Oct 6 - NYU Professor Fired for Being Too Hard

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

What say you, BX?

2 months ago '05        #1
3545 page views
88 comments

P DRILLA 
Props total: 27100 27 K  Slaps total: 778 778
Oct 6 - NYU Professor Fired for Being Too Hard

The firing of a New York University (NYU) professor who was the subject of a petition from students who said his class was too hard continues to stoke controversy, as some parents and teachers say the incident points to a lowering of academic standards.
Maitland Jones Jr, a professor of organic chemistry, was fired by NYU after more than 80 students from his 350-student course signed a petition complaining about grades, teaching and help received during the Covid pandemic.
Jones, 84, received a message from the dean of science in August terminating his contract, the New York Times reported.

Chemistry professors opposing the decision wrote to several NYU deans, saying they were worried the case could undermine faculty freedom and weaken proven teaching practices.
“We are all on the same side of wanting students to succeed but we are using misaligned, and in many cases flawed, metrics to evaluate success,” Stephanie Lee, one of the professors who signed the letter, said in a tweet.
“One consequence of this misalignment is that our actions are becoming fear-driven.”
The student petition protested that Jones’s class was too hard and that students lacked resources and help. It did not say the professor should be fired.

We urge you to realize that a class with such a high percentage of withdrawals and low grades has failed to make students’ learning and wellbeing a priority and reflects poorly on the chemistry department as well as the institution as a whole,” the petition read.
Jones, a widely accredited professor known for writing an organic chemistry textbook, told the Times he had been thinking of retiring but was worried what the NYU decision could mean for other professors and faculty.
An NYU spokesperson defended the firing, emphasizing high student withdrawals and bad course evaluations. The statement said the decision was also based on complaints about dismissiveness, unresponsiveness, condescension and lack of transparency about grading.
Some students believe the pandemic completely disrupted their ability to prepare for classes such as organic chemistry, a fundamental course for those hoping to go to medical school.

Some parents are pushing back. Several groups have said the NYU decision is indicative of a problem in a school system they believe is too lenient on students.
“When paying for an education at a reputable university, we should expect quality professors to intellectually challenge our students, helping them to grow by pushing them to stretch beyond what is convenient and comfortable,” Elicia Brand, founder of Army of Parents, told Fox News.

visit this link https://amp.theguardian.c .. udent-petition
+8   

best
worst
88 comments

2 months ago '04        #2
NAKHI ALLAH 
Props total: 72558 72 K  Slaps total: 5041 5 K
Kids today are straight bi*ches
+77   

2 months ago '06        #3
cleavon15  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 5455 5 K  Slaps total: 968 968
Good. You can’t hack organic chemistry at NYU, go pay to be a doctor from ITT.

Hope he wins a suit and NYU takes a hit on its New Ivy status
+35   

2 months ago '22        #4
RockyIII 
Props total: 2441 2 K  Slaps total: 1107 1 K
Everyone thinks they are entitled.. fu*k them students.. put in the fu*king work
+16   

2 months ago '22        #5
Tsuri  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x3
Props total: 4141 4 K  Slaps total: 818 818
 NAKHI ALLAH said
Kids today are straight bi*ches
 cleavon15 said
Good. You can’t hack organic chemistry at NYU, go pay to be a doctor from ITT.

Hope he wins a suit and NYU takes a hit on its New Ivy status
 RockyIII said
Everyone thinks they are entitled.. fu*k them students.. put in the fu*king work
Y'all don't take these type of classes and it shows.

80 kids from NYU, in an Org Chem class, can't just say the Professor ain't sh*t without them having some footing to stand on.

Those are some of the brightest, hardest working, most prepared, students on the planet earth.

If 80 of them all agree a particular class is structured in too difficult of a manner, I'm inclined to believe they are right. This is NYU. This ain't your local fu*king community college.

Thats ORG CHEM at NYU. That class is full of XMEN from all over the planet.

That professor on some bi*ch time. Guaranteed. Get him outta here.

And also, this CANT be the first time someone has complained, I wonder how many classes of kids he's crushed before they finally banded together to bring him down.

Org Chem is already hard enough without your professor sabotaging you along the way. fu*k.That.Guy.
+37   

2 months ago '22        #6
RockyIII 
Props total: 2441 2 K  Slaps total: 1107 1 K
 Tsuri said

80 kids from NYU, in an Org Chem class, can't just say the Professor ain't sh*t without them having some footing to stand on.

Those are some of the brightest, hardest working, most prepared, students on the planet earth.

If 80 of them all agree a particular class is structured in too difficult of a manner, I'm inclined to believe they are right. This is NYU. This ain't your local fu*king community college.

And also, this CANT be the first time someone has complained, I wonder how many classes of kids he's crushed before they finally banded together to bring him down.

Org Chem is already hard enough without your professor sabotaging you along the way. fu*k.That.Guy.
I TOOK those classes.. I worked my fu*king a*s off. Was it hard? Yup… did I pass fu*k YEA I DID If you’re not willing to put in the work don’t cry
+17   

2 months ago '22        #7
Jeffrey in 813 
Props total: 3624 3 K  Slaps total: 1682 1 K
 P DRILLA said
Maitland Jones Jr, a professor of organic chemistry, was fired by NYU after more than 80 students from his 350-student course signed a petition complaining about grades, teaching and help received during the Covid pandemic.
Jones, 84, received a message from the dean of science in August terminating his contract, the New York Times reported.
This old geezer was 84 years old?

I was getting ready to defend the guy until I saw that

Look... I dunno how to say this or if it's always been like this, but... the real purpose of some universities nowadays is to see if you're a full blown genius.

Talk to every person you know whose an engineering major and how REGULARLY they had to take exams and magically possess certain information that WASN'T covered leading up to the exam and/or a ridiculous degree of insight & comprehension that only a super saiyan Jedi master could possess. They'll all tell you the same thing:

Some of these classes you're just not supposed to ace.

They're practically there to see whose a 200+ IQ genius so the pentagon can recruit them into some above-presidential-top-secret-level program involving war with interdimensional alien demons or something

(^^This sounds like a great idea for a comedy btw)

But, seriously. Just like we all know good and well that ALL the professional athletes are on juice, we also know that the only 4 ways you can are:

1. You're literally a genius
2. You're taking adderalls
3. You have literally 0 social life, no jobs, no outside commitments of ANY kind, and absolutely nothing distracting you
4. Or you're cheating

That's it.

Look, do you want a doctor whose absolutely brilliant or do you want some half-assed schmuck?
+11   

2 months ago '22        #8
Jeffrey in 813 
 Tsuri said

BRUH

Finally someone else gets it

Like I mentioned earlier. This guy was 84 years old and still teaching? And like you said... 80 students?

Yeah he was doing something wrong. I've had professors like this. I think we ALL have. I dunno... Is this supposed to be a new thing or something?

Because I swear it's like... They be doing this on purpose with making the exams literally impossible to ace because there's so much sh*t on there that just wasn't gone over in class. PERIOD.
+8   

2 months ago '22        #9
Jeffrey in 813 
 RockyIII said
heads up, Cletus...

I clocked you as a cuck at exactly this part
+3   

2 months ago '06        #10
mrep3  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 27328 27 K  Slaps total: 3076 3 K
Some professors are straight d*cks tho they make sh*t hard for no reason dem n*ggas be ego tripping especially the ones that never had real jobs in the industry they teach, but they teach it for a living he was 84 fire that old fu*k. let a young person get that spot most college students are kids they look at professors as an authoritative figures so they take advantage of that.
+10   

2 months ago '14        #11
Soaring Seagull  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x7
Props total: 33570 33 K  Slaps total: 2721 2 K
He got fired and not a review? Nah something is missing. Probably had a history of complaints before this.
+6   

2 months ago '16        #12
ImChillin2Hard 
Props total: 13566 13 K  Slaps total: 973 973
84?? Hell yeah it’s hard to pass his class.. Biggest challenge is probably staying awake.
+4   

2 months ago '18        #13
Dehone 
Props total: 89297 89 K  Slaps total: 4908 4 K
So you can project your political stance in class and get tenure, but you make some gen Z brats work for a change and you gotta go.

Boomers are right. These younger generations want everything handed to them.

"But....but Boomers didn't have to pay an arm and a leg just to go to college"

They also didn't have search engines, quizlets and grammerly. They actually had to crack open books, use bookmarkers and highlighters to document their sources. They had to work for their degrees a bit harder

fu*king participation trophy culture

2 months ago '14        #14
"An NYU spokesperson defended the firing, emphasizing high student withdrawals and bad course evaluations". There it is. Students withdrawing like flies and if this was also based on course evals then that means me he had a History of complaints.
+11   

2 months ago '14        #15
 Dehone said
So you can project your political stance in class and get tenure, but you make some gen Z brats work for a change and you gotta go.

Boomers are right. These younger generations want everything handed to them.

"But....but Boomers didn't have to pay an arm and a leg just to go to college"

They also didn't have search engines, quizlets and grammerly. They actually had to crack open books, use bookmarkers and highlighters to document their sources.

fu*king participation trophy culture

I think yo in gotta re-read the article plair
+1   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '22        #16
BreakkerSzn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x29
Props total: 71255 71 K  Slaps total: 40756 40 K

2 months ago '18        #17
Dehone 
Props total: 89297 89 K  Slaps total: 4908 4 K
 Soaring Seagull said
I think yo in gotta re-read the article plair
Eh, petition didn't push for firing so i can't put that on the kids I guess. How an acclaimed professor can go from that to a bad professor makes me think these kids can't hack it like classes of years past. Or the professor just became a total d*ck in recent years.
+3   

2 months ago '12        #18
daman729 
Props total: 118919 118 K  Slaps total: 4733 4 K
I can honestly tell you. Some professors are full of sh*t. And they deliberately give sudents a hard time. Uncessary work, over the top academic requirements, etc. Some of them walk in arrogancy and like to flaunt power. Ive seen that sh*t happen. Ive even seen professors give students good grades for personal favors lol.

Last edited by daman729; 10-07-2022 at 07:53 AM..
+12   

2 months ago '14        #19
 Dehone said
Eh, petition didn't push for firing so i can't put that on the kids I guess. How an acclaimed professor can go from that to a bad professor makes me think these kids can't hack it like classes of years past. Or the professor just became a total d*ck in recent years.
I thought about and you are right though. I guess I didn't consider how long he was tenured like it sounds like he had at least a recent history of complaints but that could still be chalked up to either the younger generation not hacking or my man's being a little to "idgaf" in his old age.

2 months ago '11        #20
UrDoinGood  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 14579 14 K  Slaps total: 2886 2 K
84 years old lmao yeah foh OG
+3   

2 months ago '14        #21
 daman729 said
I can honestly tell you. Some professors are full of sh*t. And they deliberately give sudents a hard time. Uncessary work, over the top academic requirements, etc. Some of them walk in arrogancy and like to flaunt power. Ive seen that sh*t happen. Ive even seen professor give students grades for favors lol.
Took a biological basis of behavior class and the professor came in day one and said "my name is DR. ____. NOT professor. NOT Ms or Mrs. I didn't go through the years of hard work to be called Ms. ". Knew right off the bat it was gonna be hard. Most students passes with a C. Thinking back it was a shame too because older me would've liked to understand that class but back then I was just trying not to fail.
+5   

2 months ago '09        #22
TheNetworkBlast  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 12270 12 K  Slaps total: 932 932
 daman729 said
I can honestly tell you. Some professors are full of sh*t. And they deliberately give sudents a hard time. Uncessary work, over the top academic requirements, etc. Some of them walk in arrogancy and like to flaunt power. Ive seen that sh*t happen. Ive even seen professor give students grades for favors lol.
sophomore more year in college..damn physics teacher from africa...you know what fu*k it nevermind let's just say 80 percent of the class flunked the fu*k out that sh*t but i didn't let it stop me
+3   

2 months ago '17        #23
WHATEVERMAN 
Props total: 22739 22 K  Slaps total: 2333 2 K
How did I know it'd be an O-chem professor. I didn't major in engineering, but all my homies that did would regularly complain about there "chem labs" and how hard o-chem was. I don't think that's something unique to that professor, organic chemistry is just a really tough subject in general. That's why there's a curve.
+4   

2 months ago '15        #24
naledgestate 
Props total: 37946 37 K  Slaps total: 3383 3 K
 daman729 said
I had an Epidemiology professor straight up tell us on our first day of orientation that you couldn't miss class unless you're dead or dying.

She was dead a*s serious. Had us shooketh
+5   

2 months ago '04        #25
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 37903 37 K  Slaps total: 6491 6 K
if anything the professor went out with a bang. thats an honor imo

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+54online now  36
Dec 3 - Man shot and k*lled for holding elevator door open for group of women&..
172 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
online now  21
Video inside Takeoff Alleged k*ller Applied for Emergency Passport & Booked Flight t..
119 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
online now  15
BREAKING: Deion Sanders preparing to accept Colorado coaching job Ԏ..
430 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
-66online now  15
Article inside 🚨#DripChecc Baggy jeans is the wave for 2023🌊🌊..
158 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy