The FTC is suing Microsoft to block its purchase of AB, Microsoft will take them to court

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
+33  113
66 replies  @wild'ish

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 months ago '12        #1
566 page views
27 comments

Faythung  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 33065 33 K  Slaps total: 2988 2 K
The FTC is suing Microsoft to block its purchase of AB, Microsoft will take them to court

+3   

best
worst
27 comments

2 months ago '12        #2
Faythung  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
The FTC has filed a legal challenge to try and block Microsoft’s plan to buy Activision Blizzard for $68.7 billion, according to a press release from the regulator. The lawsuit was filed today after weeks of back and forth between Microsoft, Sony, and regulators over competition concerns and the future of Call of Duty. The FTC argues that the acquisition would “enable Microsoft to suppress competitors to its Xbox gaming consoles and its rapidly growing subscription content and cloud-gaming business.”

The vote from the FTC commissioners today means Microsoft now faces significant hurdles to getting its Activision Blizzard deal complete. Regulators in the UK and EU are also scrutinizing the deal closely, despite Microsoft’s repeated attempts to appease regulators.

“Microsoft has already shown that it can and will withhold content from its gaming rivals,” Holly Vedova, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Competition, said in a statement. “Today we seek to stop Microsoft from gaining control over a leading independent game studio and using it to harm competition in multiple dynamic and fast-growing gaming markets.”

“We continue to believe that this deal will expand competition and create more opportunities for gamers and game developers,” Brad Smith, Microsoft’s vice chair and president, said in a statement to The Verge. “We have been committed since Day One to addressing competition concerns, including by offering earlier this week proposed concessions to the FTC. While we believed in giving peace a chance, we have complete confidence in our case and welcome the opportunity to present our case in court.”

The company’s corporate vice president of communications, Frank X. Shaw, also tweeted a link to a document titled: “Get The Facts: How Microsoft is Committed to Growing Gaming Communities.”

Microsoft offered Sony a 10-year deal on new Call of Duty games last month, but Sony hasn’t yet accepted the offer. A similar deal was agreed upon between Nintendo and Valve, though. It could see Call of Duty heading to Nintendo consoles if the Activision Blizzard deal is approved.

Microsoft’s frustrations over Sony’s objections to its Activision Blizzard deal have been clear. “Sony has emerged as the loudest objector,” said Microsoft president Brad Smith in a Wall Street Journal op-ed recently. “It’s as excited about this deal as Blockbuster was about the rise of Netflix.” Microsoft also described the UK’s Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) concerns as “misplaced” and accused the regulator of adopting “Sony’s complaints without considering the potential harm to consumers.”

Microsoft has also accused Sony of paying developers to keep their content off of its Xbox Game Pass service, and Sony has even argued that Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard acquisition could “hurt developers and lead to price rises.”

2 months ago '12        #3

While we believed in giving peace a chance

This was in Microsoft's official statement.

Last edited by Faythung; 12-08-2022 at 01:36 PM..
+4   

2 months ago '06        #4
imthatinfamous  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 46966 46 K  Slaps total: 12578 12 K
lawyers about to get paid
+1   

2 months ago '11        #5
Blokka Blokka  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 27972 27 K  Slaps total: 5780 5 K
FTC will fail

This was in August
+5   

2 months ago '04        #6
Liquid-Science  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 8860 8 K  Slaps total: 1594 1 K
Told y'all, they're trying to tax and fu*k with Microsoft for not being able to break them up back in the day like they wanted to

2 months ago '17        #7
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27
Props total: 253015 253 K  Slaps total: 21984 21 K
This is common for large acquisitions and fairly reasonable.
+1   

2 months ago '20        #8
D1dnt read  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33616 33 K  Slaps total: 10574 10 K
deal is going through imo unless I decide to join the FTC legal team and wrap up this case with ease
+7   

2 months ago '16        #9
Supreme God  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x18
Props total: 79498 79 K  Slaps total: 5806 5 K
 Faythung said

While we believed in giving peace a chance

This was in Microsoft's official statement.
Microsoft finna body these niccas, but really.... As an Xbox user, who cares either way.... I just want a better lineup for 2023...

With that being said, for trolling purposes against the folks who take this deal so seriously...

+2   

2 months ago '10        #10
acegutta22  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 30076 30 K  Slaps total: 4922 4 K
This case stands no chance makes me consider voting Republican the way these Democrats are wasting money with these Frivolous cases

2 months ago '17        #11
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x27
Props total: 253015 253 K  Slaps total: 21984 21 K
People think this is all about CoD. It has more to do with King and Microsoft becoming more established in mobile games. Candy Crush is much larger than CoD.

2 months ago '22        #12
God Bless You 
Props total: 12208 12 K  Slaps total: 10329 10 K
I see all my emails paid off

Gotta love when democracy works how it’s supposed to

2 months ago '04        #13
SpyDa  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x16
Props total: 16458 16 K  Slaps total: 2044 2 K

They going to stall em out.

2 months ago '12        #14
 SpyDa said

I believe this is false, there's no reason the deal needs to be re-negotiated, both parties are in agreement and want it to go through.

2 months ago '11        #15
 Faythung said
I believe this is false, there's no reason the deal needs to be re-negotiated.
charlieintel should stick to COD loadouts

2 months ago '04        #16
 Faythung said
I believe this is false, there's no reason the deal needs to be re-negotiated, both parties are in agreement and want it to go through.
They made the announcement and stated they'd be merged by June 30th. If that target date is missed, they would have to renegotiate and provide the details to stock holders etc.. so it's a possibility. Probably why they are trying to sue, knowing they'd lose. Hoping to just stall em out.

;t=j2_lSZldxOJcvdxoUjF5QQ

2 months ago '05        #17
Y.G. 
Props total: 32210 32 K  Slaps total: 4517 4 K
More of the people's tax dollars wasted.
+3   

2 months ago '12        #18
 SpyDa said
They made the announcement and stated they'd be merged by June 30th. If that target date is missed, they would have to renegotiate and provide the details to stock holders etc.. so it's a possibility. Probably why they are trying to sue, knowing they'd lose. Hoping to just stall em out.

Think that's just an expectation, I don't see anything contractual there, and besides shareholders overwhelmingly (98%) voted for this deal.

2 months ago '04        #19
 Faythung said
Think that's just an expectation, I don't see anything contractual there, and besides shareholders overwhelmingly (98%) voted for this deal.
Unless they have a clause, I'm sure a renegotiation will take place. With the way the economy set up for 2023, they could be cheaper or worth a lot more in 6 months.

2 months ago '12        #20
Saw these comments on Reddit:

It is worth noting that the FTC cannot ask for a consent decree (legally binding concessions) from Microsoft without first filing a lawsuit to block the deal.

One thing I'll note here is the agency has not filed for a preliminary injunction to stop the deal in federal court. So it's likely MSFT and Activision will still close.

Just going to highlight two points from this article.

The FTC chose to file the complaint in its own administrative court, not in federal court.

The agency is not seeking a preliminary injunction to stop the deal from closing, so the two parties are still likely to close.

They're going for concessions.

+3   

2 months ago '20        #21
D1dnt read  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33616 33 K  Slaps total: 10574 10 K
 Faythung said

2 months ago '17        #22
SPdaGOAT  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 111765 111 K  Slaps total: 43311 43 K
 SpyDa said

Interesting

2 months ago '06        #23
Skateboard T  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 125167 125 K  Slaps total: 27781 27 K
 Blokka Blokka said
FTC will fail

This was in August
Yeah and that remains true.

I’m honestly surprised that the FTC is even pushing back. Must be some attorneys over there hoping to get their career defining case.

2 months ago '11        #24
 Skateboard T said
Yeah and that remains true.

I’m honestly surprised that the FTC is even pushing back. Must be some attorneys over there hoping to get their career defining case.

wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't even make it to court and gets resolved before

2 months ago '09        #25
Tiko377  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 20861 20 K  Slaps total: 2659 2 K

;t=sV1EuYKrKIwfMkDzsTlN2Q

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
-25online now  24
FBG Duck’s mom is NOW on 0nlyfans!
206 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop