George Lucas Says There's Only One Correct Order In Which To Watch The Star Wars Films

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

2 months ago '18        #1
3827 page views
78 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x181
Props total: 229186 229 K  Slaps total: 8491 8 K
George Lucas Says There's Only One Correct Order In Which To Watch The Star Wars Films

I watch them as they were released, but have watched them the way they are numbered, either way you get a great film experience.

"When George Lucas' "Star Wars" prequel trilogy came out in the late 90's and early 2000's, the reception was not very warm. With the three original movies considered such unimpeachable classics, expectations were always going to be unfairly high. But despite their predictably great success at the box office, the films were largely received with vitriol and loathing.

When the first of the new films, "Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace” came out, people found the acting flat, the aliens culturally insensitive, and the pod racing sequence too damn long. People hated the Jar Jar Binks character so much that they basically ruined the actor's life.

The next of the new films, "Attack of the Clones," was received no better, and even the legitimately decent third film, "Revenge of the Sith," was lambasted along with the others.*But regardless of how folks felt about the new trilogy, they were part of the "Star Wars" canon now, for better or worse. The appearance of these new chapters in the "Star Wars" story raised some new questions, particularly regarding what order to watch the films in. This opened up a whole new debate about "Star Wars" that rages to this day: in what order should the movies be watched?

Turns out, George Lucas has the firm opinion that there's only one correct way to enjoy the "Star Wars" movies.*

How George Lucas wants you to watch Star Wars

The debate over what is the best order to watch the "Star Wars" films is one that has gone on for years (even the good folks here at /Film have put in our two cents on the issue). There are many different schools of thought, many of which were showcased in a 2015 Vulture piece where celebrities and writers were asked their preferred order of viewing.

For some, like Dennis Quaid and Lin-Manuel Miranda, watching the films in the order they were released is the best tactic. "You start with the original 'Star Wars' movie," said Aaron Paul of "Breaking Bad" fame. "Maybe it's nostalgia. Or maybe it's not even that. I have no idea why I feel this way, but you should watch them in the order they were released."

Members of the Vulture staff had a more complicated view: watch the fourth and fifth movies first, then the three prequels, then the sixth movie. "This way you get to start with two good movies," said Abraham Riesman, a Vulture staff writer. "The Vader reveal is followed by the story of how that's even possible, giving the prequels weight. Then you end with a good movie. No bad movies on either end of the sequence."

But among all of these opinions was hidden that of the big man himself, George Lucas. One would imagine the creator of the series' view of the issue would be the definitive one, and Lucas is a fan of simplicity.*"Start with one. That's the way to do it right: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. That's the way they're supposed to be done. Just because it took a long time to film it doesn't mean you don't do it in order."

The man behind the legacy

For as much as movies are up to interpretation once they're put out into the world by their creators, you have to respect George Lucas' opinion on this matter. Lucas received tons of criticism after the disappointment of the prequel trilogy, having to defend all of his creative choices from a vocal and toxic section of the fanbase. The treatment he received from his previous fans was awful, and Lucas' film career was more or less over after the prequels. I feel that, because of what he's gone through, we all owe Lucas this concession. If he believes the films are best viewed in a certain order, that's what should be done.

Of course, like our universe itself, "Star Wars" is ever-expanding. With the addition of the sequel trilogy in the late 2010's (which also met their fair share of fan backlash) and countless other "Star Wars" projects in the oven, the series' timeline will likely forever be altered and added upon. While the world that George Lucas created is no longer in his hands, we should all appreciate the hours of joy and heated internet discussion that he gave us all, whether or not we're interested in galactic trade agreements."

Read More: visit this link https://www.slashfilm.com .. _campaign=clip

best
worst
78 comments

2 months ago '05        #2
R4P  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 10476 10 K  Slaps total: 1401 1 K
First slap
+12   

2 months ago '22        #3
Jeffrey in 813 
Props total: 4955 4 K  Slaps total: 2519 2 K
Third slap.

We all love George Lucas but no, the correct order is in fact 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3.

And then Rogue One and Solo. That's it.

There are no other Star Wars movies

Part of what made the prequels so awesome was that we all knew Ian McDiarmid/Palpatine was secretly the Emperor/Darth Sidious but he played the role so well that I was constantly second-guessing myself and Ian McDiarmid even said something to the effect of how they told him to play the role as if he wasn't actually the infamous Sith Lord or something like that.
+35   

2 months ago '07        #4
-ThE~DoN~LoN-  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 13098 13 K  Slaps total: 2885 2 K
Man fu*k Liam Neeson... I can never look at Qui Gon Jinn that same ever again.
+10   

2 months ago '04        #5
MosDefinition 
Props total: 15312 15 K  Slaps total: 1958 1 K
 Jeffrey in 813 said
Third slap.

Part of what made the prequels so awesome was that we all knew Ian McDiarmid/Palpatine was secretly the Emperor/Darth Sidious but he played the role so well that I was constantly second-guessing myself and Ian McDiarmid even said something to the effect of how they told him to play the role as if he wasn't actually the infamous Sith Lord or something like that.
Oh you're of those people that pretends the prequels were actually good.

2 months ago '22        #6
Jeffrey in 813 
Props total: 4955 4 K  Slaps total: 2519 2 K
 MosDefinition said
Oh you're of those people that pretends the prequels were actually good.
Still infinitely better than the fan fiction rubbish that was 7-9
+16   

2 months ago '05        #7
Doomque 
Props total: 4303 4 K  Slaps total: 518 518
 Jeffrey in 813 said
fans didn't like 7-9. That was some woke feminist trash from Kathleen Kennedy.
+9   

2 months ago '09        #8
thegoldenhero 
Props total: 50878 50 K  Slaps total: 3942 3 K
1,2,3,Rogue One, 4,5,6 is the order I watch the films.
+11   

2 months ago '04        #9
King Ryan 
Props total: 2855 2 K  Slaps total: 811 811
It's amazing all this sh*t came from this man imagination, i need to write about the sh*t I think about.
+15   

2 months ago '19        #10
ym7171yea  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 24416 24 K  Slaps total: 5733 5 K
All star wars movies are bad I'll start with none and finish with none

If I catch my kids watching that garbage I'm turning it off

2 months ago '04        #11
King Ryan 
Imagine laying on the couch and thinking about people f*ghting in outer space and then telling some studio about the idea and now the whole world worship the idea, simply amazing it can be just that simple.
+10   

2 months ago '14        #12
BasedGawd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x10
Props total: 36160 36 K  Slaps total: 5170 5 K
 Jeffrey in 813 said
Third slap.

Solo doesn't exist either
+3   

2 months ago '22        #13
whatevaitakes  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 9093 9 K  Slaps total: 1018 1 K
 King Ryan said
Imagine laying on the couch and thinking about people f*ghting in outer space and then telling some studio about the idea and now the whole world worship the idea, simply amazing it can be just that simple.
Conversation rules the nation.
+3   

2 months ago '15        #14
Kdub31 
Props total: 26274 26 K  Slaps total: 2404 2 K
After watching all the bullsh*t disney pulled… the Prequel was great and fit with the story…

Only downfall was that he shouldn’t have pussied out and went through with the jar jar binks sith lord storyline
+3   

2 months ago '17        #15
PackerTrelli3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x21
Props total: 148506 148 K  Slaps total: 44887 44 K
 King Ryan said
Lol well it actually isn’t just THAT simple

2 months ago '16        #16
Alexander1226 
Props total: 624 624  Slaps total: 116 116
 -ThE~DoN~LoN- said
Man fu*k Liam Neeson... I can never look at Qui Gon Jinn that same ever again.
Yooooo.. that was him!!
That’s crazy lmao
+1   

2 months ago '04        #17
King Ryan 
 PackerTrelli3 said
Lol well it actually isn’t just THAT simple
You right it could have been a black kid with the idea first without the resources and connection to male it plausible, don't know the background but I can a*sume George Lucas probably had a privilege advantage, but my whole point was that just a person imagination could produce something world renowned it all start with just a thought.
+1   

2 months ago '08        #18
Kewop Decam  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 47667 47 K  Slaps total: 3675 3 K
 Kdub31 said
After watching all the bullsh*t disney pulled… the Prequel was great and fit with the story…

Only downfall was that he shouldn’t have pussied out and went through with the jar jar binks sith lord storyline
wait, that wasn't just an internet meme?

2 months ago '22        #19
TheWorldsGr8est 
Props total: 3029 3 K  Slaps total: 963 963
 Jeffrey in 813 said
Third slap.

Stfu. Senor Lucas had spoken

2 months ago '22        #20
whatevaitakes  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 9093 9 K  Slaps total: 1018 1 K
 King Ryan said
You right it could have been a black kid with the idea first without the resources and connection to male it plausible, don't know the background but I can a*sume George Lucas probably had a privilege advantage, but my whole point was that just a person imagination could produce something world renowned it all start with just a thought.
Your thoughts are the prototype for what your trying to physically manifest. Your entire life depends on your mental direction.

From there words and actual work.
+1   

2 months ago '21        #21
Imheretolaugh 
Props total: 6804 6 K  Slaps total: 479 479
 King Ryan said
the entire world is a thought. which is why they have that cliche saying if u think it, u can achieve it.

everything began with a thought. you literally can do anything u put ur mind to.
+3   

2 months ago '22        #22
ITookTheRedPill 
Props total: 7091 7 K  Slaps total: 4985 4 K
Don't understand the love of these movies. I'm a nerd but this is on another level.

2 months ago '04        #23
MosDefinition 
 Jeffrey in 813 said
Or they are all varying degrees of bad movies and I said this years before

I said when episode 7 dropped that it wasn't good and was basically a cut and paste of the of new hope but y'all loved it on boxden

And the Only people who think episode 1 2 and 3 are good were in kindergarten when episode 1 came out

Fans made movies about how bad those movies were

2 months ago '04        #24
MosDefinition 
 Kdub31 said

They only fit because of a animated series that expanded the story beyond the 3 movies all they key plot points that were missing got filled in so in your head everything now makes sense. The movies without the clone wars are still mediocre at best

2 months ago '14        #25
Sphynx 
Props total: 124676 124 K  Slaps total: 30329 30 K
The kids who grew up with the sequel trilogy will rep it hard in 10 years, same way the kids who grew up with the prequels repped theirs when they became adults
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  15
Image(s) inside Vans x Gallery Dept "Good Luck"
30 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
-52online now  12
Image(s) inside BREAKING: Akademiks talks about Tinashe curving him. "Her loss. Her ca..
88 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
+19online now  10
Jan 29 - Comedian Rickey Smiley shares death of son Brandon Smiley: 'Pray for ..
40 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  9
Image(s) inside Jan 29 - Proof of George Santos racists past revealed in a tweet
99 comments
2 days ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy