Nov 30 - 785000 cable mafia victims.....rapidly escaped the monopoly last quarter

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '09        #1
689 page views
19 comments

messy marv stan  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x93
Props total: 283336 283 K  Slaps total: 30331 30 K
Nov 30 - 785000 cable mafia victims.....rapidly escaped the monopoly last quarter

visit this link https://www.techdirt.com/ .. -last-quarter/

The cord cutting” phenomenon the cable and broadcast sector long denied or downplayed simply shows no sign of slowing down. According to the latest data by Leichtman Research, the top U.S. pay TV companies lost another 785,000 subscribers last quarter as younger Americans continue to shift to streaming video, over the air antennas, or free services like TikTok and YouTube.

While alternative pay TV services (streaming on demand and live streaming) services saw a 701,000 subscriber jump during the third quarter, traditional cable companies lost an estimated 981,674 subscribers depart for greener pastures. Phone companies (AT&T, Verizon) and traditional satellite TV companies (DirecTV, Dish) lost 701,000 paying subscribers during the quarter.

Leichtman’s analysis never really answers why consumers continue to flee traditional cable (high prices, bloated channel bundles, bullsh*t fees, comically terrible customer service), instead only focusing on the fact that this was the third best quarter for streaming services in history:

“Spurred by a strong quarter from Internet-delivered vMVPD services, pay-TV net losses of about 785,000 in 3Q 2022 were more modest than in the first two quarters of the year,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc.

“Not including YouTube TV, which does not regularly report subscriber totals, vMVPDs had nearly 900,000 net additions in the quarter. This was the third most quarterly net adds ever for the top publicly reporting vMVPD services.”

Things are particularly tricky for companies like Comcast and Charter

Generally speaking, their monopoly over broadband access across vast swaths of the country (83 million Americans live under a broadband monopoly) means they can simply recoup their losses by charging captive broadband subscribers more money

Usually this is done via bullsh*t broadband fees and bullsh*t bandwidth usage caps.

But both companies are starting to see a small but meaningful surge in competitive threats coming mainly from two fronts: publicly-owned utilities, cooperatives, and municipalities buoyed by $50 billion in looming COVID relief and infrastructure broadband funding, and wireless companies selling fixed home 5G service.

Neither competitive threat is quite large enough to yet drive wholesale change in the uncompetitive broadband industry, but it’s just enough to make recouping losses on the video side just a bit more annoying for everybody’s favorite, deeply entrenched, government-coddled, natural monopolies.
+5   

best
worst
19 comments

2 months ago '20        #2
Xiox  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 81666 81 K  Slaps total: 14749 14 K
If there was a way to get cheap internet the mafia would suffer
+5   

2 months ago '08        #3
Ridah  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 6501 6 K  Slaps total: 1882 1 K
 Xiox said
Ohh that's not too far from happening too

2 months ago '04        #4
zone3cp 
Props total: 212561 212 K  Slaps total: 21181 21 K
 Xiox said

Bruh the internet is the only reason I have cable. Matter of fact I'm about to see if i can just get that only this morning.
+5   

2 months ago '20        #5
 Ridah said
Ohh that's not too far from happening too
I doubt it but I would like to see a $30 or $40 home internet plan
+1   

2 months ago '07        #6
Damagegadget  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 73024 73 K  Slaps total: 10112 10 K
Cut the cord and realize it’s internet you pay for plug the streaming apps

Repeat apps

And pay the same cost

Be a smart consumer

Cutting the cord is a buzz language that was started by satellite competitors and streaming consumers

Unless you stop watching television programs you ain’t cutting isht
+4   

2 months ago '07        #7
 Xiox said
I doubt it but I would like to see a $30 or $40 home internet plan
There are

But the idea of internet is clearly misunderstood

You all paid 20 for25k. Now you mad you pay 50 for 50mbps

Do the math
+1   

2 months ago '16        #8
kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 170271 170 K  Slaps total: 18537 18 K
 Damagegadget said
Cut the cord and realize it’s internet you pay for plug the streaming apps

Repeat apps

And pay the same cost

Be a smart consumer

Cutting the cord is a buzz language that was started by satellite competitors and streaming consumers

Unless you stop watching television programs you ain’t cutting isht
You know thats not true but people frown on you if they come over and you on all of these random websites watching programs and events.

2 months ago '16        #9
I cut the chord maybe like 8 years ago. I got internet and it dont bother me. I stay by myself tho. If i had to negotiate with kids and or women then i might be in a losing battle.
+3   

2 months ago '05        #10
gregnice631 
Props total: 13222 13 K  Slaps total: 581 581
 zone3cp said
Bruh the internet is the only reason I have cable. Matter of fact I'm about to see if i can just get that only this morning.
i do internet only and the bastards try to charge you more for breaking up their package. f*ght as much as you can for the lower price.
+3   

2 months ago '04        #11
zone3cp 
Props total: 212561 212 K  Slaps total: 21181 21 K
 gregnice631 said
i do internet only and the bastards try to charge you more for breaking up their package. f*ght as much as you can for the lower price.
That part
+1   

2 months ago '20        #12
Will 6g integration bring us better & cheaper plans ?

Last edited by Xiox; 12-03-2022 at 02:55 PM..

2 months ago '05        #13
gregnice631 
Props total: 13222 13 K  Slaps total: 581 581
 Xiox said
Will 6g integration us better & cheaper plans ?
It may, but this is only good for city areas where the coverage is top notch. Too many trees in the suburbs. I even considered t mobile for internet then asked a few people and they said it wasn’t that good. I have a few computers in the house and way too many connected devices to handle that.
+1   

2 months ago '06        #14
Cezaroh 
Props total: 3443 3 K  Slaps total: 703 703
i was dropping 185 a month in direct cut the cord now 30 and got more then I need

2 months ago '15        #15
POTUS2045  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 6873 6 K  Slaps total: 1251 1 K
Seems like a good time to drop Netflix, Hulu, showtime, HBO, Paramount, ESPN/Disney +, and Sling TV for an all in one package with Spectrum for $100/mo

2 months ago '07        #16
 kuul said
You know thats not true but people frown on you if they come over and you on all of these random websites watching programs and events.
No I know the truth because people mistake providers for content creation

HBO, espn.. Viacom etc etc control the cost you pay to watch their programming

That’s literally why Netflix and all these streaming platforms try to create in house content and when they don’t deliver that and fail to purchase new content from the aforementioned people start adding other platforms

Television is television

How and what is delivered is the price factor

That’s why you can get local programming free. But you pay for national syndication.. home box office isn’t owned by any” cable “ company.

Again 20 for 20 kbps

Internet is the expense of most bills that include tv. People pay 200 and think why is my “cable” so expensive but that price includes 300 mbps.. digital recording.. streaming apps.. and additional equipment
Why you think Netflix is cracking down on sharing their access

Lie to yourself not me. Or be a smart consumer already

Cutting the cord was literally started by satellite providers

Dsl companies that use legal speak like “up to” 40 mbps literally indicating sure “internet “ is cheaper cause we can only give you 3 mbps if your luck you might get up to 40

It’s the equivalent of a commission job advertising making up to a million a year but it’s not a guarantee

You can argue with reality not me… people get on the internet and become experts of everything not knowing who they are talking to.

I might be in the business of content providers for all you care to know

This could be my daily operation while your expertise in this field is nothing more than a reaction to a bx post

I a*sure you this article itself serves a marketing/competition purpose

It literally names two companies yet uses mono.. monopoly to describe the cable infrastructure

Which even you can gain access to using the same infrastructure

Simple supply and demand

You can buy Gucci cologne from macys

Or designer imposters at the dollar store

Pay attention

Last edited by Damagegadget; 12-02-2022 at 12:51 AM..

2 months ago '16        #17
 Damagegadget said
No I know the truth because people mistake providers for content creation

HBO, espn.. Viacom etc etc control the cost you pay to watch their programming

That’s literally why Netflix and all these streaming platforms try to create in house content and when they don’t deliver that and fail to purchase new content from the aforementioned people start adding other platforms

Television is television

How and what is delivered is the price factor

That’s why you can get local programming free. But you pay for national syndication.. home box office isn’t owned by any” cable “ company.

Again 20 for 20 kbps

Internet is the expense of most bills that include tv. People pay 200 and think why is my “cable” so expensive but that price includes 300 mbps.. digital recording.. streaming apps.. and additional equipment
Why you think Netflix is cracking down on sharing their access

Lie to yourself not me. Or be a smart consumer already

Cutting the cord was literally started by satellite providers

Dsl companies that use legal speak like “up to” 40 mbps literally indicating sure “internet “ is cheaper cause we can only give you 3 mbps if your luck you might get up to 40

It’s the equivalent of a commission job advertising making up to a million a year but it’s not a guarantee

You can argue with reality not me… people get on the internet and become experts of everything not knowing who they are talking to.

I might be in the business of content providers for all you care to know

This could be my daily operation while your expertise in this field is nothing more than a reaction to a bx post

I a*sure you this article itself serves a marketing/competition purpose
I cut the chord and all i pay is $55 bucks for home internet. I dont subscribe or share password for sh*t. If something happened and they shut down all of my traps then thats the end of that and ill have different hobbies. You getting hoity toity over entertainment. I stopped paying for cable cause i realized the product was irrelevant, all they wanted from me was a $100 for starters every month. Didnt seem like square business to me. If they pro rated some sh*t based on channel selection then maybe i would still have it.
+1   

2 months ago '07        #18
 kuul said
I cut the chord and all i pay is $55 bucks for home internet. I dont subscribe or share password for sh*t. If something happened and they shut down all of my traps then thats the end of that and ill have different hobbies. You getting hoity toity over entertainment. I stopped paying for cable cause i realized the product was irrelevant, all they wanted from me was a $100 for starters every month. Didnt seem like square business to me. If they pro rated some sh*t based on channel selection then maybe i would still have it.
Your internet has a modem that has a cord. You pay for speed not “internet “. So please tell the upload and download

I’m getting hoity toity? Who says that lol I’m giving insider info

Again you pay for content

The “cord” is not the company that produces espn.. hbo.. starz etc etc

The cord is a method to deliver content.. just like an app or a satellite

Again be a smart consumer

Again you can get cheap produce at Walmart or you can get higher quality produce at Whole Foods

Saying cut the cord is the equivalent of sayin you cut the organics

Look do you but too often people on the internet act like experts while you never know who you are talking to

Did I mention I work in the business? Lol

All the hoity toity isht you say I posted and you didn’t address any of it in context

Again people paid 20 dollars for kilobits per second

So since you pay 55 for surely a megabit tier tell when internet has ever been cheap

Even at 55 dollars if you are using the equivalent of Napster for tv content in this age( firestick). You really think the people producing content are going to keep giving it away free lol… even at 25 dollars for multiple steaming TV..TV services you are at 100.

What were you paying for before you let buzz words make you think how internet and tv programming’s method of delivery meant you got away from paying the same thing for .. service levels of the same.. internet and tv content

2 months ago '16        #19
 Damagegadget said
Your internet has a modem that has a cord. You pay for speed not “internet “. So please tell the upload and download

I’m getting hoity toity? Who says that lol I’m giving insider info

Again you pay for content

The “cord” is not the company that produces espn.. hbo.. starz etc etc

The cord is a method to deliver content.. just like an app or a satellite

Again be a smart consumer

Again you can get cheap produce at Walmart or you can get higher quality produce at Whole Foods

Saying cut the cord is the equivalent of sayin you cut the organics

Look do you but too often people on the internet act like experts while you never know who you are talking to

Did I mention I work in the business? Lol

All the hoity toity isht you say I posted and you didn’t address any of it in context

Again people paid 20 dollars for kilobits per second

So since you pay 55 for surely a megabit tier tell when internet has ever been cheap

Even at 55 dollars if you are using the equivalent of Napster for tv content in this age( firestick). You really think the people producing content are going to keep giving it away free lol… even at 25 dollars for multiple steaming TV..TV services you are at 100.

What were you paying for before you let buzz words make you think how internet and tv programming’s method of delivery meant you got away from paying the same thing for .. service levels of the same.. internet and tv content
Cut the chord originated with cable. Its because cable was price gouging. You tryna use your knowledge of entertainment to change the basis of what im saying.

2 months ago '16        #20
Thadudesoofresh 
Props total: 521 521  Slaps total: 84 84
They raised Internet and equipment charges as well as phone so I cut two years ago anyone know they best streaming service to watch live sports and basic cable channels? Thanks
+1   

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+31online now  23
Video inside sh-t starting to grow on me🤬
72 comments
1 day ago
@rides
most viewed right now
online now  19
Image(s) inside Business ideas ??
33 comments
20 hours ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  15
Video inside Conspiracy Night: 2023 Grammys Satanic Breakdown
158 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+44online now  7
Image(s) inside Boom P (Melo Of respect Life) Has Passed Away According To Illa Ghee
110 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy