dropout was....i dunno maybe i gotta give it a couple more listens...
 11 years ago '04        #414
Jamaro85 
space
space
$10,610 | Props total: 1 1
 MortalDanger said:
also if u like this alot....i have a huge suggestion for u to make ur music listenin better

u know longer like rap

go downlaod Gospel albums and ur music experience will be sooo much better for u
^^^You are a fu*kin' dumbass...go listen to Jeezy c*ckboy...
 08-19-2005, 09:19 PM         #415
bone1999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'm a Kanye fan, but this is no College Dropout.

This is a 3.5 for me right now, might work itself into a 4/4.5 but never will it be a classic (neither did College Dropout). The vibe of the CD was good, the topics were refreshing, the lyrics, flow, and delivery were average. Theres just too much missing and not enough consistency between the tracks for this to be a great CD. Many tracks have already become immediate skips to me, and I find myself tuning out the lyrics to many of my favorite songs on the CD (like on Break Me Down, the reusal of his verse from "Wack n*ggas"... sh*t didn't even fit in the song).

I'm betting the majority of the people that gave this CD a five did so before they even listened to the CD, or did so out of the blindness from their nut-hugging.
 08-19-2005, 09:21 PM         #416
Doren2k 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
After listening to this cd for the whole day after gettin out of school I got to say this cd is a 4.5. At first I didn't like it but now I think this is probally not better then College Dropout but could be equal to it. THe hot songs off of LR are really good this could be cd of the year I didn't listen to BE yet so I can't judge that cd. But The Documentary comes in Second. And why does everyone hate We Major? I think that song is really good. And that Song with Brandy in it is good to.
 11 years ago '04        #417
Jamaro85 
space
space
 beansy said:
Yea yea, so I finally finished my first go though. I really can't give a number grade to this one cuz I need to speak on this.

For one, I think this album has the hottest production a hip-hop album could ever have, but at the same time I think that's one of the drawbacks. There's TOO MUCH going on in all the tracks, and it takes away from what Kanye is trying to say. I guess he chose to focus on his positives (admit it, his ryhmes are not what got him in the game today). With a lot of listens it'll probably come through, but I dunno if hip hop heads will give it that many spins to give it a chance.

As a whole, this is probably the most experimental mainstream hip hop joint since The Love Below, and because of that I can see it getting a lot of hate. Not saying Kanye went R&B on a n*gga, but almost all the songs break the traditional hip hop/rap theme, and almost give the album a movie feel. Not really a joint you can bump in the ride in the hood, but more of something you sit down and kick back to, or you cruise the freeway with.

Compared to his first joint, I think Late Registration lacks the diversity College Dropout had. Dropout had hood tracks, had introspective tracks, had crusin tracks, had club joints. I don't really hear all that on this one, but I think this is more cohesive as a result. A real ALBUM and not a CD full of singles.

All that said, it ain't perfect. Skits were more balanced this time, but way unnecessary. Ditch the skits next time Kanye. IMO he coulda kept Hey Mama in the vault. Even redoing the beat didn't make me like it. And Heard 'Em Say is a lil suspect, too soft to kick off a CD with.

After writing all that I guess I can give it a number grade after all. 4/5, but I'm feelin more like 4.5/5 but I don't wanna round up. If any album needed an instrumental LP release, it's this one.
^^^Real talk, someone who actually gives reasoning behind their opinion...
 11 years ago '04        #418
Jamaro85 
space
space
 MortalDanger said:
online community is unbelieveable if u played this album to anyone on the street theyd laugh and say what is this some bullsh*t a joke....

i cant believe all these 4 and 5 mics lol

fu*k this bull sh*t
^^^That's why you are a dumbass...if someone played this to a cat on the street? This sh*t is real music...but I see you'd rather listen to something like Jimmy Jones or Young Jeezy...

You keep listening to that street sh*t that doesn't inspire any creativity or innovation...you really don't know music at all...stick to running the fu*k Nas coalition...
 11 years ago '04        #419
Jamaro85 
space
space
 famoussasjohn said:
this cd is pure trash. wut exactly is special about it? its pure garbage kanyes writers didnt do a good job this time so fu*k this cd and fu*k all the kanye c*ck lovers
^^^Lol...all you cats who make these stupid comments without any logical reasoning are apart of the fu*k Nas coalition...I see that ignorant recognize ignorant... :thumbsdow
 11 years ago '04        #420
Jamaro85 
space
space
 yungdreacb said:
this sh*t is fu*king sick, sh*ttin on college dropout, lyrically and musically. Crack Music, man i didn't know something with Game on it could sound so good. Those drums is sick. 5 M-F'ING MICS!!!
^^^That's how I'm feeling myself...to me this is a lot better than the College Dropout as well...

Kanye isn't the best lyricist, but he raps well enough to hold the album down...he's actually speaking about real sh*t too, unlike a lot of the bullsh*t that kids listen to nowadays...

This album was on some mature sh*t...real musical...if you bump this sh*t with a good system and really get to listen to the instrumentation then I think that you will be able to better appreciate this musically...

This is off the hook...I can't call it classic yet in my book, but it's damn good...
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Faith Evan breaking the internet
104 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside bi-ch tries to play cute with the judge
94 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Sep 24 - CNN Live footage of crime scene manipulation and gun plant
52 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chopped Cheese V. Philly CheeseSteak what you choose?
86 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside Lloyd Banks x DJ Drama | All or Nothing: Live It Up (Official Download/..
173 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Luke Cage Is the Unapologetically Bold Superhero Show Iíve Been Waiting for!#F..
53 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
bruh the Menace 2 Society Interrogation Scene got me fu-king crying :dead:
48 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Bankrupt 50 and his Private Jet
57 comments
21 hours ago