online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Ghostface killah Shares Major Complaint About Today’s Rappers

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

4 weeks ago '18        #1
3186 page views
101 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x268
Props total: 338372 338 K  Slaps total: 10659 10 K
icon Ghostface killah Shares Major Complaint About Today’s Rappers

"Ghostface killah has a major complaint about today’s rappers, and he really wishes one of them would do something about it.

The Wu-Tang Clan legend sat down with Rolling Stone on Friday (May 17), where he revealed that he didn’t think today’s rappers knew about the art of storytelling.

“I don’t hear n-ggas doing storytelling no more, man,” he said. “There might be Nas. You might still got [Slick] Rick out there doing it … Raekwon, [GZA]. A lot of stuff be regular darts, regular raps. Everything with this new generation is about clubs.”

He continued: “A lot of pu$$y getting thrown around and sh1t. It ain’t like with MC Lyte. Even when Lil’ Kim did it, she was gangsta with it. She was a rapper’s rapper. … But the Lauryn Hills of this sh1t [are] gone. Even the Foxys and sh1t like that, like a lag came over it. But all this other ‘lick my ass,’ ‘my butthole brown’ sh1t, it’s like … it’s too much.”
egg

This isn’t the first time that Ghostface killah has reflected about times gone by.

Last month, Ghost sat down with Big Daddy Kane for a session with HipHopWired‘s “I Got Questions,” wherein he revealed that “All That I Got Is You” — the classic track featuring Mary J. Blige off of 1996’s Ironman — causes him so much sorrow that he doesn’t perform it live.

“It just gets me sad,” he explained. “I don’t really perform that because it brings me back to a place where we was going through it. That record brings pain.”
egg

Ghostface isn’t shy about performing in general, however, as he recently proved when he joined Fat Joe onstage during the Terror Squad rapper’s recent Harlem show.

Last month, the Terror Squad boss hosted the Fat Joe & Friends concert at the historic Apollo Theater in New York City’s Harlem neighborhood.

During the set, he welcomed several rap veterans on stage such as 50 Cent, Ghostface killah, Lil Kim, Ashanti, The LOX, Remy Ma and State Property, among many others.

The concert, which was put together in celebration of the 20 year anniversary of Joey Crack’s 2004 hit “Lean Back,” also featured performances of “Shook Ones, Part II” by Mobb Deep‘s Havoc, “Déjà Vu (Uptown Baby)” by Peter Gunz, “We Fly High (Ballin’)” by Dipset and many more."

https://hiphopdx.com/news .. -today-rappers
+39   

icon
best
icon
worst
101 comments

4 weeks ago '09        #2
Chalky  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
Props total: 106180 106 K  Slaps total: 11324 11 K
Wrong OG they still do.
🔗

+14   

4 weeks ago '21        #3
Fatt Kidd 
Props total: 20572 20 K  Slaps total: 7244 7 K
He started out with a point but made absolutely no connection. Slick Rick is his example of someone that’s out now doing storytelling.

Then he didn’t give an example of what those artists do that he likes. I saw the jab at Poundtown but… that’s a story.
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #4
Real 
Props total: 53106 53 K  Slaps total: 8698 8 K
How about instead of constantly complaining about what we don't like about the "mainstream", let's try to actually focus and shine a light on how creative these "underground" artists have been out here for years now.

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

This also a big reason why I champion n1ggas like Mach-Hommy, Billy Woods, Navy Blue, Earl Sweatshirt, and Roc Marci etc.. as my GOATS. They don't just make individual straight forward story tracks. Instead their whole style and approach to song writing and crafting album's can legit paint and plays out like full stories/movie scenes to me.

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

🔗

sh1t is so vivid. And not that it necessarily hasn't been done before but something about these n1ggas whole style and approach to writing is so got damn fire and unique to me
emoji

Man there's so many incredible artists out here doing this type of sh1t just in their own way.

🔗

emoji

Last edited by Real; 05-22-2024 at 08:53 AM..
+40   

4 weeks ago '12        #5
daman729 
Props total: 167321 167 K  Slaps total: 6714 6 K
Bruh aint do his research because it's tons of rappers who still incorporate stories in their raps.

Last edited by daman729; 05-22-2024 at 09:06 AM..
+17   

4 weeks ago '15        #6
JRob1125 
Props total: 47979 47 K  Slaps total: 4186 4 K
I've been listening to so much underground Hip Hop and R&B lately that it's kinda hard to keep up with. This is the first year where I truly don't care about what's going on in the mainstream
+13   

4 weeks ago '16        #7
smokeytheblunt2 
Props total: 92801 92 K  Slaps total: 6878 6 K
that, auto tune and almost everybody sounds like everybody…….

there’s a lot of exceptions in every case but most of the people in a region all have the same flows, production and subject matter……..

there’s nobody taking chances. I’m not sure how to articulate this really but I’ll try. nobody really steps outside their lane anymore. the best(and really only) examples I have off top is like when Biggie used Bones flow on “Notorious Thugs” or when Meth glide on a West Coast rappers feature spot…….

Idfk…….
+4   

4 weeks ago '16        #8
smokeytheblunt2 
 JRob1125 said 🔗
I've been listening to so much underground Hip Hop and R&B lately that it's kinda hard to keep up with. This is the first year where I truly don't care about what's going on in the mainstream
yeah, I’ve been listening to a ton of R&B lately(reg speed and Slowed and Chopped). pretty much an even split between 90’s-mid 2000’s era and 60’s-80’s era……..

this time of year I’m always pretty Dancehall/Reggae heavy too……..
+2   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '16        #9
BMC1000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x41
Props total: 109811 109 K  Slaps total: 17625 17 K
There so much music out there these comments don't make sense

I get what he saying but that really just applies to mainstream top 10 rap but dot tell a lotta storys
+7   

4 weeks ago '13        #10
EZ Green  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 99326 99 K  Slaps total: 14035 14 K
CLEARLY storytelling has fallen tf off. If the south is "running the game" but doesn't tell stories then that's what happens.
+4   

4 weeks ago '15        #11
Villain  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 57769 57 K  Slaps total: 6093 6 K
 EZ Green said 🔗
CLEARLY storytelling has fallen tf off. If the south is "running the game" but doesn't tell stories then that's what happens.
The worst thing to happen to mainstream hip hop was the South taking over.

99% of them pick making money over making timeless art.

emoji
+6   

4 weeks ago '19        #12
Big Gurthy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 38263 38 K  Slaps total: 4166 4 K
U autistic a$s n1ggas can’t understand when ppl make these comments they talking about the mainstream.

n1ggas ain’t going all the way out the way to find that sh1t like y’all mfs with nothing else to do.
+17   

4 weeks ago '19        #13
FrivolousSports 
Props total: 194827 194 K  Slaps total: 52931 52 K
His last album was a weed plate
+2   

4 weeks ago '07        #14
PurpleKush 
Props total: 12362 12 K  Slaps total: 2400 2 K
 FrivolousSports said 🔗
His last album was a weed plate
beats were wack...you wanna hear some storytelling sh1t listen this
🔗

+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #15
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 136817 136 K  Slaps total: 8794 8 K
 JRob1125 said 🔗
Beautiful isn't it?
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #16
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 136817 136 K  Slaps total: 8794 8 K
 smokeytheblunt2 said 🔗
that, auto tune and almost everybody sounds like everybody…….

there’s a lot of exceptions in every case but most of the people in a region all have the same flows, production and subject matter……..

there’s nobody taking chances. I’m not sure how to articulate this really but I’ll try. nobody really steps outside their lane anymore. the best(and really only) examples I have off top is like when Biggie used Bones flow on “Notorious Thugs” or when Meth glide on a West Coast rappers feature spot…….

Idfk…….
I miss those days ... everyone tried to "experiment" in some way
+3   

4 weeks ago '16        #17
smokeytheblunt2 
 NAKHI ALLAH said 🔗
I miss those days ... everyone tried to "experiment" in some way
for sure…….

and more times than stepping outside their box would pay off……
+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #18
Villain  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 57769 57 K  Slaps total: 6093 6 K
 Big Gurthy said 🔗
U autistic a$s n1ggas can’t understand when ppl make these comments they talking about the mainstream.

n1ggas ain’t going all the way out the way to find that sh1t like y’all mfs with nothing else to do.
↪🔗

A website that keeps track of all underground releases. Clean and minimalistic with links.

emoji
+8   

4 weeks ago '04        #19
Adwerdz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x149
Props total: 274334 274 K  Slaps total: 31527 31 K
I honestly been listening to more alternative music over hip hop lately, just puts me more in a lighter peaceful and creative space.

There’s a lot of repetitive underground hip hop that has been dropping lately with no replay value and it’s just rappity rap
+9   

4 weeks ago '18        #20
Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x268 OP
 Adwerdz said 🔗
I honestly been listening to more alternative music over hip hop lately, just puts me more in a lighter peaceful and creative space.

There’s a lot of repetitive underground hip hop that has been dropping lately with no replay value and it’s just rappity rap
Hip Hop is lacking a purpose.
+5   

4 weeks ago '04        #21
 Eclectic said 🔗
Hip Hop is lacking a purpose.
Yea n1ggas not being creative enough and just wanna copy and paste. this is why I miss Sean Price, but Roc Marciano fills the void, Ka also
emoji
+3   

4 weeks ago '18        #22
 Adwerdz said 🔗
but Roc Marciano fills the void, Ka also
emoji
Marciano is dope as fu#k, I really dig Ransom myself.
+6   

4 weeks ago '04        #23
 Eclectic said 🔗
Marciano is dope as fu#k, I really dig Ransom myself.
Yea Ransom up there too and 38 Spesh
+5   

4 weeks ago '18        #24
 Adwerdz said 🔗
Yea Ransom up there too and 38 Spesh
Preach!!!!!

🔗

+2   

4 weeks ago '15        #25
He Hate Me 
Props total: 79282 79 K  Slaps total: 7709 7 K
 daman729 said 🔗
Bruh aint do his research because it's tons of rappers who still incorporate stories in their raps.
He gotta be talking mainstream cuz ain’t no way.
+1   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+1610
Video inside The real reason “Moesha” was cancelled..
62 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
props+178
Chris Brown Took Your PAWG Dawgg?
95 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+665
Video inside "Ya'll Niccas In ATL Are Being Taken By Storm By These New Things Calle..
207 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+285
KRS one said anyone who downplays latinos role in hip hop are stupid
223 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop