online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Naughty Dog Has ‘No Comment’ On The Last Of Us Factions, In Development Since 2020

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

3 months ago '16        #1
334 page views
19 comments

supa HF spitta 
Props total: 2599 2 K  Slaps total: 1627 1 K
icon Naughty Dog Has ‘No Comment’ On The Last Of Us Factions, In Development Since 2020

The Last of Us Factions continues to be one of Sony’s weirdest in-development projects. That is, if it’s still in development at all.

Now, Naughty Dog’s Neil Druckmann has a new comment when asked about the game, and that is…no comment. In an interview with EW, they asked about both Factions and a potential Last of Us Part III.

Druckman said he had “no update” on Factions, and no comment more generally on the future of TLOU, that game included:

"The Last of Us is obviously a world I love deeply and know our studio and fans do as well, but I have no comment at this moment on the series’ future beyond our focus on The Last of Us Part II Remastered,” and, “We have other projects in the works at Naughty Dog."

While I can understand that there would be nothing to say about The Last of Us Part III, which has not been announced or teased, and may not even happen (though I think it will, in part to sync up with future seasons of Druckmann’s beloved HBO series), pulling a “no comment” on Factions at this point after all the reporting about its troubles feels weird. It’s time to fish or cut bait here after this saga.

The development of The Last of Us Factions reportedly started in 2020 around the launch of TLOU Part II, with a huge chunk of that team working on how to make a standalone, live service, multiplayer game for Sony, above and beyond past multiplayer modes they’d done.

Then, by 2022 Druckmann was still saying things like it was Naughty Dog’s “biggest ever effort,” sharing the singular piece of concept art on top of this post that remains the only preview of the game after all these years.

Internally, this is where reporting began that things were in trouble. First, it was Sony-acquired live service consultants Bungie reviewing the game and saying it wasn’t engaging enough. Then, we heard that it had been put “on ice.” Just recently, Jason Schreier reported that at least some developers are working on the game, but it’s unclear how many or what the state of it is. The more time goes on the more this seems like it could end up being a money pit that never sees the light of day, and Naughty Dog may move on to other projects.

This would align with Sony’s recent backtracking on its live service ambitions, previously announcing a dozen in the next few years, then halving that to six, with the other six coming out at some unspecified point in the future, but it seems unlikely all will survive. It’s not clear which group Factions is supposed to be in. It does almost seem like sunk cost at this point, three years of development with huge chunks of Naughty Dog working on it, if not practically the whole studio at one point. Now? Who knows, and Druckmann isn’t saying or offering even a glimmer of hope, three years later.
 https://www.forbes.com/si .. h=5fae5e6fe58c

icon
best
icon
worst
19 comments

3 months ago '14        #2
NewLegends  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20811 20 K  Slaps total: 2902 2 K
Before 2020
+1   

3 months ago '22        #3
God Bless You 
Props total: 26591 26 K  Slaps total: 22020 22 K
Can’t rush greatness. Otherwise you end up with a redfall or starfield

emoji
+3   

3 months ago '16        #4
supa HF spitta  OP
Props total: 2599 2 K  Slaps total: 1627 1 K
 God Bless You said 🔗
Can’t rush greatness. Otherwise you end up with a Babylon’s Fall or Forspoken

emoji
Fixed
emoji

3 months ago '05        #5
Krazie 
Props total: 68372 68 K  Slaps total: 13556 13 K
But they'll remaster a remaster no problem
emoji

3 months ago '14        #6
Cuttysark 
Props total: 69137 69 K  Slaps total: 5289 5 K
This way more sad than Bethesda responding to reviews

Factions was dope as hell and we can't even get a run back
emoji
+4   

3 months ago '05        #7
Fauby  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 50793 50 K  Slaps total: 6325 6 K
Forget the multiplayer and give us part 3
+6   

3 months ago '15        #8
voltron 
Props total: 2328 2 K  Slaps total: 121 121
Sony needs to take a chance on new IPs.
+3   

3 months ago '22        #9
God Bless You 
Props total: 26591 26 K  Slaps total: 22020 22 K
 supa HF spitta said 🔗
Fixed
emoji
nice try fam

God bless
+2   

3 months ago '12        #10
OldBusiness  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 227220 227 K  Slaps total: 13460 13 K
 Fauby said 🔗
Forget the multiplayer and give us part 3
I been saying this since it was announced. They established a world of good characters who they could explore further and went to work on this sh1t

Give us single player, we want single player lol
+2   

3 months ago '05        #11
Krazie 
Props total: 68372 68 K  Slaps total: 13556 13 K
 OldBusiness said 🔗
I been saying this since it was announced. They established a world of good characters who they could explore further and went to work on this sh1t

Give us single player, we want single player lol
They're releasing a single player game early next year
emoji

3 months ago '17        #12
Pretty Tone 
Props total: 72253 72 K  Slaps total: 5403 5 K
 voltron said 🔗
Sony needs to take a chance on new IPs.
Give me a shadow of the coloseus remake first
emoji

3 months ago '06        #13
Triple0 
Props total: 2123 2 K  Slaps total: 669 669
 Pretty Tone said 🔗
Give me a shadow of the coloseus remake first
emoji
They did. Back in 2018 lol

3 months ago '17        #14
Pretty Tone 
Props total: 72253 72 K  Slaps total: 5403 5 K
 Triple0 said 🔗
They did. Back in 2018 lol
That was a remaster. I need the full remake and a part 2
emoji

3 months ago '17        #15
Lazy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 56673 56 K  Slaps total: 8080 8 K
 Pretty Tone said 🔗
That was a remaster. I need the full remake and a part 2
emoji
Part 2?

With how part 1 ended?

How Sway?

3 months ago '17        #16
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 124500 124 K  Slaps total: 48236 48 K
They've clearly been working on this Part 2 re-release and the new features it brings.

Im not seeing I agree with what theyre doing but the sh1t literally got announced a few weeks ago. When is this site gonna stop choosing to be dense for the sake of bickering with each other.

3 months ago '17        #17
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 124500 124 K  Slaps total: 48236 48 K
 Cuttysark said 🔗
This way more sad than Bethesda responding to reviews:
emoji

You guys need to stop forcing Garfield into these conversations about actual good games. It's in a cla$s of mediocrity on its own

3 months ago '06        #18
Kingme 
Props total: 24188 24 K  Slaps total: 4189 4 K
Factions should've been in the remake. It got a 10 rating in the original release and would've held people over. We should be talking about Factions 2.

3 months ago '05        #19
A~team 
Props total: 18213 18 K  Slaps total: 2992 2 K
Its never coming out

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
props+918
Video inside Joe Rogan Experience #2111 - Katt Williams
293 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Mysterious case of the biggie Smalls video girl
159 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
logo Is Ryan Garcia okay?!?
41 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Feb 29 - Trump leads Biden in seven swing states as more than 80% say Biden ‘t..
286 comments
2 days ago
@news