online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Jeff Daniels Says Agents Wanted Him Off ‘Dumb and Dumber'

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

Top 10 most propped recently  1 month ago '18        #1
1099 page views
22 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x269
Props total: 339620 339 K  Slaps total: 10700 10 K
icon Jeff Daniels Says Agents Wanted Him Off ‘Dumb and Dumber'

"Peter Farrelly’s buddy comedy “Dumb and Dumber” will be celebrating its 30th anniversary in December, and star Jeff Daniels recently looked back on how his agents were quite apprehensive about him taking on the role of Harry Dunne opposite Jim Carrey as Lloyd. While the movie would go on to become a comedy classic and earn $247 million worldwide, Daniels told USA Today that the script was not in line with the “serious actor” his agents wanted him to be at the time.

“I had agents, who weren’t wrong, telling me, ‘You’re a serious actor. This is not the direction you need to be going. We’re going to stop this and get you off this movie,'” Daniels said. “But I wanted to shake it up with a comedy. And I wanted to work with Jim Carrey.”

Daniels admitted that he feared his agents might’ve been right when it came time to film one of the film’s most disgusting and memorable set pieces in which Harry unknowingly drinks a laxative-spiked tea and ends up having a blowout on the toilet. The actor knew such a scene would be a make or break it moment for his career.

“It’s one thing to read the toilet scene, but then the day comes, and we’re actually going to do the toilet scene,” Daniels said. “I told Jim [Carrey], ‘This is either the beginning of my career or the end of it.’ Jim, who is fearless, told me, ‘It’s going to be great. You’ve just got to go all the way with it.'”

“That was a couple hours of porcelain gymnastics,” Daniels added about filming the toilet scene. “And that close-up when they pop in tight on my red face. I had been doing it so long, I had almost passed out.”

Daniels said he later heard praise for the scene from none other than Clint Eastwood. The two were golfing together at a celebrity tournament when Eastwood pulled Daniels aside.

“Clint says to me, ‘I just saw Dumb and Dumber and you know, the toilet scene? That happened to me,'” Daniels said. “And then he tells a story about dating this woman that he really wanted to impress, but the shellfish hit him the wrong way from lunch.”

“I did my job, beyond my job,” Daniels concluded. “In terms of comedic scenes, that toilet scene will probably outlive us. It will be funny 40 years from now.”

Head over to USA Today’s website to read Daniels’ interview in its entirety.
 https://www.usatoday.com/ .. e/73593855007/

https://variety.com/2024/ .. er-1236010649/
+15   

icon
best
icon
worst
22 comments

1 month ago '04        #2
eazyvaboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 60835 60 K  Slaps total: 2818 2 K
He didn't have any problems bouncing back because he was great in The Martian and Newsroom.
+12   

1 month ago '17        #3
lucifershammer  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 84703 84 K  Slaps total: 8104 8 K
Did they say the same thing about the sequel?

1 month ago '04        #4
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 48287 48 K  Slaps total: 7758 7 K
Wouldnt it have been more about going toe to toe next to jim carey but they didnt have the guts to tell him straight up
+5   

1 month ago '17        #5
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 28752 28 K  Slaps total: 2961 2 K
Still my favorite comedy of all time by a good stretch. It's been a while since I've seen it, but it's not possible for me to watch the whole way through without laughing. Favorite part is still probably Jim's ridiculous dream sequence.
+9   

1 month ago '07        #6
killahkazi 
Props total: 23392 23 K  Slaps total: 2190 2 K
🔗

+3   

1 month ago '22        #7
Htown Reefa 
Props total: 27 27  Slaps total: 5 5
emoji
+4   

1 month ago '22        #8
MONEY WORLD 
Props total: 17858 17 K  Slaps total: 16125 16 K
Absolute classic.

The sequel was some trash that should have never happened tho.
+3   

1 month ago '05        #9
rashcobar 
Props total: 30905 30 K  Slaps total: 4004 4 K
He was surprisingly funny in that flick. When I first watched it I was only interested in JC's performance. On re-watches I grew to appreciate JD on a different level.
+5   

1 month ago '05        #10
rashcobar 
Props total: 30905 30 K  Slaps total: 4004 4 K
Lloyd! Lloyd!
emoji

🔗

+5   

1 month ago '11        #11
Slingy 
Props total: 14859 14 K  Slaps total: 3824 3 K
I love this movie because I had seen it so many times when I was younger and thought it was funny. I’ve re-watched it now that I’m older and caught so many jokes I didn’t recognize back then.

These 2 specifically

🔗

🔗

+5   

1 month ago '11        #12
SteffDub 
Props total: 21744 21 K  Slaps total: 1993 1 K
 WHATEVERMAN said 🔗
Still my favorite comedy of all time by a good stretch. It's been a while since I've seen it, but it's not possible for me to watch the whole way through without laughing. Favorite part is still probably Jim's ridiculous dream sequence.
I love when he spazzed on shorty at the gas station lol “Just give me the got damn number” !!
+8   

1 month ago '06        #13
realgunta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 140944 140 K  Slaps total: 5963 5 K
classic flick
+1   

1 month ago '15        #14
CALL AGAIN 
Props total: 30323 30 K  Slaps total: 3594 3 K
I always remind people too give Dumb and Dumberer a shot! I think it was judged to harshly but the casting was great and it was a pretty funny stupid movie nothing in comparison to the original ofc but kind of a nice homage to it the two main actors nail being young Harry and Lloyd.

It's definitely one of the best cash grab sequels with almost nothing to do with the original cast or creators production wise.
+4   

1 month ago '17        #15
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 28752 28 K  Slaps total: 2961 2 K
 SteffDub said 🔗
I love when he spazzed on shorty at the gas station lol “Just give me the got damn number” !!
Yeah, that's a good one. The end was pretty funny too with the bikini tour bus LOL.
+1   

1 month ago '05        #16
Tha Boss  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 191062 191 K  Slaps total: 51154 51 K
Jim ad libbed

WE LANDED ON THE MOON

Wonder what else was ad libbed

1 month ago '17        #17
becoolhomie2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x24
Props total: 32797 32 K  Slaps total: 10687 10 K
Hasn’t been seen since

1 month ago '12        #18
NYCBravado 
Props total: 15653 15 K  Slaps total: 1504 1 K
It’s called having range.

1 month ago '17        #19
Berr 
Props total: 4620 4 K  Slaps total: 609 609
Kick his a$s c-bass

1 month ago '06        #20
Panasonic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 20062 20 K  Slaps total: 1078 1 K
He’s been making music now lol

🔗

Side note Jackie Chan got many albums
emoji

🔗

+1   

1 month ago '18        #21
Dehone 
Props total: 109490 109 K  Slaps total: 7282 7 K
Dumb and Dumber is my GOAT movie since I was in high school. That movie is comedy perfection.

Jim Carey with his improv

🔗

When I was stationed in Hawaii, my homie and I would always say “big gulps huh?” At random

Jeff Daniels made the perfect duo with Jim
🔗

“I’m gonna kill you”

emoji
+1   

1 month ago '18        #22
Dehone 
Props total: 109490 109 K  Slaps total: 7282 7 K
 Tha Boss said 🔗
Jim ad libbed

WE LANDED ON THE MOON

Wonder what else was ad libbed
The Big Gulps scene

The most annoying sound in the world. The dude they picked up was legit pissed.

emoji
+1   

1 month ago '07        #23
killahkazi 
Props total: 23392 23 K  Slaps total: 2190 2 K
🔗

+1   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+3919
Video inside Ozempic got some side effects and doctors never told y'all n*ggas
120 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+10117
Image(s) inside Simpson meme describes the modern day gym :yaohah:
70 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+2416
Video inside Baron Davis on NBA Players Getting Extorted, Robbed, & Shot at in Los A..
200 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props-6412
The reality of you dudes that think you look “young for your age”
81 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish