online users
thotties       tv/movies       gaming       gear       tech       guap       rides       eats       health       bxwf       misc

Relative Of Jeffrey Dahmer Victim Says Netflix's Monster Is 'Retraumatizing' Their Family

icon

more
ADVERTISEMENT

topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot 3X PLAT

section  1   0 bx goons and 1 bystanders Share this on Twitter       Share this on Facebook

section tv / movies

1 year ago '18        #1
6617 page views
150 comments

Eclectic  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x255
Props total: 316962 316 K  Slaps total: 10372 10 K
icon Relative Of Jeffrey Dahmer Victim Says Netflix's Monster Is 'Retraumatizing' Their Family

"The blood was in the water for Netflix's "Dahmer" well before the series hit the streaming platform on September 21, 2022. The awkward full title aside ("DAHMER – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story"), the series should have been Netflix gold: it combined the streamer's knack for dramatic true-crime storytelling with the star power of Evan Peters and Ryan Murphy (Peters played the lead role, Murphy — who created hits like*"Glee" and "American Crime Story" — co-created and produced). Certainly, there's been no shortage of content about or inspired by serial-ki1lers in recent years, especially on Netflix.*

So why did "Dahmer" drop with such a quietly squishy plop?

"Dahmer" did not received the traditional Netflix treatment, which is never a good sign. As Stuart Heritage notes in The Guardian, the lack of marketing and manufactured buzz for the series screams of low-faith from the streamer:*

"Dahmer" just arrived. There was no premiere. No media were granted preview access, none of the show's stars were made available for interview. Unless you caught the perfunctory trailer that slid out online five days before the show's release, you would be forgiven for not knowing it existed at all.
The show's ratings*are, so far, mixed, with audiences apparently being more receptive to the show than critics. Heritage describes "Dahmer" as "an almost unwatchably queasy show," noting that rather than focus on the victims or the impact, "Dahmer is undoubtedly fetishised" in the series, which "is unfortunately too infatuated with its star attraction."*But among the show's*biggest critics are the real-life family members of Dahmer's victims, some of whom are actually depicted in the show — and the experience, far from feeling cathartic, is*forcing them to relive the worst moments of their lives.

'It's cruel'

Following the show's premiere,*Eric Perry, cousin of Jeffrey Dahmer victim Errol Lindsey, took to social media to voice his disgust with Netflix and the creative choices in "Dahmer." In a quote tweet that compares a scene from the Netflix series to the real courtroom footage from Dahmer's trial, Perry condemned the show, arguing "it's retraumatizing over and over again, and for what? How many movies/shows/documentaries do we need?"

Perry further pointed to the lack of sensitivity toward the living, many of whom are depicted in the series — without their knowledge, let alone consent. As he explains, because the information is all public record, there was no obligation or requirement for Ryan Murphy Productions to contact those involved in the story, so his "family found out when everyone else did."*Using actual trauma for the sake of entertainment can easily cross the line into exploitation; as Perry states in a tweet, "Recreating my cousin having an emotional breakdown in court in the face of the man who tortured and murdered her brother is WILD."

I can only imagine how violated and disgusted I would feel if I was Rita Isbell, seeing an actor dressed like me recreating such an intensely personal, devastating moment. The purpose of these courtroom testimonies is to find justice, not to entertain. It's frankly disappointing that, in 2022, we're still so callously fascinated with figures like Jeffrey Dahmer.

According to IndieWire, the official word from "Dahmer" is that this wasn't the intention:

The show's production team has defended the project, saying that the goal was never to humanize Dahmer but instead to show the perspectives of the victims and explain the ways that race and s3xuality informed the ki1lings.

Ryan Murphy's legacy

To be fair — and blunt — Murphy has proven his inability to balance good taste and horror thrills over and over again. It's one thing for him to executive produce a true crime series that focuses on well-known and culturally significant court cases, and quite another for him to be given the reins on a project like "Dahmer." Murphy has had fun with real-life serial ki1lers before: just look at "American Horror Story" to find countless examples. And no one has walked away from watching that series feeling like the content was handled with nuance and sensitivity. It's a show that's essentially made ostentatious brutality its defining feature.*

Technically, Murphy has even adapted Dahmer's story before in "American Horror Story" (also the show that capitulated Evan Peters into stardom). In "AHS: Hotel," Seth Gabel played Dahmer for the*"Devil's Night"*episode, which featured notorious real-life serial ki1lers like John Wayne Gacy and*Richard Ramirez (aka the Night Stalker — there is also a Netflix series about him).*

I don't want to belabor the point here, but basically: there's a fine line between taking inspiration from a tragic event, and exploiting horrific (and relatively recent) history inappropriately. Despite the claims of wanting to highlight systemic racism or wanting to humanize Dahmer's real-life victims, the "Monster" series spends five hours painting an intimate portrait of its titular subject before shifting focus to those affected by his actions. It's questionable if Murphy already crossed that line with "AHS," but he definitely does with*"DAHMER – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story."

Read More: ↪ https://www.slashfilm.com .. _campaign=clip
+9   

icon
best
icon
worst
150 comments

1 year ago '10        #2
Delbert Mengel 
Props total: 14850 14 K  Slaps total: 2559 2 K
weirdos pushing this weirdo sh1t. we don't need another dahmer film.
+79   

1 year ago '07        #3
Jumbo Rondo  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x14
Props total: 55815 55 K  Slaps total: 7147 7 K
Im tired of the Dahmer sh1t too but this sh1t is good so
emoji
+71   

1 year ago '04        #4
Prometheus 
Props total: 15598 15 K  Slaps total: 1821 1 K
This may be a stretch.. but why don’t they just not watch it.
+51   

1 year ago '21        #5
The jinx  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x8
Props total: 21692 21 K  Slaps total: 10395 10 K
I actuslly thought about that while watching this.
I stopped watching episode 2. Its just too much g@y sh1t and blood. I dont need to see that and its poison for your brain
+42   

1 year ago '13        #6
EZ Green  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 97387 97 K  Slaps total: 13840 13 K
Man fu#k this show. Jeffrey Dahmer needs to be forgotten. Not romanticized with a damn back story
+60   

1 year ago '15        #7
Mtyjoejnblkblnd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 58890 58 K  Slaps total: 7264 7 K
 The jinx said 🔗
I stopped watching episode 2. Its just too much g@y sh1t and blood. I dont need to see that and its poison for your brain
If you don’t want to watch “g@y sh1t” then why the hell would you even start watching a show about a g@y serial ki1ler?
+35   

1 year ago '15        #8
Mtyjoejnblkblnd  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 58890 58 K  Slaps total: 7264 7 K
 Mtyjoejnblkblnd said 🔗
If you don’t want to watch “g@y sh1t” then why the hell would you even start watching a show about a g@y serial ki1ler?
From what I hear they don’t romanticize him at all.
+8   

1 year ago '17        #9
DaQCKing  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x19
Props total: 178941 178 K  Slaps total: 7181 7 K
Ryan Murphy did his thing with this. Same with The People Vs Oj. I can completely understand the family though.
+21   

1 year ago '17        #10
dubsax  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x2
Props total: 75558 75 K  Slaps total: 6397 6 K
 The jinx said 🔗
nah its actually pretty good if you get through it

It starts out as that because it was who jeffery was.
but in the end it is really about the injustice in policing in the black communities.

It was racism and homophobia by the police that allowed Dahmer to commit so many crimes and thats really what the series focuses on but to know how bad the cops fu#ked up and how sh1tty the situation was you have to know what happened. Most people including myself only knew about the crimes in Milwaukee but didnt know how bad things were and what he did before in Ohio.

after the 2nd episode they really dive into his childhood and how fu#ked up his parents were.

Niecy Nash did a great job and will likely win an Emmy for her role and its cool that her real daughter plays her daughter in the series

Last edited by dubsax; 09-25-2022 at 05:00 PM..
+30   

1 year ago '13        #11
 92Felonies said 🔗
I wonder what’s worse forgetting it did happen

Or putting it into motion pictures

Forgetting issues this serious is no good

I gotta watch this series I been lacking and only fu#king with

House of dragon and sports
" Once upon a time there was a g@y cannibal that targeted black people"

They always find a way to televise some black trauma wont they?!

Im good
+14   

1 year ago '17        #12
 DaQCKing said 🔗
Ryan Murphy did his thing with this. Same with The People Vs Oj. I can completely understand the family though.
Dude he game him a lobotomy with a drill and the cops let it slide and then ended up policemen of the year.

They had it bad but I agree Murphy did a great job in not sugar coating the story.
Its a tough watch and I was going to make a thread when it dropped but I knew it wasnt for everyone.
+14   

1 year ago '21        #13
 Mtyjoejnblkblnd said 🔗
The last dahmer series didnt have in depth g@y scenes.
+4   

1 year ago '21        #14
 dubsax said 🔗
nah its actually pretty good if you get through it

It starts out as that because it was who jeffery was.
but in the end it is really about the injustice in policing in the black communities.

It was racism and homophobia by the police that allowed Dahmer to commit so many crimes and thats really what the series focuses on but to know how bad the cops fu#ked up and how sh1tty the situation was you have to know what happened. Most people including myself only knew about the crimes in Milwaukee but didnt know how bad things were and what he did before in Ohio.

after the 2nd episode they really dive into his childhood and how fu#ked up his parents were.

Niecy Nash did a great job and will likely win an Emmy for her role and its cool that her real daughter plays her daughter in the series
Exactly why i wont be watching it. Typical netflix left wing bullsh1t a bunch of homo sh1t mixed with race sh1t

1 year ago '19        #15
Boxedin1 
Props total: 16509 16 K  Slaps total: 3648 3 K
 EZ Green said 🔗
Man fu#k this show. Jeffrey Dahmer needs to be forgotten. Not romanticized with a damn back story
You do not understand the sh1t that those girls you see with those thick books walking around who act like they cannot tear themselves away are reading. Half of it is s3x and the other half is violence. They are perplexed while entirely hypocritical and obsessed. But they will never let you know.
Same mind frame of a Harry Potter fan but they eventually turn into serial ki1lers pin pals
They feel the same connection we feel listening to gangsta rap without having to commit the crime or do the time
They just happen to be reading it so they feel more sophisticated
@🔗 what part of my statement hurt your fäggöted feelings?

Last edited by Boxedin1; 09-25-2022 at 06:57 PM..

1 year ago '18        #16
Dehone 
Props total: 106806 106 K  Slaps total: 7089 7 K
Yall ain't trying to figure out if anyone was traumatized by Paid in Full and the following glorification of cats from that era.

Did any of yall care about Pain and Gain and the families traumatized about that?

Yall don't give a fu#k about those brothers. It's just ammo against white people who "glorify" Dahmer while ignoring the glorification of the constant ignorance within our own community.

If it was a one and done ki1ling, it would've been all types of "soddom and apocalypse. God punishing the f@gs. Shouldn't have went over there"

Same nikkas whining about Ed Buck when they don't even know ow the names of the brothers who turned up dead at his house. Now yall care about accurate representation of g@y black men.
Phony, see through a$s nikkas.

Fake outrage. Nothing to see here.

emoji

Last edited by Dehone; 09-25-2022 at 05:13 PM..

1 year ago '17        #17
 EZ Green said 🔗
" Once upon a time there was a g@y cannibal that targeted black people"

They always find a way to televise some black trauma wont they?!

Im good
he didnt target black people out of hate, he knew that the systematic racism in policing would allow him to get away with it. The conditions in the community allowed him to blend in. If he lived in a white neighborhood there would have been no way he would have gotten away with the smell of rotting flesh coming out of his apartment for months.
He knew he could hide in the black community. every attempt he made to assimilate in white culture he was kicked out of.

Its really a story about the poor treatment of brown communities by those that own the property or are in charge via the law and law enforcement.

dahmer's crimes were just the vehicle that shines the light on problems we continue to have today
+32   

1 year ago '18        #18
Dehone 
 The jinx said 🔗
Watch Cinemax late nate and act surprised when you see tiddies. You should've been known that
+2   

1 year ago '18        #19
antisocial100 
Props total: 28090 28 K  Slaps total: 7197 7 K
Gonna take an edible and watch. Is it worth it though?

1 year ago '13        #20
 dubsax said 🔗
he didnt target black people out of hate, he knew that the systematic racism in policing would allow him to get away with it. The conditions in the community allowed him to blend in. If he lived in a white neighborhood there would have been no way he would have gotten away with the smell of rotting flesh coming out of his apartment for months.
He knew he could hide in the black community. every attempt he made to assimilate in white culture he was kicked out of.

Its really a story about the poor treatment of brown communities by those that own the property or are in charge via the law and law enforcement.

dahmer's crimes were just the vehicle that shines the light on problems we continue to have today
That sh1t is torture pr0n to me. There are way better black stories they couldve told to get a similiar point across

Last edited by EZ Green; 09-25-2022 at 05:27 PM..
+2   

1 year ago '21        #21
 92Felonies said 🔗
You so crazy you talking about the political aspect of some sh1t

Dude ain’t say sh1t about a left or right wing anything

All of y’all do y’all parts to make the system benefit you

You cats need to be held accountable

Right and left y’all both do nut a$s sh1t

The point was about the injustice of black community
Brought onto them by the police

How you people think is agony

When does the bullsh1t stop
Litteraly every thing on netflix is left wing bullsh1t . Remember cuties , the obama 20 milion deal ? Its why they are struggling so bad and losing money
+2   

1 year ago '05        #22
lamarowns 
Props total: 11183 11 K  Slaps total: 2664 2 K
It looks a little too good, I gotta pa$s because it also looks somewhat accurate
+2   

1 year ago '12        #23
TrillSwag  topics gone triple plat - Number 1 spot x1
Props total: 76984 76 K  Slaps total: 14495 14 K
 EZ Green said 🔗
That sh1t is torture pr0n to me. There are way better black stories they couldve told to get a similiar point across
Literally. I turned it off towards the end of the first episode. I won’t be watching that filth.
+4   

1 year ago '15        #24
LegendLouch 
Props total: 38149 38 K  Slaps total: 6938 6 K
I refuse to watch this bs..how many docs do these sickos need?
+9   

1 year ago '18        #25
Dehone 
The elders were saying the same thing about gangsta rap in the 90s but we had to sh1t on them and justify it by claiming "its just da reality of da streets. This our everyday lives. fu#k what they gotta say", trauma be damned from all the families of those dead and incarcerated black men and broken families

But there's money is black destruction and we're all too willing to partake in and fight for our right to create that content while blaming j3wish people for our actions

Victim mentality

emoji
+1   

say something...

ADVERTISEMENT
Sign me up

yesterday...

most viewed right now
logo LeBron gets called out for stat padding
97 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
props+436
Video inside This is Janet Jackson. She will be 58 this year 💋
69 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+344
Post A Moment That Finished An Artist Career
287 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
props+523
Video inside Man builds backyard bar to get away from his wife..
77 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish