online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

I Never Knew This About Proofís Murder

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section hiphop

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #1
8834 page views
122 comments

PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34
Props total: 186017 186 K  Slaps total: 56746 56 K
@ 11:27 AM 06-24-2024 icon I Never Knew This About Proofís Murder

This is an excerpt from the XXL magazine

XXL: How were the other people in the club acting at this point?

Mudd: We heard doors lock and I heard a girlís voice say, ďThis what we gonna say yíall. We gonna say Proof got shot at Coney Island [an all-night diner].Ē Me hearing that, Iím looking at my pistol on the ground next to Proofís left hand. I grabbed my pistol. Iím thinking, Yíall can say what you want to say. You already killed the man. But yíall gonna leave this n1gga and dump him somewhere? Iím not going to live with that. I know Iím gonna live and tell the story the correct way. I leave [and] take my gun with me out the back door. Iím watching to see if anybody [is] trying to stop me. As I head up the street, h0rny Mack comes walking between the side of these two houses. Iím hurt and Iím not walking too fast. I see h0rny holding his hand. He said he was hit, he got shot in the hand. Iím like, ďDamn, h0rny, what we gonna do?Ē h0rny bent the corner and went back around toward the club. I went straight. I knew I wasnít going to cooperate with the story. I ainít never been that cat. They want me to cooperate so ainít nobody going to jail. I was like, fu#k that.

Sheeeeesh. Itís like they were pulling a Training Day.
+37   

icon
best
icon
worst
122 comments

Top 10 most propped recently  3 weeks ago '17        #2
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x34 OP
Props total: 186017 186 K  Slaps total: 56746 56 K
What’s crazy is how how Trick Trick didn’t sound certain that the dude who said he drove Proof to the hospital, really drove him to the hospital. “So he says he did……he told me 2 different stories…..he dead now”

Dude got killed a month later found in his basement.

The whole thing was very interesting…..
+40   

3 weeks ago '18        #3
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 100855 100 K  Slaps total: 33123 33 K
What exactly happened with proofs death I forgot? What escalated it.
+18   

3 weeks ago '04        #4
D1nOnlyMrM@  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 46143 46 K  Slaps total: 6434 6 K
 Oswaldgatesjr said
What exactly happened with proofs death I forgot? What escalated it.
Argument over pool?
+19   

3 weeks ago '11        #5
RileyEsco 
Props total: 92961 92 K  Slaps total: 749 749
What was your relationship with Proof like most recently?

It was like five years of catching up on all the experiences he had been through. It was still the big brother/little brother type relationship. We had a routine: Wild Woodyís on Wednesday, Tuesday was Northern Lites, Mondays we would hang at a t1tty bar call Jon-Jon's, Saturday was the State Theater. If I wanted to see him or find him, I knew where to go. We would play pool at Bookies.

In the last few months before his death, was there anything different about Proof?

It was different. He was starting to get more focused. He had stopped all the pills and weed smoking. Before, we were deep into metaphysics. Anything that he was doing, he was fully aware of the concepts. Proof [was] not only a very intelligent person, he was very spiritual as well.

Tell us about that night. How did it start off?

Once we started hanging, we started hanging until the sun came up. After hours was nothing out of the norm for us, we had been doing that since í95. It was a Monday night. I text him. He says, ďIím at the Coliseum. Me, h0rny Mack and Chop.Ē The Coliseum is a strip tease establishment. We at the t1tty bar chilliní. Got the booth, drank a little, hollered at the DJ. Then we go to the Rolex, another strip tease establishment, and then we go to the CCC. I had been there numerous times before that. It was kind of a shady spot. Cats always had they pistols. We hip-hop and from Detroit, but you still got to keep strapped, because Detroit is a gangsta-ass city, and thereís a lot of cats that want to play gangsta here. Certain cats get down and the East Side has the reputation for being the grimier side of town.

What happened when you went inside Triple C?

For some reason they searched everybody, but they didnít search me. I had my pistol on me, of course. We had some drinks, everybody buzzed up. It was a private establishment and it wasnít really that crowded that night. The guy that I [now] know as Keith Bender was playing pool with Proof. h0rny Mack [another person in Proofís entourage] was watching the game. I was kinda pissed there wasnít no ladies in the house. I just chilled, watched the game for a minute and went to the other side of the bar. We were getting ready to leave. We walked out the door. We saw two girls from the Rolex, one I was hollering at previously.

I go back in and I didnít get searched again. Proof started hollering at one of the girls. I started hollering at the other girl. We kickiní it. Iím macking, Iím doing the Mudd thing. Meanwhile, to my left I see Bender and Proof having some words. They started to get a little loud. I told old girl, ďHold on for a second. Letís try to calm sh1t down.Ē It wasnít anything out of the ordinary for Proof to get drunk and fight. [He had] that personality, the Derrty Harry, the scrap-happy type of individual.

How was Keith Bender acting at this point?

ďI donít care who the fu#k you are,Ē thatís what Bender was saying to Proof. Even with [Proof] being on the cover of Rolling Stone, he still would go around to different spots and show love in the city. Of course Bender knows who he is. He went to Osborn with himóon that side of town, thatís the main high school. They know each other and Iím sure theyíve had dialogue before this. Everybody knows somebody from somebody. At the time, I didnít notice, [but] this was pretty much the Osborn crowd, just grown.

They in the argument, so we separate them. I remember my last words to Bender were ďCalm down, it ainít that serious.Ē He had his arms folded, leaning up against the back of the bar. Proof was talking to L.A., the owner of the club, trying to smooth the sh1t out. Thatís when Keith Bender walked around me. Nobodyís really watching him because we thinking the sh1t is cool.

Bender walks around me, and walks up behind Proof and punches him in the face with his right hand. Everybody starts backing up like, ďGet out the way, let them fight.Ē There were people up there with Bender. We were all going to fight, but this discrepancy was between these two gentlemen. All of a sudden I hear some shots coming from my right side, behind me. I look up and see itís Mario Etheridge shooting in the air, I guess to break up the fight.

How did you react when you heard the first shots?

Reflex-wise, I put my hand on my gun. Itís already escalating and now muthafu#kas shooting. Iím going for my pistol. Proof knew I had my pistol. Proof tackles me across the room onto the pool table. As heís pushing me back. Iím looking at Etheridge. Heís shooting in the air. At the same time Proofís pushing me. Iím telling him, ďHeís shooting in the air, donít sweat it.Ē Heís like, ďMudd, give me the gun.Ē I tell him, ďHe ainít trying to kill us.Ē Proof slams me into the back of the pool table. I fall back, he pulls my pistol from my waistband. He walks across to where he was fighting with Bender and he shoots in the air, I guess answering the shots that Mario put in the air. And so with that, Bender attacks him. Theyíre struggling. Iím getting off the pool table because my back is fu#king killing me, so Iím kind of slow reacting, getting over to the side of the room. Before I could get over there, Mario had came through and started shooting in the direction of Proof and his cousin, Keith Bender. I see them both drop. Thereís smoke everywhere. Mario Etheridge leaves. Iím moving people out of the way. I see Proof lying there hit, blood everywhere. Keith Bender is lying there bleeding, blood slowly running out of his head.

What happened next?

Iím reaching for my phone. Itís in the car. h0rny Mack has the keys. Iím like, ďUnlock the door, let me get my phone so I can call 911.Ē I go get my phone, I come back in. I look and Benderís body is gone. Iím looking around and the back door is open. I see Proof, Iím checking for the vitals. Ainít none. There was this look in his eye, he wasnít there anymore. I still couldnít call 911. It was more so shock than anything. Iím normally cool under pressure-type situations, but it was one of those things. We couldnít do nothing, say anything. Chop [the third man in Proofís entourage] was there. He was crying. Chopís looking at me like, Where are those keys? Iím still looking at Proof. Chopís screaming. Iím like, ďWho got the keys? h0rny Mack?Ē And heís like, ďI donít got the keys.Ē We were going to get his body out and get him to the hospital.

How were the other people in the club acting at this point?

We heard doors lock and I heard a girlís voice say, ďThis what we gonna say yíall. We gonna say Proof got shot at Coney Island [an all-night diner].Ē Me hearing that, Iím looking at my pistol on the ground next to Proofís left hand. I grabbed my pistol. Iím thinking, Yíall can say what you want to say. You already killed the man. But yíall gonna leave this n1gga and dump him somewhere? Iím not going to live with that. I know Iím gonna live and tell the story the correct way. I leave [and] take my gun with me out the back door. Iím watching to see if anybody [is] trying to stop me. As I head up the street, h0rny Mack comes walking between the side of these two houses. Iím hurt and Iím not walking too fast. I see h0rny holding his hand. He said he was hit, he got shot in the hand. Iím like, ďDamn, h0rny, what we gonna do?Ē h0rny bent the corner and went back around toward the club. I went straight. I knew I wasnít going to cooperate with the story. I ainít never been that cat. They want me to cooperate so ainít nobody going to jail. I was like, fu#k that.

Iíve never been shocked before or terrified beyond the capacity of rational thought. I couldnít remember where the fu#k I had parked my car. Iím in a state of shock. I called my cousin who is a lawyer, told her, ďThis is what happened. It was my gun. Am I in any kind of trouble?Ē I ainít trying to go jail. I donít want nobody to come looking for me in retaliation. I know they trying to corroborate a story. I donít know what to do.

How did you carry on after that?

The next day I didnít go to work. My cousin called in. She basically gave me the best legal advice: ďThereís two things you do. You can either go in and tell a story, or you can say nothing at all. Homicide detectives are going to come looking for you.Ē I waited it out for a day. My phone is blowing up. 6 oíclock in the morning. Itís the first thing on the news, ďRapper Proof was killed along with another man and police are looking for Bizarre.Ē I donít know how they got Bizarreís name. Maybe the name Mudd sounded bizarre. Bizarre was in Atlanta. [He] ainít even hanginí in spots like that. That was kind of a signal, somebodyís talking to police and to media. Iím like, Damn, itís [only] a matter of time.

I just chilled out with my cousin for a minute and I didnít go home the first night. The second night I did come home, but I didnít know if anybody was looking for me, so I parked around the corner and walked to my place and went in through the back door. I went to work the next day. I was just kind of waiting to see whatís going to happen.

I got a phone call from Salaam Wreck. I met Salaam through Proof, but I donít know him like that. I know heís the DJ for D12. Heís like, ďI heard you was there.Ē I kind of blew him off. Then Swift calls me like, ďMudd, what happened? We talked to h0rny Mack and we heard you was there. Come talk to us. We all at the studio. Emís here and we want to talk.Ē After 11, I called back to the studio. I think Swift was there and Salaam Wreck. Swiftís been my man since back in the day and heís always been a standup guy. I end up telling the story all over again.

So how did the detectives actually get in touch with you?

That next morning Proofís cousin, Dwayne, called me and he told me about this lawyer, David Gorash, and [said] if Iím in any kind of trouble, they had my back. All of a sudden [thereís] a wrongful death suit, and muthafu#kas talking about suing. I went down to the studio to talk to some of the artists from D12 and David Gorash. The rumor was Proof shot Bender in the face and Mario came over and shot and killed Proof. That ainít the fu#k what happened, but thatís what everybodyís saying. I even heard h0rny Mack tell that story, from another party. And Iím like, ďHe was standing right there. He saw what I saw.Ē Everyone was asking me, ďWhat happened to Proofís jewelry?Ē He always had his jewelry when we were hanging out. His Rolex, P-chain and pinky ring. We talking a lot of jewelry thatís worth a lot of money. I was like, ďI donít know. Whoever stayed, you might want to ask them.Ē

Word is out, Mudd was there. People would see us together like all the time. Itís out in the street now. It wasnít out in the news or papers yet. David Gorash asked me to talk to someone in homicide. At the time, we didnít know ballistic-wise who shot who. We still donít know to this day.

I went down to 1300 Beaubien [Detroit Police headquarters]. I made a statement. The detectives said they would keep it under wraps and I didnít have to worry about my statement getting involved in the media. At the same time, theyíre cops. I donít trust them. I feel fu#ked up for going to cops in the first place. But here it is, Iím in a catch-22 situation. Iím worrying about people seeing me and knowing me from that spot, because the East Side of Detroit is a very small place. I am already thinking of what the consequences may be, because Iím the only one telling my story. Later, I heard thereís another person telling the story exactly how I did. They still didnít tell me who it was. I donít even think I met this person. Iím feeling out here by myself. I know Chop knows them and Chop ainít going to say nothing. I heard at the time h0rny Mackís story changed so many different times so he wasnít credible. Regardless, I was going to tell the truth. I go down there to talk to homicide and they said they wasnít going to say sh1t. I go to work and people [are] still calling me. Iím blowing off cats left and right. I asked the guys from D12 and the lawyer had suggested that none of them repeat what I told them.

Tell me about the funeral.

Time goes by, the wake comes up, funeral comes up. Thyme and I spoke at the funeral. Even in the obituary it mentions us. Mama, Proofís mother, included us in there. You donít think about that type of sh1t everydayóit was an honor. The funeral was touching. I hadnít cried like that since I was a kid. It was more so mental with me, because I was there. h0rny Mack was at the funeral and we were the only people who witnessed it. It was one of those things that was just tragic and fu#ked up all because of nothing.

Cont:
+67   

3 weeks ago '09        #6
The Bully  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x51
Props total: 206007 206 K  Slaps total: 44294 44 K
Proof was a dope rapper
emoji
+32   

3 weeks ago '11        #7
RileyEsco 
Props total: 92961 92 K  Slaps total: 749 749
Backing up for a minute, you said you recognized Mario Etheridge from high school?

I didnít know that I knew Mario. You know, you see people later in life and theyíre grown up and they gain weight? I remember him young. I look different from high school too. I had a nose ring, dreadlocks, big hoop earrings, baggy pants. I looked in the yearbook, and low and behold, there he was. I remember him from high school. He was chubby then.

Then I found out that Proof and Keith Bender were at Osborn together. Everybody in the place knows each other from somewhere or are familiar with each other. It almost seemed like this was some high school grudge sh1t, as petty as it is. You start investigating more and itís like, Damn, this sh1t should have never happened. Detroitís [the] hater capitol of the world and muthafu#kas wanna take sh1t to the next level. It escalated for nothing.

Why did you decide to tell part of the story anonymously to XXL several months ago?

I decided to do it once everything started going wrong. Thereís two men tragically lost, and Benderís family is thinking about how much money heís going to get. Bender started the whole thing. And then Benderís cousin started shooting. And here it is, we outnumbered. I know these muthafu#kas are going to say whatever they can to keep Mario from going to jail.

Sooner or later, it was going to come out that I was there, so I might as well for Proofís sake, for his familyís sake and for his kidsí sake. Heís got five kids. You want to take money from his children? You want to take money from his loved ones, from his mother? Thatís fu#ked up. I felt obligated, morally. [For] someone Iíve known that long and saw him killed, I got to say something.

As far as testifying, when did they contact you?

I didnít hear about the case until the day they subpoenaed me. Three homicide detectives came up to my job on Monday (September 18). One detective, Charles Zwicker, I recognized from the first time. He wrote the statement down. Iím calm now that I see a familiar face. Heís like, ďYouíre being subpoenaed. You got to appear in court tomorrow morning at 8:45.Ē Theyíre like, ďYouíre the last witness.Ē

I really couldnít sleep that night. I got down there and walked in and the detective who subpoenaed me told me to step outside. ďLook over your statement, and make sure you donít talk to nobody.Ē

I step up to the stand. The prosecutor examined me and his defense cross-examined me. After I gave the testimony, Proofís mother came in on the second half. They brought the gun out and asked me if I recognized the pistol. I knew everything about my gun, even my serial number. I told them, ďGlock 32, semi-automatic, mid-size .357 caliber.Ē

A guy came up to me who was on the stand when I first walked in. I knew he looked familiar. He introduced himself as L.A. ďIím the club owner,Ē he [said]. ďAinít no love lost, you did the right thing.Ē The defense had asked me, Did I know how Proof had got to the hospital? Turns out L.A. took him to the hospital, at least thatís what he told me. He told me ainít no love lost. He loved Proof, that was his boy and he still has the chess set Proof gave him. Proof lost a game of chess, and he had to buy him a crystal chess set. Heís like, I still got the blood-stained shirt with his blood all over it. That was my man, I loved him. You ainít got to worry.

I remember reading it in full when it first came out.

His story sounds more along the lines of what happened. Even though it's his childhood homie, it comes across as an unbiased account of what happened.

Proof just crashing out randomly, even if drunk, didn't seem like the reality.
+39   

3 weeks ago '06        #8
illathruz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 23534 23 K  Slaps total: 4711 4 K
OMG, do you all try to make sh1tty threads that can't be understood except for a select few, or do you all just not even know your threads are incomprehensible?

3 weeks ago '21        #9
Busterdog 
Props total: 9346 9 K  Slaps total: 706 706
Did Em put that million on someone’s head like he promised on that Obie Trice joint?
+11   

3 weeks ago '22        #10
lovetalkgames 
Props total: 12844 12 K  Slaps total: 2728 2 K
Rip Proof
+12   

3 weeks ago '22        #11
50sTaxWriteOff  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 13419 13 K  Slaps total: 2415 2 K
 Busterdog said
Did Em put that million on someoneís head like he promised on that Obie Trice joint?
Eminem wasnít Proofís only friend you know
emoji
+16   

3 weeks ago '05        #12
Quddus 
Props total: 19085 19 K  Slaps total: 3705 3 K
 PackerTrelli3 said

This is an excerpt from the XXL magazine

XXL: How were the other people in the club acting at this point?

Mudd: We heard doors lock and I heard a girlís voice say, ďThis what we gonna say yíall. We gonna say Proof got shot at Coney Island [an all-night diner].Ē Me hearing that, Iím looking at my pistol on the ground next to Proofís left hand. I grabbed my pistol. Iím thinking, Yíall can say what you want to say. You already killed the man. But yíall gonna leave this n1gga and dump him somewhere? Iím not going to live with that. I know Iím gonna live and tell the story the correct way. I leave [and] take my gun with me out the back door. Iím watching to see if anybody [is] trying to stop me. As I head up the street, h0rny Mack comes walking between the side of these two houses. Iím hurt and Iím not walking too fast. I see h0rny holding his hand. He said he was hit, he got shot in the hand. Iím like, ďDamn, h0rny, what we gonna do?Ē h0rny bent the corner and went back around toward the club. I went straight. I knew I wasnít going to cooperate with the story. I ainít never been that cat. They want me to cooperate so ainít nobody going to jail. I was like, fu#k that.

Sheeeeesh. Itís like they were pulling a Training Day.
The sad part is that spot proof was at was some janky hole in the wall off 8 mile. I been there plenty of times proof must of knew them to go there and hang.

It's sad all the way around. Proof was good dude. I hung out with him and had fun. He got me in the club and never tripped on hangers-on.
+41   

3 weeks ago '17        #13
R Shackleford 
Props total: 22841 22 K  Slaps total: 1555 1 K
 illathruz said
OMG, do you all try to make sh1tty threads that can't be understood except for a select few, or do you all just not even know your threads are incomprehensible?
emoji
+1   

3 weeks ago '17        #14
StandUpFella09 
Props total: 19374 19 K  Slaps total: 2217 2 K
Proof was very intelligent......but hung out at clubs and bars damn near every night
emoji
+25   

3 weeks ago '17        #15
Acebit 
Props total: 16723 16 K  Slaps total: 3476 3 K
I used to fu#k with his BM in Denver. His son like a soph in college now

3 weeks ago '20        #16
Chern 
Props total: 4029 4 K  Slaps total: 559 559
 illathruz said
You just need to be able to read bruh. I know itís long as sh1t, Iíll give you that
+19   

3 weeks ago '18        #17
Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x271
Props total: 347913 347 K  Slaps total: 10790 10 K
Damn, RIP Big Proof.

+20   

3 weeks ago '04        #18
nikeairon 
Props total: 1073 1 K  Slaps total: 31 31
One of my fave albums back in the day

+5   

3 weeks ago '10        #19
ColeWorld  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x24
Props total: 27847 27 K  Slaps total: 2400 2 K
Rip Proof
+11   

3 weeks ago '06        #20
 Chern said
You just need to be able to read bruh. I know itís long as sh1t, Iíll give you that
Not only is it long as sh1t, it lacks needed context, is rambling with unneeded details, is boring, and is presented in an incomprehensible fashion (unless you want to spend one hour deciphering this)

If you are a die hard fan, maybe that's ok with you. But for a casual like me, it misses out what could have been a great chance to create more awareness on a topic that is clearly not understood

3 weeks ago '20        #21
Chern 
Props total: 4029 4 K  Slaps total: 559 559
 illathruz said
Not only is it long as sh1t, it lacks needed context, is rambling with unneeded details, is boring, and is presented in an incomprehensible fashion (unless you want to spend one hour deciphering this)

If you are a die hard fan, maybe that's ok with you. But for a casual like me, it misses out what could have been a great chance to create more awareness on a topic that is clearly not understood
yeah it's a long play by play from XXL from someone there.

remember reading this a while back.
+5   

3 weeks ago '22        #22
FaceFckDatHoe 
Props total: 8418 8 K  Slaps total: 2043 2 K

+7   

3 weeks ago '06        #23
 Chern said
yeah it's a long play by play from XXL from someone there.

remember reading this a while back.
I feel like the purpose of boxden is to summarize, and then also provide the full source

When folks don't do that, I assume they are being paid by marketers to spread the content
+9   

3 weeks ago '12        #24
ZlatanDrogba  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 14977 14 K  Slaps total: 1252 1 K
good looking out, never knew about the story in detail like that.
+7   

3 weeks ago '20        #25
Tweezy12  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 139644 139 K  Slaps total: 42710 42 K
Mario ethridge is dead?
+1   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+8921
Video inside Did you ever notice this in OutKastís Ms Jackson?
70 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+2320
Eminem - The death of Slim Shady (Coup de Gr√Ęce) [ALBUM DISCUSSION]
671 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 3 kids, 3 baby daddies, and taking care of them all alone but his pants..
145 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside When A Drug Dealer's Worst Fear Comes True Enforced Uncut
60 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish