Jun 29 - Mexican stamp called offensive to blacks

most viewed right now
Sep 29 - Average Cable TV Bill Now Over $100/Month; “Every Year is a New Recor..
180 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 Cents Ex Jumpoff Booty Is On Point
25 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Sep 29 - The List of Clinton Associates Who’ve Died Mysteriously.
153 comments
@misc
most viewed right now
NBA KD & Klay - Shoot till you miss
79 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11 years ago '04        #1
8450 pageviews
157 comments

EmOnEyBaGz175 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,002 | Props total: 0 0
Jun 29 - Mexican stamp called offensive to blacks

[pic - click to view]

http://www.cnn.com/2005/W .. xico.stamp.ap/
MEXICO CITY, Mexico (AP) -- The Mexican government has issued a postage stamp depicting an exaggerated black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin, just weeks after remarks by President Vicente Fox angered U.S. blacks.

The series of five stamps released for general use Wednesday depicts a child character from a comic book started in the 1940s that is still published in Mexico.

The boy, hapless but lovable, is drawn with exaggerated features, thick lips and wide-open eyes. His appearance, speech and mannerisms are the subject of kidding by white characters in the comic book.

Activists said the stamp was offensive, though officials denied it.

"One would hope the Mexican government would be a little more careful and avoid continually opening wounds," said Sergio Penalosa, an activist in Mexico's small black community on the southern Pacific coast.

"But we've learned to expect anything from this government, just anything," Penalosa said. In May, Fox riled many by saying that Mexican migrants take jobs in the United States that "not even blacks" want.

Fox expressed regret for any offense the remarks may have caused, but insisted his comments had been misinterpreted.

Carlos Caballero, a.ssistant marketing director for the Mexican Postal Service, said the stamps are not offensive, nor were they intended to be.

"This is a traditional character that reflects part of Mexico's culture," Caballero said. "His mischievous nature is part of that character."

However, Penalosa said many Mexicans still a.ssume all blacks are foreigners, despite the fact that at one point early in the Spanish colonial era, Africans outnumbered Spanish in Mexico.

"At this point in time, it was probably pretty insensitive" to issue the stamp, said Elisa Velazquez, an anthropologist who studies Mexico's black communities for the National Institute of Anthropology and History.

"This character is a classic, but it's from another era," Velazquez said. "It's a stereotype and you don't want to encourage ignorance or prejudices."

The 6.50-peso (60 cent) stamps -- depicting the character in five poses -- was issued with the domestic market in mind, but Caballero noted it could be used in international postage as well.

A total of 750,000 of the stamps will be issued.

Ben Vinson, a black professor of Latin American history at Penn State University, said he has been called "Memin Pinguin" by some people in Mexico. He also noted that the character's mother is drawn to look like an old version of the U.S. advertising character Aunt Jemima.

The stamps are part of a series that pays tribute to Mexican comic books. Memin Pinguin, the second in the series, was apparently chosen for this year's release because it is the 50th anniversary of the company that publishes the comic.

Publisher Manelick De la Parra told the government news agency Notimex that the character would be sort of a goodwill ambassador on Mexican letters and postcards. "It seems nice if Memin can travel all over the world, spreading good news," de la Parra said, calling him "so charming, so affectionate, so wonderful, generous and friendly."

[pic - click to view]

Black cartoon character known as Memin Pinguin appeared on the series of five Mexican postal stamps.

157 comments for "Jun 29 - Mexican stamp called offensive to blacks"

06-29-2005, 03:47 PM         #2
Doc Strange 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Haha Mexico is clowing blacks non stop lately.

I can't believe it.
 11 years ago '04        #3
EmOnEyBaGz175 1 heat pts
space
space
Their really on some racism sh*t...
 06-29-2005, 03:55 PM         #4
ADrake22 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

did these dumb fu*ks really think we wouldnt think this sh*t was racist??? Its '05 and stupid sh*t like this still happens.... ...
 11 years ago '04        #5
TeflonDon 
space
space
space
$2,122 | Props total: 18 18
who cares its mexico....or i call it gods blindspot...
 11 years ago '04        #6
Screwhead|m 186 heat pts186
space
space
$14,930 | Props total: 70 70
Mexico is really pushing it. First, Vicente Fox now this bullsh*t.

How the fu*k would they think that sh*t wasn't racist?!

"Aww, look at those cute monkeys on that stamp; how sweet."

Get the fu*k out of here.
 11 years ago '04        #7
Sk9 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,314 | Props total: 344 344
$6.50?? Gotdamn!!!! What tha hell are they mailing??
 11 years ago '04        #8
EmOnEyBaGz175 1 heat pts
space
space
 Sk9 said:
is mexican pesos...
 11 years ago '05        #9
SupremeG56 
space
space
space
$790 | Props total: 7 7
 TeflonDon said:

hahahahaha......by far da best reply in this thread props for dat
 11 years ago '04        #10
Blowpot 1 heat pts
space
space
$128 | Props total: 26 26
i bet they wont come too the hood with that B.S
 06-29-2005, 04:13 PM         #11
Doc Strange 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Haha. Mexico has far worse hoods than the U.S.

You don't see donkey shows in Brooklyn, do you?
 06-29-2005, 04:20 PM         #12
Cire215 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TeflonDon said:

Damn, lol, thas fu*ked up....
 11 years ago '04        #13
NahLij 12 heat pts12
space
space
$8,423 | Props total: 2308 2308
man, fu*k them Messcan[Mess Can] Papi Chulo Taco Bell Mida Mida muthafu*kaz.
my family(parents & up, all kids born in U.S.) is from Honduras and the people there know Messcans is some bi*ches. they racist fu*ks who think they better than people & sh*t. yeah if they so much better, why they leave where they from to come here? gate hoppin fu*kers.
 06-29-2005, 04:23 PM         #14
Fr3sH G 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
We Aint Sweating Mexico...That's Why We Beating They a.ss In Cali.They Scared Of Black Folks,sh*t They Turned Down Game When He Tryed To Go To Mexico For A Concert and He Had AK On Him and They Told Him To Send Back To L.A. If He Want To Come To Mexico and He Said fu*k'em.
 11 years ago '04        #15
Keystone 
space
space
$2,576 | Props total: 33 33
damn thats crazy

Last edited by Keystone; 06-29-2005 at 04:28 PM..
 06-29-2005, 04:31 PM         #16
Hooksword 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sk9 said:
Mexicans
 11 years ago '04        #17
DEALZNI 
space
space
space
$175 | Props total: 0 0
Cant U See That sh*t Or Are U Blind? Is It Just Me Or Is This One Problem Just A Part Of My Other 999?? A White Mans Plot To Succesfuly Tak Eover The World, Pilage The Village, N r*pe Our Own Girls..propaganda And Bullsh*t Is His Business Agenda

Lets Turn The Minority Against Each Other, And Let Them Eat Away At Each Other..lets Turn Brother Agaisnt Brother Sister Against Sister..neighbor Against Neighbor
 06-29-2005, 04:36 PM         #18
Fr3sH G 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Hooksword said:
Mexicans

Lol,Now That Was fu*k Up But Funny At The Same Time.
 06-29-2005, 04:45 PM         #19
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 NahLij said:
man, fu*k them Messcan[Mess Can] Papi Chulo Taco Bell Mida Mida muthafu*kaz.
my family(parents & up, all kids born in U.S.) is from Honduras and the people there know Messcans is some bi*ches. they racist fu*ks who think they better than people & sh*t. yeah if they so much better, why they leave where they from to come here? gate hoppin fu*kers.
lmfao...don't make me open my mouth on where people from Honduras go before crossing the border to the US pendejo!

and yea that sh*t is pretty fu*ked up, that sterotypical character is from very early 1900's.....dumbasses shouldn't have used it.

Fr3sH G said:
We Aint Sweating Mexico...That's Why We Beating They a.ss In Cali.They Scared Of Black Folks,sh*t They Turned Down Game When He Tryed To Go To Mexico For A Concert and He Had AK On Him and They Told Him To Send Back To L.A. If He Want To Come To Mexico and He Said fu*k'em.
Mexicans are far from afraid from a black dude in Cali. Game? lmfao....he's lucky they saw him with the AK or he would be facing life in prison in a mexican jail which is one of the worst locals on earth. Trust me his "gangstaness" would be shattered.
 11 years ago '04        #20
Kingbee1979 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,426 | Props total: 18 18
Im Mexican... the cartoon has been around for years... I dont necessary agree wit the stamp...but I think people are blowing it out of proportion again....
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Philly rapper Quilly gets chain snatched at Mcdonalds
105 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
2 ugly women fu-k a 15 year old boy at a pizza party
144 comments
21 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Cuban With A Mean Cake, OMG!!!
43 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sep 28 - California changes law because of Bill Cosby
54 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Envy Reveals He Was Shot At On Highway Last Week! fu-k Whoever Hatin..
152 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dave East | Kairi Chanel (Official Mixtape/Album Discussion Thread)
122 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
audio inside Meek Mill & Pusha T – Black Moses (Feat. Priscilla Renea) (FULL SONG)
62 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Bobby Simmons testifying against one of Chicago's Most Feared Gangs
198 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy