online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Jun 12 - Man who set woman on fire aboard bus not criminally responsible for her death

icon

more
topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

4 weeks ago '14        #1
1160 page views
25 comments

strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 210415 210 K  Slaps total: 49246 49 K
@ 06:22 PM 06-12-2024 icon Jun 12 - Man who set woman on fire aboard bus not criminally responsible for her death

YT

The man charged with killing a woman by setting her on fire on a TTC bus two years ago admitted to causing her death, but should not be found criminally responsible due a diagnosis of schizophrenia, prosecutors and defence counsel argued at the outset of his trial in Toronto.

Led into the courtrooms in handcuffs on Monday morning, Tenzin Norbu pleaded not guilty to the charge of first-degree murder in front of Superior Court Justice Maureen Forestell, presiding over the matter without a jury. Norbu was arrested and charged with the attempted murder of Nyima Dolma in June 2022, shortly after he set her on fire aboard a bus at Kipling Station in west Toronto.

Dolma and Norbu were strangers to one another at the time of the offence.

According to an agreed statement of facts, Dolma, on her way to work as a caregiver, was sitting near the back of the bus when Norbu boarded and stood behind her. In an interaction that lasted minutes, Norbu, who immigrated to Canada in 2008, asked the woman if she was Tibetan before removing a mason jar of lighter fluid from his backpack, dousing her in it, and igniting the substance, the court heard during the Crown's opening statements. She suffered burns to 60 per cent of her body, covering her face, neck, arms, and legs.

The incident was captured in its entirery on TTC surveillance footage but was not tendered as evidence in the case to protect against further collateral trauma.

After 18 days in hospital, Dolma died on July 5, 2022. She was 28 years old. At that time, police upgraded Norbu's charge to first-degree murder.

Police say 28-year-old Nyima Dolma, pictured, died of her injuries in hospital July 5 after being set on fire by a stranger at Kipling Subway Station on June 17, 2022. (Handout /Toronto Police)

On Monday, both Crown prosecutors and Norbu’s lawyers asked Justice Forestell to find him not criminally responsible for Dolma’s death, arguing that a “long-standing” psychotic state rendered him incapable of fully understanding what he’d done.

Alina Iosif, a forensic psychiatrist who reviewed years worth of Norbu’s medical records before assessing him, told the court she believed he suffered from schizophrenia when he attacked Dolma, and that he had displayed psychotic behaviour for nearly a decade prior to the offence. Norbu had likely been misdiagnosed with depression years earlier and was medicated as such, she said.

Norbu’s delusions, Iosif testified, included ongoing preoccupations with Tibetan politics, fire, and his s3xuality, and, on several occasions, he revealed to doctors a desire to light himself on fire, she said.

“I see these themes as almost obsessional,” she testified. “The cornerstone of these themes is anchored in psychosis.”

Lawyers for Norbu did not call any evidence following Iosif’s testimony but made a joint submission that their client be found not criminally responsible.

“Mr. Norbu suffered from a longstanding diagnosis of schizophrenia,” Crown attorney Brady Donohue told the court. “There is clear evidence that he was delusional, psychotic, disorganized and for that reason, he could not understand that his act was wrong.”

In a prepared statement read out loud to the court, Dolma’s sister called the day of the attack “the darkest day of her life.”

“She had a whole life ahead of her,” she said. “I can’t put into words the pain, suffering, trauma I had to go through.”

TTC Supervisor Cameron Jackson, who tried to help Dolma after she ran from the bus and onto the Kipling platform, also gave a statement in which he said the incident still serves as a “stark reminder of the fragility of life.”

“Every interaction is tinged with a sense of detachment,” Jackson said from the witness stand. “As I grapple with the barrage of memories, I replay every moment of the incident in a desperate attempt to decipher what I could have done differently.”

