‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Star Angela Bassett Makes Oscar History

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
31 replies  @wild'ish

most viewed right now
+59  104
105 replies  @sports

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 week ago '18        #1
1052 page views
15 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x181
Props total: 229338 229 K  Slaps total: 8493 8 K
‘Black Panther: Wakanda Forever’ Star Angela Bassett Makes Oscar History

"Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” star Angela Bassett made superhero cinema history on Tuesday as the first woman, the first person of color and the first Marvel Studios actor to be nominated for an Academy Award for their performance in a comic book adaptation. It’s Bassett’s second Oscar nomination; her first came 29 years ago for best actress for 1993’s Tina Turner biopic “What’s Love Got to Do With It?”

But while Bassett’s nomination breaks several Oscar barriers, “Wakanda Forever” failed to equal the best picture nod earned by 2018’s “Black Panther” — the first superhero movie ever nominated for Oscar’s top prize. The film was also nominated for Ruth E. Carter for costume design; “Lift Me Up” for original song (by Tems, Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna and Ryan Coogler); Camille Friend and Joel Harlow for makeup and hairstyling; and Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, Hanzhi Tang and Dan Sud*ck for visual effects.

The lack of a best picture nomination isn’t exactly a shock. While “Wakanda Forever” did pick up a PGA nod, the film wasn’t nearly as universally beloved by critics as the original, and it faced steep competition from several other high profile sequels in the blockbuster space, namely “Top Gun: Maverick,” “Avatar: The Way of Water” and “Knives Out” follow-up “Glass Onion.” “Maverick” and “Way of Water” both scored best picture nominations.

Bassett, meanwhile, remains the presumptive frontrunner in the supporting actress category for her performance as Queen Ramonda, the head of state of Wakanda — she’s already won the Golden Globe and Critics’ Choice awards, and she’s nominated for several others, including the NAACP Image Award, the SAGs and the BAFTAs.

The 64-year-old actor enters what had been to this point a tiny and exclusive club of white, male actors who’ve earned nominations for comic book and graphic novel adaptations: supporting actor nominees Al Pacino (1990’s “d*ck Tracy”), Paul Newman (2002’s “Road to Perdition”) and William Hurt (2005’s “A History of Violence”); and supporting actor winner Heath Ledger (for 2008’s “The Dark Knight”) and leading actor winner Joaquin Phoenix (for 2019’s “Joker”). Bassett is also the second oldest Black woman ever nominated for an acting Oscar, behind supporting actress nominee Ruby Dee (2007’s “American Gangster”).

As Ramonda, Bassett had to be at once formidable as the leader of her country and anguished by the loss of her son T’Challa, whose passing echoed the August 2020 death of star Chadwick Boseman. For Variety‘s November 2022 cover story on “Wakanda Forever,” Bassett said playing Ramonda was “a whole, rich meal,” and that she had no problem drawing from her own grief over Boseman’s death.

“Use it,” she said. “Make it good for something. You’re experiencing it. Don’t be ashamed of it. It’s part of life. The tears you see are indicative of the love I have — or the justice I demand or want or seek or desire.”

visit this link https://variety.com/2023/ .. tt-1235500058/
+11   

best
worst
15 comments

1 week ago '11        #2
R3alMonsters 
Props total: 5533 5 K  Slaps total: 262 262
Should of won one for what's love got to do with It
+26   

1 week ago '16        #3
kamal1978 
Props total: 7808 7 K  Slaps total: 3220 3 K
Oscar is so white still
+7   

7 days ago '21        #4
Bigcredit007 
Props total: 5036 5 K  Slaps total: 2188 2 K
Worst movie of last year. Nobody should receive a Oscar for that trash a*s movie. This is stupid news.

7 days ago '17        #5
becoolhomie2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 28646 28 K  Slaps total: 9490 9 K
 kamal1978 said
Oscar is so white still
Get her a BET award then

7 days ago '17        #6
Mperfection 
Props total: 19230 19 K  Slaps total: 1968 1 K
Imma be honest, the original black panther should've never been in contention for a Best Picture award.

I hope she wins for her role in this, because she brought it and she is more than deserving of recognition.
+2   

7 days ago '16        #7
kamal1978 
Props total: 7808 7 K  Slaps total: 3220 3 K
 becoolhomie2 said
Get her a BET award then

Ok you dumb f*g**t

I'll speak to my brothers at BET to hook her up
+1   

7 days ago '17        #8
Its 
Props total: 50977 50 K  Slaps total: 3782 3 K
 becoolhomie2 said
Get her a BET award then
See what you did there lol

6 days ago '17        #9
Ifeellikekobe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 91411 91 K  Slaps total: 7885 7 K
Some of them other actors and actress just getting an easy check...for a few goofy lines and looking at green screens all day. While the queen bring in trophies

+1   

6 days ago '17        #10
YAYO101 
Props total: 48986 48 K  Slaps total: 2693 2 K
salute to Ruth Carter as well with another one

Angela had some Oscar Worthy moments for sure in Wakanda Forever like the Scene between 'Queen Romanda and Okoye' as well as 'Queen Romanda addressing the UN'

+3   

6 days ago '04        #11
Sir_Burn_Alot  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 35759 35 K  Slaps total: 2018 2 K

+4   

6 days ago '16        #12
BathWaterMelody  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 113038 113 K  Slaps total: 14288 14 K
 becoolhomie2 said
Get her a BET award then

+3   

6 days ago '18        #13
Rugby Jones  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 62947 62 K  Slaps total: 9579 9 K
Well. Deserved

6 days ago '18        #14
 becoolhomie2 said
Get her a BET award then
I can smell the mayo thru your keyboard
Lmaooo

6 days ago '18        #15
 Bigcredit007 said
Worst movie of last year. Nobody should receive a Oscar for that trash a*s movie. This is stupid news.
Hey now that's not fair ....
we all cheered for your mother when she won that AVN award for best rim job.....

She still talking sh*t......lmaooooo

6 days ago '17        #16
becoolhomie2  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x22
Props total: 28646 28 K  Slaps total: 9490 9 K
 Rugby Jones said
I can smell the mayo thru your keyboard
Lmaooo
I’m n*gga as they come B

Im just not a f*ght the power n*gga

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+109online now  36
Video inside Biblical Nephilim Giant Skeletal Remains found in Nevada, USA
184 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+20online now  24
Image(s) inside James Gunn Reveals REBOOTED DC Slate! (01/31)
185 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
online now  19
Jan 30 - Alabama Dope boy Rolando Williams labeled a Kingpin by FBI
98 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+30online now  12
Image(s) inside Ay Who The Older Dude In This P$C Pic Wit Tip???
72 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy