Oct 2 - Hackers Release Stolen Data After LA School District Refuses to Pay Ransom

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

most viewed right now
48 replies  @hiphop

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section news

2 months ago '17        #1
3714 page views
50 comments

Mozzie  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 36133 36 K  Slaps total: 3597 3 K
Oct 2 - Hackers Release Stolen Data After LA School District Refuses to Pay Ransom

LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Hackers have released data stolen in a cyberattack against the Los Angeles Unified School District, Superintendent Alberto Carvalho confirmed Sunday.

"Unfortunately, as expected, data was recently released by a criminal organization," Carvalho said in a statement. "In partnership with law enforcement, our experts are analyzing the full extent of this data release."

The data was released Saturday -- two days before a deadline previously given by the hackers -- after Carvalho's stated refusal to pay ransom to an international hacking syndicate.

The group claiming responsibility for the cyberattack had previously set a Monday deadline for the district pay a ransom to the organization.

In a dark web post detected and reprinted by Brett Callow of the cybersecurity firm Emsisoft, the hacking syndicate Vice Society listed the LAUSD as one of "our partners," and stated, "The papers will be published by London time on October 4, 2022 at 12:00 a.m."

The post did not give any indication about what information had been obtained or what would be published.

Carvalho previously acknowledged that the district received a ransom demand from the group responsible for the Labor Day weekend hack -- which he declined to name.

"We can acknowledge ... that there has been communication from this actor (hacker) and we have been responsive without engaging in any type of negotiations," he told reporters. "With that said, we can acknowledge at this point ... that a financial demand has been made by this entity. We have not responded to that demand."

He did not provide specifics about the demand.

Carvalho told the Los Angeles Times on Friday that the district would not pay the ransom demand or negotiate with the hackers.

"What I can tell you is that the demand -- any demand -- would be absurd," he told the Times. "But this level of demand was, quite frankly, insulting. And we're not about to enter into negotiations with that type of entity."

A hotline will be available starting Monday at 6:00 a.m.

"This hotline will a*sist those from our school communities who may have questions or need additional support," Carvalho said.

The telephone number for the incident response hotline is (855) 926-1129. Hours of operation will be 6:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding major U.S. holidays.

visit this link https://abc7.com/lausd-ha .. -web/12288538/

+20   

best
worst
50 comments

2 months ago '10        #2
6.Yrs 
Props total: 36053 36 K  Slaps total: 1923 1 K
Everybody should ignore these hackers 100 percent of the time.

Tell everybody to change their passwords, Take your L, and move on.
+19   

2 months ago '16        #3
kuul  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x12
Props total: 158927 158 K  Slaps total: 17277 17 K
Shaking down a school? If it aint trump university you goin to hell.
+16   

2 months ago '10        #4
Big Louie Guwop  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x6
Props total: 56676 56 K  Slaps total: 7248 7 K
The bi*ch in the last tweet is a dumb mfer
+36   

2 months ago '22        #5
JimmyCrackCorn 
Props total: 876 876  Slaps total: 76 76
 6.Yrs said

It ain't the password, its the data. If I get in your house, took all your sh*t, and then charge you for it's return, you changing the locks does nothing. Especially if the way I got in had nothing to do with the door.

In a lot of cases, it's cheaper to pay up. The FBI and CISA say to not pay but when your entire hospital is at a standstill and the cost to rebuild your infrastructure is in the 100s of thousands, not to mention time and data loss....you coming right out the pocket.
+34   

2 months ago '18        #6
Browneyezz 
Props total: 1192 1 K  Slaps total: 70 70
 JimmyCrackCorn said
It ain't the password, its the data. If I get in your house, took all your sh*t, and then charge you for it's return, you changing the locks does nothing. Especially if the way I got in had nothing to do with the door.

In a lot of cases, it's cheaper to pay up. The FBI and CISA say to not pay but when your entire hospital is at a standstill and the cost to rebuild your infrastructure is in the 100s of thousands, not to mention time and data loss....you coming right out the pocket.
Yup! This is exactly why medical facilities are targeted so much, not to mention they have all patients sensitive data in their charts. Easy full profiles there. What ppl dont realize is when hackers take your full profile chances are they will sit on it and use it for other illicit activity so it goes beyond that change password bs someone is mentioning above
+20   

Top 10 most propped recently  2 months ago '22        #7
BreakkerSzn  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x26
Props total: 66995 66 K  Slaps total: 38825 38 K
Did that lady in the last tweet just give out all her info out on the net??
+7   

2 months ago '17        #8
FCWGM 
Props total: 16060 16 K  Slaps total: 1396 1 K
A software my job uses got hacked with ransomware and I think they had to pay

So best believe these scammers are getting paid!
+8   

2 months ago '22        #9
JimmyCrackCorn 
Props total: 876 876  Slaps total: 76 76
 FCWGM said
A software my job uses got hacked with ransomware and I think they had to pay

So best believe these scammers are getting paid!
The number I remember hearing at OWASP last month was like 300 million in 2020.

Average payment in 2021 was 570,000, with the average demand a 5.3 mill.

paid 40 mill last year.

If they will pay 40 mill, imagine what it is really worth
+4   

2 months ago '10        #10
6.Yrs 
Props total: 36053 36 K  Slaps total: 1923 1 K
 JimmyCrackCorn said

You right.
+1   

2 months ago '20        #11
And Then antien 
Props total: 551 551  Slaps total: 75 75
How did they expect LA public school to have money?? hello?
+7   

2 months ago '05        #12
SupaMann 
Props total: 3303 3 K  Slaps total: 143 143
Damn Carvalho...first year at the job. Shoula stayed in Miami.
+2   

2 months ago '20        #13
Uncle Kool Aid  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 6049 6 K  Slaps total: 2172 2 K
 BreakkerSzn said
Did that lady in the last tweet just give out all her info out on the net??
How

2 months ago '13        #14
darkkingtrey 
Props total: 3155 3 K  Slaps total: 83 83
I was trying to be a cloud admin/engineer but cyber security might be the wave lol. So many people getting hacked damn.
+4   

2 months ago '18        #15
ANONThuMz 
Props total: 16409 16 K  Slaps total: 1005 1 K
 And Then antien said

+5   

2 months ago '09        #16
Msfourfteleven 
Props total: 2560 2 K  Slaps total: 191 191
 Browneyezz said
Yup! This is exactly why medical facilities are targeted so much, not to mention they have all patients sensitive data in their charts. Easy full profiles there. What ppl dont realize is when hackers take your full profile chances are they will sit on it and use it for other illicit activity so it goes beyond that change password bs someone is mentioning above
This is true, the weekend before I was going in the hospital for a scheduled surgery, the hospital system got hacked. Talk about going back to the Stone Age. They had to go down to dry erase boards and TONS of paper to even function. Since my surgery was considered elective, I was surprised I still had it because they were canceling them left and right. They were down for months dealing with the rebuild.
+4   

2 months ago '12        #17
daman729 
Props total: 118534 118 K  Slaps total: 4717 4 K
I got a homie in Cyber Security. The public would be surprised at what these mfs can do and the sh*t they can hack/compromise lol.

Last edited by daman729; 10-03-2022 at 08:15 AM..
+8   

2 months ago '17        #18
OGMiamishank 
Props total: 32674 32 K  Slaps total: 5962 5 K
 Big Louie Guwop said
The bi*ch in the last tweet is a dumb mfer
If 110 nuggets was 11$ bi*ch need to let them have it
+9   

2 months ago '17        #19
OGMiamishank 
Props total: 32674 32 K  Slaps total: 5962 5 K
 kuul said
Shaking down a school? If it aint trump university you goin to hell.
Not with that white is right curriculum their teaching. Nah tear that whole system down they aren't giving these little retards homework or teaching them how to read or write in cursive. Somebody needed captions for a handwritten letter in perfect perfect penmanship.

2 months ago '17        #20
Willy Boban  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 69898 69 K  Slaps total: 15632 15 K
Deleted

2 months ago '17        #21
Willy Boban  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x11
Props total: 69898 69 K  Slaps total: 15632 15 K
 And Then antien said
This

2 months ago '18        #22
ShoePacShoeKur 
Props total: 3391 3 K  Slaps total: 618 618
Carvahalo is trash

He tried to keep it under wraps when our system was down since Thursday and didnt make a statement till Sunday night.

If they got SSN then it’s our info. We don’t ask for ssn of our students

There’s also a lot of legal info on welligent and students can be exposed for services and incidents that aren’t supposed to be shared with outside agencies.

And they know we’re sitting on 50 bill of Covid funds
+1   

2 months ago '05        #23
Double M Set  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18485 18 K  Slaps total: 3175 3 K
I’m In The Wrong Profession

2 months ago '16        #24
Brucebaner2 
Props total: 18169 18 K  Slaps total: 6033 6 K
 6.Yrs said

Who should ignore them? The companies? It's against the law.

2 months ago '16        #25
PrinceDreSON 
Props total: 10683 10 K  Slaps total: 2520 2 K
 OGMiamishank said
Not with that white is right curriculum their teaching. Nah tear that whole system down they aren't giving these little retards homework or teaching them how to read or write in cursive. Somebody needed captions for a handwritten letter in perfect perfect penmanship.
Tf you talking bout its Cali. Not deep south

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
+47online now  48
Video inside Desi talks about going to Africa and being mesmerized by a woman he was..
58 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+71online now  33
One of the greatest, intentionally stupid movies ever made.
56 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
+41online now  27
salehe bembury 990v2
27 comments
20 hours ago
@gear
most viewed right now
+125online now  22
Mexican Actor in the movie black panther calls out Mexico media for being racist
131 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
register register Follow BX @ Twitter search BX privacyprivacy