Justice Forestell is scheduled to hand down her decision on Tuesday.

https://toronto.ctvnews.c .. yers-1.6920441
+5   

icon
best
icon
worst
25 comments

4 weeks ago '04        #2
ItAlY2BkLyN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 93922 93 K  Slaps total: 16681 16 K
fu#k all that. Insanity or schizophrenia shouldn't be an excuse. kill that crazy son of a bi#ch. Can't save everybody
+21   

4 weeks ago '04        #3
milan 
Props total: 3005 3 K  Slaps total: 997 997
This is Canada, extreme violence is remedied w counselling

And protesting for your freedom is met w draconian punishment

Main concern in this land is gdp connected to government decisions
+5   

4 weeks ago '14        #4
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29 OP
 ItAlY2BkLyN said
fu#k all that. Insanity or schizophrenia shouldn't be an excuse. kill that crazy son of a bi#ch. Can't save everybody
whats interesting about this case is that i believe both of these individuals were from Tibet. so imagine moving to another country halfway around the world. just to encounter a stranger by chance. who happens to be also from that place . and he leads to your demise.

i think he asked her on the bus if she was from tibet. she responded yes. then he proceeded to pour lighter fluid on her and light on her fire.

he was sane enough to plead not guilty
emoji
+5   

4 weeks ago '22        #5
Voodoogeddon  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 23910 23 K  Slaps total: 7141 7 K
Did he know the broad from sweet home
emoji

4 weeks ago '24        #6
Magic Stick  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 2918 2 K  Slaps total: 3162 3 K
Wow

4 weeks ago '17        #7
R Shackleford 
Props total: 22841 22 K  Slaps total: 1555 1 K
Send that psycho to the booby house then. Pretty sure those sentences are long and up to the discretion of the facility
+4   

4 weeks ago '16        #8
ghoti 
Props total: 7123 7 K  Slaps total: 507 507

Stay off those Canadian buses
+3   

4 weeks ago '23        #9
Yopa 
Props total: 22621 22 K  Slaps total: 9378 9 K
He's insane a fukking nut

4 weeks ago '14        #10
 Yopa said
He's insane a fukking nut
I wonder how mentally insane person was able to immigrate to Canada. And then allowed to roam the streets , how did he get past that first check point .
+1   

4 weeks ago '22        #11
K Durants Brush 
Props total: 5424 5 K  Slaps total: 283 283
How could he literally not know what he was doing schizophrenic or not.

You have to be consciously aware that lighter fluid and fire cause things to burn. If he really wasn't aware of what he was doing the fluid could have been water, olive oil, vinegar or some other bullsh1t but nah, he specifically chose lighter fluid and fire.

That criminal defense of insanity is some bullsh1t.
+7   

4 weeks ago '23        #12
Vibez 
Props total: 4101 4 K  Slaps total: 807 807
Oh well, time to become the Punisher.

For my family, I'd enjoy the hunt
+1   

4 weeks ago '22        #13
Candidnigga 
Props total: 58309 58 K  Slaps total: 5404 5 K
As yall know

I live in Toronto and a canadian n1gga

I drive though

Smh I heard about this last week. fu#king insane ��
+1   

4 weeks ago '12        #14
njrp77 
Props total: 968 968  Slaps total: 190 190
An eye for an eye doesn’t make the world blind it just makes a bunch of one eyed motherfu#kers

We need changes worldwide on justice, it seems nobody knows the meaning of the word
+1   

4 weeks ago '05        #15
ice wolf  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x37
Props total: 46010 46 K  Slaps total: 21880 21 K
Trudeau’s Canada

Fvck the depraved Left
+2   

4 weeks ago '11        #16
Silencer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 71127 71 K  Slaps total: 3006 3 K
Thats some bs right there.

Imagine if that was 1 of your relatives that was burned to death. Mother, sister, aunt, daughter, etc and theres no legal get back for it.
+3   

4 weeks ago '22        #17
Candidnigga 
 njrp77 said
An eye for an eye doesn’t make the world blind it just makes a bunch of one eyed motherfu#kers

We need changes worldwide on justice, it seems nobody knows the meaning of the word
Amen

4 weeks ago '07        #18
yola  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x91
Props total: 147747 147 K  Slaps total: 23205 23 K
At the outset of his trial on Monday, both Crown prosecutors and Norbu’s lawyers asked Forestell to find Norbu not criminally responsible for Dolma’s death, arguing that a “long-standing” psychotic state rendered him incapable of fully understanding what he’d done.
you find all kinds of goodies when you move past the emotionally charged and sensationalized news clip

After 18 days in hospital, Dolma died on July 5, 2022. She was 28 years old. At that time, police upgraded Norbu's charge to first-degree murder.
at some point, we need to end this detachment with reality

and stop letting primal groupthink herd mentality emotions steer the ship

first degree murder is 100% dependent on premeditation

they had zero evidence that this was planned and targeted

it's a fu#ked up story, but it ain't like dude is free living the life

At the time of the attack, Norbu was under the belief that members of the Tibetan community hated him and that Dolma was recording him on video, Forestell told the court Tuesday.

4 weeks ago '16        #19
postemupndunkit 
Props total: 100201 100 K  Slaps total: 12145 12 K
 ice wolf said
Trudeau’s Canada

Fvck the depraved Left
Blaming Trudeau is insanity , you know good and well Canada has always been lenient and opposed long a$s sentences

4 weeks ago '16        #20
postemupndunkit 
 Candidn1gga said
As yall know

I live in Toronto and a canadian n1gga

I drive though

Smh I heard about this last week. fu#king insane ��
Is driving safer tho?

Every time I touch the 401 between Pearson and Yonge I pray, 410 I pray

sh1t is out of hand man

4 weeks ago '22        #21
Candidnigga 
 postemupndunkit said
Is driving safer tho?

Every time I touch the 401 between Pearson and Yonge I pray, 410 I pray

sh1t is out of hand man
LMFAOOOOO

Is driving safer than being on public transit with other people ?

Yes n1gga driving is safer

+2   

4 weeks ago '16        #22
postemupndunkit 
 Candidn1gga said
LMFAOOOOO

Is driving safer than being on public transit with other people ?

Yes n1gga driving is safer

LMAO stay with me

Think about it b, how many accidents you see on the 400 series highways versus how many times you hear about someone getting attacked on the TTC ?

I work in Sauga bro these streets are mod rn

4 weeks ago '22        #23
Candidnigga 
 postemupndunkit said
LMAO stay with me

Think about it b, how many accidents you see on the 400 series highways versus how many times you hear about someone getting attacked on the TTC ?

I work in Sauga bro these streets are mod rn
Bro

There's not way you can compare

Ttc vs driving

Let's break it down

Ttc
-rush hour (packed buses, trains)
- kids (othe people's kids, teenagers finishing school
-homeless people
-delays
-being attacked, having your sh1t stolen

Driving
-rush hour traffic
-accidents (that doesn't happen THAT often)
-consutruction
-parking

Listen

I'm taking driving >

I dont have to deal with people and be in my car in peace

Transit only make sense if your going DT.... or to a sports event

That's it homie lmao

4 weeks ago '08        #24
LevelHeaded 
Props total: 4866 4 K  Slaps total: 787 787
 Vibez said
Oh well, time to become the Punisher.

For my family, I'd enjoy the hunt
i prefer death wish in my analogy

but yeah the insanity thing, id have to hear more about the case to understand why they were able to put that conviction on it. maybe he just has a good a$s lawyer

4 weeks ago '14        #25
 yola said
you find all kinds of goodies when you move past the emotionally charged and sensationalized news clip

at some point, we need to end this detachment with reality

and stop letting primal groupthink herd mentality emotions steer the ship

first degree murder is 100% dependent on premeditation

they had zero evidence that this was planned and targeted

it's a fu#ked up story, but it ain't like dude is free living the life
he boarded a bus with lighter fluid and a match. is that not premeditation ???
emoji
why wasn't he carrying vegetable oil or olive oil....or canola oil....?? why wasn't he carrying lubrication and a dildo ???? no he was carrying things that could specifically harm someone ...

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+8918
Video inside Did you ever notice this in OutKast’s Ms Jackson?
70 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+2318
Eminem - The death of Slim Shady (Coup de Grâce) [ALBUM DISCUSSION]
671 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside 3 kids, 3 baby daddies, and taking care of them all alone but his pants..
145 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside When A Drug Dealer's Worst Fear Comes True Enforced Uncut
60 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish