Mixtape questions- Copyright, Distrubution etc..

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Vado shares pic of incarcerated Loon
37 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Well Damn looks like Meek & DreamChasers wont be coming out the west anytime s..
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lil Reese has been missing meals.
17 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Beanie Sigel:There's No Beef Between Me & Game,I Was There To Write Rhy..
136 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #1
7300 pageviews
14 comments

$ould 
space
space
$278 | Props total: 0 0
Mixtape questions- Copyright, Distrubution etc..

Hi, I guess some of these questions might sound stupid but props for anyone who can help!
1. Do the artists give permission to be on these mixtapes? Are these tracks copyright? Do they know they are on all these mixtapes?
2. I read that these mixtapes are free and your just paying for the cd and 0.1c for the sticker on the cover? Can someone explain this and if your giving out the music for free does that make it lega?
3. How does the DJ hosting the mixtape benefit from the mixtape being out? Do people pay him? Or is it just to get his name out? If the DJ is already big why continue putting out free mixtapes?
4. What type of stores are mixtapes sold in NY? What about South mixtapes where are they sold? Do they get played in clubs?
5. I heard some DJ's get their exclusives from places like Boxden LOL, Is this true and does the Dj just mix mp3s and make a mixtape?
6. Places like mixunit and mixtape kings how are they affilated with the mixtapes and how do they get profit from mixtapes? Is it just from shipping?
7. So could basically anyone just download new mp3s and chuck that sh*t on a mixtape and press it up and sell that as mixtape?

Props for any help as long as this thread goes for!

14 comments for "Mixtape questions- Copyright, Distrubution etc.."

07-30-2005, 05:07 PM         #2
Lungs 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
those are some damn good questions, wish i could answer

props from me as well for whoever schools us
 11 years ago '04        #3
BunDLeZ 
space
space
$3,242 | Props total: 0 0
Damn son...I wish i had tha answers.....I be having themsame questions in my head
 07-30-2005, 05:15 PM         #4
ROYISWAR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
to answer some questions.....

some artists make verses and just put them on beats and give them for mixtapes...then they wind up on an artists retail.......

mixtape djs make money from promotion and all that sh*t not from the selling of them....alot of people would pay good money to have they sh*t on the inside of a mixtape cd

alot of record labels send songs to mixtape djs as a way to create a buzz for upcoming releases

now my question is.....how exactly are they mixed...like i dont think k slay is sitting there with 2 turntables and a microphone
 07-30-2005, 05:20 PM         #5
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I won't talk to much about it for obvious reasons, but it's like this, mixtapes arn't legal (street sh*t, not those released with actual record label backings), won't be legal but artist and dj's still make them. End of story.
 11 years ago '05        #6
Rendition 35 heat pts35
space
space
$10,690 | Props total: 21 21
I just went through some sh*t like this where some n*gga used one of my beats for his mixtape. I didnt care, not sure if I could even take legal actions because I dont even remember what the origanol sample for that beat was. As for this thread, I dont think you have to have artists permission to put their tracks on mixtapes but you wont last long in the game without exclusives
 11 years ago '04        #7
$ould 
space
space
Props to everyone who helped, What i was thinking of doing was getting a mixtape put together with tracks of the moment, and also putting some of my own tracks and some other local artists on a few tracks and the trying to spread the mixtape round the area after clubs, events etc. I'm from Australia by the way and no one round here does mixtapes or anything i thought it would be a good idea to get some hype going for Australian artists as well as getting all the hot new tracks of the moment on the tape. Im still looking into getting someone to mix the cd and host it etc, still early stages so im trying to find out the answers of all these questions to make sure no ones gonna sue me over this.
 11 years ago '05        #8
Rendition 35 heat pts35
space
space
iight I'm going to really try and answer these now. Alot goes into creating a good mixtape, a nice cover, nice beat selection etc.

1. more than likely no, unless that artists is hosting that mixtape. then of course he lets it be known that he is supporting that mixtape, the rest of the tracks are just random hot new tracks by random n*ggas.
2. up and coming n*ggas give out their mixtapes for free, mixtapes are more of a promotional thing. if you see a n*gga givin out a mixtape for free most likely he didnt pay much to do it. like buying the beats, paying for studio time etc. But Big Name DJs who put out mixtapes sell them.
3. If that DJ puts out that mixtape and decides to sell it he gets the money for it. Or he can sell them online. Also if his name gets known more artists will send him exclusive tracks and he'll build off that.
4. mom and pop shops, street corners, etc. Played in clubs? it depends what type of mixtape it is.
5. it's possible. noname dj's probably do. but the big name djs probably get exclusives form the artists
6. no clue
7. I've seen it done

hopefully that answerd some things for you.
 11 years ago '04        #9
$ould 
space
space
props when i can again man. Thanks for answering the questions.
 07-30-2005, 06:30 PM         #10
IRemainRaw 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
FOR PROMOTIONAL USE ONLY_NOT FOR RESALE

and yes dj's make money off tapes,believe that son

also,most tapes these days are just done on a pc using acid/protools/cool edit etc.
and its all jus layered kinda like how you'd layer a track,depending on weather your doing a lotta blends or jus a "pause" (exclusive?) tape
 11 years ago '04        #11
$ould 
space
space
koo koo, 2 other questions

Do you need permission to rap over a instrumental say, cam'rons down and out on a mixtape? I see a lot of mixtapes doing this and i doubt they got permission, these are big name dj's as well.

Also say Kay Slay got Busta or someone hosting his mixtape, they gave him some tracks, but what about all the other tracks? Do big name Dj's like Dj Smallz etc have permission for all they tracks on they mixtapes?
 11 years ago '05        #12
Rendition 35 heat pts35
space
space
nah, you dont need premission from the producers to use beats on mixtapes. You might have to credit that producer on the tracklist if youre planning on sellin it for example. track 1. $ould intro (produced by Alchemist)
 11 years ago '04        #13
NardVa 
space
space
space
$1,639 | Props total: 0 0
 $ould said:
Hi, I guess some of these questions might sound stupid but props for anyone who can help!
1. Do the artists give permission to be on these mixtapes? Are these tracks copyright? Do they know they are on all these mixtapes?
2. I read that these mixtapes are free and your just paying for the cd and 0.1c for the sticker on the cover? Can someone explain this and if your giving out the music for free does that make it lega?
3. How does the DJ hosting the mixtape benefit from the mixtape being out? Do people pay him? Or is it just to get his name out? If the DJ is already big why continue putting out free mixtapes?
4. What type of stores are mixtapes sold in NY? What about South mixtapes where are they sold? Do they get played in clubs?
5. I heard some DJ's get their exclusives from places like Boxden LOL, Is this true and does the Dj just mix mp3s and make a mixtape?
6. Places like mixunit and mixtape kings how are they affilated with the mixtapes and how do they get profit from mixtapes? Is it just from shipping?
7. So could basically anyone just download new mp3s and chuck that sh*t on a mixtape and press it up and sell that as mixtape?

Props for any help as long as this thread goes for!
1. I don't believe the artist give permissons unless they hosting it or dropped it off as an exclusive. But they don't care it's free promo. Back in the day certain dj's got the exclusive sh*t but now a rapper will do a freestyle or have a song and give it to all the Dj's that's why I stopped buying mixtapes. You get newest mistape that dropped and it will be 3/4 of another mixtape.

2. Mixtapes I don't think were free at first but now they are. Since artist/record company can't get any type of royalties of the sells of mixtapes it's illegeal to profit from selling mixtapes. So when you buy a mixtape you'er paying for cover/cd/sticker and the music is free. Nothing but a loophole.

3. I may be wrong, but I thought the Dj's sold the master/right to reproduce his mixtapes to the stores/website that sale the mixtapes. Unless the stores/websites are bootlegging the mixtape and not hitting the Dj off.

4. I'm in Va. We got a mixtape store in my area.

5.Lol. If you'er a small time Dj you may get your sh*t from Boxden, but if you'er big time you probably get your stuff directly from the artist or record label. Most Dj's get new stuff every week for promo purposes especially if they work for a radio station. I think some Dj's join a club or memberhsip where the record labels send you the new music to promote.

6. I think the legit mixtape sites hit the Dj off with a percenatge of sells are pays so much for a master copy or the right to reproduce so many copies. Then you have some mixtape sites that are bootlegging and taking all the profit.

7. Basically yeah. Back in the day you would buy a mixtape and it would have music you can't hear nowhere else and the Dj would showoff some mixing skills. Now it's just collection of all the newest music on the radio or if a new artist just came out it's half his album. But if you buy the new mixtape for this week it's like yu have them all. It's only a preference of which Dj you wanna hear hollering.

Last edited by NardVa; 07-30-2005 at 07:17 PM..
 07-30-2005, 08:06 PM         #14
Lungs 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NardVa said:
1. I don't believe the artist give permissons unless they hosting it or dropped it off as an exclusive. But they don't care it's free promo. Back in the day certain dj's got the exclusive sh*t but now a rapper will do a freestyle or have a song and give it to all the Dj's that's why I stopped buying mixtapes. You get newest mistape that dropped and it will be 3/4 of another mixtape.

2. Mixtapes I don't think were free at first but now they are. Since artist/record company can't get any type of royalties of the sells of mixtapes it's illegeal to profit from selling mixtapes. So when you buy a mixtape you'er paying for cover/cd/sticker and the music is free. Nothing but a loophole.

3. I may be wrong, but I thought the Dj's sold the master/right to reproduce his mixtapes to the stores/website that sale the mixtapes. Unless the stores/websites are bootlegging the mixtape and not hitting the Dj off.

4. I'm in Va. We got a mixtape store in my area.

5.Lol. If you'er a small time Dj you may get your sh*t from Boxden, but if you'er big time you probably get your stuff directly from the artist or record label. Most Dj's get new stuff every week for promo purposes especially if they work for a radio station. I think some Dj's join a club or memberhsip where the record labels send you the new music to promote.

6. I think the legit mixtape sites hit the Dj off with a percenatge of sells are pays so much for a master copy or the right to reproduce so many copies. Then you have some mixtape sites that are bootlegging and taking all the profit.

7. Basically yeah. Back in the day you would buy a mixtape and it would have music you can't hear nowhere else and the Dj would showoff some mixing skills. Now it's just collection of all the newest music on the radio or if a new artist just came out it's half his album. But if you buy the new mixtape for this week it's like yu have them all. It's only a preference of which Dj you wanna hear hollering.
props, what a great response

thanks
 11 years ago '04        #15
$ould 
space
space
Yeah major props! Thanks!!
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside she wanna play ball
58 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I thought French didnt take the birds shopping
21 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Health How You Can Rewire Your Brain
37 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Video inside Fūck a hooters!
58 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside This guy hunts down pedophiles and beats them with a hammer
172 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Luke Cage Is the Unapologetically Bold Superhero Show Iíve Been Waiting for!#F..
52 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Beans Really Did Get Ko'd
384 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Sep 23 - Loaded Gun With Scottís Fingerprints Found on Charlotte Shooting Scen..
231 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy