online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

MiniLED Is King: Sony Dropping OLED For Its 2024 Flagships In Favor Of MiniLED

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tech

1 month ago '07        #1
941 page views
23 comments

Jago  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 17076 17 K  Slaps total: 2251 2 K
icon MiniLED Is King: Sony Dropping OLED For Its 2024 Flagships In Favor Of MiniLED

Sony revealed its 2024 TV lineup earlier this week and the announcements included four new models. The Sony Bravia 9 is the flagship TV for 2024, but, in a reversal of course for the companyís flagship models, it will use mini-LED technology, not OLED.

Sonyís mid-range OLED, the Sony A80L, was one of the best TVs released last year. Its flagship QD-OLED, the Sony A95L, was also extremely popular, and when we saw it, we were blown away. The best OLED TVs provide near-perfect black levels and contrast and Sony has been a consistent user of the display tech since its early days.

So, why has Sony opted for mini-LED for its 2024 flagship model? Itís by no means the first time the company has sold mini-LED TVs - last yearís Sony X95L was a fantastic set that we rated five stars - but the tech has never been used for Sony's flagship TV before. Why the change?

Itís worth noting that the Sony A95L was released outside Sonyís usual summer window last year, finally shipping in October and September in the US and UK. As such, it carries over as Sonyís top OLED model for 2024. But with the Bravia 9 mini-LED model, and the simultaneous introduction of the Bravia 7, another, more entry-level, mini-LED, Sony seems to be doubling down on the technology - hereís why.

The movie industry

At the end of 2023, Sony released its latest professional mastering monitor, the BVM-HX3110, which is seeing increased usage within the movie industry. It served as a follow-up to Sonyís HX310 monitor, which peaked at 1,000 nits brightness, a level most movies are mastered at.

The HX3110, in contrast, has a peak brightness of 4,000 nits. Sony is starting to master more movies at this higher brightness level and believes the industry will follow. For context, it points to movies such as The Great Gatsby, In the Heart of the Sea and Angry Birds, all of which had been mastered at 4,000 nits before the introduction of the HX3110. A Sony demo at CES 2018 also showed Gran Turismo 7, mastered at 10,000 nits, on its prototype 8K TV with a peak brightness of 4,000 nits.

With movies now being mastered at a higher brightness level, Sony believes youíll need a brighter screen at home to handle it. New OLED TVs are brighter than ever, with models such as the LG G3 hitting a peak brightness of nearly 1,500 nits, and although we expect new OLED models to get even brighter, they donít quite hit the same level as mini-LED.

Weíre now seeing peak brightness levels of over 2,000 nits on mini-LED TVs such as the new Samsung QN90D. Also, TCL announced TVs with over 5,000 nits brightness, and Hisenseís forthcoming 110-inch TV is claimed to hit over 10,000 nits.

Sonyís new mini-LED tech

Sonyís flagship TV for 2024, the Bravia 9, features a new type of mini-LED backlight design with much smaller LED drivers than had been used before. According to Sony, these new 22-bit drivers enable higher brightness, bolder colors, and ĎOLED-levelí blacks. Since each driver is smaller than a grain of rice, a higher number can be arrayed in the backlight, allowing for more dimming zones and greater lighting control.

The Bravia 9 is said to be 50% brighter and has three times the dimming zones of the Sony X95L, its flagship mini-LED TV from 2023, while using 20% less energy Sony also says the backlight technology used in the Bravia 9 is similar to the one in the HX3110 mastering monitor, and that makes the Bravia 9 the best companion to show any movies mastered on the HX3110.

Interestingly, Sony hasnít released any brightness specifications for the Bravia 9. If this is the ideal set to show movies mastered on the HX3110, you would naturally assume it will hit 4,000 nits but when TechRadar asked Sony about that at CES 2024, a company rep said it was unlikely. Weíll have to wait until we can test the Bravia 9 to determine its actual peak brightness.

XR Backlight Master Drive

Itís not just new LED drivers that Sony has implemented in its mini-LED TV backlight, but also its XR processor. Sony has called the feature XR Backlight Master Drive, and the XR processor manages backlight dimming differently.

Once the TV has received an input signal, the XR Processor begins its work by separating the TVís LCD panel and backlight data. After this, the LED drivers tell the mini-LEDs what to do. There is greater control over the lighting here than with a standard LED backlight (and even with current mini-LED tech) and it results in a picture with greater contrast and more powerful brightness with less backlight blooming.

Final thoughts

We've already seen Sonyís latest mini-LED tech in the Bravia 9 in action, and we think OLED TVs should be worried. Thanks to the combination of the XR processor and new LED drivers, the Bravia 9 could be a real winner, and, as Sony says, ideal for displaying movies mastered with the HX3110 monitor.

By carrying over the Sony A95L from last year, Sony has made it clear itís not abandoning OLED, although mini-LED tech certainly seems to be the company's priority for the future. Whether its new tech will beat OLED and QD-OLED remains to be seen, but 2024 is going to be an interesting year for TVs.
 Sony dropped OLED for its flagship 2024 TV Ė here's why | TechRadar
+6   

icon
best
icon
worst
23 comments

1 month ago '18        #2
Most Palone  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 60418 60 K  Slaps total: 3968 3 K
Dumb move imo

Oled can’t be beat in the clarity and black level department

And now with new tech they can get as bright as led with MLA and quantum dots

Feels like a step backwards
+4   

1 month ago '06        #3
poppapimple 
Props total: 2018 2 K  Slaps total: 114 114
hopefully oled prices will drop because of this
+5   

1 month ago '09        #4
ahmadou1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 117475 117 K  Slaps total: 7981 7 K
 Most Palone said 🔗
Dumb move imo

Oled canít be beat in the clarity and black level department

Big Facts.. my LG Cx been going strong for 4 years now
emoji
+5   

1 month ago '11        #5
Blinx 182 
Props total: 18295 18 K  Slaps total: 4353 4 K
 Most Palone said 🔗
Dumb move imo

OLED is not the best choice if you're advertising brightness, because OLED screens are susceptible to shorter lifespans and permanent image retention (burn-in). And keep in mind the Bravia 9 goes up to 4,000 nits.

🔗

From the impressions this doesn't have inferior contrast to an OLED.
+1   

1 month ago '07        #6
Jago  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23 OP
 Most Palone said 🔗
Dumb move imo

ahmadou1 said 🔗
emoji
Not true at all. OLED only noticeably beats MiniLED in response time and viewing angle. Most other areas, such as black levels, are comparable. MiniLED absolutely washes OLED in HDR content. Peak brightness of MiniLED is much higher than OLED. This is important since most people favor brighter pictures.

1 month ago '15        #7
Dstew419  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 2416 2 K  Slaps total: 456 456
Either the 85” Bravia 9 or 83” LG G4 replacing my 77” G3

I use it mainly for TV and movies, not a big gamer…

I’ll wait till the reviews get published and then after Black Friday it’s on!!

1 month ago '06        #8
homme  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 3603 3 K  Slaps total: 250 250
doubt it. they just refreshed their flagship OLED at the end of 2023. Bravia 8 is an OLED and successor to the A80L. I'd expect the Bravia X/10 announcement towards the end of the year

1 month ago '18        #9
 Blinx 182 said 🔗
OLED is not the best choice if you're advertising brightness, because OLED screens are susceptible to shorter lifespans and permanent image retention (burn-in). And keep in mind the Bravia 9 goes up to 4,000 nits.

↪🔗

From the impressions this doesn't have inferior contrast to an OLED.
Bruh for a regular person who just wants a moderately bright tv 1500 nits is good enough

Now for enthusiasts yeah that 4000 nits is another level but the pros outweigh the cons with Oled

Imo
+1   

1 month ago '18        #10
 Jago said 🔗
Not true at all. OLED only noticeably beats MiniLED in response time and viewing angle. Most other areas, such as black levels, are comparable. MiniLED absolutely washes OLED in HDR content. Peak brightness of MiniLED is much higher than OLED. This is important since most people favor brighter pictures.
Oled washed miniled in pixels responsiveness, black levels will always be king on Oled, color accuracy, clarity and specular highlights

Also Oled tv design look better that those chunky led TVs

1 month ago '11        #11
Blinx 182 
Props total: 18295 18 K  Slaps total: 4353 4 K
 Most Palone said 🔗
Bruh for a regular person who just wants a moderately bright tv 1500 nits is good enough

Now for enthusiasts yeah that 4000 nits is another level but the pros outweigh the cons with Oled

Imo
Regular folks probably donít have three racks and change to blow on a Bravia 9 tho. Hell they will be happy picking up a 2021 C1 at a discount.

The only con I could think of is the inferior black levels from MiniLED, and by all hands on accounts people couldnít tell the difference between the 9 and an OLED because they havenít seen any blooming during dark scenes. If Sony managed to pull it off then itís nothing short of an engineering marvel and it makes sense to ditch OLED for the high-end flagships.

I still have my A90K and I have no plans to upgrade any time soon.

1 month ago '15        #12
wapeddell 
Props total: 3420 3 K  Slaps total: 420 420
Wait for Micro LED.

↪🔗
+1   

1 month ago '07        #13
Jago  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23 OP
 Most Palone said 🔗
Oled washed miniled in pixels responsiveness, black levels will always be king on Oled, color accuracy, clarity and specular highlights

Also Oled tv design look better that those chunky led TVs
Did you read what you quoted? I literally said OLED has better response time.
emoji

OLED also does not beat MiniLED in color accuracy. Most grading monitors are MiniLED. If Flanders Scientific and Sony are using MiniLED for their high-end grading monitors, color accuracy is obviously an excellent trait for the tech.

OLED on its best day couldn't create "spectacular highlights" on the level of MiniLED. This is simply because OLED brightness is leagues lower than MiniLED brightness. HDR content looks dull on OLED when compared to MiniLED. That's on top of OLED TVs dimming over time because of the organic material used in them.

I'm also not sure what you're on about with claims of MiniLED being "chunky."

That's one of Samsung's MiniLED sets. If you think that is "chunky," I'd like to see what you consider thin.

1 month ago '22        #14
Bzp 
Props total: 12095 12 K  Slaps total: 1666 1 K
Everyone in here seems to know there sh1t, what should I buy for my ps5. Time for an upgrade
+2   

1 month ago '10        #15
JWebb 
Props total: 2215 2 K  Slaps total: 314 314
 Bzp said 🔗
Everyone in here seems to know there sh1t, what should I buy for my ps5. Time for an upgrade
My go to site for reviews
↪🔗

I have the LG CX for my PS5. It has an amazing picture. If I was upgrading, I would get the newer LG C3. Also, it does VRR and has the HDMI 2.1 ports needed to max the PS5 outputs.
+2   

1 month ago '05        #16
bqstudios  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 37399 37 K  Slaps total: 4904 4 K
 Bzp said 🔗
TCL - 65" Cla$s QM8 Q-Cla$s Mini-LED QLED 4K HDR Smart TV with Google TV
$1,199.99

↪🔗

your welcome.
+2   

1 month ago '23        #17
D3STR0 
Props total: 1797 1 K  Slaps total: 284 284
I hate Sony TV’s

1 month ago '23        #18
LowCountrySC 
Props total: 5998 5 K  Slaps total: 2012 2 K
bad move catering to the idiot consumers who want brightness over details instead of making the best panel.

1 month ago '16        #19
lars  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 49752 49 K  Slaps total: 3997 3 K
 Most Palone said 🔗
Dumb move imo

Im sticking with oled and hdr the black levels with those hdr highlights can't be beaten. Makes simple youtube videos look like high production documentaries. Even got an OLED on my dell xps im good.

4 weeks ago '04        #20
Javon23  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x30
Props total: 95976 95 K  Slaps total: 18271 18 K
My $4,500 85 inch Samsung Q90T (2020) is still going strong
Currently watching American Greed on my LG A1 OLED 65 inch (2021)
Unless my bedroom tv craps out, No more premium tvs anytime soon for me.
Will be copping one for my kitchen and exercise room in due time.
Team Brightness
+1   

4 weeks ago '09        #21
Tiko377  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 22353 22 K  Slaps total: 2924 2 K
Sony TVs are amazing.

4 weeks ago '11        #22
Slingy 
Props total: 14675 14 K  Slaps total: 3803 3 K
I love my Sony x90j. Use it as a PC monitor to game and or watch/stream sports on discord.

1 week ago '13        #23
ma chis mo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 11474 11 K  Slaps total: 761 761
 ahmadou1 said 🔗
emoji
Same here. Been trying to convince myself to upgrade but I donít see a huge difference when I see other tvs in person. I do want something bigger than 77 inches though.
+1   

1 week ago '09        #24
ahmadou1  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 117475 117 K  Slaps total: 7981 7 K
 ma chis mo said 🔗
Same here. Been trying to convince myself to upgrade but I donít see a huge difference when I see other tvs in person. I do want something bigger than 77 inches though.
Same.
I moved and got hella extra wall space now..

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props-2042
0nlyfans pr0n thot Lissa Aires got a n*gga on his knees buck-breaking
117 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props+3136
Day #1 in Japan