online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Apr 11 - 3 castaways rescued after writing ‘Help’ with palm leaves

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

1 month ago '05        #1
1451 page views
26 comments

bobbysteels18  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x65
Props total: 24047 24 K  Slaps total: 4568 4 K
Apr 11 - 3 castaways rescued after writing ‘Help’ with palm leaves

Pacific castaways’ ‘HELP’ sign sparks US rescue mission – and an unexpected family reunion

A US Navy and Coast Guard operation on Tuesday rescued three mariners stranded on a tiny Pacific Ocean islet for more than a week after the trio spelled out “HELP” using palm fronds laid on a white-sand beach.

The mission also unexpectedly turned into a family reunion.

The three men had been planning to fish the waters around the Pikelot Atoll, part of Micronesia, on March 31 when their 20-foot open skiff was caught by swells and its outboard motor was damaged, according to US Coast Guard officials.

They scrambled ashore on uninhabited Pikelot, but their radio ran out of battery power before they could call for help.

So the castaways gathered palm fronds from the 31-acre island, arranged them to spell out “HELP” on the beach, and waited, according to a Coast Guard statement.

The names of the stranded men have not been released by the Coast Guard, and CNN attempts to contact their relatives have not gotten replies.

For a week, the men lived off coconut meat, but they did have fresh water from a small well on the island, which is sometimes visited by fishers in the region, Coast Guard officials said.

The search for the men began on April 6, when one of their relatives called rescue officials in the US Pacific territory of Guam, saying they had not returned to Polowat Atoll, an island more than 100 miles away, where the three started their voyage on Easter Sunday.

It is difficult to overstate just how remote Piklelot is. The island is part of the Federated States of Micronesia, a Pacific nation between the Philippines and Hawaii that is made up of more than 600 islands scattered across about 2.5 million square kilometers of ocean.

The Coast Guard said a US Navy P-8A reconnaissance jet dispatched from Kadena Air Base on Okinawa, Japan, spotted the palm-frond “HELP” sign on the beach on April 7.

Lt. Chelsea Garcia, the search-and-rescue mission coordinator on the day the trio was located, said the sign was “crucial” to finding them in a search area that covered more than 103,000 square miles.

“This act of ingenuity was pivotal in guiding rescue efforts directly to their location,” Garcia said in a statement.

The Navy jet dropped survival packs to the three men and relayed their location to the rescue center.

A day later, a Coast Guard HC-130 flying from Air Station Barbers Point in Hawaii dropped a radio to the men, who were able to tell the crew they were in good shape and eager for help to get back to Polowat.

When the Coast Guard cutter Oliver Henry reached Pikelot on April 9, the story took another twist.

One of the first rescuers on the beach was Petty Officer 2nd Cla$s Eugene Halishlius. The stranded men were surprised to see that Halishlius was Micronesian and spoke the local language.

I could see on their faces, ‘Whoa! Who’s this guy pulling up that can speak our language?’” Halishlius told CNN in an interview from the Oliver Henry, which was at sea on Thursday after dropping the men off at Polowat.

When he gave his name to the first of the stranded men to reach the rescue boat, the castaway was stunned: they were related.

“It’s a crazy world, I actually found out I’m related to them!” Halishlius said.

“He couldn’t believe I’m with the Coast Guard trying to rescue them.”

The man was a third cousin, the others fourth cousins, he said.

Amazingly, this was not the first rescue of castaways from Pikelot.

In 2020, three other men traveling between two Micronesian atolls found themselves washed up there after their boat ran out of fuel during their voyage.

Those three spelled out “SOS” on the beach, a message that was spotted by the crew of a US Air Force tanker operating out of Andersen Air Force Base on Guam, which then directed Coast Guard, Micronesian and Australian naval units to get the men from the island.

How does this happen on the same island twice in four years?

“It could be coincidence,” said Chief Warrant Officer Sara Muir, public affairs officer for US Coast Guard Forces Micronesia.

“The people of Micronesia frequently travel island to island, and do so with a great deal of ski1l and experience,” she said.

But occasionally, accidents happen. And so do unexpected family reunions.

https://news.yahoo.com/pa .. 054332919.html
+25   

icon
best
icon
worst
26 comments

1 month ago '06        #2
nightmare  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 20942 20 K  Slaps total: 804 804
emoji
so thats a real thing
+22   

1 month ago '11        #3
Suppafresh 
Props total: 14541 14 K  Slaps total: 2051 2 K
Dope sh1t man!! Glad they got back safe and sound.
+21   

1 month ago '20        #4
gogosunday  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 56802 56 K  Slaps total: 4236 4 K
emoji
+6   

1 month ago '04        #5
lilguru84 
Props total: 440 440  Slaps total: 205 205
 Suppafresh said 🔗
I meant to prop sorry
+5   

1 month ago '24        #6
Who you 
Props total: 687 687  Slaps total: 435 435
Glad they made it back! Props to all involved.
+5   

1 month ago '18        #7
antisocial100 
Props total: 29140 29 K  Slaps total: 7438 7 K
Man that’s the thing about goin to those remote spots , I still wanna do that sh1t tho, go to a remote island In the middle of nowhere just to see how it is.

What ya think about building a White House size villa over there and just livin out in a remote island for at least half the year
+2   

1 month ago '18        #8
BrooklynDamien  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 147585 147 K  Slaps total: 8348 8 K
Them mfers were living. Fresh coconut meat and Micronesian well water, no nagging wife. Watch one of them try to get stranded again
+26   

1 month ago '15        #9
TheTrollPole 
Props total: 12832 12 K  Slaps total: 1394 1 K
 Suppafresh said 🔗
Word, glad it worked out for the best, now they got a dope a$s story to tell
+1   

1 month ago '17        #10
Panem  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 4933 4 K  Slaps total: 1044 1 K
 BrooklynDamien said 🔗
Them mfers were living. Fresh coconut meat and Micronesian well water, no nagging wife. Watch one of them try to get stranded again
Some native pumpum and I might become a passport bro
+13   

1 month ago '06        #11
realgunta  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 140525 140 K  Slaps total: 5952 5 K
 Panem said 🔗
Some native pumpum and I might become a passport bro
emoji
+4   

1 month ago '04        #12
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 133502 133 K  Slaps total: 8670 8 K
 BrooklynDamien said 🔗
Bruh
+3   

1 month ago '16        #13
fullcircle  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 20262 20 K  Slaps total: 2792 2 K
I'd fu#k around and eat a poisonous berry or some sh1t and not even make it
+11   

1 month ago '22        #14
Leroy N Skillet 
Props total: 10026 10 K  Slaps total: 2526 2 K
🔗

+4   

1 month ago '16        #15
lars  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 49468 49 K  Slaps total: 3984 3 K
Wow good ending to the story. Even though the island is used occasionally by fisherman who knew when they would have shown up. Having no shelter and not knowing who to catch and cook your own food is brutal over a couple days.

1 month ago '14        #16
longliverick  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 26139 26 K  Slaps total: 13134 13 K
 antisocial100 said 🔗
Man that’s the thing about goin to those remote spots , I still wanna do that sh1t tho, go to a remote island In the middle of nowhere just to see how it is.

What ya think about building a White House size villa over there and just livin out in a remote island for at least half the year

You know that Cannibalism still exists, right?

1 month ago '18        #17
antisocial100 
 longliverick said 🔗
You know that Cannibalism still exists, right?
You know guns exist ?
+2   

1 month ago '05        #18
suppanigga510 
Props total: 2912 2 K  Slaps total: 193 193
 antisocial100 said 🔗

Pirates and squatters will ruin your dreams. I have family with islands in central america.
Try renting a private island house in central America and see how iAmerica. I want it too, but I know I can't live there permanently. Looking for something on an island but more commercialized.

1 month ago '18        #19
antisocial100 
 suppan1gga510 said 🔗
Pirates and squatters will ruin your dreams. I have family with islands in central america.
Try renting a private island house in central America and see how iAmerica. I want it too, but I know I can't live there permanently. Looking for something on an island but more commercialized.
Some sh1t like that , if you can afford an isl d then you’d have to hire a whole bunch of security. I heard them pirates be with it , but if you got heavy artillery then I’m guessing you can outlast them . Another thing is all these hurricanes, tsunamis or whatever

1 month ago '04        #20
marcchrome  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 62922 62 K  Slaps total: 9072 9 K
Praise god…….
+2   

1 month ago '18        #21
queenmadonna  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2313 2 K  Slaps total: 1627 1 K
🔗

+2   

1 month ago '15        #22
Hellmatic 
Props total: 98896 98 K  Slaps total: 8535 8 K
 nightmare said 🔗
emoji
so thats a real thing
I was thinking the same thing no lie
emoji
+1   

1 month ago '04        #23
Skilllz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 44080 44 K  Slaps total: 4067 4 K
Wild af

smart dudes. The bein related to buddies is wild. too..

good to see fate work in the right way

"I'm on a island like Giligan"

1 month ago '23        #24
LowCountrySC 
Props total: 5979 5 K  Slaps total: 2006 2 K
just want to point out these types of missions are under our military budget.

USA!!!
+1   

1 month ago '19        #25
Datboy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 2773 2 K  Slaps total: 255 255
 Leroy N Ski1let said 🔗
↪🔗
Classic
+1   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
logo 2024 Western Conference Finals: (3) Minnesota Timberwolves vs (5) Dallas M..
1365 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+9317
Video inside I see why men stopped going to the club
167 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
AI got Mike Tyson speaking Italian...
20 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
props-445
Article inside New Music: YG - WEIRD (Drake Diss)
169 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop