online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Apr 18 - Ex-Toronto cop fired for exposing workplace s3xual harassment & racism

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '11        #1
2500 page views
42 comments

T-800  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 34098 34 K  Slaps total: 2230 2 K
Apr 18 - Ex-Toronto cop fired for exposing workplace s3xual harassment & racism

Toronto police Const. Firouzeh “Effy” Zarabi-Majd, seen here in a file photo.

Freelance
Wendy-Gillis

Ex-Toronto cop loses appeal of firing over ‘libellous’ tweets about workplace s3xual harassment, racism

Ex-cop Firouzeh Zarabi-Majd was behind the “Dirty Shades of Blue” Twitter account, which tweeted offensive texts other officers made in private group chats and made “libellous” comments about senior officers.

Updated April 15, 2024 at 7:15 p.m.
April 15, 2024
3 min read

By Wendy GillisCrime Reporter

An Ontario police watchdog has upheld the firing of a female Toronto police officer who was terminated after launching a “libellous” online campaign about workplace s3xual harassment and racism inside the service — a decision the ex-officer maintains she’ll fight.

In a written ruling, the Ontario Civilian Police Commission (OCPC) tossed ex-cop Firouzeh Zarabi-Majd’s appeal of her rare firing, upholding the decision to terminate her for “reprehensible” comments made on social media and dismissing concerns it could have a chilling effect on whistle-blowing within policing.

“We are satisfied, in the circumstances of this case, the findings of misconduct were necessary to protect public confidence in policing,” a panel of three OCPC adjudicators wrote in their April 4 decision.

Zarabi-Majd’s case attracted controversy after she began speaking out about s3xual harassment and racism she said she experienced in a decade on the job. She was eventually fired, in part for her dispatches from “Dirty Shades of Blue,” her account on X, formerly Twitter. There, she posted racist group text messages from her colleagues and name-called politicians and police leaders she alleged were complicit in workplace s3xual harassment — messages the tribunal called “libellous,” “harmful” and “vulgar.”

The ex-officer has maintained her tweets were the last resort of a whistle-blowing cop on leave from a toxic workplace.

“This isn’t over,” Zarabi-Majd told the Star in an interview Monday. “It’s not over until the truth is fully exposed and the system is changed.”

The case has played out against the backdrop of rising concerns over s3xual harassment within Toronto police and the profession more broadly. In 2022, a workplace culture review by consulting firm Deloitte found “a clear perception” that harassment and discrimination, including unwanted s3xual advances, regularly occur within Toronto police. In 2020, Ontario’s Human Rights Tribunal found a female constable was s3xually harassed for years by her supervisors.

A Toronto police spokesperson declined to comment on the case Monday. A spokesperson for the Toronto police board said it could not comment due to ongoing legal proceedings.

Zarabi-Majd says she intends to file a judicial review of the OCPC decision while her other cases are progressing, including a complaint to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal and a separate claim alleging she has not been fairly represented by her union, the Toronto Police Association.

Jon Reid, president of the police union, said in a statement Monday that the union was reviewing the OCPC decision and noted the TPA “has provided support to Cst. Zarabi-Majd during the employer’s discipline process, including in her appeal.”

Zarabi-Majd was fired in May 2023, five years after she filed a complaint to the Ontario Human Rights Tribunal alleging she endured demeaning, s3xist, racist and Islamophobic comments and s3xual harassment on the force. In 2019, while on leave from work, she started her “Dirty Shades of Blue” account, through which she posted screen-grabs of racist and s3xist comments in private cop group text chats, including one in which a colleague inquired about Zarabi-Majd’s pubic hair.

In another group text, two platoon members were discussing a station tour being given to kids from a racialized neighbourhood, saying: “Just stop at the cells …. And let them know most won’t make it past there?”

Zarabi-Majd also launched a “protracted Twitter attack,” levelling “slanderous accusations of patriarchy, discrimination, racism and homophobia” at senior officers she accused of being complicit to s3xual harassment, according to the hearing officer who fired Zarabi-Majd after finding her guilty of eight counts of professional misconduct.

The tweets were on course to “destroy the reputation of the TPS,” the tribunal officer wrote, adding her conduct was “reflective of someone who did not care what she said, how she said it, or who she hurt.”

The tribunal decision admonished Zarabi-Majd for failing to go through the proper channels, including refusing to participate when the force launched an investigation into the alleged misconduct in the officer group chat (Zarabi-Majd said she previously complained through the proper channels although she had been told reporting misconduct was career su1cide).

In their decision, the OCPC panel found the conduct in the group chat was “disturbing” but was not the issue at hand. Regardless of the environment within Toronto police, the panel concluded it was reasonable for the hearing officer who fired Zarabi-Majd to find that her “protracted, offensive, often abusive social media campaign was an inappropriate recourse.”

The appeal body also pushed back on the idea dismissal was too harsh, since Zarabi-Majd did not commit a criminal act or endanger anyone; the OCPC said that was not required for termination.

It was reasonable for the hearing officer to conclude that “the behaviour was so egregious (Zarabi-Majd’s) usefulness as a police officer was spent.”

In her appeal, Zarabi-Majd argued the decision sends “a powerful message that there is no room for criticism of the functioning of the police service and those in positions of power.”

The panel disagreed, finding that Ontario’s policing legislation and Toronto police code of conduct already “set out limits to how officers can express themselves.”

Zarabi-Majd told the Star that she has since heard from other female officers who are now second-guessing their next moves. She maintains that speaking out online was the right thing to do. “These are times that we need to start standing up to change the system through whatever it takes,” she said Monday.

“I don’t want this decision to affect other women, other victims behind me,” she said.

Wendy Gillis
Wendy Gillis is a Toronto-based reporter covering crime and policing for the Star. Reach her by email at wgillis@thestar.ca or follow her on Twitter: @wendygillis.

https://www.thestar.com/n .. fb5d5d95c.html

TL;DR : THEY DIDN'T EVEN SAY WHAT SHE SHARED WAS FALSE, JUST THAT IT MAKES THE PIGS LOOK BAD AND IT WASNT THE APPROPRIATE WAY TO COMPLAIN...THAT'S WHY THEY FIRED HER...

https://www.thestar.com/n .. fb5d5d95c.html

Last edited by T-800; 04-18-2024 at 05:00 AM..
+24   

icon
best
icon
worst
42 comments

1 month ago '11        #2
T-800  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7 OP

+64   

1 month ago '16        #3
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x24
Props total: 100124 100 K  Slaps total: 8985 8 K
Once again, pigs show that they do not understand the law. It isn't libel if it's true.
+31   

1 month ago '11        #4
A lot of these white cops, they not even from Toronto, they come from some small town conservative stronghold, they just wanna come to Toronto and fu#k up black and brown and yellow people's lives, fu#king hicks

Some of these young white female cops are bi#ches too

I remember seeing a young blonde female cop pour this harmless old drunk guy's beer all over his pants

Man was short, skinny, early 50s tops, drunk just sitting on a bench, harmless...this happened in Regent Park, Toronto

I remember I asked my lawyer Lindsay Daviau about it and she was visibly upset and said that was assault. Ms. Daviau used to be a crown (Canadian prosecutor) before she became a defense lawyer...

Last edited by T-800; 04-18-2024 at 06:07 AM..
+34   

1 month ago '11        #5
 00010111 said 🔗
Once again, pigs show that they do not understand the law. It isn't libel if it's true.
These pigs are so fu#king stupid...you'd think the good publicity of having a female middle eastern Muslim cop would put the onus on them to defend her and help her but no, let's protect Cletus and Jeb
+11   

1 month ago '11        #6
Now we all know the hood got drugs
But the burbs do too, so go there and draw blood
If you ask me, it's a big joke
I live near the rich folks and they got all the big coke
And hardly none of them is negroes but we the ones locked up in the big holes

🔗

+7   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '14        #7
strungout  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 208530 208 K  Slaps total: 48602 48 K
emoji

1 month ago '17        #8
Nosbig 
Props total: 9878 9 K  Slaps total: 1658 1 K
 T-800 said 🔗
A lot of these white cops, they not even from Toronto, they come from some small town conservative stronghold, they just wanna come to Toronto and fu#k up black and brown and yellow people's lives, fu#king hicks

Some of these young white female cops are bi#ches too

I remember seeing a young blonde female cop pour this harmless old drunk guy's beer all over his pants

Man was short, skinny, early 50s tops, drunk just sitting on a bench, harmless...this happened in Regent Park, Toronto

I remember I asked my lawyer Lindsay Daviau about it and she was visibly upset and said that was assault. Ms. Daviau used to be a crown (Canadian prosecutor) before she became a defense lawyer...

Naw Lindsay Daviau never thought I'd see that name on boxden of all places
+8   

1 month ago '24        #9
50 Dollars 
Props total: 1484 1 K  Slaps total: 44 44
Cops hire the most temperamental, mentally ill folks out there... not surprised about these allegations one bit

Plus I'd like to get that ex cops # for further questions and details

+6   

1 month ago '17        #10
Its 
Props total: 70212 70 K  Slaps total: 5809 5 K
It'll keep on happening till we do something about it
+5   

Top 10 most slapped recently  1 month ago '22        #11
BreakkerSzn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x110
Props total: 196286 196 K  Slaps total: 232333 232 K

1 month ago '16        #12
leroi 
Props total: 283 283  Slaps total: 52 52
Canada has a biggg white supremacy machine. They just hide it by being “nice” until they found ma$s graves and slave sites. & They pu$$y 2 wishing to be American
+7   

1 month ago '21        #13
loveeveryday  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 45875 45 K  Slaps total: 15589 15 K
Truth be told almost all companies will get rid of you if you start exposing the truth

I was in a situation that I could have exposed my college for something that would become a national story however after some long talks with my family and warnings from school official’s I decided to keep it to myself and get my degree

It’s a situation many people face in everyday life I understand having the fire in your soul to want to expose the truth however you can be risking it all and your life
+3   

1 month ago '18        #14
dakidjahsiah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 43197 43 K  Slaps total: 4642 4 K
the thin blue line
+3   

1 month ago '18        #15
monstar 
Props total: 2743 2 K  Slaps total: 366 366
Police officers are protected by the unions
Which are protected by politicians

There’s no desire to change the status quo unfortunately

Trying to expose stuff like this just puts a bigger target on your back and shows you’re not a “team player”

It sucks but it is what it is

emoji
+4   

1 month ago '22        #16
DiamondsNPipes 
Props total: 5615 5 K  Slaps total: 1093 1 K
 00010111 said 🔗
Once again. Another person that does not understand that they could care less about the truth.

1 month ago '17        #17
lil boosie vert 
Props total: 6431 6 K  Slaps total: 818 818
our entire justice system is a joke and one of the main reasons im thinking of leaving

the amount of corrupt cops and cover ups is crazy threes a dude on reddit who always posts the list but its like 50 things in the last couple years - and they never get fired, always suspended with pay

on top of that our prime minister has decided that even though we need more judges ASAP that well only hire minorities ( which barley exist apparently ) and sh1t so we now have literal r@pe and s3x trafficking's cases being thrown out due to lack of judges
+4   

1 month ago '17        #18
lil boosie vert 
Props total: 6431 6 K  Slaps total: 818 818
 leroi said 🔗
Canada has a biggg white supremacy machine. They just hide it by being ďniceĒ until they found ma$s graves and slave sites. & They pu$$y 2 wishing to be American
lol you think the states is any diff
+3   

1 month ago '16        #19
leroi 
Props total: 283 283  Slaps total: 52 52
 lil boosie vert said 🔗
lol you think the states is any diff
Yes! At least itís being documented. In Canada itís swept under the rug

1 month ago '15        #20
kami  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 68544 68 K  Slaps total: 27494 27 K
Same thing would have happened if she had a government job. She lost her job for no reason man women can be self-destructive.
+1   

1 month ago '17        #21
R Shackleford 
Props total: 21848 21 K  Slaps total: 1491 1 K
Criminals don't like snitches
+7   

1 month ago '18        #22
Pastor Ra  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x58
Props total: 106546 106 K  Slaps total: 17919 17 K
The most toxic workplaces try to hire those who won't disrupt what they got going on. The fact that she was able to slip through and expose their sh1t is impressive to me
+4   

1 month ago '11        #23
 Nosbig said 🔗
Naw Lindsay Daviau never thought I'd see that name on boxden of all places
sh1t I just Googled her...she returned to working as a crown attorney in 2022 and then became a Brampton judge...moving up in life...

↪🔗
+3   

1 month ago '11        #24
 50 Dollars said 🔗
Cops hire the most temperamental, mentally ill folks out there... not surprised about these allegations one bit

Plus I'd like to get that ex cops # for further questions and details

Lol yeah I wouldn't mind interviewing her over some coffee
+1   

1 month ago '17        #25
Here4theday 
Props total: 20411 20 K  Slaps total: 2581 2 K
Where the texts at
+2   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+8255
logo Negro League statistics will be integrated into the MLB database beginning..
62 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+5644
Video inside The Breakfast Club Just Asked T.I. About A Rapper Gettin Pissed On.
87 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+16142
Video inside This is really why Red Lobster flatlined
113 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props-1727
logo Does anyone see how the NBA has been moving away from sport and towards en..
70 comments
20 hours ago
@sports