Aug 15 - 'Snitching' T-shirts spark outrage

most viewed right now
Video inside Beans Really Did Get Ko'd
301 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Charlotte PD To Release (Some) Keith Scott Videos, Blame Stop On Weed Now
147 comments
@news
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside GAME in baltimore telling chino and meeky mouse to hold this L
29 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake approves of the game riding round in philly
39 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-15-2005, 06:59 AM         #1
8238 pageviews
90 comments

Blacky Chan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Aug 15 - 'Snitching' T-shirts spark outrage

'Snitching' T-shirts spark outrage
By RAY HENRY, Standard-Times staff writer

NEW BEDFORD -- Rahking Lopes puffed on a cigar as he sauntered inside the same West End housing complex that detectives canvassed door-to-door hours earlier while investigating the recent shooting of a 3-year-old girl.
Few witnesses have stepped forward to offer police information about the gunman who shot the toddler in the leg on Wednesday night, authorities say. Perhaps the message on Mr. Lopes' black T-shirt explains why.
A red octagon resembling a stop sign adorns the front. The white lettering inside carries a simple warning: "Stop snitching."
"It's for the neighborhood," said Mr. Lopes, 24. "Somebody snitched on me. I just got out of jail."
Law enforcement authorities say reluctant witnesses, labeled snitches by their detractors, have hampered investigations into multiple k!llings, including two teenagers shot dead three blocks from Big Willy's Style on Kempton Street where Mr. Lopes bought his shirt.
Witness intimidation in New Bedford has proved a pervasive problem. A gunman fired four shots at the main witness in a gang-related murder this winter. Another received a threatening phone call and chose jail over testifying. One man called to testify complained of being threatened at gunpoint.
"Apparently, this is a fashion statement now," said David Oliveira, a local attorney, who saw a vendor hawking a similar shirt last week at the Feast of the Blessed Sacrament, one of the city's largest cultural attractions.
William H. Shell, the owner of Big Willy's, sells the shirts in his clothing store for $20. They're popular with teenagers, and he has few qualms about selling them.
"Kids don't get shot over T-shirts," he said. "That stuff happened long before this T-shirt came out."
Mr. Shell, 55, said he's only vaguely familiar with the slogan's origin.
The genesis may lie in Baltimore, where police noticed a homemade DVD titled "Stop Snitching" circulating in crime-plagued neighborhoods last year, according to news accounts. Speakers flash guns and jewelry while threatening individuals believed to be cooperating with the police. Denver Nuggets star Carmelo Anthony makes a cameo appearance.
Mr. Shell's stock of "Stop Snitching" shirts came from a wholesale distributor in New York City, he said. They are piled in the middle of his store, available in black, white or camouflage.
"To me, nobody should buy those things," said Lt. Richard M. Spirlet, a spokesman for the New Bedford Police Department. "Why would someone want to wear something like that and think that's the way to go? He should have T-shirts that say, 'Get Involved' or 'Save Your Neighborhood.'"
Big Willy's offers the same variety of fitted baseball caps, Portuguese flags, jewelry and clothing available from its competitors. But more sinister themes are tucked between the Nuggets jerseys and Tupac Shakur shirts.
The $25 rack contains one T-shirt depicting a coffin. It warns that the "game don't stop until the casket drops." Mugshots taken of the leaders of a notorious crack cocaine ring based in Detroit adorn another.
"I won't sell you that one," Mr. Shell told a reporter.
The business does operate with a sense of civic duty, Mr. Shell said. Unlike many convenience stores, he doesn't sell knives or cigarette papers, commonly used to roll marijuana joints.
He generally opens in the evenings because his days are spent working at the United Way-sponsored Hunger Commission to supply food for the needy. A former addict, Mr. Shell helped found Treatment on Demand and formerly led the South First Street Neighborhood a.ssociation.
The Standard-Times named him the New Bedford Man of the Year in 1999 for his civic involvement.
"For him of all people -- I don't believe he could be selling that," said Phyllis Lopes, the leader of the Citywide Neighborhood Alliance, an anti-violence coalition.
Her grandson Cecil was k!lled in a drive-by shooting last Halloween just blocks from Mr. Shell's store. She says the investigation stalled because those at the scene wouldn't talk to the police.
She wouldn't judge the T-shirts she said without first speaking with Mr. Shell. But she said the two-word message "raises eyebrows."
"I would hope it doesn't mean what I think it means," she said. "murder is not entertainment."

Contact Ray Henry at rhenry@s-t.com

[pic - click to view]

http://www.southcoasttoda .. 5/a01lo501.htm

90 comments for "Aug 15 - 'Snitching' T-shirts spark outrage"

08-15-2005, 07:05 AM         #2
Blacky Chan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^dats my hood

cheaa
 08-15-2005, 07:09 AM         #3
krzyboi 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Stop Snitchin
 08-15-2005, 07:12 AM         #4
Blacky Chan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"murder is not entertainment."

and

"Why would someone want to wear something like that and think that's the way to go? He should have T-shirts that say, 'Get Involved' or 'Save Your Neighborhood.'"

is real talk
 08-15-2005, 07:24 AM         #5
I3Baller 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^co sign
 11 years ago '04        #6
uncblizms 
space
space
$743 | Props total: 0 0
haha...the "Get Involved" t-shirt would be big seller too...however prob for the wrong reasons.
 11 years ago '04        #7
syxx2001 
space
space
$2,778 | Props total: 85 85
LOL, if it was 91 it would sell for the right reason.
 08-15-2005, 08:01 AM         #8
Brando457 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
aint never snitch bi*ch
 11 years ago '05        #9
A~team 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,130 | Props total: 358 358
well i think that you should souldent snitch on pity sh*t
 11 years ago '04        #10
RatedQue 49 heat pts49
space
space
$2,829 | Props total: 280 280
n*ggas always talk that Dont Snitch sh*t, but when things get real and they see that time staring them in the face they start singing their a.sses off. Seen it happen too many times, not too many real n*ggas out there, alot of em frontin

Last edited by RatedQue; 08-15-2005 at 08:32 AM..
 08-15-2005, 08:34 AM         #11
sniper1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
where can i get one of those tees lol.
 08-15-2005, 08:40 AM         #12
Buck22 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
where can I get one of these joints???
 11 years ago '04        #13
Barcode 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,136 | Props total: 21 21
welcome to the hood sh*t by arme whas pop'n a few years back....they had the guns on it wit a positive message...
 08-15-2005, 08:43 AM         #14
HumanCrakk 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
i wouldnt snitch cuz ive been snitched on before so personally its against my morals but at the same time going around promoting not snitching to little kids is just gonna end up fu*king up hoods even worse and causing more addicts and k!llings and sh*t
 11 years ago '05        #15
Ushouldpayme 
space
space
$1,744 | Props total: 104 104
This will be a little long but bear with me for a sec.....

What is snitching? That's the question. Is it snitching to report who shot the little girl in the leg? Some n*ggaz play the game the wrong way and fu*k up the hood, there's no organization. After they fu*k up and not take out the right person and injure innocent people then it's, "don't snitch". The guys who don't play the game the way it was supposed to be played need to be in jail. Hate me for this. But this is a big problem in the hood. Dumb fu*kers run reckless and do whatever they want to do and then they don't want consequences for the reckless actions. Play the game right. Hustle smart, remove whomever you have to, but do it smartly if that's yo' thang, but play the game right. n*ggaz always lookin' up to mafia/mob movies but miss the most obvious thing, THEY TAKE CARE OF THEIR fu*kIN' NEIGHBORHOOD. Look at Scarface the Movie, cats always have Tony Montana a.ss on shirts and pictures, but it's Frank who was around for a long a.ss time, Scarface a.ss died because he didn't follow the rules an O.G. gave him. I'm done....thanks for your time.
 08-15-2005, 08:49 AM         #16
Blacky Chan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 sniper1 said:
where can i get one of those tees lol.

yo that store in the article is down the street from me

holla @ me in pm and i could e bay u a shirt
 11 years ago '05        #17
dipset kid0221 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,190 | Props total: 8 8
im lookin for stores around here wit 1 so i can pick me up 1
 11 years ago '05        #18
OMEGAMAN 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,527 | Props total: 9 9
Bullsh*t, I understand there are rules to the streets, but how the hell can you say that the shooter of a 3 year old girl shouldn't go to jail?
 08-15-2005, 08:54 AM         #19
Blacky Chan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 OMEGAMAN said:
Bullsh*t, I understand there are rules to the streets, but how the hell can you say that the shooter of a 3 year old girl shouldn't go to jail?

yea thats where they get it twisted

there are lines to be drawn when its "snichin" and when its yuor duty as a person
 08-15-2005, 09:20 AM         #20
HardWhite 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
either way....STOP SNITCHING!!!
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside White Booty Meat (1 pic)
50 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Y'all Remember Rachel From Boy Meets World???
120 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside New & What's Leaving Netflix: October 2016
46 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Sep 23 - Obama: once out of office, Iím gonna stop being polite and start gett..
74 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Sep 23 - Loaded Gun With Scottís Fingerprints Found on Charlotte Shooting Scen..
212 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Kurt Angle 'took 65 Vicodin a day' at height of issues
108 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Disconnect for Free
55 comments
2 days ago