The Alchemist "I Still Feel Like a Student"

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT
most viewed right now
78 replies  @movies

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section hiphop

2 months ago '18        #1
719 page views
19 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x173
Props total: 219813 219 K  Slaps total: 8102 8 K
The Alchemist "I Still Feel Like a Student"

"The Alchemist noticed a trend. The prolific producer of everyone from Mobb Deep to Jadakiss realized that fans gravitated toward his posts about making beats.

That realization led to The Alchemist’s collaboration with Aulart, which is set to release his 23-chapter production Masterclass October 6.

“I feel like a lot of this footage is stuff people always wanted to see,” says The Alchemist, whose Masterclass clocks in at nearly five hours and includes segments on his MPC techniques and stacking vocals.

“Anytime I would post a little video of me making the beat, it would be the most-viewed stuff on social media that I would post on my page. So this is that like times 10. If anybody likes sh*t like that, this is a way more comprehensive look into that type of thing.”

The Alchemist’s Masterclass traverses a wide range of sampling topics, from digging for samples — and his favorite samples — to the evolution of sampling, itself. He also wanted to focus on the business of producing, which is why there are chapters on "Branding Yourself As A Producer," "Monetizing Your Brand," and Alternative Revenue Streams. As he breaks down each topic, The Alchemist wanted to be sure to deliver information that could help everyone from a novice beatmaker, to someone who is looking for new techniques, to elevate their craft.

“There's enough ground floor fundamentals that I could show people,” The Alchemist explains. “There's so many levels that we've climbed and traveled when you do music. You keep climbing up to different levels and doing different things. Some of the stuff that I may feel is like mad simple or elementary, ’cause it was from my early stages, it is not always as simple to everyone else. So, I've realized that when I strip it down, there's a lot of things that are kind of a*sumed and just second nature to people who've been producing and making music for a long time. But a lot of that stuff is actually really informative and can help give people a starting point. Of course, there's things that I do that I can't even explain that are unique to what makes me and my style."

“Even if you know the technique, the way you do it is what makes it the style,” he continues. “There's a lot of tricks that I share. There's some stuff that I keep unique to me. On the ground floor, there's a lot of stuff that's really helpful and could kind of give you a starting point similar to what I had when I was just studying producers like [DJ] Premier and others, and just needed a starting point.”

Throughout his career, The Alchemist has worked with many of rap’s elite talent — rising from his work as a member of The Whooliganz and early beat work for Dilated Peoples and Defari in the 1990s — to his recent collaborations with Kendrick Lamar and Roc Marciano, among others.

In between, he produced Nas’ “My Will,” and ScHoolboy Q’s “Kno Ya Wrong.” In his Masterclass, The Alchemist does a detailed track review of each of those two tracks, providing an unparalleled look into his creative process and his evolution as a producer.

“There's phases,” The Alchemist says. “When you're a student, you develop your style. You become your own thing. Later on, you become a teacher and then you're teaching. If you get past that teaching stage, you get to a stage where the student becomes a teacher. Now, if you're wise enough, you can learn from your students. That's the final stage. Those are all stages that I think are vital. I feel like if you could get to that stage where you're a teacher but you're learning from your students, that's the final [part of the] full process. I feel like I'm getting to that place now. I learn a lot from the young friends of mine who do things differently. I don't ever feel like my knowledge and what I've been through makes me more superior or able to veto somebody else and say, ‘Nah. Nah. I've done this.’ I'm at the stage now where I can teach, but I can also sit back and learn from students.”

One reason The Alchemist thinks his Aulart Masterclass is appealing is because it’s the type of thing he watches online, both as a consumer and as a student of the craft.

“I'm a fan of stuff like this,” The Alchemist says.

“I feel I'm still a student, like I'm always still learning, but I feel like I'm at a point where I could give some insight to people who are getting started, who wanna get some ideas. When I was young coming up, I didn't really have something like this. I wish I had. I had to figure things out on my own. At this point, I think it it's a good time for me to do it and try to give a little roadmap and inspiration for some guys that are coming up. It’s for people who are interested and also to help keep the style going, to pass the baton and see if anyone is interested in the way I do my sh*t and get some pointers. This is the type of sh*t that I deal with friends of mine and people I know. We always share tricks and things of that nature.”

The Alchemist's Masterclass is available here.
visit this link https://www.aulart.com/ma .. g-for-hip-hop/

visit this link https://rockthebells.com/ .. lass-interview
+11   

best
worst
19 comments

2 months ago '19        #2
Immersion Vox 
Props total: 12028 12 K  Slaps total: 1330 1 K
I ain't tryna sh*t on Al, but yeah I hope he'd be honest & demystify this
+2   

2 months ago '04        #3
xbossxplayax 
Props total: 37904 37 K  Slaps total: 6491 6 K
ppl with lifelong learning mindset usually strive and prosper

being stagnant is sooo comfortable. guess thats why not everyone lasts
+3   

2 months ago '16        #4
AfroBucks88  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x5
Props total: 136991 136 K  Slaps total: 4789 4 K

2 months ago '04        #5
MegaTON 
Props total: 27991 27 K  Slaps total: 4788 4 K
 Immersion Vox said
I ain't tryna sh*t on Al, but yeah I hope he'd be honest & demystify this
not happenin lol i commented on a video of him n araabmuzik explaining a technique that they removed the audio from and in return they deleted my comment lol

the class will definitely be helpful to people that only know of fl studio/newer mpc's/maschine and sh*t

but u gonna learn all that sh*t if u put the time in anyway
+2   

2 months ago '06        #6
Badnewz100  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 173527 173 K  Slaps total: 2481 2 K
Been a student since The Realest with the Mobb.

2 months ago '15        #7
Hellmatic 
Props total: 68981 68 K  Slaps total: 6156 6 K
 MegaTON said
not happenin lol i commented on a video of him n araabmuzik explaining a technique that they removed the audio from and in return they deleted my comment lol

the class will definitely be helpful to people that only know of fl studio/newer mpc's/maschine and sh*t

but u gonna learn all that sh*t if u put the time in anyway
What technique did he do there that he didnt want divulged exactly?

2 months ago '21        #8
Still2Highh  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 47664 47 K  Slaps total: 6482 6 K

Came a lonnnnng way n still got the same fu*kin ASR 10
+1   

2 months ago '04        #9
MegaTON 
 Hellmatic said
What technique did he do there that he didnt want divulged exactly?
do u make beats?

the part at 1:35 was muted for years and just recently got put out on the full video

i even added more than what they were talkin about in the commented that got deleted tho

they basically quantize the one (the one being the main loop in most cases, starting on the 1.1 of the sequence) and add the drums around it, they say "dont quantize" but fail to mention that they still quantize the 1

Last edited by MegaTON; 10-05-2022 at 12:55 AM..
+4   

2 months ago '15        #10
Hellmatic 
 MegaTON said
do u make beats?

the part at 1:35 was muted for years and just recently got put out on the full video
Nah. But there was a time where I was trying to make beats and I learned different ways and things of doing. The most basic is the using a low pass filter on the song and using that as the bass.

With the timing he means that it's not quantified in each pad?

Edit: just read your explanation

Last edited by Hellmatic; 10-05-2022 at 01:01 AM..

2 months ago '04        #11
MegaTON 
 Hellmatic said
Nah. But there was a time where I was trying to make beats and I learned different ways and things of doing. The most basic is the using a low pass filter on the song and using that as the bass.

With the timing he means that it's not quantified in each pad?

Edit: he talking about the timing of the metronome I think
nah quantize will basically map the beat out for you and keep it on time, most people quantize to the 8th or 16th note (think 3 6 mafia beats)

yeah the metronome is a big part of it, basically sticks the notes your playing to a quantization of the metronome, ex. if you're playin we will rock you drums you'd only quantize to the 8th note cuz its just boom-boom clap

hi-hat rolls n things like that are quantized too because they're just samples played on "note repeat" to the beat of the metronome you choose (you can have the note repeat on 8th/16th/32nd/64th or 3rds of those (repeats the same sample over and over until you let go of the note-repeat button)
+1   

2 months ago '18        #12
Rugby Jones  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 61350 61 K  Slaps total: 9337 9 K
Greatest Jew in hip hop EVER !!###!!!!

2 months ago '15        #13
Hellmatic 
 MegaTON said
nah quantize will basically map the beat out for you and keep it on time, most people quantize to the 8th or 16th note (think 3 6 mafia beats)

yeah the metronome is a big part of it, basically sticks the notes your playing to a quantization of the metronome, ex. if you're playin we will rock you drums you'd only quantize to the 8th note cuz its just boom-boom clap

hi-hat rolls n things like that are quantized too because they're just samples played on "note repeat" to the beat of the metronome you choose (you can have the note repeat on 8th/16th/32nd/64th or 3rds of those (repeats the same sample over and over until you let go of the note-repeat button)
Oh ok I get it. I didn't know quantifying the beat itself was an actual thing. I know dilla and them didn't quantization the drums. But that worked for that style of rap

2 months ago '04        #14
MegaTON 
 Hellmatic said
Oh ok I get it. I didn't know quantifying the beat itself was an actual thing. I know dilla and them didn't quantization the drums. But that worked for that style of rap
yeah theres ways around it too lol, sometimes playin live just doesn't cut it and you can quantize it by copying the sample twice and changing the starting point of the sample using the ending point of the first sample, i know it sounds dumb as hell but it works perfectly
+1   

Top 10 most slapped recently  2 months ago '22        #15
BreakkerSzn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x31
Props total: 72372 72 K  Slaps total: 41826 41 K

2 months ago '07        #16
dnycem 
Props total: 6495 6 K  Slaps total: 969 969

2 months ago '12        #17
Ethan Hunt  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x133
Props total: 107421 107 K  Slaps total: 7239 7 K
Legend
+1   

2 months ago '04        #18
Dash  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 105140 105 K  Slaps total: 7276 7 K
Might b greater than primo at this point

2 months ago '18        #19
Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x173 OP
Props total: 219813 219 K  Slaps total: 8102 8 K

2 months ago '21        #20
ATMBEATZ 
Props total: 12781 12 K  Slaps total: 972 972
good, alch always being a wise a*s when you ask questions bout music

guess he knows all the people asking if he can get like %10 to pay up

that's decent income lol

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+68online now  32
Crazy fact about the Dream Team
60 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
+61online now  28
Video inside Lizzo gets ethered x100 by BX incel
151 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+16online now  19
Greyhill Incident Official 'Invasion' Gameplay Trailer (New Horror FPS Game 20..
32 comments
20 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
+22online now  13
Dec 5 - U.S. employees getting lazy, "hustle culture" disappearing
219 comments
23 hours ago
@news
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy