Jim Ryan flew to Brussels to complain to EU regulators about the Microsoft-Activision deal

ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  x1   |  0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section games

2 months ago '12        #1
1330 page views
35 comments

Faythung  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 32002 32 K  Slaps total: 2867 2 K
Jim Ryan flew to Brussels to complain to EU regulators about the Microsoft-Activision deal

PlayStation boss Jim Ryan reportedly flew to Brussels last month to meet with European Union regulators currently scrutinising Microsoft’s proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

According to Dealreporter sources (paywalled), the Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO personally visited the EU headquarters on September 8 to voice the console rival’s concerns over the proposed $68.7 billion deal.

As has been widely publicised in recent weeks, PlayStation’s concerns over the deal are around the future release arrangements for the Call of Duty series – which is regularly PlayStation’s annual best-seller – and whether it will be pulled from their platforms.

Google is also said to have voiced its concerns to EU regulators, according to the same sources.

Last month, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said Microsoft had committed to making Call of Duty available on PlayStation for “several more years” after Sony’s current marketing deal with Activision expires.

However, SIE CEO Ryan, who is reportedly seeking access to future Call of Duty games on equal terms and in perpetuity, responded publicly by calling Microsoft’s proposal for keeping the series on PlayStation consoles “inadequate on many levels”.

Later the same month, Sony welcomed to the news that the UK competition regulator has launched an in-depth probe of Microsoft’s Activision Blizzard deal.

“By giving Microsoft control of Activision games like Call of Duty, this deal would have major negative implications for gamers and the future of the gaming industry,” it claimed.

“We want to guarantee PlayStation gamers continue to have the highest quality gaming experience, and we appreciate the CMA’s focus on protecting gamers.”

The current Call of Duty deal between Sony and Activision is believed to cover this year’s Modern Warfare 2 and Warzone 2, and a new game from Black Ops developer Treyarch, which may not arrive until 2024.

The latest report comes after Microsoft officially filed its case for its proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard with the European Commission.

In a filing on Friday, the European competition watchdog confirmed it has set a provisional deadline of November 8 to clear the $68.7 billion deal or choose to enter a second, more detailed investigation phase.

Over the coming weeks the European Commission will analyse the deal during what’s called a ‘phase I’ review.
visit this link https://www.videogameschr .. tivision-deal/
+3   

best
worst
35 comments

2 months ago '20        #2
D1dnt read  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33052 33 K  Slaps total: 10334 10 K
in b4 boxden's resident minimum wage workers chime in on this business decision

2 months ago '04        #3
KURUPTION!!! 
Props total: 7454 7 K  Slaps total: 469 469
I guess you got to protect the brand.

2 months ago '22        #4
God Bless 
Props total: 9607 9 K  Slaps total: 7956 7 K
I'm gonna wait for the delivery drivers to chime in with their extensive knowledge of foreign government policy regarding corporate acquisitions before I give my opinion

God bless

2 months ago '20        #5
5ive04our  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x224
Props total: 118769 118 K  Slaps total: 24424 24 K
 D1dnt read said

Ok I see why you ain’t chime in on the matter.

Boy came with the shields early

+10   

2 months ago '18        #6
Juliette DaBlok  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x4
Props total: 50978 50 K  Slaps total: 7633 7 K
 D1dnt read said

The irony
+12   

2 months ago '11        #7
Ejoly 
Props total: 1092 1 K  Slaps total: 904 904
Sony so salty. Pulling any trick they can, let's head to Hogwarts and try to save COD
+6   

2 months ago '20        #8
D1dnt read  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 33052 33 K  Slaps total: 10334 10 K
 5ive04our said

theres the first one to get things started

2 months ago '17        #9
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 247201 247 K  Slaps total: 21054 21 K
Ooh, they big scared.
+10   

2 months ago '17        #10
Lazy  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 47712 47 K  Slaps total: 6679 6 K
 D1dnt read said

+1   

2 months ago '21        #11
Popolo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 27770 27 K  Slaps total: 3517 3 K

+4   

2 months ago '17        #12
1Oh 
Props total: 42946 42 K  Slaps total: 1961 1 K
Why they goin so hard for the block, I thought COD was dead.

+9   

2 months ago '14        #13
Epitome 
Props total: 7816 7 K  Slaps total: 1712 1 K
Yo COD and Microsoft got multimillionaires in they damn feelings hard as fu*k, u can't make this sh*t up
+6   

2 months ago '17        #14
Naga Sadow  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x23
Props total: 247201 247 K  Slaps total: 21054 21 K
 D1dnt read said

If you wanna be a hoe go head and don't be scared.

+3   

2 months ago '08        #15
Kewop Decam  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 46015 46 K  Slaps total: 3569 3 K
I’m not going to lie… I ain’t think everyone would cry this much about this purchase.
+9   

2 months ago '18        #16
Oswaldgatesjr  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x13
Props total: 76378 76 K  Slaps total: 25257 25 K
 5ive04our said

+3   

2 months ago '05        #17
Krazie 
Props total: 56115 56 K  Slaps total: 9306 9 K
No wonder why his followers are so bi*chmade
+6   

2 months ago '05        #18
landlord151515 
Props total: 9026 9 K  Slaps total: 683 683
All this to prevent the 4th best from getting a game that PS fanboys are boycotting anyway...

+5   

2 months ago '12        #19
Faythung  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2 OP
 Kewop Decam said
I’m not going to lie… I ain’t think everyone would cry this much about this purchase.
Pretty sure Call of Duty makes Sony more money than any other game.

Last edited by Faythung; 10-02-2022 at 08:02 AM..

2 months ago '08        #20
 Faythung said
Pretty sure Call of Duty makes Sony more money than any other game.
As crazy as this sounds… it’s probably not top 3. Fortnite probably is then maybe Genshin impact and there is a game Sony owns on mobile that made like 4 billion.

And this is knowing Activision themselves made 1.2 bill last year I believe FROM Sony on COD. Which means maybe Sony made half if not less.

Fortnite is damn near Sony’s splash screen on the PS5, lol. Fortnite on iOS when it was there was making 50 mill a month. Sony is probably at least 2x that

But my point isn’t solely about Sony. It’s everyone complaining about this deal which the complaint is literally just about COD, lol. Not Overwatch, Warcraft, nothing Blizzard has… just COD. Crazy

Last edited by Kewop Decam; 10-02-2022 at 08:24 AM..

2 months ago '12        #21
 Kewop Decam said
As crazy as this sounds… it’s probably not top 3. Fortnite probably is then maybe Genshin impact and there is a game Sony owns on mobile that made like 4 billion.

And this is knowing Activision themselves made 1.2 bill last year I believe FROM Sony on COD. Which means maybe Sony made half if not less.

Fortnite is damn near Sony’s splash screen on the PS5, lol. Fortnite on iOS when it was there was making 50 mill a month. Sony is probably at least 2x that

But my point isn’t solely about Sony. It’s everyone complaining about this deal which the complaint is literally just about COD, lol. Not Overwatch, Warcraft, nothing Blizzard has… just COD. Crazy
It's the best selling game on PlayStation every year and Sony makes like 40% of it's total money from microtransactions, which CoD has a big player base that partakes. I'm not at all surprised they're doing everything they can to keep the ball in their court, the game makes them a lot of money.

2 months ago '08        #22
 Faythung said
It's the best selling game on PlayStation every year and Sony makes like 40% of it's total money from microtransactions, which CoD has a big player base that partakes. I'm not at all surprised they're doing everything they can to keep the ball in their court, the game makes them a lot of money.
So you just ignored every number I threw at you…

Either get some numbers or be quiet. Almost 50% of Fortnite’s money comes from Sony. Fortnite makes more money than COD man.

2 months ago '12        #23
 Kewop Decam said
So you just ignored every number I threw at you…

Either get some numbers or be quiet. Almost 50% of Fortnite’s money comes from Sony. Fortnite makes more money than COD man.
I didn't ignore what you said at all. You are no doubt correct about Fortnite, nothing in my response says otherwise. Fortnite is free, it isn't the best 'selling' game.

I'm simply saying that if CoD no longer releases on PlayStation then Sony will lose hundreds of millions of dollars every year, if not more. Why does anyone find it surprising that Jim Ryan is doing his job as a CEO and trying to protect his company's profits?

Last edited by Faythung; 10-02-2022 at 09:27 AM..

2 months ago '08        #24
 Faythung said
I didn't ignore what you said at all. You are no doubt correct about Fortnite, nothing in my response says otherwise. Fortnite is free, it isn't the best 'selling' game.

I'm simply saying that if CoD no longer releases on PlayStation then Sony will lose hundreds of millions of dollars every year, if not more. Why does anyone find it surprising that Jim Ryan is doing his job as a CEO and trying to protect his company's profits?
MS isn’t going to let 1.2 bill just go. I expect them to stop all of Sony’s COD exclusivity.

This is what MS is trying to do which is obvious but people are not putting 2 and 2 together.

MS wants gamepass on everything. They want to be Netflix of gaming and to get rid of doing consoles. COD would damn near force Sony to allow gamepass on the consoles. This doesn’t solve MS’s issue with Nintendo saying no just yet.

MA will use COD to get every console manufacturer to do what they want, which is gamepass.

9 year olds understand gamepass now. It’s only a matter of time unless somehow this deal is k*lled.

2 months ago '05        #25
Double M Set  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 18480 18 K  Slaps total: 3175 3 K
I Wanna Know How Much People Think Sony Or Any Console Company….Gets Paid Off A Game Like Call Of Duty…Lemme Remind You…Artists Get Paid Fractions Of A Dollar When It Comes To Album And Movie Theaters Don’t Make Money Off Ticket Sales

Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
online now  19
Image(s) inside What Books Are Yall Reading Right Now
76 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
+299online now  8
Article inside Psychologists say only 30-50% of people have an internal monologue
276 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
+102online now  6
[Workout] The difference between a weightlifter and a bodybuilder
98 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
online now  6
Article inside The Elder Scrolls 6 Has Bad News for Some Fans