Ice Cube Wants ‘Friday’ Franchise Back From Warner Bros: ‘They Need To Do The Right Thing’

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '18        #1
1361 page views
47 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x183
Props total: 230459 230 K  Slaps total: 8505 8 K
Ice Cube Wants ‘Friday’ Franchise Back From Warner Bros: ‘They Need To Do The Right Thing’

"Ice Cube is seeking to regain ownership of his iconic Friday franchise from Warner Bros.

During an appearance on Hotboxin With Mike Tyson, the West Coast legend aired out the company that currently holds the rights to his classic films.

“I don’t know. Warner Brothers is weird right now,” Cube said. “I don’t know what they doing, they don’t know what they doing. We’d love to have it back. I think it’s gon’ be close to a time when we get it back. So, we’ll either wait for that time, or we’ll keep trying to convince them that they need to let us control the movie. It’s my movie, but they have distribution control.”

When asked by Tyson if he’s ever considered purchasing the rights to the films, Ice Cube responded to the former heavyweight boxing champion with an emphatic no.

“I ain’t putting sh*t up for it. fu*k no,” he said. “They need to give it to me, and they gon’ make money. I’m not about to pay for my own stuff, that’s stupid … They need to do the right thing, get it to us, let us turn it into more money, and make the fans happy … We can do a lot with it.”

The Don Mega also noted that he wrote two screenplays for Last Friday which would be the fourth film in the franchise. Cube said that Warner Bros. rejected the first script because “the timing wasn’t right,” and the second script could not get off the ground.

“It was in development hell,” he said, describing his second attempt. “They just kept giving you note after note after note, never giving you the green light.”

While the future of a new Friday film is in limbo, Cube is set to release one of the most ambitious albums in his storied career as a member of Mount Westmore alongside Snoop Dogg, Too $hort, and E-4o. The 16-song tracklist was released on Friday (December 2) and the album drops on December 9.

After the project was initially available on the blockchain under the title Bad MFs over the summer, the highly-anticipated LP will be released to DSPs and will include additional tracks not featured in the previous release."

visit this link https://hiphopdx.com/news .. se-warner-bros
+2   

best
worst
47 comments

2 months ago '12        #2
5E8FW 
Props total: 13153 13 K  Slaps total: 2244 2 K
Scary hours. Does Warner Bros even do Black movies anymore?

Surprised they haven't found a workaround. But they'd probably sabotage that.
+1   

2 months ago '15        #3
g0dfather  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 34411 34 K  Slaps total: 8985 8 K
Buy it back then , how much it would cost 50m ?
+8   

2 months ago '20        #4
Tweezy12  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 82676 82 K  Slaps total: 26409 26 K
Then pay for it.

If you offer its value they'll sell it
+16   

2 months ago '07        #5
tacuna 320 
Props total: 17028 17 K  Slaps total: 3174 3 K
It is way too late, Cube. Should've came with that energy a long time ago before everyone died or became bitter and broke.
+37   

2 months ago '18        #6
antisocial100 
Props total: 25615 25 K  Slaps total: 6670 6 K
Maybe ice cube can get that platinum stimulus from Trump.
+5   

2 months ago '17        #7
Cartel Weekly 
Props total: 3340 3 K  Slaps total: 787 787
SMH he talk all that sh*t and just want them to give it to him? It’s a business pal if you want it buy the sh*t back and I’m sure it’s for sale by his answer which I know he felt away because like you been doing all this complaining why don’t you just buy it? He like naw if they give it to me trust me they’ll make money??? Naw it don’t work like that and he knows it he just being cheap or he probably don’t got it like you would a*sume.
+19   

2 months ago '05        #8
legacy313 
Props total: 14052 14 K  Slaps total: 2160 2 K
Cube is always doing interviews putting people on blast that don’t wanna help him, but have no incentive to do so. Put yourself in a position to make your own moves, or play by the rules. He wants to do everything his way, but still wants them to help him. It doesn’t work like that. The same problem he has with Hollywood execs, is the same problem he has with the NBA not supporting the Big 3. He’s the common denominator
+9   

2 months ago '17        #9
tu calmas  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 36042 36 K  Slaps total: 5569 5 K
Some of these dudes want the company to take the risk on distribution and then when the company succeeds, they want the property back. Same dudes preaching about investment and getting a return hate it when they are the investment & someone gets a return on them.

Also im 10/10 sure that a reboot of Friday would be cheeks like every other reboot made in the last decade
+22   

2 months ago '10        #10
trill jackson  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x66
Props total: 155007 155 K  Slaps total: 16441 16 K
he's right they do need to do the right thing with friday so he could get paid in full but idk if he got enough juice to set it off properly and get the dead presidents he deserves

2 months ago '17        #11
WAVYASSWARREN 
Props total: 13927 13 K  Slaps total: 292 292
Cube gotta L.I.G…we are fine with Friday after next being the fine conclusion to the series of Fridays. Couldn’t imagine them using the name to cast dc young fly as Smokey’s son or something

+10   

2 months ago '06        #12
gettin_doe  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 10690 10 K  Slaps total: 1071 1 K
Did Kanye mention this same sh*t and cube said leave me out of this
+3   

2 months ago '06        #13
whammy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 40028 40 K  Slaps total: 2691 2 K
 antisocial100 said

2 months ago '17        #14
cabeast93 
Props total: 9506 9 K  Slaps total: 1489 1 K
He should start working on something else and be independent. I’m sure he can make another hit.
+5   

2 months ago '05        #15
JimDinO77  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 51321 51 K  Slaps total: 7360 7 K
I don’t get it….. why does it have to be Friday?

The comedians carry those films, fu*k Warner Brothers and fu*k Friday…. get Mike Epps and Katt, it’s already money. Meet the Blacks 2 sucked on paper, but those two talents carried the film enough to be entertaining. Get DJ Pooh, hell, even get Arron Mcgruder involved with the writing. Get the fu*kin Wayans involved. So many YouTube comedians that could play small or even big roles. So many black comedic legends that need work.

Put all of these ideas together, trim the fat, how the fu*k would it fail? It’s frustrating seeing Cube cycle around this same excuse.

Last edited by JimDinO77; 12-03-2022 at 05:13 PM..
+13   

2 months ago '11        #16
CarlozRossi  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 16408 16 K  Slaps total: 2043 2 K
Just leave it alone. I don't think anyone is asking for it. We good with 3.

I wouldn't be mad if they start another franchise with a similar story plot. sh*t call it Saturday.
+15   

2 months ago '05        #17
dj cdm 
Props total: 577 577  Slaps total: 59 59
 antisocial100 said
That sh*t p*ss me off, then he going to say after the backlash I tried to help yall so fu*k yall

2 months ago '04        #18
jholla31 
Props total: 6205 6 K  Slaps total: 820 820
 JimDinO77 said
I don’t get it….. why does it have to be Friday?

The comedians carry those films, fu*k Warner Brothers and fu*k Friday…. get Mike Epps and Katt, it’s already money. Meet the Blacks 2 sucked on paper, but those two talents carried the film enough to be entertaining. Get DJ Pooh, hell, even get Arron Mcgruder involved with the writing. Get the fu*kin Wayans involved. So many YouTube comedians that could play small or even big roles. So many black comedic legends that need work.

Put all of these ideas together, trim the fat, how the fu*k would it fail? It’s frustrating seeing Cube cycle around this same excuse.
name recognition is what he is mostly banking on...

think about it... if coca cola came in a different can.. would it still be coca cola? or just another "sams choice"

like or not, a lot of the consumers in this world are attached to brands and not products.... it works like that in a lot of ways...

I agree, why not make a whole new thing, but people are hard to convince to try something new without thinking its corny... esp in the comedy world.... otherwise we would prob have more major comedies out now like we did in the 90's and 2000's..... its easier to put comedy in a drama vs having a full fledged comedy in 2022
+3   

2 months ago '16        #19
BMC1000  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x20
Props total: 70054 70 K  Slaps total: 12215 12 K
they not in the business of "doing the right thing"

he lost me when he said he didnt want to buy it from them, he said "they should give it to me and they still make money"

that means he just wants creative control and they wont even give him that

bad mindset

thats why warner own it today, cuz cube didnt wanna take the "risk"

and they mad at him for that political sh*t he was doing and his covid stance

he might have to go independent

he need a netflix deal
+3   

2 months ago '04        #20
gimmethat 
Props total: 13621 13 K  Slaps total: 1576 1 K
just curious ...what´s the last big thing Cube did ? or what is he working on ?
+1   

2 months ago '16        #21
NEWYORKTlMES  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 20912 20 K  Slaps total: 4255 4 K
Make all about the Benjamin’s 2
+3   

2 months ago '15        #22
drose1985 
Props total: 52261 52 K  Slaps total: 4972 4 K
Why did he sell it to them in first place lol.
+1   

2 months ago '16        #23
NEWYORKTlMES  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 20912 20 K  Slaps total: 4255 4 K
 gimmethat said
just curious ...what´s the last big thing Cube did ? or what is he working on ?
The big 3
+1   

2 months ago '07        #24
placez 
Props total: 926 926  Slaps total: 290 290
cube broke

2 months ago '17        #25
Mperfection 
Props total: 19620 19 K  Slaps total: 1984 1 K
 jholla31 said
name recognition is what he is mostly banking on...

think about it... if coca cola came in a different can.. would it still be coca cola? or just another "sams choice"

like or not, a lot of the consumers in this world are attached to brands and not products.... it works like that in a lot of ways...

I agree, why not make a whole new thing, but people are hard to convince to try something new without thinking its corny... esp in the comedy world.... otherwise we would prob have more major comedies out now like we did in the 90's and 2000's..... its easier to put comedy in a drama vs having a full fledged comedy in 2022
n*ggas watched barbershop and Janky promoters. While I agree with you in principle, I don't think Friday has such a significant following that people would refuse to watch another hood comedy not named Friday. They've done it several times, successfully.
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  21
Feb 3 - Ohio man dies after being shot by cop as he cleaned out late grandmoth..
57 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  20
Feb 3 - 2nd Chinese surveillance balloon spotted over South America, Pentagon ..
166 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
+41online now  19
Image(s) inside AI shows what Ancient Egypt would look like if it never fell
189 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
online now  13
Feb 4 - BREAKING: Chinese balloon is expected to be shot down soon