‘Wonder Woman 3’ Not Moving Forward as DC Movies Hit Turning Point

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 months ago '07        #1
3062 page views
90 comments

Ham Rove  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 55535 55 K  Slaps total: 3132 3 K
‘Wonder Woman 3’ Not Moving Forward as DC Movies Hit Turning Point

;s=19image

Call it DC Rebirth or DC: Genesis. Maybe call it Identity Crisis or Flashpoint. These titles of past DC comics event series aptly describe the state of Warner Bros.’ DC movies, which are on the cusp of a new era but not before a potentially messy transition period.

A cleaning of the slate is common when a new executive team is put in place to run a studio or division but there is likely little precedent for the amount of Clorox James Gunn and Peter Safran could spray as they prepare to launch DC Studios and guide superhero movies for the next half decade and beyond.

The duo in recent days flew back to Los Angeles from the snowy city of Aspen, Colorado, where they were huddled in deep planning, and now like holy figures coming down from the mountaintop, have sets of commandments or a DC Bible in hand. Or at least a working blueprint.

Gunn and Safran are expected to meet next week with David Zaslav, the Warner Bros. Discovery CEO who is radically reshaping the media company and who hired the duo in October to lead a newly launched film and TV division. The pair will unveil to Zaslav a plan that is expected to lay out their vision. Although much of their plan, which insiders paint as still a work-in-progress and one that has yet to be approved, is being kept deep in the Batcave, details of several possible paths forward are trickling out. And at least one path not being taken has also been revealed.

Multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Patty Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3 is not moving forward and is considered dead in its current incarnation.

Sources say that Jenkins recently submitted her treatment, co-written with Geoff Johns, and that Gunn and Safran, as well as Warner Bros. Pictures co-chairs and co-CEOs Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy, broke the news to the filmmaker, telling her the project — as it stood — did not fit in with the new (but still unfolding) plans. Jenkins directed and co-wrote the previous two movies, starring Gal Gadot and released in 2017 and 2020. No decision has been made about next steps.

And while costs are not a factor — insiders say that DC Studios will not have any overburdensome financial restrictions — the studio could end up saving tens of millions of dollars by not making the third installment. Gadot, according to sources, was on track for a $20 million payday for Wonder Woman 3 while Jenkins would have received $12 million. Those figures don’t include any possible backend bonuses.

Warners had no comment.

It is unclear how any future Wonder Woman movie, and Gadot’s portrayal of the hero, would fit into the new DC plan. In a bit of head-scratching timing, Gadot tweeted out of the blue a thank you to fans on Tuesday, saying she was grateful to be allowed to play the heroine and role model, adding, “Can’t wait to share her next chapter with you.” It was unclear whether or not the actress knew the project was being toe-tagged.

The rest of the DC slate remains in flux, or at least being kept deep in a pocket of Gunn’s own utility belt but there are several rumors and possible scenarios to consider ahead of next week’s meeting.

The first, which builds on the shuttering of Jenkins’ Wonder Woman 3, is the closing curtain of the Snyderverse, and the heroes cast by filmmaker Zack Snyder for his Justice League. This one sees the shutting down of Man of Steel 2, with a returning Henry Cavill, and having no more Aquaman, fronted by Jason Momoa.

These characters are to cameo in Flash, the highly-anticipated time travel adventure movie that is due to release June 16. Cavill shot his part of the cameo in September. But sources say there is a debate inside the studio as whether or not to keep the cameo and if its inclusion promises something that studio would have no plans on delivering.

A Warners insider cautions that no plans have been finalized and that Flash remains an unlocked picture.

The Cavill situation is a more than a little thorny as the actor made a cameo in Black Adam, the DC-centric movie released in October. The Monday after the movie opened, Cavill posted a video on Instagram where he announced, “I wanted to make it official — I am back as Superman.”

And at that time, he was not incorrect. Warner Bros. was indeed developing a sequel for 2013’s Man of Steel and actively meeting with writers. Andy Muschietti, who directed Flash, even expressed interest in sitting behind the camera for something that would have brought a tone similar to the hopeful and heroic colors of the 1978 movie directed by Richard Donner, considered a benchmark in comic book movies. In fact, the current leadership team at Warner Bros Pictures — Michael De Luca and Pamela Abdy — did desire one more go-around of the Snyderverse heroes, possibly even having another Justice League movie with those actors.

But that was before Gunn and Safran began formulating their new (and still in flux) plan.

Also unlikely is a sequel to Black Adam. Despite the hype surrounding the movie of launching a new corner of DC, a lot of it led by star Dwayne Johnson, the movie has only grossed $385 million worldwide and insiders at the studio say the movie, which cost more than $190 million to produce (two sources peg the actual cost at $230 million, not including marketing), will be lucky to break even, even considering ancillary revenue. Even if the movie does eke out a minimal profit, any follow-up’s inherent rising costs dim the prospect of a sequel.

Johnson hoped to carve out his own piece of the DC pie, but multiple sources say his playing up of a returning Cavill and his own involvement with DC may not be endearing him to the new management. Johnson and Cavill are both managed by Dany Garcia, who is also Johnson’s producing partner. The perception of Adam turning a profit or not is a conflagration now being waged in public, with Johnson tweeting the movie would net over $50 million after a Variety story said the movie would lose over $50 million theatrically.

Momoa, meanwhile, could emerge as a pivotal figure into the new plans, according to several sources. In one scenario, the actor would wrap up his days as underwater hero Arthur Curry with Lost City, due out Dec. 25, 2023, which would be the final movie released that was made by the previous regime. But it would not spell the end of the actor’s involvement with DC, with sources saying the actor would lead another movie or franchise. The character of Lobo, a foul-mouthed cigar-chomping intergalactic bounty hunter, has been mentioned in connection with Momoa.

Whether or not Momoa does play everybody’s favorite bastich, Lobo emerging as a rising character early on in the conversation may point to the kinds of characters the Gunn-Safran team may be focusing on. The character is an outsider, an anti-hero, and is keeping in line with Gunn’s specialty of taking the off-beat and quirky and flipping it into crowd-pleasing fare.

Part of the plan could entail a truly fresh start and having no baggage from any previous regimes as they set about resetting how DC movies and shows are made. That, however, does not take into account the possible success of movies such as Shazam! Fury of the Gods (March 17, 2023), on which Safran is a producer, and Blue Beetle (Aug. 18, 2023). Would that plan include forging ahead without the actors who inhabit those characters and recast them even if those movies prove to be box office hits?

Observers are convinced the plan calls for an interconnected story universe and there is rumblings of the establishment of a creative brain trust. The brain trust may be already rolling in some capacity as sources say that Safran had in recent weeks been meeting with writers at his Los Angeles home in an effort to hone the presentation, gathering feedback and ideas for the plan.

One part that the Gunn-Safran agenda seems likely not to touch, at least for now, is the Matt Reeves Batman universe in which Robert Pattinson dons the cowl of the Caped Crusader. Reeves is writing the sequel to The Batman, which opened in March 4. The filmmaker is also overseeing the launch of two Batman series that spin out of his movie, including The Penguin.

+10   

best
worst
90 comments

2 months ago '17        #2
CJ Schwarz  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x60
Props total: 188663 188 K  Slaps total: 11142 11 K
DC Movie Universe has been about Aesthetics over substance
+19   

2 months ago '07        #3
-ThE~DoN~LoN-  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 13256 13 K  Slaps total: 2897 2 K
Shelf that bi*ch....
+9   

2 months ago '04        #4
Kadroan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
Props total: 58472 58 K  Slaps total: 6696 6 K
Being unbiased I get it. No need to spend millions on a film the masses not wanting.

Just sucks how the last regime ruined the last movie and this would have been an opp for Jenkins/Gadot to redeem themselves
+13   

2 months ago '12        #5
Klasicktha1 
Props total: 15021 15 K  Slaps total: 3202 3 K
Patty was the wrong mf for the project to begin with
+15   

2 months ago '14        #6
Docviticus  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x88
Props total: 233528 233 K  Slaps total: 55122 55 K
I hope he read that script in front of her, and tossed it right out the god damn window as she watched.

Last edited by Docviticus; 12-07-2022 at 06:52 PM..
+21   

2 months ago '07        #7
Jumbo Rondo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 54944 54 K  Slaps total: 7063 7 K
I have faith in James Gunn to turn it around
+6   

2 months ago '13        #8
Ethernine 
Props total: 10055 10 K  Slaps total: 2718 2 K
 Kadroan said
Being unbiased I get it. No need to spend millions on a film the masses not wanting.

Just sucks how the last regime ruined the last movie and this would have been an opp for Jenkins/Gadot to redeem themselves
Dude fu*k out of here….

Jenkins made Wonder Woman love story’s no one wants that sh*t it’s old and over done….. Snyder made Wonder Woman look like a fu*king GOD… that bank scene
Alone over did anything Jenkins done with her… and the decapitation scene I got a fu*king woody … none of Jenkins movies moved me at all not one fu*king bit

They was boring as fu*k…

If dc don’t get it by now they never will…. People want dark content
Joker peace maker type sh*t

Last edited by Ethernine; 12-07-2022 at 07:06 PM..
+17   

2 months ago '17        #9
1Oh 
Props total: 43757 43 K  Slaps total: 1989 1 K
Patty Jenkins hit big with the 1st movie & made something of WW when BVS almost completely sh*t the bed. Then she missed with WW84 on some sophomore jinx sh*t.

I think it's unreasonable to say that she's a bad director/writer. She's clearly capable of making a good movie that brings in bank, she just prolly needs more oversight next time around. They gave her too much free reign with WW84.
+9   

2 months ago '07        #10
Daville502 
Props total: 12842 12 K  Slaps total: 797 797
 Klasicktha1 said
Patty was the wrong mf for the project to begin with
She is a good director but as a story writer she failed. That's the difference between the first movie and 1984. Patty didn't write the first movie which was a lot better.
+15   

2 months ago '04        #11
 1Oh said
Patty Jenkins hit big with the 1st movie & made something of WW when BVS almost completely sh*t the bed. Then she missed with WW84 on some sophomore jinx sh*t.

I think it's unreasonable to say that she's a bad director/writer. She's clearly capable of making a good movie that brings in bank, she just prolly needs more oversight next time around. They gave her too much free reign with WW84.
Studio hijacked WW84. It's pretty much a Geoff Johns film. He also made her changed the 3rd act in the 1st movie.

2 months ago '05        #12
Micheal C. Will  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 140125 140 K  Slaps total: 15324 15 K
No surprised there, didn't even need to announce it.

1984 was not well received.
+4   

2 months ago '04        #13
 Daville502 said
She is a good director but as a story writer she failed. That's the difference between the first movie and 1984. Patty didn't write the first movie which was a lot better.
Geoff Johns wrote the 2nd movie. He needed to stick to writing comics.
+1   

2 months ago '05        #14
Also after reading that piece, DC still looks directionless.

It's been also most two years since Synder was giving one last hurrah with the cut, why these people don't have a new plan already?

+5   

2 months ago '15        #15
L33 
Props total: 794 794  Slaps total: 124 124
 Micheal C. Will said
No surprised there, didn't even need to announce it.

1984 was not well received.
I don't think anybody is looking forward to a third movie. They can try to blame WW84 on the pandemic, but the movie was terrible.
+6   

2 months ago '07        #16
Daville502 
Props total: 12842 12 K  Slaps total: 797 797
 Kadroan said
Geoff Johns wrote the 2nd movie. He needed to stick to writing comics.
He and Patty wrote it.
+1   

2 months ago '04        #17
patt24 
Props total: 18086 18 K  Slaps total: 1737 1 K
2nd movie was franchise k*lling bad, never really expected a 3rd tbh
+5   

2 months ago '05        #18
 L33 said
I don't think anybody is looking forward to a third movie. They can try to blame WW84 on the pandemic, but the movie was terrible.
I damn sure wasn't checking for a new Wonder Woman after 1984. I've been screaming for a new Superman film since 2013

WB/DC just need to find a foundation a build upon that, the people running that place are too scatterbrain and directionless.

sh*t is extremely annoying at this point, I'm tired of hearing what they going do.

Just do it.
+1   

2 months ago '22        #19
Philly Sucks  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 1859 1 K  Slaps total: 954 954
Just like black adams flop

Just like that batwoman sh*t

Spin this idiots
+2   

2 months ago '04        #20
badboy600  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 13692 13 K  Slaps total: 1577 1 K
WW84 is one of the top 10 worst movies I've ever seen.
+6   

2 months ago '17        #21
QdobaCasanova 
Props total: 63209 63 K  Slaps total: 13615 13 K
 badboy600 said
WW84 is one of the top 10 worst movies I've ever seen.
Literally was gonna say it was the worst movie I saw that year

I think 80% of capesh*t is mid but my god if this is the sh*ttiest they can get I have a new found appreciation for cape sh*t.
+2   

2 months ago '17        #22
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 23527 23 K  Slaps total: 2423 2 K
WB is in such sad shape. I really hope Gunn can turn things around, but I don't think that happens by just simply shelving the properties and actors that have already established the brand. Just use them in films with better stories and writing and give everyone a fair chance to right the ship.

2 months ago '20        #23
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x229
Props total: 123131 123 K  Slaps total: 25301 25 K

;t=nb0ag-HBGG1kuD__d-dnRw

2 months ago '10        #24
M2CEO  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 19268 19 K  Slaps total: 3094 3 K
Fans are tired of the woke bullsh*t in superhero movies.

2 months ago '10        #25
Jruk2345 
Props total: 410 410  Slaps total: 60 60
Faith that Gunn can write the ship
Def keep Cavill gadot mamoma recast flash
Hopefully they convince reeves and Pattison to join theDCU
Bring Lobo gorilla grodd and booster gold in the mix
+2   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+41online now  22
Image(s) inside AI shows what Ancient Egypt would look like if it never fell
189 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  18
Feb 3 - 2nd Chinese surveillance balloon spotted over South America, Pentagon ..
166 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  17
Feb 3 - Ohio man dies after being shot by cop as he cleaned out late grandmoth..
56 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  16
Feb 4 - BREAKING: Chinese balloon is expected to be shot down soon
255 comments
18 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy