online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Alfonso Ribeiro Says His ‘Fresh Prince Of Bel Air’ Role Ended His Acting Career

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT section tv / movies

4 weeks ago '18        #1
5656 page views
129 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x268
Props total: 338369 338 K  Slaps total: 10659 10 K
icon Alfonso Ribeiro Says His ‘Fresh Prince Of Bel Air’ Role Ended His Acting Career

"In a new interview with Closer Weekly, Alfonso Ribeiro said his iconic role in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air as Carlton Banks was a “sacrifice” for his acting career.

“Playing Carlton on ‘Fresh Prince’ became a sacrifice. I used to always say doing Carlton was the greatest and worst thing that ever happened to me,” Ribeiro said.

“It was one of the greatest roles that I ever was fortunate enough to play. But it was also the role that stopped me from acting again because people couldn’t see me as anything else. The sacrifice was not having an acting career anymore.”

Despite that downer of a sentiment, Ribeiro does have favorite memories from filming.

“It was about the cast and spending time with them. Before every show, we would go into Will Smith’s dressing room, and we’d play music and dance and just have a great energy buildup to get ready for the show. Those are some great memories of just being together,” he recalled.

The 52-year-old is currently co-hosting Dancing with the Stars with Julianne Hough after winning season 19 in 2014.

“I’m enjoying being a host and am very happy with it. But, yes, I would go back to acting if it was exactly the right thing,” he said.

He also hosts America’s Funniest Home Videos and Jack Hanna’s Passport, both on ABC.

“My happiest moments, career-wise, are winning Dancing With the Stars and now becoming host of Dancing With the Stars. And after winning Dancing With the Stars, I got the opportunity to do the show that I always wanted to do – America’s Funniest Home Videos, Ribeiro said."

https://deadline.com/2024 .. er-1235923663/
+39   

icon
best
icon
worst
129 comments

4 weeks ago '16        #2
AfroBucks88  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 171401 171 K  Slaps total: 5446 5 K
i guess maybe 'In The House' was what really type casted him
but if 50 calls him for the next season of BMF or Raising Kanan he gonna show up ?
emoji

or he wanted to be a serious dramatic actor?
+62   

4 weeks ago '14        #3
Sphynx 
Props total: 145409 145 K  Slaps total: 33709 33 K
Same sh1t Braxton from Jamie Foxx said
+73   

4 weeks ago '16        #4
aquisite04  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 23479 23 K  Slaps total: 2550 2 K
Nobody forced him to shuck and jive.. nobody forced him to be the friendly unassuming nonthreatening graham cracker that ameriKK-a loves.

Nobody forced him to be a cornball... Don't cry now when you benefited from the spoils...

I loved that show definitely but it is what it is

4 weeks ago '15        #5
kaydot901 
Props total: 7789 7 K  Slaps total: 358 358
Perception is a mutha. Dude was cool af & slick goated to me, Silver Spoons was my sh1t, The Pepsi Commercial with MJ, n1gga really knew Michael jackson & was on tv early, then got the Fresh Prince and was right back on a top show for years. He was less Carlton on in the house. He never played a negative role on tv or crashed out in real life. Then reinventing himself with Dancing with the Stars and winning and getting the host spot & parlayed it into the job he wanted. That's some admirable sh1t. Carlton>>>Will Rest In Peace Uncle Phil.
+82   

4 weeks ago '16        #6
Pyschic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 40167 40 K  Slaps total: 1924 1 K
Same thing happened to this guy >>>>
emoji
+91   

4 weeks ago '17        #7
GodBody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x75
Props total: 92416 92 K  Slaps total: 11400 11 K
If that's how he feels then that's how he feels. But personally, this sounds like an excuse to me because if he had range he should've shown us. Learn how to write, find a script or a writer to write a challenging role for you to showcase your range as an actor. That could make people momentarily forget about Carlton.

But don't just throw your hands up and quit
+26   

4 weeks ago '16        #8
lars  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 52858 52 K  Slaps total: 4242 4 K
 AfroBucks88 said 🔗
i guess maybe 'In The House' was what really type casted him
but if 50 calls him for the next season of BMF or Raising Kanan he gonna show up ?
emoji

or he wanted to be a serious dramatic actor?
Carlton in BMF would be hilarious, everybody gonna want him to do the dance.
+20   

4 weeks ago '06        #9
Props total: 5425 5 K  Slaps total: 867 867
He just need to pull a Kevin James and change his entire appearance for a role

Last edited by 9.18; 05-20-2024 at 05:06 PM..
+14   

Top 10 most slapped recently  4 weeks ago '22        #10
BreakkerSzn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x111
Props total: 198061 198 K  Slaps total: 235118 235 K
Wayans Bros>>>Martin
emoji

4 weeks ago '06        #11
Storchaveli  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 42896 42 K  Slaps total: 10856 10 K
Victim of his own success. He was too damn good and funny in that role to be looked at as anyone else after that show.
emoji
+42   

4 weeks ago '17        #12
ImIHM 
Props total: 26794 26 K  Slaps total: 9314 9 K
 aquisite04 said 🔗
Nobody forced him to shuck and jive.. nobody forced him to be the friendly unassuming nonthreatening graham cracker that ameriKK-a loves.

Nobody forced him to be a cornball... Don't cry now when you benefited from the spoils...

Wow

So because he didn’t play a thug he was all of that?
+25   

4 weeks ago '17        #13
ImIHM 
 GodBody said 🔗
If that's how he feels then that's how he feels. But personally, this sounds like an excuse to me because if he had range he should've shown us. Learn how to write, find a script or a writer to write a challenging role for you to showcase your range as an actor. That could make people momentarily forget about Carlton.

But don't just throw your hands up and quit
Na he definitely had range. Remember that episode when he joined a gang? He surprised me in that episode

Honestly, that’s just the breaks. Entertainment is perception and once that’s set it takes something big to shake that up and something big doesn’t always come.

For Jamie Foxx that was Ray.

For Will Smith that was Ali (or I am Legend)

Imagine what Jamie would be if not for Ray

Also, you’re typecasted if studios WANT you to be typecasted. Bokeem Woodbine said the same thing and he’s a great actor. But they kept wanting to give him thug roles. The studios try to put what they think in the audience. If you see Carlton as multiple different people he’s not going to be Carlton in your eyes the way he is now

Last edited by ImIHM; 05-20-2024 at 10:46 AM..
+3   

4 weeks ago '20        #14
Ninjahood  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 28388 28 K  Slaps total: 4265 4 K
 Pyschic said 🔗
emoji
Type casted like a mofo.
+13   

4 weeks ago '21        #15
Optimus Maximus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 18127 18 K  Slaps total: 6916 6 K
 ImIHM said 🔗
Na he definitely had range. Remember that episode when he joined a gang? He surprised me in that episode

Honestly, that’s just the breaks. Entertainment is perception and once that’s set it takes something big to shake that up and something big doesn’t always come.

For Jamie Foxx that was Ray.

For Will Smith that was Ali (or I am Legend)

Imagine what Jamie would be if not for Ray
Alfonso Ribeiro is just making excuses for his lack of success after the Fresh Prince ended.

Personal accountability and responsibility is something a lot of people like you lack.
+4   

4 weeks ago '19        #16
1mcchicken2go 
Props total: 4325 4 K  Slaps total: 290 290
I don't know. He's a legend as that character, but it sounds like he didn't nail the audition over and over and over

act your a$s off be a diff char. that is the literally the job. he just didnt make the cut cause we've seen many people get thru that same hurdle.

Steve urkel was more screwed than Carlton
emoji
he had no chance

Optimus Maximus said 🔗
Alfonso Ribeiro is just making excuses for his lack of success after the Fresh Prince ended.

Personal accountability and responsibility is something a lot of people like you lack.
I agree. Dude had to go dancing with the stars and the other bs shows, he had no choice lol
+3   

4 weeks ago '04        #17
nwking  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x9
Props total: 38810 38 K  Slaps total: 4176 4 K
 Sphynx said 🔗
Same sh1t Braxton from Jamie Foxx said
Yeah True and he ended up on BMF
+8   

4 weeks ago '05        #18
JimDinO77  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 62702 62 K  Slaps total: 9358 9 K
bullsh1t excuse... If Marlon Wayans could do a serious role, so could Urkel and Carlton... If they had a bunch of B-Movie attempts that failed, cool... these n1ggas barely tried to break the perception
+9   

4 weeks ago '17        #19
ImIHM 
 Optimus Maximus said 🔗

And by people like me you mean what?

Your sisters and girl cousins love people like me though
emoji

You’re East Asian right? Why aren’t you saying “n1gga” like you were before?
+5   

4 weeks ago '15        #20
CALL AGAIN 
Props total: 30230 30 K  Slaps total: 3587 3 K
How many actually make it out of sitcoms and tv shows tho? That is basically where you just become a tv show jobber.

In the extremely rare cases of dudes like Leo DiCaprio, Will Smith, Bruce Willis, and George Clooney that all caught perfect waves with their big break roles being similar to what we saw on tv but leading into other things.

Alfonso and so many others never even had a chance, but they still got something. I recently met. Sasha Mitchell out here in Japan he was for some martial art stuff he was Cody from Step by Step he was blowing up then got shot down down to some allegations it was interesting talking to him tho. He seemed pretty content with his life now and that step by step sh1t didn't even get brought up until after. Life goes on in whatever field you choose. Don't shoulda coulda would your a$s to death l.
+11   

4 weeks ago '17        #21
ImIHM 
 1mcchicken2go said 🔗
I don't know. He's a legend as that character, but it sounds like he didn't nail the audition over and over and over

act your a$s off be a diff char. that is the literally the job. he just didnt make the cut cause we've seen many people get thru that same hurdle.

Steve urkel was more screwed than Carlton
emoji
he had no chance

I agree. Dude had to go dancing with the stars and the other bs shows, he had no choice lol
This bi#ch just sh1tted on black people and you said “I agree”?

4 weeks ago '17        #22
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x32
Props total: 184505 184 K  Slaps total: 56248 56 K
 Pyschic said 🔗
emoji
Yea there’s no way in hell u don’t see him and not think of Steve urkel

He had a great run as voicing Sonic tho
+7   

4 weeks ago '18        #23
Dehone 
Props total: 109255 109 K  Slaps total: 7258 7 K
This guy embraced it

+65   

4 weeks ago '18        #24
Mcbooger 
Props total: 9744 9 K  Slaps total: 3470 3 K
Damn, this guy has been on camera in front of live audiences for a looooong time.
+10   

4 weeks ago '22        #25
92bricks9shots  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 12948 12 K  Slaps total: 2466 2 K
 aquisite04 said 🔗

Actually his role on Fresh Prince wasn’t shucking and jiving to be real
+20   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+1718
Chris Brown Took Your PAWG Dawgg?
95 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+169
Video inside The real reason “Moesha” was cancelled..
62 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Jun 17 - California becomes first state to give illegal immigrants free..
115 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
props+665
Video inside "Ya'll Niccas In ATL Are Being Taken By Storm By These New Things Calle..
207 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop