online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Nov 29 - Fewer Black Professionals Are Getting Promoted Into Management, Reversing Trend

more
topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section Race & ethnicity

What do you think?
I received my promotion 25 26.04%
I was demoted 0 0%
I was skipped over 32 33.33%
I was fired 9 9.38%
I quit 17 17.71%
BTC is the future lol 23 23.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96.   (BX member poll)

3 months ago '11        #1
2142 page views
95 comments

Sin  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x69
Props total: 222844 222 K  Slaps total: 29349 29 K
icon Nov 29 - Fewer Black Professionals Are Getting Promoted Into Management, Reversing Trend

A push to promote Black men and women into management roles is losing ground in big companies.

IG

U.S. companies have lost momentum in promoting Black professionals into management, according to new data from McKinsey & Co.

After the May 2020 murder of George Floyd set off a national conversation about race, equity and opportunity, American companies set ambitious goals for advancing Black talent in their ranks. They have made some strides in hiring and promoting more Black professionals, especially at the highest levels of the company; there are now eight Black chief executive officers in the Fortune 500, compared with four in 2020.

Yet on the critical first promotion to management, new McKinsey data now show U.S. companies are no longer promoting Black professionals at the higher rate of a couple of years ago, and have reverted to nearly the same promotion rates for Black staff as in 2019. The downshift suggests that as companies’ focus has shifted to trimming corporate budgets and getting more workers back into offices, many have gotten distracted from earlier commitments to hire and promote more people of color, human resources and other corporate executives and consultants say.
James D. White, the former CEO of Jamba who now serves as board chair of the Honest Co., said the promotion data confirms what he has been hearing from Black professionals. “There is a really dramatic kind of pushback and retreat that I’ve seen in lots of places as it relates to the focus on Black men and Black women in the workforce."
According to the McKinsey data, for every 100 men of all races promoted into their first management role in 2022, 54 Black women were elevated; in 2021, 96 Black women were promoted for every 100 men, approaching close to parity for a brief time.
First-time promotion rates for Black men have also fallen, dropping to 66 promotions for every 100 men of any race elevated into a first management role in 2022. That is down from 72 Black men promoted for every 100 men in 2021. White men and women, meanwhile, were promoted at relatively high rates consistently between 2019 and 2022.
McKinsey’s analysis included more than 270 companies that, together, employ more than 10 million people. The firm adjusted the population of each group to equal size to compare their rates of promotion.
Corporate diversity, equity and inclusion efforts have also become the subject of debate—and cost-cutting—as some employees complained that merit alone, not diversity goals, should be used to hire and promote people.
“If you were borderline committed, you’ve just kind of exhaled and retreated," said Michael C. Bush, chief executive of Great Place to Work, a research and consulting firm, citing culture audits based on questionnaires that his firm receives from the top quartile of the 18,000 companies it surveys each year. The series of questions probes each company’s core values and qualities that elicit trust, pride and fun.
Just after Floyd’s death in May 2020, top firms said they were focused heavily on equity, recruitment and promotions for Black men and women, the audits showed. More recent audits show most of the top 25% of companies have stopped making diversity a priority.
The power of promotion
The first promotion from an entry-level role into the ranks of management can set a person’s earning trajectory for years to come. Getting left behind in promotions early on also delays future promotions, making it that much harder for Black professionals to eventually ascend to senior roles.
For companies, fewer first-step promotions for Black employees weakens the overall pipeline of future leaders, human-resource and other corporate executives say. Other research, including McKinsey’s, has shown lack of advancement opportunities is one of the biggest reasons Black workers leave jobs at higher rates than white employees do.
“When we were paying attention, particularly to the advancement of Black men and women, we were doing better," said Lareina Yee, a senior partner at McKinsey who co-wrote the study, of businesses’ diversity efforts.
Bosses have recently faced skepticism from some workers about the aims of diversity initiatives, as well as criticism from politicians. By the spring of this year, company executives dialed down their use of certain terms in earnings calls, including “diversity, equity and inclusion" and “DEI," by about a third.
Higher up the chain
Higher up the corporate ladder, the picture is more mixed.
In 2022, Black women were promoted to the executive ranks at a higher rate than all men. For every 100 men promoted into the C-suite, 132 Black women were elevated to those roles, up from 88 Black women promoted for every 100 men in 2021, according to McKinsey’s analysis.
Black women’s promotion rate into the C-suite for 2022 was higher than Black men, white men and white women.
Promotions into the C-suite for Black men in 2022 declined to 74 for every 100 men, down from 130 Black men for every 100 men in 2021, McKinsey said.
Overall Black representation at the C-suite level has been steadily rising since 2020—although still far behind that of white professionals.
Three Black executives were tapped to lead Fortune 500 companies in 2021: Thasunda Brown Duckett at TIAA, David Rawlinson II at Qurate Retail, and Rosalind Brewer at Walgreens, who has since stepped down. In 2022, Franklin Clyburn Jr. was tapped to lead International Flavors & Fragrances and Calvin Butler took the helm at Exelon. This year, Christopher Womack took over as Southern Co. CEO, while Toni Townes-Whitley became the CEO of Science Applications International.
Still, the rising trend line of Black CEOs might be disguising a problem lower down the ladder, said White, the former CEO of Jamba.
“They’re going to seek an opportunity where there’s upward mobility at some other company," he said.
Leaky bucket
Since 2020, companies have been focused more on recruiting new hires rather than retaining, training and promoting existing employees, said Joelle Emerson, chief executive of Paradigm, a provider of consulting services and analytic tools that has worked with organizations including American Express, Grubhub and the National Football League on their DEI efforts.
“Organizations are filling a leaky bucket," she said, referring to the hiring and retention of employees of color. “They’re bringing more people in, but those folks are not staying as long and certainly don’t tend to get promoted as quickly."
Of 148 companies that Paradigm has worked with this year, a third track promotion rates by race and ethnicity, Emerson said: “If we aren’t even measuring these things, we have very little hope of addressing gaps."
The Supreme Court’s recent decision to ban affirmative action in college admissions is making chief human resources officers nervous about tracking promotion rates by race, Emerson said, citing legal risk.
Write to Ray A. Smith at Ray.Smith@wsj.com and Vanessa Fuhrmans at Vanessa.Fuhrmans@wsj.com

https://www.livemint.com/ .. 270912443.html
+12   

icon
best
icon
worst
95 comments

3 months ago '16        #2
00010111  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 94462 94 K  Slaps total: 8632 8 K
emoji
+13   

3 months ago '04        #3
ItAlY2BkLyN  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 85931 85 K  Slaps total: 15297 15 K
pandering
+2   

3 months ago '17        #4
Ymmot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 143270 143 K  Slaps total: 58740 58 K
I wonder if it has anything to do with trump and the GOP getting rid of all those affirmative action programs....
+29   

3 months ago '17        #5
justin747  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 227823 227 K  Slaps total: 41820 41 K
Top 10 BXSC sportsbetter
People just might not want those positions TBH. It might be that simple

emoji

I’ve turned down management positions at my last 3 jobs. When I took my current job I told them I never want to be a manager.

I dont wanna be a babysitter for some sh1tty adults. The management money ain’t worth the headaches.
+44   

3 months ago '07        #6
young mad 
Props total: 33195 33 K  Slaps total: 1690 1 K
Had to leave to get a promotion/management position. That happens often but especially for us. Just in general, there are less advocates in leadership that want to develop and promote us. Not to say there aren’t any-there are just less.
+27   

3 months ago '21        #7
JugBeats  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 10599 10 K  Slaps total: 667 667
my old job is full of nepotism and racism UNLESS you play the game and look the other way on the BS.

I was told i would never move up, so i focused on my own business and supervisors (one is Nigerian at that
emoji
) and management disliked that because i didnt kiss a*s for OT or holidays.

NONE of these jobs/ careers are made for black people to be at the top UNLESS you are playing the game. real simple.
+51   

3 months ago '04        #8
lil antman 
Props total: 1470 1 K  Slaps total: 240 240
 justin747 said 🔗

emoji

I’ve turned down management positions at my last 3 jobs. When I took my current job I told them I never want to be a manager.

I dont wanna be a babysitter for some sh1tty adults. The management money ain’t worth the headaches.
no...the truth of the matter is there are pretty much no black people in corporate america..VERY few...inherent bias is a reality of life and you need people who can relate to you to advocate for you at times...its just the reality...unfortunately those people are few and far between...speaking from my experience
+17   

3 months ago '17        #9
Top 10 BXSC sportsbetter
 lil antman said 🔗
no...the truth of the matter is there are pretty much no black people in corporate america..VERY few...inherent bias is a reality of life and you need people who can relate to you to advocate for you at times...its just the reality...unfortunately those people are few and far between...speaking from my experience
It’s hard to make blanket statements like this because there are a lot of different lanes.

I work in tech and there are A LOT of black people that work with me in normal positions, senior positions, and management roles.

I avoid statistics like this because they are almost always bullsh1t. I’ve never had issues getting management roles but I intentionally avoid them because it’s a sh1tty job.
+6   

3 months ago '05        #10
Switchc2390 
Props total: 16024 16 K  Slaps total: 1681 1 K
 justin747 said 🔗

emoji

Depends on the job, but a lot of the time it's just n1ggas scared of a little more responsibility. I'm management and my job is WAY easier than the people who I manage. Sure I have to keep things upright, deal with some annoying personalities, etc. But I'm literally sitting here posting on BX from my house during lunch. I've got more freedom. Plus taking that management job gets you access to other types of positions.

If this is your actual career, then consider it. If you're going to be a middle manager at a sh1tty job that you're looking to leave and they're only giving you 10k more, then I agree with you.
+5   

3 months ago '16        #11
Stables08 
Props total: 35741 35 K  Slaps total: 7752 7 K
Black people or immigrants there is a difference
+7   

3 months ago '17        #12
Top 10 BXSC sportsbetter
 Switchc2390 said 🔗
Depends on the job, but a lot of the time it's just n1ggas scared of a little more responsibility. I'm management and my job is WAY easier than the people who I manage. Sure I have to keep things upright, deal with some annoying personalities, etc. But I'm literally sitting here posting on BX from my house during lunch. I've got more freedom. Plus taking that management job gets you access to other types of positions.

If this is your actual career, then consider it. If you're going to be a middle manager at a sh1tty job that you're looking to leave and they're only giving you 10k more, then I agree with you.
It’s not the fear, it’s the lack of desire. Why take a position you know you don’t want? You can get access to those same jobs just by having irreplaceable ski1ls. Knowledge trumps everything.

Me personally, there’s no fu#kin way I’m EVER taking a management position. Like you said, $10K ain’t enough. It would have to be closer to $40K-$50K more a year for me, and even then I’d have a bunch of stipulations.

Being a manager fu#kin sucks. I don’t wanna tell a bunch of entitled 20-30 year olds what to do at work.
+4   

3 months ago '05        #13
Switchc2390 
Props total: 16024 16 K  Slaps total: 1681 1 K
 justin747 said 🔗
It’s not the fear, it’s the lack of desire. Why take a position you know you don’t want? You can get access to those same jobs just by having irreplaceable ski1ls. Knowledge trumps everything.

Me personally, there’s no fu#kin way I’m EVER taking a management position. Like you said, $10K ain’t enough. It would have to be closer to $40K-$50K more a year for me, and even then I’d have a bunch of stipulations.

Being a manager fu#kin sucks. I don’t wanna tell a bunch of entitled 20-30 year olds what to do at work.
Valid points bruh but that depends on your job. If you're talking retail or the restaurant biz, then maybe I agree with you. But I work in networking. I'm managing trained professionals. Sure, I get some whiny people or occasionally people who arent happy during review time or whatever. Sure, there's always egos and all that. But for the most part guys just come in and work. Also, I'm not balling but I make six figures. The guys under me don't get paid bad either, but I'm definitely making a decent percentage more.

My job mostly consists of making sure customer escalations get taken care of, guys are working on their assignments, and meetings. sh1t is light work compared to answering every phone call and being on the front line with customers. I literally have my basement being done right now so I'm working from home and am able to do what I want today as long as I catch the occasional email coming through and know that my guys are working. It wouldn't be that way if I worked under me. But to each his own.
+2   

3 months ago '23        #14
Yopa 
Props total: 13216 13 K  Slaps total: 3667 3 K
This has been the norm since the Teaparty showed up in 2006 or 07 & said they wanted their country back
+1   

3 months ago '17        #15
Top 10 BXSC sportsbetter
 Switchc2390 said 🔗
Valid points bruh but that depends on your job. If you're talking retail or the restaurant biz, then maybe I agree with you. But I work in networking. I'm managing trained professionals. Sure, I get some whiny people or occasionally people who arent happy during review time or whatever. Sure, there's always egos and all that. But for the most part guys just come in and work. Also, I'm not balling but I make six figures. The guys under me don't get paid bad either, but I'm definitely making a decent percentage more.
I’ve been in tech 20 years. System Engineering and scripting and automation and sh1t like that. Dip into Web Dev when they need help

Never took a management position and I never will.

My job mostly consists of making sure customer escalations get taken care of, guys are working on their assignments, and meetings. sh1t is light work compared to answering every phone call and being on the front line with customers. I literally have my basement being done right now so I'm working from home and am able to do what I want today as long as I catch the occasional email coming through and know that my guys are working. It wouldn't be that way if I worked under me. But to each his own.
I do a lot of that with the same perks like WFH and unlimited PTO and 2 week mandatory Christmas vacation every year

The difference is I don’t deal really with customer escalations or the team. I just gotta keep my sh1t done.

If a C-Level needs help I’m their direct line, but they know me personally so they don’t even trip when something breaks because they know I can fix it.

For me it’s all about peace of mind. I don’t care about money TBH. I want my job to be as worry-free as possible and the best lane I saw was to avoid being a manager.

A lot people may not agree with me and my lane. I’m mostly showing how stats can be skewed. I’m not the only black person who intentionally chose not to be a manager
+3   

3 months ago '16        #16
Boogie1790  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 104384 104 K  Slaps total: 18607 18 K
 justin747 said 🔗

emoji

Yea. Black dudes at my job was talking about how they don't want the manager position just to get a couple more dollars and a lot more head ache before a meeting one day .... people wanna go to work go home and leave work at work
+6   

3 months ago '04        #17
lil antman 
Props total: 1470 1 K  Slaps total: 240 240
 justin747 said 🔗
It’s hard to make blanket statements like this because there are a lot of different lanes.

I work in tech and there are A LOT of black people that work with me in normal positions, senior positions, and management roles.

I avoid statistics like this because they are almost always bullsh1t. I’ve never had issues getting management roles but I intentionally avoid them because it’s a sh1tty job.
I work in tech. I work at MIcrosoft. Ive seen maybe 3-4 black people in the san jose office in a year. The hiring manager who hired me was an African guy who saw something in me and they were interviewing specifically in Atlanta desperately trying to find black people. This was back when that was the "in" thing to do. Now they dont care which is why these numbers are dropping. Plus tons of people got laid off.

Last edited by lil antman; 11-29-2023 at 12:52 PM..
+14   

3 months ago '17        #18
Top 10 BXSC sportsbetter
 lil antman said 🔗
I work in tech. I work at MIcrosoft. Ive seen maybe 3-4 black people in the san jose office in a year. The hiring manager who hired me was an African guy who saw something in me and they were interviewing specifically in Atlanta desperately trying to find black people. This was back when that was the "in" thing to do. Now they dont care which is why these numbers are dropping. Plus tons of people got laid off.
I actually interviewed with Microsoft. I also made sure the position I was applying to would NEVER be a manager.

I bombed the interview so I guess it doesn’t matter whatever I was telling them.

emoji

I don’t know…. It’s always going to vary depending on location, job, company, etc but I can’t possible be the only person who doesn’t ever want to be a manager

Now according to the statistics, I’m black and I never got promoted to manager which is true, but it was by choice. These stats don’t account for people like me which makes everything misleading.

3 months ago '10        #19
Chiyosuke  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 35586 35 K  Slaps total: 1893 1 K
 Ymmot said 🔗
I wonder if it has anything to do with trump and the GOP getting rid of all those affirmative action programs....
Mostly this. AA predominantly helped Dwight women and black women. We (bm) were largely excluded.
+6   

3 months ago '22        #20
Murderers  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x48
Props total: 114837 114 K  Slaps total: 29634 29 K
Promote based on ski1ls, not skin color.

3 months ago '09        #21
2nd2none 
Props total: 12348 12 K  Slaps total: 1549 1 K
I work for a fortune 50 company and the idea of going into management is sickening. Not gonna bust my a$s while dealing with disrespect.

Rather enjoy my union benefits while building my business on the side

🔗

+5   

3 months ago '06        #22
dagreat1_87 
Props total: 33356 33 K  Slaps total: 1638 1 K
My black a$s got promoted last month
emoji
+12   

3 months ago '08        #23
MotorBoat Jones 
Props total: 9660 9 K  Slaps total: 843 843
Yeah, Same thing happened at my job.
There was a big push toward diversity ect .... but most of the diversity ended up getting shuffled into entry level positions with some staying and some recently leaving.

Management hasn't shifted to much. It's the same people making the same decisions. If anything they just reshuffled the deck chairs.
+3   

3 months ago '17        #24
Pythagoras  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 97601 97 K  Slaps total: 20980 20 K
Fight for every inch, don't be afraid to move jobs, don't take bullsh1t.

That's my advice to anyone in corporate America looking to move up.
+7   

3 months ago '19        #25
tonysancho  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 32304 32 K  Slaps total: 905 905
It's myself and another brother on a team of 125. Buddy has been with the company for 5 years, and I just hit 2 years a few months back. We were chopping up a few months ago at HQ. He mentioned his salary and asked me about my salary. I felt sorry for the dude because Buddy is getting paid at a B-level and I'm at a V-level. It bothers me that we are colleagues and he's happy with that pay.

He's happy and that's all that matters. I know he adds so much value to the team and I've spoken many times on his behalf.

Last edited by tonysancho; 12-02-2023 at 06:51 PM..
+3   

say something...

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props-1624
Video inside Doja Cat is hidden
34 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Hold on so Diddy and Meek Mill were in situationship ?
231 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+4619
logo Adam Silver saw the All Star Game
135 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Feb 27 - Bitcoin hits two-year high
254 comments