online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Jun 21 - Working remote = No Promotion?

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '22        #1
3174 page views
72 comments

SeanDon122  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 46042 46 K  Slaps total: 3514 3 K
@ 01:47 PM 06-21-2024 [emoji] Jun 21 - Working remote = No Promotion?

https://arstechnica.com/g .. to-the-office/

Dell announced a new return-to-office initiative earlier this year. In the new plan, workers had to classify themselves as remote or hybrid.

Those who classified themselves as hybrid are subject to a tracking system that ensures they are in a physical office 39 days a quarter, which works out to close to three days per work week.

Alternatively, by classifying themselves as remote, workers agree they can no longer be promoted or hired into new roles within the company.

The publication spoke with a dozen Dell employees to hear their stories as to why they chose to stay remote, and a variety of reasons came up. Some said they enjoyed more free time and less strain on their finances after going remote, and nothing could convince them to give that up now. Others said their local offices had closed since the pandemic or that they weren't interested in promotions.

Others still noted that it seemed pointless to go in to an in-person office when the teams they worked on were already distributed across multiple offices around the world, so they'd mostly still be on Zoom calls anyway.

One person said they'd spoken with colleagues who had chosen to go hybrid, and those colleagues reported doing work in mostly empty offices punctuated with video calls with people who were in other mostly empty offices.

Many interviewed admitted they were looking for work at other companies that aren't trying to corral employees back into the office.

Dell is not the only company struggling with this. For example, we've reported several times on Apple's internal struggles and employee revolts over remote work.

Executive management at the companies trying to restore in-person work culture claim that working together in a physical space allows for greater collaboration and innovation.

Research on this topic has offered mixed insights, but there does seem to be some consensus that remote work is accompanied by very modest drops in productivity—for example, a working study at the Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research suggested around a 10 percent drop in productivity, even as it noted that the cost-saving benefits of remote work could make up for some of that.

Which would you choose?
+9   

icon
best
icon
worst
72 comments

1 month ago '18        #2
DUCEDUCE  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 108994 108 K  Slaps total: 12954 12 K
I gave up remote for a huge raise. But when I get a chance I will start looking again and Remote will be something that could swing me to take a job. But reality speaking I never get why they want people in office. My job I coudl be doing remote but the powers that be.
+23   

1 month ago '22        #3
The Peacemaker 
Props total: 16198 16 K  Slaps total: 4242 4 K
I have a new found respect for remote workers. Ive been doing virtual training from home all week for a new job i just got, Ive been miserable having to stay indoors
+15   

1 month ago '24        #4
magaSlapper 
Props total: 2153 2 K  Slaps total: 1710 1 K
I’m fully remote and I love it

That’s really weird. I guess it depends on field. I’m in software dev and we promote people all the time

Even with my developers, why on earth wouldn’t they get a promotion if they earned it? I don’t give a fu#k if you’re in office or at the pool. If you’re sh1ts done and you can respond when I need I don’t care. sh1t I was playing Elden ring with a dev lead an hours ago
+40   

1 month ago '21        #5
2Pac Cares  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 24208 24 K  Slaps total: 23830 23 K
 The Peacemaker said
I have a new found respect for remote workers. Ive been doing virtual training from home all week for a new job i just got, Ive been miserable having to stay indoors
The feeling isn't mutual

1 month ago '05        #6
Fauby  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 52301 52 K  Slaps total: 6467 6 K
I been remote for 4 years. No amount of money would make me want to go back to the office full time. I make good money and travel around the Caribbean on company dime (Caribbean is my sales area).
+38   

1 month ago '24        #7
magaSlapper 
Props total: 2153 2 K  Slaps total: 1710 1 K
 Fauby said
I been remote for 4 years. No amount of money would make me want to go back to the office full time. I make good money and travel around the Caribbean on company dime (Caribbean is my sales area).
This right here. Instead of office sh1t. They done fu#ked up and raised my corporate credit card limit. Our finance bi#ch is on my a$s cause I hardly use it

Got a message today, “what is sweet water brewing? And what was 500 bucks hahaha”
+4   

1 month ago '23        #8
ThesOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 15950 15 K  Slaps total: 3192 3 K
 The Peacemaker said
Congratulations on the new job brother!

emoji
+2   

1 month ago '09        #9
rexplosive  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x26
Props total: 27174 27 K  Slaps total: 2528 2 K
 DUCEDUCE said
I gave up remote for a huge raise. But when I get a chance I will start looking again and Remote will be something that could swing me to take a job. But reality speaking I never get why they want people in office. My job I coudl be doing remote but the powers that be.
Cause more people in office is how our society runs
You go work, you go get food near by, go stores after work / breaks
It helps especially downtown core
Plus the building assets / leases owners gotta eat too

Plus tbh you get more company moral/ networking / collaboration through in person

However, I want to work form home so eff it
Haha

Union jobs will help fight that
+11   

1 month ago '06        #10
sunsetnVine 
Props total: 33938 33 K  Slaps total: 3168 3 K
 rexplosive said
Cause more people in office is how our society runs
You go work, you go get food near by, go stores after work / breaks
It helps especially downtown core
Plus the building assets / leases owners gotta eat too

Plus tbh you get more company moral/ networking / collaboration through in person

However, I want to work form home so eff it
Haha

Union jobs will help fight that
Ur almost there. Powers that be are trying to stave off the inevitable reit crash.

Empty offices break investors who then don’t pay taxes. Biden nor trump want that on their watch so we will force the end of remote work is the answer. Fireworks coming

emoji

emoji
+3   

1 month ago '14        #11
Hoodsta1e11 
Props total: 15551 15 K  Slaps total: 2410 2 K
 DUCEDUCE said
It doesnt make sense to keep employees in office
when you have employees working remote attendance is up company saves money cuz they dont have to pay space rent, building utilities or building insurance

1 month ago '22        #12
The Peacemaker 
 2Pac Cares said
The feeling isn't mutual
Nothing wrong with that brother. Go on and be about your paper

ThesOne said
Congratulations on the new job brother!

emoji
I appreciate that brother. Finally found something i can make a career out of working with individuals that have learning and physical disabilities
+4   

1 month ago '09        #13
kellz423 
Props total: 96 96  Slaps total: 45 45
At this point I have no interest in fully remote work, ill do a hybrid schedule occasionally depending what I have going on but I like the interaction and networking aspect. Sitting at home all day sounds brutal, I can care less about gas savings or whatever else benefits yall gonna say.
+4   

1 month ago '17        #14
one il matt 56  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 34163 34 K  Slaps total: 5334 5 K
What corporate America is failing to realize is n1ggas don’t give a damn about climbing the corporate ladder like they used to

Unless you’re the chosen one or in that circle, tire never ever ever going to reach the C-Suite of any of these major companies

Promotions come with 80% more work and responsibility but 20% of the pay

n1ggas would much rather stay at their level, cop 1 or 2 more remote jobs and make more than they ever would at their respective gig
+8   

1 month ago '07        #15
blablablabla 
Props total: 431 431  Slaps total: 70 70
I have love-hate relationship with 100% remote work. Sometimes I go crazy being at home all day; wake up, bathroom, walk to my home office, work, virtual meetings, eat, walk to the living room, chill, go out, come home, TV, sleep, repeat. I think hybrid where I choose when I want to go to the office is ideal. I wouldn't want to be forced to go 2-3 days a week. Let me choose if I want to go once a week, 5 days in a week, or 0 days in a week. But I definitely miss an office. Sometimes I just bike to a coffee shop or a park to work and be in a different space. But yeah, the savings is crazy. Don't have to drive to work, so less mileage and car maintenance and obviously less gas. I don't have to pay for public transit (I'd drive to the bus station back in the day to catch a bus downtown), don't have to spend on lunch. Spend on my wardrobe, cologne, etc.
Anyways, there's pros and cons but after being 100% remote for the last 4 years, I wouldn't mind having an office to pop into once in a while. Even if it's empty. Just to switch it up and be in a new environment.

Last edited by blablablabla; 06-21-2024 at 06:13 PM..
+6   

1 month ago '04        #16
Mercury 
Props total: 13886 13 K  Slaps total: 665 665
I have to go into the office 3 times a week and its pointless

I'm in VA and my supervisor is in Cali. I only have 2 teammates in my office, the rest are spread out across the country

When we were at home during the pandemic, i used little to no PTO. And my numbers were WAY more productive
+6   

1 month ago '10        #17
Hovi Bryant 
Props total: 24618 24 K  Slaps total: 6577 6 K
Doesn't sound like a raw deal if I'm already in a senior position. But in reality, choosing remote is probably the same raising my hand for being laid off in the near future.

Feels like the unlimited PTO trap of tech companies. No one dares to take time off because they don't want to be seen as "that guy".
+2   

1 month ago '12        #18
NYCBravado 
Props total: 15850 15 K  Slaps total: 1512 1 K
I believe that a lot issues with the fact that remote work is going to take a lot of venues away from the city. There’s gonna be less people on trains if they could work remote, there’s gonna be less accidents on the road, less claims and insurance companies will be able to list. Just so many different things that’s gonna, try to pigeon people go back into the office
+3   

1 month ago '07        #19
Gunner 
Props total: 5434 5 K  Slaps total: 276 276
Been fully remote since 2004. I will never go back into the office. Worked, traveled and lived abroad in D.R. since 2013. Traveled to Brazil. Went to Thailand in April for 20 days for my birthday. Heading to D.R. on Monday. Probably hit Costa Rica or Colombia in a month. October I am heading back to SE Asia for 3 months to hit Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, and Philippines. Plenty of remote position in customer service, data entry, coding and software development, I.T. and Cybersecurity. The money and lifestyle is there if you educate yourself and level up your skills. Don't ask for permission, just go out there and get it.

If you need anymore info on breaking into tech, starting a youtube or monetizing your brand. Hit me me at or DM me IG at AlejandroAbroad. The game is easy if you pay attention.

Last edited by Gunner; 06-22-2024 at 08:29 AM..
+14   

1 month ago '06        #20
illathruz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 23794 23 K  Slaps total: 4753 4 K
 DUCEDUCE said
Number one reason to work in person is faster collaboration

It can be achieved remotely somewhat, but not in every circumstance​

I feel like a healthy balance of remote/in-person benefits a company and is also good for a workers networking opportunities. You know how sometimes you see the same person every day on your commute and you sometimes chit-chat? It's random encounters like that, that can broaden your social circle. Sure it can happen in your hood, but when commuting you meet different walks of life
+5   

1 month ago '06        #21
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 43354 43 K  Slaps total: 11006 11 K
Depends on the job but with a lot of office jobs these days, it’s clear as fu#k that they basically just have people commuting to a computer.
emoji
Think about that.
emoji
+9   

1 month ago '22        #22
Jeffrey in 813  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 15779 15 K  Slaps total: 10258 10 K
 magaSlapper said
I’m fully remote and I love it

That’s really weird. I guess it depends on field. I’m in software dev and we promote people all the time

Even with my developers, why on earth wouldn’t they get a promotion if they earned it? I don’t give a fu#k if you’re in office or at the pool. If you’re sh1ts done and you can respond when I need I don’t care. sh1t I was playing Elden ring with a dev lead an hours ago
what kind of software dev you do?
emoji

1 month ago '23        #23
ThesOne  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 15950 15 K  Slaps total: 3192 3 K
 The Peacemaker said
Nothing wrong with that brother. Go on and be about your paper

emoji

I appreciate that brother. Finally found something i can make a career out of working with individuals that have learning and physical disabilities
I WFH too. It was all good in the beginning until the pr0n addiction took its grip and my social skills diminished. Now I’m just a recluse with social anxiety and ED.
emoji
+5   

1 month ago '17        #24
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 106956 106 K  Slaps total: 9638 9 K
emoji

Jackasses got me going two days. Its a damn ghost town cus its random days people go in. Its really no reason for us to be in that office
+4   

1 month ago '22        #25
The Peacemaker 
 ThesOne said
I WFH too. It was all good in the beginning until the pr0n addiction took its grip and my social skills diminished. Now I’m just a recluse with social anxiety and ED.
emoji
Yeah its not easy brother. I didnt mean to come off as disrespecting work from home jobs, im the last person that has any right to disrespect any job

I just get depressed and anxious when im home alot. I have struggled with pr0n and ED as well, i cant think of anything more embarrassing
emoji

I want to an Asian massage place a year ago and it ended with her telling me that it wasnt working right
emoji
+3   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+9110
Youtuber Exposes All The Women He Smashed After Interviewing Them… Showing How..
210 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+356
Video inside 4 am at Copacabana Beach, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
45 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Could you marry an adult star ??
216 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+554
Article inside Just Saw Deadpool and Wolverine Tonight
67 comments
1 day ago
@movies